We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

iServer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

iServer is #10 ranked solution in top Architecture Management tools and #18 ranked solution in Business Process Design tools. PeerSpot users give iServer an average rating of 8 out of 10. iServer is most commonly compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect: iServer vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
What is iServer?

iServer is a unified software platform and enterprise modeling environment that extends and enhances the familiar, market leading Microsoft Visio and Office products. Core capabilities provided by iServer include an enhanced Microsoft Visio diagramming interface, a powerful central repository for all enterprise architecture or business process models and documentation, and a range of tools for visualization, analysis and decision making.

Download the Architecture Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

iServer Customers

Barclays, Cathay Pacific, Deloitte, British Gas, MasterCard

iServer Video

iServer Pricing Advice

What users are saying about iServer pricing:
"The licensing is on a yearly basis. We currently work with a standard fee."

iServer Reviews

ICT Architect at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reporting feature and SharePoint integration makes it easier for administrators to upload information for BI
  • "The most valuable features are mainly the reporting side of things and the dashboard."
  • "We found a few issues with importing data and all the manipulation of data, especially when it came to the BI side of things because it utilized a particular template to be able to get certain reports. The user administrators could not manipulate it to get the right reports."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for collecting and housing all information, which has to do with the applications, architecture servers, and the technology, et cetera, and using that to collate course information.

The solution is deployed on cloud. The previous version was on private cloud infrastructure, and now it's the integrated platform as a service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are mainly the reporting side of things and the dashboard. We mostly use those features. We normally collect the data and import it via spreadsheets. Then the data is manipulated and utilized, but it benefits through the BI interface. SharePoint integration makes it easier for our administrators to upload information into the system for the business intelligence side of things.

What needs improvement?

We found a few issues with importing data and all the manipulation of data, especially when it came to the BI side of things because it utilized a particular template to be able to get certain reports. The user administrators could not manipulate it to get the right reports. With iServer 365, they have said that those things were resolved but to fully test it because we only migrated it in late December.

I can't tell you all the defects that we have found within iServer 365, but a major issue was that we won't go to fully customize it without the intervention of the team to do any kind of customization or dashboards. That was our major problem with the old system.

If you're coming from the 2019 on-premise version, the report packs are grouped in the same manner as in the old 365. If they review one pack, the on premise pack, and there are five dashboards in a pack, that same pack would now only have four, or three dashboards in some cases.

The other two that you're missing are now within other dashboard packs that you have to find or you have make switches to find. In that case, I would like them to make it easier to find old dashboards that you would've had configured in the previous system, so at least you can start back from where you last left off, or from a familiar area.

We had five dashboards in one particular application portfolio pack, and when we re-installed the new application portfolio pack, we were missing two, only to find out that those two were now part of a different pack, which we did not have a license for because there is a limited amount of packs available to use. We weren't aware of those types of inconsistencies.

I have been using this solution for two years.

Two months ago, we were using iServer 2019. We recently moved to iServer 365.

The solution seems to be very stable. The older version, which was iServer 2019, had some issues. There was a lot of being locked out of the system. There were some details that we had on the system, and for some reason, everything that we had on the system was deleted. Then we had to get it reinstalled. Within a two day period, we would have ended up losing everything. Those types of things were still problems with the 2019 on-premise version.

They still have that on premise version, so that problem still exists there. The other issue was that with the old version, we were forced to have higher versions of Visio on our desktops within our organization to utilize all the features. That posed a problem because it was not budgeted for at the time.

The scalability is fine. The plan is to have at least 50 users utilizing it.

It wasn't that complex, but for us, support did most of all the work. That's what made it very easy for us. They did everything from migrations to the whole configuration, based on our needs.

For deployment, we only needed one person. I was just the liaison between the company in terms of getting data from our company and giving it to iServer support to get it onto the system itself. We didn't need a lot of employees from our end for that.

The licensing is on a yearly basis. We currently work with a standard fee.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

I would say to understand what you really want to put into the system, in terms of what features you want because it becomes pricey after implementation when there are different consultation fees. If you would like to add a particular feature later on that wasn't thought of at the time, it definitely becomes a little more expensive, and that's where we had a problem with InVision 2019.

We were missing one particular feature, and adding that feature meant a 10 hour consultation fee, which was a third of the price of the entire implementation. It was cheaper for us to go with iServer 365, where we would get a free consultation and it had that feature we were missing.

Really understand what features you want at the start so that you can better utilize your consultation time.

