ITRS Geneos OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ITRS Geneos is the #6 ranked solution in APM tools, #13 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools, and #14 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give ITRS Geneos an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. ITRS Geneos is most commonly compared to Splunk: ITRS Geneos vs Splunk. ITRS Geneos is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 83% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 67% of all views.
ITRS Geneos Buyer's Guide

Download the ITRS Geneos Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is ITRS Geneos?

ITRS Geneos is a real-time monitoring tool designed for managing increasingly complex, hybrid and interconnected IT estates.

Built with financial services and trading organisations in mind, it collects a wide range of data relating to server performance, infrastructure, trading, connectivity and applications, and analyses it to provide relevant information and alerts in real time.

Geneos can give full stack visibility across highly dynamic environments and presents all the information through a single pane of glass and its configurable and customisable dashboards provide end-to-end visibility to both technical and business users.

For more information, please visit https://www.itrsgroup.com/products/geneos

ITRS Geneos was previously known as Geneos.

ITRS Geneos Customers

ITRS Geneos is used by over 170 financial institutions, including JPMorgan, HSBC, RBS, Deutsche Bank and Goldman Sachs. Clients range from investment banks to exchanges and brokers.

ITRS Geneos Video

ITRS Geneos Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ITRS Geneos pricing:
  • "When I first came in, their pricing was very high. ITRS had a high expectation of what their price should be based on perceived value. I think they have been realizing, more recently, that there are other competitors, so their pricing is a lot better. Licensing for on-premise is okay, however I feel there is quite some work to be done for cloud and containers. We're still working with them to try and work out what that pricing should look like."
  • "Given our spend and the amount of service we have in it, the pricing is quite reasonable."
  • "The pricing is fairly market-related. They have been very lenient because we have been working with them for so long. An example is that we're currently migrating some of our services to AWS, and they've given us a grace period for some of the things to help with the migration and not to grow additional costs while we are migrating, but it's still on par with the market."
  • "It is expensive. They have to look at the model around when we move to cloud and how that's going to work. The licensing cost does pay off because of the improvements in support to our business."
  • "The pricing seems reasonable. We're happy enough with it."
  • ITRS Geneos Reviews

Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    You can easily pull data together onto a screen to show business flow
    • "The solution is used across the entire investment banking division, covering environments such as electronic trading, algo-trading, fixed income, FX, etc. It monitors that environment and enables a bank to significantly reduce down time. Although hard to measure, since implementation, we have probably seen some increased stability because of it and we have definitely seen teams a lot more aware of their environment. Consequently, we can be more proactive in challenging and improving previously undetected weaknesses."
    • "Mobile phone integration is probably not as rich as it could be."

What is our primary use case?

It is for application monitoring. So, we are using it for basic infrastructure, process up/down and log file monitoring to create metrics, and alerts. Then, we extended the use to cover creating more of a system management console, so we could stop and start a process from the console without having to go into the box to do the change.

Across the bank, every team needs to provide a Ready For Business status, which is shown in a centralised web page for ease of viewing. As the bank is very large, it is down to the application teams as to what tool they choose to use, and in this instance individuals would manually update the webpage status for their area. We used Geneos to start automating that process, which helps provide a holistic health across all applications, and due to the nature of Geneos, also enables downstream applications to understand the health of their upstream providers.

Geneos is an agent that runs on the host. The agent collects the information, then provides it through to a console. The analysts can then see all the information coming through on the console.

How has it helped my organization?

We started linking applications together. As a large company with a lot of individual support teams, most teams will support their own application. However, if you think of it from a business flow point of view, the business requires those applications to work together for the business to actually work. We have been able to link the applications together and can see the health of applications, which are two to more steps removed from where we are. During an incident, people will first start looking at their own application, then realize there is nothing wrong with the application. So, they go and ask the upstream app team. Now, they can see if the app three steps before them has a problem, which is probably the reason why my app is not working as expected.

