IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Kaseya VSA OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Kaseya VSA is #2 ranked solution in top Remote Monitoring and Management Software and #5 ranked solution in top Patch Management tools. PeerSpot users give Kaseya VSA an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Kaseya VSA is most commonly compared to Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager: Kaseya VSA vs Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. Kaseya VSA is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Kaseya VSA Buyer's Guide

Download the Kaseya VSA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Kaseya VSA?

Kaseya is a provider of complete IT management solutions for Managed Service Providers and small to midsized businesses. Kaseya allows organizations to efficiently manage and secure IT in order to drive IT service and business success. Offered as both an industry-leading cloud solution and on-premise software, Kaseya solutions empower businesses to command all of IT centrally, manage remote and distributed environments with ease, and automate across IT management functions. Kaseya solutions currently manage over 10 million endpoints worldwide and are in use by customers in a wide variety of industries, including retail, manufacturing, healthcare, education, government, media, technology, finance, and more. Kaseya, headquartered in Dublin, Ireland is privately held with a presence in over 20 countries.

Kaseya VSA Customers

Sage UK, MSP, CodeBlue Ltd, Connect Work Place Solutions, All Covered, 501cTech, Chairo Christian School, Green Duck

Kaseya VSA Video

Kaseya VSA Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Kaseya VSA pricing:
  • "Without the managed antivirus, it was about $2,000 a month for the team. It's quite reasonable in that sense. The industry standard is anywhere from $0.90 to $1.10 per endpoint for antivirus, depending on how many you have, so it was fairly priced."
  • "With the on-prem, you buy the agent license. That's a one-time fee, and it varies depending on how many you have. You also pay annual maintenance on the number that you have. So, there are two fees involved: a one-time fee and a recurring fee."
  • "We were looking at a price of $22.50 cents per user."
  • "We pay a monthly fee, but it's a three-year contract divided by 36. They don't offer a true SaaS plan where you can add licenses monthly as you go. The cost is $7 per person per month, and we are paying about $1,700 a month."
  • "You're going to pay for this solution, but you're going to get so much more out of it in reporting, asset management, and the ability to manage your clients. I would recommend giving Kaseya serious consideration and I would recommend implementing it."
  • "It is not expensive. Anyone can afford it. Most of the time, we get a discount for licenses. We had about 5,000 agents, and we received a discount on the price. There is only the licensing cost. If you use the on-prem version, you also have the infrastructure cost."
  • Kaseya VSA Reviews

Ben Blissett - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal at Affinity Technology Group
    Broken from the beginning and never functioned as anticipated
    • "The solution was scalable."
    • "It never functioned as intended."

What is our primary use case?

The product was basically used for remote-in support and monitoring for the ~1,500 endpoints that we manage. The intent was to use the integrations to be able to deploy group policies and updates and push down antivirus updates such as Windows updates and things like that. Our intent was to leverage all of these so-called features that never functioned at all and ended up just putting us in a really bad position, left scrambling to find a functional replacement on the fly.

How has it helped my organization?

Kaseya VSA resulted in the loss of multiple clients and thousands of dollars throughout the endeavor. It also caused much additional undue stress with a third-party collector harassing us.

What is most valuable?

What we were able to marginally use it for was when a client would need assistance, desktop assistance, remote-in, we could do that (most of the time). And managing however many servers we manage was possible so long as we didn't dare connect to more than a couple endpoints at a time. That said, any RMM product should be able to handle these functions as remote-in connectivity is the fundamental purpose of RMM.

What needs improvement?

They had a major issue that resulted at one point (the straw that broke the camel's back for us, although we'd been fighting with support for months by that point in time) in which every Kaseya VSA customer was offline for two weeks. This vulnerability pushed us over the edge.

It never functioned as intended. If it functioned as it was supposed to, it would've been fantastic. However, the previous solution we used just performed reliably and so much better. I can't say that there was anything positive about my experience.

The intent of the software, other than integrations, is to be able to just make an anytime secure direct connection to an endpoint. However, whenever we would connect, at least half the time, it would not record keystrokes properly, no matter what system we connected from. So if you're trying to enter a password, there'd be 2-3 seconds' latency in the response and then it would just spew out a bunch of letters and numbers you didn't type in. You would just try, try, try again to type in something, and just half the time it worked, half the time it didn't. If you brought up more than three or four endpoints simultaneously, it never worked. It was a major point of contention for us.

For us, at least, it just didn't work. It just was broken. Scripting didn't fire, reports didn't come back, and monitoring wasn't there. A server goes down or a router goes offline, no notification. Stuff like that. Bush league.

Kaseya VSA
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Kaseya VSA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We used it for a little over a year before we were able to rid ourselves of it. Fourteen months is about as long as we were on it.

