Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is the #2 ranked solution in top Web Content Filtering tools, #4 ranked solution in top Internet Security tools, and #8 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. PeerSpot users give Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is most commonly compared to Zscaler Internet Access: Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway vs Zscaler Internet Access. Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway?

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is a secure web gateway (SWG) tool that provides multiple forms of protection against malware, including blocking categories of websites, inline scanning of downloaded files, and zero trust-based advanced threat protection. The solution monitors and controls any interaction with any website, including blocking access to websites based on category and risk score, blocking download of malware, blocking upload of sensitive data to personal file sharing accounts, and detecting shadow IT.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Features

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Real-time traffic inspection
  • RBI profiles
  • Discovery dashboard
  • Bypass prevention
  • Unified on-device agent
  • Field Programmable SASE Logic (FPSL)

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Fast: The solution is high speed with on-device enforcement. Traffic is routed directly to its destination. In addition, you will experience fewer bottlenecks and choke points.
  • Flexible: Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is designed to automatically scale up or down with traffic needs. It is also flexible because it is hosted on AWS in more than 300 data centers.
  • Advanced DLP capabilities: The solution’s advanced DLP capabilities keep sensitive information from leaking out onto websites to provide consistent protection and simplify management.
  • Streamlined security: Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is part of Forcepoint ONE, a Security Service Edge (SSE) cloud-native platform that provides secure access to web, cloud, and private apps while connecting users directly to websites so you can skip the data center.
  • Unified administrator console: You can use the solution’s unified administrator console to reduce repetitive and redundant configuration management.

Reviews from Real Users

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is a solution that stands out when compared to many of its competitors. Some of its major advantages are that it has strong reporting capabilities, good URL filtering, and can retrieve and analyze lost data when necessary.

Shipra G., Service Delivery Manager at Paramount Computer Systems, says, “The reporting part of it is pretty awesome. With the reporting, you can drill down effectively. It gives us a lot of power to really look into what we are looking for. That is one very crucial feature. In the remote filtering part, the agent that they have on Forcepoint is pretty light. That also is a very, very good feature that we look into and sell.”

Mohammed S., Security Engineer at Futuretec, writes, "The most valuable feature for me in Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is URL filtering, though all other features of the product are okay as well."

Arvind K., Director at Foresight Software Solutions Pvt Ltd., says, “They have well-integrated web security. They have the enterprise DLP included in the cloud as well.”

An Ict Help Desk Administrator Individual Contributor at a transportation company states, “The most valuable feature of Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is the ability to retrieve and analyze lost data. It also allows us to detect and prevent the release of all messages and to take appropriate actions in consequence.”

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway was previously known as Forcepoint SWG, Websense Web Security, Forcepoint TRITON.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Customers

Adventist Health, Alphawest, Amadori, Anoka County, Compartamos Banco, Davies Turner, EverBank, iGATE, Karlstad Municipality, Lake Michigan Credit Union, Scavolini, Smurfit Kappa, Toyota

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Video

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway pricing:
"Overall, I am not aware of the option to pay for one time use of Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway."

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Reviews

Lead Integration Architect at DXC Technology
Reasonably priced, easy to set up, and offers near real-time reporting capabilities
  • "There is some sandboxing available, which is quite useful."
  • "The Sandbox solution should be integrated with the NIST to handle whatever new vulnerabilities or new sites are identified as potential threats."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as an overall proxy. We are using Forcepoint Web Gateway to allow only trusted, valid URLs - whatever is accepted or offered by the cache rate.

It's a landing zone for all kinds of end-user traffic for the internal users, as well as to protect against any attacks from my external users. Also, it controls the internal IT assets and can protect us from hard, new, cyber attacks, ransomware, and other things. That's how it has been used right now specifically.

What is most valuable?

The agent is acting as a HIPS, host intrusion prevention system, apart from providing trusted access to any external websites. It is doing some real-time monitoring, as well as reporting security events. It can able to give an alert for any security event, which is any unauthorized event. It sends a notification to the reporting manager, who can be immediately alerted. It can happen in nearly real-time. The reporting is very helpful.

