vCenter Orchestrator OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vCenter Orchestrator is the #8 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools. PeerSpot users give vCenter Orchestrator an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. vCenter Orchestrator is most commonly compared to VMware Aria Automation: vCenter Orchestrator vs VMware Aria Automation. vCenter Orchestrator is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
vCenter Orchestrator Buyer's Guide

Download the vCenter Orchestrator Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is vCenter Orchestrator?
VMware vCenter Orchestrator simplifies the automation of complex IT tasks and integrates with VMware vCloud Suite components to adapt and extend service delivery and operational management, effectively working with existing infrastructure, tools and processes.
vCenter Orchestrator Customers
Beiersdorf Shared Services
vCenter Orchestrator Video

vCenter Orchestrator Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vCenter Orchestrator pricing:
  • "The licensing module is somewhat complex. Calculating the cost is complicated. Many of our clients are unclear about the billing system and the traffic metering."
  • "The concept of hyper-convergence is smart. I don't know if it can be applied with less cost to be more affordable for small or medium-sized companies. The cost is a very important factor for it. We are currently depending on SAN storage. However, the hyper-converged solutions are depending on the storage within the hosts, such as vSAN in the VMware. It is a smart solution."
  • "We pay a yearly fee, based on our entries."
  • "The licensing cost is manageable because they have different versions available, standard, essential, and advanced."
  • "We provide the VMware solution to our clients, for which they pay a perpetual license."
  • vCenter Orchestrator Reviews

LalitSharma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Consultant at DXC
    Enables us to do administration on a centralized layer when using multiple VMware ESX servers
    • "If I need to do DR, VMware can enable me to use vMotion, which requires use of vCenter. You cannot do vMotion without vCenter. We do a lot of automation, orchestration, and simplification for that purpose."
    • "Many times, customers' licenses are not used because the client is not aware of the features and the product benefits. When somebody is buying a product, they just do a default configuration."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a reseller of this solution.

I use vCenter if I need to do administration on a centralized layer when using multiple VMware ESX servers. I'm able to manage the VMware environment where all of the VMware machines and multiple ESX are hosted.

There are multiple versions of this solution available. We have more than 100,000 people in my organization. We have over 500 customers. If I look at the landscape, I have more than 300 customers, whose landscape in terms of number of servers is more than 10,000. For the virtualization, at least 60 or 70% is running on VMware.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Many times, customers' licenses are not used because the client is not aware of the features and the product benefits. When somebody is buying a product, they just do a default configuration.

Then, a really qualified person will do an assessment of existing stuff and realize that 60% of products are not well configured, and some licenses are not used. The client will be struggling because the benefit they want to achieve out of these automations isn't achieved to the maximum.

I think an organization should be in a discovery session to look at what is unused because Microsoft offers a lot of things. If someone has too many unused licenses, why don't they move to the cloud and optimize the cost? Microsoft is proactive to help large customers reduce cost. In the case of vCenter, those initiatives are not there.

We are looking for more consolidation on optimization through VMware. We are dependent on directly working with VMware because the product launch and product knowledge within the companies are limited within the day-to-day operation.

For example, we work with Dell. Dell is selling VMware and other products. Dell has given us dedicated resources in our office. I'm not sure if there's an agreement VMware has done with customers to start giving free consulting, advising, and solution support – at least for large customers – so that the virtual landscape is more optimized and scalable.

When I speak with various other people who have legacy knowledge of VMware on-premises, they are not spending time learning about the products and the enhancements VMware is doing. They don't really have the understanding of how VMware can help to have a virtual firewall, the vCenter on-premises server being moved to the cloud, and the cloud being moved to on-premises. VMware has a product that can enable me to have on-premises storage, replicated to cloud, and then cloud being replicated to on-premises through vCenter.

This becomes very challenging because if I propose anything as the enterprise architect, I cannot have a sign off until my delivery gives a sign off. If they have not experienced this, they're dependent on third parties to do so. These are some of the gaps I see: knowledge, product knowledge, use cases, and pre POC.

I have been using this solution for more than eight years.

vCenter Orchestrator
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about vCenter Orchestrator. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's very scalable depending on the architecture.

