New Relic OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

New Relic is the #4 ranked solution in top IT Operations Analytics tools, #7 ranked solution in top AIOps tools, #20 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools, and #20 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give New Relic an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. New Relic is most commonly compared to Elastic Observability: New Relic vs Elastic Observability. New Relic is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
New Relic Buyer's Guide

Download the New Relic Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is New Relic?

Real, actionable insights into your stack

Correlate issues across your stack. Debug and collaborate from your IDE. AI assistance at every step. All in one connected experience - not a maze of charts

Troubleshoot infrastructure before. Not after.

Find root cause faster. Correlate infrastructure health with performance and customer impact on one platform.

Dashboards, alerts, and integrations all in one place

Our Instant Observability quickstarts bundle everything you need to start monitoring like a pro right out of the box.

Quickly integrate with hundreds of tools and open standards.

Integrate easily with leading cloud providers. New Relic is committed to open standards, open instrumentation, and the open communities that support them.

New Relic was previously known as New Relic Browser, New Relic Applied Intelligence, New Relic Insights, New Relic Synthetics, New Relic Servers.

New Relic Customers

Fairfax Media, Despergar.com, MercadoLibre, Veracode, Costa Coffee, Kiva, Alkami, Mondia Media, Bringmeister.de, Simplesurance, Confused.com, ReachLocal, Lending Club, Boozt.com, Trainline

New Relic Video

Archived New Relic Reviews (more than two years old)

Database Administrator at a music company with 51-200 employees
Good drill-down functionality let us see through to SQL code, and it integrates well with Slack
  • "We were able to integrate with the messaging tool, Slack, which meant that we got notifications whenever something was not quite right."
  • "There are certain features that are not supported in New Relic, such as CATSEARCH, which allows you to do a full-text search."

What is our primary use case?

We were using New Relic Synthetics to test our application, which retrieved data from the web on a daily basis. Our second use case was that it helped us to isolate any bad code.

You put the hooks in for the website as a database, and you can drill down into all of the offending code. You can even go down into the SQL. We were running an Oracle database and I was the DBA, so the SQL level was my responsibility.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature was drill-downs. I was able to use it to drill-down into the SQL, get the response time, as well as the allocation based on IO, CPU, and the other resources attached to the SQL queries.

What needs improvement?

There are certain features that are not supported in New Relic, such as CATSEARCH, which allows you to do a full-text search. Certain things like this would have helped me a little bit.

We used New Relic Synthetics for at least a year, up until the end of 2019.

New Relic
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about New Relic. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution and we never had a problem with it.

Prior to New Relic, we were using some Oracle tools such as AWR. Although they were useful, they were not really proactive. New Relic is a more proactive tool, as it were.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but it was done in-house by one person. It took at least half a week to complete it. This included setting up the service, and Slack integration. It took a nice amount of time, in total.

I loved this product, but we can no longer afford it, so we dropped it.

What other advice do I have?

Honestly, at first, I was very hesitant about using this product. My advice is to learn to use it and learn all of the features because it has many of them, not all of which are documented, but they work wonders. For us, they really helped a lot.

Director IT at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Good application performance monitoring and load-balancing capability
  • "The most valuable features are infrastructure monitoring and application performance monitoring (APM)."
  • "It would help customers if there were an on-premises version available."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Synthetics component to evaluate load balancing and monitor the average throughput of data on the system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are infrastructure monitoring and application performance monitoring (APM).

We are developing alerts and methods using the New Relic Query Language (NRQL).

What needs improvement?

The licensing cost is a little high and it should be brought down.

It would help customers if there were an on-premises version available.

I have been using the New Relic Browser for five or six months.

We have had no issues with respect to stability.

Scalability has not been a problem.

We have not needed to contact technical support.

I am using Dynatrace at the same time and I don't see much difference between the tools in terms of setup. In terms of usability, Dynatrace makes it easier to get the information that I want.

It is really easy to onboard a new application with New Relic. There are a couple of things to be installed and configured. Overall, it is simple and straightforward and I don't see much of a challenge.

We have an in-house technical team for implementation and deployment.

This is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I definitely recommend. If you want to keep monitoring your site and find the performance of it, this is a good option to do so.

I would rate this solution and eight out of ten.

New Relic
November 2022
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Yadvendra-Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable and scalable but does not provide input regarding page performance
  • "The solution is quite stable."
  • "The solution does not provide input on how the page performs in a big group. It just says that the page performance is bad, but it does not say what can be done to improve it. If they could provide some insight or guidance on how to make improvements, that would be a big help."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to optimize web pages and to track user behavior.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspects are that it tracks java better and operates very efficiently.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not provide input on how the page performs in a big group. It just says that the page performance is bad, but it does not say what can be done to improve it. If they could provide some insight or guidance on how to make improvements, that would be a big help.

