IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

vCenter Orchestrator OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vCenter Orchestrator is #8 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools. PeerSpot users give vCenter Orchestrator an average rating of 8 out of 10. vCenter Orchestrator is most commonly compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): vCenter Orchestrator vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA). vCenter Orchestrator is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
vCenter Orchestrator Buyer's Guide

Download the vCenter Orchestrator Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is vCenter Orchestrator?
VMware vCenter Orchestrator simplifies the automation of complex IT tasks and integrates with VMware vCloud Suite components to adapt and extend service delivery and operational management, effectively working with existing infrastructure, tools and processes.
vCenter Orchestrator Customers
Beiersdorf Shared Services
vCenter Orchestrator Video

vCenter Orchestrator Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vCenter Orchestrator pricing:
  • "The licensing module is somewhat complex. Calculating the cost is complicated. Many of our clients are unclear about the billing system and the traffic metering."
  • "The concept of hyper-convergence is smart. I don't know if it can be applied with less cost to be more affordable for small or medium-sized companies. The cost is a very important factor for it. We are currently depending on SAN storage. However, the hyper-converged solutions are depending on the storage within the hosts, such as vSAN in the VMware. It is a smart solution."
  • "We pay a yearly fee, based on our entries."
  • "The price is reasonable, and one of the reasons that this product was selected."
  • vCenter Orchestrator Reviews

LalitSharma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Consultant at DXC
    Enables us to do administration on a centralized layer when using multiple VMware ESX servers
    • "If I need to do DR, VMware can enable me to use vMotion, which requires use of vCenter. You cannot do vMotion without vCenter. We do a lot of automation, orchestration, and simplification for that purpose."
    • "Many times, customers' licenses are not used because the client is not aware of the features and the product benefits. When somebody is buying a product, they just do a default configuration."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a reseller of this solution.  I use vCenter if I need to do administration on a centralized layer when using multiple VMware ESX servers. I'm able to manage the VMware environment where all of the VMware machines and multiple ESX are hosted. There are multiple versions of this solution available. We have more than 100,000 people in my organization. We have over 500 customers. If I look at the landscape, I have more than 300 customers, whose landscape in terms of number of servers is more than 10,000. For the virtualization, at least 60 or 70% is running on VMware.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Many times, customers' licenses are not used because the client is not aware of the features and the product benefits. When somebody is buying a product, they just do a default configuration. Then, a really qualified person will do an assessment of existing stuff and realize that 60% of products are not well configured, and some licenses are not used. The client will be struggling because the benefit they want to achieve out of these automations isn't achieved to the maximum.  I think an organization should be in a discovery session to look at what is unused because Microsoft offers a lot of things. If someone has too many unused licenses, why don't they move to the cloud and optimize the cost? Microsoft is proactive to help large customers reduce cost. In the case of vCenter, those initiatives are not there. We are looking for more consolidation on optimization through VMware. We are dependent on directly working with VMware because the product launch and product knowledge within the companies are limited within the day-to-day operation. For example, we work with Dell. Dell is selling VMware and other products. Dell has given us dedicated resources in our office. I'm not sure if there's an agreement VMware has done with customers to start giving free consulting, advising, and solution support – at least for large customers – so that the virtual landscape is more optimized and scalable. When I speak with various other people who have legacy knowledge of VMware on-premises, they are not spending time learning about the products and the enhancements VMware is doing. They don't really have the understanding of how VMware can help to have a virtual firewall, the vCenter on-premises server being moved to the cloud, and the cloud being moved to on-premises. VMware has a product that can enable me to have on-premises storage, replicated to cloud, and then cloud being replicated to on-premises through vCenter.This becomes very challenging because if I propose anything as the enterprise architect, I cannot have a sign off until my delivery gives a sign off. If they have not experienced this, they're dependent on third parties to do so. These are some of the gaps I see: knowledge, product knowledge, use cases, and pre POC.

I have been using this solution for more than eight years.
    vCenter Orchestrator
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about vCenter Orchestrator. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's very scalable depending on the architecture.

