We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Zoom OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Zoom is #1 ranked solution in top Virtual Meetings tools. PeerSpot users give Zoom an average rating of 8 out of 10. Zoom is most commonly compared to Webex: Zoom vs Webex. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Zoom?

Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Our easy, reliable cloud platform for video, phone, content sharing, and chat runs across mobile devices, desktops, telephones, and room systems. Message me to learn more about how Zoom can help your business or organization Visit zoom.com and follow @zoom_us.

Zoom Buyer's Guide

Download the Zoom Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Zoom Customers

Fortinet, Veeva, Proofpoint, Box, Ticketmaster, Trend Micro, Caesars Entertainment, Santa Clara University, Pandora, Stanford Continuing Studies

Zoom Video

Zoom Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Zoom pricing:
"The exact costs are handled on a corporate level, however, I understand that if you just want to own a license for your small business or something like that, it's around $300 a year, which is very reasonable."

Zoom Reviews

Douglas Blumhardt
Managing Consultant at Business and Technology Consulting, LLC
Convenient, easy to use, and simple to set up
  • "It's not a big deal to set up a meeting."
  • "One thing I do wish was that there was more visibility. Sometimes I have to click into a reply-all to find out who is in the meeting and whether they've accepted or not."

What is most valuable?

It works. It's easy to use and it's easy to set up.

I like that it is easy to record.

To me, it's like using your iPhone. It's not a big deal. It's not a big deal to set up a meeting.

Screen sharing is important. Being able to pull up spreadsheets, system presentations, PowerPoints, whatever, is very helpful. The tool's pretty effective that way.

People like it to be light. They like it to be not so technical that it's hard to learn or hard to use. One of the reasons Zoom grew so fast is that kids could learn it, old people could learn it, workers could learn it. It takes a little more learning curve to have the license and host meetings. Set up meetings, to host, there's a little bit more there, however, even that's pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

One thing I do wish was that there was more visibility. Sometimes I have to click into a reply-all to find out who is in the meeting and whether they've accepted or not. It's not convenient to check on that while you're in a meeting.

Teams is better about that. Teams is better about posting up right in front of you so you can see who was invited, who clicked in or not, who's on the call.

Also when people are talking, you see either their image, if they've got an avatar, or at least their initials, and a little round fake avatar that's blinking when they're trying to talk, or they're raising their hand. That is the only thing I'd say that's really a frustration for me with Zoom, is I'm not always sure who got invited.

I've used the solution for a while. I use it every day.

I'm working virtually and my clients are all over the country. I don't visit them more than maybe once every six weeks each. I'm on the phone in Zoom or Teams probably 15 to 20 hours a week.

The stability is quite good. I haven't dealt with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is good. Expanding it is not a problem.

As consultants, there's only usually a few of us that are engaged with a client. We don't send an army in. We're very senior consultants, and our rates are really high. We're like hiring an attorney or something. We're not a bunch of bodies coming in to do all the leg work. We're advising them on how to do a lot of things properly in terms of ERP selection and implementation.

That said, we're engaging with a lot of people though. For example, in this one client I have, they're in Baltimore, I'm often on a call with 20 people. I may be the only one on my side and there's all of them. I have to know who they are and get familiar with their voices. A lot of the time, more people aren't necessarily doing the video thing where they're displaying themselves. It's just is less common that people do that. That's because more people are working virtually and maybe they're still in their t-shirt or you haven't taken a shower that day. If people aren't displaying themselves, you use the tool more like a phone in a sense, as you have to know, "Okay. That was Jackie speaking. That was Lisa speaking. That was Alice speaking."

We get familiar with each other, we get to know each other. However, we typically deal with maybe 10 or 12 people on a call. They may be in different locations. With one client I have, they're in 23 states. Various key people are in different places. Other kinds of meetings I have oftentimes been a three or four-way, where you've got a client and you've got a vendor who's maybe doing something for them. We can have essentially three or four companies represented in a call, and we're having maybe calls two or three times a week.

I've also used Microsoft Teams.

The larger the client, the more likely it is that they're going to use Teams instead of Zoom. Oftentimes, they're setting up the meetings and they prefer to set them up. I have this one large client where we're recording every one of our sessions, as they're reusable then for walking back through and revisiting deep discussions we've had and requirements and so on.

I don't happen to like Teams, it's clunky. Teams is clunky and it's also just harder to use. Particularly if you're using it also is a repository for documents, folders, recording, and so on. It's just not as usable.

The initial setup is very simple.

I have a subscription to Zoom.

