IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

ReadyAPI OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ReadyAPI is #4 ranked solution in top Performance Testing Tools and #12 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give ReadyAPI an average rating of 8 out of 10. ReadyAPI is most commonly compared to SoapUI Pro: ReadyAPI vs SoapUI Pro. ReadyAPI is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
ReadyAPI Buyer's Guide

Download the ReadyAPI Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is ReadyAPI?

ReadyAPI is an all-in-one automated testing platform that allows teams to create, manage, and execute automated functional, security, and performance tests in one centralized interface.

ReadyAPI Features

Some of ReadyAPI’s key features include:

• Continuous integration
  • Comprehensive dashboard
  • API discovery
  • Central, standardized reporting function
  • Plugin architecture
  • ReadyAPI Projects
  • Multiple options for scripting to create functional, load, or security tests

ReadyAPI Benefits

Some of the benefits of using ReadyAPI include:

• Easy and flexible test creation and execution: ReadyAPI has visual editors and wizards that make testing easy, saving time and simplifying onboarding.

• Test APIs continuously: With ReadyAPI you can run consistent tests on local environments, Docker containers, or other distributed staging environments.

• Team friendly: ReadyAPI enables software teams with the ability to easily share testing projects and artifacts, share licenses between team members, and report issues directly from the testing IDE.

• Powerful, data-driven testing capabilities: With ReadyAPI, you can save time by checking for numerous real world conditions.

• Supports multiple specifications, schemas, and protocols: ReadyAPI includes legacy SOAP services, microservices powered by Apache Kafka, and mainstream REST services, as well as IoT use cases leveraging MQTT. It allows you to test and virtualize the most popular API protocols and also to import APIs from specifications and schemas instantly.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by Dell EMC Unity users.

PeerSpot user Vallalarasu P., Test Architect at a tech services company, states, “ReadyAPI is one of the best tools for API testing because they have made a single platform for functional testing, load testing security, and also service actualization. We also have virtual work that can be an add-in within ReadyAPI. For integration for CACD, they have something called TestEngine, which can also be an add-on for ReadyAPI. We use Python request library and things like that but if you're a bigger organization with hundreds of APIs, then ReadyAPI is a one-stop solution for complete API testing. If you consider TestComplete and other products for an equivalent outcome, you might get something nearly comparable, butReadyAPI is the outstanding product.”

An IT Manager at an insurance company says the solution has “Fast automation, less coding, and is pretty lightweight. When you are working in sprints, you need to have continuous feedback. ReadyAPI definitely helps in automating very fast and rapidly. We have less coding, and we can more easily define our assertions. We don't use it for full-blown performance testing, but normally if you are doing your functional testing, it gives you the request and response time. Anybody who is doing functional testing can see what the request and response times are and raise a flag based upon their business affiliates, that is, whether it is meeting their affiliates. You can identify this during functional testing."

Balamurugan A., Manager at a financial services firm, comments, “We like the user interface. The most valuable features are the integration with Jira and the test management tools.

They have interfaces with our performance tools, so we were able to leverage all of these integrations and plugins. It is very good from an integrative solution standpoint.”

ReadyAPI was previously known as Ready API.

ReadyAPI Customers

Healthcare Data Solutions (HDS)

ReadyAPI Video

ReadyAPI Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ReadyAPI pricing:
  • "The cost of a license is probably around $1,000 to $2,000. Accounting is done by my leadership. I am more into implementations and making sure all things and processes are taken care of and the frameworks are maintained and managed."
  • "There are costs in addition to the licensing fee. For example, if you want to add the load testing you would pay more."
  • "The price was around $6,000 for one license, but I don't remember exactly. It is definitely expensive. Our organization was planning on having multiple licenses for this year."
  • "The price of the solution has been fine."
  • ReadyAPI Reviews

Vallalarasu  Pandiyan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Test Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A great single platform for functional testing, load testing security, and service actualization
    • "A single platform for functional testing, load testing security, and service actualization."
    • "Lacking flexibility of adding more custom verification for security testing."

What is our primary use case?

