Oracle Hyperion OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Hyperion is the #2 ranked solution in top Business Performance Management tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Hyperion an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Oracle Hyperion is most commonly compared to Tableau: Oracle Hyperion vs Tableau. Oracle Hyperion is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
Oracle Hyperion Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Hyperion Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Oracle Hyperion?
Oracle Business Analytics Suite.

Oracle Hyperion was previously known as Hyperion.

Oracle Hyperion Customers
ITNL, Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd., Zaklady Farmaceutyczne Polpharma S.A., Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd., Barco N.V., SITA, McGregor Fashion Group B.V., PCCW Ltd.
Oracle Hyperion Video

Oracle Hyperion Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Hyperion pricing:
  • "The solution is affordable."
  • "Oracle Hyperion's licensing structures are quite expensive for some companies, especially medium-sized companies because of the user-based license."
  • Oracle Hyperion Reviews

Gene Hammons - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at ProfitFromERP
    The implementation has been simplified now that it's deployed in the cloud
    • "The implementation has been simplified now that it's deployed in the cloud. Also, Hyperion is tightly integrated with Oracle products because Oracle owns it now."

What is our primary use case?

My company is called ProfitFromERP. We help people select and implement ERP solutions. I don't personally use Hyperion day to day, but have clients who've selected and grown with the program. Hyperion historically has been a high-end tool for financial planning and analysis groups who want to create things like forecasting models and work with real-time data and events in-progress to update rolling forecasts.

Hyperion is useful for advanced financials, reconciliations, and other things that traditional accounting and reporting solutions don't do. Some people use it for their SEC reporting and things like that. Others are trying to compile data from multiple sources - various databases and transactional systems.

For example, we've got hockey teams that cross-reference ticket data and information from third-party concession stands to get a complete picture of what's happening in their entire stadium. It provides them with real-time information from point of sale systems, Ticketmaster, and gate scanning systems, all so they can optimize staffing in every section and maximize revenues by having the right staff in the right place.

What is most valuable?

Hyperion has always been a top financial solution, but it had the reputation of being complex and not-so-easy to use. As with any complex & powerful program,  with the right training, users could really do some amazing things. In the early days, implementing Hyperion was complex, but implementing any enterprise software in the early days was complex. Experience was the key - if you had great consultants and a top FP&A team, it was a dream. If not, nightmare stories were the result. Today, with modern cloud-based systems everything is easier, not easy, but easier to implement.

There's also been significant development around Hyperion. We've had clients look at Hyperion in ERP evaluations circa 2016 - and there were new cloud versions, but the functionality just wasn't there. One of the things we school our clients on is the rush to convert to the cloud has many software products with a two or three-year cloud history that initially look great, but later just don't have the breadth and depth of features. They'll look great in initial demos but later you find key requirements that it just won't handle. This can be a real problem - so we make sure our clients dig a little deeper.

Fast forward to 2020-ish and all of the sudden we saw NetSuite clients choosing Hyperion, or at least seriously considering it. Technically, Oracle had launched a version called SuiteSuccess Planning & Budgeting and it was all based on the Hyperion Planning code.

NetSuite has always had good base financials and really handy features like saved searches for repeated reporting. But when it comes to advanced financials, historically, most NetSuite resellers presented Adaptive Planning, which was so tightly integrated it appeared as just another module on the NetSuite home page.

We also had Advanced Financials clients evaluating Host Analytics, Anaplan which started to emerge, Workiva, as well as BI tools like QlikView and Tableau.  One of the joys of cloud-based NetSuite was how tightly we could integrate with almost any other cloud-based tool.

When Oracle brought NetSuite back into the fold via a $9B acquisition, of course, Larry Ellison was an early seed investor in NetSuite, but the merger brought NetSuite's cloud expertise and cloud market share and factored Oracle's massive development efforts to rapidly expand NetSuite's offerings in several ways.

They launched that cloud version of Hyperion with the goal of becoming nearly plug-and-play integration with what NetSuite was doing. That's when our NetSuite client base began to really take another look. Plus some of the firms that had selected Adaptive back when it was sold as NetSuite Advanced Financials, those companies had really grown and what had fit well with a $400m company was hindering a $900m company.

We had some clients who adopted Hyperion two years ago.