What other advice do I have?

I am a customer and an end-user.

What my partner and I typically would do if we are in control of that is we use Zoom. We'll use Box for our repository of the artifacts, requirements, recordings, and so on. Box is also very, very easy to use. However, we find Teams clunky on both sides now. However, even though we prefer Zoom if a client prefers a different conference system, and they've got dozens of people inside that are married to that, well, we'll go with what they use.

We are on the latest version of Zoom. Zoom actually forces that. If you get a Zoom subscription, it pops up a patch or an update or whatever, and it's no big deal to click that and update.

What Zoom is, is it's a very convenient, easy to use, quick to set up, simple to learn tool. It works pretty effectively.

However, people aren't using it so visually anymore as they used to. A lot of times it's really just a meetup where you're all on the same call, and people won't even post their videos too much anymore. Sometimes, if we're at a first-time meeting, we'll have our visual presence there, however, then we'll hide it away behind an avatar. People just aren't in need of that facial thing too much.

The main thing for me was just knowing who's scheduled for a call. Sometimes I don't know who's going to be on the call until I get on the call. There's a list there, however, you don't know who's accepted. We need a clear list. That would be an improvement.

Keeping it light is important. Everything is getting more and more like that. Even the system designs, major ERP systems, most of them when you log in, you feel like you're in a box. It feels boxy. That's the way Teams feels. It's got a structured menu architecture and so on, and frames around everything. The way things are going - and this is how Zoom is - it feels like you're in an open space. It doesn't feel like a box of things. It's an open flow. Keeping it that way is going to be important.

If you add more features, you have to keep it easy to find, easy to hide. Don't throw them on your whole menu. Don't throw everything at me. Just what I'm using is all I need. I'll give you another example of that. There's a system called CRM, Customer Relationship Management, such as Salesforce. Salesforce made a major strategic mistake. They built the thing that is a very complex functional solution. It's expensive due to the fact that it's so overbuilt. I don't know where Salesforce is at, however, I've got a lot of clients that I've run into that say, "Yeah, we put in Salesforce a few years ago and we're going to replace that now as too costly and we don't use it all."

They didn't do a very effective job of layering functionality so that you only see what you use, and make it simple, make it easy. Also, they didn't scale the pricing to what they're going to use. Salesforce is probably still pretty ubiquitous, however, it's probably going to get beat out by a bunch of these smaller, lighter, more open solutions. The challenge for Zoom would be to stay Zoom, and don't fix what isn't broken. It is a great tool. I really have very little, almost nothing but praise for Zoom. The only thing I'd say is that competitively, they're going to have to think about, well, what else does it have to be able to do?

In my opinion, it's going to be making the visual collaboration, not from people to people, and instead, the people to content, whether it's websites, systems, logins, spreadsheets, whatever, making that so easy to do that it's almost natural. We can more quickly say, "Oh, okay, let me pull that up."

Layer number one is, it ought to be as natural as sliding your fingers across the screen in some magical way to be able to show what you want to show. The next layer is going to have to have more social collaboration from inside and outside of the system.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten so far. In comparison, I might rate Microsoft Teams at a six or so.

Customer service manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Secure, simple to manage, and easy to understand
  • "The solution is easy to set up."
  • "It would be great if there was a bit more camera control. For example, cropping the image, and improving the background remover features, which can be buggy right now."

What is our primary use case?

Zoom has been a complete substitution for the personal face-to-face interview. Everything we have been doing through Zoom. Every work meeting, every customer meeting, every interview for jobs. Everything that has to do with the interactions with another person. We only use Zoom due to the fact that, even though we could use some other technologies like Teams or even WhatsApp or anything like that, we prefer to use Zoom as we have the control of what is recorded and exactly what is going on in the meeting. We have been using it for every internal and external meeting - everything that we do. My agenda is just full of Zoom meetings. That is my life.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the controls that you have for security. They have been enhanced a lot in the recent versions. When you are the owner of the meeting, you basically have control over everything. It is really important when you are in a situation in which someone tries to enter your meeting and he doesn't belong or doesn't identify him or herself. You can just easily remove them.

Understanding the different options you have is easy. The identified users have to be allowed in with authentication. You will have people that are from the organization or from some other organization and you can ask for authentification or you can have a meeting in which anyone can join. Even so, at the moment you have the option of doing something that will give you control over the meeting. For me, that's one of the most useful things.

It's very simple to manage.

The scalability is good.

