We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Domo OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Domo is #2 ranked solution in top Business Performance Management tools, #4 ranked solution in top Reporting Tools, #4 ranked solution in top Data Visualization tools, and #7 ranked solution in top Business Intelligence Tools. PeerSpot users give Domo an average rating of 8 out of 10. Domo is most commonly compared to Tableau: Domo vs Tableau. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Domo?

Domo is a cloud-based, mobile-first BI platform that helps companies drive more value from their data by helping organizations better integrate, interpret and use data to drive timely decision making and action across the business. The Domo platform enhances existing data warehouse and BI tools and allows users to build custom apps, automate data pipelines, and make data science accessible for anyone through automated insights that can be shared with internal or external stakeholders.

Find more information on The Business Cloud Here.

Domo was previously known as corda.

Domo Buyer's Guide

Download the Domo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Domo Customers

Capco, SABMiller, Stance, eBay, Sage North America, Goodwill Industries of Central Indiana, Telus, The Cliffs, OGIO International Inc., and many more!

Domo Video

Domo Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Domo pricing:
  • "No matter if you're a developer or an end-user, the licensing cost is around $12 per user per month."
  • "The price that they offered was around $200 per user license. It was pretty cheap at that time compared to other companies. I think they have revamped their pricing structure since then."
  • Domo Reviews

Business Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables us to manipulate data via ETL without writing query code
    • "With ETL transformations in SQL lists, you often write a lot of queries. You have to build a bunch of code for the data. With Domo, one of the pieces we have is Magic ETL. In Magic ETL, you don't need to write code. You don't need to be a specialist in SQL or any database query language."
    • "In Tableau, you can create virtually any kind of visualization. Based on your creativity, you can create a visualization on a human body structure, you can create a visualization on anything that you want. But Domo is limited to a few kinds of visualization views: standard things like bar, pie, and some other charts... I would like to see them add new views for presenting the data in the visualization space."

What is our primary use case?

One of our internal customers is a capital finance team. Before we reached out to them, they were pretty much handling all their data in Excel sheets. Their data has been expanding rapidly and they needed reporting in a visualization solution. They have different forecast methodologies and cycles, and different metrics within those forecasts types. They have various types of capital metrics. If you are from a finance background, you might have heard of what an IOI or an NPV or an IRR is. They had been doing it in Excel.

Ideally, to fulfill their needs, you would need two different solutions. One is a transformation solution. When you are handling huge amounts of data, you certainly need a database and, most commonly, what you prefer is SQL. Once your transmission is complete, you would also need a visualization solution. There are many available in the market.

With Domo, we can do everything in one place. We don't need a separate database. We can do ETL and the visualization in one location.

It's not on a device. It is completely cloud-based. Since we are a healthcare provider, we chose the secure instance of the public cloud: a PSI-certified instance.

How has it helped my organization?

Instead of having two different products, one for data transformation and one for visualization, we are able to do those functions using this tool, with one person or two persons at the max.

The day before yesterday, one of the teams wanted to see how its employees were performing in their line of business. That team has around 140 employees, and wanted to see what their current roles are, what their future roles will be, what their primary skills are, and what their secondary skills are. All this time, they've been using Excel sheets and they take a week's time to process. We put in a one-time effort of one week and, going forward, that particular team doesn't have to spend an entire week to provide an analysis to its leadership. All they have to do, once their data is updated, is push it into Domo and all the metrics that they want to see are readily available. It hardly takes five minutes, instead of one week. For that team it is definitely a great thing because the product manager doesn't have to sit for a week and do that. It has definitely made his life easier.

