Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

VMware SRM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware SRM is #8 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give VMware SRM an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. VMware SRM is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: VMware SRM vs Veeam Backup & Replication. VMware SRM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
VMware SRM Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware SRM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is VMware SRM?

VMware SRM (Site Recovery Manager) is a business continuity and disaster recovery solution that is part of the vSphere virtualization suite. It helps you plan, test, and run the recovery of virtual machines between a protected vCenter Server site and a recovery vCenter Server site. VMware SRM aims to minimize data loss and system downtime by letting you automate backups and orchestrate the recovery of entire VMware storage systems. VMware SRM is offered on-premises and on the AWS cloud.

VMware SRM is most commonly used for:

• Disaster recovery
  • Disaster avoidance
  • Data center migrations
  • Site-level load balancing
  • Maintenance testing for enterprise applications

As a disaster recovery tool, VMware SRM:

• Provides replication technology.
  • Supports policy-based management of backup programs.
  • Lets you run non-disruptive testing of disaster recovery plans.

VMware SRM Key Features

Some of VMware SRM’s key features include:
Good scalability and stability, fast and reliable recovery, automated orchestration workflows, automated recovery of network and security settings, non-disruptive recovery testing, orchestrated cross-vCenter vMotion, stretched storage support, and self-service provisioning.

VMware SRM Benefits

The main benefits of using VMware SRM include:

• Integration: VMware SRM integrates with other VMware technologies and architectures.

• Non-disruptive testing: VMware SRM allows you to conduct tests during business hours without disruptions.

• Reduced recovery time: By using automated orchestration workflows, VMware SRM helps to decrease recovery time to just minutes.

• Automated failback: With automated failback, you can resume business operations as normal very quickly.

• Extensibility for custom automation: With VMware SRM, you can use the Orchestrator plug-in to build custom automation workflows.

• Automated network mappings: You can automatically map network settings across the two sites when creating a recovery plan.

• Eliminate the need to re-configure IP addresses: With VMware SRM’s automated recovery of network and security settings, it is not necessary to e-configure IP addresses on recovered VMs via integration with NSX. Configurations are also reduced post-recovery by implementing security policies.

• Centralized recovery plans: VMware SRM’s centralized recovery plans help you protect thousands of VM’s and also make it possible to eliminate manual runbooks.

• Protect investments: With supported replication, VMware SRM helps protect investments and tailor RPOs.

• Lower TCO: By using VMware SRM, you can lower your TCO and incur lower expenses for disaster recovery.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are reviews from PeerSpot users who are currently using the solution:

PeerSpot user Eslam E., Senior Solution Architect at ICT Misr, explains his experience using the solution and says that "VMware SRM is very effective between two sites with identical twin storage, you can have synchronization between the two sites."

A founder at a comms service provider commented on the solution's efficiency, noting, "If you want to do failover, it works without any problem."

Reviewer Rakesh-P., who is a consultant at Ashtech Infotech (India) Pvt.Ltd., mentions why he finds VMware SRM to be a good product, commenting that “The most valuable feature is disaster recovery testing. The reports are very good.”

Ahmed F., a consultant at Daniyals Inc, says that the solution doesn’t require a lot of resources and that "The UI is very user-friendly and testing is easy."

VMware SRM was previously known as VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager.

VMware SRM Customers

Acorda Therapeutics, Columbia Sportswear, Mainfreight, Nippon Express, Sin Chew Media, Fisher & Paykel, Siam City Bank

VMware SRM Video

VMware SRM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware SRM pricing:
  • "It is about $3,000 a year for the 25 pack. The package gives you the ability to protect up to 25 virtual machines."
  • "The cost of SRM is on par with market rates."
  • "The licensing costs are increasing."
  • "The price of VMware SRM depends on how many VMs the customer has to move. There is a difference between the standard and enterprise license. I'm presenting the standard license to my customers because the total of VMs is not more than 50. The customer needs only the standard license and the cost is very effective for him."
  • VMware SRM Reviews

OmidKoushki - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect at KIAN company
    Good replication and integration capabilities with a straightforward setup
    • "The solution is very flexible."
    • "The biggest issue for us is that this product does not have any demo for customers."

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented SRM to replicate around the 800 virtual machines to the data recovery files. Due to the fact that we implemented to data centers as well as the primary and secondary data center, we use SRM to replicate around most of the virtual machines in order to be the secondary site.

