Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Amazon CloudWatch OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon CloudWatch is #13 ranked solution in top Cloud Monitoring Software. PeerSpot users give Amazon CloudWatch an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Amazon CloudWatch is most commonly compared to Datadog: Amazon CloudWatch vs Datadog. Amazon CloudWatch is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Amazon CloudWatch Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon CloudWatch Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Amazon CloudWatch?

Amazon CloudWatch is a monitoring service for AWS cloud resources and the applications you run on AWS. You can use Amazon CloudWatch to collect and track metrics, collect and monitor log files, set alarms, and automatically react to changes in your AWS resources. Amazon CloudWatch can monitor AWS resources such as Amazon EC2 instances, Amazon DynamoDB tables, and Amazon RDS DB instances, as well as custom metrics generated by your applications and services, and any log files your applications generate. You can use Amazon CloudWatch to gain system-wide visibility into resource utilization, application performance, and operational health. You can use these insights to react and keep your application running smoothly.

Amazon CloudWatch Customers

AirAsia, Airbnb, Aircel, APUS, Avazu, Casa & Video, Futbol Club Barcelona (FCBarcelona), National Taiwan University, redBus

Amazon CloudWatch Video

Amazon CloudWatch Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon CloudWatch pricing:
"Its pricing is reasonable. It is sometimes tricky, but it is reasonable as compared to others."

Amazon CloudWatch Reviews

Head of Data Architect at LendingTree
Instantaneous response when monitoring logs and KPIs
  • "CloudWatch immediately hooks up and connects to the KPIs and all the metrics."
  • "It would be beneficial for CloudWatch to provide an API interface and some kind of custom configuration."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to monitor our AWS resources. We used Azure extensively but a couple of years back we moved to use both Azure and AWS. Currently, we have three main use cases.

Our predominant use case is monitoring our S3 which includes terabytes of data. We monitor all the buckets and containers plus who has access to them, the thresholds, and user data. We constantly watch all the KPIs and CloudWatch metrics.

Our second use case is watching logs and processes for other products such as AWS tools, AWS Glue, and Redshift which includes a few terabytes of data.

Our third use case is minor and with Athena.

Our fourth use case is new. We just started using SageMaker for a small POC and want to complete all of our data modeling and logs.

In the future, we will be using the solution with Airflow, which will become one of our biggest use cases.

CloudWatch works very well with any of the AWS resources so we always monitor through it.

How has it helped my organization?

Our business flow has improved because we monitor email thresholds and immediately get an alert from CloudWatch if use goes beyond thresholds. Without this alert, we would have to use external monitoring.

What is most valuable?

It is valuable that CloudWatch collects all the metrics. I primarily like the RUM. There is an instantaneous response when monitoring logs and KPIs. CloudWatch immediately hooks up and connects to the KPIs and all the metrics.

What needs improvement?

Even though the product works well with most AWS, it is a nightmare to use with Snowflake. Snowflake is a SaaS product hosted on AWS, but using it with CloudWatch still doesn't give us the support we need so we rely on separate monitoring.

We have many databases such as MongoDB and SQL Server, RDS, and PostgreSQL. For these, CloudWatch is good but a little basic and additional monitoring tools are required. It's challenging to use one monitoring tool for S3 and another monitoring tool for Snowflake.

It would be beneficial for CloudWatch to provide an API interface and some kind of custom configuration because everybody uses APIs now. Suppose Snowflake says we'd get all the same things with MongoDB such as APIs, hookups, or even monitoring. That would allow us to build our own custom solution because that is the biggest limitation of CloudWatch. If you go a bit beyond AWS products even if they're hosted on AWS, CloudWatch doesn't work very well.

I'd also like an improved UI because it hasn't significantly improved in a few years and we want to see it at a more granular level. I get my KPIs in a bucket usage for yesterday but I'd like to see them by a particular date and week. We have three buckets rolled by hundreds of people and I want to see use cases for an individual to determine where I need to customize and provide more room. I want aggregation on multiples, not one terameter.

