IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Bitdefender MDR OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Bitdefender MDR is #15 ranked solution in MDR Services. PeerSpot users give Bitdefender MDR an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Bitdefender MDR is most commonly compared to Sophos Managed Threat Response: Bitdefender MDR vs Sophos Managed Threat Response. Bitdefender MDR is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 42% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Bitdefender MDR?

Managed detection and response (MDR) services identify and limit the impact of security incidents within a customer’s environment.

This service leverages 24/7 monitoring, technologies deployed at the host and network layers, advanced analytics, threat intelligence, and human expertise in incident investigation to remove threat actors from customer environments.

Bitdefender MDR was previously known as Bitdefender Managed Detection and Response.

Bitdefender MDR Customers
Northstar, SeSa, Greenman-Pederson, TUI Benelux
Bitdefender MDR Video

Bitdefender MDR Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Bitdefender MDR pricing:
  • "I know it is based on the volume and size and also on different multi-year agreements. There are different discounts applied, but I can't really speak about the specifics."
  • "It varies based on the number of licenses."
  • Bitdefender MDR Reviews

Director of Information Technology - Systems Architect at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    A strong product with good AI, reporting, and analytics
    • "A lot of the AI that is running in the background that deals with the response on different detections is important, and the learning from the labs themselves is also very important. That's where they set themselves apart from others. A lot of the other products that are out there on the market probably have a lot more bells and whistles, but they are not necessarily directed at the heart of what MDR should do, at least in my opinion. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and in my opinion, if you're getting back to the basics and doing what its true intention is, they've done a very good job in comparison to others."
    • "They're doing a really good job. The throughput and the response time can always be better, but there's already a solution out there. It depends on how much and what tier you want to be a part of. The way they're designed is that if you pay for it, you can have a turnaround time in a very short amount of time. If you don't pay for it, your response time is going to be a little bit less. That can always be improved, no matter what tier you're on. It could be in terms of tech support, or it could also be things like getting the reports and getting the summary back from the labs. When something is detected, what did it all entail? There are a lot of those things. It's not all in one, but all of those are different branches."

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features. I've demoed and piloted a lot of it through some of the programs and partnerships that I have set up with Bitdefender themselves. The reporting and the analytics are very important to me, but not everybody is going to have the same answer. Some people don't really care about reports or analytics. They just want it to protect them.

A lot of the AI that is running in the background that deals with the response on different detections is important, and the learning from the labs themselves is also very important. That's where they set themselves apart from others. A lot of the other products that are out there on the market probably have a lot more bells and whistles, but they are not necessarily directed at the heart of what MDR should do, at least in my opinion. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and in my opinion, if you're getting back to the basics and doing what its true intention is, they've done a very good job in comparison to others.

In general, just with the way the market is, MDR solutions are mainly for those IT teams that are very lean, and there is not a whole lot. It greatly assists in detecting and responding but in more of a managed setup so that your eye isn't caught doing something else, and something is happening behind your back. So, the intention is there, and it's a very strong solution. It works really well.

What needs improvement?

They're doing a really good job. The throughput and the response time can always be better, but there's already a solution out there. It depends on how much and what tier you want to be a part of. The way they're designed is that if you pay for it, you can have a turnaround time in a very short amount of time. If you don't pay for it, your response time is going to be a little bit less. That can always be improved, no matter what tier you're on. It could be in terms of tech support, or it could also be things like getting the reports and getting the summary back from the labs. When something is detected, what did it all entail? There are a lot of those things. It's not all in one, but all of those are different branches.

Another thing is the ability to reach out directly to somebody. If you pay for a very specific account representative, you do have a number you can call, and they can check from the inside for you, but for those that don't have the ability or the finances to have that license, opening up just for support and the ability to get in touch with somebody is always something that can be worked on.

I have been working with it for four to six months. I have piloted it and test piloted a few other things with it.

Managed Detection and Response (MDR)
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Bitdefender, Sophos, Arctic Wolf Networks and others in Managed Detection and Response (MDR). Updated: July 2022.
    621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.

What other advice do I have?

You can have Bitdefender themselves for management. They do offer several different options to have a hybrid setup, where the management is at the client's site, and they have the power to manage and decide what they want to do with different things it detects. They can also offload the majority of it or a certain stack of alerts to a managed provider.

