Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft Dynamics AX OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Dynamics AX is #6 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software and #8 ranked solution in top ERP tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Dynamics AX an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Microsoft Dynamics AX is most commonly compared to SAP ERP: Microsoft Dynamics AX vs SAP ERP. Microsoft Dynamics AX is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Microsoft Dynamics AX Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Dynamics AX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft Dynamics AX?
Microsoft Dynamics AX is an enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution that is simple to learn and use so you can deliver value faster, take advantage of business opportunities, and drive user involvement and innovation across the organization.

Microsoft Dynamics AX was previously known as Dynamics AX, Axapta, MS Dynamics AX.

Microsoft Dynamics AX Customers
ConQuaestor, D & H Distributing, Sunny Queen, Mesa Associates, Britax Childcare, Ibema, Arafa, Sabo S.p.A.
Microsoft Dynamics AX Video

Archived Microsoft Dynamics AX Reviews (more than two years old)

Director, Managed Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
This is an aging product which had utility when it was introduced but it is going out of service
  • "It was an okay solution when we delivered hardware and we had to do maintenance."
  • "It is being decommissioned."

What is our primary use case?

We are using an older version of Dynamics AX and we are using their servers.

We are a managed services company, meaning that we provide telecommunication services like VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) to our customers. We use Dynamics to log tickets, to resolve incidents, and to record changes in the platforms that we deliver to our customers.

What is most valuable?

I have not really found very much that is valuable, at least in the version of the product that we are using. I do not think it is really suitable for the work that we do anymore. The reason for that is that we have changed our business model over the past few years. It was okay when we delivered hardware and we had to do maintenance on the hardware. But now that we have a real service organization where we have to comply with SLAs (Service Level Agreements) with our customers, it does not fit the structure.

To manage the service levels, we have to meet the agreements. For example, we have to resolve priority one incidents within four hours and we have to resolve priority two incidents within eight hours. I find that the Microsoft Dynamics product is not suitable for that. We had to make a lot of adjustments and tweaks in the software just to meet our goals. The reporting for our customers was a problem because there are no portal service level reports. We had to develop all of those solutions ourselves.

What needs improvement?

The product is no longer going to be supported by Microsoft next year. For that reason, I do not think that they will improve anything. Putting that fact aside, I think that the whole IP module can be improved. They need to improve logging, tracking, and tracing service tickets, as well as reporting towards the customer. They need to create a customer portal where the customers can view and create their own tickets. That would be a lot of work to do for a product that Microsoft will no longer be supporting.

I would suggest that Microsoft use a real top-class ITSM (IT Service Management) with the replacement product (Business Central) and then integrate that with Microsoft Dynamics rather than developing it themselves. Integrating a dedicated product will be better.

I am with my current company since January, but I know that the company has been using Dynamics for about ten years now.

Microsoft Dynamics AX
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Dynamics AX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Considering the fact that Dynamics AX is going out of support and they are not continuing, the product is not being properly updated and that leads to stability issues. The new version of the Microsoft solution is called Business Central. I do not know exactly what functionalities it has or what has changed. In other words, it might be the case that Microsoft has already improved the solution in the new version of the product.

Scalability has been a problem for us. That has somewhat to do with the fact that we use the 2009 version of Dynamics. It runs on Windows Servers, and we had to upgrade those servers. So that led to having some compatibility problems and that affected scalability and stability. But the lack of scalability is also an issue because we use it on-premises. In a private cloud or a SaaS service, it might be better. That is why we want to move towards a SaaS service.

The product is being decommissioned so technical support is all but non-existent.

We have different components to use with the Dynamics solution and that can affect the price, but the price for the product is relatively high any way you look at it. You pay per seat for the number of users. Then we have, of course, the hosting costs for the server it runs on. Because we host it ourselves in a private cloud we do the maintenance on the OS level. I think that moving to a SaaS will decrease the cost a little bit.

We are currently looking at TOPdesk and ServiceNow and doing some research into these products. I know that one of our competitors is changing from TOPdesk to ServiceNow. They must have a reason, so that warrants a comparison on our part as well.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate Microsoft Dynamics as only a five-out-of-ten in general. It does not meet our needs and will essentially be decommissioned.

Private Cloud
it_user826284 - PeerSpot reviewer
MIS Director at a real estate/law firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
All its features are valuable

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented it for retail companies (e.g., fashion, toys, etc.). We have also implemented the same solution for FMCG and supermarket business models.

What is most valuable?

All its features are valuable.

What needs improvement?

It needs better financials and reporting from the system, not through Excel.

Three to five years.
Gene Hammons, MBADirector at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Top 5LeaderboardMSP

We're seeing a lot of AX clients bring on Host Analytics, Adaptive Insights or more recently, Anaplan for advanced reporting, closing and reconciliation, FP&A and the like. We're also seeing traction from Workiva for SEC reporting - in the past I was used to seeing clients go with BI tools to do the advanced reporting but it seems to have shifted of late.

