N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management is the #4 ranked solution in top Remote Monitoring and Management Software. PeerSpot users give N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management is most commonly compared to SolarWinds NPM: N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management vs SolarWinds NPM. N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 46% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management Buyer's Guide

Download the N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management?

RMM software designed for next-level protection

Defend Windows and Apple devices with flexible, real-time remote monitoring and management, and a simple dashboard highlighting critical information during operational peaks.

Patch Microsoft and more

Keep devices compliant and secure with flexible patch management that easily allows MSPs to patch every aspect of the MSFT Environment and beyond.

N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management was previously known as N-able Remote Monitoring & Management, SolarWinds MSP Remote Monitoring & Management, MSP RMM, SolarWinds RMM, SolarWinds Remote Monitoring and Management.

N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management Customers

NetSys Network Systems

N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management pricing:
  • "As I'm not part of the procurement team and because I'm 100% technical, I'm not that familiar with the costs associated with N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, but I can say that in my location, particularly here in Sri Lanka, it's more expensive than other RMM solutions. I'm working for an Australian IT MSP, and over there, the solution isn't as expensive, but where I'm located, it is, so this is the reason why sometimes, clients don't go with N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. Licensing cost is also the reason why my organization is looking into Kaseya RMM. My current organization merged with another organization that's using both Kaseya RMM and Connectwise."
  • "I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to that since I set it up. It has per-user licensing. If I remember it correctly, it worked out to about $10 a month per user. There were no additional costs. It was pretty straightforward and simple."
  • "We use SolarWinds RMM on a pay-as-you-go monthly basis, so the cost can be highly variable because it depends on a few factors such as how many devices you need to support and what extra features you want to use. The more devices you have, the more you'll pay, and the same goes for extras."
  • "There is a license required for this solution."
  • "Out clients pay monthly for the license of N-able Remote Monitoring & Management."
  • N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management Reviews

Rajitha Abhisheka - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Systems Engineer at Virtual IT Group - Australia
    User-friendly and allows you to do different activities on a single interface, and gives you visibility into multiple devices, but its reporting interface and report generation could be improved
    • "I find all features of N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management valuable, but the most valuable is its monitoring feature. The solution has great monitoring functionalities. For example, you can monitor a device in terms of its RAM, CPU, etc. You can also monitor the connectivity through N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, and you can also check whether a device is down or up through the solution. I also like that you can monitor Windows servers, Linux servers, printers, network devices, and virtualization servers such as VMware and Hyper-V using N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. You can also monitor disk utilization, HTTPS, whether an SSL certificate is valid or expired, etc., through the solution. Apart from monitoring, I also find patch management as one of the most valuable features of N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. You can use it for Windows updates, as a patch management example. You can even manage and monitor servers and backup services via N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, so whenever there's a backup failure or issue, you'll receive alerts from the solution, as long as it's configured as a Windows service, so you can even do a lot of preventive maintenance activities with the help of N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. The solution is one of the best RMM solutions I've used so far. It's user-friendly, and it's pretty easy to use because you only need one interface where you can do a lot of activities. As a technician, I'm always concerned with time because if I have to troubleshoot an issue or a major incident, if I have to jump into two or three systems and open a few tabs on those systems, it'll be very hectic, especially if I have to switch between each step to see what's going on. In N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, it's pretty easy to do because I have one interface and one tab where I can do a lot of processes and activities."
    • "What could be improved in N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management is the reporting, in particular, the reporting interface and the report generation method. Currently, I don't find it easy to run reports on the solution. Every time, if I want a report on a Windows vulnerability because a client requested that report, I find the process difficult. For example, out of one hundred PCs, I need to get a report on how many PCs have not been updated to a specific patch level. I need to give that report to the CTO or CEO of a particular client organization, and as running the report on N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management isn't easy, sometimes, that makes me doubt the validity of the generated report as well. It depends on each case because I do find some reports to be genuine and 100% correct, but most of the time, I have to ask for help from other engineers, and even collaborating with another engineer to run reports isn't that easy, so reporting needs improvement in N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. Another room for improvement in the solution is patch management. The user-friendliness of the Take Control feature in N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management also needs improvement, particularly when it's used on multiple computers or displays. Switching between displays isn't as user-friendly on the technician side, so that could be improved by letting you see all displays or monitors all at once, or on a single display, rather than needing to switch from one display to another. As Take Control is on a Windows agent, or running on a client-end device, that feature of N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management could be improved as well. An additional feature I'd like to see in the next release of the solution is a mobile application, though I'm not familiar if that's already available. As an IT MSP, sometimes I have on-call jobs, and I don't always want to look at the mailbox to see if there's any alert triggered from the devices. If N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management has a mobile application that would allow my team to get push notifications whenever there's downtime or issues, then that would make the solution more reliable. I'd like to get an alert that would pop up from my mobile device, so it would be pretty easy to keep an eye on alerts, and I won't have to check my inbox every time."