There is absolutely ROI, especially for medium to large customers. Microsoft is much cheaper for smaller clients who don't have large applications because Microsoft Windows license allows them to have multiple extensions running on the hardware or hyperware they're using. When it comes to the large environment and multiple data centers, vCenter is unbeatable in terms of virtualization benefits to customers.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10. VMware has been doing a lot of investment and acquisition in all the possible domains in terms of securities, etc. It's not a 10 because of the lack of imparting knowledge to customers. For a new customer, I always say that whatever environment you have, you should have an understanding with VMware to have free advising and consulting so that you'll have the right products. With a third party vendor, they try to make a maximum sale and include products that are sometimes not required.
    MustafaKafi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Application Developer at teleyemen
    • "The most crucial feature of vCenter is its scalability. We can use it to expand our network, so we don't have to report our client devices. The network configuration features are also helpful because we can migrate entire networks."
    • "VMware tools would benefit from more automation. When installing our devices and servers, we often need to install the VMware tools manually. This process should be automated during the VM installation process."

What is our primary use case?

In our first program, we used the VCF to provide searches for our clients, then we opened our service to the public, so we changed from VCF to a VC and VCB program. We have an infrastructure software data center that we need to manage and handle all our clients' requests.

We use PCD and vCenter. On top of that, we provide the PCD as a service for our clients. We give them a portal to access the resources they request. The services include site recovery, policy updates, etc.

What is most valuable?

The most crucial feature of vCenter is its scalability. We can use it to expand our network, so we don't have to report our client devices. The network configuration features are also helpful because we can migrate entire networks.

For example, we have a disaster recovery site that stores all our network configurations, so our clients can move from one site to another. We can use load balancing for the same problem. If the server or hypervisor is fully loaded, we can easily move some devices or VMs to another site.

We use the VLS Orchestrator with vCenter and create templates, allowing our clients to access and collect administration for their services. They manage the IT-critical stuff they implement, so we can provide them with pre-built solutions and templates.

What needs improvement?

VMware tools would benefit from more automation. When installing our devices and servers, we often need to install the VMware tools manually. This process should be automated during the VM installation process.

We've been using Orchestrator for seven or eight months.

Orchestrator is stable, but we have some problems with access. There are some performance issues when we use the VMs. For example, there is some latency when I access the management device, but the device itself is stable and working very well.

I rate VMware support four out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

VMware is the first virtual solution, system, or ecosystem that we used.

The installation process was smooth except for a few complications with DNS and the certificate, but you typically need a lot of staff to help you install it. We don't need a dedicated person to perform maintenance. When a problem happens, we can call support to fix it, or we do it ourselves remotely if we have experience.

We used a third-party consultant to help us implement the solution.

The licensing module is somewhat complex. Calculating the cost is complicated. Many of our clients are unclear about the billing system and the traffic metering. I think we pay for revenue sharing on the VCB program, but we had a VCF program in the beginning. I don't have enough information about licensing. But when we converted from the VCF to the VCB program, the licensing module changed to revenue sharing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate vCenter Orchestrator nine out of 10. It's a great solution that can help any starting company that needs to provide vCloud to their customers. It's scalable, stable, technical, and responsive. If you're deploying vCenter, you need to understand the infrastructure.

vCenter Orchestrator
    June 2022
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    UnmeshDeshpande - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at Kingsway Hospitals
    Central point for configuring, provisioning, and managing virtualized IT environments
    • "The open, flexible architecture has brought in the agile computing environment along with better Dr capabilities. Automation management and operational tasks across VMware and third-party applications, like our HMIS and other business productivity applications, have delivered peace of mind."
    • "It is practically difficult at this stage to really comment on the improvisations of V central. But more tech events and PoC cases would help the EA to design better solutions and utilization."

What is our primary use case?

We are a healthcare establishment. The main essence here is the 24X7X365 availability. This was possible due to virtualization. The best-suited candidate for the virtualization was VMware as the technical resources are easily available in the market. The Virtualization standards offered by VMware are defacto industry norms. This enabled us to have better resiliency and dynamic fail-over cluster for our application server and the databases. Using the virtualizes such as VMware, we achieved HPE SimpliVity Snapshot performance due to the capabilities of vCenter deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

The open, flexible architecture has brought in the agile computing environment along with better Dr capabilities. Automation management and operational tasks across VMware and third-party applications, like our HMIS and other business productivity applications, have delivered peace of mind. Automation is the KPI of any IT Lead organization. The healthcare industry is no exception to this. We were able to automate the business logic for provisioning, de-provisioning, HA, and clustering of our virtualized environment. This has reduced the manpower as well. Some more addition to the op-ex reduction of the organization.

What is most valuable?

