We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Provides a simple, scalable, sustainable repository
  • "While I do not recall whether the latest version is 10.0 or 11.0 I do know that it allows one to make a back up repository that is very scalable and simple."
  • "Occasionally, in the course of upgrading one's virtualization platform, the backup can be ruined."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is so good to use. It allows for proof of concept. One can run a test on the database, move backups from one server to another, do file restoration or make use of portal storage features.

Backup and storage is very fast, reducing what would otherwise take hours to minutes. Veeam was designed for virtual environments. The first year it was involved in supporting VMware virtual environments.

What is most valuable?

While I do not recall whether the latest version is 10.0 or 11.0 I do know that it allows one to make a back up repository that is very scalable and simple. This can be added from multiple different levels, in respect of a single disc, through employment of cluster servers, data domain storage, or even tape library. This means the repository is very scalable, as the growth of data in the past years has presented a big problem. Cloud services can be employed as a back up repository.

While I may not be the user testing each new market product, I am very happy with the solution's scalability. It boasts a support team that is good and fast and can conduct its affairs in a host of languages. When it comes to instances involving support, I can discern the differences over the past two months. Technical support is fast, helpful and provides good advice.

What needs improvement?

While we do not consider it to be a big deal, I know there are other users who consider the running of the latest version of VMware vCenter while making use of the virtual environment to be an issue. One must update VMware or Veeam with care because of the compatibility issue involved. Installation and support must be taken into account.

While strength, complexity and compatibility of the solution may pose issues for others, they do not for me.

I feel the solution to be user-friendly.

The monitoring, reporting and dashboard features are also fine.

I am not aware of implementation issues and I have no concerns about the solution's security or stability. I have even tested the setup and it can be automated. At present, I see no need for an increase as I am not making 100 percent use of the product.

This said, the limits of Windows integration on servers should be addressed. Many shops use only Linux and do not wish to run the Windows Server policy. As they have people with an understanding of Linux, they do not see the need to employ another person merely for backing up the server.

Nowadays one can run Microsoft SQL Server on Linux without any problem, perhaps with this same ability being afforded to Windows Server.

Occasionally, in the course of upgrading one's virtualization platform, the backup can be ruined. I know of people who do downgrade virtualization out of concerns for the success of a data center backup run. For me, personally, this does not present an issue as I am more conservative in how I conduct my administrative functions.

We have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for three or four years.

The solution is absolutely stable.

The solution is absolutely scalable.

I am absolutely satisfied with technical support. We benefit from it completely. Its multi-lingual character is definitely important.

We were using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for 15 years before making use of the solution, although I don't know what the product is called at present, as it replaced a branded IBM Protect product.

We were using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager at a time when the majority of our data servers were running on physical machines. From IBM's perspective, the licensing has become more involved since virtualization became increasingly prevalent. While it was not in my purview, the prohibitive nature of the product led us to migrate to Veeam software and to procure a different license.

While IBM Tivoli Storage Manager was considered to be the leading solution of its time, it was also very complicated.

The installation involves a single package and is pretty simple. This is in comparison to the installation of the DB2 of Tivoli. Now, the installation is done in a single stroke and is so simple and the solution so nice. While we don't really make use of it at the moment, several years ago we constituted one of the main monitors of the virtual environment.

The installation time is contingent on its scale as it varies based on the size of the environment. Another factor would involve the installation of disparate versions for different machines, such as concerns a proxy repository. A further possibility is to install everything in a single machine in virtual storage.

I would put the main installation at 20 minutes and add another hour for configurations, such as those involving emails and reports.

I consider the installation to be fully completed once I can carry out a task. We are talking about one or two hours. This takes into account the different applications for disparate environments in Veeam's environment.

Overall, we have two people who are responsible for deployment and maintenance as it relates to everything involving the physical backup and virtual environment.

We purchase a license annually.

When it comes to the cost, IBM software is significantly more expensive than the solution for our environment, although we are talking about four years ago.

What other advice do I have?

We have two Veeam servers in two disparate sites.

The solution is not deployed on the cloud. One of the servers is physical and the other virtual, with the support and backup capabilities comprising 50 kilobytes of SSD storage.

I would recommend the solution to others.

There are approximately 700 people making use of the solution in our organization.

I rate Veeam Backup & Replication as a ten out of ten.