Amazon CloudWatch
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Amazon CloudWatch. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using the solution for two years.

The solution is very stable with absolutely no issues. We used to see a delay when we were setting up three buckets but now we receive instantaneous notifications.

The solution is definitely scalable. Most of our development environment uses it and we are running three teams of 150-200 people. Usage levels are different between developers and the support team so the total users at one time is 100-150.

The solution is managed by our internal AWS maintenance team. Seven people manage our cloud environment and seven manage our platform side for not just CloudWatch, but everything on AWS.

We still need to find a solution for Snowflake and Tableau environments unless CloudWatch provides better support in the future.

The support staff are seasoned professionals and are good. Amazon provides the benchmark for support and nothing else compares.

On-premises, we have used other solutions like Sumo Logic, Azure Logic Apps and others. Not everyone uses AWS so we have a lot of tools we use.

Previously we used some main external app logic but it didn't work well with AWS tools. I would have to figure it out and configure Aurora to do something or find a way to do S3 buckets. Those solutions worked well for on-premises, but not with AWS and clouds.

The setup for this solution is pretty simple and anyone can do it if they are on AWS. Setting up all our VPC and private links connecting to our gateways took some time, but CloudWatch setup was a no-brainer and took a couple of days.

Our implementation was done in conjunction with a third party. We like to bring in a few engineers to work with our engineers and then we partner with a third party like Slalom to help with integration. Our process is a mix of all three with AWS staff helping for a couple of weeks and Slalom for a couple of months. Our team slowly takes over management.

We plan to increase our usage because we don't have another monitoring tool right now. With the Airflow orchestration, our CloudWatch use will significantly increase as we monitor all of our RUM, notifications, jobs, and runs. Our runs and billings will increase 20-30% once we start using Airflow.

Because CloudWatch doesn't support all externally hosted products, I rate it a nine out of ten for ROI.

I don't know specifics about pricing because we pay for all our AWS services in a monthly bundle and that includes CloudWatch, Redshift, VPCs, EC2s, S3s, A39s, and others. We spend about $5 million per year on AWS with CloudWatch being about 5% of that cost.

I did not evaluate other solutions. Once we moved to AWS, we looked for a tool that was native to that cloud. That is the process we are currently undertaking for Snowflake and Tableau because CloudWatch doesn't support them well. We do try to use CloudWatch as much as possible.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is pretty good because it automatically comes and works well with AWS. Before you use any product from AWS, think about whether it is supported or how it will interface. I suggest using the solution with one product at a time and then transitioning to important interfaces.

If you find you can't configure the solution with Redshift for example, and are struggling to build your S3 even though both use S3, then you may have to find another monitoring solution. It makes sense to follow Amazon's best practices. They advise not to use certain monitoring components alone but to use them as an integral part of your system. Monitor your ecosystem and think of a high-level picture of it rather than just determining that CloudWatch must be a part of Redshift. This solution is just one part of an entire system.

I would rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Santosh Devara - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Architect at Mercedes-Benz
Easy to set up metrics repository with good data analytics, but lacks real-time data stream monitoring
  • "Setting up this product was easy. I found data analytics as its most valuable feature."
  • "This product lacks some features: real-time data stream monitoring, application performance monitoring, mobile app monitoring, and live dashboards. Its workflows also need improvement."

What is most valuable?

In Amazon CloudWatch, I found their data analytics services most valuable. They are what we are looking for. We are utilizing Kinesis Data Firehose, Logstash Elastic, and CloudWatch Logs. There are many services that we are using, and in our case, we are using three.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement that we want to see in Amazon CloudWatch is a more realistic monitoring. It's real-time data stream monitoring we are looking for. Our application is a huge application that will run on AWS. It has a lot of services that are running, so we want to monitor those services, e.g. message review and frontend application in ELB (Elastic Load Balancing).

It's not only monitoring that we want to do. We also want to visualize that monitoring data through dashboards. This is the main reason we plan to try Datadog because in Datadog, we can create a dashboard and we can visualize the log data through the dashboard.