VMware vSphere includes the components and features that fulfill most of the imaginations of a Virtualization expert. A virtualization layer that runs on physical servers that abstracts processor, memory, storage, and resources into multiple virtual machines. The central point for configuring, provisioning, and managing virtualized IT environments.

The essence that is served is on the spot provisioning of the compute nodes and infrastructure in a virtualized manner

Effective time saving, diminished manual errors, complex IT workflow, and reduced operational cost has resulted in increasing our IT Application Service value proposition by many folds

What needs improvement?

As a customer and a DC Architect, it would be great if more self-learning resources are made available online. One on one sessions from VM ware for rapidly growing organizations like us will further strengthen the intent of embracing the product portfolio from VMWare. A couple of the pointer in this regards can be as below:

1. Quarterly technology reviews from the OEM.

2. Consultation and handholding

3. Opex Model

I have been using vCenter for two years.

It is very reliable and stable.

Performance of the solution is as planned on the drawing board.

The support from OEM and the Vendor has been good, though it was required only a few times at the very initial stages.

We have always been with VMware.

The implementation was straightforward.

Implemented through a vendor team. The expertise of Vintech was far above the expectation. A sure shot A+.

It generally meets expectations. The pricing could be a little better.

Acropolis from Nutanix.

Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable with good technical support and an easy initial setup
    • "The solution is pretty stable and reliable."
    • "There can be compatibility issues."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for service enablement applications. Those are the applications running there.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers one central view. The VMotion is good. It's easy to put it into service and maintenance mode if needed. I'm an architect, however, my team is more hands-on day-to-day, and they know about the solution in detail.

The initial setup has been pretty straightforward, and the team, in general, has been happy with the process.

The solution is pretty stable and reliable.

Technical support is very good at taking a deep dive into issues.

What needs improvement?

On the KVM side, we really don't have anything. There we have a gap. It's a very small deployment on the KVM side, however, it would be ideal if we were able to properly use all the resources and get the full performance of the platform.

On the orchestration side, we're lacking the KVM part as well.

There can be compatibility issues. We need to keep track of different versions of the software. For example, we're still on E6 I6 6.5. In some cases, we can't upgrade to Red Hat 8 yet, for compatibility reasons. Every time we do, we have to be applying HPE firmware and stuff. Sometimes we run into complications and we have to stage everything in the lab just to make sure all the versions are compatible. There's this forward and backward compatibility of different software you need to constantly be aware of.

I've been dealing with the solution maybe for five years at this point. I've used it for a while now.

The solution is mostly stable, so long as there aren't compatibility issues between different pieces of software. Mostly, it's reliable.

Typically, I don't deal with technical support issues. I'm not in that area. That said, it's my understanding that we have gotten a pretty good, deep analysis of the issues at hand when we have had tickets open in the past. My team seems satisfied with the level of support given to them.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's very simple and straightforward.

Our team can handle it with ease. We don't need the assistance of integrators or consultants.

Our customers are the ones that hold the licensing. We just provide services. Therefore, I cannot speak to any exact costs or licensing agreements.

What other advice do I have?

We provide services to customers. However, we are users of the product.

I don't know of any better VM environment. I would rate this solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities so far.

Ahmed Mahrous - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
    Powerful, stable, and very reliable
    • "vCenter Orchestrator is very reliable and stable."
    • "I did not do the initial setup. However, it was complex at the beginning."

What is our primary use case?

I used vCenter Orchestrator for our servers, such as database, Active Directory, and antivirus servers. Our internal servers have approximately five hosts and we are hosting approximately 19 servers on them.

I have been using the vCenter Orchestrator for approximately 10 years.

vCenter Orchestrator is very reliable and stable.

The scalability of the vCenter Orchestrator is not easy to do because it is depending on the hardware that is used. You cannot scale the solution easily.

We have approximately 150 people in my organization using this solution. Our company is a law firm, people from multiple roles are using it, such as administrative lawyers, attorneys, IT, sales, HR, and accounting. All departments are using the solution because all our servers are deployed using VMware. We don't have any standalone service. The solution is widely used in our company and we have plans to expand.

I have used the support a couple of times in the online communities. I have not used professional support from VMware.

I have used Hyper-V previously.

I did not do the initial setup. However, it was complex at the beginning.

What other advice do I have?

I am looking to expand our operation. However, approximately two years ago  I was searching for a flexible solution and I came to the hyper-converged solution. I was doing some comparisons, but as it was very expensive to replace our current environment. I'm searching for a solution to somehow expand our environment or do another environment parallel to our current one.

