IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Knowage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Knowage is #12 ranked solution in top Reporting Tools and #18 ranked solution in top Business Intelligence Tools. PeerSpot users give Knowage an average rating of 8 out of 10. Knowage is most commonly compared to Microsoft BI: Knowage vs Microsoft BI. Knowage is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
Knowage Buyer's Guide

Download the Knowage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Knowage?

Knowage (formerly SpagoBI) has a 14-years history. The actual release is the 6.3.

Knowage offers FULL ANALYTICAL CAPABILITIES, with a special focus on big data analytics and comprehensive support to rich and multi-source data analysis. Knowage provides different modules, each one focused on a specific domain but mutually combinable (Big Data, Smart Intelligence, Enterprise Reporting, Location Intelligence, Performance Management, Predictive Analysis). Moreover, Knowage is an OPEN SOURCE solution: the source code is freely accessible, everyone is allowed to join the community and build the own business solution to ensure strategic decision-making and improved productivity.

Knowage suite is supported by Engineering Group, the leading Italian software and services company, with about 10,000 people and more than 50 offices worldwide. Maintenance and support services (such as trainings, migration support, proof-of-concepts, etc) are provided by Engineering Group (KNOWAGE Labs) under subscription.

Knowage was previously known as SpagoBI.

Knowage Customers

FIAT Group, Italian air navigation service provider,
Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Telecom Italia, ASL Genovese, San Giovanni Battista University Hospital

Knowage Video

Knowage Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Knowage pricing:
"Knowage is open-source, and an enterprise edition is also available."

Knowage Reviews

BlessingSithole - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at syntegra
Open-source with great embedding capabilities but the dashboards could be better
  • "The embedding feature is great."
  • "The dashboard components could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to embed reports. We are using it as a server to share our embedded reports.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of reporting, it gives us a central place to store all our reports. We can also do version control. Instead of just relying on emails to disperse our reports, having a central server to do this for us has helped our organization and has pushed us into a better place. It's simplified our reporting. We can test. There's room for testing reports before you deploy to other users and so forth. Just that functionality as well as their dashboards and the statistics you can collect on the usage of Knowage also helps our organization function effectively.

What is most valuable?

The solution is open-source and free to use.  The embedding feature is great. That's the most useful tool that we are getting out of Knowage. We also use a lot of Jasper reports in our ERP system. The fact that you can also deploy Jasper reports using Knowage is helpful.  We can also embed Knowage into our own applications. We've embedded it into our own ERP system.

What needs improvement?

The integration could be better. We've been struggling a bit with embedding it without the need to log on.  The dashboard components could be better. They could do a lot more. If you compare it with Power BI, for example, then you can see that they can do a lot more and have more components on the other side. If they could increase their components and then just reduce the bugs that come with the components as well it would be so much better.
Knowage
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Knowage. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for three years now. It's been a while.

For the most part, it's very stable. We've been growing as an organization, up to now, and it doesn't stress us out a lot. In terms of resource usage, like most Java systems, they tend to take up a lot of resources. The solution does have some bugs that need to be dealt with.

We have had to move to better cloud environments to have it running for a larger organization, however, in terms of its scalability, it has been impressive. We have 100 to 120 users on the solution currently. They are mostly in sales and finance. I wouldn't be privy to information about if the company will increase usage. We've been using it for the last few years. However, we definitely intend to keep going with probably only the Community Edition. We've got a lot out of it. Maybe somewhere down the line, we might go into the enterprise edition.

In terms of technical support, it's available. Since it's an open-source solution, we do have communities we can consult in terms of getting help. Since we don't use the enterprise edition, we're not entitled to too much. However, the community out there as well as the stack overflow offers enough support.

Before Knowage we were using SpagoBI. Aside from that, we're also using Power BI, however, with the costs related to Power BI and the flexibility, Knowage is way more affordable. With Power BI you are looking at $10 a user. With Knowage, if you can get the dashboards right, if you can implement reports properly, then it doesn't cost you a thing.