Hyperion scales well because it has traditionally been available only to massive corporations. It was an expensive product. You only saw it with Oracle Fusion or other tier-one products that don't play in the mid-tier market. Oracle bought NetSuite. Technically, Larry Ellison owned 60 percent of the stock before, so it's hard to say that they bought it, but they brought it back in-house as an Oracle product.

NetSuite revolutionized the middle market for cloud software, and they were highly successful. Oracle started saying, "Well, you're not worldwide like our other products." The answer was, "We don't have versions for all those other countries. NetSuite's not for the bigger companies because it lacks all the features those companies need."

Oracle put a lot of money into developing NetSuite to take it global. I went to a training class for their implementation methodology a year and a half ago, and there were 40 people in the class. Around five of them were based in the United States, and five were Oracle employees from one division or another. The rest were from Asia, Japan, Australia, Ireland, England, and France. It was a complete international group, which shows how much progress they've made in that direction. Many products that worked with the higher-tier Oracle software are being repurposed to work in the NetSuite arena.

That has given them more functionality to present to NetSuite, which has grown phenomenally. In 2018, NetSuite had 18,000 client companies.  They recently surpassed 33,000. That's phenomenal growth. Oracle invested tons into the development of a product that's already leading the market to open it up to more companies that need things like Hyperion and expand into countries so they can replicate the success they've had in the US.

Oracle Hyperion
      November 2022
      Learn what your peers think about Oracle Hyperion. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
      656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Our client base is comprised of companies moving from different solutions and switching for various reasons. Company growth, changing marketplaces, emerging cloud options, digital transformations, remote workforces, changing supply chains, direct e-commerce options, and even startups and companies approaching IPO and moving off accounting programs to full-fledged digital ERP-based operations.

I've worked in the Sage channel, Epicor, and Microsoft - including Navision/AX, Infor's Lawson M3, so I've enjoyed a career dealing with local, regional, and national companies, and with some of the bigger ERP packages, international and global conglomerates.

In every instance, knowing what clients face and what makes them need to change is critical to understand.

At one point, we were working with pharma groups facing $3-5 million dollar SAP and Oracle implementations and we could recommend looking at Microsoft Dynamics AX in the $1.2m range. Years later, it's seeing NetSuite $500k systems instead of Dynamics $1m+.

Today it's home-based workforces spending more on home furnishings, meaning home goods distributors need an e-commerce platform because no one is shopping in traditional furniture stores, as it's online.

Aerospace is driving manufacturing efficiencies and handling supply chain issues differently than in the past.

There are hundreds of factors driving business innovation in all sectors - Food & Bev that used to be packaged for restaurants now needs consumer pack-offs and new ways for consumers to buy online. Connecting with Amazon or Walmart distribution channels requires digital integration.

The world has changed faster with the advent of made-for-cloud ERP. NetSuite, Intacct, Plex, Acumatica - it's all about finding easier-to-implement, lower-cost systems that fit client requirements.

Keeping track of all the options, as well as knowing what the software publishers are doing with programs like Hyperion (or SuiteSuccess Planning & Budgeting) is key to letting our clients know what the up-and-coming options are.

That said, if I go into a shop and their director of FP&A has been using Host Analytics or Adaptive, it's going to be challenging to get them to switch from a tool they know to Hyperion or anything else. In those cases, we build the integrations. It's so much easier to integrate cloud-to-cloud tools than it was 20 years ago, so it's not that big a deal. And if you've got somebody who knows another product in and out. They don't want to go through another six-month or nine-month learning curve to get proficient with another tool.

We don't see people changing a lot, but there's sometimes a re-evaluation when a company starts growing and says, "We need to do more with our financials than we've been doing. We want to look at these FP&A solutions side by side. We want to see the advantages of one versus the other."

Deploying Hyperion is much easier than you would think. It's relatively quick—about 60 days if you're running multiple databases. The scale of the implementation is way down. My clients are generally NetSuite, not Oracle Cloud or Oracle E-Business Suite

It's extraordinary compared to what we had seen in the past. In 2018, our impression was that Hyperion was not ready for prime time. We had done a couple of evaluations, and they quoted what the implementations would be. It was just like, "Oh my gosh. This is killing the project. It's too expensive." We were amazed at how affordable it had become in recent years, and the clients were pleased that they could get into a Hyperion-level tool at an affordable price.

I listened to a CFO recently - his complaint was not being able to fully understand the costs associated with the project. They'd really done their homework, ran a super tight project management team, overcome huge implementation challenges, and successfully rolled this behemoth $900k ERP project out. It was six weeks late and $75k over budget and the entire reputation of the project within the company was that the project was a failure.

