PagerDuty OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

PagerDuty is the #1 ranked solution in top IT Alerting and Incident Management tools. PeerSpot users give PagerDuty an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. PagerDuty is most commonly compared to Opsgenie: PagerDuty vs Opsgenie. PagerDuty is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
PagerDuty Buyer's Guide

Download the PagerDuty Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is PagerDuty?

PagerDuty is an IT alerting and incident management tool that helps your organization elevate its digital operations and resolve incidents quickly across apps, servers, and websites. The solution enables you to automate tasks across teams and build more reliable services. It also allows you to orchestrate and accelerate responses across your digital infrastructure. PagerDuty is suitable for small, medium, and large-sized enterprises.

PagerDuty Features

PagerDuty has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• 650+ integrations
  • Alerting
  • Native apps with push notifications
  • On-call duty scheduling
  • Issue tracking
  • Access controls/permissions
  • Service Level Agreement (SLA) management

PagerDuty Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing PagerDuty. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Ideal for developers: With the PagerDuty solution, developers can spend more time focused on code. The solution’s powerful automation and noise reduction capabilities minimize interruptions and mobilize the right team in seconds.
  • Security incident response: Because of its integration ecosystem, PagerDuty enables you to respond to threats faster, tighten up security vulnerabilities, and get better cross-team visibility.
  • Critical event management: The solution makes it possible for your organization to get your crisis management team up and running quickly, keep all your business leaders and stakeholders informed in critical moments, and limit any disruptions that could impact your reputation or core business.
  • Service ownership: PagerDuty’s service ownership allows you to give everyone more autonomy, boost accountability, and minimize the impact of issues by quickly pulling in the right responder every time.
  • CollabOps: With this solution, you can integrate with chat and video tools like Slack, Zoom, and Microsoft Teams. Doing so makes it easier to contain incidents quickly, avoid manual errors, and streamline work across DevOps, CSOps, BizOps, and ITOps organizations.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the PagerDuty solution.

Brandon J., Director of engineering at a wellness & fitness company, says, "The SMS pages and the mobile application are pretty much the top two features."

PeerSpot reviewer Pramodh M., DevSecOps Consultant at a tech services company, comments, “The inbound integrations that PagerDuty provides with most of the DevOps tools are valuable. There is a flexible and easy way of integrating with monitoring tools. It allows us to configure the integration with APIs and plugins as well.”

Syed Mohammad A., Vice President - Operations and Client Services at a financial services firm, mentions, "PagerDuty let us set up rosters based on our shifts. We could assign a hierarchy for how the calls should be escalated and the number of times the call will be transferred between people before it is answered. It makes it easy to access an agent via mobile phone."

A Principal Architect at an energy/utilities company states, “The most important feature that is used is call scheduling. We are also able to actually call IT folks in the case of an emergency.”

PagerDuty Customers

40% of the Fortune 100 TrustPagerDuty. Customers include: Slack, Intuit, Zendesk, Panasonic, Pinterest, Airbnb, eHarmony, McKesson, Comcast

PagerDuty Video

PagerDuty Pricing Advice

What users are saying about PagerDuty pricing:
  • "They're very good in pricing compared to the competitors in the area. I would rate them a five out of five in terms of pricing."
  • "The pricing may be about $1,000 per user."
  • "The solution is paid on a monthly basis and represents about 1% of the platform's budget."
  • PagerDuty Reviews

Brandon Johnson - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director of engineering at a wellness & fitness company with 51-200 employees
    Affordable, reliable, API driven, and literally peerless among its competition
    • "The SMS pages and the mobile application are pretty much the top two features."
    • "The biggest area for improvement with PagerDuty is noise suppression. There have been a handful of incidents through our use of PagerDuty over the years where one incident may lead to 30 to 50 pages because you're monitoring all these different things, and each thing is an individual page. There should be the ability to set up paging tiers and group correlations between some of the different pages. That is something that would be really valuable. We should be able to say this one page may have a group or a tree of effective other pages that may tier off of it. So, if you see those pages independently, go ahead and alarm, but if you see this plus that, don't do that."