What is our primary use case?

I'm working for an IT MSP, so I have clients for whom I've deployed the N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management probe to monitor client infrastructures, such as servers, switches, firewalls, routers, and all of the internet connections. Apart from that, I'm also using N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management for remote connectivity into the client PCs and servers through the Take Control option, so basically, the solution is for remote monitoring and management.

What is most valuable?

I find all features of N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management valuable, but the most valuable is its monitoring feature. The solution has great monitoring functionalities. For example, you can monitor a device in terms of its RAM, CPU, etc. You can also monitor the connectivity through N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, and you can also check whether a device is down or up through the solution.

I also like that you can monitor Windows servers, Linux servers, printers, network devices, and virtualization servers such as VMware and Hyper-V using N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. You can also monitor disk utilization, HTTPS, whether an SSL certificate is valid or expired, etc., through the solution.

Apart from monitoring, I also find patch management as one of the most valuable features of N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. You can use it for Windows updates, as a patch management example.

You can even manage and monitor servers and backup services via N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, so whenever there's a backup failure or issue, you'll receive alerts from the solution, as long as it's configured as a Windows service, so you can even do a lot of preventive maintenance activities with the help of N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management.

The solution is one of the best RMM solutions I've used so far. It's user-friendly, and it's pretty easy to use because you only need one interface where you can do a lot of activities. As a technician, I'm always concerned with time because if I have to troubleshoot an issue or a major incident, if I have to jump into two or three systems and open a few tabs on those systems, it'll be very hectic, especially if I have to switch between each step to see what's going on. In N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, it's pretty easy to do because I have one interface and one tab where I can do a lot of processes and activities.

What needs improvement?

What could be improved in N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management is the reporting, in particular, the reporting interface and the report generation method. Currently, I don't find it easy to run reports on the solution. Every time, if I want a report on a Windows vulnerability because a client requested that report, I find the process difficult. For example, out of one hundred PCs, I need to get a report on how many PCs have not been updated to a specific patch level. I need to give that report to the CTO or CEO of a particular client organization, and as running the report on N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management isn't easy, sometimes, that makes me doubt the validity of the generated report as well. It depends on each case because I do find some reports to be genuine and 100% correct, but most of the time, I have to ask for help from other engineers, and even collaborating with another engineer to run reports isn't that easy, so reporting needs improvement in N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management.

Another room for improvement in the solution is patch management.

The user-friendliness of the Take Control feature in N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management also needs improvement, particularly when it's used on multiple computers or displays. Switching between displays isn't as user-friendly on the technician side, so that could be improved by letting you see all displays or monitors all at once, or on a single display, rather than needing to switch from one display to another.

As Take Control is on a Windows agent, or running on a client-end device, that feature of N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management could be improved as well.

An additional feature I'd like to see in the next release of the solution is a mobile application, though I'm not familiar if that's already available. As an IT MSP, sometimes I have on-call jobs, and I don't always want to look at the mailbox to see if there's any alert triggered from the devices. If N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management has a mobile application that would allow my team to get push notifications whenever there's downtime or issues, then that would make the solution more reliable. I'd like to get an alert that would pop up from my mobile device, so it would be pretty easy to keep an eye on alerts, and I won't have to check my inbox every time.

