New Relic APM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

New Relic APM is the #2 ranked solution in top Mobile APM tools and #3 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give New Relic APM an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. New Relic APM is most commonly compared to Dynatrace: New Relic APM vs Dynatrace. New Relic APM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 19% of all views.
New Relic APM Buyer's Guide

Download the New Relic APM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2023

What is New Relic APM?

New Relic invented cloud APM for application engineers. Today it is a leader in observability and source of truth for all engineers to make decisions with data across their entire software stack and the software life cycle.

There are an estimated 25 million engineers in the world across more than 25 distinct functions. As every company becomes a software company, engineers are using New Relic to gather real-time insights and trending data about the performance of their software so they can be more resilient and deliver exceptional customer experiences. Only New Relic provides an all-in-one platform that is built and sold as a unified experience. With New Relic, customers get access to a secure telemetry cloud for all metrics, events, logs, and traces; powerful full-stack analysis tools; and predictable user-based pricing. New Relic has also curated one of the industry’s largest ecosystems of open source integrations, making it easy for every engineer to get started with observability and use New Relic alongside their other favorite applications.

Reviews from Real Users

“To me, the most valuable feature of New Relic APM is the traceability, mainly based on the time travel method, so you get the overall response time, which is pretty helpful for developers and ADR techs looking into issues on a deeper level. “ - Sreenivasula M., Sr. Engineer of Quality Assurance at a tech consulting company.

The alert mechanism is quite accurate when something goes wrong in your system. For example, if you have hundreds of APIs on your server, and any of the APIs is not performing well, you get an alert. When there is a drop or change in the threshold value, the beauty of New Relic is that within a fraction of seconds, all the stakeholders who are configured in the New Relic system will get an alert. That's one good thing.” - A PeerSpot user who is a Middleware Specialist at a tech services company.

New Relic APM was previously known as New Relic Mobile.

New Relic APM Customers

Dow Jones, Microsoft, Nike, Groupon, NBC, Sony, Fox, Adobe, Best Buy, Walmart, and WebMD, Cirque du Soleil, FlightNetwork.com, France Télévisions SA, Hachette Book Group, Hy-Vee, Inc., Isolation Network, Inc., Lighthouse eDiscovery, Major League Soccer, NYC-DOT, New Zealand Media and Entertainment, Office Depot International in Europe, Royal Opera House, Adobe Systems Incorporated, American Eagle Outfitters, Inc., Citrix, Despegar.com, Eastern Bank Corporation, Fox Sports, Globosat, Hogg Robinson plc, iHeartMedia, Jive, Kent State University, Multiplus, NBCUniversal, Ocado, REI, Sensis, VenueNext, Yellow Pages Limited and Zenefits

New Relic APM Video

New Relic APM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about New Relic APM pricing:
  • "If I remember it correctly, the pricing was based on the core, and the monthly subscription used to cost us $1,500 or $2,000. We had pre-prod and production services. Costing was different for pre-prod and production. For pre-prod, it was 40% less than the production service cost. It was a combined package."
  • "The solution is priced reasonably. New Relic APM is one of the best products for me because it's economical, so anyone can easily pick it over other solutions and use it."
  • "I think the pricing is reasonable."
  • "We're paying for the New Relic APM license annually."
  • "The pricing is fine."
  • New Relic APM Reviews

Middleware Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides a complete picture of what's happening and has an accurate alert mechanism
    • "The alert mechanism is quite accurate when something goes wrong in your system. For example, if you have hundreds of APIs on your server, and any of the APIs is not performing well, you get an alert. When there is a drop or change in the threshold value, the beauty of New Relic is that within a fraction of seconds, all the stakeholders who are configured in the New Relic system will get an alert. That's one good thing."
    • "One thing that we noticed was that historical information was only for a limited period, which was not helpful in certain scenarios. For example, if I want to size my system for an event for New Year or Christmas season based on the historical data, I won't be able to find the historical data. Currently, the data is limited to three months. It would be helpful if they can provide historical data for a longer duration so that we can plan our system accordingly."

What is our primary use case?

