Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM Case Foundation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Case Foundation is #16 ranked solution in BPM Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Case Foundation an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. IBM Case Foundation is most commonly compared to IBM Business Automation Workflow: IBM Case Foundation vs IBM Business Automation Workflow. IBM Case Foundation is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
IBM Case Foundation Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Case Foundation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM Case Foundation?
IBM Case Foundation is for organizations that need to harness unstructured information and integrate it with business processes to drive critical business decisions. It enables organizations to create, manage and optimize case-based processes and is designed to decrease development costs while significantly improving process performance. Case Foundation links specific pieces of content with a structured workflow. It's an on ramp for organizations that choose to move from document-centric workflow solutions to the advanced capabilities of IBM Case Manager.

IBM Case Foundation was previously known as Case Foundation, FileNet Business Process Manager.

IBM Case Foundation Customers
Suncorp Group Limited
IBM Case Foundation Video

IBM Case Foundation Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Case Foundation pricing:
  • "IBM Case Foundation is a little expensive."
  • "This is not an expensive solution and we are using the standard license."
  • IBM Case Foundation Reviews

Tomislav Crnosija - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Good content management, helpful technical support, and an easy initial setup
    • "The most valuable feature is the content manager part of the file as it is very stable, robust, and reliable."
    • "The solution can be quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Mostly we are using the solution for the BPM part, however, we are also using all of the content manager parts for every customer. Every customer had these repositories deployed and used. And in a couple of customers, we are using the BPM part of the solution for customizing the business processes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the content manager part of the file as it is very stable, robust, and reliable. If you had to manage a couple of millions of documents you could do so without a problem.

The BPM part of the solution is also okay, however, we don't know if IBM will focus on the BPM part of this newest business automation workflow. We found that FileNet BPM was okay, with a couple of flags, yet still mostly okay.

What needs improvement?

For the account manager part, I don't know what could be improved. Everything looks fine. However, for the BPM part, they could improve some user experience or user interface features. We always have problems with the user interface. From version 3.5, we're using the workplace for the application. This was an IBM FileNet application that we were customized and adjusted for the customer. However, they had some private web application toolkit for building this application. It was not very open. We didn't use any other open-source features for improving that application. After that, they had an IBM content navigator, which is very customizable yet not very user-friendly - especially for our developer.

The other thing that they could improve is that when you change the workflow definition from the BPM, then when all workflows are started with the older definition there where they have to stay with the older definition and don't see the change for the older workflows. You have to wait for new workflows to start. Changes that you made in the BPM part of the FileNet, especially in the process designer, are not visible for the older workflows, and that's the biggest problem we had besides the user interface.

The solution can be quite expensive.

We've been using the solution for 15 years now.

IBM Case Foundation
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about IBM Case Foundation. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is okay. The stability is very good, especially with the content engine part. The reliability is also okay. I don't have any problems with that.

We had more than 3,000 people using the solution. I'm not sure which license deal we share with IBM, however, we probably have more than a couple of hundred people using FileNet so far.

We've used the solution a couple of times for some problems that we had in the production environment. The support was excellent. Excellent. We have no complaints.

For me, now, the initial setup is easy. That said, in the beginning, it is very, very confusing as you have to build and install many, many other things before the actual installation of IBM software. However, when they changed the process engine applications, which were before .NET and now is Java, it became easier. Still, you have to read the documentation carefully in terms of the installation guide. If you do, everything will be fine especially if you follow the rules. At the outset, it was not very, very straightforward, however, I must say.

The solution has the kind of licensing model where you can use FileNet a couple of times in a month. Many customers in our company are using that kind of license. We're not always connected. We sell the solution to our customers and they always find the solution very expensive. It's not a cheap product.

What other advice do I have?

We're an IBM partner.

We use a few different versions of the solution, including 5.1, the narrow version, and 5.5.6, the highest version.

Whether this solution makes sense depends on a customer's needs. If the customer wants to implement some business processes that involve many documents and collaboration spaces, and that includes some business processes where many people are involved, Case Foundation is a very good solution for them.

I'd rate the solution a nine out of ten. The product is very, very reliable, and very stable - especially the content manager part of the FileNet. It was very easy to build some business processes in the BPM model of FileNet. However, we'd like to see improvements in the user interface and improvements to the IBM content navigator part of the solution.

Ahmed Alaswadi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Account Technology Specialist & Presales Consultant (Microsoft & IBM) at EBLA
    Harness and integrate unstructured information with business processes
    • "The content management is great."
    • "90% of the feedback we receive states that the UI is not very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We have an in-house management solution that is built on top of IBM Case Foundation. For this reason, we have to be up-to-date with the current versions.

Within my organization, including engineers and the testing team, there are about 70 employees. If we include our clients that we assist with deployment and training, then we are talking about tens of thousands of people.

For each project, our development team consists of a few project managers, one systems engineer, and a few developers.

What is most valuable?

The content management is great. It features row-based access. It allows for broad-based access not only to the documents themselves but within the content. You can use the templates from existing documents for employee onboarding.

There is also a predefined search option that uses icons to retrieve any information you have from different sites and folders.

What needs improvement?

90% of the feedback we receive states that the UI is not very user-friendly.

The icons and images should be bigger. Initially, I felt a bit lost but after a while, I got used to it — with a bit of practice, you can get used to anything.

From my first impression, it just looked like a white page with some small icons. Another thing that is really high in demand here, especially in Qatar, is proper Arabic translation capabilities. Arabic is very high in demand, not just in Qatar but in the Middle East as a whole and Africa. When you translate it into Arabic, the labels and the interface translate pretty poorly — interface only, capability wise, it's fine.

I have been using this solution since 2016.