In my current workplace, I've used N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management for almost two years, but overall, my experience with it is more than three years.

N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management is a stable solution.

N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management is a scalable solution and it's pretty easy to scale, but that would still depend on your license count. My organization has Essential and Professional licenses, so my team uses those two licenses based on requirements. Whatever device my team needs to deeply monitor, the Take Control feature will be used on that device, and it's the Professional license that's applied to it. For other devices, the Essential license is used. Day by day, when onboarding new customers, I add those customers to N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, so I can say that it's scalable.

I've never reached out to the N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management technical support team.

I've used a lot of RMM platforms in my career such as Kaseya RMM, Datto RMM, and ManageEngine RMM, but my favorite is N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. It's the number one RMM solution for me because it has a lot of features. It has a lot of management tools that you can access on a single interface. If I log into N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, I can go to any device by browsing through my list of customers, selecting a customer name, then from there, I can go to all of that customer's devices, servers, workstations, ESXI host, etc. Apart from that, I can manage an activity through the N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management environment in case a user account is locked, so I don't have to jump into the Active Directory server every time, nor do I need to go to the domain controller, just so I can unlock or reset the password. N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management is especially helpful if you want to take action without user interaction or without making any disturbance to the client during business hours. There are a lot of options that you can run silently through the solution, such as running scripts, doing activities on the command prompt, etc.

N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management has already been configured when I joined the organization, but I onboard new customers on it, and it isn't as complicated. It's pretty simple, but that usually depends on the customer. For example, if I'm onboarding a customer with fifty end users and fifty laptops, and there isn't any server, only firewalls and switches, I don't deploy a probe in that client environment.

What I do is monitor the network, peripherals, and network equipment through the N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management within my organization. I also monitor the rest of the user PCs, and fifty laptops, then I install the N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management Windows agent into the laptops for monitoring and remote connectivity. It's pretty simple, but if I'm doing the deployment for a large organization that has one hundred servers, I have to install a probe, but there's an awesome network discovery feature in N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management so you can easily discover most of the devices and make your required arrangement. As long as you've opened all the ports and traffic between your firewall and other zones such as the DMZ, LAN, etc., then onboarding N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management for large organizations is much easier.

As I'm not part of the procurement team and because I'm 100% technical, I'm not that familiar with the costs associated with N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, but I can say that in my location, particularly here in Sri Lanka, it's more expensive than other RMM solutions. I'm working for an Australian IT MSP, and over there, the solution isn't as expensive, but where I'm located, it is, so this is the reason why sometimes, clients don't go with N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. Licensing cost is also the reason why my organization is looking into Kaseya RMM. My current organization merged with another organization that's using both Kaseya RMM and Connectwise.

What other advice do I have?

My company is a partner of N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management, but it isn't a reseller of the solution.

My advice to anyone looking into implementing N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management is that costs aside if you're looking for a better monitoring platform, and if you want better service for your clients as an IT-managed service provider, then go with N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. I have NOC clients who 100% rely on N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. My NOC clients don't have any other network monitoring tool. My clients always depend on this solution because the alerts triggered by N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management are what they trust and want to look into. So far, my team has never come across any major incident happening because of false negative alerts. This solution always does a very good job. You'll see many other RMM platforms in the market, but if you want to rely on only one platform that allows you to do or take care of many activities, then N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management is the one for you. You can give service assurance to your customers in terms of doing a better job with protecting and monitoring devices, with no downtime, as well as streamline IT processes and infrastructure through N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management.

I'm rating the solution as ten out of ten. I'm giving it a perfect score because it's able to meet all requirements, such as disk monitoring, Windows services monitoring, etc. As an IT MSP, my organization has some requirements that the solution can meet. For example, if there's a Cisco switch, and I need to monitor all twenty-four ports and cooling fans, including any other requirements, I can fulfill all on N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management. The solution is okay, 100%, and my organization has no regrets about it so far.

