Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Mule ESB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Mule ESB is #2 ranked solution in top ESB (Enterprise Service Bus) tools. PeerSpot users give Mule ESB an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Mule ESB is most commonly compared to IBM Integration Bus: Mule ESB vs IBM Integration Bus. Mule ESB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Mule ESB Buyer's Guide

Download the Mule ESB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Mule ESB?
For companies looking to modernize and unlock the value of existing on-premises systems and applications, an enterprise service bus (ESB) architecture serves as a critical foundation layer for SOA. When deployed as an ESB, the Mule runtime engine of Anypoint Platform combines the power of data and application integration across legacy systems and SaaS applications, with a seamless path to the other capabilities of Anypoint Platform and the full power of API-led connectivity.
Mule ESB Customers
Ube, PacificComp, University of Witwatersrand, Justice Systems, Camelot
Mule ESB Video

Mule ESB Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Mule ESB pricing:
  • "Most of the challenges that I had with this solution were for smaller customers. There is not a good licensing model or pricing model. It is more expensive than other solutions, and that's the downside of MuleSoft. I had to be creative to be able to sell it to the business, but we did. This is something they have to work on because for large companies, it's affordable, but for small and medium businesses, it's very hard to sell."
  • "Mule ESB is a costly solution. We pay approximately $80,000 annually for the system. The cost of the number of instances, annual subscription, and cloud hosting services are expensive."
  • Mule ESB Reviews

Vice President at a philanthropy with 1-10 employees
    Scaled easily, had good ROI and time to value, and didn't require taking care of the infrastructure
    • "It was pretty fast to develop APIs on this platform, which is something I liked about it. So, the time to value was pretty good."
    • "From the product perspective, it was sometimes hard to manage the dependencies. When we had to add dependencies on a couple of different packages, it was sometimes confusing. It was hard to update them with Anypoint Studio, as well as with MuleSoft. There were challenges with that. So, that's one of the areas that could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We were using it for EDI. We were using it for integration between RFID portals and our ERP system. We were also using it for the integration of customer data between the CRM and the ERP systems. I am no longer using it because I changed the company.

We were using the cloud version.

What is most valuable?

When we bought the solution, it was an in-the-cloud or PaaS solution. Because of that, I didn't have to take care of the infrastructure, which was a big plus.

It was pretty fast to develop APIs on this platform, which is something I liked about it. So, the time to value was pretty good.

What needs improvement?

Its licensing or pricing model should be improved. If I compare it to other solutions, it is very expensive for small and medium businesses.

Their support should also be improved. Some of the tickets took a long time to be resolved, and I had to escalate to my account manager.

I used this solution for maybe five years.

Mule ESB
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Mule ESB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,550 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. It is also easily scalable.

I had about two developers internally, and they were taking care of its deployment and maintenance. In terms of the end users, it probably impacted hundreds or thousands of employees.

It was okay. There is room for improvement. I had some tickets that were taking a long time to be resolved, and I had to escalate to my account manager to push them through. I would rate them a three out of five.

In the latest implementation, we decided to start small with a very simple project that we had, which was customer integration between our CRM and ERP solutions. We started with a very small API. It was a small integration with only about three APIs, and that was it. We had success with it, and we ran it.

We did it in partnership with a third-party consultant, and then we took it from there. Our experience was very good.

Pretty good. I would rate it a four out of five.

Its licensing was yearly. There were minor fees additionally, but those were related to VPN's high availability. When you purchase MuleSoft, you purchase it because it is highly available. So, you have to make sure that your VPN can support that. That's pretty much it. The other tools that we picked were things to deploy the solution to build the CI/CD pipeline using MuleSoft. We picked the one that wasn't free. So, we had to pay for it, but it was a minor cost.

What other advice do I have?

They have a package to get you started. I would advise using at least a partner at the very beginning so that they can show you the best practices within MuleSoft and different layers of APIs. Sometimes, there are challenges around security and things like that. So, my advice is to get external help to get your developers started on it. Once they're taught the best practices, your intermediate to senior developers will pick it fairly quickly.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy and intuitive tool for developers but should have more customization capabilities
    • "This tool has exceptional API management and integration connectors in addition to multiple out of the box connectors."
    • "We would like the ability to use our own code. This would allow us to develop customizations with ease. Additionally, it would be nice to have more analytics or insights on the exchanged information between databases."