I would rate it a solid eight out of ten. That's a pretty high mark. I've been around them and their engineers in the lab for a long time. I know what they're doing. I know where they're headed. Everything is pointing up for them. Their biggest drawback has been the part of the globe that they operate from, but they are expanding very significantly year after year. They are growing very healthily on the personal and the enterprise side, and they're stretching around the world more. That's only going to help them, but as it sits right now, if you were to go to Gartner or some other outside entity that provides feedback or surveys, they have always been middle of the road. They are always held back from other people in the US or North America. A lot of that has to do with where Gartner is located as well, but they are catching up. There will always be people who come out of nowhere and jump right to the top, but they don't sustain that or they don't last long. From what I have seen and from my research, they have stayed very stable and grown into many segments. They've always stayed stable. They have never gone away. So, they're a very solid provider.

Subbu Madhira - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at OmniNet Systems
    Quick to set up with good blocking for portable storage devices and excellent documentation
    • "If you're looking at an enterprise with centralized control, you can actually push the policies to all your clients' endpoints easily across VPNs."
    • "We need more updates as there are always more threats coming."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to protect our endpoints.

What is most valuable?

It's light on the endpoints and it complies with the latest European GDPR, the global data protection laws. The best part is it never slows down the endpoint. Most of the other antivirus engines, they're very heavy on the endpoints, so they consume a lot of memory.

It's got better blocking for portable storage devices and a better engine for ransomware.

It's got a built-in VPN, in case you are doing any banking or online transactions. If you're looking at an enterprise with centralized control, you can actually push the policies to all your clients' endpoints easily across VPNs.

The main thing I like about it is it's got all the features I need.

The resolution runs in the background while offering very good protection and good reporting with a lot of good controls.

It works on virtual machines too.

The solution scales well.

It has a very quick, very simple initial setup process.

There is a lot of very helpful documentation available.

What needs improvement?

We need more updates as there are always more threats coming.

The product is highly scalable. It expands very easily.

My largest client is about 1000 users. Most of our clients have an average number of endpoints ranging between 250 to 350.

Technical support is pretty good. They respond. You also have a lot of self-paced documents available, which means you can actually fix problems yourself. In the event it's very complicated, you can reach out to them. They have a call center and you can always raise a ticket on that.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

Probably ten years ago, I was using Trend Micro. In between, I tried Kaspersky, and then I switched over to BitDefender

I like their implementation. All we need to do is just install the VM and everything is built-in, so it takes care of the implementation. You don't have to go for multiple installations. I never faced any problem. It's very fast. We handled about 500 users and we implemented it in just under two hours.

You only need one person to handle the deployment process.

The solution offers yearly subscriptions.

They gave me the option for a yearly renewal or three-year renewals, and three years works out to be very, very economical. Their updates come out three or four times a week for the main server. The updates install automatically so that you are always up to date.

We keep changing, we keep evaluating. As a system integrator, my job is to evaluate all the products, as that's what makes us more comfortable selling to our end users.

What other advice do I have?

We have used both cloud and on-premises deployments.

I would rate the product a nine out of ten.

Managed Detection and Response (MDR)
    July 2022
    621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    CEO at a manufacturing company with 11-50 employees
    Extremely effective against malware, absolutely scalable, and very easy to deploy
    • "We find it extremely effective. We probably have over 500 endpoints, and we have not had any reports of viruses since we have installed it. It is very reliable."
    • "They can improve their support a little bit. We've had some issues with some of the installations in terms of getting the installation, configuration, and flows correct, and sometimes, their support is not as simple and easy to deal with as we'd like."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as an anti-malware solution for our clients. We have it on all the clients.

We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

We find it extremely effective. We probably have over 500 endpoints, and we have not had any reports of viruses since we have installed it. It is very reliable.

What needs improvement?

They can improve their support a little bit. We've had some issues with some of the installations in terms of getting the installation, configuration, and flows correct, and sometimes, their support is not as simple and easy to deal with as we'd like.

We have been using Bitdefender for three years or so.

We're using it for prevention from malware, and it is very effective and reliable.

It is absolutely scalable.

Their support can be improved a little bit. Sometimes, their support is not as simple and easy to deal with as we'd like.

Generally, its deployment is very straightforward and easy. You set up a policy, and you deploy it.

For one of the release upgrades, there were some issues, and they could have been communicated better. We're still working through some of the issues with that. These issues were on the server-side. For the majority of the endpoints, there was no problem at all.

It varies based on the number of licenses.

What other advice do I have?

It is rated as the number one solution.

I would rate Bitdefender MDR a nine out of 10.

Download our free Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Bitdefender, Sophos, Arctic Wolf Networks, and more!
    Updated: July 2022