Microsoft Dynamics AX OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Dynamics AX is the #6 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software and #8 ranked solution in top ERP tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Dynamics AX an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Microsoft Dynamics AX is most commonly compared to SAP ERP: Microsoft Dynamics AX vs SAP ERP. Microsoft Dynamics AX is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Microsoft Dynamics AX Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Dynamics AX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Microsoft Dynamics AX?
Microsoft Dynamics AX is an enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution that is simple to learn and use so you can deliver value faster, take advantage of business opportunities, and drive user involvement and innovation across the organization.

Microsoft Dynamics AX was previously known as Dynamics AX, Axapta, MS Dynamics AX.

Microsoft Dynamics AX Customers
ConQuaestor, D & H Distributing, Sunny Queen, Mesa Associates, Britax Childcare, Ibema, Arafa, Sabo S.p.A.
Microsoft Dynamics AX Video

Microsoft Dynamics AX Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Dynamics AX pricing:
  • "It's too expensive for customers to take this on themselves. As partners, we will buy this on behalf of the customers and then charge this value for each project."
  • "The initial investment cost goes up due to the hidden cost."
  • "I purchased the license once, and there is a license with a partner that I pay for annually."
  • "I don't know how much this solution costs off the top of my head, but I know that the cloud and SaaS solutions are cheaper."
  • "It is $180 to $200 per user per month with a minimum of 20 users, which makes selling the product a bit difficult."
  • Microsoft Dynamics AX Reviews

Okay Akdeniz - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Application Group Manager at OBASE
    Provides a lot of functionality
    • "Dynamics AX provides a lot of functionality."
    • "The product is standardised across industries so it is not a good fit for all types of sectors."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Dynamics AX product is an ERP solution. We provide this solution to three categories. One of them is the supply chain, one finance, and the other, retail commerce. We are implementing the supply chain through a simple warehouse model, which is finance-based. This includes the general ledger and other accounting functions. We are providing solutions for cash registers and E-commerce alongside other back-office solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

We currently work with retail companies in Turkey. We have implemented the biggest retail company which are apparel companies and grocery companies. These companies sell 40 products, worldwide. There's a lot of change currently happening in the business. For example, there are lots of new features, new functionalities, and lots of new requests from the business side. Existing local solutions cannot handle this, or change it. All local companies and enterprise industries need new functionality to adapt to the market. Hence, there is a good business case to use Microsoft Dynamics AX. You can expand it with open-source code with the partners. This gives the customers options to extend and manage their business.

What is most valuable?

Customers want all the business flow to be contained within the application. If they're using a lot of Excel and other documents, in addition to working with several other third-party applications, the problem is that these applications cannot integrate. That's a huge problem for business. It's possible to provide a solution to this by using an interconnected ERP solution with Dynamics. It is possible to interconnect to other products such as SAP, Oracle, and other global ERP types. Microsoft Dynamics AX makes this possible. Dynamics AX provides a lot of functionality. You have all your information to hand in one application. The application provides these values into the accounting application, and the accounting application executes the rest of the workflow. It's completely integrated. This is a huge and flexible design for customers.

What needs improvement?

Flexibility with how it is used. For example, if you have a specific way of working, Dynamics AX may or may not accommodate that. Although it provides a whole solution you may have to adapt your working methods to suit the product, and not how you would like to work. Sometimes the data forms provided for specific retail applications are not adequate and do not provide enough functions as the product itself is not designed for the retail industry it is mainly designed for automotive companies and distribution companies although Microsoft tried to add a retail element into the system. The product is standardised across industries so it is not a good fit for all types of sectors.

Microsoft Dynamics AX
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Dynamics AX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been working with Microsoft using this solution for about 12 years. We are a gold partner in Turkey, and we've implemented this solution in Turkey. We have also implemented this solution in Sweden. We support the old versions. The first version we used is the AX 2009 but today we are implementing the latest versions. We prefer to implement the solution in the cloud, although for economic reasons, some customers require the on-premises solution.

Premium support is good for the Microsoft aspect, but cloud support is not quite as good. They usually resolve issues very quickly, but sometimes do not provide key information when it is required by customers. This sometimes leads to clashes between partners and customers, as the partner is acting as first-line support.

