Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Pega BPM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Pega BPM is #2 ranked solution in BPM Software, #2 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms, #3 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools, and #3 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. PeerSpot users give Pega BPM an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Pega BPM is most commonly compared to Camunda Platform: Pega BPM vs Camunda Platform. Pega BPM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Pega BPM Buyer's Guide

Download the Pega BPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Pega BPM?

Pega BPM helps you simplify and automate your operations so that you can reduce costs and improve business agility. Pega's unique Build For Change technology delivers repeatable solutions that can be efficiently reused and tailored to meet the requirements of diverse customers, product lines, channels, and geographies.

Pega BPM was previously known as Pegasystems, SmartBPM.

Pega BPM Customers

The State of Maine, ANZ, Coca-Cola, Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA), ME, New South Wales, OptumRx, Texas Department of Transportation, UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement

Pega BPM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Pega BPM pricing:
  • "In terms of the pricing for Pega BPM, other solutions may be cheaper, but it doesn't matter if Pega BPM has a higher price tag because what's important is that it's the best solution, and that is what people look for. If I would rate the pricing for the solution, I'd give it three out of five. You have to pay extra for additional features in Pega BPM."
  • "The licensing is on a yearly basis. Because of our special relationship, all the training certifications are free of cost. All our employees can do Pega certifications at zero cost. It is all on Pega."
  • "We mostly have a yearly license."
  • Pega BPM Reviews

Senior Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent machine learning, automation intelligence, DevOps for larger organizations
    • "The product helps you to build faster."
    • "The initial setup takes time."

What is our primary use case?

If you search on Google, basically you will see a lot of use cases that you can implement. Wherever you have a kind of automation, a case management, a kind of logic, a kind of an exhaustive process flow where a particular task will flow from one group to another. In all those situations, Pega can be a very good fit. Nowadays, Pega provides machine learning, automation intelligence, DevOps, et cetera. Whatever is as per market standard, those are there in Pega.

Pega has lots of industry solutions as well which are targeted for specific industries such as financial, healthcare, or insurance. The product helps you to build faster.

Pega is a niche product and any workflow management kind of use case, or maybe automation kind of use case can be implemented using Pega. The only thing that you need, is the right skillset. Pega is a very customizable product. You need to know the product very well to implement it to a proper standard.

Pega has been on the market for quite a long time. I'm working with Pega for the last 15 years and they always have a lot of new features.

How has it helped my organization?

The way it is adapting to new changes is quite useful. The way it is changing itself to survive in the industry with other BPM tools and being competitive every time.

With Pega you can deliver some things pretty quickly. You can deliver a prototype for what Pega calls a Minimum Viable Product or Minimum Lovable Project, MLP, very, very fast.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

You can scale the solution if you size it right at the outset.

It's very customizable.

You can use it for many industries.

There are lots of very useful features. They're constantly adding more items to the product.

There are lots of great automation and machine learning aspects.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup can take a while. You need to have the right people in place to handle it effectively.

It can be pretty expensive and is better for larger enterprises.

Pega BPM
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Pega BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been working with Pega probably for the last 15 years.

It's a stable solution.

The scalability is pretty good. Whenever we work in Pega, we propose this product to any customer based on their needs, how many tech resources they have, how many concurrent resources there will be, what their daily inbound volume is, et cetera. Based on that, we get the hardware sizing from Pega. If you do the right kind of estimation and start with the proper infrastructure, you will be able to basically ensure robustness, high availability, almost zero downtime, and everything can be shipped.

Pega tech support is there technically and they do help us a lot. In the recent past, we have seen a little bit of trouble here and there, where tech support is taking a long time to fix some issues. Usually, if we route Pega with proper channels, then we can manage good support.

They have a good tech support process and they also provide a good academy resource. Someone new to Pega can get a lot of documentation and material to learn the product.

I am from a Pega background and I do not know much about other competitive products in the market, so my feedback or whatever I'm giving, that is maybe a bit biased as I have been working with Pega only.

The initial setup takes time. You have to gather people with the right skills. If you have that then it won't take that much time at all. Basically, the main selling point of Pega is it can reduce your entire timeline drastically. The constraint is you need to have the right kind of people.