The stability was as poor as could be. I would honestly wager that 20% of the time at best I could sit down for an evening for scheduled maintenance/upgrades and actually get through it. 4 out of 5 times I ended up either not bothering at all and just driving to the client location or rescheduling. Very frustrating.

The solution was scalable. We could have as many endpoints as we wanted to include in the mess. The system, as it's sold, is designed for mass implementation. Supposedly they have customers managing 300,000 or 400,000 endpoints through one account. We're small change; I get that. The system, the way it looked, and all the features, I thought, could be amazing for a competitive price compared to what we were paying before (which was just a little bit more). It bragged about all these features that didn't actually function. As far as scalability, I would say it could go a long way (again, in theory).

We had six or seven staff/technicians plus maybe another ix or seven limited accounts for some of our power user clients. We have a couple of vendors that might need access to a couple of the containers. Probably we had 15 users in all.

We relied on it heavily. We've got multiple people working in RMM all day long during support hours. During the transition, there were hours and hours of support time, working directly with an engineering team. At some point, when it became obvious that they were going to be unable or unwilling to fix it, we started migrating in a different direction. For nine, maybe ten months, it was used very heavily.

With technical support, no resolution ever came about. We had one experience after the next having tickets marked as closed or completed when they were not satisfactorily closed or completed, and we'd have to reopen them. The support, however, was responsive. We just had an anomalous type of situation that they were unable to resolve. I'm an IT guy; I get that that can happen from time to time. Still, their unwillingness to just release us from their EULA and say, "Okay, you know what? We're sorry, we can't help you. We're going to give you a refund of a couple of months and leave you alone to move along and find another solution," instead of having to turn it into a complicated, harassing legal issue, that was my biggest problem. It was a very costly experience as far as support was concerned.

Negative

We used a previous RMM called NinjaRMM prior to that. With the promise of this new integration and all these features, we migrated to Kaseya VSA.

NinjaRMM was a little more basic; however, it did a lot of what we needed. It lacked some integration features, primarily with PowerShell scripting, which is why we made the choice to move anyway, and of course, we've moved on since then. It was a good experience for the most part. NinjaRMM we used for a couple of years and with good support when we needed it. Again, it was a very limited version of an RMM solution at the time. I understand it's evolved over the last few years. Still, in retrospect, I was very satisfied with it and our staff was very disappointed that we moved away from it.

The setup was pretty straightforward. We had a demonstration, a virtual machine that was set up for us, and we were given, 30 or maybe 45 days to play with it. It ran side by side with our, at the time, current RMM solution. We didn't get a real chance to push too many API integrations that the Kaseya VSA claimed it would make as that would have caused a conflict with what we were doing with our current RMM solution.

Everything we attempted to do at the time, and we ran into a couple of these issues, were explained by the engineer that we worked with (as well as the sales representative) as just issues we were facing due to it running in a demo. After we voiced our concerns, we were told once it's at a full, paid version, that those issues will be resolved. From a technical standpoint, they seemed to have just taken our demo container and migrated it into a live version and never actually resolved any issues we had with the demo. Definitely one of those classic situations where the sales team was amazing and then, once you signed on the dotted line, they were nowhere to be found.

We used the NinjaRMM platform to push the installation for the VSA. The setup was within a month, within 30 days. In that time, we were able to push it out to all of our endpoints.

Maintenance and updates were all managed by our support contract. They would schedule times. Generally, it was 3:00 AM or 10:00 PM, and notified us a couple of weeks in advance, unless it was a critical topic. We were just made aware of scheduled maintenance in advance.

We had a consultant help with the initial setup. It was a really good experience in that regard. When sales is present, they make sure everything's right. Once that's over, then you're on your own with support, if you can get any. That part of the process was perfectly fine. I had a lot of high hopes for it at the time.

In a nutshell, simply due to the fact that our after-hours maintenance and emergency service were so affected, we went from positioning ourselves to be able to do full-scale implementations from home-based offices at night to literally in the middle of the winter in Northern Michigan, having to drive two hours one way and stay there till 11:00, 12:00 at night to do the work because we were unable to do it from our offices as we had always been able to. Therefore, we did not see any ROI. Not good on the marriage having to be gone until after midnight for something I should be able to do from the home office and wrap things up by 9pm.

On top of it never working, losing clients in the process, they refused to stop billing me for a solution that never worked, and it ended up becoming a complicated legal/collections issue. They have a three-year "contract", if you will, through their EULA, and it took me a great deal of headache and wasting even more of my valuable time providing dozens and dozens of support ticket threads to a legal team to be able to prove that they were not upholding their end of the EULA. Even then, the harassment continued. Therefore, on top of just the constant loss of time and resources and energy and frustration, they continued to hound me on the phone about a past bill that I refused to pay. It was the worst company to work with, and I've been doing this for 25 years. It's the worst vendor relationship I've ever experienced in my professional career.