How has it helped my organization?

It has been fantastic. I've used PagerDuty across multiple companies throughout my career. I brought it with me through several companies. It is one of the most affordable solutions. It is highly API driven.

Over time, they went from just being a really simple solution for sending you a text or an email to being something that can send you alerts, push notifications, and all types of things that guarantee that the people you're trying to reach can be reached. The multi-way messaging, as well as everything else, has really helped make it reliable and consistent. That's something that we necessarily need for on-call operations and those types of activities.

What is most valuable?

The SMS pages and the mobile application are pretty much the top two features.

What needs improvement?

The biggest area for improvement with PagerDuty is noise suppression. There have been a handful of incidents through our use of PagerDuty over the years where one incident may lead to 30 to 50 pages because you're monitoring all these different things, and each thing is an individual page. There should be the ability to set up paging tiers and group correlations between some of the different pages. That is something that would be really valuable. We should be able to say this one page may have a group or a tree of effective other pages that may tier off of it. So, if you see those pages independently, go ahead and alarm, but if you see this plus that, don't do that.

I have probably been using it since 2012. So, it has been a good 12 years at this point.

We're using the current web version and the mobile applications. It is on the cloud.

PagerDuty
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about PagerDuty. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is extremely stable. I've very rarely had issues with PagerDuty. Every once in a while, with some of the newer versions, there were a few issues. When they were putting a new feature out, such as some of the group configurations that they did four or five years ago, I remember a handful of pages that didn't work quite right in those areas, but for the most part, PagerDuty meets like four nines. So, there is consistent uptime.

It is very much scalable. I've seen it being used in organizations as small as 30 people. I've also worked in organizations with a hundred thousand people on PagerDuty. Currently, we have about 150 people. We absolutely have plans to increase its usage.

The product is so self-intuitive that you very rarely need to reach out to their technical support, but when you do, they're pretty quick to turn things around and resolve them for you. I would rate them a four out of five.

Positive

We've used all kinds of paging solutions where we've attempted and tried to do things, but there is just not a lot of great competition to PagerDuty. If you go outside of PagerDuty to other peers in that level of scale, they're either significantly more expensive, or you have to do a whole lot more homegrown stuff. For example, if you wanted to use Amazon SNS, SQS, or SES, you can build these types of solutions, but you end up having to put a lot of infrastructure, time, and engineering effort into them.

It has always been straightforward.

It is always implemented in-house. Its maintenance is effectively zero. Realistically, it is a set-it-and-forget-it type of solution thing, and then it becomes just a regular DevOps task that you tax to your DevOps or your CI/CD teams. For the most part, there are not a lot of changes that need to be done in there, but when a change is needed, it typically takes less than an hour to get that implemented and tested.

We have absolutely seen an ROI.

They're very good in pricing compared to the competitors in the area. I would rate them a five out of five in terms of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

It is one of the most critical things you can do in your infrastructure, and it is a no-brainer, just do it.

I would rate it a 10 out of 10. It is literally peerless among its competition.

DevSecOps Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Rapidly growing, suitable for enterprises, and integrates easily with most of the tools
    • "The inbound integrations that PagerDuty provides with most of the DevOps tools are valuable."
    • "The On-Call Teams feature could be better in terms of levels of conditions related to which team or member should get the responsibility of handling a matter or incident."

What is our primary use case?

I interact with customers and then see the use cases and how they would use the PagerDuty tool and the integrations that come with it. I basically see how the customers will use the product. I then have conversations with the higher members or the stakeholders in the company on what ROIs they would get from this tool and the measurements of metrics, etc.

What is most valuable?

It's an incident management tool. So, its main functionality is to integrate with monitoring tools. There is a flexible and easy way of integrating with monitoring tools. That's what I have observed in most of the scenarios. It allows us to configure the integration with APIs and plugins as well.

What needs improvement?

The On-Call Teams feature could be better in terms of levels of conditions related to which team or member should get the responsibility of handling a matter or incident.

