We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Oracle Service Bus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Service Bus is #6 ranked solution in top Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Service Bus an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Service Bus is most commonly compared to Mule ESB: Oracle Service Bus vs Mule ESB. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is Oracle Service Bus?

Oracle Service Bus transforms complex and brittle architectures into agile integration networks by connecting, virtualizing, and managing interactions between services and applications. Oracle Service Bus delivers low-cost, standards-based integration for mission critical SOA environments where extreme performance, scalability and reliability are critical requirements.

Oracle Service Bus enables companies to use the values of their enterprise applications portfolio. From on-premise, to the cloud to mobile devices, Service Bus allows companies to leverage their existing investments in new ways by extending the performance and scalability leadership of Oracle SOA and API Management.

Oracle Service Bus Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Service Bus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Oracle Service Bus Customers

MakeMyTrip Ltd., Griffith University, Colab Consulting Pty. Ltd., Pacfico Seguros Generales, IGEPA IT-SERVICE GmbH, Guangzhou Municipal Human Resources and Social Security Bureau, Pacfico Seguros Generales, Bank Audi S.A.L., Rydges Sydney Airport, Intelligent Pathways, Nacional Monte de Piedad IAP

Oracle Service Bus Video

Oracle Service Bus Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Service Bus pricing:
  • "This is a very expensive product and the price varies depending on factors such as the number of processors and the number of users. Our licensing fees are approximately $300,000."
  • "The price of this solution is better than the subscription-based Mule ESB."
  • Oracle Service Bus Reviews

PaulPerez
    Integration Architect at Pymma consulting
    Oracle Serice Bus is a beautiful platform for integration based on Orchestraion with a powerful process engine and many connectors and additional tools
    • "The communication between applications is already defined, which means that you don't have to redefine your service infrastructure at the lower level."
    • "The inconvenient part about working with this product is that it's very heavy, requiring a lot of people and a lot of resources."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Service Bus in the business sector (B2B and B2C). The developers use Windows machines for development and CentOS is the current OS for test, preprod and production environments.
    Our primary use case was to implement business processes that can use legacy services (Java, .Net, Package Software). The other main objective was to monitor and analyse our business processes.

How has it helped my organization?

This tool allows us to define our services precisely. Although the XML language and the duo of XSD and WSDL may seem cluttered and inflexible at first glance, it provides us with rigour in our development processes and in defining our services. By using a strict service contract, we were able to reduce the misunderstandings between the development teams and the maintenance costs of our project.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Service Bus is a comprehensive product with many useful features for defining business processes, a powerful mapper, an implementation with many connectors that make life easier.

We were able to easily implement business processes related to sales scenarios.

As I explained earlier, Oracle Service Bus focuses on orchestrating services, but also allows us to compose services. This allows us to improve the granularity of the orchestration.

We have been able to take advantage of the monitoring

The documentation is well done.

What needs improvement?

The product is heavy and requires many resources (CPU, hard disc, memory). The installation is lengthy and complex and looks like an installation from the 90s. The installation of a database (Oracle if possible) and Weblogic is also required.

Today Oracle offers a Docker image that could reduce the installation effort.

In development, we often do not have the equivalent of the machine we can use in production. Because of the resource requirements, it was difficult to test clustering and high availability on development.

II have been using Oracle Service Bus for about three years as an integration platform for various integration projects. started using Oracle Service Bus for approximately three years for different projects.

With respect to stability, the product is good.

Scalability suffers because this is a very large product. Everything is recorded, and everything is very strict at the technical level. For example, it keeps track of what name is linked to each transaction.

If you have a lot of money, then this is a scalable product.

Being an Oracle product, everything is recorded in a database. That means that there is a bottleneck in terms of scalability.

We have between 10 and 20 developers working on this product. It is now in production but I can't easily estimate the total number of users.

We spent some time testing and found some problems with scalability. It can be difficult because when you test, you don't really simulate the behavior of the end-user. For example, people might generally use it in the morning but then one afternoon, everybody is using it and you don't know why. Ultimately, we had good test results but we were annoyed with the scalability.

We had some issues with support. It was a situation where we were under pressure and it took the technical support too long to reply and too long to solve our problem.

I am familiar with a few similar products such as TIBCO, webMethods, and OpenESB.

OpenESB is a similar product that is based on different technology. To scale OpenESB, you need to have a very large machine.

Deploying Oracle Service Bus is a bit rigid if you compare it with similar tools, like OpenESB. For example, when you deploy an application on Oracle, you can deploy a set of services. The important part is that the service is defined when you deploy it. This can be a problem because in some cases, you just want to expose the interface of the service so that it can be used by other services.

