IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

VMware Identity Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Identity Manager is #9 ranked solution in top Identity and Access Management as a Service providers. PeerSpot users give VMware Identity Manager an average rating of 10 out of 10. VMware Identity Manager is most commonly compared to CyberArk Privileged Access Manager: VMware Identity Manager vs CyberArk Privileged Access Manager. VMware Identity Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
VMware Identity Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Identity Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is VMware Identity Manager?
VMware Identity Manager is an Identity as a Service (IDaaS) offering, providing application provisioning, self-service catalog, conditional access controls and Single Sign-On (SSO) for SaaS, web, cloud and native mobile applications. It simplifies business mobility with one touch from any device, empowers employees with a self-service app store, optimizes user experience & security with AirWatch and was designed for the mobile cloud world for AirWatch enrolled devices providing a seamless consumer-grade user experience.
VMware Identity Manager Customers
Seventy Seven Energy, The Hut Group, SAIC
VMware Identity Manager Video

VMware Identity Manager Reviews

System Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Great integration and end user experience
  • "One of the features that I enjoyed most was the integration with Azure AD because I could use VMware Identity Manager to standardize the User Principal Name coming from Active Directory. You have Azure AD Connect to do that. In between, if you have vIDM handling it, you can easily get the synchronization of users into your VM and standardize the User Principal Name. If you require quality assurance for handling it, you can actually count on the vIDM to do so. That was one of the main things I enjoyed about the product."
  • "vIDM could be improved with the multi-tenant capabilities that VMware tends to offer—features like customization branding and the integration of the app catalog based on the branding. Since the integration has been at top-level OGs, you were not able to then do rebranding if you were required to use specific user groups to highlight specific applications. At the time, I was personally opening feature requests for these things. I haven't worked with the latest release, so I don't know if these features were already deployed or not."

What is our primary use case?

At the time, our primary use case was for the purpose of having single authentication around endpoints. Every single endpoint was managed by Workspace ONE: iOS, Android devices, and Windows standard devices. We were provisioning payloads. We had a trust relationship between Workspace ONE and the vIDM console, and we were handling certificates around those, to provide seamless certification. In the end, a user with specific applications wouldn't be required to type in any username, password, etc.  vIDM was a SaaS-based solution, at the time, where you had the vIDM connectors in case you were required to have LDAP Synchronization. It was completely on a dedicated cloud from VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the main benefits was end user experience. Imagine that your business apps on your mobile device, for instance, no longer require you to type in your username, password, or second factor of authentication—as long as you're handling a managed and trustworthy device, you can seamlessly log in to applications. In the past, I personally integrated it with applications like SAT and Salesforce. As long as the application offered integration, we could easily do this.

What is most valuable?

One of the features that I enjoyed most was the integration with Azure AD because I could use VMware Identity Manager to standardize the User Principal Name coming from Active Directory. You have Azure AD Connect to do that. In between, if you have vIDM handling it, you can easily get the synchronization of users into your VM and standardize the User Principal Name. If you require quality assurance for handling it, you can actually count on the vIDM to do so. That was one of the main things I enjoyed about the product.

What needs improvement?

vIDM could be improved with the multi-tenant capabilities that VMware tends to offer—features like customization branding and the integration of the app catalog based on the branding. Since the integration has been at top-level OGs, you were not able to then do rebranding if you were required to use specific user groups to highlight specific applications. At the time, I was personally opening feature requests for these things. I haven't worked with the latest release, so I don't know if these features were already deployed or not.
VMware Identity Manager
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about VMware Identity Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I used vIDM for about four years, though the last time I worked with it was about a year ago.

I can't recall having any problems with stability or performance.  The maintenance, regarding the core system, was provided by VMware directly. For the connectors hosted on our on-prem infrastructure, maintenance was handled by the team responsible for the product.

It's easy to scale, since it's in the cloud. We never had to worry about scalability.  At the time, there were about 120,000 people in the company using this solution.

VMware has the standard support, and then they have enterprise support or special contracts for enterprise support with dedicated teams. We never had to deal with the default, but nonetheless, there will always be glitches around tech support. We were quite knowledgeable about the products, so if we actually raised a ticket, it was because something was definitely not working and there was a bug on the product itself. It was mostly the case that it would be dropped at the product management team directly.

The deployment was complex, considering the infrastructure. Our organization has more than 400,000 users, so the complexity of the in-house infrastructure is quite high, which implies some complexity during the deployment process as well. You need to interact with several teams regarding identity management or identity access management. On a small-sized company, it may be quite straightforward.  We first collected the requirements, which was straightforward. Then—this will depend on the size of the organization—we had five or six people around the required services. They came from Active Directory, the main identity provider, the application owners for service provider integration, and it took them a few days.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

I rate vIDM a nine out of ten. During the time I worked with it, it was a really nice product, and it was straightforward and reliable.

Private Cloud

Other
Esteban Echarri - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultor EMM at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, easy to set up, and works best with Workspace ONE
  • "Its value is when you use it with a Workspace ONE UEM solution as it is part of the ecosystem for VMware Workspace ONE."
  • "The license could be better."

What is our primary use case?

