Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Tivoli NetCool OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Tivoli NetCool is #9 ranked solution in top Network Management Applications. PeerSpot users give IBM Tivoli NetCool an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. IBM Tivoli NetCool is most commonly compared to SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager: IBM Tivoli NetCool vs SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager. IBM Tivoli NetCool is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Network Management Applications Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is IBM Tivoli NetCool?
IBM Tivoli Netcool delivers near real-time, consolidated event management across business infrastructure, data centers, complex networks and IT domains. The software provides full management and automation to help you deliver continuous uptime of business services and applications.

IBM Tivoli NetCool was previously known as Tivoli NetCool.

IBM Tivoli NetCool Customers
Claranet, Consolidated Communications, Telus, €sterreichische Bundesbahnen (€BB), Telekom Srbija, Bendigo Community Telco, Capgemini, Schweizerische Bundesbahnen (SBB)
IBM Tivoli NetCool Video

IBM Tivoli NetCool Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Tivoli NetCool pricing:
  • "It costs around 100k for every ten servers, which is lower than similar products from other vendors."
  • "Customers are required to pay a licensing fee."
  • "Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis."
  • IBM Tivoli NetCool Reviews

Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Has excellent support and there is a lot of helpful documentation online
    • "Support is one of the best aspects of this solution. NetCool is a good product that has good flexibility. There are a lot of documents available online which is one of the best features of IBM Tivoli Suite. Whenever an issue happens, rather than going to technical support, if you find the exact issue in Google, you can get tech notes for that particular issue."
    • "In terms of improvement, I would like to see more AIOps, Artificial Intelligent Operations in the next release. IBM develops new features for Power BI or Cognos Analytics, which is good. As of now, we use Cognos Analytics, we are not using Power BI. They have the Insight concept but we don't like that."

What is most valuable?

Support is one of the best aspects of this solution. NetCool is a good product that has good flexibility. There are a lot of documents available online which is one of the best features of IBM Tivoli Suite. Whenever an issue happens, rather than going to technical support, if you find the exact issue in Google, you can get tech notes for that particular issue.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, I would like to see more AIOps, Artificial Intelligent Operations in the next release. IBM develops new features for Power BI or Cognos Analytics, which is good. As of now, we use Cognos Analytics, we are not using Power BI. They have the Insight concept but we don't like that.

I have been using IBM Tivoli NetCool for around seven years.

It's stable. I've been working with the Tivoli Suite for seven years and it's very, very stable. IBM gives us good features compared to the market. They have good upgrades and good support.

Network Management Applications
    August 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, Broadcom and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: August 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

There are around five to six different users in my company who use this solution.

The initial setup was very easy. All of the documents and everything is there. There is a lot of documentation available. The technical team is able to do the installation based on the documentation that is available. It's easy to learn. The commands are also easy to learn.

The pricing is reasonable. It's reasonable because the support is very good. If there is ever an issue, we can ask them to resolve them so we don't struggle at all to use this solution.

What other advice do I have?

There is a concern about artificial intelligence concepts for Insights because it's a monitoring tool. It monitors all of the network-related or device-related alerts. Those alerts play a major, vital role in this finance or banking sector. If we were to have this artificial intelligence operation concept, it would be very good. Some new projects that we have require AIOps.

With respect to monitoring, other solutions can't compete with IBM.

I would rate this solution a nine and a half out of ten.

We now use Everbridge as a notification tool and we use ServiceNow for ticketing. If the Tivoli Suite had these features then we wouldn't have the need to pay for other solutions.

Chief Executive Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good for monitoring and good integration, however has a complex setup
    • "The solution has very good integration capabilities."
    • "The solution is too expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring. We're using a Tivoli stack.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very good integration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution is too expensive.

The product isn't the easiest to use. There's a lot of complexity and it isn't easy to manage.

The initial setup is not straightforward.

The product needs to provide better documentation to the users.

I've been using the solution for a while at this point. It's been about five years or so.

There are always a few bugs here and there. However, the main thing is that IBM is no longer investing in the solution anymore. Therefore, no bug fixes will be coming for those that still exist.

We have about 50 users on the solution currently.

As IBM is no longer investing in the solution, we won't be expanding usage.

IBM could improve its technical support in general. Their response times are pretty slow. I would say that we aren't fully satisfied with the level of service provided to us as users.

We didn't find the initial setup to be straightforward. It was rather complex, in fact. The documentation was just not that good and it made the process challenging.

The deployment process took a year. It wasn't too fast.

We have two engineers that assist in the maintenance of the solution currently.

The product is pretty costly. It's definitely not the least expensive option. We find the price to be too high.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with IBM.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest this product to others. There are other products right now that may be lighter in deployment and a lot less expensive.

Overall, I would rate the solution six out of ten. I'd rate it higher if they offered more integration potential, or, alternatively, if they create done cohesive product and offered more monitoring software without some many other parts.

Network Management Applications
    August 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    OmBachu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founding Partner at Guild Systems
    Good instrumentation and data gathering
    • "Tivoli NetCool allows us to grasp a lot of data that can be applied toward predictive analytics and auto-remediation."
    • "Tivoli NetCool's has medium scalability - there are some problems with its replications not being mature."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use Tivoli NetCool for network security and workload management.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Tivoli NetCool's most valuable feature is instrumentation.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, Tivoli NetCool should include new specification standards for network operations.

I've been working with Tivoli NetCool for about five years.

Tivoli NetCool is pretty stable.

IBM's technical support takes a long time to do root cause analysis, and we have to go through several levels of help before getting a solution.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup is complex, and deployment takes about three months. I would rate the ease of the setup process as two out of five.

The initial implementation requires a third-party team.

Tivoli NetCool definitely gives an ROI.

The licensing for Tivoli NetCool is on a subscription basis based on servers and installs. It costs around 100k for every ten servers, which is lower than similar products from other vendors. Support and maintenance are part of the licensing package.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise those looking into implementing Tivoli NetCool to check out other offerings from the same company as they have legacy offerings along with their latest offerings. I would give Tivoli NetCool a rating of eight out of ten.

Ahmed Hashem - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sales Account Manager at Future Systems | ITSM Solutions
    Reseller
    Easy to install and use, and reliable
    • "It's very easy to use."
    • "It's very easy to use."
    • "The installation could be simplified, and technical support could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Tivoli Netcool is used in financial payment companies and hospitals.

What is most valuable?

The Netcool solution is great.

It's very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The installation could be simplified, and technical support could be faster.

I have been selling IBM Tivoli Netcool for three years.

IBM Tivoli Netcool is a stable solution.

It's a scalable product. It is used in mega enterprises with 2,000 employees.

I have sold this solution two times, but I don't know exactly how many customers use it.

Technical support could be faster.

We were selling ServiceNow, but this is the old management, and the company has changed to a new management team. As a result, we are expanding our partnership to include IBM sales distributions. I don't sell any ServiceNow solutions.

We are also selling App Dynamics from Cisco. It's application performance management. I sold it more than three times to three different customers. It's simply a very professional application performance management solution. I have been selling it for two years.

The installation is not difficult but could be easier.

Maintenance is done monthly.

Customers are required to pay a licensing fee. Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution all of the time, based on the customer's needs. It has to match with their requirements.

I would rate IBM Tivoli Netcool a nine out of ten.

Download our free Network Management Applications Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, Broadcom, and more!
    Updated: August 2022