The solution is used across the entire investment banking division, covering environments such as electronic trading, algo-trading, fixed income, FX, etc. It monitors that environment and enables a bank to significantly reduce down time. Although hard to measure, since implementation, we have probably seen some increased stability because of it and we have definitely seen teams a lot more aware of their environment. Consequently, we can be more proactive in challenging and improving previously undetected weaknesses. For example, we recently started to use it for managing certificates when we were having issues with certificate expiry to validate that certificates were not due to expire, or had been correctly refreshed and as a result significantly reduced the certificate failures in this space by about 70 percent over a period of 12 months. This improvement was predominantly down to the visibility Geneos provided. Due to the certain standard configs leveraged with Geneos this enabled us to be very quick and nimble as we could just create the required scripts and push them out to all the Geneos instances to be deployed easily. So, all the different teams could leverage this capability with a high level of reuse.

In my previous role, I used to use Geneos for market data. It plugs into the Thomson Reuters platform and was very good on the market data. Geneos provides lightweight data collection that sits on the host, which we run on time-critical servers and it doesn't have any performance impacts when doing electronic trading.

If a server CPU is at 90 percent, you can get that alert within seconds with any monitoring system. Therefore, what is more relevant is:

• How do you manage those alerts?
    • How you consolidated those alerts so you are getting relevant information.

With Geneos, you can alert on certain thresholds, so there can be warnings, or if you have an action on it, then it can then bump it up to the top.

We are using it to set thresholds, so we can see what is occurring and intervene beforehand.

Before Geneos, we didn't really have an effective way of managing alerts.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility of the console is probably the biggest value. It is the ease in which you can pull the data together onto a screen. You can pivot the screen to however you choose to look at it. So, you can take a simple approach, and it can show business flow. Then, you can give it to a manager or business user who can see their flow and it quickly helps with the flow. Therefore, you create more of a technical view and look at more of the environment through a construction or routine lens.

The second biggest value is the ease of being able to configure and modify alerts to better manage them.

The third biggest value is that you can automate responses, so you can get it to run scripts. You can invoke a script automatically based on an event or can trigger manually if you want to carefully manage the situation. We also integrated it into ServiceNow, so if there is an event on the console, then we automatically generate a ticket, so there is an audit trail. The added benefit of ServiceNow integration is that you can leverage the on-call functionality to provide responses out of hours.

What needs improvement?

Mobile phone integration is probably not as rich as it could be.

Another area where I would like to see some improvement is around visualising the environment. At the moment, drawing the estate within Geneos is a very manual process, so it would be better if there was a reusable database behind it that can link the environment to the configuration. For example, read a CMDB to provide the view of how it works together. Or, if not feasible to read the CMDB, put the effort into creating your diagram and generating a CMDB from it. This would be very valuable because App teams have to pull stuff together, to show where host A is in relationship to host B, and at the moment this is a lot of manual effort with very little reusability.

ITRS Geneos
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about ITRS Geneos. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Geneos pretty much since I have been at the bank. I have been at the bank for eight years and used it in two roles. When I joined the bank, I headed up market data and the bank was already using Geneos. So, it was already in place when I joined. Then, I changed roles and moved into applications support for the front office, where I introduced Geneos and helped create an enterprise deal enabling it to be rolled out across all areas of the front office.

It is stable.

There is very little maintenance for Geneos itself. Sometimes, you have to upgrade it. Effort is more about building standards and improving the capability of the solution.

It scales relatively well.

About 8,000 hosts are covered by it.

User roles are predominantly application support.

The technical support is good. I haven't encountered them directly, but I know some guys who have and they have been relatively responsive.

I normally deal with the account team. I have had a number of sessions with them, which have been quite good. Where there have been gaps in the product, they have taken that feedback onboard, then tried to enhance the product.

Before Geneos, we didn't really have an effective way of managing alerts.

When I joined in market data, it was being used within market data. Then, I moved into investment banking. Since it was not being used in investment banking, so I took the product into the investment banking area.

There are different ways of doing it. I think installing Geneos itself is relatively straightforward. When you use Geneos to scale, then you can do it one of two ways:

1. You can give each team Geneos, and they can do it themselves. That is not ideal because they end up setting it up in slightly different ways.
    2. You can try to have a central team engineer it, which is better, but obviously it takes longer to do that.

If you said, "I have a small estate that I want to get monitored," then getting in and instrumenting your estate from zero to having it done can be done in a relatively short period of time.