Now by any realistic measure - getting a huge ERP project rolled out to a large company is not an easy lift. They were so close to the goal, yet perceived as a failed project, which is kind of devastating when you're in charge and demoralizing to the entire team.

The truth is, you don't know what you don't know.

One of the things that Profit From ERP preaches is changing the goalposts. Instead of an arbitrary go-live date, we focus more on goals like 'within 6 months after go-live we'll reduce inventory by 7%.' Now, instead of starting as a failure, we're working toward success. I know it sounds simple, but it changes perception, identifies steps toward goals, and measures progress - which the ERP is designed to do in the first place.

Plus, having done hundreds of ERP implementations, our goal is to help negotiate licensing and implementation costs - but we also recognize there are hidden costs that will surface during implementation, staffing, and support changes - and we're having our client companies recognize that unseen costs and common and expected, so budget for them.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle Hyperion nine out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: consultant, integrator
      FVP Business Unit Financial Officer - Commercial Banking at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Easy to set up and good for budgeting but needs better reporting
      • "It's basically the same as the other budgeting solutions."
      • "I would love more comment capabilities so that you could put in little notes, cheat notes."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for budgeting.

What is most valuable?

It's basically the same as the other budgeting solutions. There's nothing different, no bells and whistles that are different. At the end of the day, it gets to the same solution.

The initial setup wasn't overly difficult.

What needs improvement?

I used other EPM software that probably had better reporting that came out of Hyperion.

I would have done some implementation a little bit differently, however, it doesn't mean that they don't have the functions available.

I would love a drill-down feature.

We've used the solution for two years.

So far, the stability has been fine. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

Hyperion is basically a jail and cost center platform where you couldn't budget any different than the rules of what Hyperion is telling you to budget buy. If you wanted to budget buy a product within a cost center, you could not do that. You would have to go to the actual cost center and budget it that way. For example, for commercial real estate loans, you would have to go into each individual course center and budget accordingly. I'm not sure if it's scalable in that sense as there isn't necessarily flexibility involved.

Our internal financing team uses it, and they are comprised of 10 to 15 people.

It's being used almost every month as we do forecasting in it. There's monthly input-output. Hyperion on the accounting side is used on a daily basis to load the general ledger information. It's daily, weekly, and monthly. It's being used all the time. I don't know if it can go any further, as it is being used constantly.

We have our internal IT. They're the ones helping out with any questions. On the back end, in terms of direct contact with Oracle, that would be our finance department or accounting department. I don't speak with them.

I've used other budgeting programs, for example, Axiom.

We did not use a different solution. Coming to this bank a few years ago, this product was here. They went with this product as their GL system was sun setting. It was a management decision to stay with Oracle, with the GL and it made sense to get the upgrade for Hyperion.

The company already had Hyperion, however, they just upgraded to the cloud version. We went from software to the cloud. There were a few little obstacles when we implemented it last August. It was actually during the budget cycle, which was weird. I didn't see any issues for the most part. That said, I wasn't into the weeds of implementing, allocating, doing all the unit testing, UAT testing, and all that stuff.

I'm not sure how many people were used for the purposes of deployment or maintenance.

While it was mostly handled by the finance department, my understanding is that there was a consultant involved in the implementation process. The solution works, therefore, the process must have gone well.

We have seen an ROI.

I can't speak to any aspect of the costs. It's not an aspect I handle directly.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user going into Hyperion.

We've just upgraded to the cloud. I'm the one that's going in and importing all the data into Hyperion.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

There are many on the market that do the same thing. Oracle has name recognition going for it, however. Personally, I would look at another product I used to use, however, that's just my preference. Many, many years ago, in my last job, I actually had Oracle. We didn't have Hyperion though and everything was sun setting on that. It was my job to go out and go find a solution. We brought Oracle in and Hyperion was a suite of products within the Oracle umbrella. I was looking for a one-stop-shop type of product. If someone's looking for that, this might fit those needs.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We're not fully utilizing the product. That said, from what I've seen, what I use, and what I can generate from the product, it's decent.

