Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

PagerDuty OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

PagerDuty is #1 ranked solution in top IT Alerting and Incident Management tools. PeerSpot users give PagerDuty an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. PagerDuty is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: PagerDuty vs ServiceNow. PagerDuty is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the IT Alerting and Incident Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is PagerDuty?

PagerDuty is an agile incident management solution that integrates with ITOps and DevOps monitoring stacks to improve operational reliability and agility. From enriching and aggregating events to correlating them into actionable alerts, PagerDuty streamlines the incident management lifecycle by reducing noise and resolution times. With hundreds of native integrations with operations tools, automated scheduling, advance reporting and guaranteed availability, PagerDuty is trusted by over 7,000 organizations globally to increase business and employee efficiency. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading venture capital firms Andreessen Horowitz, Bessemer Venture Partners, Baseline Ventures, Ignition Partners and others. To try PagerDuty for free, or to get more information, visit www.pagerduty.com.

PagerDuty Customers

40% of the Fortune 100 TrustPagerDuty. Customers include: Slack, Intuit, Zendesk, Panasonic, Pinterest, Airbnb, eHarmony, McKesson, Comcast

PagerDuty Video

Archived PagerDuty Reviews (more than two years old)

VP of Engineering at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Helps with managing schedules, escalating issues, and adding people to an instance, but licensing is not flexible enough
  • "The most valuable feature is definitely the flexibility of the schedule. The mobile app is quite also good for what we do: for receiving alerts, acknowledging, assigning, adding new responders. It has rich features for our needs."
  • "The solution's analytics are okay. I don't think the features, at this point, give you a lot of insights. We have actually been trying to get insights from it but it hasn't really given us a lot of extra points to explore. We were looking at the number of alerts to see where many of the alerts were coming from. We never managed to get many insights on this."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it for our on-call engineers, for schedules, alerting, and critical alerts. And, of course, we use it for the management of an issue, so that people acknowledge the alerts, reassign them, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

PagerDuty enables us to implement well-known techniques for on-call. It helps with managing schedules, being able to escalate issues, and being able to add people to an instance. It enables us to have multiple levels of people on-call, in a simple way. Otherwise, managing those schedules, offline, would be quite hard. Having a tool like PagerDuty to support us from that standpoint is really key, so that we can perform well when we have issues.

The fact that it doesn't have maintenance windows is definitely something that is really key. It was a key element in our choice. Having maintenance windows for a monitoring system is just not acceptable. The impact is that we really trust PagerDuty. There were situations where a specific alert didn't reach PagerDuty. We looked into finding the reason elsewhere, and not in PagerDuty, because we really trust that PagerDuty, when it catches an alert, will actually deliver it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is definitely the flexibility of the schedule.

The mobile app is quite also good for what we do: for receiving alerts, acknowledging, assigning, adding new responders. It has rich features for our needs.

The alerting functionality is quite good. It is one of the key parts of our on-call process, so that people can react when things are not working as expected. We trust it a lot. It definitely works well. We have never missed alerts or had situations in which we felt that we could not trust the alerting functionality of PagerDuty. Alerts in our environment could be caused by a specific part of the platform not running right. If a database goes down, for example, we will get an alert. There could also be errors in an application or a particular zone of infrastructure is down, or if service-level objectives are being affected for some reason. In all these cases, we will get alerts.

What needs improvement?

The solution's analytics are okay. I don't think the features, at this point, give you a lot of insights. We have actually been trying to get insights from it but it hasn't really given us a lot of extra points to explore. We were looking at the number of alerts to see where many of the alerts were coming from. We never managed to get many insights on this. The solution has not enabled us to go beyond responding to incidents and to start predicting or preventing them.

It would help if they simplified the way you try to get insights or information about instances and to improve your situation regarding the groupings of alerts.

Even if there are a lot of different functionalities, a lot of prediction abilities in place, it's not really clear what the best practices are for using PagerDuty to get the best out of the platform. The concepts are quite complex, at times, for people to understand. They need a more straightforward way to use the product and get the best out of it. With all the concepts of escalation, services, and the schedule, it gets confusing.

IT Alerting and Incident Management
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about PagerDuty, Atlassian, Everbridge and others in IT Alerting and Incident Management. Updated: September 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using PagerDuty for one year. I joined this company a year ago and it was already using it.

The stability is very good. If I remember correctly, we have only had one incident with PagerDuty over the whole period that I have been using it. I also used PagerDuty at my previous company. My experience is that it is a very stable platform.

There are also no bugs in the apps, in my experience. It is a very high-quality product.

It's a SaaS.