When I rolled this out to my area, I just gave it to individual teams, as I felt we were behind where we needed to be from a monitoring perspective. I just said, "Look, get the product out there. Start using it. Let's get some value out of it. Then, at some point in the future, we will work out how we converge onto some standards." Which is what we did.

Another team, who came a little bit later, saw what we had done and the benefits we were getting, but had the benefit of having some central engineering team, took the time to engineer it and have a standard, then they pushed that standard across. Although this took longer to deploy, there are benefits because they can now do things quicker with that standard. My area then started converging onto that standard, but we had to kind of do almost a double build.

All things considered, if I went through the same thing again, I would still probably do it the way I did it because we started getting value out of the product straight away, which was critical for me due to the immaturity of our monitoring, rather than waiting to build a consistent approach, then pushing out.

For each team in each area, it probably took about two months to start getting them from zero to having it deployed, then getting value back on it. Some of them were quicker than that, if they had previous experience with it. For the teams that had zero experience, it probably took about two months. More sophisticated monitoring and automation takes a bit longer and if you are looking to instrument your whole environment, especially if you're doing it without any incremental / dedicated resources, then you are probably looking at a couple of years.

We didn't have any incremental bodies to go and do this. The existing production support team did it themselves. There was no additional funding to go and build this capability out. It was just the existing guys during their day job. I was like, "This will help you. Get this done, and start using it."

We have seen ROI because the environment is far better managed.

When I first came in, their pricing was very high. ITRS had a high expectation of what their price should be based on perceived value. I think they have been realizing, more recently, that there are other competitors, so their pricing is a lot better. Licensing for on-premise is okay, however I feel there is quite some work to be done for cloud and  containers. We're still working with them to try and work out what that pricing should look like.

In terms of value, you have to negotiate with them to get a good deal for the product, but that is no different to any other vendor. I think if you don't negotiate, then you will end up paying a relatively higher price for it. If you negotiate, you can get a lot better deal.

We have a tiered pricing model with an ELA. Every other year, we agree on what the pricing is. We work out how many licenses we are using. It is all predefined, because when we started the contract, we agreed the rate card and made sure that price increases were RPI type price increases.  I feel that is a good model, as previously we didn't have an ELA, we had loads of individual contracts and everyone was paying a different price. The pricing wasn't that competitive nor that great, but we spent some time putting all those contracts together to get a global pricing.

There are some optional add-ons, if you want them.

We looked at some other tools, predominantly AppDynamics. It comes in a slightly different perspective. It is aimed more at performance monitoring. It was a lot harder to derive the value out of it, than what we have done from Geneos. Geneos was an easier tool for the teams to get used to, on-board, and immediately get value out of it. AppDynamics was one of those things where you have to spend an awful lot of time before you can get value out of it. It is also more suited for certain applications than others, where Geneos is a bit more generic and can probably work in most spaces.

We were also evaluating some home grown solutions, which were lower cost solutions. In my opinion, Geneos wins against homegrown solutions, as it has been around for a number of years and a lot of people have fed into the ideas. So, it has evolved due to feedback from various clients, because there is a dedicated team behind Geneos product. Whereas, if you think about home grown solutions, they are limited by your experience and rarely mature as funding ultimately becomes an issue, so end up not as function-rich as Geneos.

If you look at some competitors, such AppDynamics, they probably have a better way of discovering dependencies as well as connectivity to them. That aspect is probably another area for Geneos to improve on.

What other advice do I have?

Determine the scale you need. If you do want to go enterprise-wide, it probably is worthwhile standardizing on the design. However, if you're already a small shop and bleeding (have no effective monitoring in place), then just get out of there as quickly as possible and think about standardizing afterwards. Think about what you want from the product. The product is very capable, so you can just use it for monitoring, but you can get a lot more value out of it by sharing with a business to demonstrate business flows and picture it in that dimension.

Definitely consider the automation or scripting capabilities of the product, which are very powerful. This avoids you having to jump onto boxes and run commands yourself. You can script them, which means you avoid people making mistakes or human errors.

The solution’s web-based UI is functional. It is not as rich and as powerful as a console, but it gives managers in business a high-level view of the environment. An analyst or support person is probably better off with a console rather than a web-based view.