The time it takes is mainly due to industry type and customers expectations. Customers often make a big mistake during implementation by not providing business logic upfront when it is required. Once it is known they start to test the application to make sure it is suitable for the business logic. They are in a rush to implement ERP. Some management consulting services companies are ignored during the project implementation. We usually implement Microsoft Dynamics AX within two months. Ultimately, it depends on the customer's expectations, not how can we manage, or design the solution. This can cause a delay in implementation times, and project timelines are increased. For example, in retail, an implementation can take just 2 months or 2 years. Retail business company's logic can be different from each other. The implementation part is easy if you know your business logic but if you don't know, it can take between 1 to 3 years to implement.

In Turkey, implementation has been difficult, as our customers are trying to reduce their IT personnel, and they want to push these services to the partners. This means the partners do not have experienced IT staff to liaise with on the implementations. The partners tend to use senior-level IT personnel working freelance, as it is not sustainable to pay the level of salaries they require permanently.

There are about 50 to 100 users, generally at each company. One of our customers has 200 stores. There's a lot of users when you calculate the number of users at each site. We negotiate licences with Microsoft. Microsoft provides a premium support agreement with partners. It's expensive for my country, Turkey. It's too expensive for customers to take this on themselves. As partners, we will buy this on behalf of the customers and then charge this value for each project.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is good. I would give Microsoft Dynamics AX 8 out of 10.

Navnath Baravkar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head IT and CIO at Mutual Automotive Pvt Ltd
    End-to-end ERP application; needs improvement with rights controls
    • "The most valuable feature I've found is the UI functionality."
    • "There is also slowness in database backup."

What is our primary use case?

We belong to a manufacturing automobile company, and we are using this application for:

• end-to-end ERP
    • Enterprise resource planning application right from our stores
    • Production planning to logistics
    • Finance
    • Quality.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization because, at that point in time, our whole isolated function came into a single system. It was the first step to digitizing the machine process.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature I've found is the UI functionality, user interface functionality. It's great.

What needs improvement?

The biggest improvement needed with the solution is security control or rights control to internal users. There is much improvement needed in that product line. Gradual level controls were missing, or if we are allowed some controls, then it will automatically go to different ones. We cannot give proper controls or user rights to internal user sections.

There is also slowness in database backup.

We started our journey with Microsoft Dynamics AX in 2009 and have been using the solution since early 2011.

In terms of functionality, it's a stable product, but frankly speaking, looking at the market footprint in the Indian market, there are two fewer customers in India for Microsoft ERP. If there is some kind of new functionality required, then there is very high dependability on specific partners. The technicality exporting that level of that product from that partner community is limited, compared to other established products like SAP or other solutions.

The scalability is similar to stability. It's generally scalable.

We've had up to 200 users but we currently have around 100 with no plan to increase usage.

We have not taken much support from the Microsoft tech team directly. We generally deal with that from our partner community.

Before we switched to Microsoft Dynamics, we were using Fox ERP Solutions. It was a solution
    with limited functionality and isolated functions. There is no scalability at all from the FoxPro application. At that time, we had five locations, and each location we had to keep altogether with a different kind of setup, different servers, different team to manage that, but we want an integrated feature, so we move from the Fox ERP solution to Microsoft.

The initial setup is not so simple or not so complex as well. It's a three-tier architecture. We have the application tier, database tier, and presentation level. It's a moderate setup at first. The full deployment took around six months.

We implemented with help from an external team, Godrej Infotech. They implemented that solution for us in our organization.

It depends on the scale of the organization or the functionality of the product, but to maintain this product in-house, will require around four or five people.

We have been using the product for the last 10 years, so we have some return on our investment.

When we first implemented the solution, Microsoft licensing was cames with the concurrent use licensing. Nowadays, even if we procure the license, the additional cost of the operating system, the additional cost of database licenses, the additional cost of Visual Studio, and the additional cost for Microsoft Office and that all. If we need to access that from remote locations, multiple branches, then we need to procure remote desktop services licenses. So apart from licenses of Microsoft ERP, there are multiple licenses, supporting licenses we need to procure. That is the disadvantage of the solution. The ownership cost or, rather, whatever the initial investment cost goes up due to this hidden cost. Initially, that is not considered in many things.

Before we switched to Microsoft Dynamics, we also consider Baan, Oracle, and SAP at that point in time.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution a six out of ten.

It will serve all basic purposes but from an analytics perspective, there will be some limitations. You will not get ready-made things from the solution. You need to develop or you need to integrate with multiple products to see that kind of reporting from it.