I used it in another organization. I had a project where we were using New Relic for monitoring APIs and utilization of nodes or hosts. It was a standard implementation that involved getting the statistics and configuring New Relic agents on the application servers. The data was sniffed from the network based on the configuration and then it was saved. We were using the out-of-the-box capability of New Relic. We didn't do any customization on New Relic.

How has it helped my organization?

It was a good solution. My boss, who was a VP, was very happy with the system, and he didn't want to change the system because it was working well. Whenever anything went wrong, we got clear information about that on the fly. This information helped the operations team in sorting things faster. It gave clear information and a complete picture of what was happening in our system, which helped the operations team in performing the required actions.

What is most valuable?

There is a dashboard where you can view API-wise performance. When you click specific APIs, you can get detailed statistics for the same.

New Relic APM
    January 2023
    Learn what your peers think about New Relic APM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2023.
    672,785 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It was used for more than four years.

Its stability is quite good. We don't see any issues with the stability.

We never had any challenges because our servers were scaled based on the load. When our load increased, we used to keep adding our servers to New Relic. We didn't see any challenges. It just required the agent configuration on the server. The only thing is that you have to put in more money when you are adding servers.

It was straightforward. We didn't see any complexity because the setup of New Relic on the client side or the application side is more of the agent configuration.

Once your agents are configured in the pre-prod or production environment, the feed used to be taken automatically. The only thing is you have to open the proxy to the New Relic system. If that is done, the rest is taken care of automatically. I don't see any challenge.

For the setup, we had one person from the customer IT who coordinated with the network team and got the proxy opened, and then tested connectivity between the on-premise site and New Relic data center.

Later on, we had one person for configuration because sometimes, we also did data masking when we wanted to mask certain data. We didn't want that feed to go to the New Relic data center. We didn't want that data to be exposed. To query the system, there were queries available in the New Relic documentation, and we used to follow that. We also had a customized dashboard. We could prepare our own dashboard for our critical use cases such as payments.

I would rate it a four out of five in terms of ROI.

We had pre-prod and production services. Costing was different for pre-prod and production. For pre-prod, it was 40% less than the production service cost. It was a combined package.

With our licensing, we could only query three months of data from the New Relic system. When we wanted to have the historical information, they said that it is going to be an additional licensing at an additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

You have to see the costs. If you want to scale to a larger system or you want to implement New Relic for the entire enterprise, the cost is going to be high because you have to run hundreds of servers. If you take the frontend applications, mobile applications, and required servers, there will be a huge load and traffic. Dynatrace is one of the alternatives. Our last customer wanted to scale, and they found Dynatrace to be better than New Relic in terms of features and price.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten. It is one of the best products. The customer used it for more than four years before moving to Dynatrace. We were happy with it. The alert mechanism and other features were quite good.

Lead at Laminaar Aviation
    It has a good response time and valuable features such as synthetic alert, time travel, and traceability
    • "The synthetic alert is the most valuable feature in New Relic APM. I also like the time travel feature and find traceability useful in the solution. New Relic APM also has good response times."
    • "The UX/UI design of New Relic APM could be improved. The solution currently has some slow pages in terms of loading and viewing the pages, for example, the reports. The reports and other pages take a long time to load."

What is our primary use case?

We used New Relic APM for monitoring our data.

What is most valuable?

The synthetic alert is the most valuable feature in New Relic APM. I also like the time travel feature and find traceability useful in the solution.

New Relic APM also has good response times.

In the pro licensing model of the solution, my company used the data analysis feature more and took care of more complex workloads that my team could easily track. Data analysis is another feature of New Relic APM which I found helpful.

What needs improvement?

The UX/UI design of New Relic APM could be improved. The solution currently has some slow pages in terms of loading and viewing the pages, for example, the reports. The reports and other pages take a long time to load, so if that area could be improved, especially when looking for data, it would enhance New Relic APM.

I started using New Relic APM around March of this year, 2022, until June, so my experience with it is almost a year.

New Relic APM is a very stable solution.

You can scale New Relic APM, but I expected it to be more scalable.

If you contact New Relic APM technical support during office hours, then the team is responsive, but sometimes, it's delayed, especially when you contact support during offline hours. New Relic APM support is limited, so I'd rate this area as three out of five.

