Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is #8 ranked solution in top Anti-Malware Tools and #13 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Exchange Online Protection an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is most commonly compared to Proofpoint Email Protection: Microsoft Exchange Online Protection vs Proofpoint Email Protection. Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Anti-Malware Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft Exchange Online Protection?

Exchange Online Protection (EOP) is the cloud-based filtering service that helps protect your organization against spam and malware. EOP is included in all Microsoft 365 organizations with Exchange Online mailboxes.

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection was previously known as Microsoft EOP, MS Exchange Online Protection.

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection Video

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Exchange Online Protection pricing:
"The price could be lower."

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection Reviews

Tim Platson - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at One Click
MSP
Protects our customers from spammers
  • "It has a really nice web-based administration console."
  • "I think the implementation could be more streamlined."

What is our primary use case?

It's a spam filter and an antivirus solution. It protects our clients from spammers.

What is most valuable?

It has a really nice web-based administration console. Thanks to this, our clients are not tied to a particular server or workstation. They can just hit a URL anywhere in the enterprise and view the console.

The included patch management system is really good. It keeps itself up to date which is critical when you're dealing with anti-virus and spam filtering. Overall, I think it's really a great product.

What needs improvement?

It kind of has a heavy footprint — in terms of an implementation footprint. I think the implementation could be more streamlined. The implementation could be more flexible in terms of allowing users to pick and choose where they want to deploy.

Personally, I like to be able to pick and choose what I'm implementing and where I am implementing it in the environment instead of having to install the whole stack.

In the next release, I would like to see them add some features beyond just spam and anti-virus. Maybe some bulk email tools — in terms of being able to send them from within the environment. Send group emails, send information to the administration team; I'd like to see them add some MailChimp kind of functionality or mailing lists.

Instead of just providing spam and anti-virus filtering, I'd like to see them add more feature functionality. The one thing that I don't like is that it's very much a point product. It just does what it does, very specialized. I think this industry as a whole is going away from point products and heading towards suites — integrated suites that do a number of different things. I think that they would be wise to fold this into a broader overall suite of products.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange Online Protection for roughly 15-16 years.

Anti-Malware Tools
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Trend Micro, TitanHQ and others in Anti-Malware Tools. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is exceptionally stable. It scales excellently for what it's used for.

The technical support is outstanding.

The initial setup is straightforward.

ROI-wise, this solution has been great.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in using this solution, make sure you understand the technical requirements and deploy it somewhere where it will have access both inside and outside that it needs. Inside, it needs to see the mail stores, and outside it needs to be able to download the packages that it needs to provide the spam and anti-virus filtering with protection.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.

Carlo Du Plessis - PeerSpot reviewer
Security Specialist at Engen
Scans and protects emails, attachments, and URLs against threats and has good integration with Windows
  • "What I like most about Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is its integration with Windows, so we have one central view for all alerts and incidents."
  • "Having orchestration features added to Microsoft Exchange Online Protection, particularly automation and remediation, would be quite useful."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Exchange Online Protection for scanning and protecting email attachments and URLs. Primarily we use Mimecast for URL protection, but it's good to have a second step, particularly Microsoft Exchange Online Protection, just in case something slips through.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is its integration with Windows, so we have one central view for all alerts and incidents.

What needs improvement?

I'm pretty happy with Microsoft Exchange Online Protection, so off the top of my head, I can't think of any reason for me to want to change something in the solution.

Having orchestration features added to Microsoft Exchange Online Protection, particularly automation and remediation, would be quite useful.

I've been using Microsoft Exchange Online Protection for five or six years.

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is quite stable.

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is a scalable solution.

I haven't contacted technical support for Microsoft Exchange Online Protection.

Before Microsoft Exchange Online Protection, we used Mimecast. We still use Mimecast, but for an antimalware solution, we've always used what's available on Windows.

I didn't configure the solution, so I can't tell if the setup was straightforward or complex. Our Exchange administrators were the ones who set up Microsoft Exchange Online Protection.

We implemented the solution in-house.

Our license for Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is covered by our enterprise agreement.

What other advice do I have?

There are three thousand users of Microsoft Exchange Online Protection in our company. There is no plan to increase the number of users, at least not in the near future.

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is quite a difficult product. I would recommend it because it's a good product. My advice to others looking into using it is to make sure their rules are configured correctly, and they have turned on all the necessary features.

I'm rating Microsoft Exchange Online Protection eight out of ten.

Anti-Malware Tools
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Consultant at HCL Technologies
Reseller
An easily scalable, cloud-based solution that would benefit from an update to its in-built policy application
  • "We like the holding facility that is available for potentially suspicious URL's. This allows a real-time review to be performed before the email reaches a users inbox."
  • "We would like the solution to have more in-built intelligence in the way that it reviews potential security risks, rather than our team constantly having to update the policies."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product to provide full email security protection policies.

What is most valuable?

We like the holding facility that is available for potentially suspicious URLs.  This allows a real-time review to be performed before the email reaches a user's inbox.

What needs improvement?

We would like the solution to have more in-built intelligence in the way that it reviews potential security risks, rather than our team constantly having to update the policies.

We have been using this solution for around 15 years.

We have found the stability of this solution to be good.

We have found the solution to be easily scalable when new users need to be added; this is a multi-tenant product.

We have found the support to be good.  However, the default first line of issue resolution for this product is the online community and FAQ pages.

The initial setup was very straightforward due to the solution being completely cloud-based.

Licenses for this solution are available as packages of different tiers. The package will differ depending on the features that an organization wants, but all packages come with some default features included.

What other advice do I have?

We would advise organizations who wish to build customized policies that this will increase the implementation time for this solution.

We would also advise organizations to carry out extensive testing before implementing this solution; this will ensure that it is set up exactly the way that they need it to be.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant
Muhammad_Irfan - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Network Administrator at ACMC
An easy solution with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

It is an easy solution. It is useful for local users and our company because we use Microsoft 365. It is also free with Microsoft 365.

What needs improvement?

The security features could be better and more secure in the next release.

We have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have more than 200 users using this solution using Microsoft accounts and emails.

The deployment was easy. We have a hybrid solution. We have Exchange, we have Office 365, and we can create Office 365 users. So if we want to create with Exchange, we can also do that. And all our incoming emails go through Office 365 Online Protection.

We've used technical support a few times, and they've helped us.

The initial setup was straightforward. It has already established standards that are configured.

The solution has annual licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Ozgur-Ekinci - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Operations Manager at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
Is scalable, stable, and fairly easy to install

What is most valuable?

It's definitely scalable.

What needs improvement?

The price could be lower.

Microsoft has some training portals, but more could be developed.

Additional documentation could be added.

It's stable if you take care of it, but it's not an install-it-and-forget-about-it kind of product. You have to maintain it.

It's definitely scalable.

The quality of the technical support is good, but the speed could be better. I would rate it at three on a scale from one to five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Negative

It's neither very easy nor very complex to deploy Microsoft Exchange Online Protection. It's in-between. On a scale from one to five, I would rate deployment at three.

The price could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at eight.

Download our free Anti-Malware Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Trend Micro, TitanHQ, and more!
Updated: September 2022