The same thing applies to the finance team. Our finance team gets its data on the 10th or 11th of every month and when they had to process that data in Excel sheets for another 10 days, the month was almost over. Here, again, things now happen in a couple of hours, and their data is ready the very next day and they are ready to present their finance metrics to their leadership before the 15th of the month. Based on that, they can plan their next month, or the upcoming forecast for financial metrics, more efficiently. Now they have 20 days instead of 10 days.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ETL. With ETL transformations in SQL lists, you often write a lot of queries. You have to build a bunch of code for the data. With Domo, one of the pieces we have is Magic ETL. In Magic ETL, you don't need to write code. You don't need to be a specialist in SQL or any database query language. You just need to have common sense or to know how to use Excel and you can do a better job than a querying professional or a coding professional. Magic ETL is one of the best features I have ever seen in the ETL world.

Also, you can limit the users. Finance data is very critical so not everyone can be seeing it. We can create customized security options and provide privileged options to groups or a particular person, so only they can view things.

What needs improvement?

In Tableau, you can create virtually any kind of visualization. Based on your creativity, you can create a visualization on a human body structure, you can create a visualization on anything that you want. But Domo is limited to a few kinds of visualization views: standard things like bar, pie, and some other charts. You can't create something outside of the box. I would like to see them add new views for presenting the data in the visualization space. That definitely needs improvement. We have provided this input to the product owners at Domo, so let's see what comes out of that.

I have been using Domo for the last two years.

The solution is very efficient and very good. So far, we haven't seen any outages. It's very fast and very interactive. No matter if we're dealing with millions and billions of rows of data, we never experience any lag, which is something we used to see in Tableau, Power BI, and other solutions. With Domo, never. It's as fast as you can imagine.

It is scalable. Our company is a classic example of that. Our company deals with healthcare data for the entire United States, part of Canada, and some parts of South America, and additional international locations. So our data is huge. Really huge. I don't think any other organization deals with this much data. And Domo scales as much as you want.

We have around between 1,500 and 2,000 customers using this, and their roles range from CIOs to vice presidents, directors, analysts, and financial analysts. Currently, in our company, it is not being used as actively as Tableau, but we are expanding usage. When this product was introduced in our organization, we had a customer base of around 20 or 30 people; two or three different teams. We are further expanding it to the entire organization. Our target for this year is to have around 6,000 to 7,000 folks onboard.

A few of our internal customers are using Tableau, a few are using QlikView, a few are using Power BI, and a few are using Domo. We have varied usage but we are trying to expand Domo to be used in place of the other tools.

I was never part of the initial setup, but I think it's straightforward. As with anything that you're getting from the cloud, you only have to establish your data connections to the tool. We use several things, including Excel files. It should be a straightforward exercise, instead of taking time.

I have read about how it is done in other companies and what I've seen is that implementation took less than two days.

There is no specific maintenance for the solution. Two people can do the job for a large organization, because the only thing that you need to determine is how you want to give access and what kind of access. That is done by our customer success manager, and there is a product manager who takes care of who should be given a Domo license and who should not be, in our company.

We have seen ROI with Domo. For example, our finance team invested in Domo and they have saved around 20 days per month. They are now working more efficiently and their numbers have drastically changed compared to their previous year's performance. They can see how they're trending for the last month and they're efficiently planning their expenditures and forecasting accordingly.

Similarly, for our technology teams, we are doing different SLA metrics for incidents, problems, their availability, storage, etc. At one go they are now able to see the problem areas that are not performing and they can plan their technology maintenance accordingly. For some of the organizations within our company, their availability was around 91 percent. Against the standard of 99.9 percent available, they were losing 8 percent per month, which was going to cost us a lot in terms of penalties. They have identified their problem areas now and they are avoiding paying penalties.

Each of our internal customers has its own ROI like that.

No matter if you're a developer or an end-user, the licensing cost is around $12 per user per month. I'm not aware of other costs but there would likely be some type of cost for the storage that we use, because we're using Domo's cloud storage.

Before choosing Domo we evaluated other options, including Tableau and QlikView. But the problem with Tableau was that it was very slow. It was extremely slow because of the amount of data that we are trying to push in. It was not efficient and stable.