Pega is a huge tool, and honestly speaking, nowadays, there are a lot of sections in Pega where there is no single user who knows the entire feature set. It's a big and complicated product. You need to have the right blend of team members to set up, to have an easy initial setup. In those instances, it might take six to eight weeks. After that, I have seen people delivering some base prototypes and a walking model in a few weeks.

We help our clients set up the solution.

Nowadays, standard open affairs configuration is there. If you ask me how much time it'll take to build it, it's maybe a few hours or maybe two to three days. When we talk about the entire project, we need to take care of a lot of things, not just the build part. Usually, there are integrations necessary and we have to have a lot of testing in place to manage different combinations, load testing, performance testing, and security testing. Most of the time clients ask for all these things. That adds to the setup timeline, however, the build is not included in that constantly changing time.

This is something every enterprise has to handle separately with Pega. As a vendor, we are not supposed to comment on pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We use both cloud and on-premises deployments. In earlier days, Pega used to support only on-premises. Nowadays, it's supporting the cloud as well.

I definitely do recommend the product. Pega is a competitive product if it's not a small enterprise. Small companies usually avoid this product as there are a lot of open source products that are less costly there in the market.

Based on the features I can recommend it.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Advanced App Engineering Sr Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    On prem or in the cloud, it speeds up your business processes
    • "The best part of Pega, for me, is that they let you reuse a lot of the aspects in the product."
    • "The main problem with Pega is that it is quite complex, so it is very difficult for the developer to learn."

What is our primary use case?

We have two different projects right now using Pega BPM. In one we are doing a migration of applications regarding claims, and the process requires orchestration between different providers that this company needs to organize the work. When you have a claim and you need a repair for something, we need to organize the work that we send to the provider. One, for example, is doing water claims. Another one could be about car claims. These are our main processes right now for Pega BPM.

The other project is regarding onboarding customers in a bank. We use Pega to orchestrate the different aspects we need to complete the onboarding for our customer.

One project is on-premise and another one is on cloud, but we started using the Pega cloud and right now we are migrating to Azure Cloud,

How has it helped my organization?

Yes it has improved the KPIs. For example, in the insurance project, the time required to complete the project with Appian was around a month and now with Pega it is around two weeks. We still have a lot that is manual, but we reduced the time of the process.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The main problem with Pega is that it is quite complex, so it is very difficult for the developer to learn. Sometimes it is like a black box where you can't develop other things. When you try to modify something on the product it is quite difficult. Also, when new people try to learn how to develop in Pega, it is quite difficult to learn, and it's a big product. I think that is the problem.

Maybe they could try to make an easier implementation. I don't know how. Maybe with more information on the Pega platform, in the Pega academy, or modifying the application to make it easier to implement.

I started using Pega BPM 11 years ago.

Pega BPM is stable.

Pega BPM is more scalable than Appian. We can have more processes running, more data in the server, and the performance is better.

Both of our projects are in production right now, but in one of them the customer will require around 3,000 users. With the other project it will be around 300 people.

Right now, there are two or three people running this kind of project, so we will need more people for that.

The plan for Pega in both projects is to continue for around five years more - so we have a lot of work there.

We don't have too many problems. It's true that we have more ticket service requests with Pega, but they answer quickly, so I think that is good.

In one of our projects, we previously used an application called .NET by Microsoft and the solution was so slow. Well, I think it was created 20 years ago so the modification on that application was too slow because the code is much longer and you have to read more lines of code so it was not easy to modify the processes on that application. It was for that reason that we tended towards Pega, looking for more agility on the modifications and giving control to the business people to modify different business rules for themselves.

The initial setup is complex.

When you are doing a project in Pega, it is more complex than the processes that you are normally going to implement. When the product is complex to learn it's more complex to develop.

The deployment time is not too much. It is about the same as with Appian when you have the configuration down, no more than one or two hours.

Normally when we use Pega we are thinking about a more global application that you can use in different countries or for different areas.

It requires a Pega architect from the company.