I used Dynatrace before using New Relic APM, but that was in my past organization. I switched to New Relic APM because I moved to another organization. I also use Datadog, but mostly, it's New Relic APM that I'm using.

In my current organization, I did some POCs, but not effectively, so I've only used New Relic APM and no other solutions, at least in the organization I belong to now.

I used to handle the New Relic APM setup process more for algorithms, mainly writing algorithms to define the rules for better tracking. I focused on the time travel, traceability, and other valuable features of the solution, primarily monitoring and not the initial setup for New Relic APM because the IT team took care of that process.

On the part I handled, the process was seamless, and there was nothing complex about it, but it could be because I asked for help from the IT team. The process was average. It wasn't very smooth and wasn't very complex either, so neutral.

The initial setup for New Relic APM, which was done by the IT team, took more than a day.

The IT department took care of deploying New Relic APM. The implementation was in-house, and New Relic gave my company a server similar to a one-of-a-kind setup tool that you can install within half a day.

The IT department handles New Relic APM licensing, but the solution is priced reasonably. I'm actively using the mobile monitoring function of New Relic APM, and it's one of the best products for me because it's economical, so anyone can easily pick it over other solutions and use it. It has basic features.

My company went for the New Relic APM sixty-day free trial, so there was a limitation to the number of people that could use the product. It only allowed twenty-one users maximum.

New Relic presented New Relic APM pricing and packages very well. For example, there's silver and platinum, and each package was easy and more economical than other tools. In this context, I'd recommend New Relic APM because of its reasonable price and package.

My company initially used the standard New Relic APM package, and by the end of the month, it moved to the pro model, which had low, flexible pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I was into this Dynatrace, a monitoring tool in my previous organization, but not now.

I'm now using New Relic APM at an organizational level rather than a personal level.

New Relic APM has an on-premise deployment; though my company planned to deploy it on the cloud, it wasn't successful, so another solution for cloud deployment is now being tested from AWS.

As New Relic APM is one of the best solutions in the market, my rating for it is eight out of ten. I didn't give it a ten because of the support, reporting, and UI/UX that need improvement.

I'd recommend the solution even to startups or novices planning to do some monitoring, and in the future, New Relic APM could compete with similar tools used by the experts.

At the moment, nine people, mostly software engineers, use New Relic APM within my organization. The software engineers get the alerts from the product.

New Relic APM requires maintenance by a minimum of three resources, and it would depend on the requirements, tools, and features. For example, my company currently uses three New Relic APM platforms, web, mobile, and desktop.

My company is just a user, not a partner of New Relic APM.

New Relic APM
    January 2023
    672,785 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Director of Performance Testing at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Easy to set up, great for finding performance issues, and offers good documentation
    • "The solution offers good documentation."
    • "Real-user monitoring would be helpful as it would help me to really understand the client-side performance of the application."

What is our primary use case?

We do have a couple of applications for one of our customers. We are involved in performance testing and engineering of those applications. We use New Relic in multiple areas. It's used to monitor infrastructure in this use case. We capture the metrics around the utilizations on the infrastructure.

We do also identify bottlenecks of the services or the calls, which are causing high response times.

Those are two key areas where we have been using New Relic. We have been able to identify calls that are causing a lot of performance issues in the overall application, and then that, in turn, helps us to see what can be tuned to bring the performance to a better state.

What is most valuable?

It's a build-down feature, so you have the option to drill down when a call is being received. It further drills down the method level and shows which particular method or hit is actually causing the performance issue.

It's a common feature for all APM tools. That is the key benefit of any APM tool - it helps you to understand and get to the bottom of the issue or the root cause at the earliest possible time.

The solution offers good documentation.

It's pretty easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

Real-user monitoring would be helpful as it would help me to really understand the client-side performance of the application. Maybe for whatever reason, we have not got to explore a similar kind of feature in New Relic.

I've been working with the solution for a year.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. The deployment is not done by us; however, when we have to add new services or new components, it is pretty easy. The turnaround is also pretty quick.

Our team just accesses the client's New Relic tool. It's typically just used by performance testers and engineers. It also sometimes gets used by architects as well the development team. From our side, we have three people working on the solution.