Without the managed antivirus, it was about $2,000 a month for the team. It was quite reasonable in that sense. The industry standard is anywhere from $0.90 to $1.10 per endpoint for antivirus, depending on how many you have, so it was competitively priced.

In terms of pricing, based on my experience, on a scale from one to five, I would rate it pretty poorly as it didn't work. If I'm assuming that it functioned as it was intended to function, then I would give it probably a four. As it stood, I'd rate it a one for what I was paying for, for what I was getting.

Some SolarWinds products looked really solid, but too expensive for what we were looking for. Kaseya VSA was cost-effective at the time of research, which was a big selling point.

What other advice do I have?

Mainly, I hope that somebody else gets a one-star review in front of them when they're making a decision so they don't have to go through the same mess that I did.

After being down for two weeks after a DDoS attack, and there were a lot of unhappy clients on our end. Due to this, maybe three or four customers decided to move away from us as we were unable to provide adequate support. Granted, they were customers we hadn't had for long and hadn't established long-term trust relationships with; however, we probably lost out on $25,000-$35,000 annually in contracts due to VSA's failure to perform.

I'd give it a two out of ten as their support always did endeavor to really help, even eventually escalating it all the way up to the chief engineer in England who, with his team and I, spent an hour on the phone with my demonstrating to him what was going on and his acknowledging and recognizing it. However, that's the only reason I wouldn't give it a one. It was a nightmarish year trying to get through it. It didn't help that it was in the middle of a pandemic.

Private Cloud

Other
    Team Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to use with great remote access and patching capabilities
    • "The ease of access and ease of use was great."
    • "The deployment process could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We would install Kaseya on customers' computers and provide tech support. We used it as a monitoring tool and remote access tool.

The main uses were for information gathering, management, software, and patching as well. My team would not be responsible for patching. That was another team that was at the engineering level. My team was responsible for going on the customer's computer and providing just regular tech support. That was done via Kaseya quite often.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has allowed the company to provide faster service. If you're, for example, using something like TeamViewer, which is a different type of software, versus Kaseya, if it's deployed on the computer, it will be very fast and easy to do the same things with Kaseya compared to TeamViewer. That means there is higher customer satisfaction. When we do our jobs faster and more efficiently, the customer is happier.

What is most valuable?

The ease of access and ease of use was great. When Kaseya is deployed on the customer's computer, we have access to the customer. We just need the computer's name or ID, or sometimes, if the user has the same name as their first name, we can find them that way.

I know it's customizable. Even with the customization we had, which was not that great, I, myself found multiple ways of how we could find people, based on system version, their computer specs, location, et cetera. That made finding people very easy.

The functionalities were helpful. I could check what type of computer the customer was using and if they had a warranty. It provided a lot of information out of the box and just pulled all the information from the computer itself. For tech support work that is very valuable. You don't have to go to the client and say "Can you find me a serial number somewhere on the computer" and have them messing around, looking for it. Instead, I just pull it from the system, as Kaseya finds it automatically.

There is automation that was used for a big product, however, you need to learn it. One of the people in the company actually finished the course. When I saw what he could do with it, it's way more than what I could do. You just need to learn it.

What needs improvement?

The deployment process could be better. There were some issues sometimes that were kind of random. For example, by sending a link to a customer, you would need to add the link manually, which is a bit strange, as it is customizable. You need to know which part of the link you need to edit and how you need to edit it. I don't know how much of this is Kaseya VSA itself and how much of it is our custom setup. Maybe Kaseya would say "No guys, you just did it wrong. That's not how you do it." However, based on what I saw, editing the link was a bit odd and I would prefer something more on the lines of just sending their general link and maybe an easier deployment.

There was some lag. For example, even if it's installed, it's not showing up and you need to wait for it to show up.

Sometimes there were connection issues. It was not exactly clear why it didn't connect even if the customer had internet that was working fine. I'd do a speed test, and it would show normal speeds. We would have our fast office internet and everything was working fine, yet it wasn't connecting right and we don't know why. We used it on literally thousands of machines and servers as well and it just would randomly happen.

It doesn't doesn't scale on smaller monitors properly. For example, if we moved from 17-inch screen laptops to 12-inch screens, it would not scale properly. There is a part that's called Live Connect, however, it wasn't actually a live connection. You connect to the customer's computer in the background and you have this user interface and the smaller monitors would look really bad. With some of the screens, you couldn't click a button or anything like that. While it was working fine on a normal big monitor, on smaller ones, it did not adjust which made things difficult. I don't know why, how they missed that. Maybe we used some kind of older version or something.

Kaseya is not really friendly with Mac OS. The deployment is even harder than deploying on Windows. You need to have a custom download. If a company runs a customer service desk and has a bunch of tier-one agents, they're not going to be able to do that. Right. They're going to be able to edit a link if you provide instructions, and that's about it.

I worked with the solution at my previous organization for about a year. I used it up until a month ago.

