Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft Dynamics NAV OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Dynamics NAV is #4 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software and #7 ranked solution in top ERP tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Dynamics NAV an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Microsoft Dynamics NAV is most commonly compared to SAP ERP: Microsoft Dynamics NAV vs SAP ERP. Microsoft Dynamics NAV is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 21% of all views.
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft Dynamics NAV?
Microsoft Dynamics NAV is a global enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution that provides small and midsize businesses greater control over their financials and can simplify their supply chain, manufacturing, and operations. It's quick to implement and easy to use, with the power to support your growth ambition.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV was previously known as Dynamics NAV, MS Dynamics NAV.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Customers
Harris Farm Markets, Mister Spex GmbH, Bounce Foods, Eurofin Services SA, Medica Medizintechnik, Associated Gaskets, Onduline, Sitka Surfboard Corporation, World Animal Protection
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Video

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Dynamics NAV pricing:
  • "The cost is one of the benefits. If you don't want to go for the full-blown finance and operations, the pricing model is a lot cheaper and has now switched to being based on a per-user subscription. So, if it's on cloud, you now have an expense instead of a large CapEx. If it's on-prem, you obviously still have to continue with the licensing model that they have, but if you compare the features and functionality, in terms of the price that you pay, I find it's better than other products. My answer on the pricing would be slightly different, depending on the country you're in and the return on investment, based on the size of the company. It's well-priced internationally. I think the new model is priced even better because it's now subscription-based and, if you go for cloud, the return on investment is a lot quicker and if it's expense, you can cap it. If you do take the on-prem version, the licensing is still priced as what it used to be, so that would depend on what country you are in."
  • "I think the pricing is the best; it's cost effective for sure."
  • "The on-premises model of Dynamics NAV is very expensive, hence our plan to migrate to Dynamics 365 Business Central, which appears to fit our needs better in terms of pricing. Compared to competitors, the cloud version of Dynamics is in the middle; not too high and not too low."
  • "The first time we tried to buy the newest version, it was expensive."
  • "NAV might be a little pricey for a small or medium-sized company, but all the solutions out there are."
  • "I have some subscription-based customer and a few customers who have perpetual licenses that hosted the application on the cloud."
  • Microsoft Dynamics NAV Reviews

Microsoft Dynamics Specialist at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Very easy to scale and the new pricing model is a lot cheaper
    • "All of the features are valuable, depending on where you implement them. I've done implementations in 60 countries, across 86 different companies and groups, and each company has a different reason for why they want to use it. Every single feature that I've implemented has been successful, and for some companies, where they didn't use the functionality, they have moved to external products or they've integrated into other applications."
    • "Microsoft Dynamics NAV could be improved in terms of exporting income statements and balance sheets. Currently, there is a feature, but you can only have the last three years. I spent some time trying to improve the KPI portion that exports the data, that already calculates the sub forms or subtotals, but they weren't able to break that up into different dimensions. They've now managed to crowd the separate table and you can export that, but it's only for the last three years. So, they could improve this solution by getting the chart of accounts or the account schedules to be exported, where you can go further than just three years with it."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Dynamics NAV is used for sales, purchasing inventory, manufacturing, advancing fixed assets, document integration, and now there is also a service module. This solution is now called Business Central, but it's the same product.

I have implemented Microsoft Dynamics both on cloud and on-premises, but the company I work for now has it deployed on-premises.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this product for 21 years.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Dynamics NAV. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I'd say Microsoft Dynamics NAV is stable.

The SQL portion does require some maintenance. From an operational perspective, you do need to do some housekeeping to keep it up to date. In terms of maintenance, the only maintenance that you really need, from a consultant perspective, is if you want to upgrade to a new version or if you want to implement new features from the new cumulative update. But it's not really regarded as maintenance—it's more of an upgrade.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV is very easy to scale, as long as you understand the limitations of the product. There is a bit of a problem if too many people try and pro-post simultaneously to the general ledger. You do get locked out sometimes. So, you have to look at the size of the company—and you can add as many companies as you want—but when you go over 250 users, you have to start looking at a larger product. It's significantly scalable, but there is a limit to how many users per company you should have before you start getting performance issues.

I specialize in the manufacturing companies, but I've implemented this solution for companies of all sizes.

I think that Microsoft's technical support is extremely good, but that's just because I used to deal directly with the development team at Microsoft and I used to present at events. From my experience, it's very good. There have been some instances where they didn't get it right, but the majority of the time—I'd say 99% of the time—they give good advice.