System IT and Technologies Field Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Ease of management, not complicated, very reliable, and has good support.
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are its ease of management, it is not complicated, it is very reliable, has good support and a lot of knowledge on the market for integrators."
  • "I would want them to improve some technical features that are still missing because we are working with NetApp NVMe and they're not fully supporting it yet. But both NetApp and Veeam know about it and they're working on it."

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are its ease of management, it is not complicated, it is very reliable, has good support and a lot of knowledge on the market for integrators.

Ease of management was actually one of the main points for me. The second one is the SureBackup. SureBackup is the feature that allows you to automatically restore and check that the backups are consistent.

Those are the two main points for our decision to choose Veeam. We made some POCs with some vendors and they took a lot of time and were really too complicated and required way more resources to invest.

What needs improvement?

I would want them to improve some technical features that are still missing because we are working with NetApp NVMe and they're not fully supporting it yet. But both NetApp and Veeam know about it and they're working on it.

I'd like some improvements in ransom protection capabilities for Windows because they have some features with the Linux repositories but not with Windows.

There is no support for backing up snapshots from NVMe namespaces on NetApp.

For the cloud solution we need the Sophos backup solution, but I think that they are close to releasing this.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for half a year.

Veeam Backup & Replication is stable. I think we have maybe one ticket open in Veeam support about something that's related to not being a stable system.

I'm not ready to answer that because we didn't scale it out or scale it up because we just started working with Veeam Backup & Replication. But our topology will be really easy to scale up. It actually doesn't depend on Veeam itself. It depends more on the storage systems where we're storing their backups or network capacity and not on Veeam.

There were two guys from my system IT teams and one from the integrator side managing the Veeam infrastructure, but anybody in the system IT team can use it. We use it for the user restoration process or adding systems to the backup. We automated the whole process of adding the system to the backup so we don't need to do that manually, but anybody can access the system and do what it can do according to their permissions.

I think we're using only about 50% of the features. There is a lot of functionality we've still not used so we are planning to increase our usage.

The technical support is really good. We don't spend any time waiting for them and they start working in an hour. But we also have a good local integrator so mostly we don't need the vendor support.

I will divide the initial setup into two separate answers. Veeam has the most speedy setup that I have ever seen, but because we make our backup architecture really complicated and really secured, it takes some time for the fine tunings. It is not directly Veeam's problem but it is my network or security perimeter's problem. There was a really funny story with that because it takes a lot of time to configure and to fine tune and so on. After your set up the EXE of Veeam in the next two hours you can start the back up, but if you want to make it really secure and immutable for attacks that we face, you need some time to build it.

in general it is pretty simple, but if you want to do something specific it can take a long time. Setup also depends on the facilities and resources inside the companies that they can use for that. But overall, it is really simple.

Our license is about 200K for three years. It includes everything. It includes support and it includes the Office 365 Backup as well for the whole environment. We have about 6,000 mailboxes to back up.

For Veeam it's a pretty standard license. We made a tender because we are a kind of public organization so I have to make it on the tender, but that's the reason there is no cost for the hardware that I need to power the Veeam infrastructure.

Veeam is the only software that is a real comparison with Commvault or NetBackup. It's not really good to compare because NetBackup and other solutions are providing hardware also. So here I have software on one side from Veeam and I have some storage systems or disk systems from other vendors. For now, I have NetApp, but tomorrow it could be EMC, HPE or whatever. That's maybe one of the disadvantages of these vendors, but for me it's not a disadvantage, I'm okay with that.

Most of the time it is more flexible to not be dependent on any one vendor. We have used previous systems for about 15 years and most of problems are coming from the hardware, but NetBackup does not produce hardware.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Veeam Backup & Replication is to check what you need and then decide what you're going to buy. Don't think if you have X money and then go to the market you will get it for that money. You need to understand what the organization's needs are and then to check what our vendors are advising and proposing, because we have almost 100% VxRail and it's 100% VMware. I think Veeam is the most valuable vendor for backup and application systems for VMware. For virtualization no, but VMware yes. And we know that they're working very hard with the NetApp systems and most of their integrations are first coming with NetApp. That was also a point of decision.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Veeam Backup & Replication a nine.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager of Information Systems at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Steady, scalable, and works well for daily backups and replicating a large chunk of data
  • "WAN Accelerator helps tremendously with replicating our data because we have a large chunk of data that gets replicated between our two facilities."
  • "The SME that helped us with the implementation would probably have more insight because he used it way more than we have. We just use it for making sure that our backups are done daily, and the replications are being performed between sites. We haven't had any issues at all with it other than the fact that there is a slight process to acquire additional licenses if we want to expand our number of hosts. That's because it is based on the number of cores and threads that are used."