The solution is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

We are entering into these meta universes of applications in which virtual reality is going to be very, very important. They're starting to explore some of those things by having options of creating templates that visualize a meeting room, for example. There are visualizations that give you the illusion that you are in the same place. However, there are many more things that they can do, and the room there is endless in terms of improvements.

There are ways that you can get information from the cameras and try to map something that could be more 3D and try to make it much more virtual in terms of creating a virtual world. That is an area that Zoom has been just been scratching the surface of. In the future, I expect they will have better UI.

I've been using the solution for five years or so.

It is very stable, even though it has issues such as dropping meetings occasionally. That said, that's anecdotal. It's something that might happen once every a hundred meetings or something like that. There have been glitches, however, it's not something that we are worried about.

In the beginning, scalability may have been an issue, as the pandemic hit and they went from zero to one million quite fast, however, that's mostly been resolved.

Everybody in our company uses it right now.

We have tested for almost 2000 people internally as we have users on the webinar mode directly. The webinars that we are now doing for customers are on Zoom. That is in the tens of thousands of people. There is a limit for the meetings that we could hold in our version as the employee, however, there are versions within the company that is unlimited in terms of the people that it can hold. We have been doing very well with that technology in terms of the number of people we can handle.

We used to use Cisco WebEx, however, everyone wanted to switch over to Zoom.

The problem we had with WebEx was the version that we were using was not up to date. There was always a requirement for a call with a phone for the audio, and for the video and the interaction was online. That was a big problem as there were no international calls. There was a way for you to receive a callback, however, that doesn't work all the time. The quality of the sound was not good for WebEx when you were using the phone. Zoom had a very good quality of sound. You can also stream music and have high-quality audio.

I also used Microsoft Teams in the past. I didn't care much for Teams. There are things that annoy me from Teams. I use it sometimes still as some customers are required to use Teams instead of Zoom. There is this situation in Teams in which you are not actually seeing all the pictures of the faces of the people. When you enter a meeting, you're just seeing a couple of them and then you have to go to participants to see them. The interface is also not as easy as Zoom in many ways. For me to get to the chat part is like a mystery.

I've used Goot Meet occasionally too. There are some lacking features and it's not as easy to use. Sometimes the share screen or the share sound for the computer doesn't work at all. Sometimes [you have to install plugins. It doesn't have a client install on the computer. It is not very useful for me. In that area, still Zoom is more advanced than the others.

The initial setup is really easy. In the beginning, they had some issues with the ports and some things. We had some issues with some customers in that, due to security reasons, they were not able to use Zoom. That was an issue, however, that was two years ago, and, largely due to the fact that it was such a massive problem at the time, it caused headaches for many people. Right now, however, it's one of the easiest solutions to deal with.

Since it is a managed solution, a software as a service, everything seems to be completely taken care of by Zoom.

We are using the paid version of the solution. The exact costs are handled on a corporate level, however, I understand that if you just want to own a license for your small business or something like that, it's around $300 a year, which is very reasonable. It gives you a lot of features that are good for you, such as the storage of the meetings if you recorded on the cloud, which is something that you cannot do if you have the free version.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the solution as a customer. It's our main tool right now.

We are using the most recent version of the solution.

I'd advise people that the change in the process of your work will be impacted by how you plan things. For instance, there are easier ways, when you apply best practices, to make your life easier. There is a button, for example, in Outlook in which you can just insert all the information for the Zoom meeting without having to plug in a link. Or you can actually create a specific unique meeting ID and you will not have any worries if you are always using your personal meeting room, that you will overlap with people entering into the meeting that you don't want.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MarcoCarvajal
Co-fundador CEO/CTO at XANDOR Automotive
More intuitive and accessible to new users
  • "I like Zoom because of the quality of the image and the resolution. Of course, I know that depends on the hardware you're using. But, still, the image and sound quality are excellent."
  • "One thing that Zoom can improve is the chat. You can send messages to a specific person without messaging everyone. But everyone sees the whole chat if the administrator lets them see the chat. Maybe they could add an option to let you open a private conversation on the side with a person."

What is our primary use case?

I use Zoom when speaking about some topics in my community. I am currently trying to set up my own business, but when I was working for a company, I used Zoom for meetings with my coworkers when I needed to talk to multiple people at the same time. I've used Zoom for calls with 2,000 to 3,000 people and also audiences of 30 people or one-on-one conversations.

What is most valuable?

I like Zoom because of the quality of the image and the resolution. Of course, I know that depends on the hardware you're using. But, still, the image and sound quality are excellent. If you use the free version of Skype, sometimes the screen gets blurry, so you can't see everything well, then you have to check if the connection is okay, or maybe you need to restart the application. But with Zoom, I didn't have that kind of problem. Zoom is also more intuitive and accessible to new users.