There is absolutely ROI, especially for medium to large customers. Microsoft is much cheaper for smaller clients who don't have large applications because Microsoft Windows license allows them to have multiple extensions running on the hardware or hyperware they're using. When it comes to the large environment and multiple data centers, vCenter is unbeatable in terms of virtualization benefits to customers.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

VMware has been doing a lot of investment and acquisition in all the possible domains in terms of securities, etc. It's not a 10 because of the lack of imparting knowledge to customers.

For a new customer, I always say that whatever environment you have, you should have an understanding with VMware to have free advising and consulting so that you'll have the right products. With a third party vendor, they try to make a maximum sale and include products that are sometimes not required.

MustafaKafi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Application Developer at teleyemen
    • "The most crucial feature of vCenter is its scalability. We can use it to expand our network, so we don't have to report our client devices. The network configuration features are also helpful because we can migrate entire networks."
    • "VMware tools would benefit from more automation. When installing our devices and servers, we often need to install the VMware tools manually. This process should be automated during the VM installation process."

What is our primary use case?

In our first program, we used the VCF to provide searches for our clients, then we opened our service to the public, so we changed from VCF to a VC and VCB program. We have an infrastructure software data center that we need to manage and handle all our clients' requests.

We use PCD and vCenter. On top of that, we provide the PCD as a service for our clients. We give them a portal to access the resources they request. The services include site recovery, policy updates, etc.

What is most valuable?

The most crucial feature of vCenter is its scalability. We can use it to expand our network, so we don't have to report our client devices. The network configuration features are also helpful because we can migrate entire networks.

For example, we have a disaster recovery site that stores all our network configurations, so our clients can move from one site to another. We can use load balancing for the same problem. If the server or hypervisor is fully loaded, we can easily move some devices or VMs to another site.

We use the VLS Orchestrator with vCenter and create templates, allowing our clients to access and collect administration for their services. They manage the IT-critical stuff they implement, so we can provide them with pre-built solutions and templates.

What needs improvement?

VMware tools would benefit from more automation. When installing our devices and servers, we often need to install the VMware tools manually. This process should be automated during the VM installation process.

We've been using Orchestrator for seven or eight months.

Orchestrator is stable, but we have some problems with access. There are some performance issues when we use the VMs. For example, there is some latency when I access the management device, but the device itself is stable and working very well.

I rate VMware support four out of five.

Positive

VMware is the first virtual solution, system, or ecosystem that we used.

The installation process was smooth except for a few complications with DNS and the certificate, but you typically need a lot of staff to help you install it. We don't need a dedicated person to perform maintenance. When a problem happens, we can call support to fix it, or we do it ourselves remotely if we have experience.

We used a third-party consultant to help us implement the solution.

The licensing module is somewhat complex. Calculating the cost is complicated. Many of our clients are unclear about the billing system and the traffic metering. I think we pay for revenue sharing on the VCB program, but we had a VCF program in the beginning. I don't have enough information about licensing. But when we converted from the VCF to the VCB program, the licensing module changed to revenue sharing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate vCenter Orchestrator nine out of 10. It's a great solution that can help any starting company that needs to provide vCloud to their customers. It's scalable, stable, technical, and responsive. If you're deploying vCenter, you need to understand the infrastructure.

vCenter Orchestrator
    November 2022
    653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable with good technical support and an easy initial setup
    • "The solution is pretty stable and reliable."
    • "There can be compatibility issues."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for service enablement applications. Those are the applications running there.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers one central view. The VMotion is good. It's easy to put it into service and maintenance mode if needed. I'm an architect, however, my team is more hands-on day-to-day, and they know about the solution in detail.

The initial setup has been pretty straightforward, and the team, in general, has been happy with the process.

The solution is pretty stable and reliable.

Technical support is very good at taking a deep dive into issues.

What needs improvement?

On the KVM side, we really don't have anything. There we have a gap. It's a very small deployment on the KVM side, however, it would be ideal if we were able to properly use all the resources and get the full performance of the platform.

On the orchestration side, we're lacking the KVM part as well.