IBM Case Foundation is both scalable and flexible. Our clients also agree that it's extendible, flexible and stable.

We deliver support to our clients. We have a full team that consists of around nine engineers. We have channels through email, phone, and a portal where our customers can ask questions and receive support. The portal is monitored by a hub controlled by the ministry of transportation and communication.

This hub is the center of the whole government that provides the licenses. They check the quality of the vendors: how they interact with them, the support level; all of this is monitored by them.

I used to use SharePoint, but I can't compare the two. I used SharePoint simply for static content and website building.

I was not involved in the installation process. We have a team of engineers who handled the initial setup.

When we installed it over top of our existing solution, overall, deployment took us eight days — four days for staging and four days until we were ready for production.

For Case Foundation alone, implementation takes no more than six days.

IBM Case Foundation is a little expensive.

It can be purchased separately, but it's also sold and included in the Automation Pack from IBM.

A cloud pack for automation consists of Case Foundation, VPM, Case Manager, Decision Management, Data Cap — all of them together under one license. In this way, the price is reasonable because they are all together.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM Case Foundation a rating of eight.

IBM Case Foundation
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    PauloSousa - PeerSpot reviewer
    ECM BPM Senior Team Leader at a marketing services firm with 11-50 employees
    A versatile product that can work with many different technologies
    • "It is easy to set up workflows that notify the user depending on certain events."
    • "Once a workflow is launched then it stays static forever, which is a problem because if there is a change in the business then you cannot change the workflow."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and this is one of the solutions that I work with. This product is used by very large production companies for creating workflows.

What is most valuable?

It is well integrated with documents and document management from IBM. It's a data-driven solution that is very good.

What needs improvement?

This product is still attached to some things from the past, on the way that it was built, and there are some things that should be improved, but those who work with it know how to work around these difficulties.

Once a workflow is launched then it stays static forever, which is a problem because if there is a change in the business then you cannot change the workflow. You either stop the process and relaunch it at the place that it was, or you're going to leave with a process that is running. There are other products like IBM Lombardi or IBM BPM where it's easy, under certain conditions, to change the running workflows to the new business logic.

I have been working with IBM Case Foundation since 1998, just over 20 years ago.

Case Foundation is a stable product.

This is a scalable solution. My clients for this product are very large companies such as banks, IT, phone companies, and government.

In 2006, they were bought by IBM and the IBM technical support handles requests. The quality of support depends a lot on the people that you talk to. IBM has many people and many products, and sometimes you find people with different levels of experience. Because of this, it can take them longer to get answers to your question. That said, when you find the right person, it's okay.

I think that the initial setup is usually okay if you just run the installation and use the default settings. You won't have any problems and it's easy, but there are a lot of technologies behind it. There is the verification server, IBM WebSphere or Oracle WebLogic. The database can be Microsoft SQL, IBM DB2, or Oracle, and they can be running either on Linux or Windows.

With so much technology that can be used in different configurations, if you aren't familiar with all of them then it could be hard. At the same time, the solution is versatile and can work well with many different technologies.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Case Foundation is to keep the design as simple as possible because the workflows are very static. If you try to change it a lot, you will make it very complex and you will have problems. You should use and maintain business rules outside of the main workflow because if you have some rule that changes then the workflow stays the same, most of the time.

Overall, this is a good product.

SaidGaga - PeerSpot reviewer
    Self employed ECM BPM Senior Consultant - Project Manager at Gacosi
    Easy to use, reliable, and simple to capable of expanding
    • "It's very easy."
    • "The cloud version could use more stability."

What is our primary use case?

We have a contract with the customer. It is a support contract around the finance platform, which includes, among others, Case Foundation and IBM Content Navigator.

The use case depends on the customers. Sometimes it is used in the front end for users. Sometimes it is used out as an ESP, just offering backend services.

What is most valuable?

It's great for the financial sector. When we are working in Business Logic, it's great, especially when we are talking about putting together some Business Process Management workflows.

It's very easy. It's very simple to maintain, which is not the case for other products.

The solution is stable.

It is scalable.

What needs improvement?

Once clients go to the cloud and want to roll back to on-premises, they find that to be very difficult.

The initial setup can be complex.

The cloud version could use more stability.

We've used the solution for a while. I've used it for eight years.

The solution is stable and the performance is good. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. It's no problem when it comes to expanding the solution. Of course, it depends on the hardware. If you plan for scalability in the hardware, you'll be fine.

I've dealt with support. They are okay.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I'm working with lots of products, especially ECM, Enterprise Content Management and BPM, and Business Process Management.

We previously used Microsoft SharePoint.

I didn't switch since I'm native. I'm a consultant in the ECM and BPM area. I'm working with a lot. I'm a consultant, effectively in IBM Finance. However, I'm also a Functional or Business Consultant and Technical Consultant in other products also.

It can be difficult to set up. This is true, especially for someone who doesn't know the product.

It's very important to have an understanding. It's a good product. However, you have to put in lots of time to really understand the platform and to have some skills.

The deployment itself takes several days.

The maintenance can be done by one person, although it would be challenging.

We handle the deployment ourselves. We do not need any outside assistance.

I don't have insights into the exact pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a user. I'm a consultant. My company is a partner with IBM.

I'm not in the latest version. The version I use depends on the customer's version. Not all customers are in the last upgraded version.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

IT Department Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A stable repository for our documents and processes

What is our primary use case?

We use this product mostly as a document database.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped us because we are a financial institution and it works as a repository for unstructured documents.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its stability, which is why we are using it.

What needs improvement?

This is a very stable solution and I use it on a daily basis. It has not been a problem.

Scalability has not been a problem. We have more than 400 users.

The setup and deployment were completed before I joined the company.

This is not an expensive solution and we are using the standard license.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.