What needs improvement?

One thing that Zoom can improve is the chat. You can send messages to a specific person without messaging everyone. But everyone sees the whole chat if the administrator lets them see the chat. Maybe they could add an option to let you open a private conversation on the side with a person. And for example, let's say you are chatting with another person and you want to select two or three more people to have a private chat. Zoom could add a feature that lets you create a breakout room in the chat where you can collaborate. I think that would work fine because it's like being in an office where you can also start some other conversations. Even though there isn't a speaker in front of you talking, you can also have some further discussions with the coworkers at the same time. But none of the tools has that feature that I know of, or if they do, I haven't used it.

Zoom could also maybe add some integrated storage that could be allocated according to your requirements, or it could be a subscription that you pay for. And the interface could possibly use some fancier colors or a more modern look. Sometimes everything on the screen is in black, but you can change the background, and that's good. But for example, the aspect of the screen is old-fashioned on Zoom. The design, screens, and layouts of the forms could all use an overhaul. If you have software that looks much better than the competitor, maybe it could be positioned better than the leader, probably, perhaps because you have your experience, I'll say. An end-user may be suitable. So, as I said, for example, you could also be in a conversation.

And Zoom could add some integrated note-taking features. So when you are listening to a speaker, you can jot something down really quickly, or if you're the speaker, you can have some notes to help you with your presentation so you don't forget to say something. It would also be helpful if you could record the session yourself. Only the administrator can record the meeting not all the parties in the meeting. But I think it may not be possible because of the bandwidth, I guess.

I have more than 30 years of working as a software director, product manager, and director of software development. So in terms of product development, you always want to envision the real goal you want to achieve in a given amount of time and how you want to differentiate from other products that are out there in the market. And you think about what kind of innovations you want to introduce in the product, so you start managing a roadmap and engage in version planning to release those new versions at a specific time.

I've never had to contact Zoom support.

Each company has its own preferred toolset of its preference. For example, some users or companies use Webex or GoToMeeting. Others use Skype, Meet, or Teams. But Zoom is the one that comes to mind when I am talking about these tools. In the past, for example, Skype was one of the first tools in the market that let people have virtual meetings for free.

Zoom's strategy is to let everyone use the tool for at least 40 minutes without any restrictions, and when you reach the time limit, you restart the tool and continue the conversation. So that led so many users to adopt the tool.

Installing Zoom is pretty straightforward. I haven't had any problems. It practically installs itself and takes about a minute, I believe. It updates and installs in that time, but there is also a web-based version so that you can work with it, and you don't need to install anything at all. The only problem I've had recently was a video issue. Everybody could hear me, but I couldn't share my video. I don't know why. I got out of the application and started it again, and I still couldn't show my screen. Maybe it's because I haven't installed the latest version or because I am working with Windows 7 instead of Windows 10 perhaps.

I've never paid for Zoom. When I worked for other companies, they had already bought a subscription or perpetual license. Aside from that, I've only ever used the free version.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom nine out of 10. I say nine because all products have room for improvement. For instance, it would be a great idea if Zoom could provide APIs and a way to embed their products in third-party applications. Let's say I'm working in BPM or RPA tool and need to ask a question, so can I call someone, see their face, and have a little conversation without leaving the app. That would enhance the experience of using the BPM or RPA tool because you wouldn't have to leave your environment to collaborate with some others immediately. Zoom could be more like WhatsApp, where you can chat about something and get the answer from someone else. You can see all the conversations and search them. But you never see the same integration with a tool like Zoom, Skype, or any other tools in the market. And that would be terrific because it increases and enhances collaboration between people.

And right now, because of the pandemic, we don't know when we'll be working together again at the same office. In some jobs, that could be indefinite. There's going to be a mix of people who like working from home or at the office, and they're going to need to interact, so you need a way for people to talk face to face. You need to see each other and feel a sense that you are close to that person. Even though you're not right there in front of the person, at least you have the chance to see them, not just some words written down in an instant messaging system.

Odell Hall
Owner, Editor-In-Chief at planetill.com
Easy to use for people with no tech background
  • "I like Zoom's ease of use and how easy it is for non-tech people to interface with it. Other video conferencing solutions can be somewhat challenging for non-tech people, so you often end up waiting for people to connect."
  • "Security is something Zoom lacks. If you're trying to get proprietary buy-in and enterprise buy-in, security is the top priority. And even though the user interface is simple, every solution could use a tune-up in that department."

