Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series) is the #13 ranked solution in top Wireless LAN tools. PeerSpot users give Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series) an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series) is most commonly compared to Aruba Wireless: Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series) vs Aruba Wireless. Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series) is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the Wireless LAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series)?

Juniper Wireless Access Points work in conjunction with Juniper Mist Cloud Services and Mist AI to deliver premier wireless access capabilities. The Juniper Mist Edge extends microservices to the campus to bring agility and scale while enabling new applications at the edge.

Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series) Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series) pricing:
  • "We pay maybe 1000 SEK per year, per access point."
  • "Juniper Wireless AP's price is a little more expensive than other solutions, but you get what you pay for."
  • Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series) Reviews

Tech Lead Network at Bonniernews
    Easy to use, works well, and simple to deploy remotely
    • "The solution is pretty generic and easy to use."
    • "If you want to do more specific stuff, it's a bit limited."

What is our primary use case?

It's our main WiFi provider. We're a newspaper company in Sweden. It's actually a lot of newspaper brands. We're around a hundred brands. We have around 70 offices in Sweden, all across Sweden. We have it deployed in all the offices. The office sites can vary from one access point all the way up to the biggest one, which has around 150 access points.

What is most valuable?

Our network department isn't that big. Right now, we're two employees and one consultant. Since we don't want to travel all over, we still deploy this. It's really, really, really simple to set up the site in the cloud and then just ship the access point to a local technician, plug it in, and put it up where you like it to be placed.

It works for every one of our offices. The lack of integration or the lack of work needed to be put it into the local site to get it to work is really lovely. The feedback we get from the system with the AI is excellent. It tells you if the issue is a bad cable, or missing a plan, et cetera. All these little things tare mitigating human error.

The solution is pretty generic and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

You can only get so far with it. If you want to do more specific stuff, it's a bit limited. You can alter the channels, and you can alter which bandwidth. However, it stops there. If you want to go deeper in, to do more customization, or have an office with special needs, it can be a bit tricky to get help from Juniper and to get them to do something in the background of the cloud to help.

I’ve been using the solution for two and a half years.

December 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Aruba Networks, Ruckus and others in Wireless LAN. Updated: December 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We really haven't had any downtime at all in these two years. It's been really good. The access point will work without a cloud connection. If they have maintenance or something, it doesn't really matter. Everything works anyway. They're really quick on rebooting, which seldom happens anyway. It's actually really stable.

The solution is scalable. You just keep adding them. I'm not really sure where the limit is, actually. We don't deploy every access point on one site. Maybe it's around 3,000 to 5,000 access points if you're in one site. However, we're quite far from that. You keep adding them. Since it's the cloud controller, they will probably just add stuff in the background if you need more power. Other than that, you're limited to how much power you can output from your switch infrastructure. If you go that way, or with external power - not PoE. With an adapter, you plug into the power circuit connection.

It's been a while since we used them. We used them, in the beginning, a bit. However, they're excellent. They have their own department at Juniper, so it speeds things up a bit. You choose if you want them to be able to access your cloud segment or not. If you choose to allow them in there, it will speed things up for you.

They also have a really nice feature, like a community request page. If you're missing something, you can add a request, and then people vote for it if they like it too. If it gets enough votes, they will implement it, or at least consider it.

The real benefit of it is it doesn't take you long at all to set up actually. You have an app, you scan the QR code on the Access Point, and then you'll say in the app which site you want it to belong to. It will pop up there. You have the usual cloud delay. It's a couple of minutes. However, other than that, it's just set up and go. It’s really quick and easy.

ROI is quite hard to actually calculate. We noted that we could decrease our switch infrastructure to see that there's sufficient power and connectivity for the access points so that there are more people on the WiFi with this solution than the old one.

As with all cloud offerings, you choose a one, two, three, or five-year license, and then you choose between only managing your Access Point or doing WiFi assurance with the AI. It's your own choice in terms of how much licensing money you want to spend on it. That said, it could be a bit cheaper. If you have a lot of access points, it will be a significant amount of money compared to if you have an on-prem solution.

We pay maybe 1000 SEK per year, per access point.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

If you don't have any special needs, you will get there with this solution. However, as soon as you want to do something more customized for an office, or a site, you will need to involve Juniper support in it. For some people, that's fine. For some others, it's not.

You should just consider your environment first to see if WiFi is your sole provider of connectivity in the infrastructure or if it's a compliment. What are your demands on a WiFi solution? Go from there. However, depending on the size of the organization, if it's a smaller organization and not that competent or tech-heavy, it's a perfect solution. It could work if it's a bigger organization with a lot of demands. However, it also might not really be what you're after.