IT Director at Dondlinger Construction
    Provides real-time visibility into what's happening on a device and allows us to remotely connect to a device
    • "I like being able to get a picture of what's happening on a computer. I can just click on it, and I can see the CPU usage and the memory usage and what services and programs are currently running. I can connect remotely to a computer. All these are very useful."
    • "We haven't had it for very long, and we're finally getting comfortable with it. The biggest improvement probably would be a little more clarification. It has few exclamation points or attention-getters when there is a computer that doesn't have the up-to-date patches, etc. However, it's not specific in terms of what you need to do. Sometimes, it says it requires a reboot, and you reboot it, but the same message still shows up. Sometimes, the messages that it gives you about how to resolve an issue are not very easy to understand."

What is our primary use case?

We use two or three different SolarWinds products. We have SolarWinds Backup, and we have RMM.

We use it for device monitoring and patch management. We have also integrated it with our EDR. I access it and use it for watching my devices and seeing what's running. We also do some patch management through SolarWinds. SolarWinds has a remote control, so I can connect to a computer.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides quite a bit of real-time visibility. I can go in and see in real-time the processor use and memory use. It displays a list of the processes running currently and the installed software. It also gives me warranty information. So, I know when things are reaching the end of life.

We have also integrated it with our EDR software, so we can look at it on a summary page. We can look at the things that are being blocked. If somebody is trying to access a website or something that is being blocked, we can go and see exactly what's going on there. We also have some configurations that interact with the computers. In the EDR software, we can set some of the things or turn some of the things off.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We haven't had it for very long, and we're finally getting comfortable with it. The biggest improvement probably would be a little more clarification. It has few exclamation points or attention-getters when there is a computer that doesn't have the up-to-date patches, etc. However, it's not specific in terms of what you need to do. Sometimes, it says it requires a reboot, and you reboot it, but the same message still shows up. Sometimes, the messages that it gives you about how to resolve an issue are not very easy to understand.

We have been using their backup solution for about three years. We have been using their RMM solution for about four months.

Its stability is good. We haven't had any issues so far with it not being able to get connected. The biggest concern with a cloud solution is if anything happens to the connection, but we haven't had that issue come up.

It is very scalable. It is being used extensively in our company. It is on all of our devices. The agent runs on all of our servers and all of our computers.

In terms of increasing its usage, we use it as a management and ability tool. There are a couple of us who are interacting with it for accessing the website, connecting, and seeing how things are running. It is restricted to our department because our end-users have no need to go out and look at that information. The information that it is providing is restricted to our department. We have a small three-person IT department, and we're the only ones who really need that type of access. Our users don't have a need to go connect to somebody else's computer to see what's running there or anything like that. So, unless our department grows, I can't see its usage increasing in terms of interacting with the product, but I don't see our department getting much bigger. We might have one or two more people at some point in the future, but it is not going to change a whole lot.

I originally used Spiceworks for some visibility, but there was no real-time visibility. If they were going to improve it, it would be something that can show you what's happening on a computer at the point in time you're looking at it.

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management connects and gives me a chart of the CPU usage and memory usage. It gives me configuration information about the CPU, memory, and everything that is installed on a computer.

It was easy. It is a cloud solution, so we just connected it to the network. It went out and started pulling information in. There were a few devices for which it didn't. It has got an agent it installs, and the agent didn't install automatically on some of the devices. So, we had to do a manual install on some of the devices. That was the only issue we had when we were setting it up.

We're a construction company, and a good number of our users work remotely. Their computers are not always connected to the network. They get on it, they do what they need to do, and then they get off. A part of the problem was that they were out on job sites doing construction work, and their computers weren't always connected. That's why the agents didn't get installed.

When we add new devices, we usually manually install the agent on a new device. This way, we don't have to wait for it to show up.

We have a systems management company that we work with. We purchased it through them, and they helped us set it up. It probably took a day.

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to that since I set it up. It has per-user licensing. If I remember it correctly, it worked out to about $10 a month per user.

There were no additional costs. It was pretty straightforward and simple.

What other advice do I have?