Oracle Hyperion
      November 2022
      656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
      BI Analytics and Systems at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Easy to implement, scalable, and stable solution with good data integration and workforce planning features
      • "Stable and scalable solution with a valuable data integration feature which allows the slicing and dicing of data. It also has a workforce planning feature that allows you to bring in your HR data."
      • "The reporting feature in Oracle Hyperion isn't the best. It needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

This solution has evolved in the last few years. We were using Hyperion, so there was data coming in from other systems into Hyperion. When we were using the on-premises system, we were just moving data from one ERP, e.g. Oracle ERP. When we moved Oracle Hyperion to the Cloud, we brought data from more than one system, e.g. we also brought data from SAP.

We use Oracle Hyperion for consolidation and everything's done on it, but in the past, we did our consolidation in Oracle ERP.

What is most valuable?

One of the best features that we use in Oracle Hyperion is the data integration. You can slice and dice data, and you can innovate, which is something you can't do in other ERP systems. This solution offers so many possibilities.

Workforce planning is also a valuable feature in this solution that gives you the option to bring in your HR data.

What needs improvement?

The reporting feature in Oracle Hyperion isn't the best. It needs improvement, but from what I know, they're offering a new reporting package.

There is a new reporting package available in the new tool module, but most companies, e.g. when I talk to friends and even people in my company, they prefer to use other packages like Power BI and Tableau. This means that data will come into Oracle Hyperion, then it will move out and go to Tableau or Power BI for reporting.

If this solution had a good reporting feature from the beginning, then I would have used it, and now that there is one, we don't have the tool. We don't have that license available. If it had been available from the beginning, it would have been great for companies, e.g. we would have been  able to better manage reporting.

I've been using Oracle Hyperion for 10 years.

It's a stable solution, and it has improved a lot in terms of connection. From what I understand, its algorithm is based on your input, usage, and frequency. Data availability has also improved a lot. It also depends on the data center, the domain name, and where the data center is located for your company. Other than the reporting, there aren't many complaints about Oracle Hyperion.

I find Oracle Hyperion scalable.

Oracle Hyperion is very easy to implement. Some pieces are complex, but it's an out of the box solution which works for most companies. It was designed in a way that you can maximize your requirement based on what is given by Oracle and they flesh this solution out every three months.

What other advice do I have?

At the start, we deployed Oracle Hyperion on-premises, then we moved it to the Cloud. It's now deployed 100% on cloud. We are using its latest version.

What I'd like to tell others thinking about implementing Oracle Hyperion is that it's a very sophisticated tool, if used correctly. We've gone through a few mergers and doing the mergers, e.g. people coming from other companies merging with our company, they had experience with other tools. Not every company has Oracle Hyperion, and there were people from the other companies who were skeptics in the beginning as they had never used Oracle Hyperion.

When those people started using Oracle Hyperion, with the solution being something that needs a little time to get used to, e.g. you need to have a good understanding of how the hierarchy and the dimensions, etc. work, specifically for somebody who had not used it, or somebody who wasn't a power user, after the initial learning stage and after using it for a month, those people changed their minds about Oracle Hyperion. They said it was a better solution compared to what they used before the merger.

I'm rating Oracle Hyperion a nine out of ten. It's not a perfect score because it's a complicated tool which requires users to have knowledge on databases.

I'm giving it a high score as it is great for reporting and slicing and dicing of data where you can do a lot of calculations, allocations, and all kinds of things which you can't do in an ERP or any other tool. It would depend on how you use Oracle Hyperion. If you're not using it as much, then you won't be able to compare it with other solutions that are out in the market.

Other
      Director, Financial Systems at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
      Extremely stable and the best in class in terms of functionality
      • "Functionality-wise, it is what they say it is. It is the best in class, but it all ties back to your users. If your users are completely enamored with Excel spreadsheets, then breaking those habits is hard."
      • "All the planning systems out there are great. It doesn't matter which company you use. They're all great. I've seen demonstrations on a number of them, but it all boils down to the culture within the organization itself to use that functionality, understand it, and help drive it. I've had Oracle salespeople do demonstrations, and it looked really good. We get it on board, and everybody still sticks to their Excel spreadsheets because companies are a lot more complex than what you could deliver on the planning system. So, there should be more education on the capabilities, and there should be more understanding of organizations in terms of the way they access the data in order to plan."

What is most valuable?

