IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Pega Robotic Process Automation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pega Robotic Process Automation is #8 ranked solution in best RPA tools. PeerSpot users give Pega Robotic Process Automation an average rating of 8 out of 10. Pega Robotic Process Automation is most commonly compared to UiPath: Pega Robotic Process Automation vs UiPath. Pega Robotic Process Automation is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
Pega Robotic Process Automation Buyer's Guide

Download the Pega Robotic Process Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Pega Robotic Process Automation?

With Pega Robotic Process Automation (RPA), organizations can automate the mundane, tedious, time-consuming, manual work that is hampering productivity and efficiency. Whether adjudicating claims, onboarding customers or employees, reconciling financials, updating customer information in systems record, Pega RPA can manage the work across your enterprise.

Pega Robotic Process Automation was previously known as Pega RPA, OpenSpan.

Pega Robotic Process Automation Customers
eBay Enterprise, M&I Bank

Archived Pega Robotic Process Automation Reviews (more than two years old)

Joe  Karlovich - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Business Automation Support Developer at TIAABANK
Helpful access to the .net framework, and very stable, but difficult to set up
  • "The most valuable aspect for myself was access to the .net framework. If I couldn't figure something out using the objects that they had provided, I could bring in the .net objects and do so using similar logic that I would in a .net or C sharp coding language. Having that familiarity was helpful."
  • "Pega has a no-code low-code environment. We do everything based on established rules. You kind-of have to learn how all their rules work and how it works for robotics before you can use the solution effectively."

What is our primary use case?

Here at the bank, there's a fraud investigation unit team. If they discover fraud on an account, they have to put restrictions on the banking account and/or credit cards, depending on what type of fraud it is. They also alert the end-user (or our associates) that there's a fraud on the account. After that, transfer calls are made to FIU. From our end, alerts would be sent out to different systems including the banking deposit and the credit card system as well as our main CRM. Restrictions and alerts would be set up on the accounts to make sure everyone knows there was fraud detected.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect for myself was access to the .net framework. If I couldn't figure something out using the objects that they had provided, I could bring in the .net objects and do so using similar logic that I would in a .net or C sharp coding language. Having that familiarity was helpful.

What needs improvement?

Pega's main drawback was that you have to go and install their platform and their platform is meant to be their main selling point with robotics just a small part of what they do. It's the platform and the overhead that requires so much extra training and costs. In contrast, Automation Anywhere is just simple to control and all about the bots.  Pega has a no-code low-code environment. We do everything based on established rules. You kind-of have to learn how all their rules work and how it works for robotics before you can use the solution effectively.If Pega built out the robot manager side a little bit more (so you didn't have to learn the ins and outs of their Pega rules) that would be ideal. They have this robot manager application that sits on top of the Pega platform and it does most of what you need it to do. However, there are some initial steps that do need to be set up inside of the solution, or even inside workflow items. That way, I'm just learning how to use the space.

We started the contract with Pega in March of 2019.
Pega Robotic Process Automation
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Pega Robotic Process Automation. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is rather stable. I didn't run into any issues where I couldn't automate anything. In terms of automating the solution, I think they do a great job. Once we got the platform up and running, we didn't have any issues. There were no bugs and glitches. There were no crashes. It was reliable.

The ability to scale really depends on how you build it. It's my understanding that you can build them in a scalable way. You can do that for most of these RPA technologies, however, how you build it depends on how scalable they are.

We had the most issues with the platform side of the solution. If it was regarding a technical issue or if I had issues related to automating something, technical support was pretty good, but on the platform side, I would say they were not the best.

Technically, we are using both Pega and Automation Anywhere as we work through company mergers. Pega never made it through to production. We're trying to get everything regarding AA set up, which has been a little bit tricky at the moment because we're trying to use the other company's control room. Due to this, we're on a different domain since we're technically two different companies and they don't necessarily set up with two different companies. We're working on getting access to everything on the other company's side, and getting through the firewall and tasks of that nature. We're chipping away at a bunch of different issues.

The initial setup is a bit complex. The deployment took a while to execute. It wasn't as simple as some of the other options that we had been looking at.

We handled the implementation ourselves, although we did originally was to have someone assist. Our funding was cut, and we didn't get outside assistance, which hurt us during implementation.

What other advice do I have?