I would advise others to try solutions, such as Hyper-V. I have tried it in a test environment and I think it is very promising and it is easy to use. However, VMware is very powerful, stable, and very reliable, but I advise them to try  Hyper-V and VMware.

I rate vCenter Orchestrator a nine out of ten.

VivekSaini - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Consultant at Aon Corporation
    Priced well, easy to install, and has responsive technical support
    • "We have excellent technical support. They have always been helpful when we have needed them."
    • "I would like to have an interface that can manage both on-premises and cloud solutions from a single console, where we can easily manage the resources that are being used or at least applications. Whereby clicking here and there from on-premises to cloud, or cloud to on-premises, depending on the requirements. If that can be accomplished, it will be extremely beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

We have a separate team that is responsible for managing the vCenter. We Are a product for the general public.

vCenter Orchestrator is used for everything, any database can be used with any middleware. Everything is managed through vCenter.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have an interface that can manage both on-premises and cloud solutions from a single console, where we can easily manage the resources that are being used or at least applications. Whereby clicking here and there from on-premises to cloud, or cloud to on-premises, depending on the requirements. If that can be accomplished, it will be extremely beneficial.

I have been working with vCenter Orchestrator for more than five or six years.

Currently, we have the most recent version, and we used both Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS for the cloud.

vCenter Orchestrator is a stable solution.

vCenter Orchestrator is scalable.

We have approximately 50,000 users in our organization.

We are working with Red Hat versions six, seven, and eight as well as BigFix, and JBOSS. JBOSS, on the other hand, is used by a different team, a middleware team. We are system administrators, and we are using the infrastructure component, which is the operating system.

For managing, we are using VMware cloud management, vRA.

The initial setup is straightforward. We are experienced with this solution. We have multiple data centers.

We pay a yearly fee, based on our entries. For now, the price is fine. We can't say whether it's expensive or not until we compare it to other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vCenter Orchestrator a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Thomas Chan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Assistant Manager System at Pro-Technic Machinery Ltd
    Makes it easy to manage VMs, reasonably-priced, and the technical support is helpful
    • "The most valuable feature is how easy it makes it to manage the VM."
    • "When the SSO certificate needs to be renewed, the upgrading and testing are quite complicated."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is how easy it makes it to manage the VM. In our case, that is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The product is not quite easy to use and needs improvement in that regard.

When the SSO certificate needs to be renewed, the upgrading and testing are quite complicated. We faced this issue just three months ago.

I have been working with vCenter Orchestrator for between three and four years.

For what we use it for, it has been quite stable.

It is a scalable product and we have between 60 and 70 end-users. We do not plan to increase usage within the new few years.

Technical support is quite good and quite helpful.

Prior to vCenter Orchestrator, we did not work with a similar solution.

There are a lot of steps that have to be done using the command line and the documentation doesn't cover the entire process. The knowledge base was not open to the public so it was not easy to resolve the issue that we were having. We had to ask for support.

We had support from the vendor for our deployment.

Two people are in place to support this product and perform maintenance.

The price is reasonable, and one of the reasons that this product was selected.

We evaluated Microsoft System Center Orchestrator at the same time, but vCenter is the solution that was chosen. One of the reasons that we chose it was the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Syed Nouman Ali Rizvi - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    Good management tools and distributed resource scheduler, but the GUI should be enhanced
    • "The backup and recovery times are very quick."
    • "The GUI should be enhanced in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We recently deployed a SAN in our office and the servers deploy on vCenter Orchestrator.

We also have a wireless deployment for different controllers, and we have many ERD solutions in our office that are hosted on VMware technology.

Many of our older, physical servers are being converted into VMs, and then we use vCenter Orchestrator with them as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS).

The backup and recovery times are very quick.

The management tools are very good.

What needs improvement?

I think that vSAN can be improved.

The GUI should be enhanced in the future.

I have been working with vCenter Orchestrator for probably three years.

vCenter Orchestrator is a stable product.

Scalability has not been an issue. In one project, we have between 2,500 and 3,000 users.

The VMware technical support is good.

The initial setup is straightforward. Including the training that we had from the training center, our deployment took place over about six months.

We evaluated and analyzed several similar products and we selected VMware as being most suitable for our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering vCenter Orchestrator is to first collect all of their requirements or the requirements of the client. These are the basic steps and once everything is understood, the products can be properly selected.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free vCenter Orchestrator Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022