We are partners with SmartBear and I'm a test architect.

What is most valuable?

ReadyAPI is one of the best tools for API testing because they have made a single platform for functional testing, load testing security, and also service actualization. We also have virtual work that can be an add-in within ReadyAPI. For integration for CACD, they have something called TestEngine, which can also be an add-on for ReadyAPI. We use Python request library and things like that but if you're a bigger organization with hundreds of APIs, then ReadyAPI is a one-stop solution for complete API testing. If you consider TestComplete and other products for an equivalent outcome, you might get something nearly comparable, butReadyAPI is the outstanding product.

What needs improvement?

I think the security testing with API could be improved as they provide limited templates. It would be helpful if they provided us with more capabilities and the flexibility of adding more custom verification for the security testing part of ReadyAPI. Basically, some additional features would improve the product.

I've been using this solution for five years.
    ReadyAPI
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about ReadyAPI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.

If you are thinking about huge numbers of APIs that need to be maintained and executed, this product can be scalable to large amounts. We can create multiple projects, maintain them and group them according to what suits our test skills. All this comes with a beautified structure from whatever SoapUI open source we have. They carry all the advantages of open source and additionally they are non-scripting and generate reports after test events. All these things as well as custom reporting if you need that, so it's very comfortable for scaling. We need to use ReadyAPI for scalability, because if you go to RestAssured and are writing a framework there, it is good for a hundred APIs. But if you go for a thousand APIs you'll need to have someone to maintain the code completely and to fix it whenever it's failing. You need to rewrite the frameworks and then if your API is getting updated you need to modify all this stuff, but here the API is so good.

Technical support is very good. If you have a customer ID and you purchase the license, I think you will get a response from SmartBear within 24 hours. They also give a platform for requesting new features. They have a large technical team who analyze and try to implement, and they give you the status of your suggestions, so they will tell you that they're still in the process of analyzing whether they will accept them or not. Their community, the SmartBear community, is huge and very well organized actually. If you have any technical questions, even if you don't raise a support ticket but raise a question in the community, they have multiple community managers for specific products. They'll either answer or tag someone to answer any question.

I previously worked with SoapUI Open Source, and also with ParaSoft SOAtest which is a similar product to ReadyAPI from the ParaSoft SOAtest. That is also a very good API testing tool and I think they recently added smart generator features and other things. I think that perhaps their ID is not very compatible and not as user friendly as ReadyAPI, but it also has very good features.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, it's just an exe. And then when we execute it, the UI pops up and we can use it. Recently I think they've added a lot of integrations and other new releases. Implementation takes a couple of minutes and we're up and running.

When it comes to large enterprise, ReadyAPI is good. They also sell specific additional products but they don't force you to buy the complete package. You can select and purchase whichever products you want. The price is reasonable and I don't think it's very high, because of the flexibility - anyone can buy any product at any time.

What other advice do I have?

If you're testing mainly on API and then you want to have a full-fledged API testing on load performance, function, security, etc., this product will actually be a one-stop platform for that. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

IT Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Fast automation, less coding, and pretty lightweight
    • "When you are working in sprints, you need to have continuous feedback. ReadyAPI definitely helps in automating very fast and rapidly. We have less coding, and we can more easily define our assertions. We don't use it for full-blown performance testing, but normally if you are doing your functional testing, it gives you the request and response time. Anybody who is doing functional testing can see what the request and response times are and raise a flag based upon their business affiliates, that is, whether it is meeting their affiliates. You can identify this during functional testing."
    • "It doesn't have connectors to the NoSQL database. This is one of the things where they do not have a very solid strategy today. Other solutions have an in-built mechanism where I can directly and easily connect. An API is more around a user submitting a request on the frontend. It then hits the backend, puts the data, and responds back. If I am hitting MongoDB or NoSQL databases, I do not have ready-made inbuilt solutions in ReadyAPI that can easily help me in automating it faster. In our organization, we deal with NoSQL databases, and therefore, we need Groovy. We just cannot have a connector from ReadyAPI to do that. I have to write Groovy scripts. If you have themes that are predominantly using MongoDB, it leads to more maintenance and support activity because we are introducing more code into our commission. In terms of additional features, it can have cloud support. This is one of the things where we are getting into cloud support. We'll see how it works, but it is one of the doubts that we still have."