While my understanding is they do provide technical support, I've never needed to reach out to them. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

I'm more familiar with the likes of Dynatrace, AppDynamics, and New Relic.

We are just getting into a scenario where we might end up using AppDynamics. Otherwise, I haven't used anything before New Relic in a similar way.

From a documentation standpoint, it is pretty straightforward to set up New Relic assets. The infrastructure isn't that complex. To be honest, we haven't been involved in setting it up from an infrastructure setup standpoint. We have more consumers from which we use a setup that has been done to identify bottlenecks.

There's no specific maintenance that's been required unless they've changed endpoints which would need to be configured. It is something that's natural. When we do changes to the application and change endpoints, we'll have to configure the right endpoint. Otherwise, from a maintenance standpoint, given it's cloud and it's a storage medium, it doesn't need any major maintenance activity.

The customer tends to handle the deployment process.

I've done some research, more towards trying to understand various features. The customer, however, decides what tool to use. I don't really have the authority to compare anything and make suggestions.

That said, when it comes to New Relic against AppDynamics against Dynatrace, or for that matter, Datadog, there are a few which have a higher price and provide richer UI. We did not really end up seeing a very major difference except in terms of monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

We are likely working with the latest version of the solution.

The product has been pretty easy, and it is quite user-friendly in terms of trying to understand it. New Relic looks more at observability as a key factor. With it, you have front-end observability and back-end observability. My suggestion to others would be to go over them and also see if they can look at getting the documentation that's available to explore New Relic and then start with it that way so that it's easier for them to get started.

The other part is once they are used to New Relic, they can also look into a bootcamp that's run by New Relic, or a workshop. If they could attend it and then go into New Relic, that would be easier. They do have certifications as well which would also validate the knowledge that they gain on New Relic.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Devendra Tiwari - PeerSpot reviewer
    Group Engineer Manager at Embibe
    MSP
    Useful service map feature and reasonably priced but the visibility can be improved
    • "The simplicity of the dashboard is very good."
    • "It is very difficult to award the service level cycles at an endpoint level."

What is most valuable?

The service map feature is very useful.

The simplicity of the dashboard is very good. It shows the throughput latency and all of the transactions.

What needs improvement?

It offers transactions, but it does not offer an endpoint-level insight at the URL level. When we get a request, we want to know what the life cycle of that service is, and where the cycle is. This is what I am trying to locate with most of the solutions now.

I am trying to research how to find a cycle per endpoint and not at the service level.

It is very difficult to award the service level cycles at an endpoint level. It is important for us to get new insights to create better hygiene around the business use cases.

At the endpoint level, the visibility is not that great, and metrics are not available. It gives you a full view of the entire function's execution and not from the context of the URL altogether.

Also the response time, the latency contribution, and the throughput contribution are areas that need improvement. You can get the throughput contribution from New Relic, but not the latency contributions. You cannot get it at all.

These are the major limitations. When working with AppDynamics, I did not find any limitations, but the same can not be said with New Relic.

The way that it classifies the actual services is a bit ambiguous. It's not perfect. For example, I see there are certain solutions that are listed as extra services, as a dependency, and still I find that among load contribution, it tries to show that those services separately, which is confusing.

With the transactions, when it tries to show a type of "bufferHandler" from inside, it doesn't show what the nature of the request is. Especially with Microservices, it doesn't show what kind of method is present, which makes finding data very difficult. Instead, you need to go to the raw data. I think that defeats the purpose of using this tool.

The transactions do not show the time consumed by the request, from the metrics execution perspective. It was suggested that I did not know how to read it but I have done all that I could. It is very difficult to relate to and requires a lot of experience and time to read through, which it should not.

It should not be difficult to find the latency and throughput for the entire system when requested. It should not be difficult to develop the data that relates to the various types of execution.

It should have complete exposure around the endpoints.

The services-to-service dependency is fine but most of the startups have only one or two services that are all cycled. It does not provide you with a lot of help when you are showing that the two services are dependent.

What all of the dependent endpoints are and how are the cycles being formed is information that should be available in most tools, but not with New Relic and some other tools.

I have been using New Relic APM for one year, but in-depth in the last two months.

We are not using the latest version but within the year.

Almost all of the developers are using this solution in our organization. We have approximately 60 users.