The solution could adjust the pricing to make the costs more reasonable.

I've been using the solution for three months.

The solution is quite stable.

The solution is scalable. We have about 15 people using it currently. They're mostly developers and managers and we all use the product daily.

The solution offers 24/7 support and they are quite efficient.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment took about a week. It doesn't require more than three people to deploy and maintain the solution.

We had a vendor partner assist us with the implementation.

The solution is quite expensive. It costs around $5,000 a month. There aren't any additional costs above that.

There were other options that were considered, but I was not a part of the decision making process.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is a cloud-based software.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Information Technology Director at Ontegrity
It allows us to perform threshold testing to see how quickly transactions are getting out to customers, providing us with data such as response time and adequacy.

What is most valuable?

We used it more heavily before Synthetics came, but it’s kind of like Synthetics, but used domestically.

Our software does significant data queries, so we throttle performance according to region just to keep the application up. Now we can open it up completely because of New Relic tools.

Ability to quickly identify different browser usage performance issues across our application functions. Again saves time in coding to enhance the end user experience.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to fine-tune our application quicker. It's also better if we find issues in our application than if our customers find it.

It also prevents performance issues because we're able to see potential issues before they cause real problems.

What needs improvement?

I can't recommend any improvements to Browser. I really can’t find anything that I don’t like about these apps.

Deployment was very simple.

We've encountered no issues with stability.

Scaling has not been a problem.

I've not had to use technical support.

We had no problems setting it up.

Information Technology Director at Ontegrity
It replicates testing, and we have a much higher level of functional and scripted testing across our application. We can execute test cases as they’re meant to be.

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to simulate real-world testing outside of the US, emulating conditions outside the US with remote-access. The rest of world doesn’t have internet the way we do. Because we’re a cloud-based solution, it doesn’t perform consistently the same because of internet issues in other countries.

When our app passes critical threshold, can quickly go to Transactions and/or Database views and immediately see the code areas causing the issue. Saves so much time in debugging our code and environments.

Allows us to test and monitor performance for our international deployments in Asia and Central America throughout the release cycle.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I honestly can't think of any areas for improvement. It's a complete solution that gets a 10/10 in my book. I really can’t find anything that I don’t like about these apps.

No issues with deployment at all.

We've encountered no issue with stability.

There have been no issues with scalability.

Once I had to file a support ticket which was resolved on the same day. It may have been a setup ticket for the kind of test we wanted to run.

We had no problems setting it up as it was very straightforward.

We didn't consider any other solution.

Software Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
With the client JS API, we can report data to it and query it with Insights.

Valuable Features:

It helps us organize the data from our clients and reason with it. Moreover, with the client JS API, we can report data to New Relic and query it with Insights. It is easy to use and has an understandable graph editor.

This is the real deal.

Improvements to My Organization:

Tracking and monitoring production is mandatory, however, we did it for years only for the back-end side. As the client-side applications grow bigger and get more complex more responsibility gets to the client. Because of that we must be able to understand if our clients are "healthy". The term "healthy" is not clear to what it means.

Presently we report data to New Relic Insights, and we've built some really readable and understandable graphs. We monitor with those graphs every deploy to production, and we are advising the graphs to resolve current problems with our application, like errors and problems with the load and response times.

Room for Improvement:

New Relic comes with some features out of the box, but not enough. There are some essential features that New Relic needs to implement that their competitors already support, like special treatment for AngularJS/React applications. We had to implement (with the JS API) the ability to query errors through Insights which is essential. Currently, we don't have a way to send alerts which is a real pain.

Use of Solution:

We are using it in conjunction with APM and Insights.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Other Solutions Considered:

We also looked at Raygun.io and TrackJs which are great products, but neither has the tri-factor, which is:

1. Tracking errors with integration to the server
  2. Ability to report you own data
  3. Ability to build you own custom dashboard

Other Advice:

New Relic has a good separation between the data that you report and how you show it, along with data you get out of the box. My advice is about how to show the data in a way that it will be easy to reason with it.

You can build many different graphs, really try them all, and then decide what fits best for your organization. That's what we did. The way you handle data varies between organizations and even between teams in a organization, and the ability to show the data in different ways is very helpful with that.

New Relic always gets new things done. The system is always changing and in a good way. New features are always coming into the system and we are very happy with it.

it_user344553 - PeerSpot reviewer
SQA Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
We get a shared organizational understanding of how our application is being used, but if I set a custom query to give me some value, I want to be able to set an alert for that.

