We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
IT Services Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Leader in the industry, a lot of value for the money
  • "The technical support is excellent. It's one of the best I've met so far."
  • "The product could be improved if they wrote more PowerShell scripts for controlling Veeam."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is for doing backup for virtual machines, only for VMware virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the backup, replication application, and the virtual lab.

What needs improvement?

There are some PowerShell scripts for Veeam, but the product could be improved if they wrote more PowerShell scripts for controlling Veeam.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is very stable, compared to other products. It's very stable and reliable.

Veeam is very scalable; it's suitable for all sizes of companies.

The technical support is excellent. It's one of the best I've met so far.

The initial setup was very simple. Deployment takes one day.

I did the setup myself. We are a system integrator company and we do implementation of Veeam for customers. We have a great experience with Veeam, so it was not a problem for us.

Licensing is very straightforward. Pricing is not the cheapest, but you get a lot of value for your money.

The main difference when comparing this solution to competitors is that Veeam is a company which has a single product, Veeam Backup Replication. Other companies have many products and Veeam can focus on a single product; this is their main advantage. They are pioneers in their domain. They are the leaders.

What other advice do I have?

If you buy Veeam, you have to buy maintenance; if you don't buy maintenance, you cannot do updates, but it's recommended to have maintenance.

If you want to have a small and cheap system, that is not Veeam; but if you want performance, reliability, support, then this solution is best for that.

If you are looking into implementing Veeam Backup, you have to first do anassessment, then make a good plan, and do a pilot to check all the features and to compare the features with your expectations.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Ali Mansouri
    Network System Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Strong backup integrity, high backup and replication performance, and reliable
    • "I have found one of the most valuable features to be the integrity of the backups."
    • "think backing up from physical servers and ransomware security needs some improvements."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used for backing up data such as virtual machines, data servers, and applications.

How has it helped my organization?

We was concern about ransomware attack and with Veeam now we are protected. Thnaks Veeam

What is most valuable?

I have found one of the most valuable features to be the integrity of the backups. It does a great job at taking backups of physical servers and doing replications. The integration with their storage is done well.

What needs improvement?

I think backing up from physical servers and ransomware security needs some improvements. However, they have improved in the newer release by encrypting the backup server.

In upcoming releases, I do not want the UI to change, this is important for individuals using the solution. If there are many changes then they have to keep learning the UI over and over again making it difficult.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

In my experience, I have found the solution to be stable. You are able to scale out to repositories well. You can add all servers together as a bundle and use them as a scale-out repository.

The technical support is great. They have comprehensive FAQ information that can be searched for whatever your needs are.

I have used Veritas in the past and it does a better job at backing up servers.

Please, take a look at my Veeam Backup and Replication course

👉Get Full Veeam Backup Course Zero to Hero

The installation is simple, it takes less than 15 minutes.

This solution requires a license and the organizations I was involved in were using an enterprise license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using this solution to others.

I rate Veeam Backup Replication a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Director Cloud Backup and DRaaS at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Reasonably-priced and offers good support for virtualization, but it was not built for the cloud
    • "We have evaluated other solutions but Veeam is the best for virtualization."
    • "There is a lot of room for improvement, but the primary issue we have is that it's not built for the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed service provider and we run a cloud backup company. We provide cloud backup services for customers and our primary platform is Veeam.

What is most valuable?

The primary reason that we use Veeam is the market share.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of room for improvement, but the primary issue we have is that it's not built for the cloud. It wasn't designed for it but we're making it work.

We have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for 10 years.

There are bugs and other things that go wrong in almost any environment, although it's not that there's anything wrong with the product. That's just life in IT.

Scalability-wise, it is okay, although it could be better.

We use it internally, although it revolves around our clients.

Technical support is good and I would rate them a seven out of ten. The rating would improve if they were better at following up.

The initial setup is complex. Our is a very large project to run in the cloud.

We have our own Veeam certified engineers who deploy and maintain it.

We spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on Veeam each year, although it is not expensive for what we get.

