We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

New Relic Insights OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

New Relic Insights is #13 ranked solution in top IT Operations Analytics tools. PeerSpot users give New Relic Insights an average rating of 8 out of 10. New Relic Insights is most commonly compared to Rapid7 InsightOps: New Relic Insights vs Rapid7 InsightOps.
What is New Relic Insights?
New Relic Insights is a real-time analytics platform that collects events directly from your live production software and transforms them into actionable insights about your business, customers, and applications.

Download the IT Operations Analytics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

New Relic Insights Customers
Veracode, Confused.com, ReachLocal, thetrainline.com, AppFolio, FlightStats, Pixable, Cond_ Nast, Tapjoy, Wellcentive
New Relic Insights Video

Archived New Relic Insights Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user344553
SQA Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
We get a shared organizational understanding of how our application is being used, but if I set a custom query to give me some value, I want to be able to set an alert for that.

Valuable Features

It allows flexible queries, allowing me to find answers easily.

Improvements to My Organization

It’s been helpful to get a unified understanding of how our application is being used, usage patterns, etc. We get a shared organizational understanding.

Room for Improvement

Alerting based on custom insights queries. If I set a custom query to give me some value, I want to be able to set an alert for that.

No issues encountered.

It’s been scaling along with our growth.

Great tech support, very responsive. They've helped us solve some perplexing problems.

Very straightforward. Worked through our account manager.

Other Advice

You’ll get way more data than you…

Valuable Features

It allows flexible queries, allowing me to find answers easily.

No issues encountered.

It’s been scaling along with our growth.

Very straightforward. Worked through our account manager.

Other Advice

You’ll get way more data than you thought.

it_user344856
Sr. Principal at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives us trending/marketing data. But while our internal solution is better than Insights at analyzing some data, I'd like Insights to take care of that analysis and use its graphic engine.

Valuable Features

We can place ad hoc queries to understand user behavior and customer patterns. The data can be collected for any activity that we want to see on any part of our website.

Improvements to My Organization

Its greatest benefit comes from its ability to provide trending/marketing data. We can replace some requests from our data warehouse and get a quick glimpse into that data, especially with our mobile platform and website for different browsers.

Room for Improvement

The metrics that I want are already pushed to New Relic, but some data we haven’t pushed to New Relic. Internally, we have a solution that’s better than Insights to provide us analysis of that data. I’d like to see Insights take care of that analysis and use its graphic engine.

Not enough working experience to comment on this, but in my experience, no instability.

I haven't had to use it.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

Other Advice

The things that I would need are proprietary, and I don’t think that data can be pushed out to Insights. Take a look at internal processes to see what can be done quicker by Insight and make a good test case of it. You must present it as a better alternative to the existing issues. Get early adopters excited about it and build a relationship based on that.

Find out what your peers are saying about New Relic, Splunk, SAP and others in IT Operations Analytics. Updated: January 2022.
563,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user344535
Information Technology Director at Ontegrity
It provides my executives with customer, internal, and vendor usage statistics, but it has a limit of only 1000 records when I run a query.

Valuable Features

The ability to do layered reporting quickly and in real-time on stats is the most valuable feature to us.

Improvements to My Organization

It makes my executives happy because it allows me to provide them with usage statistics. We have three types of users: customer, internal, and vendor. We can see who’s logged on, when, how long, what views they’re using, what data elements they’ve updated and how often, and which features of all reports that customers retrieve and use the most. And management knows who’s doing work and who’s not, and who's doing what they’re supposed to be doing.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to be able to do visual selection of fields, so that executives who don’t enter queries and select what they want, but they’ve already announced that -- all that's now available. The only limitation we experience is with Insights query limit of 1,000 transactions. If there was an ability to do a “true” 4 weeks of transactions either by running Asynchronously in the background and returning an excel dump or by paging/tabbing the 1,000 transactions per window view, it too, would be perfect.

It has a limit of only 1000 records. I can run a query, and it will only give me feedback on 1000 regardless of the filters I use. Some users are heavy users and have more transactions. I’d like the ability to do 10,000.

I would like more than 1000 views.

First time we tried to do dashboard with nested queries, we had trouble getting syntax correct with tags. Tech support was very supportive with three one-hour sessions with my developers. Since then, it’s never been an issue. They literally hand-held them to get them to put the tags within our code to get the right results.

There were no problems.

Other Advice

If you invest in it and take the time to set it up correctly within the application, the sales and marketing information of the product will pay for itself within the first day or two.

it_user344514
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Although it isn’t as expressive as SQL, we're able to implement a solution that uses New Relic's API to provide data so the project manager can query it using NRQL.

What is most valuable?

It's schema-less and unconstrained to queries. And although NRQL isn’t as expressive as SQL, we're able to implement a solution that uses New Relic's API to provide data so the project manager can query it using NRQL.

They announced that they’re expanding a GUI to make NRQL even less technical.

How has it helped my organization?

Helped us understand that we had a professional group of our users that we didn’t even know about.

It identified mechanized behavior (e.g. bots) and then blocked them.

What needs improvement?

Raw transaction didn’t give us data that we needed. We needed user information so we needed to supply the data with an API.

It’s built to stay up. We starting sending a ton of data to them. They were able to deal with it on their end given their internal architecture. We had a marketing partnership with them.

It’s responsive. When I have had questions, we used the forum. As a big customer, we get a response within a few hours.

Our CTO came back from a conference last year and we were trying to solve a problem using DynamoDB, S3 and Redis (trying to solve the user segmentation question and analyze user behavior). Within a few hours of implementing the API, I was able to query for what we needed. You could do a lot with elastic search, but that needs a team of three people.