In the past, we had an RPA solution set up with Pega. Then our company got bought out. The other company was using Automation Anywhere, so we are in the midst of transitioning Automation Anywhere.  We have platforms paid for by the different entities right now. Before we could get Pega really started, the company that bought us kind of squashed it. We got it up and running and installed. However, I haven't developed an entire solution on it yet due to the changes in our organization. With Pega, there are two different parts: the platform and the actual automation software. In terms of the versions we're using, I believe the automation software is called OpenSpan and is 19.1 and the platform is 8.1. In terms of advice, I would give to users considering using Pega, I'd caution to make sure you get an outside contractor that knows what they're doing. We had something on the books for that. Then, due to budget cuts, there was a hiring freeze, so that never got implemented. That definitely hurt the implementation of the project. I would give the solution a seven out of ten. It wasn't bad at automating. It was just a little complicated to implement.
Senior Manager - Business Excellence at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and scalable with the ability to create adapters quickly
  • "The solution's ability to create adapters quickly is its most valuable feature."
  • "The OCR capabilities of the solution could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for automation in all areas of our organization.

What is most valuable?

The solution's ability to create adapters quickly is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The OCR capabilities of the solution could be improved.

The ability to call different website services from the server would be helpful.

The solution should offer integration with applications in Citrix.

I've been using the solution for one and a half years.

The solution is relatively stable. We haven't had too many technical issues.

The solution is fairly scalable.

Currently, we have more than a thousand users on the solution. We use it every day.

We have never contacted technical support. If we face any issues, we typically go through our consultants who can assist our team.

We didn't previously use a different solution. It's the only RPA we have had experience with.

The initial setup was straightforward. We didn't face any difficulties with the implementation.

Deployment took six months.

We used a consultant to assist our technical team with the deployment.

We haven't paid for anything above the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is relatively stable and we find it a good product. The only drawback which we found is a lack of OCR capabilities, which we'll need other software to cover for us.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Pega Robotic Process Automation
June 2022
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RPA Lead Architect and Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Good lookup tables and configuration tables, and can be easily updated on other machines
  • "The most valuable features are the loops to lookup tables to read the data."
  • "You cannot use a two-dimensional array to read the data."

What is our primary use case?

We provide services to our clients. We have a website with monthly and daily runs in which we extract the information. Depending on the account types from the different screens on the website, we add it to an Excel spreadsheet. There is a comparison between the months to see how many are added and how many have removed the products. Once the comparison has been completed we create a comparative report and publish it to the respective stakeholders.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the loops to lookup tables to read the data.

As it is a Java-based website, there have been several trial and error runs to get the exact match rules.

We develop a normal web adaptor, not an unusual web adaptor.

Another feature that we like is the configuration tables.

What needs improvement?

There is no two-dimensional lookup table implemented. There is one dimension then to a single dimension. You cannot use a two-dimensional array to read the data.

First, you have to read the rows, then go to the columns, then repeat the rows from the columns. You have to write a simple C# script for this to work.

In the next release, I would like to see a better UI with the latest features to design and develop faster.

I have been familiar with this solution for two years.

There has been integration with a robotic manager and when patches are created and released, they can easily be deployed to new machines. This is a very good feature compared to other tools, where they have to be done on the spectrum machines immediately. With this solution, we have the choice to delay the deployment of patches to particular machines.

I have contacted technical support several times. The delay in response time is within eight hours, but that could be because of the regional differences. Also, it may be that there are a lot of tickets being raised.

Overall, we are satisfied with the technical support.

Previously, I worked with Blue Prism. Blue Prism and Pega Robotics are at the same level when it comes to implementation and development.

With Blue Prism the consistency of the reports outputs the UI failed most of the time. We had to go through to ensure that everything was correct. With Pega Robotics, once we integrated it will work with any machines after deployment until there is a change. It is more consistent than Blue Prism.

Initially, the setup is straightforward. With the upgrade to the new version 19.1, there were some challenges with the configuration files, the common config, the studio config, and the runtime configs.

When we work on a project we go on the config and look at the 19.1 version, but normally it was a simple set up.

I took one hour to set up the Pega Robotics.

It comes as a package, not an individual license. Other solutions have better licensing terminology.

Pega Robotics mostly work with Fortune 500 companies.

Individualized licenses are available, but most, are as an integrated package. There are supported add-ons for legacy application integration that are used with Pega Robotics.

What other advice do I have?