Functionality-wise, it is what they say it is. It is the best in class, but it all ties back to your users. If your users are completely enamored with Excel spreadsheets, then breaking those habits is hard. What you really get is data governance and control. We haven't gone to the cloud service yet, so I really can't comment on that, but at the end of the day, depending on your users, the ability to forecast long-term is a great feature. We're in the process of putting that in, and some of the stakeholders are really excited about that functionality, but it's all about data governance. A company that was trying to do this on the cheap using an Oracle Essbase cloud service got data corruption in one month because they didn't have the necessary security, and people were overriding other people's plans.

What needs improvement?

From going from level one to four, they've done a lot with driving the user to control what they're doing versus having a dependency on an administrator to drive data movement. Again, it's all predicated on how your planners want to use the application. You can give them all the tools, but if they don't engage in that type of planning, then you can have a Cadillac system. If they're only going to use 10% of it, you're not going to drive that value.

All the planning systems out there are great. It doesn't matter which company you use. They're all great. I've seen demonstrations on a number of them, but it all boils down to the culture within the organization itself to use that functionality, understand it, and help drive it. I've had Oracle salespeople do demonstrations, and it looked really good. We get it on board, and everybody still sticks to their Excel spreadsheets because companies are a lot more complex than what you could deliver on the planning system. So, there should be more education on the capabilities, and there should be more understanding of organizations in terms of the way they access the data in order to plan. Because my organization is complex and there are different data streams, they don't bolt into Hyperion very well. You still have to extract the information and load it in, which is really difficult, especially if you have older systems or if you're going from a mainframe system for some of that information because there is no application out there now that's bolting on the mainframe systems.

We have the full suite with consolidation. We have Hyperion Financial Management. Our challenges, if we ever have one, are really on the server-side, because you're dealing with SQL Server, as well as your Essbase Server, especially for planning. If those servers go down within the organization, it's not Hyperion's fault. It's your own organization's fault. So, from a stability perspective, it's extremely stable. If you're going to go to the cloud, the internal factors that could trip you would go away. You would be within Oracle's ecosystem, and you don't have to spend the money to have a DBA managing your application on the backend. My team is a bit of a hybrid. We report to the business, but we do all the setups within the application itself.

I have rarely interacted with them. At least with Hyperion planning, we've been pretty self-sufficient, and we haven't hit a bug.

What other advice do I have?

If you read their game plan, they're pushing everybody to the cloud. We're not on the cloud application yet. We're on an older version that's being retired.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Jorge Flores Hernandez - PeerSpot reviewer
      Oracle Essbase Administrator at Penoles
      A solution that can be used to translate processes into forecasts and budgets
      • "Oracle Hyperion has helped make things work faster in our company."
      • "It is challenging to do reporting on Oracle Hyperion if you're not an expert."

What is our primary use case?

At our organization, the solution is deployed on-premises. We work in the mining business, and a lot of restructuring needs to be translated into our planning. We have a lot of cubes in Oracle Hyperion, and we manage a lot of business units. The primary use case is to translate our processes and environment into forecasts and budgets.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Hyperion helped make things work faster in our company.

What is most valuable?

The calculation power is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved. It is challenging to do reporting on Oracle Hyperion if you're not an expert, and you may have to use an add-on to simplify it. For example, our company uses financial reports, and it's challenging for people that don't have all the technical skills.

This solution requires a lot of specialized people because it's not very easy to navigate. More specifically, you may need a specialist or expert in formulas and dealing with the interface. In addition, it requires multiple sheets and many templates.

Additionally, it is not very secure and does not have all the required security.

We have been using this solution for the past 12 months.

Oracle Hyperion is generally stable. There are minor issues, but in general, it is a stable platform.

We have a plan to increase the usage of Oracle Hyperion. We may upgrade to Oracle Essbase 21c, OneStream, or even use our own platform.

I have used Oracle's technical support to settle several tickets. If I were to rate the technical support, I would rate it five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We only used Excel in the past.

We completed the deployment in-house and also completed an upgrade that took us four months.

There has been a return on investment since we started using this solution.

The initial setup was complicated. I would rate the setup a four out of five in terms of the level of complication. You need to understand how calculations work in Oracle Hyperion and know information about the rule files.

I don't have all the data on licensing costs because another business area in my company makes those deals. However, I know we currently have an SLA, and as far as I am aware, it's just the standard licensing fee and no other cost.

I have thought about using PowerBI for reporting purposes. However, I'm only familiar with Oracle Essbase 21c for financial reports. In-house, we have a platform developing house similar to Oracle Planning, where we get all the information from the system.