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution architect where I design solutions by leveraging integration tools, low-code platforms, and BPM platforms. We are using Mule EBS for transformation purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Mule allows us to transform our data into our desired outcome and then translate it. This allows it to be moved forward for further processing.

What is most valuable?

The UI is good. From a development perspective, it's pretty easy and pretty intuitive for the developers to work with. We have fresh graduates who have started picking up MuleSoft. Its user interface is pretty intuitive.

What needs improvement?

I am working on my third project that utilizes Mule.

The solution is quite stable. We have not experienced any stability related issues as of now.

We have not had any issues regarding up-scaling and other things. We are in the process of increasing the usage of Mule so that it can take up to two thousand requests per unit minute.

The last time I raised a ticket with them where we needed additional guidance, they were pretty good and responsive. On one of my previous projects that I worked with where we needed some information or we needed some additional guidance from them, we were able to collaborate with them and solve the issue pretty quickly.

The initial setup was straightforward as we chose to go with the Mule cloud where the infrastructure was taken care of by them. We only needed to ensure connectivity between on-premise databases/systems and Mule cloud.

Because it's their cloud, the setup is much easier. It would be interesting to see what the setup is like for an on-premise or hybrid environment. It might be a completely different setup. It would probably be more complex because you have to go through certain process to ensure the compliance and the security standards of the organization are met, and that the connectivity is established.

We looked in to using Apache Camel and TIBCO.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a pretty good tool to have it when you try to go with a microservices type of an architecture where you want to decouple your systems and where you want all the systems to talk to each other, share that knowledge, and create those experiences that you want as part of your digital transformation journey. This tool perfectly fits that. It's a good tool to have as part of your digital transformation journey.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Other
    Mule ESB
    September 2022
    634,550 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Palavesam Subbiah - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Well performing and easy to use solution
    • "What Mule provides out-of-box is a sufficient product."
    • "There are limitations with the subscription model that comes with the product."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented the Mule solution for our orchestration. We use it to follow up with the customer so the online order gets orchestrated to the target automated system.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are that the product is updated regularly and Mule's framework. Overall the performance is good.

For our current solution, I think what Mule provides out-of-box is a sufficient product.

What needs improvement?

As for what can be improved, in my experience the SMPT connectors need some improvement.

It definitely takes some amount of integration knowledge but it is still pretty easy to learn. But I would request that the documentation be more informative. That would help the development community to understand the solution better, to deal with whatever challenges they face and ensure they'll be able to solve them on their own.

The integrations are complicated so maybe that aspect of the solution should also be made simpler to use so that it wouldn't require such experienced resources to build a more complex integration.

Additionally, there are limitations with the subscription model that comes with the product. If you subscribe to the platinum subscription, you get more benefits. Now there are limitations in keeping the logs and the ability to handle the max of 30 days. They could improve that.

Lastly, they could provide us a bit more coding features.

I have been using Mule ESB for past one and a half years.

In terms of stability, we did found some bugs which we reported to Mule support, but overall I would say it's good.

Mule ESB's scalability is pretty good. It performs well.

In terms of numbers of people using the solution, actually Mule ESB plays an integrated role, so none of the users directly use it. But otherwise if you ask the production team and the development team, I would say close to 20 members are using this platform.

We definitely plan on increasing usage for Mule ESB because our customer is starting to do more AP's on the platform.

I think customer support is good. The support team responds to us, but due to some challenges in the product core, we are still waiting for them to respond to some issues.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I know that the setup is straightforward, but I did not do it myself. One person from our team did it. Everything is straightforward and pretty easy, including the deployment and the promotion from one level to another level.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Mule ESB for others to evaluate when they are choosing a product.

On a scale of one to ten, I would definitely rate Mule ESB an eight.

For it to be a higher rating they would need to improve the recording logs and encoding feature.

Private Cloud
    Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Offers multiple deployment options
    • "The solution offers multiple deployment options."
    • "It would be great to see implementing security modules as a feature."

What is our primary use case?

At the moment, we are using MuleSoft 4, for which I am a certified developer. We use version 4.3.

What is most valuable?

We can do very fast development of the orchestrations of MuleSoft. The design patents which we use for integration patents are also a nice feature.