The pricing with Pega BPM is a huge problem because it is quite expensive for the Spanish customers. It is higher than other BPMs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Pega BPM is that they have to think about that they want to do on it because not everything is possible. It is similar to Appian, so really think what you want do you in Pega. If you are thinking about moving an application towards innovation on Pega, it's not a big solution to do it. If you're thinking about something more, it's a good product. Don't spend money on that because Pega is more expensive than other products.

The main lessons regarding Pega are that you need people who know how to use it because it is a complex product. If you create the application from the beginning, you are going to need a lead system architect to do it, because if you don't do it correctly, the use and the good points that Pega has could be an issue for you. The main point here is that you need people who know Pega really well in your team.

As a product I have to say that I think Pega BPM is the best right now, and the only problem that we have with Pega is the people. So if I focus only on the product, on a scale of one to ten, I have to say Pega is a nine.

The product is so good. The only problem is that the people who work on it need more knowledge.

Pega BPM
    September 2022
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Delivering Digital Workforce at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Integrates well, good automated workflows, and the technical support is helpful and responsive
    • "Overall, the ability to integrate with multiple applications and effective case management is the most valuable."
    • "If it could also be integrated with robotics, it could help with a lot of things, even if we don't have APIs, we could still talk to other applications. If it could invoke a bot, for example."

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using it in my current organization. I have recently joined a new organization that also uses Pega, but in my previous organization, we used Pega for a couple of use cases where we set up automated workflows and other things.

We were doing straight-through processing and had everything set up. And we had RPA, and BluePrism bots there that we wanted to decommission, we set up Pega to do so.

We had issues with RP as a technology, as well as numerous challenges with some critical processes. Now, what used to always fail, too many bots and too many handoffs, both human and automated, is where we thought we would build APIs and integrate Pega.

What is most valuable?

When we were implementing in 2012, we also used Pega phones. It was a complete front office to back office interaction that was created, followed by case management. But I'm not sure, if you say case management as a feature, there's also knowledge management, which is present, but case management is what I've used extensively.

Overall, the ability to integrate with multiple applications and effective case management is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

If it could also be integrated with robotics, it could help with a lot of things, even if we don't have APIs, we could still talk to other applications. If it could invoke a bot, for example.

It currently has OpenSpan, but OpenSpan is a different thing entirely, as you call it in robotics order.

If the BPM and robotics could be integrated more easily, then I believe both could be used.

It is not at all integrated. OpenSpan operates in a completely different manner, and Pega operates in a completely different manner. Part of it is called Pega robotics, but it has nothing in common, in my opinion.

I have used Pega BPM for quite some time. I started using Pega BPM in 2012, it has been for 10 years.

However, because I was leading at the time, I didn't have much experience with the tool. There was one client at the time, where my role was to lead a 60-person team.

We actually did massive implementations. We used that finance framework to create a lot of workflows, at least three to four workflow applications that were quite large, as well as a lot of integrations and such.

We did use it extensively from 2012 to 2015. We are still using it.

Pega BPM is definitely a stable product.

Pega BPM is scalable.

I am not sure how well it will work because we have a lot of requirements that I see today, we have a lot of emails, that we want to set up, all of these as workflow. I am still trying to understand and see how all of these emails will be converted to case management and email listeners, how much it can be scaled, and whether it'll work properly or not when the volumes increase because we have a huge demand right now. We also have to see how Pega will support us.

We haven't reached the point where we can scale to maximum capacity to see how the product performs. However, we can currently see that the product is scaling based on our requirements.

Because I am new to the organization I don't know how many users it has. But, in the previous organization, I believe there were many business units that used it, including the front of house and back of house. I wouldn't have a figure in mind.

At my previous company, I was one of the business units that used it. I wouldn't know, but from my business unit's perspective, the front of house was probably 200 people.

It is used daily, and we get through our smart forms, we get the inputs, and then the back office creates the interaction, and the back office works on it.

They have a very good support system.  You must have your contacts in place, and they must respond to you based on the escalated level. It's fairly consistent.

I would rate the technical support a four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

So far, I have primarily used Blue Prism and Automation Anywhere for RPA.

The initial setup was difficult because, as previously stated, there were numerous integrations. However, we had excellent support from the ECS team, the Pega team, and the platform setup.

Once we got it set up, I would say we were pretty stable. Once done correctly and set up properly, it should be more stable than an RPA solution, in my opinion.