The licensing is something that could be improved.

We have evaluated other solutions but Veeam is the best for virtualization.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Veeam is that it's a good product. We do not have an environment that is user-centric, where I can make specific suggestions otherwise.

We are currently using version 10 and plan to move to version 11 within the next two months.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    ResulBiberoglu
    Owner, Professional Services Manager at wguard
    Efficient backup, supports all vendors, and helpful documentation
    • "The most valuable features of Veeam Backup Replication are efficient backup and replication. Additionally, Veeam Backup Replication supports all products and vendors."
    • "The solution could improve by having more user-friendly dashboards."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam Backup Replication for data backup and replication.

We will upgrade to version 11 soon.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Veeam Backup Replication are efficient backup and replication. Additionally, Veeam Backup Replication supports all products and vendors.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more user-friendly dashboards.

I have been using Veeam Backup Replication for approximately six years.

Veeam Backup Replication is highly stable.

I had a customer that has been in operation for two years without any critical issues.

We do not have plans to increase usage at this time. We use the basic version at this time.

The scalability of the solution is good.

We have five people in my organization that use this solution and support 10 customers.

I am in Turkey and the support is very important for the customer but it should be improved.

We have used Commvault previously but the customers cannot use Commvault for backups and replication, it is not included on the Commvault backup software.

Veeam Backup Replication allows both features.

The initial setup of Veeam Backup Replication was straightforward. Step by step, we did not have any problems.

We have five people for maintenance of Veeam Backup Replication.

The price of Veeam Backup Replication has been increasing their price and my customers are asking why. They have CPU-based licenses and a Universal License, the prices should be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others that want to implement this solution to check the Veeam website for documentation and follow the information all step by step on how to install it. Everything is available in the documentation about implementation. If someone follows the documentation they will not have a problem with the implementation.

I rate Veeam Backup & Replication a nine out of ten.

João Carvalho
    TIO at Fundação de Serralves
    Reliable, easy to use, good support, and requires minimal maintenance
    • "It's very easy to work with and it's very reliable."
    • "I would like to see the Veeam cloud solution and Microsoft Office 365 included all in one platform."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to back up all of our applications and all of our data.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to work with and it's very reliable.

We haven't had any issues so far, and the backup and restore works very well.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the Veeam cloud solution and Microsoft Office 365 included all in one platform.

I have been working with Veeam Backup & Replication for five years.

We are working with the latest version.

We use this solution daily. It's very stable. We have not had any issues.

It's a scalable solution. We started out with a few issues, and after we purchased Office 365 it was easy to store and proceed with other backups.

This is a backup of the applications and data. We don't have any users who access it.

We contacted technical support one time only. They were able to solve the issue.

They were good.

Previously, we used a few different solutions. Before Veeam, we were using a solution from HP, and Symantec.

We decided to go with Veeam because we had a few issues that were not able to be resolved in time.

The initial setup was simple. When you compare it with other solutions it was simple.

This solution does not require a lot of maintenance. This component of the solution is very easy. We only need one person to maintain it.

The implementation was completed within the company.

This is not an expensive solution. It's on the cheaper side.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Manager, Cloud workload Migration & Onboarding Lead at Globe Telecom
    A straightforward solution that comes with good support and can be used as an alternative approach for migrating from on-premise to cloud or for disaster recovery
    • "It is a straightforward solution. There is no need for a dedicated technical person to do the backup and replication. Veeam is very straightforward when it comes to doing the replication."
    • "It needs to support more applications. In terms of supported applications, Oracle SQL and Office 365 are supported, but I am not sure if it supports Linux-based applications. That's why I'm looking for an alternative. I am currently testing Commvault. The advantage of Commvault is that a lot of applications are supported with it. I am not sure if CIFS is currently supported. It would be nice to have this feature in case it is not already supported"

What is our primary use case?

Our company is an integrator, and we are offering the Veeam solution for our existing clients and some prospective clients. We currently have 10 to 15 clients.

What is most valuable?