It is used on a day-to-day basis.

I have not used technical support.

Previously, almost four years ago, I used AppDynamics. I think that it is a very good tool. I would rate AppDymanmics an eight out of ten.

We changed to another solution because of the cost. All of the developers loved the AppDynamics dashboard. It was very clear.

I was not a part of the team for the setup but my impression is that the documentation could have been better. It didn't make much sense.

For beginners using New Relic, the setup can be difficult and should be simplified.

We have a DevOps team to maintain this solution, but it doesn't require a lot of maintenance.

I think the pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

There is a good bare minimum of required features for this tool, but if they are out to the in-depth analysis then finding a cross-dimensional relationship is not straightforward. It is difficult to implement.

If you are concerned about how your services behave, then New Relic shouldn't be your first choice. However, if you are considering New Relic APM, is a very affordable choice.

I would rate New Relic APM a seven out of ten.

Iqbal Khowaja - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Technology Officer at State of Hawaii
    Has a simple user interface and end-to-end monitoring and self-healing features
    • "What I like best about New Relic APM is its user interface because it's simple. The most valuable feature of New Relic APM is end-to-end monitoring."
    • "New Relic APM is a good tool, and it has a database of failures, but it could use a list of customer-specific failures. New Relic APM should be able to give my company advanced analytics through AI."

What is our primary use case?

We use New Relic APM for application monitoring, so if the application goes down, we do the root-cause analysis of why it went down. Was it the database? Was it the middle tier? We try to find out where it is and determine why the component went down.

We also use New Relic APM for its self-healing mechanism, which helps us determine the application's needs if it goes down. What data does it require? What was missing? Was the application able to send an email or a text alert?

We also have contractors responsible for the upkeep of the application. We have service-level agreements with these vendors, so we try to figure out how to incentivize or disincentivize the vendor. We try to measure their KPIs and SLAs, so New Relic APM tells us the uptime for the application for a month, a quarter, and a year.

These are our use cases for the solution.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about New Relic APM is its user interface because it's simple.

The tool lets us view what caused issues, especially in the cloud, where so many things could go wrong.

The most valuable feature of New Relic APM is end-to-end monitoring.

What needs improvement?

New Relic APM is a good tool, and it has a database of failures, but it could use a list of customer-specific failures. For example, if my application went down last year, it should figure out why it went down and what the root cause is through artificial intelligence and machine learning.

New Relic APM should be able to give my company advanced analytics through AI.

The tool has a self-healing mechanism, advanced analytics, and the ability to send alerts, but in the next release, I'd like more improvement on that front, including better AI and machine learning.

I've been using New Relic APM, on and off, for about ten years.

New Relic APM is a very stable tool.

New Relic APM is a scalable tool.

My company has dedicated customer support for New Relic APM, and I found the support available and always helpful. I'd rate customer support as nine out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We used Splunk, AppDynamics, and Datadog, apart from New Relic APM, but New Relic APM was the best in terms of MVP (Minimum Viable Product).

I wouldn't say that the initial setup for New Relic APM is easy, but it's comparable to other tools because of the comprehensive documentation you can use as a guide. My company also has very knowledgeable engineers who set up the tool.

It took about six weeks to deploy New Relic APM completely.

We implemented New Relic APM through our in-house team.

We've seen ROI from New Relic APM, so we renewed it last September.

We're paying for the New Relic APM license annually.

We evaluated several tools, such as AppDynamics and Datadog, where we did demos and test runs.

What other advice do I have?

My organization uses many application performance management solutions, such as AppDynamics, New Relic APM, Splunk, and Datadog. I'm the CTO for the state of Hawaii, and across the board, different departments use different APM tools.

I'm using the latest version of New Relic APM, but I cannot recall the exact version.

My company has a dozen engineers using and monitoring New Relic APM.

I'd tell anyone planning to use New Relic APM that it has to fit what you have. For example, most of my company's payload is in AWS, and the tool has adopters and features that CloudWatch cannot provide. Still, New Relic APM can, so you should do a demo or trial run first and see if it's a tool that'll help you with end-to-end monitoring. New Relic APM is working well for my company, so an excellent way to start is to do a trial run to see how the tool works out for your current applications.