In terms of deployment and maintenance, and stuff like that, it's a nine out of ten. However, in terms of how much you can actually configure in it or how much you can go in-depth, it's a seven. Maybe it’s an eight out of ten all around.

It's really nice. It's really working. However, sometimes you want to add something extra, and it's hard to get it in there. It's not that it takes away any real functionality for us. It's just that we have a really busy environment in one office, and would like to be able to configure it a bit more in detail.

Mark Houtz - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network Engineer at Northeastern Utah Educational Services
    Useful reporting, integrates well, and highly superior support
    • "The most useful feature of Juniper Wireless AP is the reporting Marvis."
    • "Juniper Wireless AP can improve by continually improving its reporting and integration with other systems."

What is our primary use case?

We use Juniper Wireless AP in schools. We have one Juniper Wireless AP covering two classrooms. They are helping kids with their daily connectivity needs in the classroom, such as studying and homework.

How has it helped my organization?

Juniper Wireless AP has allowed my IT directors and other IT personnel to not have to focus on the wireless aspect of our network. It gives us insights into what's going on in the network a lot quicker than previous solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most useful feature of Juniper Wireless AP is the reporting Marvis.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Juniper Wireless Access Points (AP Series) for approximately four years.

Juniper Wireless AP has been stable, it is a fantastic solution.

The scalability of Juniper Wireless AP is great.

We have approximately 5,000 to 6,000 users using the solution. We have everyone in the school using the solution. I work with a bunch of school districts, we have everywhere from kindergarten kids up to principals and superintendents using it, such as teachers, finance, IT, maintenance, and accounting staff.

The solution is extensively being used. We might have some new buildings being built in the future and we'll definitely expand into those.

I rate the support of Juniper Wireless AP a five out of five.

I recently spoke to one of their support engineers to help me with an on-site issue and we solved a major problem that wasn't their fault.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We previously used another solution prior to Juniper Wireless AP and we switched because there were some issues with their support. We had a run-in with some support issues and they were at the end of life with the solution. We needed an upgrade, and we went to an RFP and selected Juniper Wireless AP from the RFP.

The initial setup of Juniper Wireless AP was very straightforward. I had a non-technical person do the setup for one of my schools. The full setup can take approximately

We did the implementation of Juniper Wireless AP in-house. We have approximately two people for the deployment and maintenance of the solution.

I have seen a return on investment using Juniper Wireless AP. It's making my job easier, that's a strong return on investment.

My stakeholders, which are the IT directors and districts, they're having fewer complaints and issues with the network WiFi. The support from Juniper has been amazing. We have seen a substantial return on investment.

I rate the return on investment from Juniper Wireless AP a four out of five.

Juniper Wireless AP's price is a little more expensive than other solutions, but you get what you pay for.

I rate the price of Juniper Wireless AP a three out of five.

We did evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is for them to start with the WiFi solutions and then look at switches, routing, and firewalls because it all integrates very well together. The WiFi is a good place to start, but once you get into one, you see the value in all the others.

I rate Juniper Wireless AP a ten out of ten.

December 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Aharon Bakayev - PeerSpot reviewer
    Networking Infrastructure Manager at Strauss
    Simple, easy to learn, and quick to deploy
    • "The simplicity is great."
    • "I need a bit more time with it before criticizing the features."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to access WiFi.

What is most valuable?

The visibility is good, the controller is very nice, and easy to work with this. The bottom line is it's a good vendor and it's a good solution for WiFi.

The simplicity is great. It's straightforward to learn the solution. It's very easy to understand and the implementation as well.

What needs improvement?

It’s a good solution so far. I haven’t spent so much time with it yet. I need a bit more time with it before criticizing the features.

I’ve used the solution for less than one year - about six months.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn’t crash or freeze. It’s reliable and the performance is good.

The solution is quite scalable. We haven’t had an issue in that regard.

We have about 14,000 users right now. However, maybe only 400 or 500 people are on it. Not everybody is working in this. I'm changing our wireless from other kinds of vendors, including Cisco, and Ruckus. We’re in the process of changing over to Juniper currently.

Our integrator is very good. They help a lot and know exactly what to do.

We also have worked with Cisco and Ruckus.

The implementation is pretty straightforward and simple.

The deployment is generally quick and easy.

We ended up using an integrator.

We negotiated with the pricing. My understanding is that it is reasonable. However, I can’t speak to the exact costs.

What other advice do I have?

I am just a customer and an end-user.

I’m likely using the latest version of the solution.

I'm working with a public cloud and with the controller in the cloud, with Edge on-premises to do security since I'm doing the connection.

I’d advise potential users to do the research to figure out what will work best for them.

I’d rate the solution nine out of ten. We’re pretty happy with it.

Download our free Wireless LAN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Aruba Networks, Ruckus, and more!
    Updated: December 2022