And the problem is with Tableau and QlikView is that you would need a separate ETL tool altogether, like SQL. With Domo we don't need that. We can directly talk to any kind of data source that is available in the market. That is what separates it from the others.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I have learned is that this makes the job very easy. To do some things in Tableau would take three days, but in Domo I do them in one day. It has made me a lazy person. But I'm now able to focus on other important things. I'm now learning other technologies whenever I have time. Domo has taught me that you shouldn't limit yourself to one area of expertise. You should always expand to new areas.

I would definitely suggest you consider Domo if you don't have any cost constraints. The way I see it, implementing Tableau is more expensive than using Domo. A Tableau user license, per annum, costs around $1,000, I think, in India. And then you need to have a Tableau server to publish the dashboards that you have developed. There is a lot of cost involved in that. This is a major selling point for Domo.

Also, with other dashboards, when you develop a new dashboard you have to develop a mobile version again, or you have to make some enhancements to a mobile version. But with Domo, you don't have to do that. What I've done on dashboards for the web works as well on the mobile application version. These are the things we pitch when we have an initial meeting with a potential new internal customer.

There aren't any version names, as such, for the product that we use here. All the updates and features get upgraded. Before any new feature is going to be released into the production version, we get to review the beta version of it. Based on the feedback from the customer, we decide whether we want to have that featured in our instance or not. So it's not like we have a version one, two, or three, rather that the features get updated as and when required.

Private Cloud
    Rakshit Makan
    Business Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    Very easy to check your data and build charts
    • "Domo is not a difficult tool to learn. All you need to know is the SQL for the ETL part. You don't need to write much code. That's the great part. It uses legacy languages, like SQL, which is very common among developers who then don't have to go and learn Domo's own syntax. Therefore, you don't have to learn another hard language to use Domo."
    • "The ETL way of storing is not up to mark. You have to rely on the naming convention that you're using in Domo because there are no folder systems where you can collate all your workflows and put them into separate folders. A folder system should be there so you can easily identify how you are working. Once you want to make some changes to your ETL, then you can see the whole lineage, identifying what is there and not there."

What is our primary use case?

I collated all the reports that we got from Domo's APIs, then performed some ETLs and processing so we could build a final output from which the dashboard would get powered. Then, we created all types of stuff in Domo. At that point, the license let us use all the available jobs in Domo. Therefore, we were using tables and pie charts. For demographics, we are using the geographical charts for Australia and the USA, as the brands we deal with are mainly from Australia and the USA.

31 million rows of data are getting processed every hour within Domo.

Domo has their own internal servers and phone apps.

How has it helped my organization?

I was using Domo comprehensively and exclusively in my previous organization. In this organization, the visualization has been improved. There were glitches when you went from one page to another, but that lag has been corrected.

The basic levels of Domo were not made for developers. It was made for anyone who is coming from a nontechnical background. They can utilize Domo on the fly, e.g., if you have data and want to see a type of visualization on the fly, then you can use Domo to quickly examine your data.

What is most valuable?

Domo is a comprehensive tool in ETL, visualization, and the media features that we use for the direct connection to all the digital marketing platforms. For the database, we had two to three types of ETL that we could use. It comprehensiveness was major for us.

The API systems are very good. They were an attractive feature of Domo at the time of  purchased.

The new feature data is pretty amazing that they are providing for insights on the side of charts. If you don't even want to be in the dashboard, then there is a quick dashboard that they are creating based on the data you are uploading. You don't have to write a single piece of the code. You just have to upload your data, then you can use all of the visualizations, which is a new feature that I really like. A person who doesn't know much about programming or SQL can see his numbers on a graph, pie charts, and bar charts.

Domo is not a difficult tool to learn. All you need to know is the SQL for the ETL part. You don't need to write much code. That's the great part. It uses legacy languages, like SQL, which is very common among developers who then don't have to go and learn Domo's own syntax. Therefore, you don't have to learn another hard language to use Domo.

What needs improvement?