I know the initial setup is pretty straightforward. It doesn't take a long time to deploy. Even on your own personal computer, when you want to try it out, it doesn't take too long to get it running. For the initial setup, I'd say it's maybe a four out of five in terms of how easy it is.You need to add these Java dependencies and so forth, which can be a bit boring, however, it's almost perfect.To deploy Knowage usually takes about a day. In terms of the implementation strategy, it's just following the instructions that they give us on the installation and then just knowing how to handle the process. Usually, there is a group of engineers who do that for us and manage the server itself. If a team is knowledgeable, then it doesn't take a long time. When you need a new instance, it's very quick. The implementation strategy is based on just following instructions on the installation process from Knowage.  For deployment and maintenance, we need just maybe two people simply to monitor the traffic coming in. However, it's maintained by people who were doing other jobs like maintaining our other server. They just monitor the Knowage server and make sure that it's up and running and that there are no bugs. There are not too many bugs coming out from the debugger.

We handled the implementation in-house ourselves. We didn't need any assistance from integrators or consultants.

It's an open-source product; we use the open-source edition for Knowage.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users.  We're using the latest version of the solution.  I'd advise new users to give it a go. They need to be patient with the whole open-source package, however. It takes time to get up and going the way you want it to. It's not out of the box. Once you have it going, it's a sure way to save money and allow you to be innovative with your reporting. You can do a lot of things with Knowage that you wouldn't be able to do with other traditional reporting sites. It being open-source and very easy to configure, I'd give it a rating of seven out of 10. It's very usable. For us, we've managed to find the proper use case for it, as our system is also Java-based.

AbdulshukoorMohammed - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager Information Technology & Enterprise Applications Manager at OXFORD HOLDING
Easy to customize, cross-platform capable, and very stable
  • "We can easily do our own customizations."
  • "The only challenge here is that it's a Java-based platform. It requires very high technical skills."

What is our primary use case?

The advantage of the solution is we don't need to have any third-party tools to connect to the different databases. It has in-built features such as data mass and data warehousing. The big data concept is also included. It's very easy to implement graphical reports. We don't need to have a data warehouse for maintaining the historical data and things like that. We can achieve most of the goals without using third-party tools.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to get the historical reports you need based on the business requirements and this helps our executives for taking decisions.

It is cross-platform. We can use it on desktops and on mobile versions and we don't need to have a separate mobile version for this.

We can easily do our own customizations.

If you have a great technical team, it's a great option.

The solution can scale.

The product is stable.

What needs improvement?

When we come to the integration with the single sign-on facilities, that part is very challenging. In Power BI and other tools, it's very easy to integrate with active directory and single sign-on, and identity management is very easy in other business intelligence tools. However, when it comes to Knowage, it's a bit heavy, it's time-consuming sometimes, it's not very fast, and definitely not as fast as other business intelligence tools in terms of getting graphical reports.

The solution could be cheaper.

I've been using the solution for seven years. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. At the same time, it requires high levels of configuration. If we are implementing on-prem, it requires hardware requirements with high configurations for better performance.

On the executive level, we have five users. On a daily basis, the normal user count is around 10.

The potential to scale is moderate.

We do have technical support, and we pay for it. It's based on the agreement we have, we are subscribed to get a quick response, and we have to pay high costs.

The technical support is pretty good and we are satisfied with it.

I have experience with Power BI. Whether one or the other is better depends on the organization. If the organization is using the Microsoft cloud, then they should proceed with Power BI, which is easy for them to maintain and offers one platform for all the solutions.

However, if the organization has multiple platforms like Oracle and Microsoft, then it is better to go with a third-party solution for BI. Otherwise, it will be very expensive to integrate. That's why we use Knowage and Spago.

The initial setup is moderately difficult. It's not too hard or too complex. It's somewhere in the middle.

Since I was using Spago as the initial version, I did not face many challenges in implementing it and integrating it.

The solution does require maintenance and it's a bit expensive in terms of cost as it's a bit expensive for hiring and having a long-term relationship with the vendor.