How has it helped my organization?

If you can plan and create a recovery plan correctly, it will do and replicate virtual machines and when a disaster occurs, you can easily replicate off the secondary site. If you create a proper primary recovery plan, you have good protection.

What is most valuable?

The most important features that we're using are the replication of VMs as well as the integration with the EMC recovery platform. The replication solutions to replicate the LAN and data storage to the secondary external storage.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had an issue with the performance.

The solution is very flexible.

What needs improvement?

VMware introduced the two next versions of the solution. They are SRM 6.5 and 6.7. I don't have any experience with these two products. However, if I was to talk about version 6, which we are using, at that time we faced a problem specifically when we create recovery plans. After the creation of the recovery plan, sometimes an issue happened in the GUI, in the Center. I'm not sure if that has since been resolved.

We've faced issues with the licensing. If you don't choose a specific license, you can only cover around five or ten virtual machines.

The biggest issue for us is that this product does not have any demo for customers. They should offer demos so that clients can try it out before they commit to buying a license.

VMware SRM
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about VMware SRM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

At this point, I have been using the solution for about two or three years.

The stability of the solution is very good. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable.

In terms of scalability, you can integrate the POC and you can distribute SRM on three sites. At our project, we use VPLEX architecture to distribute storage between two data centers and therefore we could publish an important file related to SRM virtual machines and the active LANs, which is distributed between two data centers. In terms of scalability and holding of data storage, we can put a doc online whenever we need to.

Our team has around six members for virtual support and maintenance of the VMware infrastructure. In terms of the customers that are related to using the VMware services, there are around 800 people.

Due to the sanctions in my country, in Iran, we can not use direct support from VMware and there is not a partner in my country. Therefore, we need to study, we need to design, we need to support everything directly and focus on providing maintenance service to our customers ourselves.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not too complex.

Deployments can typically take two months.

In the first month, I dedicate focus on learning and conducting POC sessions. For around two or three weeks, I also spend some time implementing SRM at the site.

I am responsible directly for installations.

I work with a specific team that includes three members. I'm responsible as a team lead and VMware engineer. I have two other team members, one member has a specific focus on its storage concept and another is working on the networking.

We are always looking for solutions that are more affordable. SRM is more expensive than, for example, VirtualBox.

I have looked into Zerto. I attended a seminar two years ago. If we ever moved off of this solution, we may switch to that. It is quite affordable and is very hands-on. It may even be easier in terms of deployment. They are very similar solutions overall.

What other advice do I have?

We are using two product versions. We are using product versions 6.0 and 6.5.

We need to use only on-premises deployment models. This due to the fact that there are sanctions in my country. We cannot use the cloud services directly as there is no support.

For customers who are using VMware infrastructure, I recommend using VMware SRM due to the fact that it has the ability to integrate with other products like HP, SRA, or even CSRA. It has good features that integrate well with a storage concept.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Wladimir Furtado - PeerSpot reviewer
    Advisor on IT Governance and Projects / Advisor on IT Governance and Projects at Tribunal de Contas do Estado do Ceará (TCE-CE)
    Reliable with good disaster recovery and a generally good design
    • "It's very reliable. The solution is stable."
    • "The back sites sometimes are very, very complicated."

What is our primary use case?

In this scenario of disaster recovery, we start simply with our VMs. We have just two packs of 25 VMs. We just protect just about 15 VMs.

How has it helped my organization?

Thanks to SRM, we haven't had any kind of disaster in our environment.

What is most valuable?

The disaster recovery has been good.

In the case of a disaster, the product is very simple. We have security and lower downtime.

It's very reliable. The solution is stable.

Its design is good and it does what it is intended to do.

What needs improvement?

We are limited to 50 VMs.

The main limitation is the fact we can just activate the product in a disaster scenario. Sometimes we need to activate some VMs in the backup or disaster recovery sites, even if our main site is okay. However, in our current environment, we cannot do this due to the limitations of SRM.

The back sites sometimes are very, very complicated. It is the nature of the product. Sometimes we use vMotion to achieve this kind of objective.

We've used the solution for four years.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The soluton is scalable. We are doing preparing our environment to be active site-to-site - both the production site and secondary site.

We have 900 people in total on the solution.

We're in the process of changing things now.

Technical support is good. We've been very pleased with the responsiveness and helpfulness.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We've only used SRM. We did not use anything previously.