We haven't really played with the application performance monitoring too much. I believe the stuff they have come out with will help us start seeing trends over time and be better improved in them. However, I haven't really tested that part out.

We are not using it for predictive analysis.

I would rate this solution as an eight out of 10.

Senior analyst at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Instrumental in helping us get out in front of a problem before it happens, reducing Sev 1 incidents
    • "The ability to completely tailor and customize what it's monitoring is one of its strongest points. A lot of other monitoring tools are good at certain things, but one of my colleagues described it as the “Swiss Army Knife” of monitoring tools. It can do anything you want."
    • "ITRS have started to make some major changes that we haven't taken on board yet, in the creation of dashboards and more visibility of the metrics that we collect. At the moment, that's something that's lacking, but I know they have addressed it. Still, it’s not that easy to create stuff to help with visibility and dashboarding in Geneos."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple teams in multiple locations using it to monitor multiple environments, including UAT, production, and dev.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has been instrumental in reducing our incidents that were related to monitoring issues that we had spotted, but because in our previous system those issues were sent by email and none of them got action. It has helped us avoid many Sev 1 or “system down” issues, as well as Sev 2 issues, because the monitoring is so effective.

It has also detected issues before any other of our corporate monitoring tools have identified them. For getting out in front of a problem before it happens, it's absolutely superb. Obviously, that's down to the design of the actual alerting that we put in place, but Geneos allows us to do that. Alerts are quite visible, very obvious on the console in the tree structure. It’s helping us do what we're trying to do, which is avoid instances for our clients before they notice them. It has been instrumental in doing that.

What is most valuable?

I'm a massive fan of Geneos and I’m not even sure where to start when it comes to valuable features. I live and die in it and that has been the case for the last four or five years.

The ability to completely tailor and customize what it's monitoring is one of its strongest points. A lot of other monitoring tools are good at certain things, but one of my colleagues described it as the “Swiss Army Knife” of monitoring tools. It can do anything you want. And if something you need is not built-in to the product, you can quite easily build it yourself. As a developer/support engineer, that's perfect. The capacity to completely customize it in any way — incoming stuff, outgoing integrations with the tools — is quite powerful.

The tree structure that you can create in the monitoring tool itself is also very useful.

What needs improvement?

We've also bought Datadog at an enterprise level. That solution looks really pretty. Personally, I don't like that but a lot of senior management, the non-technical guys, do like that. ITRS have started to make some major changes that we haven't taken on board yet, in the creation of dashboards and more visibility of the metrics that we collect. At the moment, that's something that's lacking, but I know they have addressed it. Still, it’s not that easy to create stuff to help with visibility and dashboarding in Geneos.

I have been using ITRS Geneos for about five years.

The stability is better now. We had some issues early on, about three years ago. I'm not saying that they were the product's fault, they may have been mine. But now, it's very stable and doesn't require a lot of coaxing to keep running.

It’s scalable. We've gone from one product and about five servers up to eight products that we supply, and there are over 300 servers that we're monitoring now. And I envision that doubling, at least, in the next couple of years.

We have it in three data centers across the globe. Although I work for one particular part of our company, with one particular product, which is where we started, I have also rolled it out to other teams and trained them. We use it in a federated model where we provide the platform, train up someone on those teams, and they then administer their own alerts.

We have about 400 users who have access to the console itself.

Their technical support is superb. Absolutely amazing. If our support team for our own products was as good as theirs, we would be brilliant. They are really good. There are a couple of guys there who are absolutely excellent.

Positive

Prior to Geneos, we had enterprise-level tools like SCOM, and CA's APM, which is a performance monitoring tool, and there were elements of Tivoli and other big-company monitoring solutions, but they were never very customizable. We would never have been able to monitor the completely custom-built application that we provide.

You can't just go and buy a tool that will monitor a custom application, so a lot of our monitoring prior to Geneos was via bespoke scripts that were running and sending emails. You can imagine how nightmarish that was. We had a large volume of emails, no persistence, and no idea of who was looking at an alert.

Geneos was able to execute a lot of our custom scripts along with a lot of its core plugins. And because it has a console, with a means of tracking alert volumes and for designing the rules, it was very easy to tailor our rules to avoid false alerts.