I would rate the initial setup a four out of five.

The initial setup was done in-house.

It was in-house when I did my setup. It was not a cloud setup, but rather an in-house setup. We did an upgrade, and everything was done in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Pega BPM an eight out of ten.

AmarenderChitti - PeerSpot reviewer
    Feature Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to set up with great documentation and training
    • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
    • "The local development approach is good in Pega, however, cost-wise, it's getting expensive. That needs to be addressed."

What is our primary use case?

For an upcoming project, my manager told us to look at all the different capabilities between the Pega, Appian, and the Camunda. We don't know the use case yet. We need to know the use case, however, at this point, we are just exploring different tools, BPM tools.

What is most valuable?

The integration is good. It can be capable of different integrations.

There is a Pega Decision Hub, which is just a text-based analytical site. Based upon the text-based analytics and it can decide and trigger a case.

There are a lot of new features in Pega that are great.

I like case management in Pega. For the case management applications, so it's really fast to develop and it can scale and be extended based upon the business requirements.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The documentation and training available are great.

Pega is coming out with Pega Express, which is kind of a low-code development platform. The business rules can be built in a Pega Express Portal, which is more specifically built for business users and not technical users. That way, even non-technical people are able to build their own business processes easily.

What needs improvement?

The local development approach is good in Pega, however, cost-wise, it's getting expensive. That needs to be addressed.

With Camunda, containerization is the most helpful feature. It can containerize and it can have its own deployment process. Pega may be adding that feature in a future release, however, right now, that's lacking and needs to be addressed.

I'd like to see Pega support microservices architecture, which it doesn't do right now.

We have been using the solution for more than six years.

The scalability is excellent. It can scale as much as you need it to. It's one of the great aspects of the product.

I've never directly contacted technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are. We have our own internal team that can troubleshoot.

That said, we used to connect with Pega on issues and it's my understanding that support tickets can be addressed very quickly. Support-wise it's very extensive.

I also trained in Appian.

The initial setup is straightforward. There is no complexity. There is documentation around the installation process and upgrade process as well. Pega will also provide you with good training materials in the Pega Express Portal, which is helpful for teams who are planning for new developments. That way, they can learn easily and understand everything.

It's a great product, Pega, however, cost-wise, it is a little expensive compared to other BPM tools. That's where I feel that they can improve.

Now, we are exploring other software, like Camunda. We just want to see the different designs or decide which tool is better for our application.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

We have been using Pega for more than six years, and at this point, we also want to just explore the other BPM tools. It's kind of for considering cost efficiency also. We are looking at the cost of the development effort or the scalability of the tool. While I like Pega, I'm just exploring the other BPM tools with respect to Pega.

While it depends on the application you are using, if you're planning for an enterprise application that can interact with different applications, Pega would be a good option.

Sometimes if you have a smaller workflow, for example, if you're just introducing a smaller workflow in an existing application and you just want to leverage only that workflow-related feature, you don't need Pega. You can just have any workflow tool, like Camunda or Appian. Cost-wise, Pega may cost you more.

If you're planning to leverage all the features in Pega, like case management and low-code, no-code and RPA, robotic process automation, and other high level or case management, if you are planning to leverage all these different kinds of features that are available in Pega, just go with Pega. And if you're just planning to leverage only a kind of workflow, you don't need to go with Pega. You can just go with other BP flows or BPM process models like Camunda.

There are a lot of features that you can explore in fault tolerance and error handling, exception handling, et cetera. There are other items as well if you're in the development stage, and something like Page will likely be helpful. I don't know of other tools that will support anything to that extent.

There are still some limitations in the solution. I'd rate it at an eight out of ten, as there are still some improvements that can be made.