But in my previous company and also here, I see the cost of the platform as an impediment to scaling this from a small team to the whole company. But for the platform itself, we don't have to manage anything in terms of scaling.

We have about 100 people working with PagerDuty — mostly engineers. It is used across all the different engineering teams. The adoption rate is 100 percent.

We have used their technical support once. It was okay. I don't think we managed to get to the bottom of the issue we were having, but it ended up that it was not that critical at that point, so we just let it go.

In my previous company we used a home-grown system before PagerDuty.

I was involved in the initial setup of PagerDuty in my previous company. Depending on how big your deployment — how many services you want, how many teams — it can get complex. But in general, it's simple.

What is complex is to go from using PagerDuty as an instance manager and as a pager, to getting to the next level and the advantages that PagerDuty sells a lot: intelligence, analytics; the extra functionality that they add. That functionality comes with a high price. For me, that is the complex part. It's not the start, rather the hard part is to really get the most out of what PagerDuty offers.

The return of investment is from how quickly we engage our teams, meaning that we don't waste time and money. It has returned the price that we pay, but the price is high.

A con, a failure, is the cost which is quite high. But if you want to get a full-featured application and you have a big team...

Some important features are closed to a group because of the licensing. For example, one of the features that I always wanted to use but never managed to is the postmortem part of PagerDuty. To me, it is important that everyone in the organization be able to read any postmortem that is produced. PagerDuty only allows you to share it with people who have accounts. It doesn't have different levels of accounts. There is only a complete account and you have to pay for it.

You really need to understand what feature functionality you want from the solution and then see what the cost-benefit is for what you want to achieve. We tried the stakeholder licenses, but we ended up never using them. They don't have a lot of flexibility on that. It's almost like one type of licensing or nothing.

We have done some investigation internally, but nothing really serious. We looked at Opsgenie and VictorOps. We didn't see a reason to change. We trust PagerDuty.

The main pro, of course, of PagerDuty is that it is a full-featured application, with high trust. Many companies use it, big companies that trust it. This is definitely a big plus.

One of the reasons we stayed with PagerDuty was, of course, trust, but we also see the value of the added functionality that PagerDuty gives us. But if you don't get to use those — the things that are the differentiator for PagerDuty — then the cost starts to be quite high. You need to be completely in to be able to get the full advantage of PagerDuty. Competitors will give you a little bit less functionality, fewer luxury functions, but the cost is more accessible for the feature set that you really use.

What other advice do I have?

From the get-go, approach it in a way where you can get the most out of it. Really engage with PagerDuty from the beginning to support you on that journey. Otherwise, you will only be able to use the core functionalities that you can also get from the competition. Focus on the full platform and make the decisions that will simplify that. Don't do quick wins at the beginning that will not help you to take full advantage of the platform.

PagerDuty worked with us to find the right solution that fit our needs and budget, but they didn't do so as much as I would expect or as much as I would have liked. At some point we asked, "How can you help? How can we get the most out of PagerDuty?" We had some ideas and we engaged with their Professional Services, but the cost of that was quite high. It ended up that we never did what we wanted to do with PagerDuty. It got stuck at some point. They did help but we would need to pay even more to get the help that we need.

It's really key to manage your operations life cycle. You cannot go without having something in place. And it's important to have something that will support you. Whether it's PagerDuty or something else, that is really key.

If I don't look at the cost of it, I would rate PagerDuty between eight and nine out of 10. If I include the cost, it would be a seven.

Gilad Karmy - PeerSpot reviewer
Tier 4 Support Team Leader at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
People can fire an email to an on-call email address and the current on-call will be notified - very helpful off-hours
  • "A cool feature is that it helps us to understand the flow of the alert. If the alert was coming to the current on-call and he didn't catch the call or didn't notice it for any reason, it starts being escalated automatically, according to the escalation schedule, or to other teammates. You can see the flow very easily on your phone or via the website, if you want to do a post-mortem."
  • "There is room for improvement with the time schedule. The way the schedule currently works is you assign all the team members in one schedule and it automatically spreads them around throughout the schedule... It would be better to be able to edit the schedule and place my team members where I want, or at least to have that option in addition to the automatic process."

What is our primary use case?

The most common use case is the result of alerts coming from a monitoring system, like New Relic or Nagios, alerts that we define as critical. They are alerts where we need someone to get on a bridge or to start working on them during the night. Once such an alert is firing, it fires a PagerDuty alert and it triggers the current on-call who is scheduled in PagerDuty's schedule.

The on-call person acknowledges the alert and looks into it to understand what is going on and to update, via PagerDuty, what the status is. The update will be sent to all the groups that are part of the PagerDuty schedule until the issue is resolved.