It is a straightforward solution. There is no need for a dedicated technical person to do the backup and replication. Veeam is very straightforward when it comes to doing the replication.

What needs improvement?

It needs to support more applications. In terms of supported applications, Oracle SQL and Office 365 are supported, but I am not sure if it supports Linux-based applications. That's why I'm looking for an alternative. I am currently testing Commvault. The advantage of Commvault is that a lot of applications are supported with it.

I am not sure if CIFS is currently supported. It would be nice to have this feature in case it is not already supported.

I have been using this solution for over a year now.

Veeam offers good support. After you get their product, they provide online support. You just need to raise a ticket, and then someone from global support will contact you. I'm okay with Veeam's support.

It is very straightforward. You just need to spin up the virtual machine and enter proxy, and then you can start the backup.

The deployment takes a couple of hours. It takes a maximum of two or three hours to deploy it for an enterprise. It is a really straightforward solution. To deploy it for an enterprise, you need at least two to three resources.

What other advice do I have?

This solution could be used as an alternative approach for migration from on-premise to cloud or for disaster recovery. If you have two data centers and you need to replicate the primary virtual machines to another site, this can be an option.

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Veeam Backup & Replication a nine out of ten.

Amgad Soliman
    Senior System & Security Administrator at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
    It's stable, and the restoration is easy and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Veeam as a backup system, so for backup operations. Every company needs to have backups and restoration, and cannot live without it. We have ransomware, system failure, and a lot of problems facing us, so we need backups for the emailing systems, database, Hypervisor, and VMs.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of Veeam is that the restoration is easy and reliable.

What needs improvement?

The ease of use could be improved, but I don't have a very deep amount of experience in Veeam, so it's difficult to say what could be improved.

I have been using Veeam for a couple of years.

This solution is stable, and…

What needs improvement?

I have been using Veeam for a couple of years.

This solution is stable, and the restoration of Veeam is easy and reliable.

A partner or mine has contacted technical support many times. He was very satisfied and recommended their support team.

I have also tried Veritas Backup Exec, which is more difficult to use.

It takes about two hours to install and implement this solution and to start backing up data. The operation of backups depends on the customer's data, so the timeframe will depend based on that data.

For deployment and maintenance, we have one person for administration and restoration and the IT manager for managing the system.

In my organization, users use it centralized, and it works for the servers and operates silently. No one can pause or refuse the backup operation. We implemented it like this for all customers, so that it backs up to the server and works without user involvement.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

We pay for a license to use this solution, and we recommend that our customers pay for a license and a renewal license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Veeam Backup a nine out of ten, and I would recommend it to others.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    User-friendly interface, easy to deploy and use, support for virtualized environments
    • "The main feature for Veeam is that it's built primarily for virtualization, such as VMware or Hyper-V."
    • "I would like to see more broad support for other applications such as databases, or other operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and we implement backup software solutions for our customers. Veeam is one of the products that we provide.

What is most valuable?

The main feature for Veeam is that it's built primarily for virtualization, such as VMware or Hyper-V.

The interface is user-friendly. It's easy to deploy and easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more broad support for other applications such as databases, or other operating systems. Veeam is currently developing some of these features but they are not as mature as those found on backup products for physical servers. Essentially, integration with products from other vendors should be improved.

This product should be integrated with Kasten for Kubernetes backup. It would be helpful for backing up a container environment.

We have been working with Veeam Backup & Replication for between five and six years.

Stability has always been good with this solution.

Most of our customers do not have a large virtual environment. Veeam is capable of quickly scaling up or scaling out to meet the requirements of our customers.

The technical support from Veeam is quite helpful. They have a capable team.

We also use Commvault, Veritas, and IBM Spectrum Protect.

The IBM console is definitely more complex in terms of implementation and monitoring. The user interface for Veeam is better.

The support available is similar from all of the vendors. Most of the backup software and principles are quite similar and we can handle problems with the help of support.

There were no complications with the initial setup.

Several licensing schemes are available.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Veeam is to learn about the various licensing schemes. There are several available to choose from.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.