New Relic OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

New Relic is the #4 ranked solution in top IT Operations Analytics tools, #7 ranked solution in top AIOps tools, #20 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools, and #20 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give New Relic an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. New Relic is most commonly compared to Elastic Observability: New Relic vs Elastic Observability. New Relic is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
New Relic Buyer's Guide

Download the New Relic Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is New Relic?

Real, actionable insights into your stack

Correlate issues across your stack. Debug and collaborate from your IDE. AI assistance at every step. All in one connected experience - not a maze of charts

Troubleshoot infrastructure before. Not after.

Find root cause faster. Correlate infrastructure health with performance and customer impact on one platform.

Dashboards, alerts, and integrations all in one place

Our Instant Observability quickstarts bundle everything you need to start monitoring like a pro right out of the box.

Quickly integrate with hundreds of tools and open standards.

Integrate easily with leading cloud providers. New Relic is committed to open standards, open instrumentation, and the open communities that support them.

New Relic was previously known as New Relic Browser, New Relic Applied Intelligence, New Relic Insights, New Relic Synthetics, New Relic Servers.

New Relic Customers

Fairfax Media, Despergar.com, MercadoLibre, Veracode, Costa Coffee, Kiva, Alkami, Mondia Media, Bringmeister.de, Simplesurance, Confused.com, ReachLocal, Lending Club, Boozt.com, Trainline

New Relic Video

New Relic Pricing Advice

What users are saying about New Relic pricing:
  • "We feel it's a little bit pricey."
  • "This solution required a license and it is better than some other competitors."
  • "The solution is less expensive than AppNeta."
  • New Relic Reviews

Shuaib Gill - PeerSpot reviewer
    Test Lead Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    reliable with good monitoring and the capability to expand
    • "You don't have to go through a list of 500 servers."
    • "The customization of the start and end time is kind of cool."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor servers. It's just a log in New Relic. I set the start and end times, and then I just pull down the server metrics.

It's not the New Relic APM, it's just the New Relic. There is the one that is New Relic, and then is New Relic APM. It's a bit confusing.

Normally when I use it, it takes me 20 minutes to pull all the data, and I use it maybe once or twice in a month.

We would run a low test, and then after the test, we would log into New Relic and then look at things, including: what are the top five slowest interactions on the servers? What are the slowest database calls? Then, we just pull the graphs from New Relic, and then we give it to the customer and show them here are the calls are being made the most, and that correlates to a slow response time. Then they'll be able to focus on it and try to maybe fix it.

How has it helped my organization?

There's another user on our team that sets up the list of servers that need to be monitored. You just click on those servers and then from there you can pull all the data, so that's really helpful. You don't have to go through a list of 500 servers. You click on one server, and it brings up ten servers that are in that environment. You don't have to choose those same ten every time. Instead, you just click on that one link. You just have to click on the name of the group you want to look at, and it'll pull metrics for those same ten or 15 servers each time. That's very helpful.

What is most valuable?

The customization of the start and end time is kind of cool.

It's stable.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

One of the metrics is total time. I would like to see the true response time of a particular call. It might say top five slowest calls. However, I don't know how they're calculating it. Maybe if they could have documentation for how those things are calculated, that would be a lot easier. If they say the top five slowest methods and the slowest one is three seconds, yet we know that there's a process that's taking ten seconds, it can be kind of confusing. If they could add in their help files, how these columns are calculated, that would make it more transparent. They need to clarify: What does it mean, total time? And how do they calculate the total time? How do they calculate average time? How do they calculate the top five slowest? What is it actually pulling?

I would like to see them introduce integration with LoadRunner; that's a bit easier.

New Relic
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about New Relic. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for six to eight months.

It's a very stable product. Overall it's a good product.

We have eight or ten people using the solution at this time. It is used occasionally, once or twice a month, just to pull out the data for the server monitoring and for the reports.

The solution can scale well.

I've never called New Relic support. I never really needed to.

I'm also aware of Dynatrace. In Dynatrace, they have an integration with LoadRunner. You just have to add one or two lines of code in LoadRunner, and it will integrate with that, which is really good.

New Relic doesn't have the option of integration with LoadRunner.

I did not install New Relic. By the time I was put on the project, it had already been installed.

They just let me know the ID and password, and I just logged in, and that was it.