We mostly integrate it with other monitoring tools like New Relic or Nagios, or we are using their email integration for on-call processes to page people in groups. We also use it for Sev 1 issues that are coming from alerts from New Relic or from Nagios or other monitoring systems.

How has it helped my organization?

When my team is needed immediately, instead of people trying to catch someone on the phone or by email during off-hours, it's easier to use this kind of service. People can just fire an email to an on-call email address and it will catch the current on-call who knows he has to be available at that time.

Also, because we are not a large group and we do not have our eyes on glass 24/7, we need to have one on-call available for several projects. The current on-call may not always understand why a project is firing an alert, but he will know how to easily reach the person who is the focal point for the project in question.

Also, most of the time, the teams that want to engage my team are not so fluent in English and it's easier to understand someone via email. But my team is not always in front of their emails. PagerDuty is doing the bridging between the email being sent that asks for help and those who can provide the help. PagerDuty calls our on-call and he answers the phone and understands that there is a real issue. After that, he reads the email or looks in the body of the pager message and gets an understanding of what the issue is, and engages the focal point.

What is most valuable?

It's a tool for incident management, to help us understand what happened during an alert. A cool feature is that it helps us to understand the flow of the alert. If the alert was coming to the current on-call and he didn't catch the call or didn't notice it for any reason, it starts being escalated automatically, according to the escalation schedule, or to other teammates. You can see the flow very easily on your phone or via the website, if you want to do a post-mortem.

The solution’s alerting functionality is very good. It does the job. It's not that it only works sometimes. It works every time it needs to. It also knows how to close alerts that are closed from the monitoring system and you can easily close and acknowledge alerts via your phone even if you don't have the mobile app. You can do it with an SMS. So at 2:00 a.m., it's very easy to navigate an incident.

The email-for-alerting integration is also valuable. If there is a team that needs my team, they can easily send an email with the subject and why they want us to be on board and that we should start investigating an issue. Instead of how it worked in the past, when they would call the on-call number and start talking and try to explain what is going on, they just send an email and it pages the current on-call who is scheduled. It's very nice and easy.

While using PagerDuty hasn't resulted in a decrease in issues, it has allowed us, in combination with the monitoring systems, to know about issues before customers are alerting us. If a monitoring system was only sending emails, those emails could be missed among thousands of emails. But if we create alerts in New Relic, which integrates with PagerDuty, and we get a call from PagerDuty, it's much better. By not missing an email, it allows us, during working hours, to engage with other teams or to resolve the issue without causing problems to our customers. Issues can be resolved before someone notices.

It is more the monitoring systems that can point out problems to be addressed before they become worse, but those systems are not really able to do more than send us an email. Without the integration to PagerDuty, issues that are defined as critical could be missed.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement with the time schedule. The way the schedule currently works is you assign all the team members in one schedule and it automatically spreads them around throughout the schedule. Due to that, I need to do extra work to adjust it, due to specific team needs or how I'm staffing my team. It would be better to be able to edit the schedule and place my team members where I want, or at least to have that option in addition to the automatic process. I find myself redoing the schedule often. Every month I need to make another schedule. It's not so bad but it could be improved.

I've been using PagerDuty for more than three years.

It's always up. We haven't faced any issues with the PagerDuty platform. In that sense, it hasn't affected our operations at all. But if there were an issue with PagerDuty, I can see how it might be like Murphy's Law and that the issue would happen at a time when we needed PagerDuty to be working. That would not be good for a group like ours that operates several main projects, projects which impact a lot of customers all over the world. So the availability is very important for us.

We haven't had any issues with scaling up.

Currently we don't have plans to expand our usage, we are good with what we have. But we are using it very often, with like the alerts, mostly on the weekend. And when there are crises we get alerts that come through PagerDuty.

I myself have not had to work with support very much, but I understand from my team that they are good and have solutions. Someone in particular from my team had to work with their technical team and they helped him a lot. If we find issues or we have suggestions for improving the solution, they're very responsive.

I wasn't involved when they implemented PagerDuty, but I don't think the company had to implement anything here. It's a SaaS service and the integrations are through integration keys, and that is something I do for each project. It's simply that you have service, you can log in, and do what you want to do.

They just gave us the license key, we got access, and we brought our team into PagerDuty by sending them each an email to log in.

The integrations with our monitoring tools took five minutes. It's very easy. And they have a lot of integrations. If you have a specific tool that you need to integrate with, you can always use their email integration, where your tool will send an email to a specific address and PagerDuty will fire the alarm.

And we don't need to maintain PagerDuty. It's a SaaS service so the only thing we need to do is create a schedule and, if there is a new integration, to set up the integration. It's not something that you need to be doing every day.