PagerDuty can introduce machine-learning concepts for detecting incidents earlier. They haven't implemented that, but that might be on the roadmap.

It has been one year.

It is stable. It is rapidly growing, and all the features are being built in a stable way for the users to work with. I don't see any difficulties in handling any of the functionalities in PagerDuty.

It is scalable. It is used by enterprise customers. Only good planning is required in the initial stages for us to implement it fully.

So far, we have not reached out to their support team. We were able to support the customers with the solution that they needed when they reached out to us.

Most companies these days are partner-led companies. The first hand that goes into support is from a partner. Partners like us support the customers in any P3 or P4 issues. We also help with the P1 issues if they're finding it difficult to manage the application, and in turn, if the partners need support from the PagerDuty support team itself, they get support within one or two hours. So, it is easier for customers to go through a partner.

It depends on the complexity of the environment a customer has. If a customer only wants to track one application, then it's just a straightforward integration. If a customer wants to set up the tool at an enterprise level, there should be a real plan that requires having discussions with all the teams. We need to build a plan and then methodically integrate all the tools one by one. It's not always complex, but better planning helps in configuring these tools properly. In most of the scenarios, it provides us the integrations that are readily built, and we have successfully configured it in most of the customer environments. Overall, I would rate its setup a 4 out of 5.

It's not only the budget that goes into the product. We see all the other factors as well, such as the services that they buy and investments they make in the resources for configuring, working, training, etc. It could help an organization not only financially but also performance-wise in the long term.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a 10 out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner / Integrator
    PagerDuty
    November 2022
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Syed Mohammad Arshad - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vice President - Operations and Client Services at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    It makes it easy to access a support agent via mobile phone.
    • "PagerDuty let us set up rosters based on our shifts. We could assign a hierarchy for how the calls should be escalated and the number of times the call will be transferred between people before it is answered. It makes it easy to access an agent via mobile phone."
    • "PagerDuty should be integrated with other tools, so it can import the IT roster automatically. Our other rules continue to work once they're configured, but the roster must be added manually."

What is our primary use case?

We have a support team consisting of roughly 20 support agents, and we used PagerDuty to raise alerts to people on the roster. It was integrated with our help desk ticketing system and AppDynamics, which we use for application monitoring.

There were rules in place for when AppDynamics generated an alert. For example, if a transaction is slow or something is about to go down, PagerDuty would notify the IT team members to look at the issue.

What is most valuable?

PagerDuty let us set up rosters based on our shifts. We could assign a hierarchy for how the calls should be escalated and the number of times the call will be transferred between people before it is answered. It makes it easy to access an agent via mobile phone.

What needs improvement?

PagerDuty should be integrated with other tools, so it can import the IT roster automatically. Our other rules continue to work once they're configured, but the roster must be added manually.

Every month, someone needs to create those rosters and publish them. It would be great if PagerDuty could pull the rosters from Excel or another tool. We had to maintain rosters at multiple places, which was a duplication of effort. The point of PagerDuty is to automate our systems so that the calls are not missed and all, so it isn't ideal to manually intervene in one aspect each month.

We have used PagerDuty for two-and-a-half years.

I think PagerDuty is more suitable for large enterprises because smaller companies have financial constraints.  Atlassian might be more appropriate for their needs.

I rate PagerDuty support 10 out of 10. The support is knowledgeable and responsive. They set up video calls to walk us through our problems.

Positive

I rate PagerDuty eight out of 10 for ease of setup. It's straightforward. I could easily train a member of my team to handle the administration. It is efficient and easy to use.

I rate PagerDuty eight out of 10 for affordability. It's on the higher side, but there are alternatives on the market.

I was not involved in the selection process. I started working on PagerDuty when it was already finalized. Solutions in that space have similar features, but we get  Atlassian products from the marketplace, so they are more accessible. The only issue we had was that the terms and conditions were a bit stringent on the PagerDuty side for the licensed product.

One of the members from the procurement team was trying to extend some licenses or there was some pricing discussion that was happening that they didn't consider. They were ready to renew, but there was some scenario where then we got a bit angry that they were not listening to what we wanted. I don't remember the exact circumstances.

