Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management is #5 ranked solution in top Project Portfolio Management tools and #8 ranked solution in top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools. PeerSpot users give ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management vs Microsoft Azure DevOps. ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Buyer's Guide

Download the ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management?

ServiceNow provides us an integratd platform that manages both IT Operations as well as the Delivery lifecycle. ... It also, creates the necessary insights to make better business decisions from.

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management was previously known as IT Business Management, ServiceNow IT Business Management Suite, ServiceNow ITBM Suite, ServiceNow ITBM.

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Customers
Proximus, UNT SYSTEM, SAP SuccessFactors
ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Video

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management pricing:
  • "The cost of the solution should not be more than $50,000 annually."
  • "We have a team of about 6,500 employees across the globe. So, the amount of money I'm going to save by putting the money on the table for the implementation and licenses is very high."
  • "They sell some things in bundles, and it could be handier that some of those things could be sold in another way, like purity models and other packages. Another thing that I'm struggling with is the pricing of ServiceNow's FYE experience, which includes the tools that are positioned for supporting HR."
  • "It is a little expensive. We are in Brazil, and for us, it is a little expensive."
  • ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Reviews

MohammedHashim - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Architect at Brillio
    Great innovation and helpful for portfolio management but needs more finance management capabilities
    • "The resource manager is useful."
    • "A major improvement we would like to see is definitely around agile management."

What is our primary use case?

Predominantly, we used to have something like Clarity in the past to maintain our project portfolio management, our demand management, and agility management. However, we were not too happy with the analytics and the dashboards in the past with the Clarity product, their PPM product. That is when we migrated to ServiceNow. The main use case predominantly concerns demand management, forecasting, and portfolio management. The whole ITBM right now is also known as Strategic Portfolio Management. It's the whole portfolio across the practice as an entire thing managed through that. It's our whole go-to platform for managing merger planning. It is an enterprise agile planning tool.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for us is project portfolio management. That helps us manage and track the entire life cycle of a project or a program at an enterprise scale and across business portfolios. That has been the key differentiator which we use from the product.

To look at the whole demand management perspective, now we are spread across the globe. We might have different demands coming in from the India region, from UK, APAC, US, et cetera. With this, we can figure out how to manage and forecast the whole business demand. That has been another major use case for us from a demand management perspective.

The resource manager is useful. If we know the demand, we know the business, how do we tie that up with resource ramp-up, ramp-down? It is not just about a few FTEs. This also includes expanding to an ODC, looking at what we can track, and seeing our resource availability and allocation according to skills, geographies, and levels. The whole resource management has been very helpful in visualizing resources.

There's lots of innovation within the product itself.

What needs improvement?

A major improvement we would like to see is definitely around agile management. They have improved over the last many years, in all fairness, yet there are many things they can do from an agile and scrum management perspective.

What is challenging for us is managing the finance. We still depend upon our classic Oracle NetSuite for many of these financial planning and organizing. While many features exist in ServiceNow, it is not far along with what we have in the Oracle world. Predominantly, we have to manually write the scripts and all the custom rules for much of the whole financial annual planning and monthly planning.

It's not out-of-the-box. There's a lot of customization, so I'll have to buy an expensive product like ServiceNow and then have a tech deck for it. I'll have to keep a big developer team on staff to build these things out.

One of the things they should definitely change is the number of out-of-the-box options. The native feature that comes with this financial planning is something that needs to change. For example, if I have to see some of these permutations and combinations, like how I see them on a spreadsheet, I should be able to import them. Everybody doesn't log into the portal. I need to figure out: how can I do it manually, upload it, and then have the XLSM take these macros and run? That is the one automation I would definitely like to see.

The finance teams, they're well-versed in using Excel. I cannot go and insist to them that they should start using my folders. I would love to see some compatibility where we could have something like a spreadsheet in Excel and then put it onto ServiceNow and have it reflected.

I've been dealing with the solution for about five years now.

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product is stable. Once we have all the initial glitches and migration issues resolved, it's fairly stable. The product challenges we face are not from a whole platform perspective. It's only a customization perspective. Therefore, if I have customized more than a particular set of requirements, it takes a bit of time. If it's out of the box, I don't have to customize anything, and I'm ready to go. However, whilst we're customizing, the platform wouldn't be that stable.