I think we have had a return on our investment but I can't give you actual numbers. It has prevented a lot of potential crises for our customers. We catch things before anyone else knows about them. We are based in Israel while 90 percent of our customers are in the U.S. So we know about customer-facing issues, local time, before they are felt in the U.S. The main functionality is that it calls us for critical issues and outages. It's very helpful and has reduced customer complaints and issues that could cause us to struggle.

What other advice do I have?

I don't use the solution's analytics very much. I only use it at the end of the year if management wants to see its usage and the capacity of my team.

We have about 60 to 80 users of the solution. Most of them are support engineers, developers, and some managers.

IT Alerting and Incident Management
September 2022
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Michael Maack - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at IT Verke limited
Mitigates threats and has good alarming features
  • "PagerDuty is very stable and very reliable."
  • "Something that needs to be improved, is adding multilingual support."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for alarming and to mitigate threats in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like the most is the alarming.

What needs improvement?

Something that needs to be improved is adding multilingual support.

I'be been using PagerDuty for four years now.

PagerDuty is very stable and very reliable.

As far as we've used it with clients, it has been very scalable and we don't have time limits yet. We currently have 20 users, who are IT technicians, operators, and managers. We do have plans to increase our usage in the future, but right now we're mainly using the alarming functionality of the solution.

We haven't used the technical support yet.

The initial setup was straightforward and it took us a few months for deployment. We did everything ourselves and now we have one person responsible for deployment and maintenance.

Licensing costs are around $700 a month and the only additional costs are phone costs in some instances.

We looked at some other options, including on-site servers, but decided to go with PagerDuty.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make sure it's a good fit for their organization and that you have your internal organization sketched out before you install the product. I rate this a solid nine out of ten.

In the next version I would like to see multilingual support.

it_user521835 - PeerSpot reviewer
Staff Product Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Upgrades are straightforward; there are no major hassles.

What is most valuable?

Obviously, scheduling the calls is a valuable feature. We have a feature where there were three calls: primary one, primary two and primary three. If this guy doesn't pick up, it will respond a certain way; that's the most valuable feature. We use it on the weekends. If some customer escalates, I'll get a page, if my manager doesn't pick up. That's one of the great features; I love it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them increase the content base and add integrations with different systems, for example, with ZenDesk or Slack; if it could integrate more with those types of systems. We use ZenDesk; I’d like to link this to ZenDesk. I’d like more integration points.

There has been some downtime, but it did not impact the business. It's pretty stable. It's reliable.

It's scalable. They have a very flexible billing system. There is a minimum of 15 or 20 numbers or users. If you add more money, you can add more users. It's pretty scalable. We haven’t experienced any scalability issues up until this point.

Their technical support has excellent notes. When you get notified, you can instantly see all of the details, organized on a timeline. That is very good technical support.

When I joined the company, it was already there; they were already using it.

Upgrades are straightforward; there are no major hassles.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate your requirements first. Determine the number of users. What is your user base? Are you going to grow more? That's what I would decide.

When I select working with vendors, I look for a more reliable solution. I want something that meets my requirements. I don't worry about the UI and stuff like that, as long as it's reliable; as long as it meets the SLAs.

it_user521973 - PeerSpot reviewer
Agile PLM Practice Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Streamlines our customer support process; very reliable
  • "Notification is the most valuable feature."
  • "I would like to see more content in the notification messages; although, that might be a configuration on our end."

What is most valuable?

Notification is the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to provide better customer support.

What needs improvement?

We have never had any stability issues.

It has scaled well for our needs.

I've opened one support ticket. They were very responsive; answered within a few hours.

I can't help with this. I wasn't involved in the selection.

What other advice do I have?

I would say look at PagerDuty. Look around, because I didn't. But it is definitely a good option.

We didn't really do any training and it was pretty well accepted. I regret not doing training. They had a booth at a recent conference. I walked up to them to specifically find out a few things and I did find out a few things that I know our team hadn’t been aware of. Do a bit of training.

It has a very limited scope, but it's very good at what it does.

it_user369396 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Client Support at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like that it causes fast reaction times when responding to a set alert.

Valuable Features

We email in, and Pager Duty finds the person on-call, alerts and escalates.

Improvements to My Organization

Faster reaction times to respond to a set alert that we have designed to be classed as a Wake Up call.

Room for Improvement

They need to sort out the date / time function when the time zones switch over from Normal to Daylight savings, and vise versa.

NOT all countries swap at the same time, thus everything is off by 1 hour until everyone is back in the correct zone.

I did make them aware of this, but they simply did not understand, and after a week everything auto corrected when everyone was back in the correct zone.

Use of Solution

5 years.