Valuable Features

It allows flexible queries, allowing me to find answers easily.

Improvements to My Organization

It’s been helpful to get a unified understanding of how our application is being used, usage patterns, etc. We get a shared organizational understanding.

Room for Improvement

Alerting based on custom insights queries. If I set a custom query to give me some value, I want to be able to set an alert for that.

No issues encountered.

It’s been scaling along with our growth.

Great tech support, very responsive. They've helped us solve some perplexing problems.

Very straightforward. Worked through our account manager.

Other Advice

You’ll get way more data than you thought.

it_user344553 - PeerSpot reviewer
SQA Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
​As a QA manager, it helps me to know exactly where to focus our attention because we can pinpoint specifically where there may be issues. I'd like alerts for custom queries.

Valuable Features

We primarily have an API so our front-end apps aren’t a huge part of our business, but Browser allows us to see geo-location to see where requests are coming from.

It also provides us with really valuable information such as which different browsers and versions our website visitors are using.

Improvements to My Organization

As a QA manager, it helps me to know exactly where to focus our attentions because we can pinpoint specifically where there may be issues -- where geographically, which browsers, which browser versions, and other very granular details.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see alerting based on custom insight queries. If I set a custom query to give me some value, I want to be able to set an alert for that.

No issues with deployment at all.

No stability issues.

It’s been scaling along with our growth.

I haven't had to use technical support.

Setup was very simple and straightforward.

it_user344805 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Software Architrect at a retailer with 51-200 employees
We’re able to deploy very quickly, not concerning ourselves with every single issue, but it’s a little sluggish going around getting down to the last dirty details of a session.

Valuable Features

We’re able to see real-time sessions come through. We talk directly to customers as they’re having issues with the site, and we can pull up their email addresses and see what issues they have. For customer support and engineering, it’s crucial.

Improvements to My Organization

We’re able to deploy very quickly, not concerning ourselves with every single issue. In production we can address every issue.

Room for Improvement

There may be issues with scalability with individual users sending events up to the cloud.

Also, it’s a little sluggish getting down to the last dirty details of a session. It’s tough to do, admittedly, but that’s what I’d wish for.

It’s very, very reliable, no issues, and most importantly we haven’t lost any data and we’ve been able to hotlink particular events. All our documentation about particular events, we can always go back and see, which is good for training.

There have been issues, but I do wonder whether we’ll have to tailor the user experience and whether we’ll reach bottlenecks with individual clients sending events up to the cloud.

I've never had to use technical support.

Very straightforward. I don’t recall how it went, that’s how easy it was.

Other Advice

Just install it. It provides so much more than alerting of errors.

it_user344856 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Principal at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives us trending/marketing data. But while our internal solution is better than Insights at analyzing some data, I'd like Insights to take care of that analysis and use its graphic engine.

Valuable Features

We can place ad hoc queries to understand user behavior and customer patterns. The data can be collected for any activity that we want to see on any part of our website.

Improvements to My Organization

Its greatest benefit comes from its ability to provide trending/marketing data. We can replace some requests from our data warehouse and get a quick glimpse into that data, especially with our mobile platform and website for different browsers.

Room for Improvement

The metrics that I want are already pushed to New Relic, but some data we haven’t pushed to New Relic. Internally, we have a solution that’s better than Insights to provide us analysis of that data. I’d like to see Insights take care of that analysis and use its graphic engine.

Not enough working experience to comment on this, but in my experience, no instability.

I haven't had to use it.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

Other Advice

The things that I would need are proprietary, and I don’t think that data can be pushed out to Insights. Take a look at internal processes to see what can be done quicker by Insight and make a good test case of it. You must present it as a better alternative to the existing issues. Get early adopters excited about it and build a relationship based on that.

it_user344799 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Developer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to determine when and what we need to scale, instead of just chucking machines at layers and hoping it’s right. It would be nice, though, to have more granularity for metrics displayed.

What is most valuable?

I’ve gotten our teams to use New Relic to help them craft code that properly performs right out of the gate. It complements our user-acceptance testing where we can put in performance testing right away.

We also have better transparency, we can see bottleneck in resources (need more memory, CPU, etc.), we can catch problems such as full disks before they crash our server. We never had that type of insight before. It makes our Ops teams’ lives easy because they just get emails as to potential issues.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the ability to determine when and what we need to scale, instead of just chucking machines at layers and hoping it’s right. It all goes towards giving our customers the best experience possible.

What needs improvement?

When you look at disk monitoring, it would be cool to see which folders are gobbling most space, so that when we get a full-disk alert, we can go into our servers to purge that without downloading a separate tool to see what’s contending for hard disk space.