What other advice do I have?

We have hundreds of users of this solution in the company, and we have two environments. In terms of maintenance in our data center, we have three people in charge of the infrastructure and seven functional actors that deal with formulas or cubes.

I would like to see features from Oracle Essbase 21c on Oracle Hyperion in the next release. Oracle Essbase 21c is web-based and helpful in managing all the cubes. However, my role is more admin-focused, so I can't speak about the technical maintenance on Oracle Essbase 21c.

Manager, Hyperion Applications at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      A world-class solution that provides a lot of functionality out of the box and also allows you to customize it to meet your needs
      • "It is easy to use. It is very intuitive. Even though there is a lot of functionality that comes out of the box, you can customize the solutions to meet your needs. You have the ability to have business rules that produce all kinds of calculations. We're international, and we do all our FX conversions through that."
      • "Their documentation could be a little bit more descriptive at places. They don't really do a lot of How-Tos because that gets pushed through to the consulting groups. There have been some books. There is a real good one out there about how to look smarter than you are with Hyperion Planning that some people at a company called ArganoInterRel wrote. Those things do exist, but that's not in their documentation. It's basically like they'll say, "This is the field. This is what it's used for," but they don't tell you how to particularly use it in your case environment."

What is our primary use case?

We use Hyperion for budgeting and forecasting. We provide CC guidance through that application. We use the Hyperion HFM for our consolidations worldwide.

We're on 11.2.4, and we're going to patch to 11.2.6.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use. It is very intuitive. Even though there is a lot of functionality that comes out of the box, you can customize the solutions to meet your needs. You have the ability to have business rules that produce all kinds of calculations. We're international, and we do all our FX conversions through that.

It is very easy to upload the data from ERP to HFM. We actually go from the ERP to HFM, and then from HFM, we load those actuals into our planning application.

What needs improvement?

Their documentation could be a little bit more descriptive at places. They don't really do a lot of How-Tos because that gets pushed through to the consulting groups. There have been some books. There is a real good one out there about how to look smarter than you are with Hyperion Planning that some people at a company called ArganoInterRel wrote. Those things do exist, but that's not in their documentation. It's basically like they'll say, "This is the field. This is what it's used for," but they don't tell you how to particularly use it in your case environment.

I have been using it since 2000.

It is better than average. They do a lot to help you work through issues with a chat session to start with, but depending on the level of severity, you can have somebody wired right into you. They do a Webex and look at what you're doing, and they test it out and do that kind of stuff. So, it is better than average.

I would prefer if they were not offshore, but they're offshore only for the first-level response. As you elevate or escalate higher up the chain, you come into the States where the guys are the actual developers of the software.

Its setup was really easy. They provide admin training, and that training is pretty comprehensive. Where you need to maybe go a little bit further would be to have some assistance with, depending on the application, some of the business rules that you need to write. You need to get the syntax correct, but once you do that, it becomes second nature.

I haven't been around pricing for a long time. Their model for what we have was totally different from what they have for their cloud applications. So, I don't even know what a cloud app costs at this point per person or per user.

What other advice do I have?

For working with the mapping, the scripting, and the integration tool, it's good to have a consulting group that has done this before to work with you.

The other side of it is that it is multidimensional. So, if your organization has never had this kind of environment or doesn't think along a multidimensional paradigm, then you should have a consulting group help you lay out what you're going to use the dimensions and the application for. Some are fixed. You have the months, the time periods, the years, and the currency, but there are also custom dimensions that you can use for various things. That affects how your data is produced and how you do your reporting.

I'd rate it a 10 out of 10. It is world-class software.

DEVINDRA SINGH CHAUHAN - PeerSpot reviewer
      Data Engineering Manager (Big Data & Analytics) at NCR Corporation
      Enables detailed reporting and excellent data roll-up, but configuration is complex and integration is lacking
      • "The roll-up potential of the product is very good, meaning we have detailed information and we want it to be summarized, based on geography, based on different product lines, or based on different charts of accounts in the general ledger. It rolls up the information in a very concise way. This makes it easy to understand the overall performance, for it's forecasting aspects, or quarterly reporting, year to year, or month to month reporting."
      • "Configuration is a little complex, it's not very easy. The solution is integrated with Essbase and there are not many users of the Essbase database. If they can provide different modules for each subject area, like supply chain, for inventory forecasting or for order management forecasting, it would make each subject area easier to manage."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution primarily for financial planning and forecasting, to determine how much cash flow is required on a monthly basis.