ServiceNow, every six months, launches a new release, a major release. What happens is when the new release comes, for me to upgrade and transition to the new one takes a long time due to my heavy customization.

From an availability perspective, is stable. However, from a service availability, that upgrade cycle is usually much longer whenever we have to upgrade.

The scalability is straightforward. You can scale up and down. That should not be a problem.

We do a true-up every month. We know how many licenses we are using. We are in total control of the ramp-up and ramp-down. We are good with that.

We have between 50 to 100 people on the solution.

I would love it if folks used it daily; however, they login in once a month for the monthly and fortnightly reports. The number of diligent users would be about 20 users. They use it for finance, procurement, and all these things.

We also use Jir, which does an interesting job as well.

The business angle is well defined in ServiceNow products. Azure DevOps or other things are moving from a technical to a semi-technical area, where I cannot bring my business or financial teams to log in and get that focus. The biggest differentiator compared to other options is that it's predominantly from a persona approach. I can actually personify my platform for technical teams, semi-technical teams, and business teams. That has been the biggest value differentiator compared to other tools like Atlassian, maybe Clarity, or even Azure DevOps.

On the flip side, when I go to my technical teams, they would love to, obviously, log in only to an Azure DevOps or Jira option.

The initial setup was fairly complex.

We thought we could have everything ready in six to eight weeks' time. However, it literally took us almost six months.

In all fairness, there are some things we also realized afterward. We are premium partners. We realized that, while we say out-of-the-box, it is not actually out-of-the-box. If you are staffing an organization from scratch, it is okay. However, we were already using Clarity and, obviously, spreadsheets. One of the issues which we face was a mindset from people who suddenly had to start using it when they already had methods.

Discounting that fact itself, many of the customizations and all those modules, configurations, parallel runs, and then going live and cutting over took us more than we thought.

The configuration of the product takes time. What happens is, while ServiceNow claims everything is out-of-the-box and everything can be easily achieved, many times, for some customizations, we had to raise a ticket with the actual ISVs, or the vendors and then add that. And we have an in-house ServiceNow team. We are not beginners.

We know ServiceNow pretty well. In spite of that, if you have to refer to ServiceNow, it means it's still not that user-friendly compared to others. They're in that space, they're evolving. However, it's more from the configuration perspective where you run into issues. I'd rate the initial setup at a or 2.5 to three out of five. It's not easy. There's a moderate amount of difficulty.

The ROI is quite high as I can have my team members all on one portal.

With this product, I have a unified integrated view across geography, across teams, and that helps. That itself allows them to collaborate together. Apart from that, from an ROI perspective, some of our planning and forecasting have been much more streamlined. If you look at ROI from that perspective, it's high.

I'd rate the ROI at a four out of five. It's quite good.

Since we are a managed service provider, we buy it annually.

While we might charge back to the business and charge back to our end. We also have some business people, consumers, and customers. For them, we do it monthly. From our direct contracting perspective with ServiceNow, it's an annual fee.

The cost of the solution should not be more than $50,000 annually.

We use the high-end version; we don't use a standard version. We have many other integration hubs and other things, so it's a bundled product.

From a dollar-to-dollar comparison, they're expensive. They're actually more expensive than, probably, Clarity. They're actually more expensive than whatever you have from a portfolio management option from Atlassian. However, if I look at the whole ROI, it is reasonable. That said, of course, we would love it if the price was reduced.

I'd rate the solution four out of five in terms of value for money.

What other advice do I have?

In ServiceNow, since we are an MSP and a premium partner with ServiceNow, we pretty much cater almost to the entire suite, or at least the entire ITX. That's IT Service Management, IT Operations Management, IT Asset Management, IT Business Management, and then more or less the governance risk and compliance aspects.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Bharat Nutakki - PeerSpot reviewer
    Practice Manager at YASH Technologies
    Integrates easily with other systems, helps in utilizing resources efficiently, and provides value for money
    • "Everything is valuable. It is tough to choose a particular feature, but project portfolio management along with agile 2.0 are two key product features that I would suggest for services companies like us."
    • "We track salaries or paychecks of the resources. They change from time to time, such as every six months or every year. If they can come up with a default or out-of-the-box feature to manage those multiple payable costs so that we can automatically calculate the project costs rolled up. That would be the coolest feature that we can expect from ServiceNow. We would like to have an automatic feature to manage the payable costs. We should be able to manage or maintain multiple pay costs so that while calculating the project roll-up costs for individual projects, the respective pay costs in a particular period are picked up automatically from the backend. Currently, we have to customize that. It is doable. We have done it but through customization."