We didn't have any problems with it other than the issue with agent installation when you've remote users who aren't always connected or don't connect for an extended period of time. We have users whose work doesn't have much to do with running the computer. They use it only for payroll and emails. They log on for 10 minutes at a time, and sometimes, that interferes with patch management and other things. The biggest thing is to try to train your users so that they are logged in for about an hour or so periodically, maybe once a week. If you've got remote users, have them connect and stay connected for a while so that it can go out and do what it is supposed to do. We don't have any issues with our computers that are connected all the time.

I would rate it a nine out of 10 because of the access that it gives me to the information on a real-time basis.

N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management
    November 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Frank Ashley Simon - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Support Specialist at Cell C
    The script deployment features let us create whatever we want to deploy on our devices.
    • "The most helpful feature is script deployment because we can create whatever we want to deploy on our devices. This works in a cloud environment, where we previously relied on Active Directory. Since the start of the COVID outbreak, all the staff members began working from home, and most of the people there did not use the VPN to transfer the policies."
    • "The reporting could be more customizable. RMM pulls a vast amount of data, but you need to filter through it to get a decent executive report each month. I'm pulling reports all day through the XML file and such to get the information our executive needs. They don't want a 34-megabyte Excel spreadsheet, but the overview only provides limited information, like a basic breakdown."

What is our primary use case?

We use RMM for patch management and deploying scripts. We're doing a hybrid deployment because we've still got the regional office functioning at full capacity. About 65 to 70 percent of national staff is at the head office, and there are two regional offices respectively located in Cape Town and Durban. We've closed all four satellite offices. The company is looking to make this a permanent setup, where we will be working from home from now on.

The company is going through a restructuring, and we're about 80 percent finished with this project so far, but we've completed the RMM  rollout. We had to eliminate some stuff from Microsoft regarding the the Active Directory environment. The ultimate goal is to move away from Active Directory. Active Directory will be phased out and everything will be going through N-Central.

How has it helped my organization?

RMM has helped us transition to a work-from-home environment. Our ultimate aim is to close more corporate offices. We have closed four offices and this policy benefited the staff and HR department. RMM gives us full control of security and patch management for those remote systems.

Patch management is the most significant factor for all infrastructure security at present. It gives us insight into the laptops or devices outside the corporate environment, so we can ensure everything's up to date. We started off deploying the patch management environment system at the store level. Still, we have since incorporated more PowerShell scripting, etc., to better manage the devices in ways Microsoft cannot.

What is most valuable?

The most helpful feature is script deployment because we can create whatever we want to deploy on our devices. This works in a cloud environment, where we previously relied on Active Directory. Since the start of the COVID outbreak, all the staff members began working from home, and most of the people there did not use the VPN to transfer the policies.

Initially, we were using RMM in our retail environment at 120-plus stores here in South Africa. RMM was a tool to use at those stores for patch management and other things. Once the outbreak began, we started using it for our corporate devices. That was an additional 700 or so devices. It worked like a charm.

The employees in our corporate environment weren't connected to the VPN. There was no cloud-based solution for them from Microsoft regarding patch management and the way they could connect to work sites by using VPN.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be more customizable. RMM pulls a vast amount of data, but you need to filter through it to get a decent executive report each month. I'm pulling reports all day through the XML file and such to get the information our executive needs. They don't want a 34-megabyte Excel spreadsheet, but the overview only provides limited information, like a basic breakdown.

For example, if I'm looking at the overview, it would be nice to see the number of systems running Windows and the version or how the number of devices reporting correctly on a patch management level. I'd like to see a simpler interface and a more versatile reporting structure. We are looking at moving up to N-central now. I'm working with N-able to set up a demo because I see N-central's reporting has a better structure.

I have been using RMM for under four years now.

We haven't had any issues with the application. It's all cloud-based, so we've got a portal interface, and we haven't had any major downtime in the past four years. I know there is regularly scheduled maintenance on the portal, but it hasn't impacted us.

RMM is scalable. You can do what you please with RMM. It has limitless capacity. We've been deploying third-party applications via RMM  to PowerShell scripting and then to an onsite cloud server where the executable files will be stored and deployed.

