Moogsoft OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Moogsoft is the #6 ranked solution in top IT Operations Analytics tools, #10 ranked solution in top AIOps tools, and #36 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give Moogsoft an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Moogsoft is most commonly compared to Splunk Enterprise Security: Moogsoft vs Splunk Enterprise Security. Moogsoft is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 79% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the IT Infrastructure Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2023

What is Moogsoft?

Moogsoft is an AI-based solution that ensures continuous availability and prevents downtime by utilizing machine learning and advanced correlation on your organization’s stack. Moogsoft detects incidents before they can escalate, notifies the proper response teams, and applies machine learning in order to understand patterns to help prevent similar issues in the future.

Moogsoft sits on top of an organization’s production stack and extends across automation, service management, log indexing, and notification tools. Algorithmic Noise Reduction automatically reduces event volumes to unique alerts without relying on rules, filters, or models. This enables teams to analyze all monitoring ecosystem events with no noise and no blind spots.

With Moogsoft extensive integration options, users can aggregate all their observable data into a single location and create automated workflows to detect and remediate incidents in third-party systems, ensuring their system remains unharmed. Moogsoft’s anomaly detection tools detect incidents as they emerge, allowing security teams to respond swiftly before they impact customers.

Teams can easily set up their own integrations using Moogsoft’s REST API and webhook. The solution provides guidance for each step, allowing users to import data from whatever tool they need with just a few mouse clicks.

Some of Moogsoft’s top features and benefits include:

• Alert noise reduction: By automatically applying statistical calculations and noise-reduction technologies to its alert data, Moogsoft eliminates unnecessary noise. This makes it easier to spot anomalies and alert only for important warnings.

• Correlation: The Moogsoft correlation methods analyze alerts to identify common ground across incidents and events. With Moogsoft’s sophisticated visualization tools, users can view patterns by location, source, or service.

• Anomaly detection: Moogsoft is designed to automatically reduce data, helping make anomalies more visible to security teams. Together with Moogsoft’s correlation abilities, it is simple to detect the probable root cause of issues that arise.

• Custom integrations: Integrating with Moogsoft is seamless. Moogsoft’s REST API and webhooks allow developers to easily retrieve and update data and launch events. Integrations enable full visibility to ensure that apps and services are continuously running.

• Collaboration: Moogsoft provides easy integration options with existing collaboration tools such as Microsoft Teams, PagerDuty, or Slack, allowing team members to gain visibility into the big picture of any incident that arises. No matter what their defined role in the organization is, everyone on the DevOps team can immediately step in when needed.

• Data enrichment: Multidomain enrichment data added as context with ingested alerts provide teams with important information on incidents, such as location, department, business relationships, and escalation processes. All data is imported from configuration database management systems, asset management databases, and discovery systems.

• User-friendly interface: Moogsoft’s intuitive interface provides users with full step-by-step support. This includes videos and tutorials for all user levels.

Reviews from Real Users

Moogsoft stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. A few major ones are its monitoring tools, its user-friendly interface, and its strong AI capabilities.

Vivek S., an O&M Lead at a communications service provider, writes, “The most valuable feature is the monitoring manager. Different components and different monitoring tools integrate with and send data to Moogsoft.

This is a user-friendly solution. It is very easy and very comfortable to use, with everything available on a single screen.

The AI component allows you to check previous cases and diagnose problems easily. It will show you what happened last time the same event occurred.”

Moogsoft Customers

RetailNext

Moogsoft Video

Moogsoft Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Moogsoft pricing:
  • "When compared to other solutions, it is quite good."
  • "Moogsoft's licensing is consumption-based, so the price may increase depending on the environment."
  • Moogsoft Reviews

Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Allows you to convert multiple alarms into situations, reducing your ticket count and burden on the system
    • "There are AI features in Moogsoft. Moogsoft has one wonderful feature that allows you to convert multiple alarms into situations. Generally, all other MoM tools get the alarms, and then convert it into an incident directly. There is one extra layer they have added before converting any alarm into an incident. Suppose there are multiple alarms that are somehow all related to a single source of issue. It converts all the alarms into a single situation, which then gets converted into an incident."
    • "They are very much dependent on open-source technologies like RabbitMQ message bus. They are using open-source databases, Apache Tomcat, NGINX. If we face any issues with Apache Tomcat or the RabbitMQ message bus, then we do not get support from them. We have to troubleshoot it ourselves."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using this tool as a MoM tool, manager of manager. We have integrated a lot of monitoring tools, enterprise monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, and database monitoring tools with Moogsoft to provide one unified console to the NOC guys so that they don't need to jump around on multiple tools to view the issues. Through Moogsoft, using a single layer and a single screen, they can see all the issues and they can act.

Further, Moogsoft is integrated with the ticketing tool ServiceNow. We are converting those alarms into tickets for further actions on resolving the issue.

We are developers, integrators, and consultants. We do everything.

What is most valuable?