What is most valuable?

The roll-up potential of the product is very good, meaning we have detailed information and we want it to be summarized, based on geography, different product lines, or different charts of accounts in the general ledger. It rolls up the information in a very concise way. This makes it easy to understand the overall performance for its forecasting aspects, either quarterly reporting, year-to-year, or month-to-month reporting.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for over 10 years.

After setup, the solution was stable, it performs well and delivers what we expect from it.

It's not scalable. It's not scalable. We are moving away from it, with the ERP cloud migration, we will retire this product.

There are over 50 Oracle Hyperion users in our company.

Before using Oracle Hyperion I used Aprimo, a Teradata product.

Aprimo is very fast, so if we are using a structured dataset it is unbeatable. It's very fast and very easy to set up. It has different modules depending on what kind of forecasting you want to do, whether that's related to planning, to the supply chain, to order management, or to inventory management.

In Hyperion, we don't have those modules, it's complete customization, and it's basically for finance only. These are the basic differences.

Aprimo is expensive, Oracle Hyperion is cheap.

The initial setup was 10 years ago and I wasn't with the company then so it would be difficult to say how much time it took, but we talk about monthly or yearly deployment.

I distinctly remember teams talking about it, it was not easy, and the team used to call it a black box. They called it that due to the number of abstraction layers between data, so nobody knew how it handled the data sets.

The solution was implemented via an in-house team.

The solution is affordable.

What other advice do I have?

We will continue using the solution for now but we will definitely implement a different solution in the future.

I rate this solution a seven out of ten.

I'm the subject matter expert of the finance team, so in finance, we have a vice president who is actually head of the finance dataset. He reports directly to the CEO and is a big fan of Hyperion. He uses it for planning and forecasting each month, with a team of 14 or 15 core members, all of whom use Hyperion.

We also have a sales team and they use the Hyperion datasets for product discounting, based on the previous months track record of customers, they give discounts to the customers.

Jerome Cobers - PeerSpot reviewer
      Senior HFM Consultant at Inplenion
      Excellent reliability, easy deployment over a period of time, and scalable for medium and large corporate companies
      • "We have found there is excellent stability with Oracle Hyperion."
      • "What I like is to have everything on one platform and not in different modules like Oracle Hyperion."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for cloud functionality and the accessibility of the service as a solution to a wider audience.

How has it helped my organization?

We are very happy with the product and we are beginning to move into OneStream as well.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems we have had with technical support when we are on a project, is we need technical support from senior-level technicians instead of being assigned, junior-level technicians. What I like is to have everything on one platform and not in different modules like Oracle Hyperion. For example, segregated planning and HFM consolidation. OneStream has everything together on one platform. There is less data movement, and with Oracle Hyperion, you have to move data between modules. I think that would be an improvement if they can merge those products. But it has been like that for so long I do not know if Oracle Hyperion has the appetite to do that.

I have been working with Oracle Hyperion for over twenty years.

We have found there to be excellent stability with Oracle Hyperion. We know that the latest version always has some bugs to work out and so we use the version before the latest one.

I have found Oracle Hyperion to be scalable. We are currently using it for medium to large corporate companies.

They respond quickly to our initial tickets. Sometimes we struggle on existing projects because Oracle Hyperion would assign us a junior technical support individual on these calls instead of a senior technical support representative, and it may take a longer period of time to have it resolved.

I think Oracle Hyperion has a good solution in comparison to other market comparables.

The initial setup is very easy and took us around four to five months to deploy.

We did have help with the deployment of Oracle Hyperion.

I hear customers complain about the licensing structure. Oracle Hyperion's licensing structures are quite expensive for some companies, especially medium-sized companies because of the user-based license.

What other advice do I have?

Do not underestimate the importance of testing in your project plan. The rule of time is to use the same amount of testing time that you would use on development. That is not always possible in the project plan because customers will come with a timeline and you have to squeeze where you can, and most of the time you actually sacrifice testing. So try and fight for more testing time, even if it extends the timeline. It is probably one of the top CPM products out there at the moment. I believe OneStream is making some headway. I think Oracle Hyperion has a challenge from OneStream at the moment, but Oracle Hyperion's still one of the top products out there. I would rate OracleHyperion a nine out of ten.