IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

TeamCity OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TeamCity is #5 ranked solution in top Build Automation tools. PeerSpot users give TeamCity an average rating of 8 out of 10. TeamCity is most commonly compared to GitLab: TeamCity vs GitLab. TeamCity is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Build Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is TeamCity?

TeamCity is a Continuous Integration and Deployment server that provides out-of-the-box continuous unit testing, code quality analysis, and early reporting on build problems. A simple installation process lets you deploy TeamCity and start improving your release management practices in a matter of minutes. TeamCity supports Java, .NET and Ruby development and integrates perfectly with major IDEs, version control systems, and issue tracking systems.

TeamCity Customers

Toyota, Xerox, Apple, MIT, Volkswagen, HP, Twitter, Expedia

TeamCity Video

TeamCity Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TeamCity pricing:
"The licensing is on an annual basis."

TeamCity Reviews

Tim Suchodolski - PeerSpot reviewer
DevOps Enginee at Local Projects
Scalable and simple to use with lots of very good plug-ins
  • "TeamCity is very useful due to the fact that it has a strong plug-in system."
  • "If TeamCity could create more out of the box solutions to make it more user friendly and create more use cases, that would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

For my company, we require a CI server that's very flexible. Our bills are simple, almost template-based, however, we need to be able to deploy to almost any platform, basically whatever the customer could end up using, whether it be Windows, Mac, Android, and even mobile or tablets, et cetera. We can do it with this solution.  It needs to be simple because right now as I am the only IT person knowledgable of infrastructure on the team. If we need to build a pipeline, it needs to be simple enough that the rest of the team would be able to understand and work with it.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has been fantastic for our organization due to the fact that we do not need a designer having to build the product. We don't need to figure out how to deploy it either. It's created improved efficiencies which have saved us time and expense.

What is most valuable?

TeamCity is very useful due to the fact that it has a strong plug-in system. It's fantastic how simple it is to set up a pipeline. You don't need to be a technical user to understand the process and make it work and to create and build steps within the pipeline.

What needs improvement?

Harness stuck out to me due to the fact that it looked like testing and deployment was very simple and out of the box. TeamCity it definitely isn't plug and play. It's not a few clicks and you're done. It takes a bit more work. If TeamCity could create more out of the box solutions to make it more user friendly and create more use cases, that would be ideal. I would like it if they had a better system for copying or editing what has already been created. Right now it's either too simplistic, or you have to go through several steps just to delete something and to copy something that either does a whole copy or almost nothing. There is no in-between. You can't choose how much of something you take. I would prefer if there was more of, "okay, copy all of this, but leave out these steps." That would just make things a lot faster.
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about JetBrains, Jenkins, Atlassian and others in Build Automation. Updated: June 2022.
607,178 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've been using the solution for about a year now.

The solution is reliable. I don't recall bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash. It's stable.

The solution is scalable. If an organization needs to expand it, it's possible to do so. Currently, we have 10-12 users on the solution. These include the creative design team, software engineers, and project managers.

The technical support is good. It's forum based. You post on their websites. You don't really create a ticket and you don't call anyone. You post on their website someone will help you by answering your question there. Then, everyone can also see the answer.

The solution is a little bit complex. It's not quite straightforward. You have to set up servers and agents. Essentially, you need three computers to get up and running.

We did not use an integrator or consultant to assist us with the deployment. We managed the process by ourselves.

The licensing costs depend on what you use the solution for, however, it's free to start and you get up to three agents for free. If you want to do more than a hundred builds or a hundred different setups, then you have to pay more or start paying.  It's a Freemium model. Once you pass the free stage, it can cost anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars per year.

We're currently looking at Harness, which seems to have a few more out of the box features that we need, so we are considering either integrating the two together, or switching over entirely.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We're using the most up to date version of the solution currently. TeamCity is our main continuous integration tool, however, it is deployments that we were looking into improving. With Harness I saw that the deployment process was very polished. And at this point I was wondering if there was any interactivity between the two solutions, or just what would be the benefits of just switching completely to Harness. We're currently researching that now. I'd advise other organizations to do a lot of research before you begin creating anything. The solution needs a lot of maintenance in the sense that you need to understand all the different pieces. You need to be able to look at the servers and the agents, and, if you're going to implement anything new, you'll need to understand it is going to take a while to get it right. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good integration and CI/CD flow
  • "The integration is a valuable feature."
  • "We would like to see better integration with other version controls, since we encountered difficulty when this we first attempted."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version of TeamCity by JetBrains, 2021.