What other advice do I have?

I rate PagerDuty eight out of 10. I would recommend PagerDuty. It is a nice product, but it depends on your organization's use cases.

Principal Architect at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable, able to expand, and offers good call scheduling
    • "It has scaled well for us."
    • "I am not a direct end user of PagerDuty. It's hard to consider its shortcomings in that sense."

What is our primary use case?

It's mainly for IT call scheduling, emergency contacts, events, and those kinds of things. It's integrated with AWS, MS Teams, Remedy, and other solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, people used to use pagers. Nowadays, nobody wants to carry another device. PagerDuty has replaced that ability to contact somebody in case of emergency without fail. That's how I would characterize it in improving our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature that is used is call scheduling. We are also able actually to call IT folks in the case of an emergency.

I have not heard anything bad about its stability.

It has scaled well for us.

What needs improvement?

The company has been using the solution for two or three years.

I have not seen or heard anything bad about stability, so I would assume no news is good news. My understanding is it is stable.

I would say it is a scalable solution. We initially started with a limited number of licenses and then expanded to much broader usage. We never had any issues scaling as needed.

We have about 1,000 people using the solution right now, although it may have grown to include even more.

I have not seen any requests coming through directly to me regarding increasing the budget allocation for the solution for 2023. If at all, it comes through maybe a later part of 2023. I have not seen any request for an increased budget and therefore do not see us increasing usage in the next little while.

I've never dealt with technical support. I have no experience with them.

We had multiple solutions before PagerDuty. There are still some in use in other parts of the company. For example, there is a tool called Arrcus that is used. We use it for our line technicians and others, however, no longer for IT support.

I did not get involved in the setup. I can't speak to how easy or difficult the process was.

In terms of witnessing an ROI, no one has really done that level of due diligence.

This is a SaaS solution.

The pricing may be about $1,000 per user.

We did a detailed coverage to choose the right solution for us. We tried Everbridge, for example. In the end, we decided to go with PagerDuty.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Michael Blonsky - PeerSpot reviewer
    Devops manager at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Customizable, useful policies, and reliable
    • "The most valuable features of PagerDuty are customization, access, policies, and different rules regarding the path of escalation. Additionally, it's easy to use and create overrides. For example, if you all are on a call for one week each, but somebody wants to go on PTO, the team needs to swap shifts in PagerDuty. This is easy to do by creating overrides to switch up the set schedules. It's very user-friendly in that aspect. It works well for monitoring and alerting."
    • "PagerDuty can improve the integration with Terraform."

What is our primary use case?

We use PagerDuty for alerting and escalations. We have it integrated with our monitoring tools.

How has it helped my organization?

PagerDuty integrates well with many other monitoring applications, it provides us with a centralized view of what can be configured in terms of escalations, and who's on call.

We can control who is going to be notified through PagerDuty. If one team needs to contact another team, we can contact them through PagerDuty to get other teams involved in different incidents.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of PagerDuty are customization, access, policies, and different rules regarding the path of escalation. Additionally, it's easy to use and create overrides. For example, if you all are on a call for one week each, but somebody wants to go on PTO,  the team needs to swap shifts in PagerDuty. This is easy to do by creating overrides to switch up the set schedules. It's very user-friendly in that aspect. It works well for monitoring and alerting.

What needs improvement?

PagerDuty can improve the integration with Terraform.

I have been using PagerDuty for approximately two years.

The stability of PagerDuty is good.

PagerDuty is scalable. They have APIs that are compatible with Amazon web services. You could send alerts directly to PagerDuty from different platforms.

There are a lot of different teams using this solution in my company, such as engineering teams and IT. We have approximately 200 people in the company but not everyone needs to use the solution.

As the company grows we will increase usage.

I have not had the need to contact the vendors.

What other advice do I have?

The solution does not require a lot of maintenance. We integrate PagerDuty with Okta for single sign-ons. If we need to add new users, the associate director and one other person have administrator permission in PagerDuty to add new users. We can integrate those users with Okta, which allows them to log in through Okta.