Microsoft Dynamics AX
    November 2022
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Timpa D Angaye - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
    Flexible and cost effective with the ability to automate business processes
    • "It is flexible and cost-effective."
    • "The product takes some training to get up to speed on all functionality and modules in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 ERP system."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Dynamics AX 2021 is an integrated Enterprise Resource Planning system, that you can use for everything that a business requires to operate. It includes modules for manufacturing and production, inventory management and distribution, time and expense management, project management, human resource management, and some CRM functionality (such as sales and marketing). The application fits a wide range of industries and comes with integration capabilities with a wide range of 3 party applications. The application aids businesses to enhance visibility across the organization, improves financial controls, increases forecasting accuracy, boosts staff productivity, and gives better oversight. You can also develop your own customizations and new modules from the backend.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has helped us to make smarter and faster decisions

Innovation is the key to success in this fast-paced business environment and the Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 ERP solution puts an organization on the fast track by unifying complex data, providing the business with predictive analysis through KPIs and BI reporting tools. With Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012, decision-making is quick and efficient.

Microsoft Dynamics AX reduces costs on the organization's server maintenance, including:

• Eliminating new purchases of servers.
    • Reducing server room maintenance.

What is most valuable?

The workflow is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

AX provides the capability to easily automate business processes through customizable and template-based workflows within each module. Individuals in different roles are prompted to process workflow documents via their role center in AX or through email.

It is flexible and cost-effective.

Due to the constantly changing market, a flexible ERP solution would be a good choice. With Microsoft Dynamics AX, an organization gets access to a wide range of products under the solution that adds value. This makes it a cost-effective solution.

What needs improvement?

The product takes some training to get up to speed on all functionality and modules in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 ERP system. Some users complain that the interface is not very user-friendly. An improved interface with a user-friendly approach will be an improvement on the application.

Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 ERP systems development and customizations can be quite expensive to implement. You will need to run some trials to ensure the application is the right solution for your organization's needs and budget. The cost of customization can be reduced by introducing DIY measures

Its mobile app only works for Windows phones and does not offer all of its features. Some users experience difficulty connecting to some modules, functionality and tools while using the mobile app for Microsoft Dynamics AX. An improvement would be to create mobile versions for Androids and iOS devices.

I've used the solution for six years.

It is a stable solution.

The solution is very scalable.

The customer service and support teams are always available to treat your support requests.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I have used other ERP solutions, however, I switched to Microsoft Dynamics AX because it gave me the ability for customization and development

The initial setup was complex due to the need for coding, customizations, and expertise.

We implemented the solution through a vendor.

They showed a high level of professionalism.

Our ROI is over 27%.

With the new feature from Microsoft D365, you can choose to go for only the modules that your organization requires and pay for that alone. This reduces a bit of cost even though the cost for the application is above the average.

I evaluated other options like SAGE, QuickBooks, and SAP.

What other advice do I have?

It's actually a good solution for mid-sized and enterprise organizations.

Shahzad-Islam - PeerSpot reviewer
    ERP Project Manager & Managing Consultant at Liwa Education, Iranfava
    Stable, with lots of competitive features, including asset management
    • "There's a moderate amount of scalability available."
    • "The solution in general just needs a few quality improvements."

What is our primary use case?

Of the majority of projects I was involved in, two of them were for retail. They wanted to use it for the POS. One was a distribution company and one was for the production. They were importing and repacking some goods, FMCG goods, and selling them. The product was used mostly in scenarios of that type.

What is most valuable?

It's good for retail businesses.

It expands a lot and constantly bringing on new features. It's got a lot of competitive features.

The stability is okay.

There's a moderate amount of scalability available.

They've put in asset management, which has been a nice improvement.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be simplified and streamlined a bit.

There should be more clarity and better functionality in the master planning features.

It's not easy to set up.

It would be ideal if the product was priced at a bit less.

The solution in general just needs a few quality improvements.

I'm finding that often on-premises versions are getting left behind and new features more often are getting prioritized for the cloud. It's my understanding that they are doing this to push clients over to the cloud.

I've used the solution for four or more years on multiple projects.

The stability is very good for the most part. Business 365 is a better solution on the stability front, however, I can't recall dealing with bugs or glitches and I can't recall it crashing or freezing.

The scalability is okay, however, S4HANA is more scalable than this product. Even with the POS version, if we go above a certain limit, we can have performance issues. The AX is scalable to the mid-level market and mid-level customers.

The technical support from Microsoft is not bad. Normally, they are cooperative people. Normally in these kinds of software companies, they have their roadmap.  The support is rather satisfactory. We're happy with them.