There can be compatibility issues. We need to keep track of different versions of the software. For example, we're still on E6 I6 6.5. In some cases, we can't upgrade to Red Hat 8 yet, for compatibility reasons. Every time we do, we have to be applying HPE firmware and stuff. Sometimes we run into complications and we have to stage everything in the lab just to make sure all the versions are compatible. There's this forward and backward compatibility of different software you need to constantly be aware of.

I've been dealing with the solution maybe for five years at this point. I've used it for a while now.

The solution is mostly stable, so long as there aren't compatibility issues between different pieces of software. Mostly, it's reliable.

Typically, I don't deal with technical support issues. I'm not in that area. That said, it's my understanding that we have gotten a pretty good, deep analysis of the issues at hand when we have had tickets open in the past. My team seems satisfied with the level of support given to them.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's very simple and straightforward.

Our team can handle it with ease. We don't need the assistance of integrators or consultants.

Our customers are the ones that hold the licensing. We just provide services. Therefore, I cannot speak to any exact costs or licensing agreements.

What other advice do I have?

We provide services to customers. However, we are users of the product.

I don't know of any better VM environment. I would rate this solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities so far.

Ahmed Mahrous - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
    Powerful, stable, and very reliable
    • "vCenter Orchestrator is very reliable and stable."
    • "I did not do the initial setup. However, it was complex at the beginning."

What is our primary use case?

I used vCenter Orchestrator for our servers, such as database, Active Directory, and antivirus servers. Our internal servers have approximately five hosts and we are hosting approximately 19 servers on them.

I have been using the vCenter Orchestrator for approximately 10 years.

vCenter Orchestrator is very reliable and stable.

The scalability of the vCenter Orchestrator is not easy to do because it is depending on the hardware that is used. You cannot scale the solution easily.

We have approximately 150 people in my organization using this solution. Our company is a law firm, people from multiple roles are using it, such as administrative lawyers, attorneys, IT, sales, HR, and accounting. All departments are using the solution because all our servers are deployed using VMware. We don't have any standalone service. The solution is widely used in our company and we have plans to expand.

I have used the support a couple of times in the online communities. I have not used professional support from VMware.

I have used Hyper-V previously.

I did not do the initial setup. However, it was complex at the beginning.

What other advice do I have?

I am looking to expand our operation. However, approximately two years ago  I was searching for a flexible solution and I came to the hyper-converged solution. I was doing some comparisons, but as it was very expensive to replace our current environment. I'm searching for a solution to somehow expand our environment or do another environment parallel to our current one.

I would advise others to try solutions, such as Hyper-V. I have tried it in a test environment and I think it is very promising and it is easy to use. However, VMware is very powerful, stable, and very reliable, but I advise them to try  Hyper-V and VMware.

I rate vCenter Orchestrator a nine out of ten.

Hany  Magdy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Solutions Consultant at Interact Technology Solutions
    Reliable, easy to set up, and offers good features
    • "We can scale the solution."
    • "The cost of the solution is high."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for multiple companies.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features in VMware that are very useful, actually.

The initial setup is not very complex.

It is stable and reliable.

We can scale the solution.

What needs improvement?

In the last few months, I've heard rumors that ransomware has been gaining the ability to attack VMware, which has us worried.

The cost of the solution is high.

I've been using the solution for five or six years.

The solution has been quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable.

We've had customers with up to 7,000 employees.

The solution scales well. It's not a problem to expand it.

I'm just doing implementations for my customers, not my company. I'm not sure if my customers have plans to increase usage.

I've only used technical support two or three times. They have very good support and we are quite satisfied with the level of support we offer.

Positive

The initial setup is straightforward and simple. It's not difficult. How long it takes to deploy depends on the number of hosts on vCenter. It might take one to two hours.

Sometimes a customer requires a more complex setup, and that can take a few days.

We are able to handle the initial setup in-house. We did not need any outside help from integrators or consultants.

There are multiple licenses available so customers can choose what makes sense based on their needs.

