We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Splunk Phantom OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Splunk Phantom is #3 ranked solution in SOAR tools. PeerSpot users give Splunk Phantom an average rating of 8 out of 10. Splunk Phantom is most commonly compared to Palo Alto Networks Cortex XSOAR: Splunk Phantom vs Palo Alto Networks Cortex XSOAR. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Splunk Phantom?

Phantom enables teams to work smarter by executing automated actions across their security infrastructure in seconds, versus hours or more if performed manually. Teams can codify workflows into Phantom’s automated playbooks using the visual editor (no coding required) or the integrated Python development environment. By offloading these repetitive tasks, teams can focus their attention on making the most mission-critical decisions.
Orchestration
Phantom is the connective tissue that lets existing security tools work better together. By connecting and coordinating complex workflows across the SOC’s team and tools, Phantom ensures that each part of the SOC’s layered defense is actively participating in a unified defense strategy. Powerful abstraction allows teams to focus on what they need to accomplish, while the platform translates that into tool-specific actions.
Incident Response
Phantom helps security teams investigate and respond to threats faster. Using Phantom’s automated detection, investigation, and response capabilities, teams can execute response actions at machine speed, reduce malware dwell time and lower their overall mean time to resolve (MTTR). And now with Phantom on Splunk Mobile, analysts can use their mobile device to respond to security incidents while on-the-go. Phantom’s event and case management functionality can further streamline security operations. Case-related data and activity are easily accessible from one central repository. It’s easy to chat with other team members about an event or case, and assign events and tasks to the appropriate team member.

Splunk Phantom was previously known as Phantom.

Splunk Phantom Buyer's Guide

Download the Splunk Phantom Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Splunk Phantom Customers

Recorded Future, Blackstone

Splunk Phantom Video

Splunk Phantom Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Splunk Phantom pricing:
"I don't know the exact price, but for my region, it is very expensive."

Splunk Phantom Reviews

HariHaran
Technical Analyst at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Very stable with a straightforward setup and good performance
  • "The customization continues to be excellent."
  • "In the beginning, we couldn't find any specific documents for every function. It wasn't easy to navigate to what we needed."

What is our primary use case?

We are doing some automation on the SIM and we are getting some SIMS and we are looking for some automation to improve the security environment. That's how we are currently using Splunk.

What is most valuable?

Comparing this product to other SOAR tools, most of the items are the same, however, the UI of Phantom is pretty good if you compare it against other SOAR tools.

The work formation and the templates based on some use cases all look good.

The product is very easy to use and has a very good user experience.

The solution is very stable.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

We've found the written documentation to be excellent.

The performance is very good.

We've found the solution has recently improved its UI.

The customization continues to be excellent.

What needs improvement?

In the beginning, we couldn't find any specific documents for every function. It wasn't easy to navigate to what we needed. However, lately, it has improved and we are able to find Splunk documents for all the functionalities of Phantom.

It would be helpful, on the other hand, if there were videos regarding each functionality. That would make it even easier to work with Phantom. We are able to find some documentation in written form, and that's fine. If it is in a video format, then it would be better due to the fact that, in some environments, we find some other issues or something and it would be nice to have a visualization of the process.

The solution is a bit more expensive than other offerings.

I'd recommend that the solution add some new apps, or some average services, like bots or G-Suite. We may already have G Suite in Phantom. Bots, like any common VPN service, would be great, however.

I've used the solution for about one year or so. It hasn't been an extremely long amount of time just yet.

We haven't had any stability issues at all. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy. There aren't glitches that I've seen. It seems very stable and very reliable.

We have had an issue related to the firewall. However, that had nothing to do with Splunk directly.

We have five or six individuals that handle Phantom at any given time, as needed.

We didn't try to scale Splunk due to the fact that we already have a VM and we are working on that. We don't use Phantom too much as we have some community license. Based on the license, we are running simple actions only, and therefore we are not giving that much of a workload to Phantom.