What is our primary use case?

Everyone in the company uses it, so it's about a few dozen. I use it for interviews and group discussions but very rarely for meetings because there are security issues on that level. So I don't share proprietary information on Zoom, but I use it frequently for normal discussion. Obviously, now that people are getting back to work, we're not using it as much, but it's still useful.

How has it helped my organization?

Zoom is more accessible for people without a lot of tech knowledge. So let's say you're setting up a Zoom call with your parents, and they don't have the hardware or other things you need on their computer. It's easy to Zoom with them over the phone rather than inviting them to a meeting and getting them to a place with a microphone and a screen. It's highly mobile and easy for them to join the conversation.

What is most valuable?

I like Zoom's ease of use and how easy it is for non-tech people to interface with it. Other video conferencing solutions can be somewhat challenging for non-tech people, so you often end up waiting for people to connect. Although Microsoft Teams is probably a better enterprise product overall, it's not as good for people who don't have that kind of tech history. Also, I've had some microphone issues and connection issues with Teams.

What needs improvement?

Security is something Zoom lacks. If you're trying to get proprietary buy-in and enterprise buy-in, security is the top priority. And even though the user interface is simple, every solution could use a tune-up in that department. I found it easy, but those things are not difficult for me. Of course, I can't speak for older adults who might not have experience interfacing with these things. Maybe Zoom could be made easier for them.

But again, when it comes to ease of use, Zoom is on the lower and higher-end, depending on how you look at it. We don't use Zoom for presentations, so I'm unsure if it already has this feature. But if Zoom could enable you to present directly, that's something that would add a lot of value.

We've been using Zoom for over a year.

I haven't had any issues. However, once you get beyond a certain number, it becomes very dependent on the admin to figure out who should be talking. The more people you have, the more difficult it will be to keep track. But I suppose that's a function of any meeting.

Zoom's scalability depends on whether people are following Robert's Rules of Order or how amenable your staff is to have those kinds of meetings. If they're not used to that kind of thing, then you have people speaking out of turn, so it depends on how good your moderator is. Generally speaking, though, the more people on a call, the more difficult it is to manage who's speaking or keep track of who is who.

Hopefully, we won't be expanding our usage any time soon because that would mean things have gone south in terms of the pandemic. For now, our usage will remain steady, and I don't see it expanding to that extent. Even if you have customers across different markets, it won't be expanded on one end because the user base on the proprietary end won't increase.

You really didn't need tech support for Zoom. Something terrible would have to happen before you called Zoom tech support. Even then, you have your internal IT team for stuff like this, but it's not a cumbersome app. People have security issues. They get hacked. I know of a few people who had their Zoom meetings interrupted with frat-boy antics, racist trolling, and all kinds of crazy things. We've never had those kinds of issues, but if your password gets out or something like that, you may have to call tech support and see if they can block some IP address. But we've never had to deal with that kind of issue.

People at this company use Skype and Webex fairly frequently, but Webex is more of an onsite on-prem thing. For example, Webex is used when you don't want to go upstairs to talk to your coworker or you can't fit that many people in a conference room. Webex is more appropriate for direct presentations. We don't use Zoom for that kind of thing. But Zoom is easier to use overall than Webex, Teams, and Skype.

Setting up Zoom is incredibly easy. Let's say you're told that you need to go to a Zoom conference that starts in five minutes. You can set yourself up in that time and not be late. With some of these other solutions, you're doing mic checks, interface checks, internet checks, etc. It's easy to set Zoom up right away.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom seven out of 10. Again, I would say seven because of ease of use, how widely available it is, and how easy it is to adapt. But I don't know how well it can work at the large enterprise level. For our normal usage, I think it's solid.

At the same time, I wouldn't present via Zoom unless I had an experienced presenter. You have to keep the audience's attention or use Webex so the presentation is onscreen. When using Teams or Webex, you're sharing screens, so it's a direct kind of thing. In Zoom, you have a camera, and you're presenting. In my experience, it's not a direct-to-screen presentation. It's more of the audience watching you present from a screen. So that requires a little bit more attention. If you're having a town hall or something along those lines, I would say Zoom is the way to go. On the other hand, if you're trying to do something that involves specifications and very minute details, use Teams or Webex.

Rebekah Shields
Strategy & Operations at Allstacks
Very user friendly, easy to share screens, and lots of useful features
  • "There are lots of great features available to every user."
  • "How they have the gallery aligned when someone is sharing a screen isn't ideal right now. If there were more options on how to arrange it, would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for remote meetings.