Also, it's really well put together, but it would be nice to have more granularity for metrics displayed so that ops team can see more holistically what’s happening.

There are no stability problems. There have been slow points where data loads slowly, but it can be solved just by clicking refresh. No problems with agents crashing or not reporting data. So no reason for me to worry about its stability.

I never have to worry about not collecting data, but probably the web portion might need a little bit of work.

It’s scaled to all our needs. We have apps for on-site and in-cloud, and it’s worked well for both. There’s no problem with scalability.

We haven’t had to reach out yet, and hopefully things keep going smoothly.

I was involved for another account, but it was very straightforward, couldn’t possibly be simpler. So easy.

What other advice do I have?

We looked at the ease of installation, how easy it is to get it put and running to see what’s happening on your machine.

Information Technology Director at Ontegrity
It provides my executives with customer, internal, and vendor usage statistics, but it has a limit of only 1000 records when I run a query.

Valuable Features

The ability to do layered reporting quickly and in real-time on stats is the most valuable feature to us.

Improvements to My Organization

It makes my executives happy because it allows me to provide them with usage statistics. We have three types of users: customer, internal, and vendor. We can see who’s logged on, when, how long, what views they’re using, what data elements they’ve updated and how often, and which features of all reports that customers retrieve and use the most. And management knows who’s doing work and who’s not, and who's doing what they’re supposed to be doing.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to be able to do visual selection of fields, so that executives who don’t enter queries and select what they want, but they’ve already announced that -- all that's now available. The only limitation we experience is with Insights query limit of 1,000 transactions. If there was an ability to do a “true” 4 weeks of transactions either by running Asynchronously in the background and returning an excel dump or by paging/tabbing the 1,000 transactions per window view, it too, would be perfect.

It has a limit of only 1000 records. I can run a query, and it will only give me feedback on 1000 regardless of the filters I use. Some users are heavy users and have more transactions. I’d like the ability to do 10,000.

I would like more than 1000 views.

First time we tried to do dashboard with nested queries, we had trouble getting syntax correct with tags. Tech support was very supportive with three one-hour sessions with my developers. Since then, it’s never been an issue. They literally hand-held them to get them to put the tags within our code to get the right results.

There were no problems.

Other Advice

If you invest in it and take the time to set it up correctly within the application, the sales and marketing information of the product will pay for itself within the first day or two.

it_user344514 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Although it isn’t as expressive as SQL, we're able to implement a solution that uses New Relic's API to provide data so the project manager can query it using NRQL.

What is most valuable?

It's schema-less and unconstrained to queries. And although NRQL isn’t as expressive as SQL, we're able to implement a solution that uses New Relic's API to provide data so the project manager can query it using NRQL.

They announced that they’re expanding a GUI to make NRQL even less technical.

How has it helped my organization?

Helped us understand that we had a professional group of our users that we didn’t even know about.

It identified mechanized behavior (e.g. bots) and then blocked them.

What needs improvement?

Raw transaction didn’t give us data that we needed. We needed user information so we needed to supply the data with an API.

It’s built to stay up. We starting sending a ton of data to them. They were able to deal with it on their end given their internal architecture. We had a marketing partnership with them.

It’s responsive. When I have had questions, we used the forum. As a big customer, we get a response within a few hours.

Our CTO came back from a conference last year and we were trying to solve a problem using DynamoDB, S3 and Redis (trying to solve the user segmentation question and analyze user behavior). Within a few hours of implementing the API, I was able to query for what we needed. You could do a lot with elastic search, but that needs a team of three people.

No complexity. Just an API call.

They charge by the number of events and for the retention.

it_user344493 - PeerSpot reviewer
Tableau Software at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Using analytics as an application database is nice, but ​error handling and reporting is a little lackluster. They are, however, announcing a whole new analytics approach.

Valuable Features

• It integrates everything, which is awesome.
  • The level of detail and customization, and integrating Insights with an application.
  • Using analytics as an application database.
  • DevOps for marketing.

Room for Improvement

Error handling and reporting is a little lackluster, but they're announcing a whole new analytics approach.

Use of Solution

We have a big deployment and use all of their product offerings except Mobile and Plugins. We use APM, Browsers, and Insights.

No issues. It’s expected since they’re cloud based.

They’ve been friendly and responsive.

Other Solutions Considered

We compared them to others, but they seem to be pumping out more features. Insights has no competition. They pump APM and browser data automatically so that it’s all seamlessly integrated into their insights.

it_user342795 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior QA Lead/Product Manager at Ontegrity
We just keep pushing data, different customer attributes, into New Relic, and we can understand quickly what happened in a time frame, plus all of the dashboard views, drill-down reports.