There is some sandboxing available, which is quite useful.

The solution is scalable.

It's fairly easy to set up if you have some prior knowledge.

The stability is good.

It offers reasonable pricing.

What needs improvement?

The Sandbox solution should be integrated with the NIST to handle whatever new vulnerabilities or new sites are identified as potential threats. That could be dynamically integrated and implemented in a production enrollment, just like intelligence threat production. That would help in an intruder use case.

We've been using the solution for three or more years.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is okay. The performance is also very good. The threat handling is almost near real-time, and even notifications and reporting happen fast so that we can take corrective actions. Overall, the experience was good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

In our organization, we have 35,000 people.

It is very scalable. We haven't had any issues with the process.

I don't deal with technical support directly. However, we haven't had any major issues and likely have not needed much support in general.

We are using multiple products. For an antivirus, we are using Symantec solution as well as Trend Micro. For our deep security, we are using IBM Deep Security. For our SIM product, we are using IBM Suite, as well as, for all other things, Cell Core for data DLP and DLK solutions. Predominantly, that's it. We are also using Forcepoint and a few other cloud-based web solutions.

However, we used something called CrowdStrike only as a validation solution for a very short period. Then immediately, we started migrating to Forcepoint.

CrowdStrike predominantly behaves like a sensor; it's not giving all the features of a proper web application firewall. We have to configure a bunch of things as a part of the CrowdStrike.

If a person understands all the important tools and how they can be integrated with all other security products, it's easier to set up. It's a little bit of a challenge for any new person. There should be a blueprint or a condensing intro matrix. The Secure Web Gateway must be integrated with multiple other security products within the enterprise. There needs to be a compatibility matrix, like how this virtual VDA enrollment and other solutions. Nowadays, VDA enrollment is also coming as a hosted solution in the cloud and virtual software enrollments. It can be either on Azure, AWS, or some other third-party tools, probably that's like VMware Horizon, or it may be coming from Nutanix Frame. There are so many integration complexities in a large enterprise. If there's a blueprint, automation, or workflow, it improves the early adoption of these tools and provides a better onboarding experience.

Most of the deployments we manage through the deployment tools collected, either via IBM patch management solutions, or some automation tools, like Python. Using these agents helps with the rollout.

Initially, we took a week to ten days to deploy the product. However, rolling out the agents now, the agents are adding automated tools. For the initial implementation in our organization, we had more than 2,000 finder servers, plus other NTPs, which is why it took almost ten days.

I'd rate the overall process a four out of five in terms of ease of deployment.

Following deployment, the maintenance is minimal. It's on the cloud and we have a subscription, so there isn't much to manage.

While I'm not directly handling the licensing and payments, my understanding is the solution is competitively priced.

What other advice do I have?

We're internally using the product. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. IT and security mostly deal with the product and any updates.

Potential new users will find it easy to adopt this solution. Most policies can be leveraged from other deployments, and you can confidently run them.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

I would rate the product nine out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Shipra Gupta - PeerSpot reviewer
Service Delivery Manager at Paramount Computer Systems
Simple to set up, reliable, and offers great reporting
  • "It’s pretty stable after you get up and running."
  • "We have had latency issues."

What is our primary use case?

Basically, we are the system integrators. We apply it to clients for use cases such as productivity increases. For example, if they want to block Facebook and those kinds of social networking sites, it will help stop users from off-work distractions. They also are now catering to the use case of remote working to control access off-site. That involves cloud solutions.

The setup is simple.

It’s pretty stable after you get up and running.

The solution scales well.

What needs improvement?

Right now, Forcepoint is in very, very good shape. They are developing and evolving very fast. There is not any particular enhancement necessary.

We have had latency issues.

The cloud portal that they have should be more flexible, and we should have a practice portal. For example, if we want to implement something specific, we can’t practice making sure it will be right before going ahead and doing it live.

I’ve been using the solution for eleven years now. It’s been more than a decade. I’ve used it for a while.

Sometimes we do face issues with hiccups in latency. There could be hiccups in, for example, the user setup or the user education part, however, after that, it's okay. It’s not very often we have any issues.