We sometimes had connectivity issues and I never spoke with a Kaseya representative that could explain that. We worked from Europe; the servers were probably in the US and the customers were in the US. Sometimes it would work quickly and then snappy and everything would be great. Other times it would be kind of slowish. I would say it would be way faster or way slower than a TeamViewer connection.

The solution is scalable. We had thousands of users.

We didn't have issues with scaling. When it was set up, it was designed so that, if a business joins, we join them on the server and they have their own ID there. We could install it on the computers. It connects that computer to the whole system. While it's hard for me to answer about scalability in a detailed way (I didn't work on that infrastructure part), my understanding was that it was decent at worst. It was pretty okay.

We used it daily. It was a core product for the servers. However, we were hacked, and for a few weeks, it was quite bad.

We had the in-house staff. I can't really say anything about technical support as the person we dealt with was just an expert that was hired by the company, working for the company, doing some other stuff as well.

We didn't really need to contact directly with Kaseya. When the hack happened, they were communicating well with us. Based on the opinions of that other person, that had finished the course with them, he was very happy about that and thought support was super professional.

In terms of deployment, technically one person is enough. For Macs, you just need to know how to do it and it's a very specific procedure. As far as I remember for each company, there is a separate download. With Windows, it's the same download, however, it needs to put the users in a specific catalog. You need to edit the link, essentially the same way you would for a website and you need to put specific lines in the link. For Macs, you have a different file that you need to know how to download, where to download it from and how to check if something is wrong. While one person is always enough in terms of handling the deployment, that person needs to know how to do it.

Deployment times vary from a few minutes to half an hour. Maybe a few hours. It depends. Most of the time I would say it's only a couple of minutes. However, when you really need to have it configured and you are first building the infrastructure, the whole thing, if you order a product and you want to start using it, I have no idea how long that process takes. That's definitely going to take longer.

We had five Kaseya Servers for thousands of computers, thousands of servers, et cetera. That would take a while. Right. If it's just a business of maybe 40 users, I would assume it is a way quicker process.

Kaseya itself would update regularly and then it usually would show up with a message such as "You have a patch to do. You need to install this patch." That's about it, in terms of maintenance. I'm not an engineer. I was more of a user. From a team lead side, I was managing people that used it daily to help customers. While there was definitely some normal updating in terms of handling the security patches, that was the only real maintenance task.

I can't speak to pricing. I was not involved at the decision-making level.

What other advice do I have?

My company was a customer of Kaseya.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Kaseya is more beneficial if you really have all of these machines and you need to manage your servers, you need to set up automatic patching for scripts to run or something like that.

Whether it would work for others depends on the business. For some, I would assume it's not going to be worth the price. If you just need a remote connection, you can just go to TeamViewer or something similar. If you need automatic patching, you want to have this access, instant access, background access to the user's computers, so that you can check what's happening, basically without the user knowing, it's very, very good for that. At the end of the day, it depends on the scale of the business and business needs.

Kaseya VSA
    July 2022
    621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Automation Team Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    MSP
    The most helpful solution for MSPs for supporting end-users and addressing environmental problems, but it needs better updates, patch management, and Mac support
    • "The most valuable piece of the puzzle for me is what they call Live Connect. It is the piece that allows you to support an end-user without having to take the keyboard and mouse."
    • "There should be more Mac support. Whenever a new Mac operating system comes out, the support is very limited. It takes them a while to get things up to date. We're seeing more and more people move to Mac from the Windows environment for various reasons, but their support for Mac is very limited. A lot of it might have to do with Mac itself, but there are ways to improve upon that. That would be my biggest thing for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for remote control, patch management, server monitoring, inventory, warranty, reporting, and automation. That's pretty much the gist of it, and there is a lot to that. Each one of these is very all-encompassing and very deeply rooted in the MSP world, and this is just the 30,000-foot view.

How has it helped my organization?

I come from a couple of MSPs, and it is the most heavily used piece. It allows us to support end-users and address alerts for problems within the environment. It is basically our eyes and ears into the environment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I've been a user of this tool for about 16 years, and I've seen it improve. One of the things that they need to improve upon is that when they roll out updates and patches to the system, they usually come with some bugs. Their QA needs to be a little bit better in terms of rolling out updates.

In terms of features, I really would love to see their patch management improve. They do have a newer patch management module that's in beta that I'm actually testing, and that needs to be their primary focus for the near future. That would be my biggest takeaway.

There should be more Mac support. Whenever a new Mac operating system comes out, the support is very limited. It takes them a while to get things up to date. We're seeing more and more people move to Mac from the Windows environment for various reasons, but their support for Mac is very limited. A lot of it might have to do with Mac itself, but there are ways to improve upon that. That would be my biggest thing for improvement.

Their security should also be improved. Kaseya had a very big vulnerability exploited out in the wild in July last year.

I've been using it for about 16 years.