The ETL way of storing is not up to mark. You have to rely on the naming convention that you're using in Domo because there are no folder systems where you can collate all your workflows and put them into separate folders. A folder system should be there so you can easily identify how you are working. Once you want to make some changes to your ETL, then you can see the whole lineage, identifying what is there and not there. I felt that this could be drastically improved.

The utilization part: We cannot play much with the UX/UI.

While they have APIs, they kept on failing if the data volume was too large. There was a 10 to 20 percent chances that it would fail. I don't know what improvements they have done in the past year since I have used it, but previously the failures were quite consistent in the API stuff. I would like to see them work on that.

When you are looking at a full-fledged product, you want pretty dashboards or storyboarding. In these cases, you cannot use Domo. That's the drawback. It's exclusively for exploratory data analysis (EDA).

I worked in Domo from 2018 to late 2019. I am going through some migrations from Domo to some other tool. Before that, for about a year and a half, I was developing the deal and visualizations, then getting connections between the API data in Domo to extract all the digital marketing data. Mainly, I was laying in the digital marketing domain, like Facebook, Amazon, and Google ads. These were being heavily used as KPIs in my organization. Right now, I am in the touch with the tool for the visualization and deal part, but not for the API connection.

The product is quite stable. From my point of view, it's quite a good tool to use if you need all types of analysis.  Stability-wise, it's doing well. I don't see any lag or other glitches apart from ones that I mentioned for improvement.

Not many people are needed for the maintenance of this solution. Management of Domo is very easy. Apart from developer access, we can keep it to limited people. Normal users looking at visualization are given read-only access.  Therefore, in terms of access, you can define the roles of the users. That's easy to manage.

They are doing well with scalability where other companies are struggling with it. Domo is providing a cool feature that other companies struggle to work on, which is something amazing to see. Innovation-wise, Domo is doing well.

In my organization, there are four users who use the Domo license. Two of them are managers, another is the group head, and the fourth is an analyst.

The technical support is very responsive. They are ready to reply, always having a solution ready. They are good at their work and what they do.

We previously used Tableau. We shifted to Domo because Tableau was getting expensive and the features that we get in Domo are what you get in Tableau.

The deployment was very easy. You don't have to buy your own server. These visualizations are nice because they have their own structure to handle these things, which is a good feature.

There was another company who was entrusted with Domo's setup.

My previous organization is still using Domo and are happy with what Domo is giving them.

Our company purchased a private license for approximately 20 users.

With Domo's competitors, you have to go in separately, buying your own server. The drawback with Domo is it doesn't allow us to work on the UX/UI much because of the layout. You cannot go around doing a full comprehensive view with Domo. If you have seen Tableau or QlikView, they provide very good UX/UI in their products. This makes their dashboard appealing to see. Domo lacks that and was not a product created for storyboarding. It is more for analysis.

The advanced analytic charts are easy to create. If you compare it with other tools in the market, it's very easy to check your data and build charts.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. The product is quite good. I would rate it as a seven and a half (out of 10).

It makes things more attractive and simpler. When you come to the analytics part, you want things to be simpler because there are other areas that you want to focus on than just creating a dashboard.

Learn what your peers think about Domo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Reporting Analyst at a recruiting/HR firm with 201-500 employees
    We can customize dashboards with KPIs our clients want to monitor on a day-to-day basis
    • "It has the best GUI. And it already has an ETL tool embedded in it..."
    • "The forecasting feature, the regression features, and the Python libraries could all be improved. They're all in beta."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for data modeling and data structuring for my clients. An entire data set cannot be utilized for visualization. There are a few data points which can give us exact output, which clients use for their KPIs.

We try to minimize the data and extract the required data for the key performance indicators, which helps us to drive more monitoring results for our clients and to give them exact information, even in the forecasting.

How has it helped my organization?

The design dashboard has given us more leverage to customize things. And with the click of a button we can quickly extract the required reports and then share them to the client if the client does not have access to Domo.

