TeamCity OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TeamCity is the #4 ranked solution in top Build Automation tools. PeerSpot users give TeamCity an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. TeamCity is most commonly compared to GitLab: TeamCity vs GitLab. TeamCity is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Build Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is TeamCity?

TeamCity is a Continuous Integration and Deployment server that provides out-of-the-box continuous unit testing, code quality analysis, and early reporting on build problems. A simple installation process lets you deploy TeamCity and start improving your release management practices in a matter of minutes. TeamCity supports Java, .NET and Ruby development and integrates perfectly with major IDEs, version control systems, and issue tracking systems.

TeamCity Customers

Toyota, Xerox, Apple, MIT, Volkswagen, HP, Twitter, Expedia

TeamCity Video

TeamCity Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TeamCity pricing:
"The licensing is on an annual basis."

TeamCity Reviews

Mohamed Wael Ben Ismail - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud DevOps engineer at DeepMetis
User-friendly and easy to configure, but needs better UI
  • "TeamCity is a very user-friendly tool."
  • "I need some more graphical design."

What is our primary use case?

We have different projects on TeamCity. Mainly, for example, I use it to automate our build. We have scripts that need to be run on schedule to do some scanning of our codes to detect vulnerabilities and so on. I have, for example, a build that decorates the script and launches it every Sunday night, so we can have our reports by Monday, so our managers can see them, and we can discuss them.

We also use it to deploy our infrastructure as code in the environment and to execute that or deploy that to the dev environment. We have many builds that deploy our code in the dev environment.

What is most valuable?

TeamCity is a very user-friendly tool. I didn't know about it five months ago, and I started digging into it. To be honest, it was very easy to start on it and to build my first build and to understand the concept or the methodology internally.

It's very easy to configure as well. You can configure your build and the steps within in it in a very easy way since you can choose the syntax with how you will write your code. In comparison with Gitlab, Gitlab has its specific syntax, so you need to learn that; however, with TeamCity, you have the choice to choose the framework you want and so you can start easily.

What needs improvement?

It's just a tool that I used. I needed to deliver something, so I did. I wasn't looking at it in a way to criticize it or to optimize it.

As a user, I need some more graphical design. For example, in the other CI/CD, the whole pipeline or the whole job, you can clearly see the different types. The first job, the second job, et cetera, and you can stop whenever you want. You can stop, for example, at the second job, and you can replace the second job, so you can continue where you have stopped.

However, in TeamCity, the whole build is like a whole block, and there is no way to stop. When the pipeline starts, there is no way that you can stop in the middle. You need to restart the whole thing.

It's been five to six months, maybe, since I started using the solution.

Build Automation
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about JetBrains, Jenkins, Atlassian and others in Build Automation. Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution works quickly, and I haven't noticed any issues with stability; however, I haven't tried to test it out either.

The whole IT department is using TeamCity. That's 40 to 50 people, approximately. Every dev and every DevOps person is using TeamCity.

I've never contacted technical support.

I'm also using GitLab.

It's easy to set up. I did it on my local machine, not on our real server, and it took me a couple of minutes. Since it's an online application, we can deploy it in just a minute and just with a few clicks. It's not that complicated.

It's open source, however, if you want your solution to be deployed on their cloud or on the cloud in general without you being involved and having it and managed by them, there may be costs involved. That's the paid feature.

I was not involved in evaluating other options or choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

It's a great solution. I only wish they spent more time working on the graphical part. It would be nicer and more focused if they did.

I'd rate it seven out of ten as it is easy to start with, and it's not complicated to deploy in your on-premises deployment.

Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good integration and CI/CD flow
  • "The integration is a valuable feature."
  • "We would like to see better integration with other version controls, since we encountered difficulty when this we first attempted."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version of TeamCity by JetBrains, 2021.

We needed CI/CD, a Continuous Integration Delivery approach to our current process and the database development process. We needed a tool to generate and run automated builds and tests and to notify us in the event of a failure.

What is most valuable?

The integration is a valuable feature. The solution comes with a great CI/CD flow. As we have our own personal server, we have our own account for each developer. When it comes to access to it's dashboard it can be integrated with a social control. We integrated with version control and did so with GitHub. It allows one to have repositories in a single place, so as to customize the whole desired flow for having an initial continuous integration of a working build.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see better integration with other version controls, since we encountered difficulty when this was first attempted. This meant that we had to use predefined scripts that we wrote on our own.

When it comes to other source control tools , such as GitHub, it's really straightforward and easy to do.

We've been using TeamCity over the past 12 months.