I didn't have any issues specifically with the product itself. Based on what I've seen over the years, the issues are usually related to the infrastructure and the speed of the hardware. So, it wasn't the application itself; it was outside of the application.

Its performance over the years has got to an acceptable level. I don't have any complaints about its performance in 2021.

It is absolutely scalable. It will max out around 15,000 endpoints. The sweet spot is 13,000 endpoints. From my experience, you start seeing performance lags with 15,000 endpoints. Ideally, we'd like to see a Kaseya server handle about 50,000 endpoints. I don't know when that's coming or if it's coming, but 13,000 to 15,000 right now is the sweet spot.

We have several hundred users who use this solution.

I use their tech support often. If you open up a Severity 1 dire emergency ticket, they're very responsive. If you just open up a standard ticket, it usually will get fielded by somebody who will make the phone call and escalate it, and that bothers me. I wish that their tier ones were able to handle a little bit more of the basic problems, but they escalate it. It is almost like they're buying time. So, their support could get a little bit better, but if you're opening up a Severity 1 ticket, they're very responsive.

I have not used any other solution.

It is in the middle of the road or moderate. Some people who are not familiar with it might find it a little bit more complex.

If you're installing it on-prem, it is going to take at least a couple of days to put together the infrastructure and get the webserver and the SQL server going. Installing it on top of those would probably take another couple of hours. You can have something up and running with various people involved within a day. You just need a couple of people from different teams.

I take care of its maintenance. They usually put out a patch once a month. So, usually once a month, there is a downtime. A couple of years ago, they used to take five to seven hours. They're now down to about 30 minutes of actual downtime. So, the outage is not too terrible these days.

When we were without it for a short time in July when everything shut down, it was difficult to support our customers. We could do it, but something that used to take less than a minute was taking 5 to 10 minutes. It is probably the most helpful tool in any toolbox for the MSP world.

With the on-prem, you buy the agent license. That's a one-time fee, and it varies depending on how many you have. You also pay annual maintenance on the number that you have. So, there are two fees involved: a one-time fee and a recurring fee.

I don't know its price. I've priced out some other ones that were more expensive, but we may have been grandfathered in. Both companies that I was at were already users of the system, and we may have had different pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to leverage their professional services. We've used them while doing some migrations from one piece of hardware to another. They're very good. They're very thorough. They do take the additional time to sit down with you and lay the plan out.

It was early 2020 when we were migrating from an old piece of hardware to a new one, and we had to move the database and everything over. We engaged their professional services. They were very helpful, and it went very smoothly. I was really happy with the product plan.

I would rate it a seven out of 10.

Director Of IT / Purchasing Manager at Macomb/St. Clair Workforce Development Board
    Single portal management, cost-saving, with thorough technical support
    • "When compared to what we were previously using, one of the most appealing features is that it combines remote control, patch management, and software management into a single portal."
    • "The main difference would be the addition of audio transfer between the end-user and the remote connectivity software. That is the one critical piece that we are currently lacking."

What is our primary use case?

We actually use it for a few different purposes. We use it as remote control connectivity software, allowing us to troubleshoot and work with staff and customer computers on-site without having to travel to the locations. It is also used for patch management and software deployment. Instead of having to manually go out and do them on each computer, we run all of our Windows updates and Mac updates through Kaseya VSA.

What is most valuable?

We had two different portals to do that with our previous software. We had a remote control software portal first, followed by an endpoint management portal. We would have to log into two different applications to accomplish the same task that we can do with just one portal with VSA which was one of several reasons we chose to use Kaseya VSA.

Another major reason was with our previous version of patch management software that was primarily on-premises we were getting so much bloat on our hard drives from all the different patches being downloaded and saved that we were running out of space on those systems faster than we are on this cloud-based one.

What needs improvement?

One aspect we did lose when we moved from NetOp to VSA, is the ability to transfer sounds. In the past, if we connected to your machine and you were watching a video, we could hear exactly what was being played. Sound cannot be transferred using the cloud agent that they currently have. That is one area where we would like to see them improve.

The main difference would be the addition of audio transfer between the end-user and the remote connectivity software. That is the one critical piece that we are currently lacking.

The audio would be the only source of contention on that one.

We have been using Kaseya VSA since 2020.

So far, we haven't encountered any problems with it not working with anything. It's been extremely stable. Except for that one data breach, we haven't even experienced any downtime. Then we were offline for a week or a week and a half with that one.

With all of their features, I would say they are very scalable. If someone only wanted to do remote, they could use that portion of the system. We are probably only using about 35 to 40% of what we could be using with VSA. We just don't have what we need to take on the rest of it yet. They're missing some pieces, which prevents us from doing some of the work.

We have four administrators to monitor and approximately 170 staff, but this is installed on approximately 550 computers.

I would rate the technical support a five out of five.

They contacted me, did a screen share with me, and walked me through exactly where I needed to be. To make the change that I couldn't find myself.