I think that they are improving the IDE with the new and latest features that will help to do things in a faster way.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Ahmed Emad - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior RPA Engineer at BBI-Consultancy
Robots save time and customer support calls have become much easier
  • "The most valuable feature of Pega Robotic Process Automation is the technique: you can create a user interface that can interact with a human being for attended robots."
  • "Pega Robotic Process Automation can improve the OGR area. You don't have a feature to read documents in computer voices."

What is our primary use case?

I use Pega Robotic Process Automation for the telecom industry. I use it for checking compliance, financial processes and HR processes.

How has it helped my organization?

Pega Robotic Process Automation makes it easy with metrics. Robots save time. Handling customer calls became much easier.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user Interface. You can create a user interface that can interact with a human being for attended robots and that will optimize, for example, customer service processes by simplifying the desktop and the screens they need to use from different systems.

What needs improvement?

Pega Robotic Process Automation can improve the OCR area. They don't have a powerful OCR engine to read documents or files like other tools.

I have been using Pega Robotic Process Automation for around three years now.

For the stability of Pega, I rate it an 8 out of 10.

Scalability is a process, but I would rate the product at 7 out of 10. We are around five tech developers. It's easy to deploy. You don't need much of a team to deploy Pega. You just need to install the .exe and everything will go just fine.

Pega tech support is not good enough. They have a form to speak to a representative. If I have a problem, I just post it. If someone else has the same problem, they can tell me how to solve it.

The technical support is probably unique or related to a specific system. It will be for resolving a big problem.

The initial setup of Pega RPA was easy.

The deployment took just half an hour. I did it by myself.

In RPA every tool is different than the others. You need to understand the process it self to decide which tool you can use and get the best results.

What other advice do I have?

Pega Robotic Process Automation is easy. If you're a developer, it's a good tool to start with building bots. Overall, I can give it seven out of ten.

it_user437040 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It helped cut short the release cycle by almost 40% compared to the previous solution. It is still a niche skill and resources are scarce in the market.
    • "It helped cut short the release cycle by almost 40% compared to the previous solution.​"
    • "​It is a good and matured solution."
    • "Pega is also broadening its landscape by building on top of PRPC (CRM, EPC, etc.), and with a cloud offering available, it is a genuine contender to compete with Salesforce."
    • "The way integration classes are created could be improved."
    • "Rule versioning and deployment to enable parallel development could still be improved​"
    • "It is still a niche skill and resources are scarce in the market unless big IT companies are involved."

What is our primary use case?

I used the product for around 2 years at a major customer in the European region.

How has it helped my organization?

1. DCO methodology helped reduce the development time. We could discuss the UI layout with the business users during requirement phases.
    2. It helped cut short the release cycle by almost 40% compared to the previous solution.

What is most valuable?

The case management and UI capabilities were the most valuable, though the integration capabilities were also quite useful. We also liked the DCO methodology as it reduced the build effort because some of the development (flow) was created during req and design phases.

What needs improvement?

1. The way integration classes are created could be improved.
    2. At the time when I worked, XML anyType was not supported.
    3. Rule versioning and deployment to enable parallel development could still be improved

We did not encounter any issues, but it is because Pega helped in defining the capacity sizing upfront. Also, the phases in which the program was executed meant that the load on Pega PRPC was slowly increased instead of a big bang. Continuous monitoring and capacity planning further helped.

We, along with the Pega support team, carefully planned the rollout. Once fully functional, we did not face any issues.

Initially, there were some issues, but it was resolved in time to help the client reap the benefits. Pega did provide good resources, timely resolution, and guidance in development (after initial teething problem).

The client used WebMethods OMS, but it was at distinct version which was fully customised. There was no support as well, and it did not fulfill the required needs of the client, hence the change. After evaluating a few options, Pega was selected.

The setup was straightforward as the team working with Pega support was quite competitive.

I was not involved in licensing and pricing, but it is worth the cost.

We evaluated a couple of options.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good, mature robotic process automation solution. Pega is also broadening its landscape by building on top of PRPC (CRM, EPC, etc.), and with a cloud offering available, it is a genuine contender to compete with Salesforce.

There is one downside though. It is still a niche skill and resources are scarce in the market unless big IT companies are involved. On the other side, involving trusted partners helps get the required talent pool as well as accelerators.

Download our free Pega Robotic Process Automation Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022