Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus is #7 ranked solution in top Event Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus an average rating of 6.6 out of 10. IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus is most commonly compared to IBM Tivoli NetCool Impact: IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus vs IBM Tivoli NetCool Impact. IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 80% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 37% of all views.

Download the Event Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus?
Tivoli Netcool OMNIbus provides near real-time service assurance for business infrastructure, applications, servers, network devices and protocols, Internet protocols, storage and security devices.

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus was previously known as Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus.

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Customers
Consolidated Communications, €sterreichische Bundesbahnen (€BB), Capgemini
IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Video

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus pricing:
"Its license cost is a little bit more than other solutions. Our customers expect a standard market price that is comparative to other products. For each and every NetCool OMNIbus component, we have to purchase a separate license. These components are not free with the product."

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Reviews

VijayDaniel - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It is customer-centric and has support for multi-layered protocols, but it needs better integration and GUI
  • "It is customer-centric. Customers can access the event list from their location or desktop and view the event. There is no need to go and connect to any other server and run events to have a view of all the events happening in the environment. We get a good response from customers about this feature and the main architecture of NetCool. Its processing is very good. Deduplication and correlation functionalities are good in this solution as compared to other solutions. A big advantage of NetCool is that it also supports multi-layered protocols. We can receive multiple events from different protocols like UDP, HTTP, and those events can be captured in NetCool."
  • "Its integration could be better. They should provide an easier integration for all the monitoring stuff, and it will make things easier for us. Currently, there is a complexity in integrating it with a vendor application, and we have to use another tool to integrate it with a vendor application. To integrate some applications with NetCool, I need to install an IBM tool on top of it. It would be good if they can provide an API or any kind of interface that we can leverage while developing a new protocol interface or application. We should be able to use an API or interface with NetCool. Its GUI can also be better. As compared to other tools, it is not user friendly, and it is not easy to do stuff through GUI. Whenever we do anything on the GUI, it takes time. They need to focus on the GUI part, especially the dashboard. They should focus on how users can effectively drill down from one box to another. The visual appeal of the dashboard is as important as the data and functionality."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in the banking services domain. We have many devices and interfaces from different vendors. To perform monitoring, we have deployed NetCool at the high-level architecture. We have 50 lines of business (LOB), and we are using NetCool as a central point. It acts as an event manager. For each and every LOB, we deploy other monitoring tools, and from there, we collect all the events and point them to NetCool.

We are using NetCool/Impact for ticketing into BMC Remedy. We are now bringing out apps on top of NetCool for predictive analytics. They would be useful for predicting what is going to happen in the future and perform historical analysis of all those things.

What is most valuable?

It is customer-centric. Customers can access the event list from their location or desktop and view the event. There is no need to go and connect to any other server and run events to have a view of all the events happening in the environment. We get a good response from customers about this feature and the main architecture of NetCool.

A big advantage of NetCool is that it also supports multi-layered protocols. We can receive multiple events from different protocols like UDP, HTTP, and those events can be captured in NetCool.

What needs improvement?

Its integration could be better. They should provide an easier integration for all the monitoring stuff, and it will make things easier for us. Currently, there is a complexity in integrating it with a vendor application, and we have to use another tool to integrate it with a vendor application. To integrate some applications with NetCool, I need to install an IBM tool on top of it. It would be good if they can provide an API or any kind of interface that we can leverage while developing a new protocol interface or application. We should be able to use an API or interface with NetCool.

Its GUI can also be better. As compared to other tools, it is not user friendly, and it is not easy to do stuff through GUI. Whenever we do anything on the GUI, it takes time. They need to focus on the GUI part, especially the dashboard. They should focus on how users can effectively drill down from one box to another. The visual appeal of the dashboard is as important as the data and functionality.

I have been using this solution for the past 20 years.

Event Monitoring
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Micro Focus and others in Event Monitoring. Updated: September 2022.
634,550 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a very stable product.

It is very scalable. I can add multiple components according to my requirement. We have a lot of users of this solution.

They provide good support. I worked as a solution consultant for IBM two years ago.

It is quite easy to install. In terms of process, it took us a month because we need to have a CR in place for each environment before doing any installation or upgrade.

Its license cost is a little bit more than other solutions. Our customers expect a standard market price that is comparative to other products. For each and every NetCool OMNIbus component, we have to purchase a separate license. These components are not free with the product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for event monitoring. I would advise using AI apps or other tools on top of it for predictive analytics. You need to have a solution on top of it as a central solution to manage everything.

Based on my analytical background and a lot of experience, I would rate IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus a six out of ten.

The Pranshul Garg - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Instant centralized monitoring that is extremely stable but could be more user-friendly and up-to-date
  • "Probes are the best feature because they are well written which rarely requires you to write additional rules. These probes monitor activity within your environment."
  • "I would like for the next release to be more user-friendly and out of date. The next release should focus on the cloud, AI, and ML technologies."

What is our primary use case?

We an implementer and a user of this solution. We are able to use this solution for integration detection, reporting, automation, and event monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customers are able to have instant monitoring of events and other activity within their environment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for about nine years.

This solution is very stable, we hardly see any issues due to the quality system configuration.

This solution is highly scalable. You can expand it at any level. We have hundreds of probes that are running on more than thousands of devices, gathering millions of alarms, creating thousands of tickets, and yet we have never seen any performance issue.

Support is extremely professional and responsive. In some cases, you get a response to your ticket immediately based on the severity of your ticket.

The initial setup is a bit complex in comparison to other tools. There is a lot of manual installation to be done (including object servers and probes) to allow it to run in the system. I do not recall exactly how long the initial setup took, but I know it was longer than other competitors such as Splunk, Moogsoft, etc.

Staff required for maintenance depends on how diligently you configure the system.

We were able to deploy via our in-house team. For a standard-sized deployment, about two to three people are required.

What other advice do I have?

There was a lot of precision put into the development of this product, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a monitoring tool.

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Event Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Micro Focus, and more!
Updated: September 2022