Positive

Before VSA for the remote control aspect, we were using NetOp by Danware,  and for our software updates, we were using GFI LanGuard.

In terms of the initial setup, it's a bit of a mix. We had some help getting it set up. They assigned a team for us and walked us through our first deployment, getting everything set up. The complicated part was that there were a lot of menus at first, and some of the terminologies they used were a little different, and they're retiring some of them right now. For example, one of their areas is called Patch Management. A normal person would assume that's where I'm going to do all my patches. That is not the case. Patch Management was a legacy piece that they were trying to get rid of, it's all done under Software Management. There was a lot of stuff that this program can do at first, and being a newbie with it was a lot thrown at us right away.

We have completed the training since then and are now VSA certified. Since the training and certification, a lot more of it makes sense as to why things are the way they are.

They built the backend, which includes our cloud portal, in a very short period of time. In order for us to deploy them, we probably had them up and running within two or three business days.

Overall, we estimate that our return on investment was around $2,300 per year.

We do a yearly license with them.

The cost appears to be determined by the number of computers on which the endpoints are placed.

We were looking at a price of $22.50 cents per user. That works out to $11,250 per year.

It was cost-saving, with our NetOp and GFI. It actually resulted in a $2,300 cost savings.

What other advice do I have?

I understand that each case will be different. I would personally recommend VSA. There are many different pieces and modules that can be integrated into this. This would definitely be for a small to medium-sized or enterprise business, such as some of these home office businesses. I would not recommend this if there are less than ten computers in one location. There are probably cheaper items available for them that would serve them better. However, for an office with over a hundred users, multiple locations, and small IT tech teams, this has been an invaluable service for us to have.

I would rate Kaseya VSA a nine out of ten.

They do put a lot of things together. And they try to put everything on one portal, which is very convenient for the IT department because it allows them to see everything within the scope of one portal. I believe there is room for improvement in how they design their UI interface to make it more user-friendly. But, aside from that, everything has been great with them.

Private Cloud
    Dan Watson - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Infrastructure/System Administrator at CNH Industrial Reman
    The help desk feature lets our user create a ticket with one click, but support is slow and the UI should be more customizable
    • "VSA installs an agent on every computer that allows users to create a help desk ticket with one click. That's why I chose VSA. Many users never create tickets when they have a problem. Sometimes I won't know about an issue until they run into me and say, "Hey, this has been broken for two months.""
    • "The UI could be streamlined. The menu has 18 options, but we only use three. It has a lot of redundant stuff. Software management, software deployment, patch management, etc., all do the same thing, but they're different programs and licenses."

What is our primary use case?

We have nearly 400 computers at the company but no full-time support tech, so VSA is our hub for everything. It's a tool for remote management. We want it to do software management, pushing out applications, antivirus, etc. We use it to manage all that to make our life easier and automate as much as possible.

How has it helped my organization?

VSA installs an agent on every computer that allows users to create a help desk ticket with one click. That's why I chose VSA. Many users never create tickets when they have a problem. Sometimes I won't know about an issue until they run into me and say, "Hey, this has been broken for two months."

This solution enables them to click a button and send us a ticket instead of waiting to see us or putting up with a problem. The most significant benefit for us is that anybody can instantly and effortlessly create a help desk ticket.

What needs improvement?

The UI could be streamlined. The menu has 18 options, but we only use three. It has a lot of redundant stuff. Software management, software deployment, patch management, etc., all do the same thing, but they're different programs and licenses.

There are many ways to improve VSA's user interface. They should get rid of the junk we don't use. It would make it easier for my techs because they get lost in these menus. It would be helpful if I could customize the dashboard to turn redundant menu items off and move them out.

Onboarding could be smoother, too. When I join a new device to the network, VSA should see it on the network and install all the software it needs to update the computer. In an hour or two you should be ready to use that PC, but it doesn't do that.

There's a piece on our network that scans once an hour, so you need to wait for it to scan and deploy their agent. The software pushing just doesn't happen, either. Streamlining that deployment would save us a tons of time.

We've been using Kaseya VSA for about 17 months.

I give Kaseya VSA a C+ for stability. There's a gremlin there, and they know it. They've talked to me about it and know what it is, but they just haven't gotten it fixed.

It'll become unresponsive and get stuck on a page while the queues are running. It's SaaS, so I'm sharing the server with multiple clients, so if somebody overloads the queue, I end up waiting.

Kaseya's support has a lot of room for improvement. I have had some trouble with them. I've had a ticket open for two-and-a-half weeks, and I get a reply every couple of days. I finally got through and got them to schedule a call with me later today, so hopefully, we resolve it.

The support is good once you get in touch with them, but the wait times have been terrible. I try to be understanding about turnover, etc., but I rate them four out of 10 now.