It allows our clients to see data on their day-to-day business and to review things at the management level: how the business is performing, what regions are doing good numbers, which region is performing best, and where business is low. They need to find the reasons for differences in performance, whether its marketing or recruitment lapses, etc. They are able to share the insights with their counterparts and this is where the decision-making comes from.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the

• ETL
    • SQL.

ETL is the feature where we can do much of the data structuring, per the client's requirements. With ETL there are things a layman can understand.

SQL is the most used database system and we depend on it for the extraction of required data. However, unlike the ETL, SQL can only be understood by a tenured person who is into the details of SQL coding etc. That's the major difference between the two. Both are highly utilized at my end.

Over the time I have been using Domo, I've seen many updates pushing great features into it in new versions. Every new release has more and more insights. A major improvement was the design dashboards wherein we can customize dashboards with the KPIs that clients want to monitor on a day-to-day basis. And in a significant number of cases, we showcase monthly-review or quarterly-review data. They are quick enough that our clients can download the entire dashboard in a PPT and start their review. Others review things within Domo itself.

What needs improvement?

The forecasting feature, the regression features, and the Python libraries could all be improved. They're all in beta. It is feasible to go out and extract data from libraries and attach work to the libraries, but with the respect to initial insights, I would like to see more help from Domo. I would like more information on how to utilize those libraries.

I've been using the solution for almost two years.

New releases are communicated with a popup saying a new release will be coming through on a certain date. We definitely check the data to make sure everything went smoothly. We'll reach out to about any bugs through the active community forum. We have received the answers we need there.

I do see limitations with respect to the Domo Appstore. If a client has a specific requirement, we need to reach out to Domo and get things installed for them.

There is the Domo Community which is a live brainstorming session with Domo experts who answer any queries. I make myself available to participate in that, so that I get quick answers to my queries. If there is anything beyond that, we, as an organization, reach out to the community. We will first try solutions if someone else has had the same kinds of bugs. If they have the answers we can finish it up ourselves. Otherwise, we have a BI team that will reach out to Domo and get the insights.

Overall, I would rate their technical support at eight out of 10.

In the first year, when I joined the organization, I was introduced to Domo. Prior to that I had experience with Tableau. When I started diving into the details of Domo, I got to know it and found it has the best GUI. And it already has an ETL tool embedded in it, for extract, transform, and load. That was not available in the other tool I used.

Traditionally, things were done with Excel, but I don't think it is quick enough to turn things around for our clients.

The setup is simple for someone who knows the system. If it's the first time doing it, the setup will be tricky.

We go with a four-week implementation strategy, wherein we gather requirements from the clients, we have a brainstorming session to understand what kind of system they are using and what sources they are using. We'll extract and build the dashboards for them. And then we come to the documentation, where we document the details of requirements and then we deliver it, based on the timeline. This is all done within the four-week period, and we give them the standard set of cards.

From our end, for the reporting from Domo, we need just one person involved and that same person handles the day-to-day maintenance.

One of our clients, for example, sees on a monthly basis how much money they are saving, on a cumulative basis. They say a certain type of conversion was only at 40 percent and now it has increased to 65 percent.

The pricing is partnership-based for us. There are no other costs for Domo aside from the standard fees.

What other advice do I have?

It produces the best output. I'm quite satisfied with the tool.

We take the initiative, on our end, to give the client the best insights on how to use Domo. If they are sharing Domo access, we help them to understand how they can best use the tool and how they can change the chart visualizations, to make them suitable for their review and for understanding. Those are the key factors where we advise clients so that, with the click of a button, they have their own insights coming in.

The end-users at our clients include program managers, in particular, and then the top level, the executive level. Most of our clients have around five users.

The tool is very popular in the Asia-Pacific region. It's spreading its wings. Even in India, I've seen people starting to use this tool. The major advantages are its GUI and that it's in the cloud. The visualization features, with its colors, are friendly to the eye. It doesn't display information in dark colors.