We needed CI/CD, a Continuous Integration Delivery approach to our current process and the database development process. We needed a tool to generate and run automated builds and tests and to notify us in the event of a failure.

What is most valuable?

The integration is a valuable feature. The solution comes with a great CI/CD flow. As we have our own personal server, we have our own account for each developer. When it comes to access to it's dashboard it can be integrated with a social control. We integrated with version control and did so with GitHub. It allows one to have repositories in a single place, so as to customize the whole desired flow for having an initial continuous integration of a working build.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see better integration with other version controls, since we encountered difficulty when this was first attempted. This meant that we had to use predefined scripts that we wrote on our own.

When it comes to other source control tools , such as GitHub, it's really straightforward and easy to do.

We've been using TeamCity over the past 12 months.

The initial setup was straightforward. I can log in and start working as soon as I have my account credentials. While some advance training is needed, the person would be good to go once he has mastered the basics.

When it comes to plans to increase usage, this depends on the company and the user developer.

I have not had occasion to make use of the solution's technical support.

The licensing is on an annual basis.

I cannot comment on the pricing, as this is out of my purview.

We did not evaluate other options prior to going with TeamCity. It was the first one we picked for the integration of our CI/CD.

What other advice do I have?

We have more than 50 users in our organization who are making use of the solution.

There is much online documentation for TeamCity, with certain learning materials such as videos. There are many free courses, as well.

Someone considering the implementation of TeamCity should first define all of his use cases. If the person wishes to integrate it with infrastructure, but is a junior engineer who lacks experience with DevOps tools, he would need to do some learning. This said, the solution is a great tool for CI/CD.

The solution has all the features that I need, with a good user interface. I'm pretty satisfied.

I rate TeamCity as an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    June 2022
    607,178 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Owner at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    The GUI is nice
    • "TeamCity's GUI is nice."
    • "We've called TeamCity tech support. Unfortunately, all their tech support is based in Europe, so we end up with such a big time crunch that I now need to have one person in the US."

What is our primary use case?

We generally use TeamCity for automation and development.

What is most valuable?

TeamCity's GUI is nice.

What needs improvement?

One thing comes to mind, but maybe it's more of an issue on our side and not a problem with TeamCity itself. We don't have the high availability package. So I'd like our company to purchase that. So when one goes down, then we have a backup. I think we've purchased it, but we just haven't had anyone with the time to implement it. I think there was an extra cost, but we did buy it, and then I think you have to set it up in a certain way.

I've been using TeamCity for about three years.

It's easy to scale, but this is on RDS, so you can scale it up and down. I don't think we purchased the scaling features, but they do have scalability. All of our developers are using it, so more than a hundred.

We've called TeamCity tech support. Unfortunately, all their tech support is based in Europe, so we end up with such a big time crunch that I now need to have one person in the US. Still, the tech support is pretty good. Even the original person that wrote the product is still working there, so that's good. But we have issues with the time zone.

It can be pretty complex. There's the RDS setup, where you use RDS, and you have agents and whatnot. I wouldn't say it's super complex. At the same time, it's not something where you just click a button, and you're done. It's kind of in the middle range.

TeamCity is on the expensive side. It's more for developers than CIS admins. Conversely, Ansible is more for CIS admins and less for developers. It would be nice to have a solution that works for both purposes. So I think Ansible was something they were thinking about purchasing, but I'm not sure if that ever occurred.

There are two teams — on-prem and cloud — and the cloud team uses TeamCity. On-prem uses SUSE automation.

What other advice do I have?

I rate TeamCity eight out of 10.

Download our free Build Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about JetBrains, Jenkins, Atlassian, and more!
    Updated: June 2022