What is our primary use case?

We use it at our site for our nightly backup and for disaster recovery (DR) replication to another site. So, we use WAN Accelerator. We use scheduled copies to another datastore, and then, of course, we do it for our backups for SQL servers and other servers.

What is most valuable?

WAN Accelerator helps tremendously with replicating our data because we have a large chunk of data that gets replicated between our two facilities. We're getting ready to purchase Nimble Storage that has Veeam integration, and it is supposed to improve our replication even more.

What needs improvement?

The SME that helped us with the implementation would probably have more insight because he used it way more than we have. We just use it for making sure that our backups are done daily, and the replications are being performed between sites. We haven't had any issues at all with it other than the fact that there is a slight process to acquire additional licenses if we want to expand our number of hosts. That's because it is based on the number of cores and threads that are used.

I have been using this solution for three or four years.

So far, it has been pretty steady and stable. I haven't run into any type of issues with it.

It is scalable. What they definitely don't recommend is running it off a virtual machine rather than its own physical machine, but then we have some replication servers that we use for VM. So, the actual Veeam installation is set up on a physical Dell server, and then it is almost like they are sub engines. You would use these other processes to kick off the replication for whatever you want to be replicated to your DR. So, it is not all functioning from a single server. We have like three or four of those forms of replications.

The tech support and the training are pretty good. I sent one of my former employees, who was an intern and also my main Veeam administrator, for the training. He said it was very technical, and there was a lot to digest. He couldn't just do a transfer of knowledge because someone would have to go through that program to get a good understanding of how the solution works. He had gone through a lot of reference documents that came from it, and based on his feedback, it was pretty good.

We used to have Symantec Netbackup, and we replaced it with Veeam. Symantec Netbackup was clunky in terms of the upgrades. The other issue was that you couldn't throttle the replication bandwidth.

It had the capability of doing a DR replication, but if you fall a couple of versions behind, there was no gradual update. If you fell behind by four versions or something like that, it was a nightmare trying to get it upgraded to the latest version. We had to have a consultant come in who worked with Dell but was intimate with Symantec products. He had to spend a week or two weeks with us to go through that upgrade process. It was more designed for backup to tape, and that was the main function for which we were using it. When we decided to go away from backup to tape and we wanted to do site-to-site replication, we didn't think that it had that inline capability. It was also costly.

From my understanding it was straightforward. A colleague in one of our other facilities was more intimate with the solution. Basically, we bought a physical box. It was a Dell box that had storage on it. It was our main Veeam backup server that handled the replications because it was used to store the backups. So, we didn't back up to tape. We back up to disk, and it replicates to the DR disk. Setting that up wasn't a problem.

We also had to expand our local backup by using an additional span and then configuring that in order to work with Veeam as well. We didn't have any issues with it.

In terms of maintenance, we only assign one person who manages it. So, it is a part of his daily tasks. This person looks for success and failure, and, if needed, kicks off a backup that failed. He also does the quarterly review to make sure that it is up to date and addresses any replication issues.

What other advice do I have?

If you are trying to replace an existing solution, you need to map out how to integrate Veeam while not impacting the current backup. That's what we did. We had to look at how do we continue our Symantec backups while implementing our Veeam. We slowly graduated at it.

If you are doing any replication with Veeam, you need to determine the tier of the replication to a DR site. We broke out our SAN datastore so that the storage for what we would consider critical backups are done from a different datastore versus the entire SAN. Instead of implementing it first and then trying to change everything around, we did a lot of such pre-work prior to implementing it.

One of the things that Veeam doesn't like is a major change. In such a case, you will lose your data points or restore points. This means that if you've done 14 restore points and you go and make some major change to it, it could break that 12 restore point chain, and now you basically have to start all over again.

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a nine out of 10.

Lead Presales at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Secure, simple to use, and a good licensing model
  • "Integration with various applications, such as on-premises laptops and desktop backups, as well as applications and databases, is excellent."
  • "The automation could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators, also known as SIs.

We deploy on-premises as well as in the cloud.

Customers who use it in the cloud use it for email, file storage, and backup. When used on-premises, it is used for applications and databases.