As far as pricing goes, I heard that they charge per user ID. If we have ten people with ten IDs right now, if we want to add another five more, they'll charge us for each ID, so that is something that is maybe a concern. I actually heard this from one of their competitors. I've heard Dynatrace say that New Relic's pricing model was very expensive, so that would be a concern.

I'm not sure of the exact price of each user ID.

What other advice do I have?

My organization is a customer of New Relic.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it had better, easier integrations, I'd rate it higher.

Pradeep Ravichandran - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    A solution with great synthetics, alerts, and native inbuilt capabilities for monitoring the cloud
    • "The synthetics, alerts, and native inbuilt capabilities for monitoring the cloud with the New Relic agents have been helpful."
    • "The connectivity between legacy and newer cloud applications is not great."

What is our primary use case?

We recently purchased the Splunk SAM module and are exploring whether it is worth integrating the ITSM module. We are deciding if we can have a proper platform or if we should go with features that New Relic offers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We had some issues with the New Relic platform showing the sample traces because we want the entire traces to be listed as we are capturing some end-to-end metrics. So we thought it was not just the sample data we needed but the details of every transaction that goes through to the application. The New Relic team is helping fix this, and they have an option we are using in the meantime.

The thing missing from these platforms is connectivity. All the solutions work well with the cloud solutions, but the connectivity between legacy and newer cloud applications is not great. In addition, none of these tools can do end-to-end traceability across the different applications.

We have been using this solution for about four years.

It is a stable solution.

Regarding scalability, we recently extended our contract with New Relic for the next two years.

Regarding support, I think they have a pretty good support team. We have a current issue, and their technical team is on it. They're re-platforming, and there are a lot of alerting modules, so they advised of a bug. We hadn't faced an issue in four years where an existing functionality broke, and this was the first time. They're supporting us around the clock to get it fixed. The support team is also open to feedback. For example, we were building automation solutions and recommended that New Relic have native integration with AWS, so they added an event bridge integration with the AWS platform. So the alerting triggered from New Relic can be sent as an event to the AWS so we can complete our ops, like self-remediation and auto-healing. It's the feedback we provided that supported them in building the product that we needed.

We were using Dynatrace before, and then we switched to New Relic.

We got professional services from New Relic to help with the setup, and they were very helpful. In 2018, we went with their professional services, and their pricing was better at the time and comparatively lower than Dynatrace's. We were shelling out almost a million dollars per year for Dynatrace, but we saved some money once we moved to New Relic. Their professional services were about 60K when we used their support. I recently moved to a new team after a long time, and we have weekly connects with the New Relic team, and there has been a complete restructuring of the teams. So previously, the professional services were topnotch, but it is not as good now.

We feel it's a little bit pricey compared to Splunk. We haven't explored Dynatrace because we have invested so much in New Relic. New Relic changed its pricing model. Initially, we planned to put it into all the systems, but with all the pricing and strategy, we decided to refrain from monitoring. It costs about 600k to 700K per year.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. Regarding advice, compared to Dynatrace, Dynatrace is adopting a lot more than New Relic. The problem is we are invested so much in New Relic. We are still trying to decide if New Relic is good for our company or if we should move to Dynatrace or SignalFx. I am not the best person to make that conclusion.

New Relic
    November 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Middleware Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great features with simple browser implementation and provides access from anywhere
    • "It allows the restriction of privileges and control of users."
    • "The solution only supports the cloud platform and not on-premises."

What is our primary use case?

We have both the mobile and web applications which use the APIs in the back end. The New Relic Browser also monitors all our review servers and has mobile and browser compatibility. Most of our stakeholders view the data on mobile and don't need to open their laptops.

Stakeholders can install New Relic on a mobile device, whether iOS or Android and monitor the enrolment. It is more compatible with the mobile device, but we can view it on the web browser, and the same features are supported for both. In addition, stakeholders can access the system 24-7 and can monitor it from anywhere, anytime.

What is most valuable?

We can view the system in one view, showing the utilization and server activity. It lets us tell if our server utilization is high, conduct a memories review, and view it in one dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The solution only supports the cloud platform and not on-premises. Therefore, they should assess supporting the licensing on-premises as well.

Stability is good, and we had no challenges while accessing the New Relic system from the browser.