There are AI features in Moogsoft. Moogsoft has one wonderful feature that allows you to convert multiple alarms into situations. Generally, all other MoM tools get the alarms, and then convert it into an incident directly. There is one extra layer they have added before converting any alarm into an incident. Suppose there are multiple alarms that are somehow all related to a single source of issue. It converts all the alarms into a single situation, which then gets converted into an incident.

Suppose your database is down, and all the applications associated with the database are also down. Moogsoft has its own AI capability as well as some inputs from us as well. We can give the inputs, and once the database goes down, then whatever alerts will come from that source tool, monitoring tool to Moogsoft, it will automatically put all those alarms into a single situation and convert it into an incident. Eventually, it is reducing your ticket count and extra burden on the system. That is one of the best features.

What needs improvement?

Moogsoft has room for improvement. They are very much dependent on open-source technologies like RabbitMQ message bus. They are using open-source databases, Apache Tomcat, NGINX. If we face any issues with Apache Tomcat or the RabbitMQ message bus, then we do not get support from them. We have to troubleshoot it ourselves.

Moogsoft is already using most of the AI features that they can use. I might not be knowledgeable enough in terms of the AI that can be used by Moogsoft in the future. All of the features are the very best.

Gartner is a website that keeps track of the latest technology and trends, and they have said that Moogsoft is built for the requirements of the next decade. They have already included all the features that could and should be added. They are innovative. They have 70 patents. If you look at the other AI tools like Splunk and all, they don't have as many patents as Moogsoft.

I have been using this solution for more than four years. I am currently working with Moogsoft. It is deployed on-premise.

IT Infrastructure Monitoring
    March 2023
    Find out what your peers are saying about Moogsoft, BigPanda, Datadog and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: March 2023.
    688,618 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. You will hardly face any issues like file corruption or an alert being missed out by the system. These things don't happen with Moogsoft. It is very smooth in processing the alarms. I haven't seen any component of Moogsoft malfunction. These things are not happening with Moogsoft.

The amount of people required for maintenance just depends. One person can handle it because most of these things are open sources. It doesn't take much time in the deployment, so obviously there aren't many processes that we have to take care of. It's not a wide tool in terms of the components. This tool has limited components, and all those components are working full-fledged.

If they have hands-on experience with Moogsoft, one or two people could easily handle it. They could be admin. We have a team of 20 people because we have 50 customers. If we only had 10 customers, then 5 people could manage it.

Development is also directly proportional to customer requirements. Based on the requirements, we can decide the manpower. If the customer is not very interested in development in Moogsoft and wants to use the basic features of Moogsoft, we don't need someone for development. We just have it installed, and they can use it.

Companies always draw a line for the limitation of a tool because they want to save themselves from any further issues. It depends on the hardware you are using and what you're using to run the core processes. It depends on if you have high bandwidth, the memory you're using, the GBs and terabytes of the storage you're using, and if you are using an advanced capable processor.

I cannot give you an exact figure because I've never seen any issue or any limitation with scalability. We are using it in a shared environment as a task. We are using the tool as a service. We have more than 50 customers and millions of alerts are coming in every day, and we have never faced any issues.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup is very straightforward. You just have to untar the given file. It will create all the directories itself, and you just have to run the process. It will intercommunicate with all the related processes and will start them itself.

Deployment should not take more than two or three days, even if you are very new to the Moogsoft. If you have hands-on experience, it will hardly take one day.

We are a service provider company, and we use Moogsoft for different customers. We don't use it for ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

They have so many AI features, but those features aren't as impactful as Moogsoft demonstrates in their videos or as they suggests you use them. "If you use this feature, this much noise reduction will happen." We have observed that this doesn't happen on the ground.

Tempus is a time-based algorithm feature. Suppose if some flooding has happened or something goes down. Obviously, hundreds of thousands of alerts will be there in your system. Tempus will activate and will put all those alarms into a single situation. We activated it, but then we found its behavior is not normal. Sometimes, it doesn't behave perfectly.

Whatever AI capability they have included, it still requires lots of improvement in their algorithm.

My advice is to be an expert in JavaScript, because this is the main language, programming, or rules language that we use, which Moogsoft supports for development.

My advice is don't learn Moogsoft only. Look around and learn about the freeware, open-sources software which Moogsoft is using, like RabbitMQ because in case RabbitMQ goes down or its message bus or database malfunctions, you will not get support from Moogsoft.

They can help you, but only to some extent only. If the database is corrupted and it requires some expert advice to troubleshoot it, there will be no support from Moogsoft.

Co-Founder & Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Automatic correlations, easy to install, stable, scalable, and the support is good
    • "I like the prediction features."
    • "I would like to see how Moogsoft integrates with the multi-cloud and brings out a single pane of glass, to see everything on one screen."

What is our primary use case?

I work with numerous products from old management framework products such as Tivoli to the latest products.

We are trying to migrate from Netcool/OMNIbus to Moogsoft for our customers.

What is most valuable?