I have some experience with Microsoft.

The difference between SAP and Microsoft is that, with Microsoft, you have to do more development. In SAP, you do less development. If a company is good with a developer and comfortable with the developer, I would suggest the AX. If they have less IT infrastructure for coding and development, then it might be better to look at something simpler.

It's not easy to set up. You have to see a lot of things, a lot of setups, to get the hang of it. On top of that, often there are a number of items that the company is not using, and you have to put the defaults in place for that. It's not easy to configure.

I don't deal with the licensing or pricing side of things, and therefore can't speak to how much it costs or how often licensing comes due. It is likely mid-level pricing - not the cheapest, and not the most expensive. There are other options for smaller-scale businesses such as NetSuite or SAP Business One that likely cost less.

What other advice do I have?

I work as an implementor and a consultant and I partner with Microsoft and SAP.

In the country I work in, only on-premises solutions are possible. They are not going into cloud solutions at all.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

If a company has a good development infrastructure, and they have an in-house development team, for smaller software such as SAP Business One and NetSuite, you can go with one developer or fewer developers. However, with AX or Dynamics 365, normally you'd probably be best with three to four developers in-house.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
    User at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Installation is simple, but technical support could be improved
    • "The installation is extremely simple, and I have had no problems with it."
    • "At times there are issues related to reporting, sometimes with the integration between two or three modules, and sometimes to the logic itself."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Dynamics AX is used to meet my company's needs in terms of finance and financial consolidation, purchasing, recruitment.

We are using this solution. This solution is not provided by us.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Dynamics AX meets my requirements.

What needs improvement?

There are some critical issues that we couldn't fix or that we couldn't workaround to solve, but it's almost non-existent.

At times there are issues related to reporting, sometimes with the integration between two or three modules, and sometimes to the logic itself. We are in Egypt, and in some cases, such as but not limited to HR, we have a unique profile.

The problem, however, is not with the installation, but with the application itself. When it comes to business intelligence, I don't think it's a good business intelligence application. Give me a viewer and some Excel-based tools to create my report, but it's not a full business intelligence solution.

In the next release, I would like to see better reporting and better integration between modules.

We have been working with Microsoft Dynamics AX since 2014. It's been eight years.

We have deployed this solution on-premise and now are planning to migrate to Microsoft Dynamics 365 or Oracle NetSuite.

We are working with the Dynamics XR3 version.

We can say it's stable, but there are some critical issues. 85% of the time it is a stable solution. On a larger scale, I can't depend on it.

Microsoft Dynamics AX is a scalable solution.

We are an investment company with subsidiaries and sister companies in some cases. For some projects, we can collaborate on all ERP systems across the organization, including all subsidiaries and sister companies. And in such cases, it will be on a larger scale, with a minimum of 15 user enterprise accounts.

We have a long-term plan that will not be implemented in the near future, but I intend to do it in the long run.

I have five business accounts and seven function accounts. So there are approximately 12 users.

Technical support needs improvement. I'm not going to accept Microsoft's assistance.

They almost always take a long time to resolve any problem. For example, a year ago, I had a problem with my management reporter that took more than six months to resolve.

We discovered that there is no problem with the management reporter after conducting an investigation. It had to do with updates or some sort of updates.

I have operated a variety of ERP solutions in the past, some of which were built locally by a small, local vendor, it's not a big brand or vendor, and for manufacturing, we use Verticent ERP Applications.

The installation is extremely simple, and I have had no problems with it.

We are a subsidiary, with subsidiaries and sister companies.

I collaborate and manage their work.

We have two for this company and 12 for all subsidiaries as well as the sister companies.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it for a small business, but not on a larger scale. They can, in my opinion, meet their requirements.

I would rate  Microsoft Dynamics AX a seven out of ten.

Data Analytics Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    Helps organize, automate, and optimize our processes
    • "The relation between CRM and Sales, that's the main strength of this ERP."
    • "They should include some modules related to solving customer problems or resolving support tickets from our customers — like a help desk for ERPs."

What is our primary use case?

We have the following modules: Finance, Purchase, CRM, Treasury, and sales.

Within our company, there are roughly 15 employees using this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I feel that most people are friendly with this solution. Using it, we can provide quick, thorough, and more effective service to our customers.

What is most valuable?

The relation between CRM and Sales, that's the main strength of this ERP.

What needs improvement?

They should include some modules related to solving customer problems or resolving support tickets from our customers — like a help desk for ERPs.