Scalability is good, and there are no limitations. Once we add our users to our account, they can access it anywhere in the browser. We have never experienced any technical problems.

We have more than 30 users that are already configured in our system. The pricing depends on the number of users we have, and we currently have only about five or ten active users out of the 30. Only our operations team typically accesses the browser.

We have four to five people who maintain and manage the day-to-day operations. They have other tasks at the company and are not dedicated solely to the maintenance of this solution. They monitor how the servers are performing and get alerts to their emails.

New Relic technical support is good whenever we raise a ticket. They reply and provide knowledge sharing for new features. For example, before the COVID-19 pandemic, they would come into our office and share knowledge with all the operational and delivery teams and others using the New Relic system. Their support and contributions are good whenever we need them.

The initial setup was straightforward and didn't require much work on the browser configuration. The user administration is also good if there is an existing New Relic account. It allows the restriction of privileges and control of users accessing complete information. In addition, it provides for a bucket of developers, stakeholders and operations and restrictions of certain access to view dashboards or features.

Browser implementation is also simple when an account and servers are added to the New Relic system. Those servers are automatically reflected on the New Relic account, and we don't need to do much. It is straightforward, and once we configure the agent, all our servers are under our account.

The pricing is a bit high, but the features are very good. It costs about 1500 per month, but historical information was something we had to buy at an additional cost. Other than that, the rest of the capabilities and features are bundled in one package.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of ten. We have never faced any issues with this solution, and we are not worried about the technical capability. If we have a team that understands the system and the new capabilities, it can be used effectively.

Patrick Grajales - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Simple implementation, effective script configuration, and useful documentation
    • "The solution is scalable, and it is easy because all the documentation is available."
    • "There are times when you restart the engines and the servers have a unique ID for the host and you need to remove the server. It is difficult because some are on-premise and others are production hosts. Having downtime is not very good when updating. However, it is not a constant issue."

What is our primary use case?

I used New Relic Insights to create dashboards, to receive some metrics regarding performance, and alerts regarding any kind of issues with the performance. Additionally, we used it for SQL and Oracle to receive metrics related to performance, such as CPU and memory.

Depending on the type of dashboards we wait for some time and then we build alerts in New Relic Insights for the metrics to prevent issues.

What needs improvement?

I have used New Relic Insights within the last 12 months.

We have some performance issues with the servers. Sometimes the server is consuming a lot of CPU or memory, and New Relic Insights fails. They don't receive any information from the server or to the dashboard.

There were approximately 11 people using this solution in my organization.

I have not contacted support. There is a lot of documentation available and you can search it globally. You can find a lot of the content on various topics regarding your issue.

The installation was simple. We don't need to use a user interface to install it. We can use two or three commands in the PowerShell or three or two commands in the batch. One device can take 10 minutes, and 100 devices can take one hour depending on many factors.

The script takes the information for the device from the system information but if you are using an interface, such as a wizard, you need to modify files and put all the information regarding the devices and environment, such as the license and hostname. All the information should be put in there. It is very easy.

To set up the metrics, you need to build the dashboard and after that, when you add a new device, it's automatically added.

To receive all the metrics for each system regarding its application, the user in the interface for all the dashboards can type the hostname and can see all the tools in that host, it is a very powerful view. You can modify some of the parameters to fit your needs.

One person can do the implementation. However, depending on how many devices you have it could require a little more work. There are third-party scripts that are available to install New Relic Insights across all devices.

In AWS or Azure, we have a root command that can select multiple devices making the process easier.

There was zero maintenance needed for New Relic Insights, it automatically updates.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is for them to create a test environment and try different operating systems, such as Windows and Linux. Test different applications in both environments to see what fits the use case best.

I rate New Relic Insights an eight out of ten.

Senior Associate Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    User-friendly, easy to use, and useful guided installation
    • "The most valuable feature of New Relic is its ease of use."
    • "New Relic does enable frontend performance monitoring by default. However, when we are troubleshooting the issue, New Relic is not able to trace back to the service where the issue is. Other solutions, such as Dynatrace are better."

What is our primary use case?

The main purpose we are using New Relic is to enable application backend and frontend performance monitoring. We enable synthetic monitoring for the application team and for the business owners of the applications. Additionally, we
    on-host integration for different DBs, SQL, and Oracle.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of New Relic is its ease of use.