My rating for the tool is nine out of ten because my experience with it has been great. New Relic also worked closely with my company and has always been upfront on what's available and what's not.

My company is a New Relic APM customer.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Sreenivasula Mukkamalla - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr.Engineer csit Quality Assurance at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
    Tailor-made, stable, with no outages or lags, and has a traceability feature that's helpful for developers and ADR techs looking into issues on a deeper level
    • "To me, the most valuable feature of New Relic APM is the traceability, mainly based on the time travel method, so you get the overall response time, which is pretty helpful for developers and ADR techs looking into issues on a deeper level. New Relic APM is a very good, tailor-made solution."
    • "Documentation could be improved in New Relic APM, so users would have more clarity on configuring the dashboard. If New Relic gave better guidelines, users would find it easier to understand the metrics and features of New Relic APM. Another area for improvement is integration with Kubernetes. Currently, the process isn't user-friendly. It's challenging and lacks documentation for users to understand how to integrate New Relic APM with Kubernetes quickly. With multiple levels of Kubernetes dockers and other DBs on different clouds, it's tricky to gather all into New Relic APM on a single dashboard. What I'd like to see in the next version of New Relic APM is a single dashboard where you can easily view which applications fall under specific APMs. If there's a search feature where you can type in a keyword to find out if an APM is related to a particular application, that would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We use New Relic APM to gather performance monitoring metrics such as thread count, CPU, response time, JVMs, and DB connectivity. New Relic APM is an observability tool.

What is most valuable?

To me, the most valuable feature of New Relic APM is the traceability, mainly based on the time travel method, so you get the overall response time, which is pretty helpful for developers and ADR techs looking into issues on a deeper level.

New Relic APM is a very good, tailor-made solution.

What needs improvement?

Documentation could be improved in New Relic APM, so users would have more clarity on configuring the dashboard. If New Relic gave better guidelines, users would find it easier to understand the metrics and features of New Relic APM.

Another area for improvement is integration with Kubernetes. Currently, the process isn't user-friendly. It's challenging and lacks documentation for users to understand how to integrate New Relic APM with Kubernetes quickly. With multiple levels of Kubernetes dockers and other DBs on different clouds, it's tricky to gather all into New Relic APM on a single dashboard.

What I'd like to see in the next version of New Relic APM is a single dashboard where you can easily view which applications fall under specific APMs. If there's a search feature where you can type in a keyword to find out if an APM is related to a particular application, that would be great.

I've been using New Relic APM for four years now.

New Relic APM is a stable solution, and I've never seen any outages from it.

New Relic APM is a scalable solution.

Support for New Relic APM is up to the mark, mainly because I belong to a big organization with dedicated email and Slack support. The support team gives clarifications about usability and configurations. I'm giving New Relic APM support a five on a scale of one to five.

My company also uses AppDynamics and Datadog for some of the applications, but those will be moved entirely to New Relic APM, as the tool is very user-friendly and has no lags. AppDynamics, on the other hand, has some delay, and you have to inject some methods in writing applications to gather the metrics. Performance-wise, New Relic APM is better and doesn't cause a high response time compared to other solutions.

Other teams handle the installation and configuration for New Relic APM.

I'm unaware of how much the license for New Relic APM costs.

What other advice do I have?

My company is currently using New Relic APM.

Over a thousand people from different teams use New Relic APM within the company. My company currently has two hundred to three hundred applications, so even if New Relic APM is used occasionally, because of the number of applications it's being used on, usage of the tool could result in almost daily usage.

As New Relic APM is user-friendly, it's a tool I can recommend to others, but before making the purchase, you should utilize the free trial version, and also look at the sample dashboards provided by New Relic, which you can show to the customers to better explain how the dashboards look and what New Relic APM is used for.

My rating for New Relic APM is eight out of ten, as there's always space for improvement.

My company is a customer of New Relic APM.

Director at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides synthetic monitoring of all APIs
    • "One valuable feature is that the synthetic alert stays open until the issue is resolved. You can actually monitor whether your system is back up."
    • "I would like the ability to set up certain dummy accounts and do the actual things that the customer is doing, without impacting the production environment."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for synthetic monitoring of all the APIs. It helps to detect if any APIs are failing before a customer detects an issue.