What is our primary use case?

ReadyAPI is predominantly used for functional testing of the APIs. Our company has a lot of micro strategy concepts, and we are building a lot of APIs. The focus is on more validations around the APIs for faster or quicker testing rather than the frontend.

What is most valuable?

We don't use it for full-blown performance testing, but normally if you are doing your functional testing, it gives you the request and response time. Anybody who is doing functional testing can see what the request and response times are and raise a flag based upon their business affiliates, that is, whether it is meeting their affiliates. You can identify this during functional testing.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't have connectors to the NoSQL database. This is one of the things where they do not have a very solid strategy today. Other solutions have an in-built mechanism where I can directly and easily connect. An API is more around a user submitting a request on the frontend. It then hits the backend, puts the data, and responds back. If I am hitting MongoDB or NoSQL databases, I do not have ready-made inbuilt solutions in ReadyAPI that can easily help me in automating it faster. In our organization, we deal with NoSQL databases, and therefore, we need Groovy. We just cannot have a connector from ReadyAPI to do that. I have to write Groovy scripts. If you have themes that are predominantly using MongoDB, it leads to more maintenance and support activity because we are introducing more code into our commission.

In terms of additional features, it can have cloud support. This is one of the things where we are getting into cloud support. We'll see how it works, but it is one of the doubts that we still have.

I have been using this solution for almost four years now.

It's pretty good. I haven't seen any issue or ReadyAPI crash in the last four years.

It is scalable. For example, if I'm running a UI test case, it can take me a minimum of 1 or 2 minutes or 45 seconds to 2 to 3 hours, depending upon the complexity of the workflow. If I want to test the same in API and I have defined my framework and everything, I could do it in 30 seconds or 40 seconds.

Technical support is pretty helpful. They are pretty responsive. They come back to you to find out if you want some training on ReadyAPI. If you want to schedule, they will schedule one. They will also help your team to grow or scale up.

When I came in, we were only using SmartBear. Before that, maybe there were normal functional automation testing tools, where you can define your API frameworks and do API testing. With such tools, you write more code for defining the API framework, which already comes inbuilt with ReadyAPI.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Its deployment is pretty simple as well. It doesn't take too long to deploy it.

The cost of a license is probably around $1,000 to $2,000. Accounting is done by my leadership. I am more into implementations and making sure all things and processes are taken care of and the frameworks are maintained and managed.

What other advice do I have?

I would say go for it. It is a really great tool. It is a game-changer because you can automate faster and quicker. It also doesn't take much time for any person to pick up the tool. It is pretty lightweight. Any person who has a little bit of technical background or 1% JavaScript knowledge can quickly use it and write code in Groovy.

I would rate ReadyAPI an eight out of ten.

ReadyAPI
    June 2022
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Balamurugan Arjunan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good support, we like the user interface, and it integrates with several test management tools
    • "The most valuable features are the integration with Jira and the test management tools."
    • "The reporting is not very robust and needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of external vendors that we integrate with, so we need to validate all of the APIs. Also, we need to mark those services that don't need external vendor integration.

How has it helped my organization?

We are at the initial stage of using this product, and although we have a plan, it is too early to assess and recognize the benefits.

What is most valuable?

We like the user interface.

What needs improvement?

The reporting is not very robust and needs to be improved. They give the pass or fail criteria, but we need to know the history and also why it has failed. Essentially, the details that we see in other tools are missing. This is a request that we have made and we hope that these are implemented in the next version.

They should include support for integrating with Xray, which is another test management tool. More generally, they should have a larger scope when it comes to integrating with test management tools.

We recently acquired the license for ReadyAPI and have been using it for the past three months.

We have not found any bugs or glitches so stability-wise, it is good enough for us to use.

The scalability is good. We have eight people in the IT department who use this product. There are four in development and another four in the QA team.