A manager of mine came in from a previous place of employment where they used Geneos and he was singing its praises. It replaced our completely custom-built, email-based solution.

It's a complex product, but we had some direct onsite support from two implementation guys for several weeks and they assisted. Once they'd shown me the ropes, it was fairly straightforward.

In its out-of-the-box form, it takes a few hours to deploy. But it then takes a long while to build up that monitoring catalog.

From a technical point of view, we started seeing results instantly, because it resolved the issue of our having to maintain all of our custom-created scripts. But it truly came into its own only about a year after deployment. It took us six months to a year to fully implement it. But Geneos knows how many alerts it has created for a certain “client environment,” and we could then look at those alerts and tune them a lot more easily than we could have with an email system.

Our implementation strategy involved starting out with fairly vanilla, cross-environment samples that we created in Geneos, while running the old monitoring tools, our script/email calls, in parallel. That allowed us to gain confidence in Geneos. We ran them in parallel for a few weeks and analyzed the results. As we gained confidence, we slowly moved more and more of the functions of our old monitoring tools into Geneos.

I was the main person on our side involved and I had a little help from the rest of the support team.

For us, it doesn't require any maintenance, but it all depends on how you automate things. For example, because we are a multi-country organization, each country has different daylight savings changes. Because we've automated that, it's hands-off. But, out-of-the-box, you don't need to do any maintenance at all.

I don't generally get involved with ROI at a metrics level, but Geneos has definitely helped when it comes to getting ahead of a potential client issue before it occurs. That doesn’t affect ROI directly but, in some cases, it would save us because we have SLAs with our clients. There would definitely be reputational as well as some cost savings, because we've detected problems before or as they're happening and before the client notices. Quantifying that is very difficult. How do you quantify the reputation of how good your service is?

We have not bought Geneos at an enterprise level. If we did pursue that, it would be a lot cheaper. But there haven’t been any complaints about the licensing model. And we actually don't pay for UAT, which is quite unique in the industry at the moment. We only pay for production licenses.

Of course, it has to run on a server, so there was a cost for that. There is also a database server behind it with a small cost for that. Other than that, there are no additional costs, and they provided training for free.

We played with Micro Focus SiteScope, Splunk, and various other tools. They're all very good in their own right for certain elements, but Datadog didn’t exist then. Geneos seemed to do everything we wanted in one place, to create that single-pane-of-glass view that we didn't have.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely do a PoC, but beyond that my advice would depend on where you're coming from. It's a very technical tool, but we are doing very technical monitoring. We're not doing website monitoring, for example, although it does do that.

It is helpful that you understand what you're trying to monitor first. You need to have a really clear idea what is an actual alert in your system before you do anything else. That's critical.

Overall, the tool is superb.

ITRS Geneos
    November 2022
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    JacquesViljoen - PeerSpot reviewer
    Digital Trading Platforms Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Provides 24/7 automated monitoring of our most critical services and is highly customizable to prevent anything we don't want to end up with
    • "The flexibility of the product is most valuable. It is highly customizable. If you put your mind to it and think of something you could do, there's a good possibility you can get it integrated within the console, if it's not readily available. The simplicity or ease of customization has been valuable."
    • "For the last year or two, I've been asking the vendor about the mobile app. This is something that probably everyone asks when they see the tool and they see how powerful it is. If there is any mobile app for this or if there is any way this tool can be more easily accessible other than having a big client installed, it would be great. I know you can build dashboards, et cetera, but there is no quick and easy way. I should be able to download an app, log in, and see my status. That will put this product above everything else out there. I believe it's on their roadmap."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring and visibility of all our production environments from a foreign exchange perspective.

At the current stage, we are probably 80% on-prem and 20% on AWS cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for all types of hardware. Most of the apps are built in-house, and the majority are Java or Java-hosted apps. We also monitor IBM MQ and Apache instances, and we've also started monitoring some AWS components and Tomcat components. We also extensively monitor FIX Trading or FIX Protocol.

One of the benefits is to have 24/7 automated monitoring of our most critical services.

In general, it has drastically increased the visibility of our estate. It has definitely improved our response times to issues. We can proactively detect issues and prevent outages as well.