That's just an example. We've successfully rolled out BitLocker and others via RMM. You can create whatever you want if you have good PowerShell scripting running.

I've logged some calls about issues. I never had any delays getting anything resolved. I've been happy with the service delivery.

Setup and deployment are quite straightforward. There's nothing unusual about it. Sometimes, there's a slow connection on the device, so the agent takes a while to pull all the services in, but we can typically complete the deployment in 10 to 15 minutes.

I'm not in charge of the licensing, but I believe RMM's pricing structure is reasonable compared to competitors or the typical Microsoft environment. Their whole idea is to move away from Microsoft because now everything is moving to the cloud. Microsoft has Azure cloud-based solutions, but you can't compare them to what RMM does for the same amount. We are getting value for the money in that regard.

We've been using it for four years, and that's it, and the company is happy with the purchase. I haven't ever been questioned by senior executives regarding what we are paying for. They see the product working successfully.

Last week, I requested a demo environment to test N-central because they give you a 30-day demo. I need to see the features there. I'm interested in the upper creation control policies. Currently, we have an environment where some devices have full admin privileges and all laptops have local admin rights. I don't know why, but that was a policy when I joined the company.

We've got staff installing software that is not licensed to us as a company. That's breaching licenses and opening the systems to malware and third-party applications. The reporting structure is also much better. N-central has a bit more functionality that I like, helping us to move away from the Active Directory environment and get fully integrated into the N-able environment.

What other advice do I have?

I rate N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring and Management nine out of 10. I seldom give a 10 out of 10 to any product, but a nine is quite high by our standards.

I would recommend RMM depending on your environment and use case. In the beginning, RMM initially was a perfect fit for us because we had no direct WAN connections with our retail stores. They were all independent LAN networks, and this was the ideal patching solution. Some of our stores were in an urban area where corporate VPN connectivity was limited.

Service Manager at Baker Computers Ltd
    Reseller
    Makes remote access and remote support much easier and lets us know about a problem before our customers realize it
    • "Remote support has been very handy. It also lets us know if there are failing hard drives or Windows issues."
    • "The alerts and reporting could be done a little more clearly. They are quite cryptic, and quite often, we seem to get a lot of reports just for a computer rebooting or going offline for a couple of minutes, which doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal. Reporting could be refined and improved, and they can make it easy to decipher the reports."

What is our primary use case?

We offer a service to our customers where we monitor their computers and let them know if there are problems before they realize there are problems. We can offer patch management if they want. Although, not a lot of our customers actually want that.

We're using its latest version. It is installed on each PC, and if our customers also want the antivirus solution, we can install the antivirus as well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made remote access and remote support much easier for us and our clients. We have a lot of older clients, and it was getting to be a challenge to even get them to download a client and fire up a client for something like Techinline or any of the other services. With this one, basically, all we have to do is initiate it from our end. There is already an agent on their computer. If our clients need remote support, it makes it easy for us to get remote access to their computers. It just pops up on their screen asking if it's okay for us to connect, and then we can get onto their computer and provide remote software support.

It has also been letting us know of several potential hard drive failures before the customer became aware of the issue. This feature has come in handy for several of our customers, and it has made it a lot easier to clone the hard drive and get them up and running quickly. Our customers don't have to do a full re-install if their Windows crashes and start from scratch.

What is most valuable?

Remote support has been very handy. It also lets us know if there are failing hard drives or Windows issues.

We also get reports from the antivirus scans, which has been very helpful for us and the customers.

What needs improvement?

The alerts and reporting could be done a little more clearly. They are quite cryptic, and quite often, we seem to get a lot of reports just for a computer rebooting or going offline for a couple of minutes, which doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal. Reporting could be refined and improved, and they can make it easy to decipher the reports.

We've been using it for a couple of years.

It seems to be very stable.

Its scalability has been excellent. We've had to increase our client size several times, and it hasn't been much of an issue at all.

It is being used extensively. If we get more clients who are interested, we're certainly going to increase its usage. We're offering it and pushing it as a solution for our clients at the moment. I haven't heard a count lately, but I'm sure we're well over 300 people on the service for us, which is good for us. We are in a small town. We're not in a large city or area. So, we don't have a huge client base, but based on what we do have, we're doing pretty good.