The interaction that we have had with Smartbear has been pretty good. They are responsive, and they can give an action item as well as a timeline for when it can be implemented.

I would rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

Prior to using Ready API, we were using Postman.

Postman is only for manual API testing, but when it comes to ReadyAPI, we can automate it using Groovy Scripts. We also have a plan to use Service Pro and LoadUI. These are the reasons that we selected ReadyAPI.

The initial setup was straightforward. All we had to do was configure the license server.

What other advice do I have?

Our plan includes a need to filter out all the API, middle-tier bugs. This is the initial phase of development. We don't want to find any bugs in either UAT or UAP. That's an objective for us, but right now, we are setting up the team and people are working on it.

My advice for anybody who is implementing ReadyAPI is, to begin with establishing a framework of what they want to achieve. Comfort with the framework is more important, before acquiring the license.

Manager, Clinical Applications QA Testing at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to learn how to use it but the version control doesn't work well, it's not stable, and the support needs improvement
    • "It's easy to learn how to use it."
    • "Version control does not work well."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for API testing on HL7 messages for healthcare.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to learn how to use it.

What needs improvement?

Version control does not work well. It's has a git API which is defective and doesn't work well with our version repository, Bitbucket. We do all version control using git bash (command line driven), and sometimes we have to try several times to as there still hooks into the ReadyAPI git API which cause issues.

I have been using ReadyAPI since April 2020.

I don't find it to be that stable. Sometimes it stalls, shuts down or you have to shut it down and restart it.

We haven't scaled it. We have approximately nine people using this solution in our organization.

SmartBear does not take phone calls. You have to email them if you want something resolved. It's a lot of back and forth through email, which takes a long time.

I am not impressed at all with SmartBear. We don't want to purchase any of their products going forward.

HP ALM - support is not good and the yearly license was very expensive - also not an easy tool to build API tests as we were using Service Test.

Licensing costs are yearly.

Not for API testing as we already had ReadyAPI - another team was using it for adhoc testing

What other advice do I have?

It's not stable. The Git API within ReadyAPI is a a GUI front end to make it easier to do version control but it doesn't work well as mentioned.

It's not reliable. I would not recommend this product, as there are better products out there.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

SDET at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Data-driven solution that allows you to run test suites for different versions
    • "The most valuable feature is being able to run each version for test suites."
    • "To generate a test suite in API, I had to create a separate one each time because otherwise it was just override the test. Each API had to be added separately. I thought I could just have one and then create different methods, but I had to add each API separately to create the test for that. That is an area that could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly used the different applications of API. It's data-driven, so I had to create the Excel sheet and then loop it through the test suites. We were running each version, which was helpful.

Our organization doesn't have many servers due to security compliance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to run each version for test suites.

What needs improvement?

To generate a test suite in API, I had to create a separate one each time because otherwise it would just override the test. Each API had to be added separately. I thought I could just have one and then create different methods, but I had to add each API separately to create the test for that. That is an area that could be improved.

It would be nice to have some kind of automation or organization.

I used the latest version of this solution for about six months.

It was okay. There were one or two times the solution closed on me but otherwise it was fine.

The scalability is okay.

Support was good.

Setup was fine, but I needed to have some meetings with support to complete the integration with Azure DevOps.

The price was around $6,000 for one license, but I don't remember exactly. It is definitely expensive. Our organization was planning on having multiple licenses for this year.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10. I definitely like ReadyAPI. It is a good tool and it's easy to use.

Development team leader / APPR at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, scalable, and helpful support

What is our primary use case?

We use ReadyAPI for testing APIs.

What is most valuable?

When we are doing API testing we have found it to be very efficient to receive results. Additionally, you are able to do tests directly from the API.

I have used ReadyAPI within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable.

I have found ReadyAPI scalable.

I have used the support and they assisted us with a problem which they resolved.

I have used TestComplete.

The initial setup could be less complex.

The price of the solution has been fine.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone who wants to do API testing, this solution is easy to use.

I rate ReadyAPI an eight out of ten.

Download our free ReadyAPI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022