IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

New Relic Synthetics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

New Relic Synthetics is #28 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give New Relic Synthetics an average rating of 8 out of 10. New Relic Synthetics is most commonly compared to Dynatrace: New Relic Synthetics vs Dynatrace. New Relic Synthetics is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is New Relic Synthetics?

New Relic Synthetic Monitoring is a next-gen suite of scripted, automated tools developed to monitor users’ API endpoints, critical business transactions, and websites. Users are able to replicate consumer traffic and intuitively identify and remediate downtime and unsatisfactory performance regarding crucial endpoints. This ensures that there is no defect in productivity or performance and so clients’ services are never affected. New Relic Synthetic Monitoring enables users to continually monitor API endpoints or websites to ensure they are working properly and content is always available.

Quality Testing Processes and Monitoring

New Relic’s browser testing protocol sends valid Selenium-powered Google Chrome browsers to test sites to establish that an organization's content is always available to anyone, anywhere. Scripted browsers are employed to test for user flow anomalies or to beta-test complicated processes such as: adding items to a cart on ecommerce sites, joining member portals, signing up for newsletters, searching for embedded content on a website, or testing backend with API monitors to run scripted tests for any API endpoint.

Synthetic monitoring will break down the results of each check into metrics, giving users full visibility to better discover patterns and potential reasons for unsatisfactory performance. The solution will store all monitor results to enable users to visualize the exact point where a website broke down. Alerts will advise users when an API endpoint or website became inaccessible. Users are also able to widen the geographical scope and closely monitor internal websites by creating private locations.

New Relic is able to store all monitor results for up to thirteen months to give users a historical view of results for over a year. An important feature to remember is that the test data collected using New Relic Synthetics is synthetic data; it does not reflect any actual human interaction and contains no personal critical information.Therefore, there are no data protection or privacy concerns.

Why Synthetic Monitoring is Beneficial

• Quickly determine the root and cause of any issue. New Relic Synthetics will determine if there is a latent third party application, poor backend or infrastructure issue, AWS location, or overall network issue.

• Synthetic monitoring can be embedded into CI/CD pipelines and build automation to instantly track efficiency and determine the productivity of every deployment.

• Ensures a better understanding of failures by associating the availability and performance of all endpoints to the basic applications and core infrastructure.

• API tests monitor API endpoints using a progressive got module to interact internally to make HTTP calls to an organization's endpoints and legitimizes the results.

New Relic Synthetics Features

• Precise results: New Relic stores all results for up to thirteen months. Users get a clear snapshot to facilitate a better understanding of website performance and availability, and help discover specific issues.

• Charting: Users can use New Relics charting feature to compare load time against real users and synthetic monitors. Users can view trends and determine if an issue is evident in synthetic monitoring or caused by other anomalies.

• Integrates with popular analytics platforms: Users are able to block or unblock any service that may have been noticed by default settings. New Relic is designed to ignore scripts from today’s popular analytics services (such as Google Analytics) to ensure the chosen analytics tools will still receive the identical data, even though there are thousands or monitors checking your website each month.

• Browser monitors: New Relic uses scripted and simple browser monitors to not only ensure the host is functioning properly; it will actually load the complete content of each page in a completely virtualized Google Chrome browser (Selenium-powered) to complete testing that mimics actual user actions.
New Relic Synthetics Customers

Fairfax Media, MercadoLibre, Costa Coffee, Kiva, Confused.com, Boozt.com

New Relic Synthetics Video

New Relic Synthetics Pricing Advice

What users are saying about New Relic Synthetics pricing:
"I loved this product, but we can no longer afford it, so we dropped it."

New Relic Synthetics Reviews

Database Administrator at a music company with 51-200 employees
Good drill-down functionality let us see through to SQL code, and it integrates well with Slack
  • "We were able to integrate with the messaging tool, Slack, which meant that we got notifications whenever something was not quite right."
  • "There are certain features that are not supported in New Relic, such as CATSEARCH, which allows you to do a full-text search."

What is our primary use case?

We were using New Relic Synthetics to test our application, which retrieved data from the web on a daily basis. Our second use case was that it helped us to isolate any bad code. You put the hooks in for the website as a database, and you can drill down into all of the offending code. You can even go down into the SQL. We were running an Oracle database and I was the DBA, so the SQL level was my responsibility.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature was drill-downs. I was able to use it to drill-down into the SQL, get the response time, as well as the allocation based on IO, CPU, and the other resources attached to the SQL queries. We were able to integrate with the messaging tool, Slack, which meant that we got notifications whenever something was not quite right.

What needs improvement?

There are certain features that are not supported in New Relic, such as CATSEARCH, which allows you to do a full-text search. Certain things like this would have helped me a little bit.

We used New Relic Synthetics for at least a year, up until the end of 2019.
Application Performance Management (APM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about New Relic, Instana, Datadog and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: June 2022.
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution and we never had a problem with it.

Prior to New Relic, we were using some Oracle tools such as AWR. Although they were useful, they were not really proactive. New Relic is a more proactive tool, as it were.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but it was done in-house by one person. It took at least half a week to complete it. This included setting up the service, and Slack integration. It took a nice amount of time, in total.

I loved this product, but we can no longer afford it, so we dropped it.

What other advice do I have?

Honestly, at first, I was very hesitant about using this product. My advice is to learn to use it and learn all of the features because it has many of them, not all of which are documented, but they work wonders. For us, they really helped a lot. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about New Relic, Instana, Datadog, and more!
Updated: June 2022