Microsoft Dynamics AX
September 2022
632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
MSP
It's a great toolkit to drive efficiencies throughout your entire organization

Microsoft Dynamics AX is very strong in the manufacturing sector, as well as other verticals. It scales well and we've found several clients who were looking at Oracle, SAP, JD Edwards and so on who were well served at a very competitive price point (usually much less). One client was looking at a $5M SAP proposal and we got AX in just under $2M, and they were very happy with it as they have several sister companies that face $500K SAP upgrades/maintenance seemingly annually.

AX is nearly a Tier One product, so implementations are long, but there's a lot of flexibility. Also, the ability to handle different issues found in larger organizations.

There are several other MS Dynamics products for smaller companies. Our AX users were in the $200M to $400M annual revenue range. AX partners and resellers are a critical step. We found using a partner who specializes in their vertical is critical. We've also done a couple of AX rescues of clients that went with super-large practices where the consulting talent varies in skill. We tend to stick with boutique firms whose consultants we know and trust.

The cons: It's not really a con, but AX does take some time and maintenance. What you would expect with any large ERP product, it's not just a 'slam it in and you are done' project, but the type of technology you'd select if you were planning on continuous improvements and tying varying technologies together.

We had a combo contract manufacturing pharma outfit and it had some really good success in phase two of importing daily production reports from contract manufacturers that provided better visibility to finished goods, WIP, and raw materials inventory onsite at the contract manufacturers.

For a regional medical practice, we were able to link SQL tables from the practice management software to track data, such as 'which clinics were the docs practicing at on a certain day' without them having to do any actual data entry beyond what they were already documenting in patient records. This was nice.

If you're planning a major project upgrade and can take the time to put together a cost/revenue model showing AX breakeven, we generally project a break-even at less than 18 months. It's a great toolkit to drive efficiencies throughout the entire organization. If you're just looking to replace an outgrown ERP, it's probably a little big or you need a more advanced IT approach to really appreciate what you can do with AX.

There are also some good user groups and a growing development community. We understand the new Dynamics 365 Enterprise is using the AX code base and look forward to seeing that version mature in the months/years to come.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a software selection and implementation firm - not affiliated with any software or ERP platform but have had several clients successfully implement AX in pharma manufacturing, healthcare regional practice, food & bev manufacturing and others.
it_user674340 - PeerSpot reviewer
AVP-Head,MIS Department at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The most valuable feature is the manufacturing module.
  • "The most valuable feature for us is the manufacturing module. It addresses our product costing for tuna canning."
  • "The database requires a huge CPU and memory resources."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It keeps product costing close to the actual cost of production. It also gives us better handling of the approval process (workflow system).

What needs improvement?

The database requires a huge CPU and memory resources.

We have been using the solution since 2014.

We encountered an issue with stability. There was a problem on the workflow, which required escalation to Microsoft for resolution.

We encountered an issue with scalability. Hardware requirements are quite large compared with other ERP solutions.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

The previous ERP solution did not have a good local technical support facility. Escalation to the product proprietor was even worse.

Like any other ERP system, the initial setup is straightforward:

• Business requirement analysis
  • Business/office procedures
  • Gathering of forms and reports
  • System mapping
  • Customization
  • Testing
  • Go-live

• Go for cloud implementation, if cost is critical.
  • Know the solution provider's fiscal period, as you can get a better discount if the contract signing is near the end of the fiscal period.
  • Identify your end-user role, as the license is based on user role/access.

We evaluated SAP and Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

Look for a solution that has multiple partners in your area (i.e., country). The system integrator should present a similar successful project implementation for reference.

Negotiate for implementation contingency (man-days). All business processes and procedures should be documented to ensure no surprises during and after implementation.

Handling change management is critical to the success of the project.

MS Dynamics AX Consultant at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Master planning is the most valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

Master planning is the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

Moving our production process from forecasting only to a master plan, including demand forecast and supply forecast wish, is great progress.

What needs improvement?

• Production planning

I have been using it for one year and it works perfectly.

In the beginning of our project phases, we faced a lot of issues related to collecting the master data but after that, every thing goes smoothly.

We have not encountered any stability issues related to the database; just some connection issues due to VPN connection stability.

We have not encountered any scalability issues yet.

Customer service needed more improvement.

For all of the issues we faced, we found solutions in TechNet and handouts.

We previously used MS Dynamics GP. Production and master planning is better in Dynamics AX.

it_user607827 - PeerSpot reviewer
Dynamics AX / CRM Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Generates financial reports that can be used with Excel. I would like to see improvements in manufacturing.

What is most valuable?

The finance and finance reporting features are good. The ability to use it with Excel means you can get the reports you need.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in manufacturing. We had a meeting with the person in charge of manufacturing last year in which I took six pages of notes regarding MRP/materials requirements planning. The implication was that the system can handle what we needed it do, but the person is charge of manufacturing is quite busy. I did not hear back after sending the notes, and I never helped implement it.