The solution also offers multiple deployment options. I like the endpoint time manager and the access policies.

What needs improvement?

In respect of the UI or the interface, a concept such as that offered by Microgateway would be preferable. We basically use ESB for the gateways. Yet, sometimes when we make use of on-premises standard applications, we require a Microgateway or sidecar proxy products or sidecar proxy-type gateways. This should be addressed.

A Microgateway type of application should be available for lending support to MuleSoft. When it comes to standalone applications, it would be better if a sidecar proxy were available, rather than the security models being implemented inside the application. The sidecar proxies make things very simple in respect of microservices.

It would be great to see implementing security modules as a feature.

I have been working with MuleSoft for the past seven years.

Our current requirements are not great. The version we currently use, 4.3, is much more stable at present. It has good stability.

The scalability is good. It varies with the request I receive or the application size. It can be done with much ease.

Technical support is more in the purview of developers.

The installation time depends on the product being deployed and the size of the application. What we are using at the moment would not require installation of more than an hour. We usually would receive a zip file that we would insert into the server, at which point we could start with the deployment. We have a command for the installation of the licenses and even this depends on the type of job involved. That is all. I would put the installation time at no more than 35 to 40 minutes.

I have done the installation on my own many times. I have this product on my personal laptop, as well and usually install it on my small machines.

What other advice do I have?

As with our other applications, MuleSoft is on-premises, but we make use of a hybrid strategy involving the use of an endpoint cloud and agent. While our initial deployment was on-premises, our control plane is on endpoint in the cloud.

I am a MuleSoft developer and am working for a client. The company which I work for is a partner with MuleSoft.

I would recommend MuleSoft to others.

While what we are using for our current project is more than sufficient, it would be nice to see Microgateway added as a feature.

I rate the solution as an eight out of ten.

PurbayanSaha - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate Consultant at Wipro
    It has a user-friendly design with everything all in one place
    • "Mule ESB has a user-friendly design, and everything is in one place. The API and architecture are popular right now. Also, MuleSoft has a large and supportive online community."
    • "MuleSoft isn't as mature as some other integration technologies out there like IBM WebSphere. There's room for growth, and MuleSoft is working toward that."

What is our primary use case?

My current client is using Oracle Fusion Middleware as their integration platform, and they want us to build a new platform enabling the same functionality using MuleSoft.

What is most valuable?

Mule ESB has a user-friendly design, and everything is in one place. The API and architecture are popular right now. Also, MuleSoft has a large and supportive online community.

What needs improvement?

MuleSoft isn't as mature as some other integration technologies out there like  IBM WebSphere. There's room for growth, and MuleSoft is working toward that. They're already implementing a graph system, which should help organize the APIs in a branched way. It looks more like a relational database now. They're also working on MuleSoft Composer. These are the features that they're working on.

We've used Mule ESB for four years now.

Mule ESB is stable.

Mule ESB is scalable.

I haven't personally contacted MuleSoft support. Our team has contacted them during some test scenarios, and they were responsive. I would rate MuleSoft support a solid nine out of 10 based on my limited experience with them.

I have little experience with Oracle Fusion. It's quite good, but the interface is pretty old-fashioned. I worked with IBM WebSphere as well. That was a big part of another project I worked on, but these are the two technologies I've used.

Currently, I'm working with Oracle Fusion. These solutions require elaborate coding, so you need to be extremely experienced in programming, with the ability to write tons of complex code. It's good to have a solid background in coding, but you shouldn't need to be an expert to work.

Mule ESB isn't difficult to set up, but there are specific procedures you need to follow. Prerequisites need to be in place to set up the whole environment. It's straightforward once you set up the platform.

After deployment, it doesn't require much maintenance. Most things can be automated, so you don't need someone to always monitor the solution.  Ultimately, it depends on your use case.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Mule ESB nine out of 10. It works well for me. If you're using Mule ESB for the first time, I recommend taking advantage of the free training. If you go through that training, you'll have a basic understanding of the technology. That's a good starting point.

Senior Software Engineer at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Best for microservices-based architecture and easy to deploy and manage
    • "It is easily deployable and manageable. It has microservices-based architecture, which means that you can deploy the solution based on your needs, and you can manage the solution very easily."
    • "It should have some amount of logging."