What is our primary use case?

We are a services company, and we have implemented ServiceNow ITBM to track our 6,500 or so resources for productivity, project management for our existing customers, and streamlining the demand activities and lead-to-cash activities. It is being used for lead management to demand management, demand management to project management, project management to resource management, and resource management to endpoint management.

What is most valuable?

Everything is valuable. It is tough to choose a particular feature, but project portfolio management along with agile 2.0 are two key product features that I would suggest for services companies like us.

What needs improvement?

We track salaries or paychecks of the resources. They change from time to time, such as every six months or every year. If they can come up with a default or out-of-the-box feature to manage those multiple payable costs so that we can automatically calculate the project costs rolled up. That would be the coolest feature that we can expect from ServiceNow. We would like to have an automatic feature to manage the payable costs. We should be able to manage or maintain multiple pay costs so that while calculating the project roll-up costs for individual projects, the respective pay costs in a particular period are picked up automatically from the backend. Currently, we have to customize that. It is doable. We have done it but through customization. If it can be part of the out-of-the-box functionality, it would be great. It will save a lot of time for partners like us. It will also be beneficial for customers.

I have been using this solution for about six months.

It is stable. We are using ServiceNow, and we are also providing more services to our customers in the ServiceNow spectrum. We don't see any issues. Being a cloud solution, availability is not a problem.

It is scalable. There are no issues. We currently have 6,500 users. It is being used by different departments. Delivery teams are using it, which include the developers, testers, project managers, program managers, project leads, delivery managers, and resource managers managing the resources and competencies. The management team, finance team, and part of accounting teams are also utilizing the system.

It is used on a weekly or daily basis. The project accounting team might be using the system on a monthly or biweekly basis depending on the billing frequency of a customer. Developers use it day in and day out for logging their time cards for the tasks allocated to them for a particular project. Project managers use it on a daily or weekly basis to approve timesheets. Similarly, delivery managers use it monthly or biweekly. For competency managers, it could be a daily activity to assess the capacity, do the capacity planning and allocations, and plan new recruitments.

I've used Jira about five or six years ago, but Jira didn't have similar capabilities. In ServiceNow, you can create a demand, and you can also start at the innovation or idea level. You can collect ideas from different stakeholders and systems and convert those ideas to demands. Based on the different budgets allocated to different portfolios, you can get those demands approved and convert them to projects. After that, you can manage those projects by using the agile, waterfall, or a hybrid methodology. You can also use the SAFe methodology to run your product.

Another differentiator is resource planning. You can also plan for your resources at the demand level. You can send resource planning requisitions to your competency managers so that they can be ready with resources for a feature or an upcoming project, or you can create resource plans for direct projects to get soft blocking and hard blocking. It has reports, dashboards, etc. You can easily integrate it with other systems.

It's not complex, but it's all about adaptability. The organization-level change management takes a little bit of time when we try to integrate ServiceNow ITBM with other systems, such as SuccessFactors. We are using SuccessFactors internally to take care of our core HR functionality. I would rate its setup a four out of five in terms of ease.

We are premium partners for ServiceNow.

We get an ROI with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

It provides value for money. Without the tool, it is tough to track more than 6,500 resources. In the future, when the team size grows exponentially, it would become literally impossible for any of the competencies, practices, or delivery teams to manage their resources' productivity. It would be hard to know:

• How much I'm getting out of a resource?
    • How much money I'm spending on a resource?
    • How much revenue I'm getting from a particular resource, division, team, or competency?

All these are possible to know by using ServiceNow. It helps us in utilizing the resources to the perfect level to generate more revenue at the same cost.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management
    September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Application Architect
    Reseller
    Integrates well with our ITSM solution and capable of expansion but the setup is complex
    • "As a product, the primary reason we like it is it gets integrated with our ITSM solution so that we don't have to go for an external product for project management like Jira."
    • "The solution needs a few things in terms of resource management."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the product for project resource and finance management.

What is most valuable?