I haven't been in contact with technical support at all. I can't speak to their responsiveness or how helpful they would be.

That said, some of my colleagues have done a boot camp with technical support, and they likely have had contact. I haven't heard of anything negative.

I didn't previously use a different tool. This is my first SOAR tool. I've also used Demisto. These are the two tools that I have and that I currently work with.

It's my understanding, from a customer's perspective, that the better solution is Demisto based on licensing costs, however, in terms of the performance and efficiency involved, it's Phantom. Phantom is a bit more expensive in general.

The initial set up seems pretty easy. While I didn't personally handle any part of it, it's my understanding that it's not a big issue to implement everything. We were able to install the file easily. It was straight forward. When we were handling the clustering part, it was a little difficult as we had some license issues. We need a license to get that clustering part set up. It would be ideal if they offered at least a trial license so that we could see how it works and the formation, etc. Right now, without any license, we aren't able to do this clustering part.

I'm unsure as to how maintenance is handled on the solution. I believe we need to handle it manually as we did not install any bot that would handle anything. There may be alternative workarounds in newer versions.

I'm not working deeply on Phantom. In fact, I'm concentrating more on SIM. My colleagues are the ones working on Phantom. Therefore, I'm not sure if we actually had outside assistance or handled everything internally.

We use a community license. We don't have to pay for any actual licensing. However, the solution, when you have a paid version, is quite costly. That said, in terms of performance, it's worth the extra cost. Also, it's my understanding that everything is included in the licensing cost, once you pay for the product. There aren't any added fees.

What other advice do I have?

We have a business relationship with Splunk. We're partners.

We're using the solution on our VM and also on our database cloud.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Compared to other products, Phantom seems to be easy to use and the ability to customize is high. Compared to the older version, the newer version is very customizable. We can very easily create custom functions. The UI looks good and is also improved.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Al Sedghi
Chief Technology Officer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Good protocol flexibility and team collaboration for threat detection, but the API integration needs to be expanded
  • "The most valuable feature is the risk-based access control."
  • "We want to see improvements made to the APIs such that we can connect to many different systems and data sources."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting firm and this is a solution that we use for ourselves, as well as implement it for our customers.

Our use case is to establish a platform for threat analysis across different data sources that we have in the company. Essentially, it is an orchestration platform and we want to make sure that we can tie into different endpoints or data sources from which traffic originates. We need to then detect and analyze threats.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the risk-based access control.

The team collaboration when it comes to detecting a threat is helpful.

I like the fact that we can leverage the API to be able to establish a connection and share information across different repositories.

The flexibility that it has when using different protocols, like TLP, for communicating, is fairly good.

This solution supports the automated handling of phishing attempts through the collection of potentially malicious emails from end-users. It analyzes them, identifies threats, and assesses risk.

What needs improvement?

Phantom was only recently acquired by Splunk so it is not fully integrated yet. Our area of concern is that Splunk Phantom works with the other Splunk products. At this point, there are certain things that are not fully operational across the rest of the product line.

The extension of the product to allow for better integration with other data sources is something that needs attention. We want to see improvements made to the APIs such that we can connect to many different systems and data sources.

The search capability could be improved by way of better indexing and also integration with third-party solutions such as Elasticsearch.

I would like to see escalation management and integration with communication tools like Slack.

I would like to have more capability around analytics.

There needs to be a better facility for documenting and storing issues, as well as being able to find those issues. Splunk does a good job of that, so I think that it will be done.

The solution overall is stable, but it could be more so. It is an application server and there is a vulnerability when a traffic overload occurs, or if there is an incompatibility with a backend or another data source. There is a risk that something can freeze up.

High Availability / Disaster Recovery (HA/DR) is key and Splunk Phantom’s product offerings must ensure sharding and clustering to enable scalability and automated failover

Because this is an orchestration platform, it's supposed to offload the users from being directly involved in looking at and analyzing security issues. It is something that you just let run. From an administration standpoint, we have a team of ten people that work around this platform.

