IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Webex OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Webex is #3 ranked solution in top Virtual Meetings tools. PeerSpot users give Webex an average rating of 8 out of 10. Webex is most commonly compared to Zoom: Webex vs Zoom. Webex is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
Webex Buyer's Guide

Download the Webex Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Webex?

Webex is designed to help companies improve communication and increase productivity with unlimited HD video meetings in shared meeting spaces.

Companies can use Webex, a Cisco product, to collaborate with peers, share documents and other information, create high-impact webinars and online events, and present dynamic online courses. It can be tailored to your exact company needs and can be fully integrated with mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, and BlackBerry.

Webex was previously known as Cisco Spark.

Webex Customers

Seagate Technology, Kohn Pedersen Fox, World Vision International, Glen Raven, University of Notre Dame, CEV Multimedia, The Food Group, LUMEDX, California Baptist University, and Georgetown University Law Center.

Webex Video

Webex Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Webex pricing:
  • "The price should be improved significantly."
  • "Price is the one area where Webex needs to improve relative to its competitors. It's difficult to sell to small and medium-sized businesses (SMB) because of the license price."
  • "My organization took care of the licensing. I'm guessing they did some subscription cycle, but I used the free version."
  • "You can opt for yearly licensing with Webex."
  • Webex Reviews

Account Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    A stable and scalable solution with good tech support that has the hardware and camera features to track one's movements
    • "The camera moves in tandem with the person who is using it to communicate with the other participants."
    • "The interconnectivity of all of the solution's facilities and functions can be more complex than that which is involved in basic configuration, when equipment, telephone extensions or other mobile apps are thrown into the mix."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version for Mac. We primarily use the solution for meetings with coworkers.

What is most valuable?

When the solution is used comprehensively, the hardware and camera features combine to make it better than all others I have encountered. This is because the camera moves in tandem with the person who is using it to communicate with the other participants.  This is one of the solution's best features. I have not encountered such features with Zoom, which are essentially involve one-on-one meetings. Webex has the hardware to allow for this.

What needs improvement?

The price should be improved significantly. The software, licenses and hardware combine to make the solution extremely expensive.  The interconnectivity of all of the solution's facilities and functions can be more complex than that which is involved in basic configuration, when equipment, telephone extensions or other mobile apps are thrown into the mix.

To be sure, the solution is stable.
    Webex
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Webex. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is certainly scalable. A feature we were lacking in Mexico involved the capability to interconnect with the local telephone companies. We are talking about the prospect of increasing the usage. During this year and last, we increased the use of any kind of non-contact communication using Webex or Zoom, the latter being preferred by some our customers who have Zoom implemented it in their companies - the reason we utilize it. However, for internal use, we exclusively utilize Webex.

We receive good technical support from Cisco.

We have been using Webex since I first entered the company in 2012 or 2013, as the company places a premium on fiscal solutions. It is for this reason that it adopted this technology from the outset.  The solution combines its hardware and camera features to give it a superior edge over all others, with the camera moving in pace with the person who is communicating with other participants. I consider this to be the solution's most valuable feature and have not encountered it with Zoom, which is basically geared towards one-on-one meetings.

The difficulty involved in the initial setup can vary. The solution is easy to configure for basic use, such as one-on-one meetings or those involving multiple parties. It is more difficult to interconnect all the facilities and functions when one adds equipment and telephone extensions or other mobile apps. While I do not recall how long the deployment took, the configuration of all of the functions lasted two or three days. However, there is a need to be certified by Cisco, Webex and IP telephony for this solution.

When it comes to the deployment and maintenance, there are a couple field agents who are responsible for this.

I cannot say for certain whether we have seen an ROI, return on our investment.

I find the solution to be very expensive. The software, licensing and hardware add up significantly.  I do not have the licensing figures offhand, but the prices vary with the features one wishes to add to the license. There exists the option of a free license for one-on-one or one-on-two video calls, but adding more people requires one to upgrade his license. The licensing fees vary with the features one utilizes, web or call conferencing incurring a basic licensing fee. An upgraded license is required if one wishes to add a mobile app or conference. There is, yet, a separate license for integrating one's computer, cell, office or desk phone. We are talking about a sort of unit for each of the features, different licensing fees applying for those which are basic, intermediate and complete. I believe these range from $120-$130 up to $700.