My typical use case is doing product tours, as well as tool connections, and explainer videos for how to use dashboards for our product. I teach people through virtual training.

How has it helped my organization?

Technically, the solution hasn't changed the way I work so much. I've been remote since before COVID-19 and all my work is being handled in the same way as it was before. However, I'm very aware that for everyone else in the world it's probably changed the way meetings are traditionally handled.

We have a technical product that is quite complicated to understand without being able to visually see and walk people through it and show them how to use it. Zoom makes it possible to do visual training. Instead of being in there face to face, however, we're able to actually just walk them through each training session and new users can ask questions, and dive deep into the product to understand it better.

What is most valuable?

I like being able to record the sessions if I need to. I also like the option to annotate.

The options to add polls and share screens are great.

There are lots of great features available to every user.

It's pretty user friendly and easy for people to use. All the clients I have say they don't typically have any problems getting into it or using it. It's great in that respect.

What needs improvement?

I would say the polls need improvement.

When you're using the video, there's a little dialogue box that pops up. It's annoying to everybody who uses Zoom. It would be nice if it had some more features for driving interaction and engagement during meetings. However, they need to make sure the dialog box is up there in a more convenient way.

The ability to make it easier for poll creation and usage would be helpful. If I make a poll, I want it to be accessible to all my different meetings, not just that one meeting. Right now, it's a lot of extra work due to the fact that I have to continuously re-create it every time I need it.

I have been using the solution for at least a year, or, maybe at this point, two.

I haven't had any problems with stability. It's actually been much more stable than the other five different conferencing tools I have used. I'm happy with that. It's quite reliable.

We only have 16 users on the solution at this time. That's everyone in our organization.

We use the solution often, however, since everyone is already on it in our organization, we don't have plans to scale more or increase usage. We're already at 100% usage.

From day one, we've been using video conferencing as our main method of communication.

I've never had to reach out to technical support. I have a background in IT, so my instinct, if I run into issues, is to figure everything out myself. I can't speak to the quality of their service since I've never dealt with them.

I've tried about five other solutions, and Zoom, by far, has been the most stable and reliable.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward in some ways. However, it's not intuitive per se. It's straightforward once you're aware of it, and yet, there are a lot of features I didn't even know were there until I did some research. It wasn't obvious from how they have their website set up. You have to really dig for features. I found it only after six months or a year into using it.

We currently use the business account on Zoom. I'm not sure of what the exact costs are to use the solution. The pricing, as I understand it, is very straightforward. There might be just one add-on cost, which would be for users who would like to join in or talk via toll-free dialing.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a professional relationship with Zoom.

In terms of advice for implementing the solution, I would probably just say make sure that new users go into the settings within their account and see what they have turned on and off. For instance, I just told my CEO and a couple of the other executives about the option to annotate because I assumed that they knew that was possible. They didn't.

There's also the capability of using a whiteboard. There are a bunch of other really great features that are available as well that are not obvious at first. Users need to just go in through their account settings and click on everything and set the account up in ways that are convenient for them depending on what they're trying to accomplish.

It's strange that the majority of the cool features are by default disabled, so users have to go in and become familiar with them on the back end. Everyone needs to take the time to make sure you really play around with it, or go to the help center and watch some videos, and read some of the articles to see what's available.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Visiting lecturer at a university with 51-200 employees
Great file and screen sharing capabilities but needs to offer longer meetings on the personal version
  • "The whiteboard capabilities are great."
  • "They should remove any restriction of time."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for meetings and calls.

What is most valuable?

In Zoom, I don't have a preference for any of the features. If you know the application well, then you can use all the features. I'm using most of the features, including file sharing and sharing screens.

The possibility for chat is very handy sometimes. The chat is very useful due to the fact that sometimes you have to run formulas and those kinds of things and to pronounce it is not enough. You have to write it down so that the person or people can see exactly what the formula is.

The whiteboard capabilities are great.

What needs improvement?

I use Zoom not so much for business, due to the fact that the problem with Zoom is the restriction that you have where there are only 45 minutes allowed for a conference, and then you had to log out and start a new meeting.

They should remove any restriction of time. Sometimes the time that you planned for the meeting is not enough. Sometimes it goes more than an hour, an hour and 10 minutes.

That said, they may have already fixed this issue.