From a business intelligence perspective, I have connected or created cubes or analytics services from multiple databases, anything from SAP, Pascal, JD Edwards, Oracle, Cognos, Executive Viewer. For ERP, I'm only working with Dynamics NAV and Business Central.

I'm regarded as an expert, so the initial setup was easy because I've worked with it for so long and I've done so many implementations. Past partners still use me as a resource that they can lean on if they have any issues with their solutions. For me, I think the product is quite easy, but that is purely because of the experience and knowledge that I have about the product.

I have implemented this solution myself.

The cost is one of the benefits. If you don't want to go for the full-blown finance and operations, the pricing model is a lot cheaper and has now switched to being based on a per-user subscription. So, if it's on cloud, you now have an expense instead of a large CapEx. If it's on-prem, you obviously still have to continue with the licensing model that they have, but if you compare the features and functionality, in terms of the price that you pay, I find it's better than other products.

My answer on the pricing would be slightly different, depending on the country you're in and the return on investment, based on the size of the company. It's well-priced internationally. I think the new model is priced even better because it's now subscription-based and, if you go for cloud, the return on investment is a lot quicker and if it's expense, you can cap it. If you do take the on-prem version, the licensing is still priced as what it used to be, so that would depend on what country you are in.

What other advice do I have?

My rating is biased because I'm a Microsoft resource, but I rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

To those looking into implementing this solution, I would first advise you to do your research. Make sure that the product does what you want it to do. You also need to understand the limitations of the product. If you want a payroll system, it's not a payroll system. You need to know these kinds of things.

Project Consultant ( Scale Up) at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    Light, user-friendly, and has organized workflows, but reporting, integration, and data capture need improvement
    • "For me, the main strengths of Microsoft Dynamics NAV are that it's user-friendly and light. These are its major wins. I have used other ERPs and their architecture were a little more complex when compared to the Microsoft Dynamics NAV architecture."
    • "Any request that had come from the website had to go through an e-form which was then plugged into Microsoft Dynamics NAV. There was no direct data capture. That was the pain point, where clients had to build e-forms, and that caused delays in transactions and getting information."

What is most valuable?

For my clients, the most important feature of Microsoft Dynamics NAV has been the workflows, including how organized the information flows across. That has been the key reason for the entire migration, and why my clients have been using Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

My clients have multiple business areas, and each business area is independent and uses Microsoft Dynamics NAV. It's not like one license is being used across business units. Now my clients are trying to remove all of that, in particular, remove all those multiple systems and bring them into one omnichannel.

For me, the main strengths of Microsoft Dynamics NAV are that it's user-friendly and light. These are its major wins. I have used other ERPs and their architecture were a little more complex when compared to the Microsoft Dynamics NAV architecture. The solution is customizable and user-friendly, and these are the key elements that I like best about Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

What needs improvement?

One of the main areas my clients had concerns with was the reporting function of Microsoft Dynamics NAV, and it probably depends on what level of licensing clients have. These are not complex users, and I'm not talking about millions of cases or tickets. This is a very limited number of users who felt that reporting is one of the areas for improvement in the solution.

Each department has gone and bought tools independently, and there's no interdepartmental communication, so another pain point is integrating Microsoft Dynamics NAV with other tools. There are so many systems running, so it's not entirely the fault of Microsoft Dynamics NAV why some customers are moving. It could be because prior business decisions were different from what they are now.

Another pain point or area for improvement was that any request that had come from the website had to go through an e-form which was then plugged into Microsoft Dynamics NAV. There was no direct data capture. That was the pain point, where clients had to build e-forms, and that caused delays in transactions and getting information. I'm unsure if the design was incorrect, so I'm unable to comment on it, but that is one of the pain points or areas for improvement in Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

I find Microsoft Dynamics NAV stable. It's fluid and stable enough for the loads my customers are using. I can't comment beyond that. There are one hundred fifty to twenty thousand tickets a year, and based on that volume, the solution is stable. There's no problem with it.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV is scalable. I like it. It's light and fast enough. I don't know why some customers are migrating. They can upgrade Microsoft Dynamics NAV or modify certain elements if they can and use it, as opposed to moving to another solution.

My clients had no technical issues and their usage was also limited, so they didn't contact the technical support team of Microsoft Dynamics NAV. Based on their usage, raising tickets, or anything about flow, there were no problems.

I have not done a setup for Microsoft Dynamics NAV before. I have only worked on my existing projects but have not set up the solution, so I have no comment on how straightforward or complex the setup is.