The pricing could be a bit less between the pandemic and the war. It's also expensive as it is in dollars, which is higher than a lot of other currencies. Lowering the price would encourage more customers to sign on.

What other advice do I have?

I am an integrator.

I'm using multiple versions, including versions five, six, and seven.

It's a perfect solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten. I'm worried about the potential for being targeted by this new ransomware.

VivekSaini - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Consultant at Aon Corporation
    Priced well, easy to install, and has responsive technical support
    • "We have excellent technical support. They have always been helpful when we have needed them."
    • "I would like to have an interface that can manage both on-premises and cloud solutions from a single console, where we can easily manage the resources that are being used or at least applications. Whereby clicking here and there from on-premises to cloud, or cloud to on-premises, depending on the requirements. If that can be accomplished, it will be extremely beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

We have a separate team that is responsible for managing the vCenter. We Are a product for the general public.

vCenter Orchestrator is used for everything, any database can be used with any middleware. Everything is managed through vCenter.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have an interface that can manage both on-premises and cloud solutions from a single console, where we can easily manage the resources that are being used or at least applications. Whereby clicking here and there from on-premises to cloud, or cloud to on-premises, depending on the requirements. If that can be accomplished, it will be extremely beneficial.

I have been working with vCenter Orchestrator for more than five or six years.

Currently, we have the most recent version, and we used both Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS for the cloud.

vCenter Orchestrator is a stable solution.

vCenter Orchestrator is scalable.

We have approximately 50,000 users in our organization.

We are working with Red Hat versions six, seven, and eight as well as BigFix, and JBOSS. JBOSS, on the other hand, is used by a different team, a middleware team. We are system administrators, and we are using the infrastructure component, which is the operating system.

For managing, we are using VMware cloud management, vRA.

The initial setup is straightforward. We are experienced with this solution. We have multiple data centers.

We pay a yearly fee, based on our entries. For now, the price is fine. We can't say whether it's expensive or not until we compare it to other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vCenter Orchestrator a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    DineshKumar3 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Delivery Manager at DXC
    Time tested with reliable outcomes, manageable licensing cost with several options, and extremely scalable
    • "It is very stable. I have been using vCenter Orchestrator from version three now to six plus."
    • "I believe a transparent view and better terms of condition between Oracle and vCenter Orchestrator would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage the overall VMware environment.

What is most valuable?

We use the Distributed Resource Scheduling, the HA, the affinity features, and the fault tolerance that is available.

What needs improvement?

I believe a transparent view and better terms of condition between Oracle and vCenter Orchestrator would be helpful.

I have been using vCenter Orchestrator for the past ten years.

It is very stable. I have been using vCenter Orchestrator from version three now to six plus.

Scalability, I think you can add hundreds and thousands of machines to it. Even though there are some hard limits, they are huge in numbers. I can go and add four thousand plus steps, and in every case, I can have up to sixteen machines running. We are talking about thousands of hardware and thousands of VMs can be added to a single center.  It depends upon the requirement. We will increase it and decrease it based on company growth.

Technical support is very good.

Positive

It is pretty straightforward. They have a deployable product. We do not have to design and build it before deploying. It is readily available from their side. You just have to download and provide the IPS. There are very few configurations to decide on and you are up and ready in a few minutes to an hour. They have made it very simple now.

The licensing cost is manageable because they have different versions available, standard, essential, and advanced. It depends upon the business requirement. You can pick and choose what you need. I think they do have a free version as well.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vCenter Orchestrator a nine out of ten.

Creative Head/Director at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
    Stable and easy to install and use

What is our primary use case?

The version we use is not updated.

The solution allows us to manage multiple VMware in a single, vCenter, console. It is very useful.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better performance.

We have been using vCenter Orchestrator for around six years.

The solution is stable.

I do not have knowledge of the technical support.

The solution was easy to install.

The implementation process takes between 30 to 43 minutes.

When it comes to the deployment, they have an administrator. We will provide them with support should an issue arise.

What other advice do I have?

We have around 10 customers making use of the solution.

My recommendation is that one solely go with vCenter.

I rate vCenter Orchestrator as a ten out of ten.

Download our free vCenter Orchestrator Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022