AnoopSingh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Delivery Manager at LanceSoft
    User-friendly and has case management and claims management functions; has good documentation and a community portal that help in learning the product and resolving issues
    • "The most important features of Pega BPM are case management and claims management, and soon they'll also be offering claims processing. I also love Pega BPM in terms of performance. It's also one of the very few user-friendly solutions in the market. It may take some time to learn Pega BPM, but once you get a proper handle on it, tracking and managing processes become very easy anytime, anywhere. Pega BPM also has very good documentation you can use to learn the solution. Pega has a community portal that has complete information and explanations, and if you're facing a challenge, you can post your challenge on the community portal and get a resolution at the same time."
    • "Currently, there isn't any feature I want to be added in the next release of Pega BPM because Pega always adds new features that my team welcomes and looks forward to learning. One area for improvement in the solution is the long learning curve, but after that, you'll find Pega BPM easy to use."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for Pega BPM is BFS process management. Earlier, we were facing some challenges such as using the end numbers of applications, but now we are careful. Decision-making took too much time in the past, but now that can be done within a few hours or a few days. For example, when managing a claim, that used to take almost five days to a week. Now, that would only take two to three hours in terms of resolving issues. The processes are much faster now in Pega BPM, in particular, almost ten times faster.

What is most valuable?

The most important features of Pega BPM are case management and claims management, and soon they'll also be offering claims processing.

I also love Pega BPM in terms of performance. It's also one of the very few user-friendly solutions in the market. It may take some time to learn Pega BPM, but once you get a proper handle on it, tracking and managing processes become very easy anytime, anywhere.

What needs improvement?

Currently, there isn't any feature I want to be added in the next release of Pega BPM because Pega always adds new features that my team welcomes and looks forward to learning.

One area for improvement in the solution is the long learning curve, but after that, you'll find Pega BPM easy to use.

I've been using Pega BPM for almost four years now.

Pega BPM is a stable solution.

Pega BPM is a solution that's easy to scale.

I haven't contacted the Pega BPM technical support team yet, but when an issue arises, and I would need to contact the team, hopefully, there would be a good response and availability from them.

Pega BPM is my first BPM solution, so I have no experience with other similar solutions.

Setting up Pega BPM was very easy for the team. Deploying the solution is so much faster and takes up a lesser amount of time than other solutions. For example, if a competitor takes a month to completely deploy, Pega BPM deployment will be completed within two weeks, or almost half a month.

I would rate the setup for Pega BPM four out of five.

We implemented Pega BPM in-house through our BPM team.

If I would rate the pricing for the solution, I'd give it three out of five.

You have to pay extra for additional features in Pega BPM.

What other advice do I have?

The business process management solution my team uses is Pega BPM, particularly the older version 7. My team is planning to onboard the new version of the solution, version 8, soon.

Maintaining Pega BPM is sometimes expensive, but it's manageable. It takes money to maintain the solution, but it's a good product based on the service it provides to customers. Pricing doesn't matter because what matters to any client is that the solution should be very good and should provide accurate results. This is the main reason people go with Pega BPM.

My company has a team dedicated to maintaining the solution.

Five to six people currently use Pega BPM within the company.

For now, I don't have any suggestions for people looking into implementing Pega BPM because for sure those people have research teams that do the research and implement the solution according to market research. They know exactly what type of solution is needed based on research.

I would recommend Pega BPM to new users of BPM solutions or local platforms, but research is still required before implementing the solution.

My rating for Pega BPM is nine out of ten.

My company is a partner of Pega BPM with clients it provides services to. My company also provides implementation support to clients.

Other
    Bireswar Das - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Unit Head - Government Business at YASH Technologies
    Fastens application development and has all the features to meet the requirements of our customers
    • "Application development is very rapid. A lot of code gets reused while building the applications, which is something we highly appreciate."
    • "Its implementation in the public sector was a bit complex."

What is most valuable?

Application development is very rapid. A lot of code gets reused while building the applications, which is something we highly appreciate.

People are also very happy with the robotic process automation and the dashboards. They are very good.

What needs improvement?

Its implementation in the public sector was a bit complex.

In terms of features, I have not come across any limitations in the last four or five years. I'm on the sales side. I work with customers, and my role involves reading a customer's mind and providing the best solution so that all pain areas are addressed. Pega has got very good features and tools. I didn't come across any limitation where a customer wanted something, and we were not able to provide that. Generally, whatever a customer demands, we are able to meet that demand.

We have been using Pega since 2017 or 2018. It has been about four or five years.

Its stability is good.