What is most valuable?

Veeam Backup Replication is secure. They have covered almost every aspect, both in terms of security and backup, and management.

Integration with various applications, such as on-premises laptops and desktop backups, as well as applications and databases, is excellent. Also, they've added cloud integration, which is a plus.

The combination with Nutanix is admirable. It is very good.

It is easy to use.

It is simple to learn while performing POCs or demonstrations.

What needs improvement?

The automation could be better.

Automation is also available, but one customer recently requested a few types of automation that were not yet available, but they are working on it.

It is not 100 percent successful. POCs are being developed by a travel agency in Mumbai, and they are currently being improved.

In terms of automation, I believe they are adequate but not flawless. You can rate it a 3, or 4.

The infrastructure required for installation is still quite expensive. Even the deduplication part, which they promise up to 50%, you get 60, 70, or even 80% somewhere, but they promise 50%. If you specifically compare them to the data domain or some application appliances, you can say deduplication is not that mature. But, in a normal scenario, it is fine.

The support could be improved.

I have been working with Veeam Backup & Replication for more than five years.

Veeam Backup Replication is a stable solution.

The scalability is good. We have a customer who started with 10 licenses and has since grown to more than 30, or 50 licenses. They are also looking into another three or four branches.

We have more than 10 customers.

Technical support is good, but I wouldn't rate it more than seven out of ten.

Support could be better, but it depends on what the issue is. We have some issues with the database and backup time or the backup window more specifically, sometimes there are backup failures.

Support could be improved, but that depends on the issue. We are having some issues with the database and backup time, or more specifically, the backup window; occasionally, we experience backup failure.

If you do the root analysis, you will find that these are the issues, and they will suggest ways to resolve the issue from the knowledge base.

Someone who has worked in that environment or understands backup replication technology can help, as can an L2 engineer. However, it will be more difficult for L1. He must escalate to support, and support will take three, four, or five days, depending on the severity of the issue and the nature of the call.

If it is not a critical environment, and if only that option is enabled, I think this is a good solution. However, this is a very critical environment, and if you do not enable other things, such as instant recovery or something similar, and you don't have the expertise, it can be painful for the customer.

We are working with Nutanix and Dell products for disaster recovery.

The installation is simple and straightforward. Anyone who understands backup storage or product installation can understand this.

They have a sizing calculator and everything, once you enter that data and the retention period and everything, everything comes up with you.

The time it takes for installation and deployment is dependent on the recovery process. However, they have instant recovery, which will also take less than a minute.

It's just adding up that specific storage. The research option for indexing is also good. If you know what you want to search you can search the catalog, and then copy/paste or download that image. If you want a proper file-level recovery, it will take some time. Specifically for virtual machines you want to completely revoke that machine, it only takes a minute or two, if that.

Recovery is such an important part of any backup and recovery solution.

Because replication solutions include in-built licensing, you do not need to purchase a replication license separately, which is beneficial for Veeam.

We have completed approximately five large projects for enterprises with 1000 or more customers, 1000 or more end-users, or applications and databases. As a result, we needed seven to eight days to deploy and maintain everything with just one person.

What they have in place for the licensing, is really good, which makes it easy to convince customers.

It is a subscription license, and that is where every software solution is heading. The software subscription model can be once a year, or every three years, or every five years.

What other advice do I have?

Nutanix is capable of disaster recovery. Mine is a backup, but Veeam has the same capability, as does Mine, and is a hybrid of Veeam and Nutanix. Veeam is a different backup and replication software that we also used.

Definitely, I would recommend this solution. I have been working with Veeam for over five years. And I sold it to four or five customers in North India by myself. So, yes, we highly recommend Veeam.

I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication an eight out of ten.

Customer IT Services implementation at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A reliable backup, disaster recovery, and intelligent data management solution
  • "Its backup capabilities in general are great."
  • "I prefer a software backup solution that allows me to easily define my origin data, including data files, folders, and virtual machines."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to backup our files and virtual machines.

We use this solution to backup information for our customers. We back up our customers' servers and store the information on local networks. This way, if something goes wrong, we can easily recover the information from our backups.

We have 40 machines that we backup with this solution.

What is most valuable?

Its backup capabilities in general are great.

What needs improvement?

