Informatica Persistent Data Masking OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Informatica Persistent Data Masking is the #4 ranked solution in top Data Masking tools. PeerSpot users give Informatica Persistent Data Masking an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Informatica Persistent Data Masking is most commonly compared to IBM InfoSphere Optim Test Data Management (TDM): Informatica Persistent Data Masking vs IBM InfoSphere Optim Test Data Management (TDM). Informatica Persistent Data Masking is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Data Masking Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Informatica Persistent Data Masking?

De-identify, de-sensitize, and anonymize sensitive data from unauthorized access for application users, business intelligence, application testing, and outsourcing.

Informatica Persistent Data Masking was previously known as Data Masking, Informatica Data Masking.

Informatica Persistent Data Masking Customers

Vale, Hot Telecommunication, UPMC

Informatica Persistent Data Masking Video

Informatica Persistent Data Masking Reviews

technical analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It's useful for extracting data from production for testing
  • "Informatica is user-friendly, stable, and scalable. These three aspects are the most valuable for us. If we can make it work well with the CRM, we can continue or try again this year to complete that part of the project. I am confident that this kind of solution is what we need because we have a third-party resource that works in the development."
  • "Informatica's support understands the solution, but they lack the experience we need for our use case. That was one thing that we prioritized when we started searching for this kind of solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use Informatica to extract data from production. It's mainly the configuration of the systems. We extract data from one site in the same system and mass customer data to the test system. It's a list of customers that is a subset of the data.

In our CRM, we have data on our customers, and the data in that system is a copy of the production environment. We have all the configurations manually modified to work as a test, but we can extract only new clients, which is a problem. We need to have a CRM with only the configuration but not the customers.

My plan is to make Informatica work with the CRM. If it works, I am sure that I can get the budget to make it work with other systems, but the first system that I need to work with is CRM. The other ones are less important and don't have the same impact of making it work with the CRM. We're at about 80 percent completion with this project.

What is most valuable?

Informatica is user-friendly, stable, and scalable. These three aspects are the most valuable for us. If we can make it work well with the CRM, we can continue or try again this year to complete that part of the project. I am confident that this kind of solution is what we need because we have a third-party resource that works in the development.

What needs improvement?

We need to have a lot of hardware infrastructure to make our test system work. We use a complete copy of the production environment for testing, which is a real problem for us. The problem is not with Informatica as a provider per se. It's more of an issue with our system providers, but we need support to complete the projects. That's our real situation. With the pandemic, we have undergone many changes that have slowed down these projects in the last few years.

We have the license to deploy Informatica on any system we want. Right now, we aren't using it as much as we thought we would. We understand the solution, but it isn't easy in some areas. One problem is we have systems in which we don't know all the relationships among the data, and we need support from our providers to get that information. That is one of our most complicated problems implementing it.

Data Masking
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Protegrity, Delphix and others in Data Masking. Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Informatica's support understands the solution, but they lack the experience we need for our use case. That was one thing that we prioritized when we started searching for this kind of solution.

Informatica is working well, but we need access to the production databases to extract the data. The real problem is understanding the data in the system that we don't own or provide. Those are the most problematic to implement with this solution. We make it work with what our team has developed. Deployment took four to six months. Right now, we have one developer and two or three system administrators using Informatica, so it takes about three or four people to deploy and manage the solution.

We worked with the team we used for all the installations. They made it work. I can say that wasn't as good as I expected when we purchased the solution. When we started the implementation, we understood that they didn't have the research that works in this project because we did a lot of work to understand the data from the implementation team. That wasn't what we wanted because we knew that Informatica would be the most complicated of all the systems we would implement in the extraction. After all, they are our clients, and almost all other systems depend on that system.

We have a perpetual license for Informatica, and we only need to pay for support. However, because we're not actively using it at the moment, we don't have the budget to continue with the support.

We evaluated several solutions, including IBM InfoSphere Optim and Delphix. We purchased 15 licenses at the same time that totaled around $230,000.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Informatica Persistent Data Masking eight out of 10. It's important to have a robust understanding of the knowledge you need in the system. That is one of the main problems that we have. You need firm control over the systems to do data masking. All of the data is a subset because we want to make the subset and the data masking, but you have to have good control over the systems. I think that is the key.

Marián Lojka - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Manager, Data Architect - Accenture Technology at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
It's a comprehensive solution for GDPR compliance and information security, but rule-setting could be simplified
  • "Informatica provides a comprehensive solution for on-the-fly or real-time data masking."
  • "Informatica should simplify the rules for setting classifications and user access management permissions. It's too complex to define, configure, and make work."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients need to perform data masking to comply with GDPR rules or the company's internal data security policies. Data masking restricts who can look at the private customer data. Informatica provides a comprehensive solution for on-the-fly or real-time data masking.

One use case is masking the data for a test environment, so developers and testers can't see production data. This is something you have to do regularly with large amounts of data.

The second use case is in a production environment. Sometimes you need to mask the data on the fly when the data consumers are retrieving reports from the data platform. You are masking the data for certain groups who don't have permission to see that data.

What needs improvement?

Informatica should simplify the rules for setting classifications and user access management permissions. It's too complex to define, configure, and make work.

One feature I would like to see is the ability to do data sampling when anonymizing a test environment. It would save you the trouble of having to replicate or perform complex configurations when moving to another environment for testing or development. You should be able to easily configure the data sampling when you are preparing an environment with anonymized data.

We are a system integrator, and we've been one of Informatica's biggest partners for around two years. My team integrates Persistent Data Masking for our clients, but I don't use it personally. I understand the product and its capabilities, and the clients give me feedback on it.

Persistent Data Masking is stable and ready to scale. It has to be. You are working with large amounts of data.

I rate Informatica support eight out of 10. Informatica provides standard support during deployment. A vendor that doesn't offer support isn't a good company. Informatica is willing to make a straightforward deployment because they care about feedback from the client.

They don't mind investing some money at the beginning to make it run. They care about retaining clients for a long time. Client satisfaction is essential.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I rate Persistent Data Masking eight out of 10 for ease of setup. It's straightforward. You can deploy a proof of concept in three weeks. It takes two or three people to deploy, but one guy is fine for maintenance. Then again, it depends on the scope and how many anonymizations you have to do, but it doesn't require a big team.

It's usually a yearly subscription, but customers can go with a different pricing model. Typically, it's a yearly subscription for the cloud solution. If you're buying an on-premise solution, it's a one-time payment and annual license for support.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Informatica Persistent Data Masking seven out of 10.

Download our free Data Masking Report and find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Protegrity, Delphix, and more!
Updated: November 2022