It's very good in terms of real-time data. I've got no objections or concerns about it. It's so customizable. You can decide if you want your data in a real-time view, or you can have a bit of a delay on things. There are a few components that we almost monitor in real-time, and it works perfectly for us.

It provides lightweight data collection. Our servers or other things are not taking any strain since day one with it. We are quite comfortable with the load. Almost none is placed on our servers at the moment by this tool. So, it's cool.

It is very good for predicting and preventing failures. It comes back to the customization of the product. Depending on your business case and use case, you can customize it to prevent anything you don't want to end up with. It's very good. It's difficult to know the number of outages detected or avoided by using the solution. It is probably more than 80%. If we don't detect something, we would normally just go back and say, "Okay, why didn't we pick up this particular issue?" We will look at what options are there to prevent it next time round. So, this percentage obviously increases.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

For the last year or two, I've been asking the vendor about the mobile app. This is something that probably everyone asks when they see the tool and they see how powerful it is. If there is any mobile app for this or if there is any way this tool can be more easily accessible other than having a big client installed, it would be great. I know you can build dashboards, et cetera, but there is no quick and easy way. I should be able to download an app, log in, and see my status. That will put this product above everything else out there. I believe it's on their roadmap.

Other than that, we are not looking for any features. Initially, when we started, they were just, for example, Windows compatible from a front-end console perspective, but that has evolved over time. Now, they can run on Linux, Mac, etc. So, that's great. There was a bit of pushback initially, but after that has been sorted, the next question everyone is asking is obviously being mobile. What can I do remotely? Do I have to physically log in? Do I have to open up my laptop? That's the next big thing everywhere. People sometimes just want to glance at something or have the mobile opportunity to do things.

We've probably been using it for the last seven to eight years.

Its stability is very impressive. It's very solid. We haven't had any flaky stuff going on in the last couple of years. We obviously follow the recommendations and baseline regarding setup, et cetera. In that regard, we haven't had any serious issues.

It is definitely scalable. Five or six different departments within our organization are using this monitoring solution. We've got AWS, and geographically, we have systems in South Africa, and we've also got a few in the UK. Overall, there are about 20 to 30 users of this solution.

We have plans to increase its usage. It's currently the only monitoring solution on our slate. With the thoughts of going to AWS, et cetera, this is always part of our journey. It depends on what comes up in the near future, but if anything develops in our world, the first question that comes up is what's going to monitor it? Is Geneos coming along? Can it be done? Et cetera.

They're very good. We've been working with it for quite a few years now. So, it is quite soothing to know that there is someone who knows more than you if you really get stuck. It does help. We haven't come across a scenario where they couldn't help us.

Positive

It was before my time, but to my knowledge, we didn't have a proper solution prior to this. There was probably SCOM, but that was at a very base level and only for hardware monitoring. It was not to the level that we have now. There was also no other integration with regard to getting callouts or other notifications about issues. So, we didn't have a proper solution prior to this.

I basically inherited it. I don't know who did it before me, but it was a bit of a mess when I started. I was thrown into the deep end, but I wasn't personally involved initially. I just took it over.

There is no maintenance in terms of struggling to keep it going, but there's always this constant drive for improvement. There is a constant drive to improve the monitoring and add new scenarios that we haven't thought about or didn't cover. So, there is an ongoing drive to enhance, but that's not maintenance per se.

We have indeed seen an ROI. In the industry that we're working in, if the systems that are being monitored by this solution are all down, we could potentially look at losing a million SA rands an hour. That's the potential loss we are working with. That in itself speaks volumes versus the licensing cost we need to pay for this a year. That just gives an idea. If we don't have this monitoring in place and we lose the systems per se, we could lose what we pay now for licensing probably in about an hour. So, there is definitely value.

I believe they did consider open-source or lower-cost alternatives. The topic also has come up when licenses would be renewed, et cetera. We know what we are paying for, and we're getting value for the money as well.

What other advice do I have?

Based on what we've learned over the years, start with the end goal or plan with the end goal in mind. It'll save you a lot of time. If you start with what you want, with that vision, you could build around that instead of just trying to build and doing the basics. It's going to save you a lot of time.

You can immediately see its benefit after the deployment, but the more you work with it, on it, and expand it, you start seeing additional benefits. It comes back to the customizable part of things. The more you play with other types of add-ons, you tend to realize where you can use them and which other places you would benefit from them.