We very rarely encounter issues where an SMS is about to be received before the application push notification (connection to the internet did not fail on devices.)

Not currently.

8/10

Back in the day, it was very simple. Other added in functions started to make it odd, but overall for what we use it for is it still straightforward.

Implementation Team

I set it up and the systems simply emails the alert in, and it does its magic as per the rota.

ROI

I suspect it has paid for itself.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Keep it simple. For the pooled users and what is allowed, we have yet to go over the allocated pool for the month.

Other Advice

For a corporate tool – it acts as a 3rd party for a simple wake up tool. Absolutely recommend it. Escalation policies can be set up so that the alert should get someone’s attention, and all from a simple email being sent out. I like it.

it_user376170 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Information Technology at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it in conjunction with other solutions so that the on call and backup get paged if something is down.

What is most valuable?

The outbound calling feature is a feature that I find a lot of value from.

How has it helped my organization?

We use this in conjunction with SolarWinds so that the on call and backup get paged if something is down. Before with just SolarWinds native alerts, we missed some critical alerts.

What needs improvement?

I would defiantly like to see more integration with other systems. This would really add some value for us.

1 year.

We haven't had any issues with stability.

So far the product has scaled as we have needed it to.

As we haven't had any issues we have not had to call customer service yet.

SolarWinds.

Set up was straightforward as it integrated with SolarWinds right out of the box.

In-house.

Because of this product we have less business critical applications being down for lengthy periods, which is invaluable.

The price just increased, so the value to dollar went down a little bit. The previous price was about the sweet spot per person.

it_user386565 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr Communications Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Video Review
​Whenever we have a server that goes down we get notified immediately which helps out our clients and all the developers.

What is most valuable?

Whenever we have a server that goes down, we get notified immediately which helps out our clients and all the developers, so we know when we have to log on to bring it back up.

How has it helped my organization?

We never found out about the problems with the server unless we had the developers that would call us up saying, "Server's down. Bring it back up." Now we get the phone calls. If we don't answer a text message or an email right away, they'll even call our house phone, the computer will, and tell us the server is down and what server it is. It's helped out a great deal because then we can bring it up right away and then figure out what the problem is after we bring it up.

What needs improvement?

It handles everything that we do now so if I can avoid the 2 AM phone calls that would be perfect but I know that's not possible. Other than that, nothing else.

It's very stable. We don't have any issues with it.

It is meeting our needs because we have followed between 1,500 - 2,000 servers, so it does meet our needs that we can actually maintain them and make sure everything is up and running.

We've never had a problem with the technical support. We have one person in our office who mainly does a lot of the setting up of it and anytime she has a problem, she can call them and they handle the problem.

We were mainly relying on the clients and stuff telling us when something went down or if we happened to catch it. There really wasn't a solid tool that we were using before.

It wasn't that difficult to set everything up. It's pretty straightforward. You put in the servers, the names, who are the people we're contacting.

We have to look at other vendors. Yes, we did look at other vendors. I don't know which ones they were but they did stay with PagerDuty.

What other advice do I have?

I'd probably give it a 9/10. You just have to be prepared for the early morning calls, but it does give you three ways to be notified. You don't have to worry about being missed. It will take one and go to the next and go to the next and the last one, of course, is it will call up not only your cell phone but your home phone. Good and bad but it does handle what you need it to do.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: does it handle all the needs? If it handles everything that we need it, the price is something but it's more that it actually does the job that we need it to do.

it_user369348 - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Systems Administrator at a printing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to page the next on-call person when someone doesn't respond. In the past, everyone who was on-call would be paged at once.

Valuable Features:

When I first started at this company, we set up our AD for free on Mail Server, but it paged everyone who was on-call. Moreover, we couldn't make adjustments, such as adding and removing people. The result was that if you didn't respond to a page, the task wouldn't get done.

With PagerDuty, if you don't respond to a page, the next on-call person would get the page. We don't have to think about who is on-call because the process is automatic.

Improvements to My Organization:

The critical tickets and the critical outages get handled faster, even though there's less people who get paged.

Previously, everyone would get the page with the thinking that tasks will get done faster. But in reality, the process was inefficient because there was indecision and and constant emails determining who was going to take the page. But with PagerDuty, everyone knows what tasks they've been paged specifically for.

Room for Improvement:

I can only suggest cosmetic improvements to the recorded voice when responding to a page. It should be less angry.

Use of Solution:

We've used it for three years.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We're able to easily added or remove someone from the page list for instances of, for example, temporary maintenance.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was pretty simple and we did it within a matter of minutes.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It's very affordable and well worth the price.