I would definitely be curious to explore Domo more and more because it has features such as data scientist rules. You can apply their forecasting. I intend to explore those areas more.

Senior Software Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to connect to and visualize a data source, but the export functionality could be improved
    • "In Workbench 5, they have come up with a very useful feature called Upsert. When you're pushing data into the data set, if the data is already available it will update the data, and if that the data is not there it will insert it. That is a beneficial feature that they introduced in the latest version."
    • "When you're exporting a graph out of Domo — suppose it is in the form of a donut chart or it is in form of a stack — the data comes out in tabular format, not as a graph. When exporting the data, I would like them to create a tab for graphs and another tab with the data in tabular format."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to work on many business problems using the data visualization. Currently, I'm working for a company which deals with title insurance. We use Domo to visualize the data: How many open orders are created, which agent performed better, which region got the most orders, how many were closed or lost. Our company has data related to mortgages so that's what we use it on. In our division, directors and VPs get insight from the data.

Workbench is deployed on-premises and then we have a web application, a cloud application, for visualization purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Users can log in and directly view the data. Unlike some other visualization tools, they don't need to play around. They don't need to do more steps, like with Tableau or Power BI. Those solutions are a little bit complicated whereas Domo is quite helpful.

What is most valuable?

There are so many charts available to visualize our data in various ways. There are donut charts, stack charts, bar graphs, and we have geographic displays. We can select things based on the given requirements and on what needs to be displayed.

In Workbench 5, they have come up with a very useful feature called Upsert. When you're pushing data into the data set, if the data is already available it will update the data, and if that the data is not there it will insert it. That is a beneficial feature that they introduced in the latest version.

It's very user-friendly. When you get into Domo you just search for what they call a card, the one which will serve your purpose. You can click on it and you see the visualization. To see the data, you just click on the card and you can view it. You can also export those reports as well.

Connecting Workbench to your data source is really easy and then you can visualize it or choose among many other options. You can connect through Amazon Redshift, or any AWS-based database, or any cloud-based data sets. You can also upload your data set through Excel and CSV files. It provides a lot of convenience.

They also provide many plugins to collate data. If you want to extract the data from Facebook, Twitter, etc., the plugins are built-in. All you need to do is add the plugins to your Domo Workbench and you can extract the data.

What needs improvement?

Domo as a solution can be improved in various ways. For example, when you're exporting a graph out of Domo — suppose it is in the form of a donut chart or it is in form of a stack — the data comes out in tabular format, not as a graph. When exporting the data, I would like them to create a tab for graphs and another tab with the data in tabular format.

I have been using Domo for more than two years.

When we started using Domo, it was only one or two years old and it wasn't quite stable. It was still in development/beta mode, but now it's quite stable.

It's quite scalable because they keep on adding new features. It keeps up with the market trends.

We used Tableau prior to using Domo. It was because of the organization and licensing that we switched to Domo.

The initial setup is very straightforward. All you need to do is have Workbench set up in an on-prem server, and you need Domo access, the cloud link. That's it, and you're ready to develop or publish any report. It doesn't take much time. All you need to do is create a data set and, once your data set is available, you create cards. However long it takes you to create a card is how long it takes until you have results.

Domo consultants will be assigned to each of your projects. They are really helpful if you come across any gap. You can directly contact them, have a call with them, and they will help a lot. That's part of their standard tech support.

In our organization, Domo is widely used. The division I work in has one of Domo's staff to support us, dedicatedly our division. Somebody else is assigned to another division.

It's saving use effort and time but I can't talk about how they affect ROI because I'm not familiar with the cost of the solution.

I'm familiar with Tableau. Tableau is more evolved and has many more features than Domo does, but Domo is still evolving. At some point in time it may be in a parallel position.