Assume that you have services A and B; with some products, you can develop service A without having service B on your system. You simply define a dummy B on your system and after that, you can deploy. This capability means that you have can many teams working concurrently and you can manage many different types of routines because you don't have to access the service itself. You only have to access the interface. However, Oracle Service Bus does not have this capability.

With respect to implementation, this is a very heavy product. It isn't something that is implemented in isolation. Rather, you have to have applications such as a database and an application server, in addition to the Oracle Service Bus itself.

The basic installation will take a day to complete. After that, you need the resources to run that type of software.

The deployment itself is very easy because you just have to install a service on the application server.

Our in-house team was responsible for deployment but I was not there for all of it.

This is a very expensive product and the price varies depending on factors such as the number of processors and the number of users. Our licensing fees are approximately $300,000.

Depending on what other products you license from Oracle, you may have use of Oracle Service Bus. For example, if you use Oracle CRM then you have the right to use the Service Bus as well.

In a case like this, you have a good product, and you can save money on the license that can be put toward development, machines, and resources such as memory.

We target large companies that already have a regular license but if you have an SME or an average company with 100 people or less, then this product is not worth it because the cost is so high. Furthermore, you will be locked in with Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a very complete product and it works well for us.

Mustaque Ali
    Oracle Fusion Middleware Technical Lead at Saint-Gobain ADFORS CZ s.r.o.
    Reseller
    A pretty good solution with helpful plugins and reasonable pricing
    • "Overall it is a pretty good solution."
    • "The interface console is very slow. Even in production, we need to increase the RAM or CPU. And even after that, the performance is still not good in production."

What is most valuable?

Overall it is a pretty good solution.

The most valuable aspects of the solution are mainly the SOA, and the JMS patch. There are some out-of-box items that are good, and, for the most part, they do provide good plugins. We have done the integration with the ESB.

I'm very comfortable with Oracle. I have a good understanding of how the solution works.

What needs improvement?

Mainly our integrations are under JMS. We are looking at some products which have good features and performance related to the JMS. Even if tomorrow if you're planning to replace JMS with Kafka or some other product, then it will be feasible to do it very quickly. However, in Oracle, we have seen a lot of difficulties when we go to integrate Kafka with the replacement of JMS.

The personal settings are not up-to-date, in terms of orchestration. In Italy, we use SOA, however, we have faced a lot of difficulties when we have orchestration projects.

Sometimes, we have seen data loss from the EM. We can't even recover the data from the back end table. Even if we ask the Oracle support team to get a patch they're taking one or two months for the production issue to resolve. These issues are killing the business and productivity. For this reason, management decided to replace Oracle with some other products that are also based on the current application - such as SAP and TIBCO. We're updating our system anyway, so it is a good time to get rid of Oracle.

With Oracle right now, we have to hire more people in the support team to look into all the issues we're facing. That is killing our delivery times and everything.

If I want to do certain integrations or use certain plugins, it occasionally can be really difficult to do the configuration in Oracle Service Bus.

I've been working with the solution for about 12 years at this point. It has been over a decade.

Technical support hasn't been too good as of late.

They say that they are good in terms of dealing with an existing issue. If you highlight it, they can quickly respond with the patch or they can respond with the previous tickets. However, with the new tickets, they will acknowledge your tickets, yet they take forever to actually resolve them.

I've only ever really worked with Oracle products. I did not previously use a different solution.

The cost is reasonable. The price is fine. However, you need to see results from support. When issues pop up in production, delays in support can lead to revenue loss. For this reason, our company is looking into other options. The solution isn't worth the price if it's costing you money in the long run.

Right now, we're doing some due diligence before buying a product. The concept is the same in all the products, only the components are different, the way of integration also are different but the concept is same with the ESB. That's what we are discussing with the technical team. We might look at TIBCO or other things such as MuleSoft.

What other advice do I have?

We aren't using the latest version of the solution. We're working on an older one right now.

After more than a decade of working with the product, I can say that it is a pretty good solution. That said, before buying, a company needs to take into account their overall infrastructure to understand the volume of data they will need to process, et cetera. Based on those requirements, you'll need to find a product that works for you.

While I like Oracle, there's no denying the support issues.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Service Bus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,643 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    PaulPerez
    Integration Architect at Pymma consulting
    Functional message delivery service, but there are issues with monitoring
    • "The ability to master the process in one location."
    • "There are issues, especially if you want to create some compensation in your service bin."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an integration architect and we're a customer of Oracle.