What other advice do I have?

I feel the solution to be very complete.  I am a Webex customer.  While there are 20 to 25 people making use of the solution in our organization, we also use it with another company of ours which has implemented it and this places the number in the company at around 25 to 30 people. Each person has a different role and is dispersed in a disparate location in the north and center of Mexico.  I would consider the move from on-premises to cloud-based implementation to be a positive step. This makes the solution a good instrument in such countries as the United States, the UK and Germany, where there is much integration with the local cell or telephone companies. We are talking about a good investment, as it allows one to integrate his office or home phones with the solution. I rate Webex as a nine out of ten.
    Ahmed Naji - PeerSpot reviewer
    Pre Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    More stable than most, but too pricey for small businesses and support is subpar
    • "What I value most about Webex is its stability compared to other solutions."
    • "Webex support is not good. When we try to open a ticket, it takes approximately 24 hours. With Microsoft, we get support within two or three hours."

What is our primary use case?

We use Webex for our critical or government customers, and when we're dealing with complex network infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

What I value most about Webex is its stability compared to other solutions. Webex comes from Cisco, which is a good brand. The name itself is a selling point.

What needs improvement?

They have a feature that is amazing but it's not implemented properly. It's called Profile Insight and it's similar to LinkedIn. Before you join a meeting, you can see the background of the person. But the problem is the implementation. There is so much missing information. This could be integrated with LinkedIn or something so it can produce more information about the person you're meeting with. Also, they've been announcing that they will add AI translation since 2019, but we're still not seeing that upgrade.

I've been working with Webex for more than five years.

Webex support is not good and I can really only give them one star for support. Cisco is now transitioning from hardware-based infrastructure to software. So when you are migrating, you see the videos, user manual, configuration guidelines, etc. and it all looks simple, but when we start implementing, we face some integration issues. And when we try to open a ticket, it takes approximately 24 hours. With Microsoft, we get support within two or three hours. Zoom also has very good support. And unfortunately, they are selling the package of support separately, so we can't know what level of support we will get. But that's including with the license itself. So in this case, since they are similar to Microsoft, Zoom, Slack, and others, they should have the same support services.

There is some confusion for our customers who use Webex for the first time. Webex has two software products that are similar: Webex Teams and Webex Meetings. Webex Teams comes with the default license even if you didn't purchase it. If you have a Webex Meetings license, you get both. When they are installing Webex Teams for the first time, they are unable to join the meeting. When they install and they search on Google for "Webex Meetings installation," the first download option on the Webex website is Webex Teams. To join a meeting as a new user, you have to install Webex Meetings not Webex Teams.

We constantly deal with this confusion. It costs us time especially when we're dealing with a critical client who working from a remote site. So they install the first Webex and it does not work. Then they have to install the other one. So sometimes we have to send the link directly to him. So we only experience this kind of confusion with Webex, not in other vendors I believe.

Price is the one area where Webex needs to improve relative to its competitors. It's difficult to sell to small and medium-sized businesses (SMB) because of the license price. It's not very competitive with a product like Microsoft Teams because that is bundled with Microsoft 365, so the price will be lower. With SMBs, we face an issue when we try to sell Webex as a stand-alone product. It's easier to sell if it is packaged with Cisco infrastructure, IP phones, CallManager, and everything else. So they need to consider the needs of SMBs in their pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I give Webex a six out of 10, which I think is fair. They offer flexibility with every vendor, but there are issues with support and integration. Then there is the issue of price, which isn't affordable for SMBs.

