BrowserStack OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BrowserStack is the #13 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give BrowserStack an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. BrowserStack is most commonly compared to Perfecto: BrowserStack vs Perfecto. BrowserStack is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
BrowserStack Buyer's Guide

Download the BrowserStack Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is BrowserStack?
BrowserStack is a cloud-based cross-browser testing tool that enables developers to test their websites across various browserson different operating systems and mobile devices, without requiring users to install virtual machines, devices or emulators.
BrowserStack Customers
Microsoft, RBS, jQuery, Expedia, Citrix, AIG
BrowserStack Video

Archived BrowserStack Reviews (more than two years old)

KenBailey - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Engineer at Projekt202
Test against a huge range of device and browser combinations but expect some connectivity issues
  • "Testing across devices and browsers without maintaining that inventory is invaluable."
  • "The product guides and resources are extensive and very helpful."
  • "Local testing for products with no public exposure is an advantage in development."
  • "Connectivity can sometimes mar the testing experience."

What is our primary use case?

A lot of times we use BrowserStack because we provide QA services to our clients as part of a bigger solution. We do software consulting. We use it to test across mobile devices — actual mobile devices — so that we do not have to maintain our own collection of devices. Trying to do that would be just crazy for us because there are so many devices and so many potential combinations. We test against different combinations of operating systems, browsers, and versions of browsers. For example, we continue to test IE 11, even though that is painful for a lot of our development team. Unfortunately, we still have to support it for a lot of clients. We use BrowserStack for cross-browser testing to assure compatibility.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to test our development against a huge range of product combinations that we could not realistically maintain in house. It really adds to our core capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Just the ability to test across devices is probably the most valuable feature. For example, a website that we might be building out has to be responsive. Our initial design may work on some devices, but then in testing with BrowserStack we find that it does not work on all of them. So it reveals what we need to include in recommendations for our clients. From a practical standpoint, that could be letting them know what devices we might want to support or not support any longer.

The other thing that we had to do — because some clients have their test environment secured — is to use the product's local testing abilities as a workaround. That feature lets you test web and mobile apps without hosting them on publicly. To be able to do that and provide the workaround is a pretty good feature.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes connectivity can be a problem. We will be in the middle of testing and we will lose connectivity sometimes. That is the biggest issue that I have seen. That is a stability issue within BrowserStack, not an issue with services.

I have thought about features I would like to see included in the next release of the BrowserStack. I do not know if it is even possible to support this or not. Being able to test GPS within applications would be useful for us. What I mean by that is being able to do real-time testing based on your location. I do not know if BrowserStack could support that in emulations in a future release. Being able to emulate GPS positions during testing would be valuable for what we do and the clients we serve. For example, if we are doing something and need to do QA for a rideshare or delivery service the GPS testing would come into play.

BrowserStack
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about BrowserStack. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been dealing with BrowserStack for about four years.

Overall, I think the stability is good. It is a tried and true product. I think they are the leader in this category of products. Part of it is the price. The other part of the reason they are leading is because of the performance. We have had some issues with the connectivity, which is a stability problem, but it is not generally an issue.

I believe this product is quite scalable. One thing we have not done with our version of BrowserStack is to use it for automated testing yet. Because we are using a client's solution for a particular job I am working on, we are going to be using Perfecto in that case. Both Perfecto and BrowserStack offer the ability to perform automated testing across devices. So that is something we are definitely going to be checking into with some interest in the near future and that is another way to scale usage.

Our company has a lot of different clients. With the particular one that I am assigned to, we are going to be building additional teams if everything goes well. It is a large client, or it has the potential to be a very large client. With that in mind, we are looking to add more teams and that would include using additional QA resources. As we build that up right now, we are willing to make important decisions. What we are using will need to be scalable when we add more users. Whatever we need to do over the next two or three years to meet those demands is what we are going to do.

So far when I have had an issue, I have been able to go into BrowserStack's online documentation resource and find the answers pretty clearly. Because of that, I have not had to contact tech support. I think their knowledge base is pretty extensive.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It is pretty easy to follow the product guides and set it up properly.

They have different pricing plans for BrowserStack. We are looking to grow our presence with a particular client quite a bit. With that in mind, we are going to be adding a lot more teams and users so we looked into competitive pricing. For BrowserStack, the pricing for 25 users is similar to the pricing for 10 users on Perfecto. At the end of the day, our cost per user would be significantly higher using Perfecto versus BrowserStack. I can not say what the exact price is. BrowserStack is an expensive solution as well, but it is certainly a more cost-effective solution than competing products. The price per user license is lower. At least that is what we are seeing.

We have not actually done it yet but we are going to be working in a situation where a client already has Perfecto and we will be using that for testing for a product. It will be a great opportunity to check into the product differences.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone looking into BrowserStack and products like it is to really do some research into the products you want to use. Our company looked to our team of QA personnel to evaluate other products. At the end of the day, they came back and said that most of the competing products in the category did not meet all the needs we have. BrowserStack continues to be the leader as far as meeting the needs of our QA team.

During the research, we looked for reports on the review sites, the recommendations people were making, and whatever feedback we could find from real users. Certainly, it is important for us to try and be exhaustive in researching before we make any recommendation and the investment that goes along with committing to a product. We have to make sure the product is going to absolutely meet our needs. We do not want to waste time picking the wrong product for the job.