What needs improvement?

Dynatrace provides security vulnerabilities for all applications and this is where New Relic lacks. Additionally, there should be more use cases for automation.

From the application team's perspective, they should be able to identify the issue before it occurs. This is the main feature that any monitoring tool should have.  New Relic was not able to trace back to the original method of the transactions where the issue occurred. This area needs to be improved.

I have been using New Relic for approximately two years.

New Relic is a highly stable solution.

New Relic is scalable. I have not seen an issue with the scalability. We have over 600 applications and a very high number of users using the solution and there has not ever been a performance issue.

I have contacted the support from New Relic when things do not work as expected or when some framework is not supported. Some of the support agents do not get back to us for weeks, but others do answer more quickly. The support could improve.

I rate the support from New Relic a five out of ten.

Neutral

I have used AppDynamics previously and New Relic is easier to use and user-friendly.

I have also used Dyatrace and prefer New Relic because of its license and usability. However, if I look at the features I then would choose Dynatrace, it has more features.

The initial setup of New Relic is easy. I do not have to use the documentation a lot of the time because it has a guided installation method. We have automated a lot of the tasks needed with other tools such as Ansible and ServerNow catalog tasks.

The deployment of 20 or 30 servers without automation would take a lot of time. There are many different agents and components. There are other solutions that are not as difficult, such as Dynatrace. However, they only have one module.

This solution required a license and it is better than some other competitors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to new users of this solution is it's easy to use and look for the most secure features.

I rate New Relic an eight out of ten.

I gave my rating because the solution provides simplicity and the license is one of the best compared to other tools.

DevOps and Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    An excellent solution for time series and operational analyses
    • "The solution is good for sending alerts, drawing graphs about system usage, and creating plug-ins."
    • "The solution should include more detailed reports for SQL database requests."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution for time series analysis.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution should include more detailed reports for SQL database requests.

I have been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable and working fine.

The solution is scalable and has been used for both small and big projects that scaled over time with no issues.

Technical support is knowledgeable, responds quickly, and provides good assistance.

I rate support a ten out of ten.

Positive

We migrated from AppNeta because the solution is more stable and cost effective.

The setup is easy and plug-ins can be written for any differences required.

I rate setup a ten out of ten.

We implement the solution in-house for customers and offer both on-premises and cloud options.

I prefer the on-premises option because I like to configure and set things up rather than using ready-to-go options.

The solution does not require ongoing maintenance because it works fine and runs with no troubles.

The solution is less expensive than AppNeta.

There were some benefits to using AppNeta. It provided more detailed stats and graphs for hosting products. If you need more specific digitalization based on system stats, you might want to go with AppNeta. For our use cases, it was less stable and more expensive than the solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is an excellent product for time series and operation analyses. It is a good and stable solution, has a good price, includes good usability features, and includes good support.

I rate the solution a ten out of ten.

Yadvendra-Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Simple to deploy and good support but needs a better dashboard
    • "It has a simple initial setup."
    • "The browser isn't exactly reliable."

What is most valuable?

The APM is great.

The solution can scale well.

We've found support to be helpful.

It has a simple initial setup.

What needs improvement?

The browser isn't exactly reliable.

There are dashboard issues that need to be dealt with.

There's no proper management of roles and divisions. For example, let's say if I create a dashboard and I want to give access only to a set of people and not to the other set of people, I can't do that, and that's where it has a lot of problems. If I develop a dashboard for myself, everyone else has an access to it. There's no proper access management. You just add someone to the platform, he gets access to all the dashboards. Yet there should be proper division of people who need to have access to a certain dashboard.

I've been using the solution for three years.

While the APM is stable, the browser itself isn't too reliable.

It's a scalable, reliable solution.

We have 30 to 40 people working on the solution generally.

The technical support is quite good.

Positive

The solution is very simple to set up. I'd rate the entire implementation and deployment experience a five out of five.

I've not witnessed any ROI. That's beyond my scope.

I'm not aware of the exact licensing cost. The contracts are handled at an organizational level.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with New Relic.

I'd advise potential new users to go through the docs first. They have very good documentation. Anybody who's going to start should first start with reading the documentation in order to get a good understanding of the product.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher if the browser rate was more reliable.

Download our free New Relic Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022