One of the major differences between them is the UI look and feel. In that area, Tableau is better. In Domo, you upload the data set and then you create the job which will be NRT — near real-time. You keep on scheduling the job; you can schedule it to run every minute. But in Tableau you can have a data set cached in your system or you can have a live data set from the DB. You can directly connect it from the database.

What other advice do I have?

There are more than 500 people using it in our company, although that's just a rough estimate. They are mostly in high-level management: SVPs, VPs, and CFOs. And it doesn't take many people to support and maintain it. It's low-maintenance.

It's a good tool, overall. I would rate it at seven out of 10. There are a few features that Domo doesn't have. If they keep on adding features and work on the UI, that could make it a 10. I would rate Tableau higher.

Hareesh Kumar
    DW/BI Architect at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Flexible charts and variety of visualizations, out-of-the-box, add to the usability
    • "One feature which I have found to be very interesting is the Beast manager, where you can create calculated fields. They are shared in one common repository so someone else can use the same calculated fields; they don't have to rewrite or reinvent the APIs."
    • "It's too early for me to say that something needs improvement, but there are times when there have been some flexibility issues with Domo... Tableau has a window function which can be integrated into a calculated field. That is missing in Domo so you have to make changes to the data set using ETL or SQL."

What is our primary use case?

I have a few sample datasets that I have uploaded to try out different use cases. Domo has an integrated ETL so I'm trying out its ETL solution.

What is most valuable?

One feature which I have found to be very interesting is the Beast manager, where you can create calculated fields. They are shared in one common repository so someone else can use the same calculated fields; they don't have to rewrite or reinvent the APIs. They can take them from the common repository of Beast Mode. That is quite an interesting feature.

What needs improvement?

It's too early for me to say that something needs improvement, but there are times when there have been some flexibility issues with Domo. Maybe I still need to explore more, but we don't have any window functionality in Domo. Tableau has a window function which can be integrated into a calculated field. That is missing in Domo so you have to make changes to the data set using ETL or SQL. Only then you can bring it into the report. The window functionality that is missing is something that Domo can work on.

I'm trying out Domo as a PoC for our company. I have been using it for about three weeks to a month.

It's too early to tell about scalability because I have not worked on huge data sets as of yet. I've heard there are certain apps that you bring in, if you have millions of records, to get them into the cloud. But I have not tried that out myself.

The setup of Domo was straightforward. Their online resources are quite extensive, which was something I wasn't expecting. They have a Knowledge Base and a lot of online learning materials.

I have worked with Tableau for a couple of years. Both Domo and Tableau have their pros and cons.

• Domo only has a cloud deployment while Tableau has on-premise.
    • Domo has a complete, integrated ETL solution built-in, so it is quite powerful. That is something which is different from Tableau.
    • In terms of the chart types, I would recommend Domo's charts over Tableau. Domo has charts, out-of-the-box, which are flexible and show many numbers, and it has a couple of year-on-year comparison charts, which you can directly use. With Tableau, you have to create them, which creates a lot of difficulty. So charts are something which are very good in Domo. With the sheer number of charts and visualizations, Domo scores over Tableau.
    • But in terms of user flexibility, in my opinion Tableau has the upper hand, especially because Domo does not have the window functionality. There is a little more flexibility in terms of specific formulas that can be created within Tableau. You don't need to do it in the ETL or using SQL; you can do it within a report.

But in terms of what I have seen overall, Domo scores over Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

It's too early for me to comment in detail because there may be some functions which I have not explored yet, especially in terms of windows and fixing a formula. LODs and windows are one thing, but I'm not sure if there are other functionalities which I have yet to come across.

But if you are looking for a very quick solution, and if you also want some ETL activities — if you don't have a dedicated ETL team — definitely go for Domo, rather than Tableau. Domo gives you that ETL advantage. Also, in terms of mobile usage and visualizations, Domo has an advantage. If you already have a dedicated ETL team and you want to go into specific reports and some customization of reports, Tableau would be the choice.

Private Cloud
    Download our free Domo Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.