The solution was deployed on cloud.

There were 15 people using this solution. They worked on the configurations and setting alerts for new environments and customers. The solution was used on a daily basis.

At my previous organization, they were planning to replace New Relic with Google Apigee. That was only to be done in conjunction with the cloud migration from the in-house hosted apps.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like the ability to set up certain dummy accounts and do the actual things that the customer is doing, without impacting the production environment. Only the read APIs are called from New Relic, not the write APIs. If we had a test account to do the write part of it, it would give us better monitoring. For example, if we are selecting the data for an existing account, we can do that part of the monitoring with New Relic.

When we see failures and slowness, I would like there to be an option to do a deep dive into a collection of metrics to show the bottlenecks. It would be helpful if it didn't just state the problem, but indicate the areas to look at for a deeper resolution of the problem.

I have used this solution for three years.

It's mostly stable.

It was scalable.

Technical support is responsive, but you need to create a support ticket with the right priority, which is based on certain questions that they ask. If it's created with the right priority, they will respond. If your ticket is created with a lower priority, they will respond on the next business day.

I would rate technical support as five out of five.

I have also used AppDynamics to show us the time that the APIs were at a certain level, like the database level or application level. I think New Relic has started implementing the ability to trace transactions to that level, but I don't know if that feature was well developed because I didn't use it a lot in New Relic.

In Apigee, for example, they monitor a certain percentage of the transactions to show where the bottlenecks are.

The supportability in AppDynamics is good.

Setup was pretty smooth. I wasn't involved in initial setup, but for newer customers and installations, setup wasn't very cumbersome.

Initial setup was done by New Relic, but we did later installations ourselves.

The pricing is fine.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

My advice is to have a project plan in terms of what you want to monitor. You can monitor various micro-services, but you probably want to restrict the monitoring to what exactly impacts the customers. Have a plan for implementation, the components you want to monitor first, the components you want to monitor later, and an automation strategy for synthetic monitoring. For example, for the right APIs, think about whether you can have monitoring using synthetic accounts.

Product Manager Cloud at Pricer
    User-friendly with good insights and an overall good product
    • "Working with the solution is very easy. It's user-friendly."
    • "It would be nice if there were pre-made dashboards."

What is our primary use case?

Basically, I'm helping a customer of mine to set up monitoring items. What I'm doing is comparing solutions in order to create a document that I can give them so that they can pick one final solution.

What is most valuable?

The client is looking for infrastructure and for an application.

So far, we like the insights.

Working with the solution is very easy. It's user-friendly.

Overall, it's a good product, from what we have evaluated.

Currently, we're more in the process of gathering materials. The solution is quite new for us.

What needs improvement?

I haven't yet had too much of a chance to read up on the product or to compare it to other solutions to see if there are items that are standard elsewhere but lacking in this product. I need more time with the solution to really talk about any shortcomings if they exist at all.

It would be nice if there were pre-made dashboards. There should be out-of-the-box options that you can have. It would be nice to have something already done, so that you don't need to reinvent the wheel again, to create your own dashboard.

The pricing might be high if you are a company that goes through a lot of data.

I've been using the solution for about two years or so.

We're working on figuring out the pricing.

It looks like it's a little bit about how much data you ingest. Therefore, if you have a big environment, then it might not be good to ingest that month, as that much data will cost you a lot.

On the other hand, Dynatrace has a good set of features where you can trace down to the application. However, they are more expensive they don't have some dashboards and cost is an issue for the client.

I'm also looking at Dynatrace and Datadog.

The thing is all of these three solutions are doing the same thing. It depends. What we're currently comparing is pricing and if they work for the company on a budget level. We want to see what offers the most for the best rate. We're still trying to figure that out.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a consultant. I'm not a partner or a user of the solution.

I'm not sure if I have any specific advice to a company considering this solution as we are still in the early days of considering of this solution is the right fit. However, it's important to go through the process and examine a solution according to your company's unique needs. What works for our client might not work for everyone and vice versa. There needs to be a bit of research.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's a good product. It just depends on what you need as a company.

Download our free New Relic APM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: January 2023