Webex
    June 2022
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Consultant - Risk and compliance at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to use with good stability and excellent audio capabilities
    • "The solution makes it easy for us as a team to collaborate remotely."
    • "The solution should come as a big client for the system. It should be able to be used just like chat software when necessary, similar to instant messaging."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for any virtual meeting. We use it for web meetings that require audio communication, text communication, and video. Video is not essential for us most of the time, however. It's not critical to see staff during, for example, team meetings.

What is most valuable?

The chat functionality and the audio capabilities are the solution's most valuable features. For us, video isn't important as long as audio is good.

The presentation of the solution is very efficient.

The solution makes it easy for us as a team to collaborate remotely.

All of the basic features are fantastic. I couldn't rank them in terms of "favorite", and they are all pretty standard within any other similar product, like Zoom or Microsoft Teams.

Webex offers very good bandwidth managed tools. Even with low or poor bandwidth, the solution works pretty well.

What needs improvement?

Currently, the solution isn't really lacking in features.

We've been using the solution for eight years now.

The stability of the solution is excellent compared to other solutions on the market. The solution also works seamlessly with both desktop and mobile devices.

Scalability is fantastic. It's really seamless. If you need to have a big meeting, you can do so quite easily with this solution. It works well. It supports a lot of people at once. It may be that up to one hundred users can join a single call. We've tested the solution with this amount of people and it worked fine. However, largely, we wouldn't do that. We'd run something of that size more like a one-way meeting, similar to a webinar so that things are kept orderly.

I've never contacted technical support directly. We have our own internal team that handles any troubleshooting that needs to happen.

The licensing costs are usually billed on a subscription basis, however I don't know whether it's monthly or yearly. I also don't know the exact costs to our organization. I'm only aware that it's a subscription-based model. There aren't any extra costs on top of the standard licensing fee that is charged.

What other advice do I have?

We schedule calls often with this solution. We schedule a meeting and dial-in to the meeting. When I say dial-in, it's web-based or a data connection, not a traditional voice call. You don't need a phone to use the service.

I would rate this product an eight out of ten. Other products are also doing the same jobs, and run the same tasks. The only difference is stability. Especially when we do screen sharing, compared to other products, Webex performance is much better.

The solution is provided from the cloud, so we're always using the most up-to-date version of the solution. Webex ensures everything is always automatically updated.

Private Cloud

Other
    Program Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use, but needs password protection for meetings
    • "One of the most valuable features of Webex was that it was easy to use and there were no hassles."
    • "Webex could be improved by having a password-protected system. I don't remember there being any passwords for the meetings, but, presently, Zoom has meeting protection."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of Webex was virtual meetings. Recordings would go to the cloud, and since it was cloud-based, I used the latest version of Webex.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Webex could be improved by having a password-protected system. I don't remember there being any passwords for the meetings, but, presently, Zoom has meeting protection.

I used Webex from the time I joined my organization, in 2016, until 2019.

Webex is stable. Comparatively, it is much better—I've had no issues.

This solution is scalable. In my organization, Webex has been replaced by Zoom, so that's what everyone uses.

I did not face any issues, so I never contacted technical support. The only issue I faced was the safety aspect, on a personal basis, but besides that I didn't face any issues.

Webex was installed by the respective department in my organization's system.

I implemented through an in-house team.

My organization took care of the licensing. I'm guessing they did some subscription cycle, but I used the free version.

We have switched to using Zoom. Compared to Webex, Zoom is much more upgraded, but not as easy to use. The only thing about Webex is we didn't have any password features and all that, which we do have in Zoom. If you compare Webex and Zoom, both are good in their own rights.

Zoom's installation was easy—I did it myself and it took probably five minutes. I use Zoom for personal purposes as well as in my company. My personal one is unlicensed and just for meetings that are 15-20 minutes long. My company's version was installed by them, so I'm not sure whether it's an enterprise or free version of a license. There are over 10,000 people in my organization who use Zoom.

According to some articles I read in regards to Zoom, if I'm using it for personal purposes, it does take data. When I read the privacy policies and the terms and conditions, it takes all the data from your mobile or the laptop that you're using. So there is a threat, when you're using it for personal requirements, that it can take your data: the contact details, photos, even your bank details if you keep it on your mobile. So on a personal note, I won't use it. I have it installed, but only because of my organization's requirements. But if it's for a personal thing, no.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Webex a seven out of ten. I think I would recommend Webex to others, but password protection needs to be added.