Other Advice:

We had a 30- or 60-day free trial during which we set it up and used it. Afterwards, we didn't want to get rid of it.

Lead Systems Analyst at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

I've found the the versatility of notifications to be the most valuable feature. With the multiple methods of notification and the escalation policies, we can always be certain that someone will get the message.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a transportation company and run 24/7. Communication with our drivers is of the upmost importance. All of our tractors are equipped with on-board computers that drivers use to send and receive messages along with reporting of information at pick up and delivery locations. Receiving this information as close to real-time as we can get is vital. We have developed processes that receive this information and update back office systems. We have also created procedures that monitor when new information is added. If a predefined time elapses with no updates, then it is safe to make the assumption that there may be an issue stopping the process. When this occurs, an event is triggered in PagerDuty and notices are sent out. If there is no response to the triggered event in PagerDuty within a certain time frame, the notification is escalated to the next person.

Drivers also use the on board computers to report certain events, such as an accident. When these types of messages are received, PagerDuty is used to immediately send notifications to our safety department. This allows us to react faster and get safety personnel out to the location if needed.

What needs improvement?

PagerDuty currently has an app that can be used on a smart phone or tablet that allows you to respond and view stats of the incidents. It would be nice if the app could somehow receive the notification of an incident and allow you to customize the warning method on the device end. Currently, the user can be alerted of an incident through email, text message, and phone call. It would be handy to have the capability to configure the app such that if an incident happens between the hours of 10 PM and 5 AM, it uses a much louder, alarm-sounding noise rather than just a text message and phone call noises.

I have been very satisfied with all functions of the product that I have used. However, I have not used all the functions so there may be some other short comings that I am not aware of.

I had no issues during the deployment.

I had no issues with the stability.

I have had no issuesd with the scalability.

Customer service is very good.

Technical service is very good.

I did not use a previous solution.

Once I got a good understanding of how the system works and what needed to be configured, it was very straightforward. Adding new services and users, as well as implementing into our current systems, was very easy.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

I cannot really put a dollar amount on the ROI, but I can say that we are definitely getting an ROI in our in-house support. Our IT department uses a rotating 24/7 on-call schedule for emergencies. When we are not getting the information from our drivers, it is considered an emergency and will initiate a call to the on-call person. By having PagerDuty send notifications dependent on the actual issue, we can be certain that the correct person will be alerted. In the vast majority of the incidents, the issue is resolved before it is ever noticed by operations.

Do the research before picking a pricing plan. PagerDuty offers a few plans that allow you to only pay for what you need. Know your requirements.

it_user378309 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Windows Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
One of the most valuable features is the ease of overriding schedules for on-call swaps.

Valuable Features

• Easy to ACK
  • Easy to read UI
  • Custom notification
  • Easy to override schedules for on-call swaps
  • Easy integration with Nagios

Improvements to My Organization

It's improved our organization by making the on-call lifestyle less stressful. It also improved the response time.

Room for Improvement

Smartphone App can be flaky sometimes. Feature request: it would be nice to see an alert history by clicking on a host or some means to make it very easy to view alert history.

Use of Solution

We've used it for approximately two years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

It's very good.

It's very good.

I wasn't involved in the set-up.

ROI

It's my free time on-call off-hours, as I'm not spending as much time figuring out if an alert is real or not.

Other Advice

Go for it. Worth it.

it_user378300 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It has increased the availability of networks to users and therefore decreased operational costs​.

What is most valuable?

• Automated scheduling
  • Escalation
  • Text to voice

How has it helped my organization?

It has increased the availability of networks to users and therefore decreased operational costs.

What needs improvement?

It always needs more integrated applications, especially if you are not a software developer. It's mostly geared towards application providers.

I've used it for four years.

There were no technical issues. It just integrates and works.

Up-time is pretty good. They send out an email if there was an outage and don't try to hide it. There was a hacking incident as well last year, but they handled it.

If implemented correctly there won't be any issues. Our set-up mimics the departments of the company and therefore grows with it.

It's pretty good. Never had an issue with response times.

I've never required any, it just works.

We previously just used emails and text messages. We required voice-based phone calls and scheduling for alarming of outages.

It was straightforward. In basic terms, if you send PagerDuty an email, it will call you and read it to you. And if you use PagerDuty, so will your toaster.

It was done in-house. It was easily adopted by internal processes.

Having an automated system to get the right person out of bed when required is priceless. The first time you know about an issue before your customer does it paid for itself.

It's per user per month. Just sign up people that are required and not every manager just because. It can get expensive.