I haven't interacted with them myself, but the gentleman who does the management of it has talked to them several times. They've been very good.

We were using another one initially. I can't think of the name of it. We switched because N-able was better priced, and it offered more features. The initial one that we had didn't offer an antivirus component, whereas N-able offered the antivirus component.

I was not involved in the initial setup of that, but it was pretty straightforward. It took hours or days and certainly not weeks. After we've got it running at our end, the setup of the client was very easy.

It was implemented in-house. Currently, six people in our business are running it to look after the clients. We have one guy who handles most of the reporting and support. If it gets into an issue that's beyond his capabilities, he usually passes it off to one of us. So, one person is for management, and the rest of us are for support.

What other advice do I have?

It is a pretty good all-around solution, especially for a small business like us who need to look after a limited number of clients. It fits us very well.

We're running it on our own server at the moment. They probably weren't offering the cloud service when we started, but they're now also offering a cloud solution. If someone new is setting it up, they should find out what's best for their situation and whether they want to run their own server or take advantage of cloud service. Of course, there are extra costs for the cloud service, but there are costs for running your own server as well. For someone new, it would be very important to look at which way you want to go in terms of running your own server or using their cloud service.

I would rate N-able Remote Monitoring & Management a nine out of ten. It comes back to reporting. I'd like to see its reporting improved a little bit to get it up to ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Re-Seller
    IT Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Lets us keep an eye on client infrastructure at all times in one central portal
    • "I'm really happy with the background remote access, which allows me to easily change system internals such as registry keys and silently execute commands using the command prompt in the background. This kind of remote access makes it easy for us to do our jobs without getting in the customer's way."
    • "There is quite a bit of delay on the portal where we receive monitoring information from the endpoint agent on the remote device. Sometimes it gets stuck with no live response from the device, and you have to refresh the portal just to make sure that it's projecting the right information."

What is our primary use case?

My main use case for SolarWinds RMM is monitoring my customers' infrastructure and devices. I use it primarily as a patch manager, but it also finds use in many recurring IT jobs that we undertake for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

SolarWinds RMM has really eased the way in which we remotely manage client infrastructure. It's got a very comprehensive suite of features for remote access and monitoring, so we can keep an eye on everything in one central place and not have to use several different solutions at the same time.

What is most valuable?

I'm really happy with the background remote access, which allows me to easily change system internals such as registry keys and silently execute commands using the command prompt in the background. This kind of remote access makes it easy for us to do our jobs without getting in the customer's way.

Compared to other remote access solutions that we tried, like Splashtop, SolarWinds gave us more complete functionality and flexibility.

What needs improvement?

Reliable live monitoring of remote devices is important to me, so I think it needs more improvement with regard to the communication between the agent and the portal.

I have used SolarWinds MSP Remote Monitoring & Management for at least two years now.

At first we had a few problems with the network discovery interface not showing us all the details that we were looking for. I think it was related to a bug on the specific version that we were using, which was fixed in a later version.

We've also come across some web browser issues when accessing the online SolarWinds portal. In particular, we have sometimes run into trouble when creating new portal users. This was mostly related to plugin or extension compatibility issues, if I recall correctly.

Besides that, everything runs smoothly and the software operates as intended.

The tech support was okay. When I encountered any problems, I sent a support request via email and I typically got a response within 24 to 48 hours, depending on the problem.

The actual follow-ups are decent, and we've always been given the right information to solve whatever problem we have come across. I've seen better support, but I wouldn't say that it was lacking in any way.

Initial setup was quite easy. In terms of deployment, the great part is that you can set up one device and with that device's setup configuration, you can just do a full deployment on every other device in the environment. This aspect is a great time-saver and reduces the need to repeatedly call in the IT manager to configure each and every device separately.

In our case, we mostly only require one in-house team member to be responsible for managing and updating the SolarWinds RMM software itself. Otherwise, our company's primary job is to make sure everything is secure and running smoothly.