I would like to have more attractive options to migrate our ERP to the cloud. There should be something to motivate us to migrate our on-premises installation into the cloud installation.

I have been using Microsoft Dynamics AX for four years.

We actually have a lot of problems with the stability of Dynamics AX. We spend a lot of time trying to solve bugs and other issues. However, once all of these issues are solved, it's quite stable.

We spent two or three months trying to identify some problems related to our balance sheets. It wasn't listing our transactions correctly throughout the modules.

We have not had any issues with scalability because we are a small company. Scalability-wise, it's great.

Out of ten, I would give the technical support a rating of six.

We used to use a different solution, but It was outdated. That's why we migrated to a mobile ERP.

The initial setup was straightforward. Overall, it took six months.

We deployed everything at once. Our tech team installed everything from the beginning to the end, solving any problems along the way and moving quickly to go live.

We had a training partner and some consultants that guided us in the implementation — only for supervision purposes.

Overall, I believe eight people were involved in the deployment, including one team manager.

I don't know how much this solution costs off the top of my head, but I know that the cloud and SaaS solutions are cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Director, Information Technology at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
    User-friendly with familiar UI but needs more presence in our region
    • "It has the same UI and is very similar to any other Microsoft product."
    • "Microsoft needs more presence in our region to help with management and maintenance."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the basic functions which are required for finance and HR, and that's it.

What is most valuable?

It depends on how you deploy it and how you implement it, however, from a feature point of view, Dynamics is easy to use and very user-friendly. It has the same UI and is very similar to any other Microsoft product. Features-wise the navigation bar that they have makes it easy for exporting everything to Excel.

What needs improvement?

This is considered by Microsoft as an older product and unsupported. Microsoft is urging its clients to move to Dynamics 365, which is going to be coming into the pipeline. While it's a great product, we know that there is no support anymore for it.

The most important thing is to have compatibility with the business types. Microsoft is very rich and therefore it's possible for them to ensure it can apply to various areas.

I've been using the solution for nine years.

The solution is mostly stable. It depends on your hardware sources much more than from an application point of view. It still requires much better infrastructure resources to be perfectly stable.

You cannot scale it too much.

We have about 30 people using the solution currently.

Microsoft doesn't support it even if you maintain the support fees on a yearly basis. It's at end-of-life. Users need to move to Dynamics 365.

While the implementation took place before I came on board, my understanding is it takes around six to seven months to get implemented.

We pay a yearly licensing fee to Microsoft. Compared to the other ERPs, the pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise new users to know first, what kind of business they are going to be, in or if that business needs to be running on top of Dynamics or not. If it's finance, then it's fine. If it's not finance, then they need to take something more industrious and geared towards a specific system.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Osama Nabih - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Executive Officer at Easy Touch
    Flexible, easy to use, and well-covers business needs
    • "It is stable, suitable for businesses, and covers all business needs."
    • "There is no Arabic interface in Microsoft Business Central, which is a big weak point."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Dynamix AX is one of the products that we implement for our clients. It is primarily used for the Industrial Field in Egypt, although we have implemented solutions for doctors and trading companies, like Pingu for kids' games and toys.

We also focus on trading and investors, especially in the food industry.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Dynamics is a great product. All Dynamic products are great.

It is stable, suitable for businesses, and covers all business needs.

It's very flexible and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

There is no Arabic interface in Microsoft Business Central, which is a big weak point. There is, however, an Arabic interface for Dynamics AX, but not Dynamics AX Business center. This is an area that needs to be focused on.

In the next release, I would like to see an Indian-Arabic interface.

Taxation may need some enhancements for vendors. They need a discount scheme for selling.

Also, they need more features.

We have been using Microsoft Dynamics AX since 2007.

It's very stable.

Microsoft Dynamics is scalable. Most of our clients are medium-sized businesses but some are enterprise companies.

We follow Sure Step Methodology and provide the Sure Step documents for our customers.

Pricing for Dynamics is costly and needs to be improved. To boost the users to purchase a minimum license to end-users on the Cloud is expensive.

The Business Central price is quite suitable. It is $70.00 per user per month and $100 per month as a package, which is better.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to focus on the size of the business when it comes to creating a solution.

For example, if it's a medium-sized company, don't offer Business Central. Instead, offer them AX for finance and operations. Or, or if they are not medium don't sell them finance and operations, sell them the Business Center it would be a better choice.

Give the user what they need.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free Microsoft Dynamics AX Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022