Mohamed-Salah
Digital Transformation Expert at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable with the potential to scale and integrates well with Microsoft
  • "The solution has wide use within Microsoft products. The integration with Microsoft products, and, in particular, Microsoft Office, is great."
  • "The migration tool needs to be included in the main package, and not as a separate license."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used for technology architecture. Clients need to model infrastructure network solutions that they have. There is no focus on business modeling.

What is most valuable?

The solution has wide use within Microsoft products. The integration with Microsoft products, and, in particular, Microsoft Office, is great.

What needs improvement?

It's a very simple tool, which makes me concerned with the performance. Performance is an issue for us because it takes a long time to load the document. It's a big issue.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The stability of the solution is okay. The performance is a question, however, largely, it's stable.

The solution can scale well. However, I worry about scaling due to the fact that the performance of the solution is generally poor. Once they solve the performance issues, I have no doubt scaling will be much better.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past. We found them to be highly responsive. They're very good. We've been satisfied with their level of service.

I have tried different solutions other than iServer. I've tried Avolution ABACUS. I've tried Sparx. I've tried Visual ParadigmiServer was well. This is based on these tools, especially how it converts things to components, and how the components are related to each other. This type of tool here in my country is particularly useful because there are not many projects taking advantage of its usage here. There is very big potential when using this tool.

The main difference between all of these solutions and iServer is the integration with Microsoft Office. Many users are using Microsoft Office Visio in terms of modeling. It's very easy to integrate or migrate what they have to the solution.

It's also very simple. It's simpler than Avolution and Sparx, with a lot of reference architecture being within the solution, and a lot of templates ready to go.

The initial setup is quite complex.

The complexity is mainly in terms of installation and installing the web portal in particular. It requires a lot of consideration at the beginning. After that, it's easier. At the beginning of the configuration, however, its challenging.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. I work with the product, however, I am not a customer.

We typically deal with the on-premises deployment model as our clients aren't well-versed in the cloud just yet.

I'd advise that those who wish to implement the solution ensure they are well trained on it beforehand.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the performance was better, I would rate it much higher.

Find out what your peers are saying about Orbus Software, Sparx Systems, MEGA International and others in Architecture Management. Updated: January 2022.
565,304 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Architect at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very flexible and user friendly with pre-use training program provided
  • "The solution is easily modified to suit your needs."
  • "It runs relatively slowly."

What is our primary use case?

My work is business applications and I'm currently dealing with an infrastructure architecture project. iServer is an enabler for me to deliver value and information. I'm an enterprise architect and a user of this product.

What is most valuable?

This solution is valuable for me in the sense that I can get at the behavior of the application, modify it, and get it to do what I need it to do, and get clients to understand the challenges and opportunities. Most other solutions require a lot of programming but I use Microsoft Visual Basic, so it simplifies things further.

What needs improvement?

I'd like the solution to run more quickly than it does.

I've been using this solution for close to five years.

I think iServer is very scalable, it's built on Microsoft components and is generally used by application, solution, enterprise and business architects.

They provide excellent technical support.

I have previously used IBM Rational System Architect, but that solution is no longer on the market.

The initial setup doesn't require too much manpower and only takes a couple of hours. One of the positives is that they will only provide support once training has been completed. Without that, installation and setup can't be carried out. They know that it's not an easy out-of-the-box implementation. Following training, implementation is a matter of following the script.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution. It's best to start small and grow from there. I work primarily in Ottawa with the government of Canada, and I think iServer is pretty high on their list because it integrates with Microsoft and they have a cloud-first strategy.

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Solution Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
A flexible and simple tool with a good modeling language
  • "This is a flexible tool compared to some other solutions."
  • "The performance is slow, which is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use iServer as an enterprise architecture tool.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the language used for architecture modeling.

This tool is simple to use.

This is a flexible tool compared to some other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The performance is slow, which is something that should be improved.

Implementing business processes could be improved.

I would like to see a map of all of the processes drawn automatically. You can do it now but you need to do it manually.

I have been using iServer for about one year.

The stability is pretty good. iServer is used on an occasional basis.

This solution is easy to scale. However, scalability is dependent on multiple things.

Our organization is a large enterprise-level company.

I have been in touch with technical support and the service is fine.

Prior to this solution, we used IBM System Architect. iServer provides greater flexibility.

The vendor assisted with our implementation and deployment.

We have an in-house team that takes care of maintenance.