My problem with backup software is the following: The main advantage that all of this software strives for is the ability to store data on a proprietary file system. When you look at the backup files stored in Veeam and other solutions, you cannot directly see the real files. Instead, you see a file structure where the backups are stored inside. This means if you lose the configuration of your backup machine, you only have files stored in a kind of file system that you just cannot get data from. I prefer backup solutions that allow me to regularly look at my backup files — to see the actual files.

I prefer a software backup solution that allows me to easily define my origin data, including data files, folders, and virtual machines. On the targets, they are stored exactly how they are. If it's a virtual machine file, I can find the virtual machine file stored somewhere. I cannot find my folders in a file structure that I don't understand what's in it. I understand why many backup solutions have this kind of file structure; however, this means I also have to have a full backup of the recovery system of my definition configurations.

I don't really like the proprietary file system or file structure, I always prefer the most simple functionalities where I can define this server, this file, these folders, backing up for this target, etc. I am not a fan of cloud storage for backups. Otherwise, I have to have another backup solution or my SAS backup cloud. In short, I am making backups of backups of backups. For me, that's a nightmare.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for roughly two years.

Both the scalability and the stability of Veeam Backup & Replication are good.

Normally, I never need to contact technical support. I guess I would need to if I were using Azure cloud storage, but I don't use Azure for storing backups. As I said, I don't trust the cloud for backups.

We also use some other solutions, but they are open-source, not commercial solutions. We still use a lot of open-source backup solutions because they actually do what we need. They grab data from one place and they store it where we want without storing it in a special data structure. They store the files exactly as they came from the origin; they go to the target and that's it.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We don't pay for this solution, our customers do.

What other advice do I have?

One thing that I enjoy with some open-source solutions is that they're normally the fastest to implement.

With open source solutions, if I have a server and I need to backup something into a folder, either an internet folder, a shared folder on the local network, or a local storage folder, I do not have to have these folders open on the origin system. I only open these folders at the time of transmitting the files, and then they are closed automatically. This means I do not have these folders open if I don't need them because it's safer that way to prevent ransomware attacks and so on.

As I said, don't trust the cloud. If you use the cloud, be sure to have a backup of the cloud. Testing is much more preferable on-premises. This on-premise location can be the local office of the company where you are doing it from, and also remote offices. Just don't use a cloud where you don't know where the server is.

On-premises, when I say "cloud", I mean the internet. I can have an office in London, and if I want to back up on-premise, I do it on the local storage. I don't use general clouds like Azure. I have a server where I know where it is in some location and I remotely back up into that server. I don't buy storage on clouds. I'm really not a good customer for that. I don't trust them. They're excellent, they are really what people say are the future, but I have experienced too many disruptions on clouds. If I go into a software solution where I have to move the cloud, this obligates me to also have a solution to backup the cloud. I don't want to have these two solutions going from the office to the cloud and then also backing up the cloud — it's a nightmare.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Chief Technology Officer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Great snapshots and good special features with the ability to adapt the design
  • "The solution is stable and the performance is good."
  • "The initial setup is complex."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is based on the IAF solutions that are specific for moving the data centers that we have to the cloud. This is the main tension for us right now. We are investing in some past solutions, however, we're not using them yet. There are some tests, some small tests, however, we are moving IAF solutions in order to move our data centers.

What is most valuable?

We like Veeam as it is the kind of backup that has basic snapshots. It's very useful for us as we have a lot of virtual servers. This is the most impressive thing that we see.

There are some special features from Veeam. They have the replication and the kind of backup that we can use. We have a very strong solution in the network. Due to the fact that we have several internal DMS's, we needed to make a special design. Veeam adapted to that. That's why we choose it. With all the solutions, it was not possible to use the actual network structure that we had. Veeam made it possible.

The solution is stable and the performance is good.

The product can scale.

What needs improvement?

For us, it's important that the products can be adapted to different network scenarios. This is the biggest problem. The issues that we had when we selected the products were due to the specifics on the network from a security point of view. Security for us is the most important feature that we need to work with. THey need to ensure that it's possible to secure the network.

The initial setup is complex.

We use several proxies, reverse proxies, due to our needs. It's not so common. There's not too much information and it's not so useful. They could develop it more and they could market it better. Not many users have this scenario. The reverse proxy, for us, was an important piece to implement. If a user has a good view of the reverse proxying during the implementation, it's better.

The solution has been implemented in the company for about one year at this point.