We didn't compare Microsoft Dynamics NAV with other ERP systems. What we are trying out is an enterprise booking tool that will replace Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

What other advice do I have?

I have experience with Microsoft Dynamics NAV, but not with IFS.

I'm currently doing a project with Microsoft Dynamics NAV. I'm a consultant who works with migration tools. For example, in 2011 and 2015, I worked on migration projects and did migrations over to new platforms.

Currently, I have under twenty-five users of Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

I don't know what the maintenance fees of my clients are. The reasons for them changing to a different solution have nothing to do with the product, with Microsoft Dynamics NAV. It's a change in the business model. The pricing for the product is not the reason why clients are switching over, for example, one was buying a house, and now everybody is getting together and buying one solution.

I'd give Microsoft Dynamics NAV a rating of six from my exposure to it and what I've learned about it from end-users and its limitations.

My company is a partner of Microsoft.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    September 2022
    634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    Very customizable, quite stable, and offers a straightforward setup
    • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
    • "It would be nice if the integration process was easier."

What is our primary use case?

We are into pension funds administration. Our core function involves onboarding of clients, management pension funds and remittance of client pensions when they meet the criteria set out for disbursement. The management process of pension funds involves collection of clients monthly pension contributions and investing the asset to generate additional value for our clients and this is where MS Navision comes into the picture.

We essentially use MS Navision as our backend ERP system being used in managing all the records and potential costumer requests. However, we use a different system in managing our investment booking process.

Invariably, there is a handshake between our MS NAV system and investment solution which helps to create the unitization process and generation of fund price.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps to automate the management and processing of clients funds

What is most valuable?

One of the reasons why NAV was best suited for us was the fact that it was customizable. All the functions aren't off-the-shelf.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

We're actively looking at migrating to Business Central by the end of the year. This is due to the fact that support for the solution would have ended. MS Business Central is Microsoft's replacement to MS NAV which would reached it's end of life this year.

It would be nice if the integration process was much easier.

I don't see any reason why Microsoft can't use a standard Microsoft development environment  to develop it. It makes it hard for my development team to create additional module using another development language C/side

We've been using NAV for more than 10 years. We even upgraded from the 2015 to 2017 model. We have been using the product for a very long time at this point.

The solution is quite stable. We have no complaints. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

The product is quite scalable. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so.

Technical support has been good over the time. However, Microsoft is ending support in June of this year, which is why we need to move away from the product.

There are two things to keep in mind with the initial setup. The installation is different from customization. Installing NAV is pretty easy, however, as a customer, we have to get a Microsoft partner to help us build the models that we want to have on it, which leads to additional costs. That said, in terms of installing it, it's pretty straightforward.

In order to get the solution to suit our environment, it took us six months to deploy the a fully functional solution.

We do need the assistance of a Microsoft partner to help us customize certain models.

There are additional costs involved due to the fact that you need Microsoft partners to help build out specific modules that are not out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft is stopping support for NAV this year, which is why we are planning to migrate to Business Central. We expect it to have good technical support and also easy to use. Most  likely, the solution will be similar, so that we don't need a lot of training on the new system before or after migration.

While I would normally recommend the solution to other organizations, the problem right now is that the product is no longer being supported by the OEM.

I would suggest that organizations planning to move to MS NAV should focus on MS Business central instead.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Kamesh Gunupur - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vice President - Information Systems at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Is highly flexible and functional, but auditing control needs improvement
    • "I have found the flexibility to be very valuable. It's highly flexible, and at least for us, it has been effective. It is also highly functional."
    • "Some of the control aspects such as auditing can definitely be improved. For example, auditing is not very easy, and the user permissions are complicated."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Dynamics NAV gets used for our internal financial services. It's the main finance application for us. We use it as our ERP software.

What is most valuable?

I have found the flexibility to be very valuable. It's highly flexible, and at least for us, it has been effective. It is also highly functional.

A regular consultant will be able to do a lot more than that with some of the other platforms. With SAP, you may need a specialized consultant for each module. You won't get one person who is an expert in multiple modules that can do a lot of work easily. This is not the case with Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

So, it's cost effective in terms of price and maintenance as well. You get resources that are very helpful, and the application by itself is very flexible.

It's stable and scalable at small to medium load requirements.

What needs improvement?

Some of the control aspects such as auditing can definitely be improved. For example, auditing is not very easy, and the user permissions are complicated.

Also, Materials Management is a bit limited.