From the research that we did, I was looking to see the overall percentages of recommendations. I think BrowserStack showed that it was more widely used across the industry than Perfecto. I think they are both similar offerings, but BrowserStack systems just seem to be the clear, popular choice. A lot of that is probably just that their pricing model is more favorable.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the BrowserStack as probably a seven-out-of-ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Shekhar Kapil - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Lead at Nagarro
Easy to set up and has good stability
  • "The setup was quite simple. The website easily explains how to set it up and if you want to integrate it with BMP tools there are online simple step tutorials."
  • "I would like for there to be more integration with BrowserStack and other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We switched to BrowserStack because we didn't have enough devices so we moved to a cloud-based solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like for there to be more integration with BrowserStack and other platforms. One of our clients had Ranorex which is a solution that has a problem with automation on regional devices. It also provides record and play functionalities. Our client proposed integration with BrowserStack but it's not available. I would like for both web applications to be linked. There should be a solution for mobile-based automation.

It's very stable.

I have contacted technical support two or three times. They are good but I don't understand the hierarchy. They initially answer with some documentation and then they escalate it. There should be the option to schedule a call with them because people can't always find the solution through the documentation. I would like for them to have direct calls with their clients.

The setup was quite simple. The website easily explains how to set it up and if you want to integrate it with BPM tools there are online simple step tutorials.

The deployment takes around two weeks.

For small scale projects with 200-500 test cases involved, it is costly. But if it's a large project then it is much cheaper than purchasing real devices.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten considering how easy it is to set up.

They should improve the query resolution.

It is a good tool. We have multiple products that use it for automation.

BrowserStack
December 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user379608 - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Operations Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
We were able to connect to our web-application without much additional configuration.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature was that it was very easy to connect to our web-application without much additional configuration. So we could do very quick checks to get fast feedback.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us a lot to accomplish our testing related goals and helped to provide better service to our customer, but I don’t think that it changed our organization functioning that much.

What needs improvement?

I would like application performance improvement to be better as, for me, it looked a bit slow. For example, loading one page sometime took 10-15 seconds.

Maybe about a year. We didn’t use it permanently, but from time to time when we needed to check how does UI look in different browsers.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

The application was very self-explanatory so I didn’t have to ask for technical support.

This was recommended and tried first by my colleague. I may have used some different solutions previously but I don’t recall them.

There was no set-up as it is web application. You just open the page and connect it to our server.

This was done by my colleague, I just got a user account from him.

What other advice do I have?

We needed to test our application in different browsers and BrowserStack had all the configurations we needed. There were some small issues though, but they haven’t prevented us from using the product. I think that product was easy to use. It was fast to start with it and didn’t need any additional technical knowledge.

it_user371391 - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Offshore Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It has support for the automation of web applications designed with Selenium and Java.

Valuable Features:

The product support for different OS and mobile devices is awesome. Most importantly, it has support for Automation of web application designed with Selenium and Java. With few configuration set up , we can able to execute automation scripts without any difficulty.

Improvements to My Organization:

We are in the process of execution of our Automation scripts on different OS and devices. BrowserStack has given us an opportunity to validate on different mobile devices versions without much difficulty.

Room for Improvement:

Though, it has great build in functions and support , we found there is a room for improvement mainly.

The real challenges I noticed when I ran few tests with Test NG :

• Unable to see the remote view while testing on real iOS devices - when we run the automation scripts, we do not see the real execution on mobile devices in a snapshot view but at the moment we only see text and visual logs for these devices.
  • File upload to run tests on mobile devices (real iOS devices, iOS simulators (iPhoneDriver) - upload a local file from local machine while executing the test. This functionality is only supported on the desktop browsers.
  • BrowserStack does not support file upload for automation - the WebDriver used to run tests on mobile devices (real iOS devices in beta (Appium), iOS simulators (iPhoneDriver) and Android emulators (AndroidDriver)) do not support this feature. Thus, we are not be able to test file uploads on mobile devices.

Other Advice:

I would advise you to try the product using the trial version and validate your functionality with different devices to check the set-up time, stability and in built functions support.

Don Ingerson - PeerSpot reviewer
Don IngersonQA Automation Engineer at Precise Circuits, Inc.
ExpertTop 5Consultant

Arif,
Thank you for the clarification.
Regards,
Don

it_user371469 - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It makes it possible to verify my product in all the latest devices and different OS's.

What is most valuable?

I like the resolution of virtual browsers. Also running Javascript for autorun speed is superb.

How has it helped my organization?

As per my experience, we are not suppose to bound our product with particular devices/OS. BrowserStack makes it possible to verify my product in all latest devices and different OS.

What needs improvement?

I used it for a week an half. As I used it for compatibility testing only. I used it for mobile browsers as well as desktop browsers for different OS.

Sometimes the mobile devices can crash. But not I'm not sure about the particular steps to generate this issue.

Hats off to their Customer Service. For automation set up, I call them multiple times, but they are very supportive.

I had some other options for cross browser testing, but I found this product easy to use.

Initial set-up is easy, but if you start with automation, it's bit confusing and I found it tough to set-up. I required help from developers.

Initial setup is easy, but if you start with automation, its bit confusing and I found it tough to setup. I required help from developers.

A step to great quality

What other advice do I have?

For UI testing it is easy to use. But for automation perspective, configuration is lil bit confusing for the first time user. They are doing great job by maintaining the performance of this product.

Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to share screenshots instantly, but it's not widely used enough by companies that could benefit from it.

Valuable Features:

SPEED! Very fast, every browser, everything you need.

Improvements to My Organization:

Sharing screenshots instantly and having quick, reliable VMs.

Room for Improvement:

Maybe advertise more? I know there are companies out there that would benefit greatly from your products.

Download our free BrowserStack Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022