What is most valuable?

What's valuable is the ability to master the process in one location. That's the main difference between other firewall products and this. Usually, there's an issue when you want to integrate many services together because you can't save contacts in one place. For example, if you have A, that calls B, that calls C, that calls D, there's no place to store your contacts and that's a problem. We can do that with Oracle.

What needs improvement?

The main inconvenience is the composition between services. Using software initiation, occupation with BPM, or BPI is better. There are issues, especially if you want to create some compensation in your service bin. If you have six or seven services you call in the same process, it's very difficult and that's the main issue. I get compensation with the WBS tool.

Another point relates to monitoring. When you want to show what's happened in your system, you have to deploy a direct system on each service. It's simple to put the monitoring on your BPM and that's the main difference for me. Also, connectors can be on Apache Kafka, on Oracle, or OpenESB, or on Mule, it's the same thing. It's how you execute the process. For example, OpenESB support is the difference between the interface with the service and the implementation. Oracle is more intelligent. When you want to invoke a service B, for example, you don't directly invoke service B but ask the system for the best and most accurate implementation of B for your system and it provides that. You can't do that with a simple ESB.

For additional features, if I compare OpenESB, there is the possibility to define policy between services so that when you create a connection, you can't associate the connection with the policy. That could be included in the solution.

I've been using the product for a year.

It's a stable solution.

I have no problems with the scalability, but when you define the hierarchies there can be problems.

We've never used technical support, we have our own tech team within the company.

Implementation took a few weeks, no more. It was relatively simple I believe but I'm not an expert on deployment and installation.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, not an exceptional product. You could say it's a bit greedy as it requires lots of additional resources because you have to deploy the database and then ESB on top of that. But if you have the resources and people, it's a good product.

I would rate this product seven out of 10.

Radhey-Rajput
    IT Analyst at NCR Corporation
    Straightforward setup with Good Features but the Connectivity needs Improvement
    • "I am a part of the software developing team and I mainly use this solution for the integrating applications."
    • "The connectivity with the solution is an area that needs to be improved. On occasion, requests are lost due to losing connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

I am a part of the software developing team and I mainly use this solution for the integrating applications.

What is most valuable?

The features most valuable are all of the features relating to the integration of applications.

What needs improvement?

The connectivity with the solution is an area that needs to be improved. On occasion, requests are lost due to losing connectivity.

Also, there should be proper monitoring of what is coming into and going out of the Service bus and it should be logged.

Every request should be logged.

Technical support on the Oracle site needs improvement. When we have an issue, we create an SR for Oracle. The read the request, but they do not respond properly. When creating the SR, they ask for a lot of information from us. The requested information is provided to them but still, a solution is not provided.

It would be a benefit to have proper instruction on the different types of configuration or to have an example or suggestion for different types of Scenarios and how to configure them.

I would like the configuration information provided to us.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

The solution is stable.

We have a lot of customers and we have several enterprise applications.

This solution is scalable. We can add to it and we have multiple interfaces.

We have a lot of users, although I am not sure how many.

We have a team of thirty people working and maintaining this solution. Some are developers and some are part of the administrative team.

The technical support is good.

Technical support on the Oracle site is not as good, sometimes we will get our issues resolved but not always.

It may not be for others but I feel that the initial setup is straightforward. It is not complex.

Once I put in a request and it is approved by a manager, it takes ten to fifteen minutes to deploy.

We deploy both on-premises and Cloud. It's a private company cloud, not public.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle a good product. It can be used for the integration of this solution.

I have only received positive feedback for this solution. The features are good. It's sufficient for us.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    Technical Development Lead at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Straightforward to install with good technical support and good stability
    • "We've been pleased with the level of technical support."
    • "The pricing of the product could be better. It's a bit high."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for the ESB. When we want to integrate applications with each other, they want to communicate with each other, we use this. If one application wants to send a message to some other applications. It's used for transformation and integration.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is very good.

The installation is quite straightforward.

We've been pleased with the level of technical support.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the product could be better. It's a bit high.

We started using the solution around 2014. We've used it for quite a few years now. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

Due to the fact that the solution is technical, there are not that many people on it. We are only a few specialized people that work on this ESB. In development, there are around five to seven people. They are a mix of engineers, managers, and admins.

Technical support has been good. We're satisfied with the level of service on offer.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex or difficult to implement.

In our systems, we install it for our local development. It's easy for us. It takes minutes to install it. The deployment process is quick.

We have five or six technical people that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks.

The pricing could be better.