At the moment, I definitely want them to scale up and make audit control easy to manage.

Some of the code should be optimized for better performance.

I've been using it for 10 years.

I think we have around 1,000 NAV users with a peak load of around 400 to 500 users. At that load, our systems are actually stable.

It's being used in multiple use cases, whether it's small, medium, or large organizations. Because of the flexibility, it works in many of the use cases, but in large organizations where you need better structure, high scalability, and performance, SAP has a better profile.

We work very closely with technical support. I'm satisfied, but I won't say that it's great; it's just good. They are engaged with us, but there are times when we do not get the solution that we are looking for, and at other times, it just takes time. In general, the best part is that they're easily accessible and that they're supportive.

I think the pricing is the best; it's cost effective for sure.

What other advice do I have?

We used SAP in my previous organization, and in this organization, we're on Microsoft Dynamics NAV. SAP is highly structured, and at times, it doesn't let you customize it the way you would want to. However, Microsoft Dynamics NAV provides a little bit of flexibility.

I think it's a decent product to evaluate. If you have use cases with small to medium load requirements, Microsoft Dynamics NAV is a good option. You can do other configurations as well with it.

However, if you have an excess load of 1,000 or 1,000 plus users, you would definitely need to look for a more enterprise solution like SAP or AX.

With Microsoft Dynamics NAV, Materials Management is a bit limited. So if you're a small organization and have resources to manage that kind of thing, this solution will be cost effective.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Microsoft Dynamics NAV at seven.

Senior Customer Success Manager at Precio Fishbone Vietnam
    Lets us centralize all our information on the same platform
    • "The most important feature of Microsoft Dynamics NAV is that it lets us centralize all our information so that we don't need to rely on any other software outside of Microsoft."
    • "I think Microsoft should improve on the process of how the user decides on a business workflow. For example, there may be some kind of drag-and-drop interface that lets us decide for ourselves how to develop the business workflows that fit our purpose."

What is our primary use case?

In our market, we use most of the modules in Microsoft Dynamics NAV for manufacturing consulting and implementation, which is our main customer demand right now. However, we also use other ERPs such as SAP, Odoo (open source software) and we also have some experience with Oracle NetSuite. Additionally, we do many integrations with SAP, but we're not using SAP much currently.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the ways in which Microsoft Dynamics NAV has helped our company is that it allows us to centralize our information on the same platform.

What needs improvement?

But it's not just about the interface. We often deal with multilevel workflows, depending on the department or the person in charge, and there isn't enough flexibility in the way we need to make certain adjustments. Our workaround has been to perform some custom development alongside Dynamics NAV to enable us to refine the workflows.

Partly because of the pricing structure of Dynamics NAV, we have a plan to migrate to Dynamics 365 Business Central, essentially moving it into the cloud version. If we compare Dynamics 365 Business Central to other competitors like SAP or NetSuite, the price is not too high and not too low. However, for our own brand I think Dynamics NAV is good enough for us right now.

I have been using Microsoft Dynamics NAV for more than four years.

I think it's stable.

It's scalable in some ways, but in other ways not so much. Which is okay, because at the moment lots of people simply want a standard low-cost platform.

We use the support from another vendor, not directly from the Microsoft team.

What other advice do I have?

We are both partners and clients of Microsoft and to others looking into Dynamics NAV, I will advise that if you're looking for a central platform to work on, you should view Microsoft 365, Office 365, etc., and other Microsoft products together and innovate. Integrate and collect all the information between your systems.

For us, the day may be coming to move to Dynamics 365 Business Central, and if you want to centralize all your data in one platform going forward, that's what I would recommend as well.

I would rate Microsoft Dynamics NAV an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    IT Manager at a construction company with 201-500 employees
    A useful enterprise resource planning app that makes data more manageable
    • "Our data is much more manageable than before."
    • "Customization and costs could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Dynamics NAV for everything that the software has to offer. Some accounting, financing, a little bit of CRM, order processing, marketing sales, and ERP.

How has it helped my organization?

Microsoft Dynamics NAV has helped us reduce the amount of paper used within the organization.

What is most valuable?

Everything seems to be useful for each production department. We have everything recorded in the database, so our data is much more manageable than before. That's one of the greatest advantages.

What needs improvement?

Customization and costs could be improved. Customization is a little complex, so we don't do that. We just use the basic features provided there. We also don't have a theme to customize it as it costs a lot.

In terms of what I see from the IT department, it would help if we could create an application within Dynamics NAV itself, like a dashboard, which we could customize ourselves.