We are not happy about the dashboards. In Amazon CloudWatch, they can fetch all the logs, but the service is not good at delivering the data into the dashboard, plus there's the lack of real data, e.g. in application performance monitoring. We find this product lacking and this is why we want to look for a new service that can cover our needs.

Additional features we would like to see in the future on this product include more API performance features, e.g. application performance monitoring. We also want live dashboards and well-designed workflows.

We also want integrative services, e.g. custom logs we can check, as we are not satisfied with what Amazon CloudWatch currently has. We are looking for more competency on these services: dashboards, real-time monitoring, real user monitoring, and application performance monitoring. We also have more and more mobile apps, so mobile app monitoring is also important.

These are the key areas that people are looking for, and what we'd like to see on this product in the future.

I've been using Amazon CloudWatch for over six years.

Amazon CloudWatch is scalable to some extent.

Technical support for this product is okay. They have a different support standard which they are maintaining. When you pay for premium support, you'll get your issue resolved within two hours. If it is standard support, it takes one to two days. The support you get depends on the type of support you paid for.

This solution is easy to set up. It's not complex. You just need to run the Amazon CloudWatch agent in all the services. Once we install the agent into our services, we'll be able to fetch the log regularly.

I evaluated Nagios.

What other advice do I have?

We're using Amazon CloudWatch. Our clients are using different monitoring services. Some are using Prometheus, while some are using Nagios, but in our platform overall, all the services are located in AWS only.

I have no advice for people looking into using Amazon CloudWatch, but in our case, all our services are running on the AWS platform, so initially we thought of using all their cloud-based native services to save on admin and infrastructure costs, including other connectivities. That was our plan initially, but now client requirements have been more demanding.

The client wants a real-time monitoring solution which is something we are unable to get from the product, so we are looking for a new solution like Datadog, or New Relic, or Prometheus.

My rating for Amazon CloudWatch is a seven out of ten.

I'm a consumer and I'm working in a company like Accenture. It's a service-based organization. It's a MNC (multinational corporation), so it's global and we have multiple clients. These multiple clients have different strategies and they want their applications to be set up in the Cloud. I'm the AWS architect, so I do the solutions and provide solutions for them, e.g. cost optimization, infrastructure optimization, etc.

What clients find most challenging thing in the Cloud is monitoring, so we are looking for a centralized monitoring solution where we can get everything in a single window, but we want a service that's similar to Amazon CloudWatch. We collect data and we need to analyze that log and analyze the metrics, so we create a refined monitoring data, then we publish it by using the Amazon QuickSight dashboard. There are three different services we have to use, so instead of using all these different services, we want to use only one service: a centralized monitoring service to meet all our needs. This is what we are looking to have in the future.

Amazon CloudWatch
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director at Fidelity Investments
Useful, easy to set yo, and offers good logs
  • "Our team finds it overall quite useful."
  • "We'd like the interface to be as easy as Datadog."

What is our primary use case?

We're only using it for collecting the logs and forwarding it, and then in some areas, we use it for scheduling stuff and there are some new alerts that come in, and then from there, they had to trigger some Lambdas.

We build the monitoring and everything on top of the Datadog.

What is most valuable?

I'm a technical manager and they use CloudWatch to forward all the requests to Datadog. I don't know the specific features inside the CloudWatch that they found useful.

Our team finds it overall quite useful.

Everything is based off of CloudWatch. Logs stream through CloudWatch and then everything is piggybacked, the telemetry and everything is coming out of that.

It's pretty simple to set up.

What needs improvement?

I haven't heard any complaints about the product.

It would be nice if they could make it in such a way that we wouldn't have to rely on Datadog as much.

We'd like the interface to be as easy as Datadog.

The department has been using the solution for about two and a half to three years. They've used it for a while and I recently joined the team.

It's stable. The performance is good. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We haven't heard so much about any scalability issues. It scales well. It's about the volume and we pump so many logs, particularly in the space of the Datadog, it becomes expensive. We've put restrictions around it based on price and not based on that it can't be done. We just stick to the logs, indexed in size, so people complain that it costs so much.