When you start the Zoom meeting, at first, it didn't start directly, the meeting. It'd go to the web browser, then it asks you to open the zoom application. After it opens, then you can start. That it's a little bit too much of a problem for beginners. It would be easier and more user-friendly if you can go directly to the meeting without the hassle of starting up and waiting. It could just be a bit more user-friendly.

The problem originally was that when Zoom started, they had most of the market. The problem that they had, is that with the COVID pandemic, a lot of people started using conferencing solutions and you had a paid version and a free version. The paid version had more features than the free version. That was confusing for people. They said, “okay, why do I have to pay for certain features?” A lot of people I know looked for free versions and there were other free versions. For example, I use Whereby also, and Whereby does all the things that Zoom can do.

The solution is stable.

I know a lot of IT, and therefore, most of the things that come up I can fix and if I can't fix it directly, I go and I look on the internet for solutions. If I run into a problem, I'm not the first person that has run into the problem. I look for a solution myself. Most of the time I get the solution. I don't deal with technical support.

I use Zoom, MS Teams, and Google Meet.

I also use Whereby, which is free to use.

I used MS Teams first, then Zoom. I use MS Teams due to the fact that I have a Microsoft account and a Microsoft company account. I started using Zoom when a lot of people started using Zoom. Using MS Teams is more difficult than using Zoom.

I am tech-savvy. I'm not afraid to use applications and I can understand the logic behind the application. That said, I know that non-tech-savvy people had problems with starting up the Zoom meeting. The typical user doesn't understand the logic that's behind it. When you start it on the web, it's supposed to work directly on the web and not go to the application that is on your desktop and launch that. That is something that I can understand, however, it is not logical for people who are not accustomed to using IT so much.

All that is to say that, for me, the initial setup is not complex, however, I'm not an average user. I work daily with 10 or 12 applications. I switch from one to another. For me, it's not difficult. For non-technical people, it might be.

The deployment is fast and only takes a few minutes. It's maybe ten minutes or less.

I'm using a personal account, which is free. To use a company account, I have to go to the administration and fix that they pay the year account. I don't want to go through all of these procedures and all the hassle. That's the reason I use a personal account.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using Zoom on occasion. It depends on what the person I will have a conference with wants to use. I am flexible. I use various solutions. I pick the one that is better for the other side.

I tend to use the most up-to-date version of the solution.

I'd advise users to use the solution as it's a good product. In the beginning, it scared me off because as there were a lot of rumors about privacy. For a few months, I didn't use it until I knew that they had fixed that problem. Now security is fine.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Denny Oommen
Senior Manager-Collaboration (Presales) at syndrometech
It's easy to manage, it always works, and they're constantly adding new features to cater to the average user
  • "It always works, and they try to appeal to what the user wants. They added features like background music for those people who use Zoom for online church services. They try to make the solution more useful for the user. For example, I tried to sell WebEx to a church, but I also gave them Zoom for a trial. They were impressed with that because that was the feature they were looking for."
  • "Zoom will be cheaper if you want to have a general meeting, but if you want a real enterprise version, Cisco will be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom in two or three ways. One is for regular meetings. Most of our meetings are done over Zoom because people work from home due to COVID. A cloud meeting is the best way to go. People can initiate a meeting and invite people for one hour or two hours at a specific time.

When people want to do that, they have to buy Zoom's cloud meetings and licenses. If you want to conduct a cloud-based event, Zoom has a solution for events, and you have to buy an event license from them.

The third thing is Zoom rooms or Zoom video communications. Suppose you want to have a video conferencing device in your office, and you want to use that to connect via Zoom. You're in a boardroom where you have done the A/V integration. You can buy a Zoom room license and connect that solution to your Zoom meetings.

What is most valuable?

Mostly, we like Zoom meetings and Zoom rooms.

We started using Zoom last year.

Zoom has an email address. You write to them about any issues, and they respond.

Every solution has its special features because they're all competing with Zoom now. Zoom has started cornering the commercial market. WebEx was already in the enterprise market. Since the COVID outbreak, things have changed. Everybody's competing to update looks and features. I've been selling WebEx for a long time and Zoom also. I've used BlueJeans. All of the solutions are doing well, but Zoom's main benefit is that it's easy to manage.

Zoom is orienting itself to the commercial market. They are considering allowing users to start with a hundred participants per meeting, and then if you want to increase, you pay more. Webex allows a thousand participants to start. You can join from any video device. With WebEx, if you want to join from a video device, you have to buy additional licenses.

Most of our customers use Webex, but the government offices can't because of security issues. Banks also limit cloud applications to general meetings. Official meetings are on-prem only because they don't want to leak data on the cloud. Every major meeting must be recorded, so they won't do any cloud calling. If it is an urgent corporate meeting, they will not host it online. They only use Zoom or Webex for customer meetings or outside meetings.