I have not come across any scalability issues. The government customer has perpetual licenses. We are very populous in nature, and people come from the web as well from the mobile. They are able to process all those requests. I've not come across any issues.

Their support has been excellent because the person who heads the Pega practice is very senior. He was the sixth employee of Pega in the UK. He has an excellent relationship with the CEO, Mark Allison. Mark has been to our development centers because we have been expanding in the last three or four years. Our focus is banks. So, he has been visiting us.

As an organization also, there has been tremendous support from Pega. We are a small but growing organization. We are not very big, but we are competing with the big brothers in the industry who have been there for over decades.

The finance part that people were doing was not too difficult. It was straightforward. However, when we implemented it in the public sector, it was a bit complex because of the disparities in the data structures and the maturity of the customer. They had different ERPs. So, it was a bit tough, but they appreciated it. We are a Commonwealth country. So, whatever works in India would work in any Commonwealth country. We have an education department here, and there are two categories: higher education and technical education. Based on merit and a lot of other parameters, such as caste, people have to be given subsidies, grants, and aid, which change with the political system. A new leader can announce that he wants to give laptops to all standard 12 students who have scored 90% marks. So, all such rules can be built very quickly. The SLA is for about five working days. We have to complete a new request in five working days. Most of the customers here want parallel development. Normally, we have six to eight teams working. Generally, we give a new Pega solution in about 100 days. After a solution is rolled out, we have a separate team with about 10 people, and they cater to 10 and 15 customers.

There is a team that looks into its cost. When it comes to licenses, we don't get involved with selling the licenses. We insist that Pega sells the licenses directly to the customer. This is the model we work with. We make money only through our implementation.

We have a small team based out of London, UK. We have Pega and Appian. We don't have anything else. It is a very small team, and we only cater to financial institutions. We are trying to acquire a few Pega customers in the Middle East from the UK.

I am based out of India, Bangalore, and in India, Pega is just coming in. There are not many installations in the government as well as enterprise sectors. There is a private sector bank that is trying to move to BPM. They have not yet made a decision about what they want to procure, but they have been talking to Appian and Pega teams.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a 10 out of 10. We have had a beautiful experience with them.

Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
    Scalable, good technical support, but AI capabilities could improve
    • "The technical support of Pega BPM is very good."
    • "In the next release of Pega BPM, they should add more ways to do the customer interaction fields in the portals."

What is our primary use case?

We are a strategy consultancy for someone who is looking for a Low-code No-code platform for the utilization of digitized service processes. We can determine if Pega BPM is the right fit for them because it can be deployed on the Cloud,on-premise, Kubernetes, and Dockers. We are in discussions with customers with many other solutions, such as OutSystems and Mendix. From a strategic point of view. We're not going to implement only one service tomorrow.

We mostly use European providers. We do not use hyper scalers because of privacy concerns, such as Google, Microsoft, and Amazon.

We use Pega BPM for simple service management processes. We are a consultancy that works for the government. We look at public services and how public services can be supported. These new types of workflow technologies where you to have end-to-end case management. They can be used for public services processes that are created on these platforms.

What needs improvement?

Pega BPM could improve the artificial intelligence capabilities because they are always valuable and case management for all types of industries is important. Additionally, the reporting performance management capabilities could be better because you want to have insights into how your processes are working, such as Cloud protection. The whole range can be better. However, the platforms are improving every year, they are on the right track.

In the next release of Pega BPM, they should add more ways to do the customer interaction fields in the portals.

I have been using Pega BPM for more than one year.

Pega BPM is scalable. If you have larger data models, for example, thousands and millions of transactions, they have their limits. Larger data models need to be improved. It's not only technically scalable, for instance, if one organization develops a solution built on ServiceNow or Pega BPM, how can you transfer the solution to the next organization that has the same platform. They have a marketplace on most of the platforms where third-party vendors can show their services. For a public organization, if you develop a small application, the next town could use it the same way. How to transfer easily from one to another one. It might not be a relevant case for private companies because you are in competition. There's no need to give away knowledge. However, in the public domain, it's a different case but it's very special, nothing in general.

The technical support of Pega BPM is very good.

What other advice do I have?