When it comes to writing the PI data into the logs, we always ask: should we do it, not do it? It's all to do with your teams. Overall, for us, it has become a widely accepted solution to be used in the public cloud.

We have about five dozen technologists that use the solution currently. We might have between 100 and 500 end-users in different business groups.

We've used support in the past and they are always available to us when we need them. We haven't had issues getting help.

We have their solution architects available for us. We can call them anytime and they come in. They're extremely good with us.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We also use Datadog.

People find the dashboarding of Datadog to be very comfortable and very elegant. That's one of the main things that come out. They take the data from the CloudWatch and they tally with the costing aspect as well, however, mainly, people find it useful on the dashboard. They like the alerts et cetera. The usability and search are great.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward and simple. It's easy. It's not overly complex.

The usage in both CloudWatch and Datadog is about the volume. People simply have to be mindful of how much they want and how they want to index and manage them. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward.

I'm not sure what the exact cost is.

What other advice do I have?

We're an enterprise group. We may have a partnership with Amazon. I'm not sure.

We mainly use the public cloud. We also have hybrid setups.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten. It does what it does and it does well. However, the UI could always be better.

Shaamil Ashraff - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect - Database Administration at Mitra Innovation
Robust, easy to use, and good monitoring
  • "We have found the pricing to be reasonable."
  • "I do not know whether or not CloudWatch can be integrated with on-prem services."

What is our primary use case?

The majority of the use cases are monitoring of all the AWS services, which can be integrated into CloudWatch. Also, the application logs also can be integrated. Due to that, if there are multiple instances they can be monitored through CloudWatch. The monitoring can be automated as well. It has automated thresholds that can be set for alerting. Therefore, we use CloudWatch for monitoring and incident alerts.

What is most valuable?

It's simple to use. It's not complex. The simplicity of the configuration is great. The product is also easy to set up.

It's stable.

The scalability is good.

We have found the pricing to be reasonable.

The technical support is good.

The dashboards and monitoring have been great. It's user-friendly.

It offers good security in general.

What needs improvement?

We haven't come across any shortcomings.

The costs could always be cheaper.

I do not know whether or not CloudWatch can be integrated with on-prem services. I would like to see, for example, if it's a hybrid environment, that potential, however, I'm not quite sure whether it's available or not.

I've used the solution for eight months.

I haven't come across any unavailability of CloudWatch monitoring services. It's a very stable solution. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. I have a total of three clients that I'm managing. All three clients are using CloudWatch as well.

Technical support is very good.

The solution is very simple to set up. It's not overly difficult or complex. It's also easy to configure.

How long it takes to deploy depends. CloudWatch is just a click away, however, integrating other services into CloudWatch, takes time and it all depends on what kind of complex scenarios you need to monitor. It's an iterative thing. For example, when we pinup other parameters that we are going to monitor on CloudWatch, it all takes different time limits and it takes a little bit of learning of the specific application. We cannot actually tell, on the implementation level, how long it will take. We cannot give a specific time range. However, activating CloudWatch is a few minutes and just a few clicks.

You don't need additional staff for configuration, you would need only one. Of course, it all depends on their specialty. For example, if a person who's doing a program would like to integrate into CloudWatch, that specific specialized person would know what needs to be done. The DBA would want to send some monitoring parameters into CloudWatch, so that person would do that part of it. CloudWatch is segregated into different roles. It's not the same person most of the time who does all the configuration.

There is a clear return on investment. You can reduce a lot of manual staff and physical staff monitoring. You can get CloudWatch to do that work for you and you can save a lot based on that.

The cost is all based on usage and processing. There's no separate licensing cost request.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution. Whoever is using Amazon services has to consider using CloudWatch as a bundled solution so that the systems are properly monitored and notified. If anybody is using any other Amazon services, they definitely should consider using CloudWatch. That's my recommendation.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's a robust service.