The solution is 100% scalable. It’s not a problem at all. It scales well whether you are on the cloud or on-premises.

We’ve been in touch with technical support. That's nearly our daily task. The tech support is also very good. We are based out of India, so sometimes, being in the India region, we face an issue with timing as we have to deal with time zones. However, they are improving this.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I am also now starting to work on the McAfee Web Gateway and we are also working with Cisco. I am not particularly dealing with it. Forcepoint has still proven to be the best for me.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple. It’s not overly complex or challenging.

In terms of maintenance, there is none at all, actually. If you implement it correctly in the initial phase, it requires very little interaction throughout.

I don’t deal with any aspects surrounding the costs or licensing. I don’t know what the exact price is.

What other advice do I have?

On the DLP, we are on version 8.9.1, and on the Web Gateway, we are on version 8.5.4. We are using both on-premises and cloud deployments.

We are integrators. I am mainly dealing in Forcepoint, including Forcepoint Web Gateway, Forcepoint DLP, and a little bit of Forcepoint Email as well.

The presales part of the onboarding process has to be very, very proper. Whatever requirements the users are looking for, that should be put on paper, however. Otherwise, if they're expecting something else and the solution is providing something else, this sometimes creates an issue at a later date. Clients need to know what they are getting into.

I’d rate the solution eight out of ten.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway
December 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Security Engineer at Futuretec
Scalable and has a good URL filtering feature, but its interface isn't easy to use, and the technical support is bad
  • "The most valuable feature for me in Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is URL filtering, though all other features of the product are okay as well."
  • "A room for improvement in Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is the support it offers. It's very bad. What I'd like to see in the next release of the product is for it to be less complicated because at the moment Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is more complicated than other products. Sometimes issues come up that you can't solve without the support team. For example, you should write the root password to fix the issue. In the next release of the product, it would be good if it had an easy-to-use interface. Troubleshooting issues in Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway should be less complicated as well."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me in Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is URL filtering, though all other features of the product are okay as well.

What needs improvement?

I've been dealing with Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway for about two years now. My company doesn't use the product. It's the customers who use Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is a scalable product.

We had to contact Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway technical support because some of the features didn't work, but it took them a long time to respond. Sometimes, even if you call support many times, they will not respond. In the end, they weren't able to solve our issues. We solved the issues ourselves.

The initial setup for Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway isn't easy. When you compare it to Fortinet, it's very complicated.

For example, for Fortinet FortiProxy, you don't need to install the database or SQL, and there's no need to prepare a server. You also don't need to do a lot of authentication because it's only one appliance, so it will work via proxy, then you can do the installation.

For Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway, you need two servers: one for installing the management software and the second server for SQL, and only then can you control the appliance.

The initial setup for Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is complicated, especially when compared to Fortinet FortiProxy.

In terms of Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway pricing, I'm not part of the sales team. I'm on the technical team, so I don't have information on the price.

What other advice do I have?

I work for an IT company that provides solutions to customers such as Fortinet, Palo Alto, Forcepoint, and GoSecure. In terms of Forcepoint, my company focuses on web security, particularly Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway.

My company has enterprise customers who use the product.

The number of users of Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway varies. One customer has around six hundred users. Another customer has three hundred users then there's a customer in the banking industry that has a thousand users.

My advice to others looking into implementing Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is to prepare a lab and create scenarios in the lab before going to the customers.

My rating for the solution is seven out of ten.

Shamirhan Sulaiman - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Market Growth and Development at Netpoleons
Good web security, reliable, and is a pretty simple solution
  • "It's stable and reliable."
  • "The initial setup can be complex."

What is our primary use case?

It protects against data leaks and offers us application security.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a combination of Gatsby web security and the LP. That is why we are pushing Forcepoint ONE. Forcepoint ONE is a product itself that Forcepoint has been recently pushing to the customers.

The product is simple.

It's stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

They will require a combination of other brands and other products that actually caters to the data leak portion. Forcepoint ONE, for example, covers for the data leak itself, however, it's just data leaks. In order to have comprehensive security protection for your data, you will need other products, like data encryption. You will need privileged access management and endpoint security to make the Forcepoint product more robust.