I would rate it a 9 out of 10. If there was a mobile app, I would've given it a 10.

IT Support Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Dashboards show end-to-end application flow and any alerts at the moment, giving us a management-level view of the underlying data
    • "The biggest benefit of Geneos is the fact that we can clearly see, if we have an alert, where that alert has come from. We can see the data around that alert and anything that might be relevant is also shown. We can very easily right-click and see why we've received that alert. That's the best part about it, that you've got all the data there with the alerting."
    • "One area where there is room for improvement is the log file. I would like to be able to do a pre-run on the log files. When you are testing log files for regular expressions, it would be good to be able to do a quick check up front on that side of things before you release that into production."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application monitoring, monitoring of our business applications to provide our support teams with alerts around the problems and events that may be occurring within the apps.

We're a financial company and we monitor applications for trade entry, trade management, risk, and order flow. It's used for any application that's being used in the tradeflow stack.

How has it helped my organization?

Because we're a large organization, we've built some really great management dashboards that show the end-to-end flow of how our applications are fitting together and any alerts that are occurring on those applications at the moment. It provides a management-level view of the underlying data.

While we don't use it in a predictive mode—we are reactive—our reaction time is greatly improved using Geneos. We've gone from hours down to minutes.

It's hard to say how many issues we have detected and outages avoided using Geneos, but I definitely know that prior to Geneos we had hundreds of events a month that we were slow to react to. We may still get those events, but we are much faster at reacting to them, and that has really improved our interaction with our users. The confidence of our users has greatly improved because of our ability to react much faster.

What is most valuable?

The biggest benefit of Geneos is the fact that we can clearly see, if we have an alert, where that alert has come from. We can see the data around that alert and anything that might be relevant is also shown. We can very easily right-click and see why we've received that alert. That's the best part about it, that you've got all the data there with the alerting. It's the usability that it provides. It's not really the real-time data, you can get that everywhere, but rather the fact that it pulls all of those other pieces together.

Also, the Netprobe that is deployed on each of the application servers is very lightweight. That is another of the great benefits of Geneos.

What needs improvement?

One area where there is room for improvement is the log file. I would like to be able to do a pre-run on the log files. When you are testing log files for regular expressions, it would be good to be able to do a quick check up front on that side of things before you release that into production.

And more generally, there is room for improvement with the Netprobe agent performance and understanding when you need to deploy a second Netprobe versus a single Netprobe.

I've been using ITRS Geneos for two and a half years. We're on version 4.12 but we're moving up to 5.3.

The stability is very good. Very rarely do we have an outage with Geneos. We do sometimes have outages with the agents, the Netprobes, usually due to the loads that we are trying to get them to do.

Scalability is probably a weak spot. We find that once we get up to about 120 Netprobes we have to then run another gateway, but we can have multiple gateways running on the same server. So even though we can monitor, and we are monitoring, thousands of servers, we have thousands of gateways. One of the difficulties is tying all of that data together if you want to create some sort of summary reporting across all of that.

Our environment runs into the hundreds of applications, which is then multiple thousands of Netprobes, on the order of about 8,000 servers.

Technical support for Geneos is awesome. Absolutely awesome. They are top-rank. They have an immediate chat facility off of their website. There's always someone there; really helpful, great guys.

Prior to Geneos we used a few solutions, but they were very restrictive in what we could do. We could only do process up/down and log file monitoring, whereas Geneos has a huge range of other things that we can monitor.

We're very thankful for that, in terms of the deployment process, we got some advice to get some understanding about how we would like to configure Geneos. You have to do some background work and upfront work before you start your deployment. Once you've done that, you can create some standard configurations. Then we deployed to all of our applications, created a standard package for how to deploy the Netprobes internally, and then we deployed the gateways onto virtual servers.

We've gone for a federated model where we have a group of individuals that are monitoring the monitor. They're monitoring Geneos and doing all the server-side configuration that is required. We then have the application support teams that have slightly less Geneos knowledge, but they set up the configuration for their individual applications.

We deployed it to over 120 applications. The initial deployment took us about six months, and then we spent another six months to a year refining that. It's a constant process thereafter of continual improving of the monitoring. Whenever we find something new, we will add in a new configuration.