Prior to Splunk acquiring Phantom, the support for this solution was subpar. Now, however, the support model has changed and it is pretty reasonable.

The initial setup takes some time because you have to configure it and then connect it to different data sources and make sure that they operate properly. It requires an engineer who's fairly knowledgeable in security, interaction, setup, and administration.

In terms of the deployment time, I think that it is something that you can get up and running in perhaps two or three months. I don't think that you could get this up and running fully in a week, for example.

It is a subscription-based licensing model that varies depending on how much data is processed by Spunk. There are built-in volume discounts.

There are some additional costs if you want to get some front-end support or installation or setup, which is part of professional services. There are also some modules, such as analytics, that Splunk will provide for an additional fee.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to first really understand the requirements that you have, well enough. You need to identify and understand the data sources that you need, prior to purchase, to ensure that there is a need and also that there are no issues with incompatibility or connectivity. You also need to have the right resources to assess, implement, or oversee the implementation. You're going into an environment that requires a little bit of understanding of artificial intelligence because the SOAR platform requires setting up some rules. You also need to have a technical support group in-house to be able to help, otherwise, you would be dependent on Splunk for assistance.

Overall, this product is fairly good but it's not quite mature yet. It needs some enhancement and some stabilization in some areas.

Private Cloud

Learn what your peers think about Splunk Phantom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Abhinav Roy
Senior Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Great automation capabilities, easy to use, and offers good GUI
  • "So far, the interface is very easy to use."
  • "It would be ideal if we could automate processes even more."

What is our primary use case?

We're not really creating the use cases. Our internal team is developing the use cases. Right now, we have automated the whole phishing process. After that we are still planning to automate a few more things like malware investigation and then from there other processes.

What is most valuable?

We're in the POC phase. We need more time to get used to the solution and to understand it better to discover the most useful features.

So far, the interface is very easy to use.

The GUI is great.

The features in the Phantom playbook are all very good.

You can build different playbook and you can play with the playbook. One playbook can give you insights into URL applications, one playbook you can give the reputation about the file access. You can build different playbooks and after integrating all the playbooks you can come up with some organizational directions and decisions. It will give you very good insights into various incidents.

The solution is great for automating redundant work.

It's difficult sometime to manage the amount of reported suspicious emails. Using an intervention like this solution helps make that task easier.

What needs improvement?

We haven't had too much experience on the solution.

The solution is relatively new in the market.

It would be ideal if we could automate processes even more.

The interface is great, however, they could still keep refining it to make it even more user friendly.

We have used the solution over the past year.

At a previous organization, I did work with another tool in Beta. It was able to provide UVA capacity. I'm not sure if they used a different tool at this current organization.

The Phantom has better GUI, however, I'm not able to clearly see the risk fabric.

I wasn't part of the deployment team. I have no idea if the initial implementation is straightforward or complex.

Technically, we are still in the deployment phase. We haven't finished yet. We are yet to go live. IN the next few weeks we'll go live, however, only on the phishing features.

I'm not aware of the company looking into other options before choosing this solution. All of this was handled by the procurement team, and I am not a party to their decision-making process.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using.

If a company wants to automate redundant work, this solution is perfect for that. Very specific processes can be easily automated to save time. That way, analysts can invest their time elsewhere. Phantom is one of the great tools for reducing redundancies.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Technical Lead at Paladion Networks
Good security orchestration and when we face challenges with it we can find a solution in the documentation
  • "Very flexible integration with other tools"
  • "And most of the challenges that I have faced with the solution can be found in the documentation itself."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of the solution is for fine tuning. We provide professional services for our customers to enhance their ability to use the functionalities of Splunk. We're integrators of the solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Splunk is a very flexible integration with other tools. Compared to other products in the market, Splunk is very user friendly, and not very complicated. It integrates with most of the endpoints and that's a very positive side of the solution. There's no need to remember a lot of things and documentation is great. I really appreciate that aspect. Since it is cloud-based there is a lot of flexibility. And most of the challenges that I have faced with the solution can be found in the documentation itself.