Neutral

Setting up VSA is difficult. I'm still not done configuring it. We deployed early last year, and I felt like we were getting a pretty good handle on it, but they got hacked by the Russians. I lost all momentum, and everything that was working isn't working now. It's been a struggle ever since, so I would say I still don't have it fully deployed 17 months later.

After deploying Kaseya VSA, we were able to reduce our IT by one full-time engineer. A level 1 tech makes upwards of $50,000 at our company, which is significantly more than the $20,000 we pay for a license each year.

We pay a monthly fee, but it's a three-year contract divided by 36. They don't offer a true SaaS plan where you can add licenses monthly as you go. The cost is $7 per person per month, and we are paying about $1,700 a month.

I got to choose the solution and I went with Kaseya because of the help desk features. We also looked at SolarWinds N-able and Microsoft Intune. The biggest difference between it and other solutions is that Kaseya VSA has everything in one stack. If I went with a competing solution, I might need to buy one piece from one company and one piece from another.

Then I would need to figure out a way to get them all to talk. Kaseya includes the help desk, the VSA piece, and IT Glue. That was the selling point for me.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Kaseya VSA six out of 10.

Technology Consultant
    MSP
    Outstanding remote support and allows rapid deployment with excellent probe functionality and competitive pricing
    • "The patch management and the remote support are very good, especially the remote support. There is a module built into the solution which allows remote control without necessarily interrupting the user. We could manage things in the background without them seeing or interacting with anything, which is a very useful feature."
    • "The response to bugs is slow and software improvement comes slowly too. The lack of response to our feature requests made it feel like they were going into a black hole. Additionally, when we encountered bugs or issues with the VSA, they were slow to respond to those too."

What is our primary use case?

Our top uses are remote support, asset and inventory management, and patch management.

What is most valuable?

The patch management and the remote support are very good, especially the remote support. There is a module built into the solution which allows remote control without necessarily interrupting the user. We could manage things in the background without them seeing or interacting with anything, which is a very useful feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution could also use better management and functionality for file transfers. Now when you want to do file transfers, you can simply copy a file and paste it over. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. I like to have a file transfer window because I can see the data tree on both machines, mine and the remote. This is an industry standard and I would like them to bring this feature back. I understand they were trying to make things easier but sacrificing this functionality isn't the way to go about it.

We have been using this solution for the past 12 months.

The stability is good, there was one occasion where the site was down and we couldn't do anything, but overall I have no complaints about that.

The scalability of the solution is good, it allows for rapid deployment of under an hour, whether for a smaller or larger number of workstations. We package in antivirus along with the remote control aspect, which allows very fast onboarding of clients at a basic level.
    The probe functionality allows us to leave the probe on the domain controller and anybody connecting to the network would have Kaseya deployed to their workstation, and we receive an alert of the new addition. This is excellent for management and deployment.

Regarding our internal use of the solution, we had about 35 people using it.

Customer support has been quite responsive. By phone I recall getting in contact with support within a few minutes, and opening a chat session was even faster, so I would use that option more than anything else.

Positive

We primarily used LogMeIn before switching to Kaseya. The problem with LogMeIn is that although they provided remote control support and to some extent asset management, there was no robust reporting to give us the data we needed. This made us feel like we were being overcharged for the product. That being said, Kaseya is not cheap either, but we are getting a lot more for our money. That was the reason why we left a competitor and came to Kaseya.

The initial setup was a mix. Some visually poor UI elements complicated the process, while remote control of assets was straightforward.

The deployment was very quick thanks to the incredible probe functionality. We would install a probe on the domain controller and assets would be checking in within minutes.

I consider Pulseway a viable alternative, but it's a bit too expensive. They don't have a probe functionality either, even though it has been frequently requested on their website.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

We use the solution internally, deployed to our own workstations as well as with our customers. There would be times while working on something where I would encounter an issue, and a network engineer could remote to my system to help get a solution quicker. We also use the solution for our own inventory management.
    I would recommend Kaseya to any MSP, because their product is a little ahead of the innovation curve compared to the competitors.
    The ability to quickly onboard clients is phenomenal. I feel that compared to its competitors, the solution is not as complicated. You log into the portal, create an organization depending on the client, create an installer, throw it on the domain controller and let the software work for you.

Darshana Dissanayake - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Consultant - Security Operations Center (CISO) at USEZER
    Makes it easy to manage devices, has a lot of useful features, and is inexpensive
    • "I like the Live Connect module provided by Kaseya. It is a powerful module. I also like the Agent Procedure module. We work with it most of the time."
    • "Our main concern is related to security. Kaseya had a ransomware attack a few months ago, and it was a big concern for us because Kaseya was the main RMM tool that we were using. We faced a lot of difficulties accessing our users and systems. So, security is our main concern."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the time, it is used for remote desktop, but we also use it for running scripts, patching services, and auditing purposes.