The solution is very stable. We needed to buy the biggest server to accommodate it. The requirements were very high. That's why we started late when they decided to use it. However, after we followed the recommendations and followed the certification of equipment servers and storage that we needed, it's okay. Now we find it's very stable.

The scalability is very good. Everybody uses it. In general, we have about 125,000 people using it.

We likely will increase usage in the future.

We needed some technical support at the start. It was good. Here in Brazil, they are from Brazil and they have helped us too in the design phase. That said, the product is very good. We don't need exactly support for any issue that we found. We've only needed some help for the implementation, the start of the design.

In terms of the implementation, it's still being rolled out. It's very big and there is a very sparse structure that we have. It's global. It will take about two years for it to be completely implemented, due to the places and locations we need to implement it. We need to make and design for each place as it is not standard. That's why it takes a long time. We prefer to take it in parts to be careful with the implementation, in order to see if it's really what we want. Therefore, for us, the setup is quite complex.

The results have been good so far. People are liking it very much. That said, we still have some designs to do for other places that we have implemented.

Due to the implementation, we are doing, there are about 50 people working on the deployment. This is just an estimation. It's quite a large project.

We pay the licensing fees on a yearly basis. There may be a few additional costs, however, I cannot speak to those exactly. Our technical team might have a better idea of what is involved in terms of licensing arrangements.

We tried the base license, however, it's my understanding that it wasn't enough and we needed a bit more.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Veeam partner.

In terms of types of deployments used, at this time it's been working more on-premises, however, we have intentions to use the cloud. We are moving several loads to the cloud.

I would advise new users that the design is the most important piece. There are several options in the ways that you can implement it. My recommendation is to look at the strategy. Networking becomes very important. Having a good design at the outset makes things easier.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Rajeev Vadudevan
Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mature and user-friendly with very helpful support
  • "It's got a very good user-friendly interface. It's easy to use."
  • "I would like to have them come up with more robust features when it comes to individual endpoint protection."

What is our primary use case?

We moved to Veeam to have complete virtualization. It's perfect for us. It virtualized our workflows. Veeam is used to support only virtual machines and does not back up to our physical machines.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of Veeam is, first and foremost, the support they provide. They are at the top in support. The support is excellent.

It's got a very good user-friendly interface. It's easy to use.

The training is excellent. of Veeam. I'm from the Middle East. Veeam is very accurate out here and they have very good training facilities over here. On my team, everybody's trained on Veeam.

I'm really happy with Veeam. As of now, we have never had any issues with Veeam. It has performed perfectly.

It's a very mature product.

What needs improvement?

The only thing which was lacking was the support, some years back, for the cloud connect. It's matured now and has become a very reliable product.

I would like to have is better documentation. Veeam documentation is something that needs to be worked on. The training program is very good, however, they need to have better work documentation.

Also, very few third parties have courses on Veeam. Veeam only provides co-courses. For example, everybody has got courses about Cisco or Microsoft. Veeam is very closed on that factor. If they want to really popularize the software, they need to have more training, and the training should be more widely available via third parties.

The cost is a hindrance towards learning for certifying in Veeam. They need to make it more open and less expensive to open it up for more companies and users.

On individual user backups, there are certain people who have got individual PCs and they have data on them. Veeam is not up to that mark. There is other software we use which is much better than Veeam when it comes to individual data protection. I would like to have them come up with more robust features when it comes to individual endpoint protection.

I've been working with data protection for 15 to 20 years. I recently moved to Veeam. We've used it now for seven or eight years.

As of now, it has never given us any issue, in my personal experience. Veeam is a very robust product. There has never been any problem and there have not been any downtimes, so we have absolutely nothing to complain about. It's a good product.

We are a hundred-person virtualized shop. We have close to 250 users. We have continuous data protection.

Veeam has been extensively used in our company as all our servers are getting backed up. We have some six to seven ESXi hosts. Between all our servers, we have some 30 to 35 VMs. Veeam is a very integral part of our data strategy out here.

They have different tiers - from a free tier to an enterprise tier. With the new updates, it's very scalable.

Technical support has always been great. They're the best in the business and are very helpful and supportive.

We don't directly deal with Veeam. We have an MSP who supports us on our network. However, we have never had any issues with Veeam. If there are any issues, it's sorted out immediately.

I started with Symantec and have recently moved to Veeam. I'm also familiar with Commvault.