I do not think we have implemented it, and I think we still do it outside the system.
Some of the companies owned by the same parent company cannot implement this solution due to constraints on manufacturing.

It was a busy day when I toured the facility, and I had little time to discuss this solution. I just gathered that they could not make it fit for them.

We have used this solution for a year.

We encountered stability issues.

The installation was complex. There are many settings to configure.

We previously used SAP.

What other advice do I have?

First evaluate if to see if it meets your manufacturing needs. In many settings, it does not.

Gene Hammons, MBADirector at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Top 5LeaderboardMSP

I had some clients go through the same issue - the AX manufacturing is generally good and we have some pharma mfgs doing process manufacturing and others doing discreet mfg - but AX is a LOT of work to configure and it takes a lot of consulting dollars.
So the issue is simply getting to the mfg implementation - I had one client that took 2 years before they brought everything up.
People are attracted to AX because it's so much less expensive than SAP or Oracle, but it's still a Tier One system - or very close to it.
So the best practice is to do the ROI study and come up with how it's going to make mfg less labor intensive - or whatever - and when the entire company sees the return, they will finally get behind the project and move forward.

it_user323985 - PeerSpot reviewer
Microsoft Dynamics Consultant/Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
With it, our inventory control is improved, but it needs cloud deployment and better documentation.

What is most valuable?

• Finance
  • Inventory
  • Manufacturing

How has it helped my organization?

• Improved inventory control
  • GL consolidation
  • Intercompany accounting

What needs improvement?

• Cloud deployment
  • Documentation

I've used it for seven years.

There were some issues.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

It needs improvement.

It needs improvement.

I was using Dynamics NAV, and we switched to AX due to limitations in Dynamics NAV.

It's complex, in terms of data migration, but the latest version has improved a lot on this front.

We did it in-house with involvement from a vendor team.

The pricing model does not really fit all customers that I offer consulting too.

• SAP
  • EPICOR
  • Dynamics NAV
  • Infor

What other advice do I have?

The product required extensive functional expertise for a successful implementation on all the areas, failed implementations of Dynamics AX has always lacked functional exposure

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a consulting and implementation partner.
Business Analyst at StackEdge Consulting
It provides us timely access to management information, but it lacks reliable IT hardware and infrastructure both before and during implementation.

Valuable Features:

• ERP's major objective is to integrate all departments and functions across the organization and branches onto a single computer system that can serve all the department's particular needs.
  • Timely access to management Information.
  • Business Process Automation.

Room for Improvement:

• The non-delivery or non-availability of reliable IT hardware and infrastructure both before and during implementation.
  • Pricing
  • Proper training from skilled personnel

ROI:

Annual ROI = 7%

Application Manager at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Improving although still requires some attention

What is most valuable?

Flexibilty to allow change however this is its weakness as well. If you over develop core functionality it willing wrong.

How has it helped my organization?

Viewability of management data across all group companies. Introduction of consistent processes.

What needs improvement?

where different programmers have been let loose the product has a number of view inconsistencies and there are still issues that were in 4. Many bells and whistles have been added and some are not quite complete. Overall it is improving and becoming a more mature product.

1 year on 2012. 8 years with 4

Always down to number of development changes made to the core functionality. Data is also difficult to transform on day one.

As above, although testing minimises this risk

so far, so good. Better scalability than 4.

Depends on the Partner as Microsoft tend to leave support to their Partners. This is the strategy they have which does mean that they may not get direct user feedback.

As above, can be a little hit and miss

The setup requires advance thought as it is difficult to amend once transactions are in the system.

I have worked with a number of vendors and would say if you have the expertise in-house then use that.

Difficult to measure but definitely improved working practises and management information

SAP

What other advice do I have?

With care it is a good product but be aware that the business should change its processes rather than change the system wherever possible else you will have issues following deployment.

it_user215454 - PeerSpot reviewer
VP Strategy & Solutions with 51-200 employees
​Some resource capacity calculations could be expanded on, but it has reduced the time to payroll for expenses.

What is most valuable?

• Finance
  • Projects
  • Sales & Marketing
  • Time & Expense
  • HR
  • Workflow

How has it helped my organization?

• Automated time-sheets
  • Expenses with integrated mobile apps has reduced our time to payroll from three days to half day

What needs improvement?

Some resource capacity calculations could be expanded on.

I've used it for two years.

We didn't have any issues, and it was a very smooth transition for the end users.

We did an optimization post go-live for database indexes but otherwise fine.

This is one of the strengths of Dynamics AX – scale up and out and it also deploys in the cloud.

It's excellent.

It's excellent.

We just used very manual processes.

Setup was easy and straightforward. We used Excel templates to load data and they had pre-configured versions of the application.

It was an in-house implementation.

It took us 12 months to get an ROI.

The original setup was approx. US$750k. The day-to-day costs are minimal.

We also looked at options from both Oracle and SAP.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand your reporting requirements, and outcomes, prior to start of the project.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Microsoft Gold Partner
Download our free Microsoft Dynamics AX Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022