Currently, I am working with the SaaS version, but previously, I have worked with the on-prem version.

How has it helped my organization?

We can easily deploy agents to a bulk of devices, and we are able to manage devices remotely. We can easily get the required information. For example, if we want to get the serial number of a server, we can get that data with two or three clicks. This is the biggest benefit.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Our main concern is related to security. Kaseya had a ransomware attack a few months ago, and it was a big concern for us because Kaseya was the main RMM tool that we were using. We faced a lot of difficulties accessing our users and systems. So, security is our main concern.

I would like to see mobile device management and mobile application management functionalities similar to Microsoft Intune. They probably had a module for this, but I don't know whether it is continued or discontinued. If they have such a feature, it would be good for customers.

I have been using this solution since 2011.

The stability of the SaaS version is acceptable. Except for the ransomware attack, there were no major incidents. The on-prem version had a lot of performance issues, but they have fixed those issues in the current version.

I am working with a startup company, and we have 20 people working on the SaaS solution. At my previous workplace, we had Kaseya, and we had more than 250 users using the platform.

While using the on-prem version, we had to contact their technical support. They were friendly, and they provided the required support. We have had some issues in the past with the priority of the ticket where from Kaseya's point of view, it was a minor issue, but from our point of view, it was a major issue.

It takes time to contact the account manager in this region. For Australia, they have an account manager in Sydney or New Zealand.

Positive

I have been working with Kaseya from the start.

We are now using the SaaS version, and we can configure it in a few hours or half a day. The on-prem version, which I haven't used in a while, takes longer. It is not as easy as the SaaS version, but anyone with the basic knowledge of the configuration apps can set up the system. You don't need high-level engineers. The on-prem setup can take up to two days. For the on-prem version, we need at least three engineers. There were several issues with the on-prem version, but they seem to have fixed those.

It is easy to manage. For on-prem, you need to take care of the agent updates. You need to maintain the server side, the database side, and the application side.

We are a managed IT service provider, so we get more benefits when we use Kaseya.

It is not expensive. Anyone can afford it. Most of the time, we get a discount for licenses. We had about 5,000 agents, and we received a discount on the price.

There is only the licensing cost. If you use the on-prem version, you also have the infrastructure cost.

We had plans to use only Kaseya, but after the ransomware attack, we are considering an alternative solution or moving to another stable product because the impact of the security breach was very high. We have done some research regarding RMM tools, and feature-wise, Kaseya is better for us. Other solutions can't match its features. They have features, but they are not completely aligned with Kaseya. That's the only reason why we have still kept it, but most probably, we will move to a Microsoft product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10. It is a good product. All features are useful and user-friendly, but security is our main concern.

Co-Owner at BizTech Plus
    Reseller
    An efficient solution that is easy to scale and very adaptable
    • "This solution is our RMM tool and we love the deployment features."
    • "The solution is hard to use at first until you understand how it works."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is our RMM tool and we love the deployment features. We just develop a package for each dual client base that we have or for each client network, or actually in some cases we have two packages depending on if it's going to be a remote user or an in-house user. My partner sets up the packages and we install the packages on the computers as they come in and they do pretty much everything for us and get all the software installed. The only thing we have to do is put in a couple of passwords for the individual users and we're off and running.

What is most valuable?

We used to use a different product and we've found that this solution is far more efficient for using the BMS and VSA and also with our documentation. This solution just made life a lot easier.

What needs improvement?

The solution is hard to use at first until you understand how it works. Once you gain an understanding of how it works, it's great, but it's not a five minute tutorial and you're off and running. You do need to spend some time to learn how to use it.

I would say the solution is stable. We haven't had any trouble since we deployed it.

Scalability is easy with this solution, and you can always go up. However, it is hard to go down because, just like everybody else, once you get to where you have so many users, you can't remove them due to the contracts.

We're actually in the process of growing, and we are hoping to bring on another 45 to 100 endpoints in the next three to four months. We're also in talks with another company to bring on another 300 endpoints in the next nine months, and we're expecting to grow by maybe one technician.

For us, the tech support has been mostly educational. We've had a couple of issues where things weren't working as we thought they should be and they've been very responsive. Plus the tech support has been great when we ask for training. My partner prefers to do everything by email instead of phone and we usually get responses from the team within an hour or two and resolution within the day as to figuring out what the problem is.

Our ROI is probably about six months. We started seeing real improvement in our efficiency at that point because we were still finding new things we wanted to do with the solution. We're actually still finding more things we want to do with it because we just ask, and all of a sudden, "Yeah. You can do that." It's like, "Oh, okay." It's been very adaptable for us in that aspect, and the amount of power it provides has just been amazing. I also note there are a couple of things on the horizon that might make it even that much better.

I think VSA is like $4.00, but we got a deal on it, so it was under $2.00 per endpoint per month.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as a nine out of ten.

Download our free Kaseya VSA Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022