CISO & COO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Easy to setup with a good noise cancelling feature and a payment-free tier
    • "The solution has been very stable."
    • "The base application uses a lot of resources. They could work on the performance of the application so that it's less heavy."

What is our primary use case?

I use this tool to communicate with my team. I have a developer team, so I use this tool to communicate with them. We use both the chat and the video conferencing system on our computers.

What is most valuable?

The noise cancellation feature is great. When you have a call, the noise cancellation during it is really good. It's the best one if you're looking for that specific feature. We haven't tried Zoom, however, compared to Microsoft Teams, WebEx is a lot better.

The initial setup is really easy.

The solution has been very stable.

The scalability is quite good.

If you decide to use the paid version, you can have the scheduler and the meeting portal all on the same platform.

What needs improvement?

The main issue is the performance in relation to the operating system. The base application uses a lot of resources. They could work on the performance of the application so that it's less heavy.

There are sometimes a lot of updates, however, we find the solution to be very stable right now. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

You can scale the solution if you need to. It's not a problem.

Right now, we have ten users that are connected to the solution.

Our team is using it all the time. Everyone on the team works remotely; it's our main engagement channel.

As we grow our company, we'll likely increase usage.

As I am leveraging the free version, I haven't used the support.

I also use Microsoft Teams. I use both right now.

We used Microsoft Teams, however, we changed to WebEx as the main channel due to the noise cancellation that wasn't good enough on Teams. Also, Microsoft Teams used a lot of resources on the operating system - so much so that the computer started to go slow when we used the application.

I simply downloaded the solution from Cisco's web page.

The implementation is really easy. The difficult part is understanding the free version from the other plan that has a cost. At the first, they didn't have an online purchase of that version, so you have to contact a partner in order to buy the install. It's a bit confusing between both versions, the free and the paid version.

The solution does not require any maintenance.

I use the free version of the solution. I don't pay for licensing at this time.

We did try Zoom, however, you could only use it for 40 minutes, and that wasn't enough time for us.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I'd recommend it to others. It's a good tool.

Rahul Maheshwari - PeerSpot reviewer
    Transformation Program Manager at NTT Data India Enterprise Application Services Pri
    Powerful with convenient recording feature and useful mobile app option
    • "Seamless integration with Microsoft Outlook."
    • "No private chat option."

What is our primary use case?

We used Webex extensively, several times a day, for internal and external meetings as well as web and video conferencing. I'm a transformation program manager and we're a customer of Webex.

What is most valuable?

I really liked the seamless integration with Microsoft Outlook, so that I could schedule meetings. The Microsoft login was pretty convenient. The recording feature was very convenient and I had the mobile app as well which was an added convenience for me.

What needs improvement?

We had one problematic issue and that was with the recordings that were kept on the web. Initially they were auto archiving but then recordings were getting deleted after three months and we weren't aware of that change in their policy. I lost a lot of my recordings and I think they should have a longer retention period for the recordings.

A private chat option would be a good addition to the solution. If you're in the middle of a meeting and you want to have a private chat with someone, it can be a useful feature.

I used this solution for one year.

In most cases, the solution is stable although a couple of times we had issues with the audio conferencing feature for people who tried joining on their phones. On the whole there were no problems.

I believe scalability is good. We have 30,000 employees in our company and probably around 10,000 were using Webex. An IT team manages the solution.

I contacted Webex technical support after the recordings were deleted but they weren't able to retrieve them for me. It was very unfortunate because I had no other record of those meetings and they couldn't resolve that for me because the meetings had been deleted. That was the only time I contacted technical support.

Prior to Webex we used an audio conferencing solution called Arkadin. We only switched to web conferencing when we moved to Cisco Webex. We had also used Skype but it wasn't very effective. We would use audio Arkadin conferencing and if we needed to screen share we'd use Skype.