The core team involved in the deployment included four people, and the extended team ran to 20 to 25 people because it's such a large deployment. When it comes to users of Geneos, front-end, it would be around 350.

It's very difficult to put a number on it, but I'm sure that the product has paid for itself.

It is expensive. They have to look at the model around when we move to cloud and how that's going to work. The licensing cost does pay off because of the improvements in support to our business.

Our previous solutions and this one take roughly the same amount of time to alert. Both do so within a couple of minutes.

We had a few choices to evaluate, including using an OpenStack or open source solutions, but when we evaluated those we felt that, given the time and effort to stitch them together, it was more beneficial for us to use Geneos. The time and effort needed to get those open source systems up and running and combined—you have to use multiple open source products to get the same functionality—and the fact that there's no support and nobody to help, led us to conclude that it's much easier to use the ITRS solution.

What other advice do I have?

The configuration can be very flexible, which is great when you're trying to do something, but it means that if you're just starting out, there is more than one way to do something. Take professional advice, use the ITRS website, understand how everything fits together first, and then proceed. Try to get a consistent configuration design across all of your applications.

A lesson learned from using Geneos would be to get buy-in from the people who are the users of Geneos. Get them onboard nice and early. Get them familiar with the tool. It does take time to understand how the tool works, so invest in training.

Senior Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Helps avoid long periods of downtime and gives us visibility into when things aren't working properly so we can fix them
    • "One of the best aspects of Geneos is that it has a broad scope and can cover a lot of use cases. You can write your own scripts to monitor really specific things. And the rules that you can put in place can be quite complex for the alerts."
    • "The deployment method for upgrading is a bit tricky. It takes a little bit of manual effort. If that could be a bit more automated, it would help us a lot."

What is our primary use case?

It's a monitoring tool. It's watching for all of our alerts, including high use of the server or running out of memory.

How has it helped my organization?

It's catching things that are going wrong before they become catastrophic, in most cases. It helps us avoid long periods of downtime and gives us a view into when things aren't quite working properly so that we can get in and fix them. We've seen those benefits from the day it was implemented.

What is most valuable?

One of the best aspects of Geneos is that it has a broad scope and can cover a lot of use cases. You can write your own scripts to monitor really specific things. And the rules that you can put in place can be quite complex for the alerts. Those two things are quite good.

What needs improvement?

I'd also be interested in seeing some intelligent analysis of log files, along the lines of AI. It would be nice if it could start correlating events from all over the estate.

I have been using ITRS Geneos, in different companies, for about 15 years.

It's fairly reliable.

There are always glitches, but they seem to be fixed reasonably quickly. And, in general, it does what it says it's going to do.

Once you've automated it, it's very scalable.

For us, the hardware is in London and the solution is across multiple departments. We have about 30 to 40 users.

I expect our usage will remain steady. We are changing our platform, but it's the same size as the one we're on now.

The support is very good. It's quite immediate. I don't think I've ever had an issue that hasn't been resolved.

Positive

What we had, and still have, was more low-level than what I would have been involved with. It would have been more on the operating system level.

We added Geneos because we needed more visibility into the application. The other solution only looks at whether the machine is there and running or not.

The initial deployment can be complex. It depends on how much you want to get into it. It's the sort of thing that grows organically. If you have a problem, you then add some more features to cover things so that you don't have the problem again. But when you first implement it, you will probably make it quite simple.

Including the provision of the hardware, it takes a couple of months to deploy. It's just a matter of installing the system and getting all the networking working.

The number of people required to deploy the solution depends on the size of the organization. For my current organization, it would take a couple of people to do it.

Maintenance involves upgrading it every now and then. License file replacement is another task.

Our biggest ROI is that it has saved us downtime.

The pricing seems reasonable. We're happy enough with it.

There are a number of add-ons that come with extra costs. We use some of them. We have a license now in which most of the features are included, but there are some special extras that have to be added on.

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof a concept and definitely look at how quickly other systems alert when there's a problem. With Geneos, it's pretty instant. With some of the other solutions, it's not that obvious, and can be a number of minutes before you get an alert.

Download our free ITRS Geneos Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022