Other text to voice products were evaluated but the combination of features is what stands out.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try. It's simple and easy. Use the apps, they are great and fun.

it_user377382 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Operations Manager with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

I really like the reporting aspects of the solution; they are absolute.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to reduce the knock, as in how the centralized automated workflow manages urgencies and alerts. This is a big benefit to any company using the product.

What needs improvement?

I’d like to see some kind of supervising element, the functionality to resolve and allow people to be alerted for supervisors. I don’t think that they are going to address this.

I've used it for four years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It is definitely stable. Over the course of using it for four years, I haven’t experienced any issues with instability at all.

The product is very scalable and I think others would agree.

I don’t really interact with support at all as we have not had any issues with the product. This is a good thing in my opinion.

In the companies I have been at, the only product used was PagerDuty.

It was pretty straightforward; it takes around two weeks to get done.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

It is a great product for routing tickets and alerts, so it saves invaluable time.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend to sign up to what you need, then if you need anything else you can start branching out.

it_user369435 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Product Support with 201-500 employees
We use it for alert/event routing, call scheduling and the API for billing.

What is most valuable?

Its alerting capabilities, simple user interface, stability and functionality is exactly what we need. I would also highlight a fact, they have very responsive support, and API developers support. We mainly use it at GoodData for:

A) Alert/event routing from our product/monitoring system to the responsible DevOPS engineer who is on duty to fix/workaround issues reported. We mostly escalate to mobile/cell phones.

B) We use it for on call schedule resource planning as we have around 100 people using PagerDuty (mainly from engineering, support, services). Using their system, you basically know at any time who is working, when and which service he owns/is responsible for.

C) Billing/accounting. Using their APIs we are able to easily financially compensate those 100 people for their on-call duties. This might be country/geolocation specific.

How has it helped my organization?

We significantly reduce our first response and platform issue resolution times thanks to full 24x7 resource coverage for the whole gooddata.com product (not just operations support functions but also security, services and other areas).

What needs improvement?

We're fully satisfied with the type of service they offer. I think it might be cheaper for enterprise organizations.

5 years.

Not at all, it is cloud based software, they are responsible for a whole software stack. We just use the client/web based interface and mobile app (Android, iOS) and we didn't have any issues as far as I know.

None.

None.

Excellent and responsive.

Very good.

No we didn't, but we evaluated a few alternatives before we started to use it - they were the winners at the time.

Easy to setup and follow.

We are fully self-service, we didn't use their services team for implementation/first setup.

As we scaled we changed our pricing a few times based on the number of users subscribed to our service. Right now, with about 90 users we pay monthly around $1,200. You pay as you grow - from the basic model to the enterprise model which includes analytics.

We did, but I was not part of the team who did the evaluation. I do not have this information available.

On-Air IT System Specialist at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Push notifications to mobile devices combined with the in-app ability to override the system volume allows for flexibility in managing other device notifications.

Valuable Features

Push notifications to mobile devices combined with the in-app ability to override the system volume allows for flexibility in managing other device notifications, while high-level notifications can be alerted without worrying if your device's notification level is sufficient.

Improvements to My Organization

All of our on-call hand-offs are now fully automated with the scheduling system inside PagerDuty. All we need to do is define the rotation and it takes care of everything else.

Room for Improvement

Some of the UX needs some help for better flow of actions - however I can understand the reasoning behind how some of the UI is laid and how you need to go an extra step to trigger actions.

Use of Solution

2 years.

Not that I can remember - it's been two years without any issues.

The most instability we've found was delayed messages - but PagerDuty support is always good with updating Twitter and their support outlets.

Pretty good up there. I've never had to wait over 24 hours to get support.

Technical support has always been up there. From the Twitter updates to their helpdesk - the experience is great throughout.

It was very straightforward. We had integrated the system with Zabbix. In fact, it was more complex on the Zabbix side of things to set it up.

Implementation Team

In-house.

Other Advice

Implement PagerDuty. Right now. Go. Are you still here?

it_user375471 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Administrator at a tech company with 51-200 employees
The customization options available make conformity to our needs possible.​

What is most valuable?

SMS + phone call alerts, multiple escalation lists, personalized notification rules, centralized administrator interface, automatic incident creation. The customization options available in PagerDuty make conformity to our needs possible.

How has it helped my organization?

It governs our "on call" system, picking up custom-made emails from our alert system and forwarding the alert to the relevant on-call technician using his custom set notification rules. As a System Administrator, PagerDuty reliably notifies me via email, SMS, and phone call at the creation of an incident with custom-set rules controlling who is responsible per issue and at what time those responsibilities kick in. PagerDuty is of central importance to the continued smooth function of my company and it's IT-related infrastructure and applications.

What needs improvement?