As a product, the primary reason we like it is it gets integrated with our ITSM solution so that we don't have to go for an external product for project management like Jira. It seamlessly integrates with our ITSM. It pretty much has all the features you want to manage. You don't need separate products for your project, your resource, or your finance. It's an integrated solution where the same product will actually get us for all three.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a few things in terms of resource management. It still lags behind some of the company leaders like Workday. It's not yet there yet. The solution, currently, whatever it is, it's very concrete. Customizing it is a bit of a tedious task. That's the one thing I pretty much feel is a downside.

The initial setup is complex.

I've been using the solution for two or three years.

It is getting stable, relatively compared to how it was one or two years back. Though it was not up to the mark, it's quite stable now.

Scalability-wise, it's good.

There are around 400 users who are using this.

Technical support is useful. There are a lot of things we incur during implementation, post-implementation, et cetera. There is some technical support that is required.

We are using pretty much each and every product of ServiceNow.

The initial setup is quite complex. It's not easy. I would say its implementation is on the complex side, since, unlike other modules, these are pretty much concept-oriented, and having a successful implementation is a pretty tedious task. It took four to five months to deploy the product.

The deployment was handled by our team in-house. We did not need any help from any integrators or consultants.

Pricing-wise, I can't comment individually on this, as it depends on the region. It depends on the overall number of licenses. It also depends on other factors like what are the other solutions, are the products we are taking from ServiceNow. Generally, it's neither cheap nor very costly. For a customer who has already ServiceNow ITSM and some other products in place, I would say it's moderate.

We have enough products. We have one for project management, a separate one for time management. We had separate things. However, once we were into ServiceNow for ITSM, ITBM was offering all these solutions on the same platform. We didn't look into other options. We decided on ServiceNow to stay within the same umbrella solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner and reseller.

Users should go with this product only if they are already planning to use ServiceNow for other IT like asset management or service management. If they are planning to use ServiceNow, then it makes sense to go with it. Otherwise, it is not necessary to go for ITBM.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Other
    Lead IT Transformation Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Gives you end-to-end information about your whole company all in one place
    • "ServiceNow brings to the market different layers with different pricing, so you can customize. And all the layers are really enterprise-ready."
    • "ServiceNow needs to invest more in integration. That's the only thing. It could always extend its portfolio a little bit."

What is our primary use case?

I'm mostly involved with service management projects.

What is most valuable?

What I like about ServiceNow is how it operates as a complete platform. When I talk about a platform, what I mean is that you have end-to-end information about your whole company all in one place with ServiceNow. This also means that you need to have the layers in place, like the layers for service management, portfolio management, risk management, security, discovery service mapping as well as the iPhone layer and the software asset management layer. If you have all those assets in place, it's quite easy. Then you can do a lot of stuff inside the platform itself. The nice thing about ServiceNow is that it's also an older platform, where you can include and separate other information for more products. Plus the product brings something new to the market. ServiceNow brings to the market different layers with different pricing, so you can customize. And all the layers are really enterprise-ready.

What needs improvement?

ServiceNow needs to invest more in integration. That's the only thing. It could always extend its portfolio a little bit. It doesn't have to extend too far. In some other areas, like enterprise architecture, they already have the tools for it.

I've been using ServiceNow for a few years.

ServiceNow is a very stable and scalable platform.

I have had no issues with ServiceNow's technical support so far.

I find found the setup to be quite easy.

They sell some things in bundles, and it could be handier that some of those things could be sold in another way, like purity models and other packages. Another thing that I'm struggling with is the pricing of ServiceNow's FYE experience, which includes the tools that are positioned for supporting HR.

What other advice do I have?

I would never give service now a 10 because everything could always be better, but I would rate it nine or nine-and-a-half out of 10.

If you are planning to implement ServiceNow, I would consider it from the aspect of business management, especially portfolio management. Don't only look at companies that are mostly using portfolio management for their project portfolio. Portfolio management comprises three main portfolios: investment portfolio, product portfolio, and project portfolio. These are really linked to each other. And the nice thing about business management with ServiceNow is that you can manage all three of these portfolios like they need to be managed.

Daniel Guimaraes - PeerSpot reviewer
    PMO Area Manager at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent tool to manage projects and portfolios, under agile, hybrid or waterfall approaches
    • "We like the status report feature. It is something really valuable."
    • "When we import a really big project with a lot of tasks on it, we face some issues with dependencies. The links between tasks are not working very well. There is definitely room for improvement there. Microsoft Project, in my opinion, is the best option for such a use case."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for portfolio, program and project management.