I recommend PagerDuty to others, it's a good solution, and it works well.

I rate PagerDuty a ten out of ten.

Lead Architect, DevOps at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    Valuable feature allows alerts to be added as services but be prepared for false positives
    • "The solution's most valuable features are that it adds each alert as a service, has good scheduling capabilities, and includes the ability to write logic based on texts."
    • "The solution does not code all alerts correctly so sometimes you get false positives or multiple alerts for the same issue."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution as for log aggregation, scheduling, and filtering out false positives.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable features are that it adds each alert as a service, has good scheduling capabilities, and includes the ability to write logic based on texts.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not code all alerts correctly so sometimes you get false positives or multiple alerts for the same issue.

More adaptive machine-learning logic would help to correlate incidents.

I have been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable with no issues.

The solution is scalable.

We currently have 300 users in our company and plan to increase usage.

Technical support has been good.

I rate support an eight out of ten.

Positive

I previously used OpStream without the tariffs.

The setup is straightforward and there is no real deployment because the solution is ready to operate immediately.

We only need to manage integration to the solution.

I implemented the solution in-house.

Our company has already achieved ROI because different tools can alert to a single system and that is very efficient.

The solution removes the need for multiple systems and handling alerts at each phase.

What other advice do I have?

If you are considering the solution, it is important to have a clear idea of the services you want it to report, a defined service schedule with registration policies, and a filtering plan in place to decrease false positives.

I rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Has alert deduplication and noise reduction for alerts and is stable
    • "Alert deduplication and noise reduction for alerts are the major features that I found useful."
    • "It is a very non-customizable product, so you cannot add things like root cause analysis or the classification of incidents based on the area where you are getting more incidents. For example, if you're getting a lot of database issues, that may be an are you want to probe."

What is our primary use case?

The two major use cases were alerts for events and scheduling of engineers to get pages based on incidents.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It is a very non-customizable product, so you cannot add things like root cause analysis or the classification of incidents based on the area where you are getting more incidents. For example, if you're getting a lot of database issues, that may be an are you want to probe.

There aren't any capabilities to integrate with any problem management issues, like repetitive or high impact issues to deep dive and track them in the PagerDuty system. That is, I would like to see integration of problem management with incident management. That would be one nice feature to have.

It is a stable product.

It's scalable. We had 120 users.

We used Evanios and switched to PagerDuty because deduplication of the alerts was not occurring in Evanios.

The initial setup was not very difficult. It took us about four months to set it up because we were trying to make PagerDuty fit to the best possible use cases that we had. We also had quite a number of alerts to move.

I'd rate the initial setup process at three out of five.

What other advice do I have?

Set your objectives and have a plan regarding your goals, timelines, and what you want to achieve. Figure these out in terms of the implementation of the tool and whether your objectives will be met by the tool.

Overall, I give PagerDuty a rating of eight on a scale from one to ten.

Ayodeji Bayo-Makinde - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Support Engineer at Tek Experts
    It helps us track alerts in our cloud environment, but the user interface could be more intuitive
    • "The initial setup is straightforward."
    • "The user interface could be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to track alerts from our cloud environment and monitor and respond to alerts on our cloud platform.

What is most valuable?

The ease of having it on a mobile phone is valuable. We can always track incidents wherever we are, even away from our computers. Additionally, the escalation feature for incidents to senior engineers or other people is very useful.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be more intuitive. Initially, when we started using it, we had issues viewing some options because we had information issues in my role as an observer, not the responder. Therefore, I couldn't view buttons like acknowledgements because they were not showing up.

We have been using this solution for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Our technical support is not directly from PagerDuty. Instead, it involves us rotating within the teams within the organization.

We previously used Dynamic which is similar to PagerDuty but with more Microsoft resources.

The initial setup is straightforward.

With the number of features we get, I believe it's a handy tool that is worth the money, so it's a great return on investment.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten. The solution is good, but the user interface could be improved. I advise new users to spend time reading documentation or about the type of features to understand how it works and how to set it up.

Download our free PagerDuty Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022