It's a SIEM solution. It's a solution used to manage the identity of the users. It also makes a federation for the data applications and gives access to the users, and provisions the users in other applications, including SaaS applications (for example, Microsoft 365, SoundDesk, or Salesforce).

We use it to provide the users a smooth authentication to the applications with, for example, mobile, or a log in with a certificate from the Windows machines.

How has it helped my organization?

Our users have a lot of cloud applications. To manage those, you have to manage all these passwords and users' names and provide access to a lot of services. Potentially, the users could forget their user names and passwords and everything like that. We provide smooth access with mobile SSO to these solutions with one click. The user just opens the catalog applications in the device, and those devices could be, for example, iOS or Android or Windows or macOS or Chrome OS, et cetera. They open the catalog and with just one click on they have access. They don't need separate passwords, user names, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

Technically speaking, it's a very good product.

The setup of the product is not complex.

What needs improvement?

The license could be better. You can't simply license access to services for devices - you have to license the product to users. The problem with that is some companies don't have licenses for the whole user catalog and just offer licenses for the devices themselves, meaning they aren't directly attached to a user. That's the main problem of Identity Manager.

In terms of stability, the performance in the SaaS environment is pretty good. The problem is, with the on-premises version, there can be hardware problems. That said, it depends on the machines that the customer use. Usually, the service is fast and you don't have any problem with the performance. It uses sometimes a lot of resources though.

It's not easy to scale it if you have a setup on-premises as it's necessary to build a cluster, and clusters are not easy to build. However, in the SaaS environment, there is no problem, it's very scalable.

Our company is a small company. We are 200 people. However, I have a lot of customers and a lot of Identity Managers deployed; there are maybe millions of people.

Technical support is not bad, however, they are not as good as it could be.

We are currently migrating to Okta, a different product.

Most clients did not previously use a different solution. Identity Manager was their first.

The initial setup of the product is very simple and quite straightforward.

The deployment process does not require a big team. For a big company with, for example, 10,000 users or more, you can manage it with three or four people. It's enough. The amount of time it takes can range from a few days to a few weeks depending on the size of the project. It's usually less than a month.

If it's an on-premises deployment, you do have a bit of maintenance, however, if you have a SaaS deployment, there is no maintenance required. With on-premises, you just make some changes or add new applications or new users, and that is quite simple. The problems come when you need to upgrade versions if you have the solution on-premise.

In terms of pricing, it's reasonable if you have the Workspace ONE solution. If you don't have the full solution, it's quite expensive.

There are no extra costs beyond the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with this product.

We use both Software as a Service and also on-premises deployment models. That said, the on-premises version is not exactly the same as the SaaS one.

I would recommend people to use it only if they have Workspace ONE, Workspace ONE UEM, the Unified Endpoint Management.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

VMware Identity Manager
June 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CEO at Aerion Solutions Oy
Can be tailor-made to suit your needs; Zero Trust is a key feature
  • "Zero Trust implementation is a great feature."
  • "The mobile SSO doesn't work as well on Android."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case of this solution is for the Zero Trust feature; when anyone from the company logs in, the authentication goes through VMware Access and checks that only devices owned by our company can access all their source and on-premise applications. I'm CEO of the company.

What is most valuable?

We use the solution in conjunction with Okta and that is perfect because it enables us to set it up and get the best out of the Zero Trust implementation. Both the identity MSA as well as the device are checked at the same time.

What needs improvement?

Using the solution on Android requires a special setup, the mobile SSO doesn't work as well. It would be easier if it was integrated and we could do it similarly to the iOS SSO setup.

Our users access the solution every day and we haven't had a single stability issue in the past 12 months. It just works. We have one person working part-time on maintenance which is usually when we have changes to our applications, otherwise, it just runs in the background. Because it's a SaaS service all the upgrades are done automatically in the cloud.

We've done 10,000 implementations globally and we have 250 users in the company. The advantage of it being a SaaS application means that even small companies, say 10 or 20 people, can use it. There's no financial hindrance to doing that.

They have a very knowledgeable guy, who's worked on the development side and provides us with good service. With some of the bigger US software companies, getting through the first level of support can be tedious.

The initial setup is pretty simple. We deployed internally, we have really good senior consultants who carry out the installations for us and for our customers. Deployment takes a maximum of two days.

The solution is licensed per user. It's part of their advanced package, and it comes together with the MDM part. Depending on your needs, the license can be $40, $60, or $100 per year. It's an SaaS subscription.

VMware bought AirWatch mobile management and married Identity Manager with MDM. When VMware and Okta started working together for Adobe, they needed to make it work successfully. When we got the results, it was a no-brainer for us.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to look at the bigger picture to get the full benefit of the product. It can be tailor-made to suit your needs. Some countries might not be able to access it or they might find that there's an extra MFA. MDM or Identity Manager separately are not enough. You need both, as well as Okta to get the full story, so to speak. They work closely with VMware so that the pieces all work together with their product. It's perfect for our customers and our company. The important thing is that it's developing all the time and they are constantly working on it, so if it's good now, it will be good in two years as well.

I rate the solution nine out of 10.

Download our free VMware Identity Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022