They have different licensing models. I'm about 50% happy with the options available and the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

While we work with the on-premises deployment model, it is possible to use it via the cloud.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Knowage
June 2022
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Albert Masanja - PeerSpot reviewer
Margin Assurance Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable open source suite for modern business analytics with a useful replication feature
  • "I can't name the features the way the Knowage community calls them because I still don't know the lingo. However, I can describe them. I like the ability to join more than one report, set all fields on one end, and replicate that on the other reports. I like that a lot. I think it's one of the features that got me using Knowage. They have tables, and I like that too. They took SQL scripts and many other scripts and enabled them to even correlate with Python. That's also one of the best things about Knowage. You could also decide to get information per user role, and this is also a feature that I like in Knowage."
  • "It would be better if more resources were available to help us learn how to use it. I wanted to use Knowage for a more extended period, but learning materials around the product were not really available and were not really straightforward. I've also seen inconsistencies between versions. For example, under the tools, especially in the cockpit, the way you create reports is now different. You will also find some configurations within a particular state, like a line chart, which differs from version to version. I think consistency is an essential feature in a product, especially for business intelligence products."

What is our primary use case?

I created some tunnel processes and tunnel scripts in an Oracle database that helped me collect all aspects of profitability. We have around 14 million customers, and they generate a lot of records—for example, many activities like millions of records per day. I created a script that condensed that information and then aggregated that further to an activity level. I do it to determine if the company was profitable each month and understand if we have a positive or negative margin or a zero margin.

From there, I drill down to those customers that sort of caused that negative margin and try to analyze what caused that negative margin. For example, I look at what products or activities caused that negative margin. That's the analysis I do, and it gives me that access to tools. I could join two to three reports that help me analyze and drill down and export that information in whatever form I need.

What is most valuable?

I can't name the features the way the Knowage community calls them because I still don't know the lingo. However, I can describe them. I like the ability to join more than one report, set all fields on one end, and replicate that on the other reports. I like that a lot. I think it's one of the features that got me using Knowage.

They have tables, and I like that too. They took SQL scripts and many other scripts and enabled them to even correlate with Python. That's also one of the best things about Knowage. You could also decide to get information per user role, and this is also a feature that I like in Knowage.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if more resources were available to help us learn how to use it. I wanted to use Knowage for a more extended period, but learning materials around the product were not really available and were not really straightforward.

I've also seen inconsistencies between versions. For example, under the tools, especially in the cockpit, the way you create reports is now different. You will also find some configurations within a particular state, like a line chart, which differs from version to version. I think consistency is an essential feature in a product, especially for business intelligence products.

I have been using Knowage for about two or three years.

Knowage is a stable solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. Setting up isn't that hard. You install Knowage and choose which reporting engine you want to use. The deployment time depends on how many times you have used it because my first installation took a long time to figure out. But after you've got the gist of it, it's more or less straightforward.

I implemented this solution by myself.

Knowage is open-source, and an enterprise edition is also available.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that it's a great solution if you can push through that initial learning curve. If you can get the license, that will give you access to knowledge and access support. This will make your user experience is a lot better. It's a great product. It has a lot more features than many other BI tools. You can get the most out of machine learning, the best connectivity to Python, and it cuts across enterprise sections. For example, from data input to actual reporting and decision making. It's a great tool.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Knowage an eight.

Solution Architect at MIMOS Berhad
SpagoBI makes available a remarkable number of BI functionalities even if it adopts a free open source model.

What is our primary use case?

The health data warehouse is a centralized repository for data that allows organizations to store, integrate, recall, and analyze information.  Healthcare organizations may wish to use their warehouses perform clinical analytics using patient data stored in the EHR, or they may try to improve their financial forecasting by diving into business intelligence and revenue cycle analytics using claims and billing codes.

How has it helped my organization?

Making better decision using KPI, Peforming predictive analytics about each department/functional units

What is most valuable?

QbE(QueryByExample) using Hibernate Support for both Liferay and ExoPortal Data Mining using Weka

What needs improvement?

There are additional features such as Data Integration, Data Visualization, MobileBI, Cloud BI, Data enrichment and massaging should be implemented in the next release.

4 years.

Very rarely

3 (out of 5 scale)

3(out of 5 scale)

Yes, it is implemented in-house.

Still we are using community edition as the base. On top of this we have our own feature implementations.

What other advice do I have?

Study, Analyze and Compare the features with your specific requirement. Nice features available in SpagoBI compared with other Open-source BI are * Auditing * ColloborativeBI * QueryByExample * User Profiling Few of the missing features/support are * Ad-hoc reporting * Google Maps

Download our free Knowage Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022