It was implemented throughout the company and the governance processes of strategic projects are carried out in the system. Different levels of professionals use the system, both in agile, hybrid and waterfall approaches.

How has it helped my organization?

It acts as a single point of truth for our project management. We are able to gather the information in it for reporting. The parameters of project forms act like minimum requirements for the project, enhancing project management skillset.

What is most valuable?

We like the ease of making the dashboards, gathering information of a set of projects, programs and portfolios. Also, the status report feature, embedded with project schedule and financials, makes it an excellent tool for knowledge management during the project. The whole history of the project is there.

The possibility to customize some of the approval flows between a demand, an idea, and a project is another thing that is valuable. We are able to customize it in-house.

What needs improvement?

Import of really big project (hundreds of tasks) done in MSProject, we face some problems with dependencies and subtasks.

Also, currently the 'percent complete' field is purely duration-based, therefore the presence of parallel workstreams limits the usefulness of that metric, since the amount of work being performed every day could be widely varying. An useful metric to be developed would be a 'percent work complete', such as the one available by default in Microsoft Project.

I have been using this solution for one year, since January/21.

We are in Brazil, and for us, it could be a little expensive the licensing for some cases.

Microsoft Project, Planview, Jira Software and some others in the local market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Solution Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Has good documentation and is stable and scalable
    • "The stability is excellent. ServiceNow is one of the leading platforms when it comes to stability."
    • "The price keeps going up, and to remain competitive, it needs to have a competitive edge. I would like to see more of the latest innovations, in terms of AI, ML, and all of the latest cutting-edge technologies, included in the platform."

What needs improvement?

The price keeps going up, and to remain competitive, it needs to have a competitive edge. I would like to see more of the latest innovations, in terms of AI, ML, and all of the latest cutting-edge technologies, included in the platform.

The stability is excellent. ServiceNow is one of the leading platforms when it comes to stability.

The scalability is very good. ServiceNow is one of the leading platforms when it comes to scalability. Thousands of projects can be managed.

Technical support from ServiceNow is great. There is a good amount of documentation available. ServiceNow also has certain training programs and cohort programs through which they educate people regarding their platform.

We've previously used Anaplan, MS Project, and Clarity. We switched because of issues with integration in terms of the wider ITSM platform and other tool sets.

The complexity of the initial setup can vary depending on the amount of data that needs to be migrated.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to implement ServiceNow ITBM, I would recommend an organic approach rather than going full throttle and moving all your projects at once, for example, from Microsoft Project or Clarity, onto ITBM.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate ServiceNow ITBM at eight because it is not as intuitive as Microsoft Project.

Kees Beets - PeerSpot reviewer
    WW Supply Chain - Strategy and Development - Senior Manager at HP
    Good ticketing and incident tracking, and easy to install

What is our primary use case?

We use ServiceNow IT Business Management for production support.

What is most valuable?

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

It could be more user-friendly.

I have been working with ServiceNow IT Business Management for two years.

We don't have any complaints regarding the stability of ServiceNow IT Business Management.

ServiceNow IT Business Management is a scalable solution.

We have approximately 1,000 users in our company.

At this time, we don't have plans to increase the usage.

I, personally, have not had any interaction with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It took three and six months to complete the deployment.

I am not aware of how much we are paying for the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using it as a business management solution, so I would recommend it for ticketing and incident tracking. However, we are not utilizing the entire portfolio.

I would rate ServiceNow IT Business Management an eight out of ten.

Marivaldo Novais - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultor de Governança de TI at GPA
    Good technical support, simple to use, and has good documentation
    • "It's a very complete solution."
    • "The price is too high."

What is most valuable?

The solution has opened many doors for me.

Technical support is good.

It's a very complete solution. Aside from some complex analytics, the rest of the product is very simple and easy to use.

There is some good documentation that you can go over.

What needs improvement?

The price is too high. It's okay for a big company, however, for a medium-sized organization, it may be too much. They should lower the price so smaller companies can also leverage it.

The performance analytics are too difficult and complex for me to figure out very well.

I'd like to read more about the new features before commenting on them.

I've been using the solution for five years.

Technical support is very good. However, I always put someone on with better English when I will need to communicate with them.

The solution is very expensive and best for larger organizations, mostly due to the fact that it would be too costly to use for medium-sized companies.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an implementer of ServiceNow.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free ServiceNow Strategic Portfolio Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022