The initial setup can be complex.

I've used the solution for about three years. The company I work for has been working with it for about five years.

The solution is stable.

If you are looking for just data leaks and web security, the product itself should suffice, however, if you want to make your solution or your cyber portion more robust, then you will require other products to be embedded as well to work hand in hand, for your information to be more secure.

Being the distributor for Forcepoint, we have our own engineers to cover from day zero to day two in terms of engineering support for deployment and forming payments and also for troubleshooting. We do leverage Forcepoint, however, we have our own in-house engineers to assist Forcepoint to cover the clinical aspect.

In terms of the policy, the initial setup can be complex.

The solution is simple, however, the complexity comes when you are writing the policy for the data leak part. Even web security is all policy. You would need to translate your business requirements into cyber security requirements so that basically whatever policy that is being in place, covers your business requirements for your cyber footprint.

We help our customers or partners deploy the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are the authorized distributor for Forcepoint in Asia-Pacific.

Currently, we are pushing Forcepoint ONE into the market.

The thing to consider at the outset is, basically, what they want to protect. Are you protecting internal factors or are you looking at protecting from external factors? Forcepoint DLP covers the internal factor, meaning that you do not want your data to be compromised from internal leaks, and not external. If you're looking to protect against external anomalies, then basically it's Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway that you should be looking at.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Director at Foresight Software Solutions Pvt Ltd
Reseller
Easy to set up with well-integrated web security and decent technical support
  • "The initial setup is easy. It's not difficult."
  • "It takes 20 to 30 minutes for policy replication."

What is our primary use case?

We are the implementation partner for Forcepoint, and then we configure and integrate Forcepoint into the customer enrollment.

We personally use cloud Websecurity and cloud Email security of Forcepoint.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is easy. It's not difficult.

Technical support has been okay.

What needs improvement?

The Bitglass part, right now, we are trying to learn it, and then trying to acquire skillsets around it.

For cloud web security, there are definitely areas where it requires improvement, Policy changes take 20 to 30 minutes for enforcement.

Granular control based on applications can be further enhanced.

I've been dealing with the solution for six or seven years and Websense for the last 15 years.

It is stable. That said, at times we do get complaints from customers. Some of the government and banking sites not being accessible via cloud proxy. At times it is required to bypass them or route it through different data centers. Though Forcepoint has no say in some websites restricting the access if they can out with a solution to detect and bypass or redirect the traffic through a working data center it will add further value.

We are integrators. We are supporting from 1,000 systems to somewhere around a 10,000 to 20,000 user base.

We have used technical support in the past. There are two aspects. How quickly they respond is one aspect. Then, whatever the answer that they provide, is it of any use. In terms of the response, it varies. Sometimes they will be able to solve it, and then sometimes it may have to be internally taken up to the next level.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup is very simple and not overly difficult.

I cannot speak to the exact pricing of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are integrators. While we typically do cloud deployments off-late, for on-premises, we have deployed Hybrid and on-premises Websecurity deployments.

I'd advise users, if they want to make use of it, to learn the technology and then the approach the product is trying to take. I'd advise users only proceed once they understand it. That way, they'll be in a good position to manage it. As with any technology, learn the basics and building blocks of it.

I'd rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Ict Help Desk Administrator Individual Contributor at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
Enables us to retrieve and analyze lost data
  • "Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway has improved our organization through its ease of use."
  • "A feature we wish to see addressed in the next release of Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway involves its administration."

What is our primary use case?

We make use of a host of features offered by Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway. We primarily use it to analyze cloud-based data which enters and exits our company through external web access. We retrieve all the data for analysis of any external transactions as these relate to the application of messages.

How has it helped my organization?

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway has improved our organization through its ease of use. It is not a slow product. It has numerous features that give us control over suspicious and malicious transactions. We can also integrate it for security management purposes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

A feature of Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway that can be improved is the speed of data analysis.

Also, there should be enhanced detection when it comes to the loading of encrypted data.

A feature we wish to see addressed in the next release of the product involves its administration.

I do not consider the product to be excellent and would rate it an eight out of ten.