I like the prediction features.

It's an automatic prediction of events, writing of the rules of analysis. With OMNIbus, you have to manually write the rules and make all of the correlations. It is my understanding that with Moogsoft, the correlations are done automatically.

What needs improvement?

With the multi-cloud and hybrid clouds coming into place, and where managed services are coming into existence. I would like to see how Moogsoft integrates with the multi-cloud and brings out a single pane of glass, to see everything on one screen.

As previously mentioned, I would like to see a single pane console addressing the different sets of environmental technologies. How do we integrate the process? We need a single pane of glass where we can manage all of the integrated applications.

I have been using Moogsoft for almost one year.

It can be scaled out better than OMNIbus

We had demos and presentations from the Moogsoft team directly. It was pretty good.

We haven't rolled out the product yet, so I am not sure how the production support will be.

For the sales team and the architecture team who are driving this new tool, they provide customer service.

We also just Loom with Moogsoft, we combine the two.

We also use Netcool/OMNIbus but migrating away from it. It's a good tool but it's an old product that has not improved with time. It is still stuck in time with the days of a coder selecting all of the events and manually writing all of the rules. It is becoming difficult for the users.

Where automation is becoming more used and known, we are still relying on tools where we need administrators who have to learn the rules of Netcool/OMNIbus, write them down, and put them into practice.

The administration cost becomes too high when it comes to Netcool/OMNIbus. We want to reduce administration, vendor cost, and bring it out of a managed services concept, where no one can directly enter the data into Moogsoft and get the output.

I was not involved in the installation, but from what I understood from my implementers and my support team, it is easier than Netcool/OMNIbus to implement.

I was not involved with the pricing.

I have been evaluating Loom and Moogsoft to see what the difference is between these two tools and whether you can consolidate them into one tool. It's been a long journey. Many things have changed, and it's been quite interesting to go through every phase of the technology that I have learned.

We are also evaluating Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus and possibly moving to AIOps.

What other advice do I have?

Dreemzrock Ventures is my startup company. Basically, we deal with developing mobile applications, and one of our products is a social media platform. We have approximately 18,000 users.

Dreemzrock is the place where we keep looking at new technologies and try to bring revenue from different areas, and we are also trying to enter the IT operations managed services space as well.

I would rate Moogsoft an eight out of ten.

IT Infrastructure Monitoring
    March 2023
    688,618 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Automation Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Reasonably priced, stable, scalable and feature-rich
    • "The Event Management feature is quite valuable."
    • "They should consider including Chatbot."

What is our primary use case?

Moogsoft is primarily used by our clients for event management.

What is most valuable?

The integration with Event Management works quite well.

The Event Management feature is quite valuable.

We use a variety of features, such as event correlation, noise impression, auto ticket incident, and AIOps-based discovery.

What needs improvement?

As a SaaS-based solution, Moogsoft is not mature.

Customers have expressed a strong desire for improved integration. It's fine if the API is available and the AVI is exposed.

They need to add more capabilities to monitoring, event management, reporting, and event correlation, for example, for an end-to-end solution, and a unified dashboard would be beneficial.

They should consider including Chatbot.

If Moogsoft can provide the chatbot as a built-in feature, it will be a complete package for cognitive services to vendor cost automation. Alternatively, they could allow us to integrate with a third-party chatbot, which would be beneficial.

I have been working with Moogsoft for more than three years.

Moogsoft is a stable solution.

It's a scalable product.

Our customers own Enterprise companies.

I have not contacted technical support because, as consultants, we are not hands-on, and haven't had any reason to contact them.

We work with several solutions mainly regarding the capabilities. For example, AlgoSec, as well as NetPrem are used more for security purposes, and for IT, related projects we use Moogsoft, BigPanda, and Service Titan.

We are in consulting and not involved with the implementation.

The price is reasonable.

When compared to other solutions, it is quite good.

What other advice do I have?

I am a consultant specializing in intelligence solutions such as AIOps, and AIOps using, Cognitive, and NLP machine learning.

From a capability standpoint, the solution is good if it fits in your environment and has integration. Otherwise, some configuration is required.

We provide a high level of recommendation to our customers.

Moogsoft is a good tool to use.

I would rate  Moogsoft an eight out of ten.

Anand-Kulkarni - PeerSpot reviewer
    Electrical Engineer at Tata Consultancy
    Great event management and observability platform
    • "Moogsoft's most valuable features are event management, correlation, and observability."
    • "Moogsoft is dependent on external products to do orchestration and SOP-based functionality."

What is our primary use case?

Moogsoft is mainly used for internal network and storage monitoring, event and alert management, and as an observability platform.

What needs improvement?

I've been using Moogsoft for three-and-a-half years.

Moogsoft is stable.

Moogsoft is scalable.

Moogsoft's technical support is good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would give Moogsoft a rating of eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Download our free IT Infrastructure Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about Moogsoft, BigPanda, Datadog, and more!
    Updated: March 2023