Zoom costs less and offers more features if you're going for the lower versions. Zoom will be cheaper if you want to have a general meeting, but if you want a real enterprise version, Cisco will be cheaper.

Everything is easy with Zoom. You don't need to do anything but order it and tell the admin for that organization, and they will give one ID. For the remaining IDs, the admin will add the rest of the users. It's the same for any service, be it WebEx, BlueJeans, etc. You'll get one ID assigned to the administrator, and they can assign the rest of IDs to anyone in the organization. If you have 10 licenses, one ID is configured for the administrator, and they distribute the rest. We give a training on how to do it. It's all cloud-based, so nothing needs to be implemented in the office or anything.

Any cloud-based service offers a lot of benefits for customers. They don't have to invest in any on-prem infrastructure and they can use it on the go. They can be in the office, at home, traveling, at a hotel, or wherever, and they can start a meeting. There is no investment or recurring costs aside from the annual licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom nine out of 10. It always works, and they try to appeal to what the user wants. They added features like background music for those people who use Zoom for online church services. They try to make the solution more useful for the user. For example, I tried to sell WebEx to a church, but I also gave them Zoom for a trial. They were impressed with that because that was the feature they were looking for. Zoom got most of these churches globally because of one feature.

It all depends on what the customer needs. Some people come along and say, "I want Zoom" just because they've heard of Zoom. However, it might not be a good fit when I tell them about the features. I speak to the customer, understand the requirements, and recommend they try this or that. Some people don't even need Zoom, but they ask for it.

Operating Executive, as an independent consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Scalable and secure enough but has sync issues
  • "It's easy to use and at this point, it's certainly ubiquitous. It's everywhere."
  • "There were several instances where we couldn't connect into a meeting just on video and then couldn't even dial-in."

What is our primary use case?

I'm always in calls through Zoom and other platforms. We use ours and then we use other people's as well. It depends on who sets up the meeting. It's really for client meetings and management meetings or board meetings. Anything that is not in-person we typically will use Zoom for.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

It's easy to use and at this point, it's certainly ubiquitous. It's everywhere. Everyone seems to have experience with it.

The solution is scalable.

It's secure enough.

What needs improvement?

In terms of connectivity, we've had issues, specifically this week. There were several instances where we couldn't connect into a meeting just on video and then couldn't even dial-in. Something was not working. It was like that for a good two days the last time it happened. We had to work around the issue.

From a professional use point of view, it really just needs to work more solidly. It's not more features that they need. Rather, they could increase the stability and solve some of the sync problems they have with video and audio.

I've used Zoom for probably about five years at this point.

There are a few stability problems. For example, occasionally, there's a sync problem between the video and the audio.

The scalability is good. It's pretty solid. I understand how complex these things are on the back end. I haven't seen it fail due to too many people being on it.

Everyone uses it. It's quite extensively used. We have about 100 people in our organization that leverage it regularly.

I've never contacted technical support. When we have had connectivity issues, I report them. Every time it didn't connect, I would send a message to let them understand the frequency of the issue.

I also use Teams to a certain degree.

Even with Teams coming on as strongly as it is, Zoom is still the standard. What I'll often hear people say is, "on Zoom, I can do this. How do I do it here?" Zoom sets the standard for a lot of platforms.

I work for a private equity firm and they're very concerned about security. For a while, we used WebEx due to the fact that it was secure. However, they were just were so far behind and there were problems with that. In the end, more often than not, you'd almost expect problems with the WebEx side. Zoom was better in that regard. Zoom is able to actually encrypt the meetings from end-to-end, point-to-point.

I don't handle anything related to costs or licensing. I don't know what the actual pricing is on the product.

What other advice do I have?

I work as a consultant for a private equity firm. I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I'm up to date with the latest version at the moment.

For the most part, the solution just works. However, when it doesn't work, it really doesn't work.

A lot of people are finding success with Microsoft Teams. If a company already has Teams, if they're at a certain subscription level within Microsoft, they get Teams for free. If they're a company that has enough scale, then Teams will just come along with their subscription. Teams works well enough and has other factors and features from a collaboration standpoint. That makes it pretty compelling.

That being said, what I'd recommend is if people are a Microsoft house and they have a certain level of their subscription before they invest in Zoom, see if they can't address their needs with Teams, otherwise, they might be spending money where they don't need to.

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten.

Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Zoom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.