It'll also help if they had documentation to help with API programming. I have a hard time finding the documentation about it. We need to drill down through the output and input of the structures they gave us, and I can't find a detailed explanation of the objects and properties.

I've been using Microsoft Dynamics NAV for about seven years.

The stability of Microsoft Dynamics NAV is quite good. I think on a scale from one to ten; I'm going to give it a seven or an eight as it depends on the database.

Scalability depends on the hardware as the software is really simple. Scalability also depends on the database.

Our Microsoft partner here is quite responsive whenever we call them.

At first, the initial setup feels complex, and we have to do some modeling to know how to deploy it. We've been studying it, and it's becoming quite easy compared to SAP.

The first time we tried to buy the newest version, it was expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to get whatever data is needed to implement this. The partnership should give you whatever you need, according to your experience.

Just ask what's the requirement and follow the partner's guide. It's already a step-by-step process. It's not going to be very difficult to follow. They will explain what's required of us as the customer and what data we should put there.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Dynamics NAV an eight.

Steven Hoag - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Consultant at Fortitude Systems
    It's an all-inclusive solution, so that makes everything neat
    • "NAV covers everything from purchasing and selling items to invoicing. Everything is within NAV, so it's all very neat."
    • "If Microsoft made some of the security setups a little easier to work with, that would be a significant improvement. The warehouse management features could also use some work. We had to buy third-party software to make NAV's warehouse management and security more usable and functional."

What is our primary use case?

We use NAV to run our entire business.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

NAV provides a framework that you can build on and customize to fit your business needs

What needs improvement?

Some people might be disappointed to find that NAV isn't a turnkey solution. It's just a framework for you to build on. It has been challenging to get some of our more peculiar business practices to work in the system.

And if Microsoft made some of the security setups a little easier to work with, that would be a significant improvement. The warehouse management features could also use some work. We had to buy third-party software to make NAV's warehouse management and security more usable and functional.

We've been using it for seven years now.

NAV is solid. It runs great.

It's effortless to scale NAV up.

We haven't had to Microsoft for support on anything. So far, the vendor has helped us with any issues that came up.

We had a simple accounting system before, and we wrote our own warehouse management system to work with that. We switched to NAV when we found out the other system would no longer be supported. The appeal of NAV was that it's all-inclusive, so we didn't need 15 different programs to keep the business running. We do everything in NAV now.

NAV might be a little pricey for a small or medium-sized company, but all the solutions out there are.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dynamics NAV eight out of 10. If you're going to implement NAV, make sure you have a reputable partner who knows the solution. It's a long and detailed process, so you need partners with experience and a track record. Our first go-around was pretty much a failure. We had to fire our first vendor and bring in a second to get everything running right.

Dinesh Parashar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Practice Head- Epicor at coporateserve Solutions pvt. ltd.
    Reseller
    Versatile, intuitively easy to use, but not suited for large businesses
    • "Microsoft products are very good in general. This product is flexible, easy to use, intuitive, and has good capabilities."
    • "The solution is not best suited for larger-scale businesses."

What is most valuable?

Microsoft products are very good in general. This product is flexible, easy to use, intuitive, and has good capabilities. The solution does well in India because of the solid brand Microsoft has created.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not best suited for larger-scale businesses. The features are lacking, there could be more add ons available. There are some other areas that are lacking but there are separate solutions for those other areas not covered in this solution. For example, field services and CRM are in Dynamic 365 and there is no BI feature but there a separate application for that called Power BI.

I would like to see some project related feature in upcoming releases of the application. Some companies are professional service companies and they can also be project-based. Having some projects features would be helpful. If they are not including manufacturing, then at least they can add features for project-based companies.

I have been using this solution for 13 years.

We had some issues with the stability with NAV2016. There were times when it would crash when we were doing a high amount of data entry.

The solution is best suited for small businesses especially those offering services and distribution.

There has not been an updated version of this solution since NAV2016 here in India. Microsoft is releasing the replacement on April 1st, 2021 called Business Central and we already have many customers that are going to migrate.

The installation is easy.

We did the implementation of the solution.

I have some subscription-based customer and a few customers who have perpetual licenses that hosted the application on the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

If I was going to rate the solution in terms of global positive effectiveness, I would give it an eight out of ten. However, if I was going to rate it out of the sum of features and functionality, then I would rate it a four or five.

Overall, I rate Microsoft Dynamics NAV a six out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free Microsoft Dynamics NAV Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022