No complexity. Just an API call.

They charge by the number of events and for the retention.

it_user344493
Tableau Software at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Using analytics as an application database is nice, but ​error handling and reporting is a little lackluster. They are, however, announcing a whole new analytics approach.

Valuable Features

• It integrates everything, which is awesome.
  • The level of detail and customization, and integrating Insights with an application.
  • Using analytics as an application database.
  • DevOps for marketing.

Room for Improvement

Error handling and reporting is a little lackluster, but they're announcing a whole new analytics approach.

Use of Solution

We have a big deployment and use all of their product offerings except Mobile and Plugins. We use APM, Browsers, and Insights.

No issues. It’s expected since they’re cloud based.

They’ve been friendly and responsive.

Other Solutions Considered

We compared them to others, but they seem to be pumping out more features. Insights has no competition. They pump APM and browser data automatically so that it’s all seamlessly integrated into their insights.

it_user342795
Senior QA Lead/Product Manager at Ontegrity
We just keep pushing data, different customer attributes, into New Relic, and we can understand quickly what happened in a time frame, plus all of the dashboard views, drill-down reports.

What is most valuable?

Mainly our developers use this solution, and the executive management. They love seeing all the reports and dashboards. There are two things: your current features, how many people are using them, and that also gives us the sense of what people really want.

It’s like a marketing opportunity also. It gives something more which adds value. From a developer’s standpoint, we can practically put customer attributes for every transaction. We just keep pushing data, different customer attributes, into New Relic, and we can understand quickly what happened in a time frame, plus all of the dashboard views, drill-down reports – you can have multiple reports. The good part is that we don’t have to implement anything on our side – we just use the features.

How has it helped my organization?

Every action we have certain attributes that we keep pushing data and we don’t have to worry about it. It captures everything, which we can send to executive management. We can put a feature out and see how people respond to it, and that can go into a release which will help make money for the company and add value for the customer.

What needs improvement?

Probably make the query language a little bit easier. Improved documentation. The reasons we had to call them (they were super helpful) is because we couldn’t find the documentation. It would really help if they were to come up with some online help where you just type something in and get the answers.

In the last year, I’ve never seen Insights go down. In the first couple of months we had a little bit of trouble understanding it, but that’s OK. The query language is a little bit different. It never breaks.

I’ve spoken to them about 20 times after we started using Insights, and they were just brilliant. No doubt about it. Even the account manager could help direct resources to us to help solve issues. All we do is call the account manager and he would get us the correct person; we like to send all of the questions in an email in advance and we’d make arrangements to go through the issues or questions immediately in a meeting.

I was the one who recommended Insights. We implemented a trial for 60 days and we ended up saying yes. We love it. We do a lot of dashboard stuff. Especially the executive management, they just want to see what happened in a given week or time. What did the vendors do? What did the customers do? Who’s working on what?

It was pretty straightforward. We just put the DLLs into the solutions, make a couple of config changes for New Relic so it detects the name of the product or web app or whatever it’s trying to monitor, and just keep pushing customer attributes or whatever you want. It was very simple. Within 30 minutes you see customer attributes in the environment and it starts capturing.

I think we also looked at one or two. The first one we tried was New Relic. The reputation of the vendor – we decided to give New Relic a try after hearing about how it was used to fix the Affordable Care Act implementation. That’s how we heard about New Relic. We needed to set up monitoring and alert – when we saw New Relic we liked it and its ease of setup. We gave it a 30-day trial and after that there was no looking back.

What other advice do I have?

I really love it. I’m not a developer, but I can just walk up to a developer and ask them to push some data so I can see what’s going on. It’s very easy. The whole ease part; once the code is pushed I just wait to see what events occurred.

If they don’t want to build something on their own (and it all depends on company size resources, etc.) an APM solution is the right answer. Given we have only one infrastructure guy and he can manage all of this, and a small team, everyone can use it all for different purposes. Stress testing, load testing, and evaluating performance. Each team has different ideas about how to use the reports, so it’s good for everybody. Different skill set people can use the entire NR suite for different reasons. It’s the whole package.

it_user293898
.NET Web Development Manager at a music company with 501-1,000 employees
We've been able to create and report on custom metrics or events in real-time.

What is most valuable?

• Custom instrumentation/events. We use this tool are additional analytics and debugging.
  • With limited code, we can create and report on custom metrics or events in real-time. This allows us to quickly identify success rates of our efforts.

What needs improvement?

Joining datasets. Currently, it’s only possible to pull data from a single event type. It would be nice to do more of a SQL-like join, for example, CheckOut events with ItemsAddedToCartEvent.

I've been using it for one year, and alongside their APM, which I've been using for two years.

No issues encountered.

Really high. While we’ve never had any major issue, the ticket I’ve opened have received responses within a couple hours with quality answers.

We didn’t use any other solutions prior to this.

It was straightforward. On each of our servers, we installed the agent, added our key to a config, and then within minutes we were seeing metrics on our site.

In-house. Always start with your development or QA environment. While we had no issues, it’s best to take a dry run, and get a feel for how the app affects performance to see if the data is what you’re looking for.

I have no hard numbers detailing how much we get back for what we pay. However, as a dev-ops tool, it has been priceless. We are now able to pinpoint issues much quicker and can significantly reduce our downtime.

We did evaluate one additional tool but the install and integration was significantly more cumbersome.

The core reason we chose New Relic was the ease of us and the quality of the metrics it gave us. Within hours of demo-ing the product, we were already learning more about our application than we expected.