More or less, due to the product itself, it's relatively easy to set up. However, in our environment, we have a VM, and that VM application is very complicated. Sometimes we have some issues in running this application on the backup site. This is not due to this SRM. Rather, it is due to our environment.

The deployment took about two years.

We have a team of four people that can handle deployment and maintenance duties. They are all specialists.

Sometimes we talk to the local reseller of VM products. We also consult with the vendor of the hardware product. In Brazil, for the government, we have a procurement process. It is not personal. We can just publish our request for a quotation. Any local reseller or national reseller can offer their services.

We've never calculated ROI.

We pay 400,000 Brazilian Reals for the license. There are no other fees associated with the product.

Most of our VMs are VMware. However, we are changing some VM products, and maybe we will use something else. We are just evaluating at this time. We haven't really seriously evaluated anything. We just update our existing license to support and update.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer.

I'm not sure which version of the product we're using. However, we are updating right now, in the next month.

Right now, our environment is on-prem. We want to install the hyper-converged to start moving to the cloud.

I'd advise others to maintain the solution and keep it up to date.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

VMware SRM
    September 2022
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Operations Engineer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Disaster recovery that works quickly, is stable, and has excellent technical support
    • "The installation and initial setup are straightforward."
    • "VMware's tech support gets a nine-out-of-ten. They are responsive and get you a useful reply."
    • "The stability of SRM has been excellent. It gets a nine-out-of-ten."
    • "The version we are currently using is not the latest and greatest but it has buggy behavior in some browsers."

What is our primary use case?

VMware SRM is used for our disaster recovery site, which is an on-premises colo (Colocation) facility. The general use case is for disaster recovery for three of our applications those being imaging, payroll, and real estate.

What is most valuable?

I would say SRM's ability to recover my virtual machines in a timely manner and to perform bi-annual testing are the two things it has provided that are really valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would say VMware has room for improvement with this product. I am sure it is probably better in their 7.0 version, but there are still some bugs in the 6.O version that relates to using it with different browsers. I think a lot of what I run into is related to the 6.0 version. I believe a lot of those bugs have been fixed in the UI once you upgrade to 7.0.

We have been using the VMware SRM solution for about six years.

The stability of SRM has been excellent. I would give it a nine-out-of-ten. It is a pretty solid solution.

I believe it would probably scale just fine. I only protect 25 VMs based on our licensing and I do it that way even though I actually have about 200 virtual servers. I can not really say I have done a lot to test scalability. In the six years that I have been dealing with SRM, I have just been protecting those 25 VMs. I do not have hands-on experience as to how well it would scale out.

I have dealt with the technical support at times in the last year. I would give VMware's tech support a nine-out-of-ten. They are responsive and get you a useful reply.

Disaster recovery was completely done with physical servers prior to when we started using VMware. When we went to VMware, we started using SRM. So the first time we went with the virtual environment we deployed SRM. We just went straight with SRM just because it is a VMware product. It was already well-integrated and did what we needed it to do.

The installation and initial setup were pretty straightforward. The deployment, overall, was pretty straightforward. There was a little implementation structure we had to factor in related to my storage array. But besides that, it was pretty straightforward and easy enough all the way around.

I pay for SRM per year. It is about $3,000 a year for the 25 pack. The package gives you the ability to protect up to 25 virtual machines.

What other advice do I have?

From what I have seen, a lot of these new hyper-converged systems come with certain components that do a lot of what SRM does. My opinion and advice to people considering SRM would be to look to your hardware vendor or consultant. They may have some replication pieces in there that allow you to possibly not use SRM or go ahead and stay with what you already have. Depending on your situation, different combinations might prove more beneficial either within the architecture or by cost-benefit. There are a lot of options out there now for disc replication and bringing machines up at other locations.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the SRM as about an eight-out-of-ten.

Toby Sloan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director Of Service Delivery at Kinetic IT
    A good solution for those with a VMware footprint
    • "This SRM solution can improve your footprint within a data center."
    • "The product functionality is fairly high-quality."
    • "This product is not appropriate for those moving to a broader cloud footprint."
    • "The technical support is not very good and needs to make an effort to improve."

What is our primary use case?

We vetted out that data center a number of years ago. We were told SRM would improve our footprint within the data center and that was attractive to us at the time so we went with it.

We are using VMware SRM but we are also currently looking into alternatives that could replicate the benefits that SRM currently provides for our on-premises installation. Once we are in the cloud, we are looking at whether or not we need dual availability zones. We also are looking at what functionality we could get from not having to change RPs (Recovery Point) as we do now with SRM.