When you're really looking at enterprise, I personally would go for Commvault. That's a product that is built for the enterprise. Veeamis aimed t smaller businesses.

The initial setup is very simple. It's just a user-driven thing. It's very, very simple.

It's not as complicated as Commvault. Commvault is a little complicated. However, with Veeam, when it comes to user-friendliness, it's a brilliant product.

Maintenance is easy. It's not a problem at all. It's handled by a third-party provider that is a partner of Veeam.

We currently have ten to 15 different licenses. I can't speak to the exact details as it's mostly handled by the IT operations team.

Beyond the licensing, the only cost which we have incurred, which was a little too much, was the training. In our company, people need to be certified as we basically go for internal competence and upscaling our people, as a team. However, Veeam certifications are costly. That is one thing that was a little bit of a pain point for us.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer of Veeam.

I recommend Veeam very highly. It's a very mature product.

If you have a virtualized environment, which 99% of the people have virtualized environments now, it's perfect. Veeam is something which is built for virtualization.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Director at a printing company with 11-50 employees
Provides automated recovery verification for both backups and replicas
  • "It's relatively easy to use and the ability to recover in a short period of time has been great."
  • "Even though the speed has improved over the years, I think that there are some instances where it still takes a while."

What is our primary use case?

I'm actually a consultant, so I deploy it for my customers — quite a few of them.

Our clients are partly interested in backing up their application servers and their environment — that's the first priority. Some of our clients have gone a bit further into remote disaster recovery, off-site disaster recovery. They replicate to another location for those purposes.

Our clients are small to medium-sized companies.

What is most valuable?

There are a few of them. It's relatively easy to use and the ability to recover in a short period of time has been great — I think that works quite well. I've compared Veeam with other products and to me, it works the best of the lot.

What needs improvement?

Even though the speed has improved over the years, I think that there are some instances where it still takes a while. In some cases, we have experienced fluctuations in performance. For example, yesterday we performed a synthetic full backup. Normally, this takes less than 90 minutes, but other times, it takes well more than six hours to get 40% of the way.

Other than that, I find that it does what is expected and maybe a bit more. I also don't think that I've really tapped into all of the features of it as yet.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for roughly 10 years.

Veeam Backup & Replication is very stable.

As I mentioned earlier, I have not really investigated all of the features, and one of them is potentially more scalability than anything else. Regarding what little I have done so far, it seems to be pretty scalable. I do have a couple of projects in the works that I'm going to push out a bit more, so I won't be able to give a fair assessment until I have gone through those projects.

I would say it is good. I'm trying to remember when the last time was that I had to call technical support. I think they're very satisfactory overall.

I think that the support resources are adequate. They're pretty good, actually. At the moment, I can't think of anything in terms of technical support and the community support that is lacking.

The initial setup is straightforward. There were no major issues. Well, there was one issue, but that was with an older version of it. For some reason, it would not work on a machine that was part of a domain, but I got that sorted out using a later version of the software.

Regarding deployment, I was able to install the software myself. I had it up and running in a couple of days. We went through a period of more than a week to ensure that the backups were being done properly, were being finished properly. I would say within a couple of weeks it settled down and it's been working fine since then.

In terms of deployment, it usually takes one person. I installed it with a colleague — we're both Veeam certified, so that helps. From the point of view of the end-users, they seemed to grasp it pretty readily. At every institution, there are one or two people that are needed to maintain it — that's it. As I said, it's stable and relatively simple to use. My customers are satisfied with it.

Some of our clients were using solutions like Arc-Serv, Backup Exec. There are a couple of clients who actually evaluated NAKIVO and Veeam a few years ago. There was one client that was comparing Commvault to Veeam. They eventually went with Commvault, but a lot of that has to do with the support of AS400 symbols. They were able to manage their backup costs and a number of different environments using Commvault.

A number of my clients moved from physical machines to virtual ones. They were using primarily Arc-Serv and Veritas Backup Exec, which proved to be a bit inadequate for new virtual environments. It was never seamless. It was never as straightforward as you would have liked. With NAKIVO, we found that it tended to be easier to deal with. Still, even though one of our customers did go with NAKIVO, after a couple of years, they actually moved onto Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others.

I've been using it for a number of years and the bottom line is — it works very well and is simple to use. Within an hour or two, my customers are comfortable enough to be able to create their jobs and monitor job progress, etc. If it works for them, it works for me.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.