Open alerts should properly respond to SMS resolution beyond the initial alert. To explain, when an alert first comes through SMS, it'll prompt for a response: 4 to acknowledge, 6 to resolve, 8 to escalate. If a ticket is acknowledged with a 4, and then the matter is dealt with, responding again to the SMS with a 6 then will not resolve the ticket. It's a minor issue, and one largely mitigated by the mobile app.

5 years.

None, and this is really key. The stability of an alert system makes it reliable, and an alert system must be reliable as a baseline.

None, though there are just two administrators of the system and no more than ten users at any time. That said, as our projects have become more complex over time, we've had zero issues tying them into PagerDuty when necessary.

Home-grown incident management system. It was poorly written and unreliable.

A previous Sys Admin configured the system. By his account, it required no special knowledge to implement.

In-house.

This would be difficult to measure. Without PagerDuty, an element going into error might go unnoticed, or the timeframe of an issue may be unclear - a situation that might cost our company valuable clients. The notification features of PagerDuty and the logged history are incredibly important for identifying problems when they occur and responding to them promptly, as well as ensuring that someone is indeed responding to them at all. Accountability matters. PagerDuty has saved us from creating, through ignorance and inaction, many tense situations with multiple clients. The reliability that PagerDuty provides (as a service) and enforces (as a practice of the service) creates real value in the immeasurable "quality of life" for both our administrators and our clients.

PagerDuty licensing is straightforward.

VictorOps - a somewhat immature product at the time. Had most of the "big" features at a glance, but missed most of the details in actual use. Total lack of an API (at the time of our test, not sure if this is accurate to current) pushed us to PagerDuty.

What other advice do I have?

No specific advice. The community has a lot of solid ideas for using the product during initial setup.

it_user376152 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Dev Ops at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
The notifications, and the information that comes along with them are valuable.

Valuable Features

I would say the notifications, and the information that comes along with them.

Improvements to My Organization

We're able to respond to problems within the environment a lot quicker, because we get the notifications regularly, or when there is an issue, we're able to respond and get it resolved quickly.

Room for Improvement

I'm not really sure. The one that was big on our list was the ability to tune the alerts, but they've done that now with the non-critical. At this time, everything is pretty good with how we're using it, and what they provide.

Use of Solution

2 years.

It seems to be very stable. I don't know whether there's been an issue on the PagerDuty side or on the devices that we use, but we have seen some inconsistencies with receiving alerts on an iPhone versus an Android device from time to time. I don't if that's a PagerDuty issue or not.

For our needs, it's definitely scalable. It's more than adequate. Just the ability for us to add users, and that's really all that we need, users and policies that we want to tie into our infrastructure. It's been good, so far.

I don't think we've actually had to submit any tickets. It's a pretty easy solution to work with, and haven't had any issues with it.

Everything about it is very straightforward, and easy to get rolling with.

ROI

I definitely think we have made an ROI. Just the ability to be able to respond quicker to the issues that are coming up gives the company a better mean times resolution resolution, which is going to improve upon the return on investment for what we spend on PagerDuty.

Other Advice

It's very easy and straightforward to get implemented, and hit the ground running. As far as advice, I would ensure that you should create your services and policies to what you need, so you're not getting false alerts on issues that really aren't worth investigating. You definitely don't want to be running down false positives, and so, making sure that you are truly monitoring and being alerted on things that are important to company. Something to ensure is set up properly.

it_user371349 - PeerSpot reviewer
VP of Support at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable features that we use, among them are the escalation policy, integration of email, telephone, and mobile app.

How has it helped my organization?

• Because of the alert mechanism, our support technicians are prompted about support cases at risk.
  • The escalation policies make it possible for managers to catch issues before missing SLA targets.
  • We are able to better manage the 24/7 offering with a smaller support team.

What needs improvement?

The assigning and editing of the escalation policies could be improved. It works, but it's just a bit confusing at times.

I've used it for three years.

I didn't have any issues with deployment, but this was handled by a different team. We had just some licensing issues at the start, but that was addressed.

We've never had any issues with stability since we started using it.

The only scalability issue was just the licensing issues mentioned earlier.

N/A. Our support contact is internal, and we have never encountered any issues.

N/A. Our support contact is internal, and we have never encountered any issues.

We used an external monitoring service. We switched to PagerDuty because of:

a) Control

b) Flexibility

c) Cost.

The initial setup was handled by our Ops team. We had no issues.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

We are a cost center, so ROI is measured through savings rather than revenue. However, we measure the ROI through SLA targets and customer service.

What other advice do I have?

Define your escalation policies first before rolling out. It will save time.

Download our free IT Alerting and Incident Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about PagerDuty, Atlassian, Everbridge, and more!
Updated: September 2022