We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Micro Focus Operations Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus Operations Manager is #6 ranked solution in top Event Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give Micro Focus Operations Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. Micro Focus Operations Manager is most commonly compared to Operations Bridge: Micro Focus Operations Manager vs Operations Bridge. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is Micro Focus Operations Manager?

Micro Focus Operations Manager is infrastructure monitoring software that proactively performs root cause analysis to help you reduce the time to repair and the cost of operations management.

Micro Focus Operations Manager was previously known as HPE Operations Manager.

Download the Event Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Micro Focus Operations Manager Customers

MTS India

Micro Focus Operations Manager Video

Micro Focus Operations Manager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus Operations Manager pricing:
"The cost is very high."

Micro Focus Operations Manager Reviews

MiritGoldring
Delivery Manager at AMAN
Good custom dashboards and reports with an easy initial setup
  • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not complex at all."
  • "The pricing is a bit expensive for smaller companies."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used it for monitoring. We used the desk portal that you have for IT support. We also installed the OBi and the BBD to do a lot of the analytics and to prevent difficulties within the BBD dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution depends on a few factors. Sometimes if a user is working with, for example, Norton systems, and uses the consoles or monitoring desk ports, if they work with the system feed, they can present a performance report. It's very useful because users can do quite a bit of analytics just from that.

The core manager also allows for the creation of a custom dashboard, and users can use the cache from the dashboard which can include images. You can import the images to the custom dashboard and create basically whatever you want or need.

What needs improvement?

It depends on the contract a user holds with the company, but technical support could be improved. We work with a vendor of Micro Focus. If you need support for the OBi or BBD, you might be able to use R&D. If we need something we call R&D and get level one support.

The stability of the solution has become problematic and should be improved.

The pricing is a bit expensive for smaller companies.

If I recall we used the solution for an agency installation, or we used the site for monitoring agencies. For operations, if you have Micro Focus 2003 to 2008 you can do this.

The stability isn't so great. Stability was really good in the past, but now, even if you have software on the network the operating system is very problematic.

The solution is quite scalable. Even now, with the new system that they have. Recently, they changed the platform out to a licensed model and it's very easy to change the license if you need to grow. If you have an agent license you can apply it with the agent side license or with an APM induction license and scale up quite well.

On our client-side, we have a lot of users. We work with enterprise-level clients as well as smaller companies and have a lot of users on the system. This includes IT managers and operations center managers among others.

We've previously used a variety of other solutions.

We've worked with CA, Nagios Spectrum, Unicenter (which is the older version of Nagios), and Tivoli. Most customers have been on or are on Tivoli as well.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not complex at all.

The solution is easy to install, which is wonderful.

The pricing may be a bit high for smaller customers. If a customer doesn't have more than 2,000 users, they might prefer to go with an open-source option, which won't cost much, if anything. Smaller companies can find a lot of other solutions besides Micro Focus, which is more suited for larger companies.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Micro Focus as well as Microsoft and BMC and we're based in Isreal.

We use the on-premises deployment model. We don't use the cloud deployment model. A lot of the systems are not on the cloud yet.

We also internally developed a system on the AppSwitch platform to help our clients gain more advantage. We have it monitoring all systems.

If the customer is an enterprise-level customer with more than 1,500 or 2,000 users, Micro Focus can help. Users can do a lot on the IP in terms of the monitoring systems and will find a lot of boot code.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Seamless monitoring of both Windows and Unix servers, with a helpful application topology
  • "You can create an application topology that shows relationships between different components."
  • "The initial setup of this tool is complex for people who lack experience with it."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for centralized infrastructure and application monitoring. It will take monitoring data from other tools and contribute to the central repository. Sometimes it is integrated with the service desk to create incidents when something goes wrong.

I have used versions of this product for Windows and Linux, and they are slightly different.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the seamless monitoring of both Windows and Unix servers.

What needs improvement?

The advancement of this solution seems to have stalled. These types of products have a long history and it may be best to create a brand new application, from scratch. It is difficult to suggest significant improvements.

It would be great to improve the automatic discovery of application topology.

I have been using Micro Focus Operations Manager for more than six years.

We have had no issues with respect to stability.

Scalability has been good enough for our needs.

I have been in contact with Micro Focus support a few times and I would rate them a four out of five. Sometimes, they took to long to solve problems. The response time was always good, but it was the time it took to actually resolve the issue that was slow in some cases.

The initial setup is complex. It is not easy to understand how to correctly implement it for the first time. Subsequent implementations were much easier because we had some experience. You have to understand what you want to monitor before you start with the implementation, and a technical person is required.

The deployment takes approximately three to five months for a medium-sized implementation.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend.

Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Microsoft, BMC and others in Event Monitoring. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Operations Leader - Global Automation at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to install, stable, and you can control everything at the console level
  • "It's a very good product overall."
  • "The pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for incident management, and event automation.

How has it helped my organization?

In Micro Focus OBM, everything was controlled at the node level and now everything can be controlled at the console level.

What is most valuable?

It's a very good product overall.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

I have been using Micro Focus Operations Manager for ten years.

We are using the latest version.

It's very stable.

It's a scalable solution.

We have approximately 45,000 users in our organization.

We are only working with two products, one is Micro Focus Operations Manager, and the other is Orchestration, that we are trying.

It's very easy to install.

We have a team of 15 members to deploy, maintain, and support this solution.

The cost is very high.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to continue using this solution. We are already working on a new project using Micro Focus and I recommend it for other users.

I would rate Micro Focus Operations Manager a nine out of ten.