We pay for the solution on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

The product is a part of the Fusion Middleware. We have the full suite including the SOA and WebLogic.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

If a company wants to go to the Oracle stack, I'd recommend this solution. If a company wants to use it, it should first evaluate their requirements and whether they need to expand or if they have the capacity.

Anurag_Bhatnagar
    Principal Consultant at Tech Mahindra Limited
    Has good reporting and adapters, and easily integrates with other applications
    • "The most valuable feature is the adapters."
    • "This solution would benefit from having more cloud-based adapters."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We have competencies in different ESB products including Mulesoft ESB, Oracle Service Bus, and Microsoft BizTalk.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the adapters.

This solution can be easily integrated.

The reporting is very good.

What needs improvement?

This solution would benefit from having more cloud-based adapters.

I am a solution architect and while my background is mostly in Microsoft solutions, I am familiar with the Oracle products as well. Our company has dedicated teams that are specialized in many different solutions. The choice is driven by the client. For example, if a customer mostly has Oracle products then that is the solution that we implement.

This client for Oracle Service Bus was having trouble with point-to-point integrations, so everything was being done at the back end and it affected the ability to do jobs. This is the reason that they adopted this solution.

The initial setup is a little bit complex. One of the ways it is complex is that there are a lot of features and the customer may not want all of them. Once you figure out which ones the customer doesn't want, they have to be disabled.

The price of this solution is better than the subscription-based Mule ESB.

Mule ESB is another solution that we have a dedicated team for and a lot of experience with. It is very powerful and we felt that in this particular scenario, Oracle had an edge. Mule out-of-the-box is missing a lot of features that Oracle has, and we see this year that Oracle is getting much better than Mule.

Another reason that Oracle was selected over Mule ESB is because of the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on the customer's environment and requirements. For situations where they are many integration points, whether they are on-premises or in the cloud, this is a good solution.

Overall, this is a good solution from the user's perspective, but it is a little bit complex to manage.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hector-Hernandez
    Principal Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Quite stable with a very good set of features
    • "The solution is quite stable overall. We haven't witnessed any performance issues so far."
    • "The initial setup is likely complex for many organizations."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently primarily using the solution for an energy company that is looking to remove the endpoint integration that they have. They want to move to an Applications Federation BOT. That's how we are seeing critical severity loss into the solution. Instead of having the point-to-point integration, we want to implement it as an Enterprise Service Bus.

What is most valuable?

The features on offer are very complete. It's a very good product overall.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall coming across any missing features. There isn't anything glaring that is lacking in the product.

The initial setup is likely complex for many organizations.

In terms of the solution itself, they should be more open with the information that they provide about the licensing process. It's incredibly difficult to understand the licensing for Oracle Service Bus and it's a whole long process to get the information from Oracle itself.

This is a very stable solution. Mostly it's focused on attending companies with high availability. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

We have about ten users engaged in the solution currently.

It's my understanding that the solution isn't straightforward. It's actually quite complex.

The setup and onboarding process is hard, and it's made more difficult by a murky licensing process that needs to be clarified.

The licensing process needs to be simplified. It's confusing and tedious. It's very hard to get concrete details out of Oracle in a timely manner. It would be ideal if they could be more exact and specific.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a customer. I represent a company in charge of integrating solutions for customers, specifically for our customers. We're a partner and implementor.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Even with the difficulties around licensing, the solution itself is quite good and reliable.

Lead Tech of Oracle Service Bus with 51-200 employees
    Good connectors for interfacing with other applications, but the technical support needs to be improved
    • "The most valuable feature of this solution is that you can connect with different applications."
    • "This solution should work better with RESTful services."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle Service Bus to connect between API management and microservices. For example, we use it for data transformation, bringing data from a specific form in one service to another form in a different service.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I had a problem with one of my projects because OSB cannot send cookies to the RESTful services.

This solution should work better with RESTful services.

I have been working with Oracle Service Bus for two years.

This solution is stable.

We have four developers who are using this solution.

The technical support for this solution is not very good. I have not been able to get problems resolved because I do not have a professional account. The support is not very useful for developers.

Prior to using Oracle Service Bus, I was using webMethods Integration Server, by AG.

It was not my decision to switch and I am comfortable working with either of these solutions.

webMethods is very easy to use but it does not offer the same level of capability for personalizing your development. With respect to ease of use, for data transformation in OSB, we had to write a function but with webMethods it was just a drag and drop.

The initial setup is not complex. It takes less than one minute to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to study the architecture that they want to implement very well. That way, they won't have to have repeated flows that do the same work.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.