Ummekulsum Musekhan - PeerSpot reviewer
DevOps Engineer at Talabat
Good for infrastructure monitoring and workload monitoring on AWS, but doesn't support application monitoring and reports generation
  • "You can enable alarms and metrics, and it has robust integration with AWS services. You can also trigger events. For example, if the CPU utilization is above 80%, it can launch a new instance for you."
  • "For monitoring applications or for APM, CloudWatch has some limitations. You cannot monitor application performance from CloudWatch, and you have to go for a third-party tool."

What is our primary use case?

We are kind of consultants. We maintain our customers' environment on AWS.

What is most valuable?

CloudWatch is good to use for infrastructure monitoring and workload monitoring on AWS. It is good for monitoring AWS infrastructure and services.

What needs improvement?

For monitoring applications or for APM, CloudWatch has some limitations. You cannot monitor application performance from CloudWatch, and you have to go for a third-party tool.

A major drawback of CloudWatch is that you cannot create reports. They should add the functionality for creating some reports so that the users can download those reports. Currently, you can see the old data, but you cannot generate reports. So, if some of our customers ask us for monthly or weekly reports, there is a limitation, and we have to go for a third-party tool to generate reports.

I have been working with Amazon CloudWatch for two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. You can do alarms, and you can send logs.

We have many customers. We have enterprise customers, and we also have medium-sized customers.

Their technical support is good. If you have AWS business support, AWS technical guys can support you a lot.

We have worked with Datadog and New Relic. New Relic is pretty good in application performance. It gives you a lot of insights. Two of our customers use it.

Its setup is easy. AWS documentation is there, and you can find a lot of guidance on it. You can configure it easily.

Its pricing is reasonable. It is sometimes tricky, but it is reasonable as compared to others.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it depending on what a customer wants to achieve or what is the requirement for monitoring.

I would rate Amazon CloudWatch a six out of 10.

Fernando Cunha JR - PeerSpot reviewer
Tech Lead & Solutions Architect at DXC
Good portability and easy to use but needs to be easier to configure
  • "The solution is easy to use."
  • "The configuration capabilities could be better."

What is most valuable?

The portability that we have in Amazon is great. It's very different than the other solutions on offer.

The solution is easy to use. I find it quite enjoyable.

What needs improvement?

The portability of the Datadog is much more flexible for us. The client does not need to have Amazon services for the entire life of the project, unfortunately. They can change. But for Amazon to move over to Google Cloud, for example, that it's very important for the client. They are not investing in a particular single cloud service.

The panel should be better. Datalog's is much more visual.

The configuration capabilities could be better. We've found it to be quite good on Datalog, for example. They should emulate that.

I also have experience with Datalog. I find there a lot more positive aspects of that over this solution.

As an implementor, I can implement the solution for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an implementor, not a user. We are not a partner.

I'm not sure which version of the solution is currently used, as it depends on the client's environment.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. I personally have a lot of EC2 stations on Amazon and I have a lot of computing credits on Amazon. I really enjoy using Amazon.

Sofiane  Mekhaba - PeerSpot reviewer
Scrum Master / Team Leader at Algeofleet
Has a user-friendly interface, and the installation is straightforward
  • "I have found the memory metrics and the CPU metrics valuable."
  • "I would like to monitor inbound and outbound transfer. I would also like to control the traffic for load balancing."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor our servers, to check the memory of our servers, and to determine whether the CPU is overhead or not.

We also use the alerting system to inform us when something goes wrong.

What is most valuable?

I have found the memory metrics and the CPU metrics valuable.

Amazon CloudWatch has a user-friendly interface.

What needs improvement?

I would like to monitor inbound and outbound transfer. I would also like to control the traffic for load balancing.

It would be good to see the transfer inbound per EP or per load balancing. This is a useful metric to have another review of your solution. It can also provide information on from where the clients enter and how they consume our data and solution.

I've been using Amazon CloudWatch for the past four years.

It is a stable solution.

It's scalable.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to learn the solution in-depth because Amazon CloudWatch has a lot of features. That way, you will be able to know how to use all of the features.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at eight.

Download our free Amazon CloudWatch Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022