We have been using Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway for around three years.

I like the stability of Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway and feel it to be very useful.

I would evaluate Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway's technical support for a first time user as an eight out of nine.

The initial setup of the product did not take long and was uncomplicated. Its deployment took three days.

We deployed by outsourcing to an open source software company and took courses to familiarize ourselves with the product's features.

Overall, I am not aware of the option to pay for one time use of Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway. We sometimes take out a monthly subscription to the product but prefer to do so on an annual basis.

What other advice do I have?

The versions of Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway that we currently use are 6.5 through 6.7.

We decided to go with it to enhance our main security features. This made a lot of sense, as antenna extensions between users is generally required.

Edwin EzeOsiago - PeerSpot reviewer
Regional Solutions Manager at Infodata Professional Services
Reseller
A stable and scalable solution with valuable ease of administration
  • "The policies are category-based, so knowledge of another content URL is not compulsory."
  • "The product could be improved by including a consolidated product that can carry on Forcepoint product email, web, and DLP."

What is most valuable?

We have found the ease of administration most valuable. The policies are category-based, so knowledge of another content URL is not compulsory. In addition, it is a bit granular. For example, if we accept a policy on a social media platform like Facebook we have the option to limit what can be done on the platform.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by including a consolidated product that can carry on Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway product email, web, and DLP. It's a single licensing suite that carries all the features instead of having a product. Additionally, a consolidated approach to their products would be excellent, and Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway should be on the same path to work with peers looking at cloud adoption entirely.

We have been using this solution for approximately six years.

The solution is stable with hybrid as it provides high availability. For example, if your on-premises gateways and your data centers have disconnectivity of power, the cloud gateway still enforces web traffic if you have a hybrid version.

The solution is scalable. For example, if you have between 2,000 to 4,000 users, they advise you to choose a specific size of an appliance, and then you have scalability. Additionally, if you intend to expand, you can add a second device or get a more significant single device.

Hence, you can increase the number of devices to accommodate your scalability or choose a more significant device for scalability. Approximately 4,000 users access this solution in our organization.

We have had a good experience with customer service and support. For example, we have support from the EMEA, APAC and the North American region. So, it depends on the time you're logging the call. If you log support calls during the EMEA work time, then you're bound to get engineers from that region.

The initial setup is complex, it requires an expert engineer to complete but managing the solution afterwards is not complex.

I rate licensing costs an eight out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of ten. The solution is good but can be improved by including a consolidated product that will carry on Forcepoint product email, web, and DLP.

Director at Foresight Software Solutions Pvt Ltd
Reseller
Offers great visibility and controls can easily be put in place
  • "Provides good visibility and good filtering features."
  • "Managing the endpoint for both DLP and web security should be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to control internet access based on security profiles. Users are restricted to legitimate sites and then, based on the business use case, we provide access to streaming sites and the like. We are customers and resellers of Secure Web Gateway and I'm a company director.

What is most valuable?

All the secure gateways are more or less the same. The value of Secure Web Gateway is the visibility it offers and the ease by which we can put controls in place. We enabled the cloud DLP so we can see what's happening to the data. The solution also provides good filtering features.

What needs improvement?

One improvement I'd like to see would be to simplify managing the endpoint for both DLP and web security, so that endpoint management becomes easier. The dashboard is a little old so a new GUI would be helpful as well as updated reporting tools. It currently lacks some features that other solutions have.

I've been using this solution for over eight years.

It's reasonably stable but sometimes there are issues in the cloud.

The scalability is good, our entire organization uses this product including engineers, marketing and administration.

I'd say that customer service is above average.

The initial setup is straightforward, we deployed in-house and implementation required one person. The initial setup takes two or three days, but rolling it out and making sure that everybody has the required access, and that business applications are accessible, can take a month or so.

The ROI is like insurance, it's the knowledge that you're protected. The fact that it's taking care of my security needs, is a return.

I'm unaware of licensing costs but there is an extra cost for additional reporting.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to test any solution before making a decision to purchase it. Evaluate your needs and expectations, and carry out a POC.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Customer
Download our free Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022