We use SolarWinds RMM on a pay-as-you-go monthly basis, so the cost can be highly variable because it depends on a few factors such as how many devices you need to support and what extra features you want to use. The more devices you have, the more you'll pay, and the same goes for extras.

I advise others to select only those features that you really need and to scale up the amount of supported devices as your business or client base grows.

We considered Ninja RMM, ConnectWise, and SolarWinds N-Central as alternatives but in the final analysis we chose SolarWinds RMM for cost-efficiency reasons and because it suited our purposes better.

For instance, N-Central was way too sophisticated for our needs, while ConnectWise's payment plan wasn't appropriate for our specific use cases.

What other advice do I have?

SolarWinds RMM is a comprehensive remote monitoring solution with a lot of different features for different scenarios, many of which may not be relevant to your company's operations. Most of these features will add extra costs to using the software, so make sure you select only what you will actually be using or you may have to pay an unnecessarily large bill.

I would rate SolarWinds RMM an eight out of ten.

Other
    President at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Great patch management tool with good integrated backup and scripting
    • "The integrated backup and the scripting are good."
    • "The SentinelOne integration is not great."

What is our primary use case?

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management is the main product we use for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The integrated backup and the scripting are good, and we use them the most. The patch management tool and the factor in the add-ons like Passportal are also good.

What needs improvement?

The SentinelOne integration is not great and can definitely be improved. We would like the ability to restore images to different locations or different outlets, and we can't do that currently.

We have been using this solution for approximately four years. We deploy it on cloud and use it as part of our MSP stack.

We have not had a problem with the stability of this product. However, Passportal has been unstable.

The solution is a little bit better regarding scalability, but when only a couple of people are using it. N-able RMM is a good tool. Currently, only the primary engineers in the organization use it, but we could scale it out to our entire staff if we needed to.

We have had a good experience with technical support and there are no problems.

We previously used LANSurveyor, but we started having issues with it. Nobody could help so we stopped using it.

The initial setup was easy. The onboarding process is pretty decent, and branding issues have been fixed. It works great once you get in it and run it.

The licensing costs depend on the agents, but the platform is $50 a month.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of ten. It is a good solution, but the SentinelOne integration can definitely be improved.

Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Functional administration panel, reliable, and effective monitoring

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used to monitor and manage networks remotely.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides an administration panel where we can see what is happening on our client's stations, such as events, alerts, and all the software installed.

What needs improvement?

The solutions could improve by adding more features.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution stability is good.

We did not have any issues with the scalability, the solution functions well.

Most of our customers are medium-sized companies and we have approximately 60 stations.

The support could improve.

The initial setup is easy. However, the complexity of the full installation can be quite high. There are a lot of areas to configure, it is necessary to have knowledge on several points of the software.

We have one person who does all the maintenance of the infrastructure.

Depending on your system configuration, it can provide a very good ROI because it has a tool for online backup that is necessary for this time we are living in with all the risks from hackers and threats.

There is a license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to understand what is happening on your network, this is a good tool.

I rate N-able Remote Monitoring Management an eight out of ten.

Manager/ Owner at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
    Feature rich, scalable, and useful automated deployment

What is our primary use case?

We are using N-able Remote Monitoring & Management to automate monitoring, maintenance, and it offers built-in remote support.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of N-able Remote Monitoring & Management is it provides an all-in solution for the different solutions.

What needs improvement?

The patch management of the solution could improve.

I have been using N-able Remote Monitoring & Management for approximately seven years.

N-able Remote Monitoring & Management is stable.

I have found N-able Remote Monitoring & Management to be scalable.

We have approximately 100 users using this solution.

The initial setup was not easy for N-able Remote Monitoring & Management. The deployment is fast depending on how many customers you are running on it. However, the process is automated.

For the implementation of N-able Remote Monitoring & Management, we used four administrators.

Out clients pay monthly for the license of N-able Remote Monitoring & Management.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate N-able Remote Monitoring & Management a nine out of ten.

Download our free N-able N-sight Remote Monitoring & Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022