What is most valuable?

Mainly our developers use this solution, and the executive management. They love seeing all the reports and dashboards. There are two things: your current features, how many people are using them, and that also gives us the sense of what people really want.

It’s like a marketing opportunity also. It gives something more which adds value. From a developer’s standpoint, we can practically put customer attributes for every transaction. We just keep pushing data, different customer attributes, into New Relic, and we can understand quickly what happened in a time frame, plus all of the dashboard views, drill-down reports – you can have multiple reports. The good part is that we don’t have to implement anything on our side – we just use the features.

How has it helped my organization?

Every action we have certain attributes that we keep pushing data and we don’t have to worry about it. It captures everything, which we can send to executive management. We can put a feature out and see how people respond to it, and that can go into a release which will help make money for the company and add value for the customer.

What needs improvement?

Probably make the query language a little bit easier. Improved documentation. The reasons we had to call them (they were super helpful) is because we couldn’t find the documentation. It would really help if they were to come up with some online help where you just type something in and get the answers.

In the last year, I’ve never seen Insights go down. In the first couple of months we had a little bit of trouble understanding it, but that’s OK. The query language is a little bit different. It never breaks.

I’ve spoken to them about 20 times after we started using Insights, and they were just brilliant. No doubt about it. Even the account manager could help direct resources to us to help solve issues. All we do is call the account manager and he would get us the correct person; we like to send all of the questions in an email in advance and we’d make arrangements to go through the issues or questions immediately in a meeting.

I was the one who recommended Insights. We implemented a trial for 60 days and we ended up saying yes. We love it. We do a lot of dashboard stuff. Especially the executive management, they just want to see what happened in a given week or time. What did the vendors do? What did the customers do? Who’s working on what?

It was pretty straightforward. We just put the DLLs into the solutions, make a couple of config changes for New Relic so it detects the name of the product or web app or whatever it’s trying to monitor, and just keep pushing customer attributes or whatever you want. It was very simple. Within 30 minutes you see customer attributes in the environment and it starts capturing.

I think we also looked at one or two. The first one we tried was New Relic. The reputation of the vendor – we decided to give New Relic a try after hearing about how it was used to fix the Affordable Care Act implementation. That’s how we heard about New Relic. We needed to set up monitoring and alert – when we saw New Relic we liked it and its ease of setup. We gave it a 30-day trial and after that there was no looking back.

What other advice do I have?

I really love it. I’m not a developer, but I can just walk up to a developer and ask them to push some data so I can see what’s going on. It’s very easy. The whole ease part; once the code is pushed I just wait to see what events occurred.

If they don’t want to build something on their own (and it all depends on company size resources, etc.) an APM solution is the right answer. Given we have only one infrastructure guy and he can manage all of this, and a small team, everyone can use it all for different purposes. Stress testing, load testing, and evaluating performance. Each team has different ideas about how to use the reports, so it’s good for everybody. Different skill set people can use the entire NR suite for different reasons. It’s the whole package.

it_user293898 - PeerSpot reviewer
.NET Web Development Manager at a music company with 501-1,000 employees
We've been able to create and report on custom metrics or events in real-time.

What is most valuable?

• Custom instrumentation/events. We use this tool are additional analytics and debugging.
  • With limited code, we can create and report on custom metrics or events in real-time. This allows us to quickly identify success rates of our efforts.

What needs improvement?

Joining datasets. Currently, it’s only possible to pull data from a single event type. It would be nice to do more of a SQL-like join, for example, CheckOut events with ItemsAddedToCartEvent.

I've been using it for one year, and alongside their APM, which I've been using for two years.

No issues encountered.

Really high. While we’ve never had any major issue, the ticket I’ve opened have received responses within a couple hours with quality answers.

We didn’t use any other solutions prior to this.

It was straightforward. On each of our servers, we installed the agent, added our key to a config, and then within minutes we were seeing metrics on our site.

In-house. Always start with your development or QA environment. While we had no issues, it’s best to take a dry run, and get a feel for how the app affects performance to see if the data is what you’re looking for.

I have no hard numbers detailing how much we get back for what we pay. However, as a dev-ops tool, it has been priceless. We are now able to pinpoint issues much quicker and can significantly reduce our downtime.

We did evaluate one additional tool but the install and integration was significantly more cumbersome.

The core reason we chose New Relic was the ease of us and the quality of the metrics it gave us. Within hours of demo-ing the product, we were already learning more about our application than we expected.

it_user3396 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user3396Team Lead at Tata Consultancy Services
Top 5Real User

Cool review

Download our free New Relic Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022