What is most valuable?

I would not be able to tell you the features and benefits that are best for the Engineering Teams. That would be more a question for my Engineering Manager and those guys. I am in service delivery and I am familiar with the product but not with hands-on use.

What needs improvement?

The decision to move to another product is a matter of room for improvement around functionality and requirements that we had with AWS and moving to the cloud. We are not going to be procuring any more licensing for SRM when we make the move to the cloud. We were looking at a cloud-native solution in order to provide the same functionality as the SRM provides but in the cloud. That is just a matter of the changing environment.

If the functionality of SRM could be replicated in the cloud, that would be the improvement we are looking for in the product.

I have been using SRM (Site Recovery Manager) for probably six years.

I have contacted technical support multiple times. I would not say that I am satisfied. They are not very good and need to make an effort to improve.

The initial setup and installation were pretty straightforward. It was ten plus years ago so I do not remember the exact details, but I do not remember it being difficult at all.

The cost of SRM is on par with market rates. So I think the costs for this product are fine.

What other advice do I have?

I personally will not continue using the VMware SRM solution. That is not a question of what is best. Our position moving forward is that we will not be having a footprint in the VMware space. If someone had the ability to focus on lots of things with using VMware in the cloud then there no issues at all with the product and this is a good solution for that purpose. The product functionality is fairly high-quality. Our decision is more based around the direction that we are taking. We will be cloud-based and we will be using AWS predominantly as our cloud-provider solution.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this solution overall as an eight-out-of-ten. It would not be closer to a ten because there is still some work that we need to carry out with regular maintenance and then there are the increasing license costs. An eight seems about right.

ESLAM ELSAYAAD - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Solution Architect at ICT Misr
    Effective disaster recovery, two site synchronization, and cost effective
    • "VMware SRM is very effective between two sites with identical twin storage, you can have synchronization between the two sites."
    • "We have had an issue when some customers have traditional designs and sites. For example, on one another site, they are using hyper-converged, using VMware, or Nutanix. We have a problem with the synchronization between the storage for site to site. This is the main issue. We are adding some other tools to support the synchronization to allow the movement of the workload from site to site easily."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to serve our customers in different sectors.

We are using VMware SRM as a disaster recovery solution for our customers. We are working with vSphere, vSAN, and other infrastructure VMware solutions. VMware SRM is completing the solution.

What is most valuable?

VMware SRM is very effective between two sites with identical twin storage, you can have synchronization between the two sites.

What needs improvement?

Not all customers have VMware in all workloads. Some customers have a difference, VMware environments, such as Red Hat or Nutanix. VMware SRM is very effective for VMware customers. However, when you have other workflows with other vendors, you can not always use this solution.

I have been using VMware SRM for approximately 12 years.

VMware SRM we mainly use for our mid-size business customers. For small business-sized customers, we have different solutions we can deliver, such as Veeam. If they are a small customer that does not have a professional DR site we have a variety of solutions we can deliver depending on the customer's needs.

Enterprise businesses have many VM and the amount depends on the design of the data centers, which storage is being used, or is it hyper-converged or converged. We are choosing the best solution depending on the customer's need.

When comparing the difference between VMware SRM and Dell EMC RecoverPoint there are many differences between them both. VMware SRM is an automated tool for disaster recovery, RecoverPoint can do a similar job but it has better protection more than an automated tool for moving VMs.

With our customers, we are delivering both solutions, Recovery Point and SRM, because they already had the Dell EMC storage and owned Dell Recovery Point, we only added the VMware SRM tool for moving the VMs and storing them from site to site, as an automated tool.

Dell RecoverPoint has the edge over VMware SRM in one area because they can work with other vendors, not only Dell EMC. Some customers have workloads on the cloud, Dell RecoverPoint is very effective for them.

I have used Veeam and other solutions.

The price of VMware SRM depends on how many VMs the customer has to move. There is a difference between the standard and enterprise license. I'm presenting the standard license to my customers because the total of VMs is not more than 50. The customer needs only the standard license and the cost is very effective for him.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware SRM an eight out of ten.

Consultant at Daniyals Inc
    Effective automation, easy to use, but stability needs improvement
    • "The solution is simple to use and has effective automation."
    • "There needs to be better stability during heavy capacity in future releases."

What is our primary use case?