At this point, I'm very happy with the solution. There's nothing there that disturbs me. Security orchestration is a new emerging issue in the market. If I have to compare with other security orchestration tools, Splunk is a good solution. Many vendors have opted for Splunk because of easy usability and connectivity to radius devices.

I've been using this solution for about six months.

Stability is good

Scalability is good, allows flexibility. That's what makes life easy.

There's great documentation and most of the challenges I've faced, I've found the solution via the documentation. I've never contacted the technical support which attests to the quality of the documentation.

I know RSA and Splunk are similar solutions even though I've never used RSA. I know that Splunk is user friendly and doesn't require in-depth knowledge. Everything is file based, applications like RSA rely on databases. I have the confidence of being able to use Splunk efficiently and there are a lot of features I can handle myself the way I want to.

Initial setup is very straightforward and simple. Much easier than other tools, it takes a couple of days depending on the architecture.

The solution is for our clients so we don't deal with the licensing aspect.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know your customer's requirements so you can choose the correct solution. The budget also needs to be taken into account. Most customer's budgets suit a Splunk solution whereas RSA is much more expensive.

I would rate Splunk Phantom a seven out of 10.

Cyber Security Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to create playbooks, easy to deploy, and good integration capabilities and searching methodologies
  • "I like the integration capabilities of Phantom. It has a lot of integrations with other products. Its searching methodologies are also good. It is also easy to understand and easy to create playbooks."
  • "I haven't used it fully, but based on my usage, I could not find simulation tools and features. It currently lacks simulation features, which are important for me for creating a playbook. It is also very expensive for my region."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case was for the MITRE ATT&CK parameters. I have some experience with MITRE ATT&CK for SIEM and SOAR solutions.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration capabilities of Phantom. It has a lot of integrations with other products.

Its searching methodologies are also good. It is also easy to understand and easy to create playbooks.

What needs improvement?

I haven't used it fully, but based on my usage, I could not find simulation tools and features. It currently lacks simulation features, which are important for me for creating a playbook.

It is also very expensive for my region.

I have been using this solution for one year.

I didn't focus on that feature, so I cannot say anything about that.

I don't have any experience with their technical support. My customer was using it in their company, and I had some experience with this solution over there while managing their security solutions, but I didn't get in touch with Splunk specialists.

Its initial setup is straightforward. It is similar to most of the solutions. I didn't have any complexity.

I don't know the exact price, but for my region, it is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it also depends on the price. Splunk is number one for SIEM or SOAR. Another solution that I would recommend is Palo Alto XSOAR.

I would rate Splunk Phantom a nine out of ten.

Cyber Security Manager at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use and popular with our team but is a bit expensive
  • "I'm just a beginner on the solution and it's pretty easy for me to use."
  • "We've had trouble implementing the solution with Microsoft products. There seems to be an integration gap."

What is most valuable?

I'm just a beginner on the solution and it's pretty easy for me to use.

Our team likes it. They've been using it for a while and they really seem to like it. They know more about it than I do at this point, as I'm still new.

It's a default for a lot of things on our system.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the product could be more reasonable.

While I am a beginner on the Splunk platform, our team has a good amount of experience with it overall. I've personally only been working with it for two or three months or so. It hasn't been that long.

I've never actually opened a ticket with Splunk technical support in the past. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are. I don't have any experience with them to discuss how helpful or responsive they are.

The licenses are quite expensive at this time. They need to work on the pricing in order to make the costs much more reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Splunk.

I can't speak to which version of the solution we're using.

I'd rate the solution at seven out of ten overall.

Download our free Splunk Phantom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.