What is our primary use case?

This is an enterprise service bus, and it is mainly used for transferring data. For example, it is used when System A has the data that needs to be sent to System B.

Our use case is transferring the enterprise data from one enterprise to a different enterprise. We use different types of connectors or connections to get the data, transform the data, and send it to a system. Almost all the integrations work in the same manner.

It can be deployed on-premise, but nowadays, most of us prefer cloud-based solutions.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and easy to understand.

It is easily deployable and manageable. It has microservices-based architecture, which means that you can deploy the solution based on your needs, and you can manage the solution very easily.

What needs improvement?

It should have some amount of logging.

I've been using this solution for almost two years.

It is stable.

It can scale based on your needs. It is scalable vertically and horizontally.

We have used it in many projects. Its usage might increase. It depends on the high-level management. If new products are coming, they're going to use it for sure.

Their response is based on the subscription. If you are experiencing any production-related issues, they're immediately available.

There are various levels of tech support, and the service depends upon the level of support to which you have subscribed. Titanium support is at the highest level.

We have used webMethods, which is an on-prem solution.

For a cloud-based deployment, there is no need for us to manage anything. It is directly deployable. We build and deploy it. That's all.

For an on-prem deployment, a lot more installation is required, but it is a very easy process.

We can do an on-prem deployment ourselves. Developers mainly focus on the development aspect of the solutions, and admins manage all deployments.

We didn't evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is the best integration platform for those who are looking to implement or are going for API-based architecture and microservices-based architecture.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Jose-Ramirez - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Developer at Softtek
    Modernized the way my company offers services and improved the user experience
    • "The solution improved my company by modernizing the way we offer services and improving the user experience."
    • "In the next release, I would like to see improvement in the generator for the DataWeave language so that it's a little more graphic."

What is our primary use case?

When I worked for the Sprint telephone company, we used the solution as a bridge between their legacy systems and the front end. We developed a lot of the functionality, for example, logging into users' accounts and activating cell phones.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution improved the company by modernizing the way they offer services and improving the user experience.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see improvement in the generator for the DataWeave language so that it's a little more graphic.

I've been using Mule ESB since 2016, so about six years.

The stability of the solution is great. In fact, the stability is another improvement that the solution brought to the company.

The solution has great scalability.

I previously used an eCommerce platform called Intershop, but it's not really an ESB. Intershop allows for the development of the whole eCommerce system, from the back end to the front end. I switched to Mule due to the needs of a new project that I was starting because it acts as a bridge between legacy systems and front-end systems.

It was kind of straightforward. We had to study their legacy systems and then make some kind of mapping between those legacy systems and the RESTful APIs handled by Mule.

We used a consultant directly from MuleSoft for deployment. It took about an hour or two to deploy the solution, plus time for testing.

What other advice do I have?

To those looking into implementing this solution, I would say that you will enjoy the experience of using Mule.

I would rate this solution as a ten out of ten.

Santosh Solapurkar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager at Deloitte
    Plenty of documentation, flexible, and reliable
    • "The most valuable features of Mule ESB are its ease of use, documentation, ease to adapt to newer security and vulnerabilities, and a lot of help available. Additionally, there is a lot of flexibility, many patches available, and they provide APIs. They are a market standard."
    • "The price of Mule ESB could improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use Mule ESB for integrating with third-party vendors. Mule ESB bridge between internal systems and third-party systems. Additionally, we use it for enterprise, web, and APIs services.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price of Mule ESB could improve.

I have been using Mule ESB for approximately four years.

Mule ESB is a stable solution.

The scalability of Mule ESB is very good.

Mule ESB has been in use since 2008. It has been a long-running tool and application and has supported multiple phases.

Mule ESB is easy to set up, configure, and change the configuration. It only takes a couple of days to make any changes the client asks for. The longest project we had using Mule ESB was one week.

We do the implementation and support of Mule ESB. The solution is easily maintained and manageable.

What other advice do I have?

We are thinking about moving away from Mule ESB and using Red Hat because of the high costs of Mule ESB. However, Mule ESB is a good solution.

We propose Mule ESB in terms of solutions for any kind of enterprise service bus application.

I rate Mule ESB a nine out of ten.

Download our free Mule ESB Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022