We are now using Zoom and it seems Zoom requires more customizations than Webex. Zoom required setting changes before allowing everyone to join meetings and the default settings were not good. Zoom does have the private chat option which Webex doesn't have and I found that very useful.

The setup was quite straightforward and convenient. We managed the deployment and setup ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good software and a powerful tool, I don't have any complaints.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

AdemolaOlamide - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Development Manager at CLC Africa
    User-friendly, great for virtual meetings and offers an easy setup
    • "In terms of stability, the solution is reliable."
    • "Everything just needs to be shrunk down without sacrificing quality so that not so much bandwidth is needed in order to hold meetings effectively."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

You can use the solution for free.

It's a great solution if you need to connect for a virtual meeting.

The product is very easy to use. It's user-friendly. The overall simplicity of the solution is great.

Its audio is pretty good.

The solution scales well.

In terms of stability, the solution is reliable.

The initial setup is very straightforward and the deployment is fast.

What needs improvement?

The video requirement is kind of high. It requires a more stable network. There should be something done to compress the video - to compress the video size, not the quality while still maintaining good quality. Everything just needs to be shrunk down without sacrificing quality so that not so much bandwidth is needed in order to hold meetings effectively.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable. the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have about 30 people that use the solution.

We do plans to increase the usage in the future. As we increase the number of staff, we will increase the number of licenses we buy.

We haven't had any issues with technical support. We are satisfied with them overall.

We use Zoom and Microsoft Teams alongside Cisco Webex.

Mostly, we use Microsoft Teams, which we actually pay a licensing fee for. We tend to use WebEx if a meeting was set up under it and in those cases, we can use it for free.

We have found the initial setup to be very simple, very straightforward. The deployment is quick and only takes about 15 minutes or so. It's an easy process. It's not difficult.

You only need one person to handle deployment or maintenance tasks.

I'm able to handle the setup myself. I did not need any outside help from any integrators or consultants.

We didn't pay for this license. We just use it to connect to specific meetings. It's just a free version that we leverage.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product I'd rate it to others.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Network Specialist at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Multifeatured virtual meeting and video communication software; runs smoothly and does not cause lag
    • "Lag-free video communication and virtual meeting software which runs smoothly."
    • "There's some difficulty in Webex, particularly when a third party needs access and that third party is not part of the domain of the company, it could be difficult."

What is our primary use case?

I use Webex for meetings. It's useful in virtual meetings. It's a video communication tool.

What is most valuable?

I find Webex to be a good solution. You can share your screen, you can grant control to other meeting participants, you can record, etc. It's okay to use because it does not cause lag, and the video runs smoothly. I'm happy using Webex.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any complaints about Webex. I'm also using Microsoft Teams and they are the same, but there's some difficulty in Webex, particularly when a third party needs access and that third party is not part of the domain of the company, it could be difficult.

I've been using Webex for three years. We're using it in the company I work for.

Webex is stable here in Thailand. I have not experienced a frozen screen or interruption when I'm having my meeting on Webex.

The scalability of Webex is okay. The biggest meeting I had was with 50 participants, but sometimes, we need to place some of the participants on mute.

There is no issue with Webex technical support, but there's a support issue in the reseller side. From my company's reseller to our customers, there are many Webex cases, but technical support is okay in terms of troubleshooting open cases.

We pay a yearly license for Webex.

I evaluated Microsoft Teams.

What other advice do I have?

In my company, we use Webex and Microsoft Teams.

There are between 5,000 to 10,000 users of Webex in the company. I'm one of the end users of this solution. 10 people make up the technical team that handles the deployment and maintenance of Webex in my company.

On a scale of zero to ten, with ten being the highest, and zero being the worst, I'm giving this solution a score of nine, and I'm recommending it to others who want to start using it, because Webex is okay in my experience.

I'd say that in zero to ten, I'm recommend in the eight or nine. I think it's okay in my experience, yes.

I'm rating Webex a nine out of ten.

Other
    Download our free Webex Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022