I use VMware SRM for DR testing and VR.

What is most valuable?

The solution is simple to use and has effective automation.

What needs improvement?

VMware SRM does not have the capacity to do DR tests. We had issues whenever we were doing tests with the root cause analysis. We had 70 to 80 percent successful results because the vCenters were overloaded and that was the reason that we were having capacity issues.

We have been experiencing an additional problem when adding a regular VM in the replicated storage. By default, it will show an error. However, there is not any monitoring mechanism that would show you are not supposed to have a regular VM which is non-VR in the replicated SRM storage. Whenever we used to do testing we had to figure out that a regular VM is there and remove it manually.

I have been using this solution for approximately seven years.

The stability should be smooth, and as for the capacity, we should be able to run the test successfully. However, from our research and DR test results, we came to the conclusion that we have to run the DR test during the non-production hours. Logically, they should be able to be done during the production hours, but that is not the case. We have to ensure that the vCenters are free and are not doing regular work for us not to have any issues during the DR test.

There needs to be better stability during heavy capacity in future releases.

The solution is easy to scale.

The solution is used extensively in our large organization.

When we first started out using this solution we encountered a few issues and used the support but we now know how to fix most of the issues and have not used them. Additionally, we have our own team for support.

The installation is logically simple and in the medium range of difficulty. However, you need to make sure you have the proper infrastructure.

I have evaluated Veritas and Zerto.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others looking into implementing VMware SRM not to totally be dependent upon it. Review other solutions, such as Veritas regulatory platform and Zerto. There are newer VM DR options coming out regularly and they should not have only one solution.

I rate VMware SRM a six out of ten.

Founder at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    Quick to deploy, stable, and works without issues
    • "If you want to do failover, it works without any problem."
    • "Sometimes it can cause a bit of downtime during switchovers."

What is our primary use case?

SRM is implemented as part of VMware.

We use it for failover between geographical locations from one location to another location. Sometimes for maintenance purposes, we can failover services to another location so that we can maintain the technology at another location.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well. If you want to do failover, it works without any problem.

The product is stable.

The deployment process is fast.

What needs improvement?

The challenge it has is with the speed of failing over. Sometimes it can cause a bit of downtime during switchovers. Sometimes you realize that when you are failing over you can have downtime due to the fact that you're stepping down on one side and powering up on another side.

We've used the solution since 2012. It's been almost ten years.

The stability is great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is just a function. Whether you can scale or not depends on your resources. It depends on your bandwidth. The scalability will depend on the infrastructure it is using.

We have three people who work with the solution directly.

The deployment doesn't take long. It also takes just a couple of hours as long as you have prepared and long as you have a design.

For the implementation process, we needed three people, however, for implementation, we need a trained engineer. Just one engineer is fine.

If you have trained people who are certified, you can do it yourself. The most important thing is to make sure that it is done by a trained engineer.

We do have to pay a licensing fee in order to use the solution. We have an annual subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I don't remember the version of SRM that we're using now.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

Tirut Hawoldar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager IT Security & Infrastructure at Currimjee Jeewanjee & Co. Ltd.
    Easy to set up with knowledgable support and good reliability
    • "The solution is scalable."
    • "Technical support can take some time to respond."

What is our primary use case?

It was working very well with VMware since it's a VMware product. We didn't have any issues. It was quite smooth when doing drills, when we were trying to recover VMs from other sites.

What is most valuable?

There's an option where you can test VM, when you can test the drill. That option was very valuable.

It's easy to set up.

The solution is scalable.

It is stable.

What needs improvement?

Technical support can take some time to respond. We'd like a faster response.

In the previous year, we were using SRM, and then we shifted to another software called CR2. We're replacing SRM. However, we used SRM for a few years. It's been about four years.

The solution is stable. Its performance is reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The product can scale well. It's not an issue.

We have three or four people on the solution right now.  They are mostly infrastructure engineers.

We don't have plans to increase usage.

Support is good, although we would like them to be faster.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We had a simple vertical setup. We have VMware engineers at our disposal, and their expertise made it easy.

The deployment took one to two days. It was not complicated. We only needed one or two people to handle the deployment and maintenance tasks. They are engineers and junior staff.

We pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We have some nodes which are still running VMware. We currently do have some nodes still running VMware like ESXi 7.0, however, not for production. It's right for testing purposes.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution as it is very stable and does the job.

Download our free VMware SRM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022