The initial setup was straightforward. I can log in and start working as soon as I have my account credentials. While some advance training is needed, the person would be good to go once he has mastered the basics.

When it comes to plans to increase usage, this depends on the company and the user developer.

I have not had occasion to make use of the solution's technical support.

The licensing is on an annual basis.

I cannot comment on the pricing, as this is out of my purview.

We did not evaluate other options prior to going with TeamCity. It was the first one we picked for the integration of our CI/CD.

What other advice do I have?

We have more than 50 users in our organization who are making use of the solution.

There is much online documentation for TeamCity, with certain learning materials such as videos. There are many free courses, as well.

Someone considering the implementation of TeamCity should first define all of his use cases. If the person wishes to integrate it with infrastructure, but is a junior engineer who lacks experience with DevOps tools, he would need to do some learning. This said, the solution is a great tool for CI/CD.

The solution has all the features that I need, with a good user interface. I'm pretty satisfied.

I rate TeamCity as an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Build Automation
    November 2022
    655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Owner at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    The GUI is nice
    • "TeamCity's GUI is nice."
    • "We've called TeamCity tech support. Unfortunately, all their tech support is based in Europe, so we end up with such a big time crunch that I now need to have one person in the US."

What is our primary use case?

We generally use TeamCity for automation and development.

What is most valuable?

TeamCity's GUI is nice.

What needs improvement?

One thing comes to mind, but maybe it's more of an issue on our side and not a problem with TeamCity itself. We don't have the high availability package. So I'd like our company to purchase that. So when one goes down, then we have a backup. I think we've purchased it, but we just haven't had anyone with the time to implement it. I think there was an extra cost, but we did buy it, and then I think you have to set it up in a certain way.

I've been using TeamCity for about three years.

It's easy to scale, but this is on RDS, so you can scale it up and down. I don't think we purchased the scaling features, but they do have scalability. All of our developers are using it, so more than a hundred.

We've called TeamCity tech support. Unfortunately, all their tech support is based in Europe, so we end up with such a big time crunch that I now need to have one person in the US. Still, the tech support is pretty good. Even the original person that wrote the product is still working there, so that's good. But we have issues with the time zone.

It can be pretty complex. There's the RDS setup, where you use RDS, and you have agents and whatnot. I wouldn't say it's super complex. At the same time, it's not something where you just click a button, and you're done. It's kind of in the middle range.

TeamCity is on the expensive side. It's more for developers than CIS admins. Conversely, Ansible is more for CIS admins and less for developers. It would be nice to have a solution that works for both purposes. So I think Ansible was something they were thinking about purchasing, but I'm not sure if that ever occurred.

There are two teams — on-prem and cloud — and the cloud team uses TeamCity. On-prem uses SUSE automation.

What other advice do I have?

I rate TeamCity eight out of 10.

Omakoji Idakwoji - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Engineer at Home Depot
    Build management system used to successfully create full request tests and run security scans
    • "Time to deployment has been reduced in situations where we want to deploy to production or deploy breaking changes."
    • "The UI for this solution could be improved. New users don't find it easy to navigate. The need some level of training to understand the ins and the outs."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for running unit tests for merge requests on github. We also use it to build executable artifacts and also for running security scans.

How has it helped my organization?

Time to deployment has been reduced. It has helped in preventing us from deploying breaking changes into production. If the pipelines are configured properly and a merge request is created on the repository, the TeamCity pipeline triggers and highlights if there are breaking changes or failing unit tests. This has helped us reduce error rates immensely.

What is most valuable?

I find the TeamCity backend easily accessible. Users can login to the Linux servers that TeamCity is installed on and perform operations. Also I find the ability to template solutions using the meta runner a good feature as well as the user management feature. There is a display that shows which user made recent changes to a branch on GitHub, including the time the changes were made and the particular agent that ran the job. This is also a very useful feature.

The metrics and audit available for projects, pipelines and  jobs come in handy when debugging.

What needs improvement?

The UI for this solution could be improved. New users don't find it easy to navigate. They need some level of training to understand the ins and the outs.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is a very stable solution. I prefer using it over Concourse. I have only experienced one scenario where a server had gone down due to configuration changes. Other than that, it has been stable and reliable.

I would say it is highly scalable. Anyone in our business can easily setup their own TeamCity server and assign resources to it. We also have the ability to add multiple agents. In this respect, it is horizontally scalable.

I have installed TeamCity for different teams with different needs for it. In some cases, we have needed docker containers to be installed with the setup as well as the Google Cloud SDK. With these additions, the setup can become complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.