If you work with any of those platforms such as Pega BPM, Mendix, OutSystems, or ServiceNow, they have different sweet spots. You should always think about what you really want to accomplish. What do you want to do with those platforms, you have to choose between Pega BPM or ServiceNow. You have to decide what is the right provider, and it is not one-fits-all.

The platforms are used to be faster. You have citizen developers who can build faster solutions but in the end, if you have no governance, no strict rules on how to use it there can be problems. For example, to put out a fire somewhere, you can do it in 10,000 different ways. If you don't have strict rules, how to do it, you might end up with a crazy solution that you can't manage over time, such as the maintainability of those solutions or of the platform ecosystem in general.  You need strict governance or rules of what to do and how to do it. Otherwise, it will be like a crazy zoo of different solutions and you don't know what it is, how they work, or why they work. If everyone is able to use a solution but they are not using it in the same way it can be improper and this is why governance and rules need to be applied.

I rate Pega BPM a seven out of ten.

Pega BPM is good, it is not the worst solution you can find on the market. However, it depends on what you're looking for. It has to meet the use case that you are looking to solve. Other solutions, such as OutSystems and Mendix, they're more open-minded, you can do whatever you want to do, but they don't have strong case management. In my industry, it's more or less, very simple service processes.

Digital Engineering Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    One of the best solutions in terms of performance, capability, and stability
    • "I have a lot of experience in this kind of industry, and Pega is one of the best solutions in terms of performance, capabilities, and the way we develop."
    • "It should have integration with non-relational databases. A lot of databases are non-relational, and as a company, we are planning to move to NoSQL or open-source databases. It would be good if we are able to install and use Pega on a NoSQL database. They can also try to tailor or organize the company a bit differently and go more towards the microservice concept. I would like Pega to develop machine learning and intelligent AI algorithms. They have a good foundation in terms of the model and the stuff that we are using for some customers, and it will be good to onboard as many machine learning algorithms as possible."

What is our primary use case?

We are developing campaigns and business solutions on top of Pega. It is a part of the campaign management solution that we have. We are also using it for the core business. We are offering personalized content, personalized product, and personalized information for each of our customers. Pega is one of the main products for us for pricing, catalog, and content. It is being used for everything.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It should have integration with non-relational databases. A lot of databases are non-relational, and as a company, we are planning to move to NoSQL or open-source databases. It would be good if we are able to install and use Pega on a NoSQL database.

They can also try to tailor or organize the company a bit differently and go more towards the microservice concept.

I would like Pega to develop machine learning and intelligent AI algorithms. They have a good foundation in terms of the model and the stuff that we are using for some customers, and it will be good to onboard as many machine learning algorithms as possible.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It is one of the most stable solutions, but you need professional expertise. If you are working in a professional way, you won't have issues. If you install it on top of any provider as a database and you are not able to tune the database, you will have issues. Every product has bugs, but it is a more stable one.

We have 25 to 30 customers who use this solution.

Their technical support is fine. There is always room for improvement, but overall, it is fine.

I have used different products and shifted to Pega. In the past ten years, I developed an in-house solution, and I also hired a company to develop it for me, but that was not enough. Now I am relying on Pega in Google Cloud, and it is running my business strategy and everything else. It is one of the best solutions in this category. I can't even compare it with other products. Based on Gartner's ratings, Pega is one of the top ones.

Its installation is straightforward. I don't see any big issue. We are using it on Google Cloud VMs. We are not using Pega container, but I know another company that is using it fully in a container.

For its deployment and maintenance, you need highly skilled people.

We mostly have a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I have been recommending it to different customers across Europe. It is a professional product, but you should know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are doing, you might think it does nothing, but if you are mature enough to understand the power and potential of Pega, you can do magic with it. You should have the know-how, and you should know a customer's expectations.

One of the reasons why some customers are getting a lot of success is because we have Pega and Data Lake or big data platforms close to each other. Data Science runs the algorithm on the Data Lake, and we propagate the data and the segment to Pega. This way the customer gets a high value. They are doing a great business because they have the potential data, and they can combine and build campaigns and segment customers on an individual basis. After that, your big data is in real-time, and you have real-time notifications. You are doing everything in real-time.

I would rate Pega BPM a nine out of ten.

Google
    Download our free Pega BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022