Microsoft Azure API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure API Management is the #2 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure API Management an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee: Microsoft Azure API Management vs Apigee. Microsoft Azure API Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Microsoft Azure API Management?

Microsoft Azure API Management is a reliable and scalable way to publish, consume, and manage APIs running on an Microsoft Azure platform. Azure API Management provides all essential tools required for end-to-end management of APIs. It ensures optimal performance of the APIs by tracking and enforcing usage and authentication.

Microsoft Azure API Management is primarily used to provide a central interface to create, provision, and manage APIs for web and cloud applications and services. Today's innovative enterprises are adopting API architectures to accelerate growth. With Microsoft Azure API Management, businesses can streamline their work across hybrid and multi cloud environments with a unified place to manage all their APIs.

Microsoft Azure API Management Features

Microsoft Azure API Management has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Manage APIs across clouds and on premises: Optimize API traffic flow by deploying API gateways side by side with the APIs hosted in Azure, other clouds, and on premises. Meet security and compliance requirements with a unified management experience and full visibility across all APIs.
  • Customized usage limits: By applying authentication, authorization, and usage limits, you can protect your resources by controlling how data and services are exposed to employees, partners, and customers.
  • API-first approaches: Accelerate your business by building apps faster and delivering immediate value to customers through API-first approaches. This helps you decouple front- and back-end teams through API mocking, API revisions and versioning, and automated API documentation.
  • Customizable developer portal: Improve API discoverability by creating a customizable developer portal for all your APIs. This enables you to simply manage and share APIs with internal teams, external partners, and customers.
  • Facades for back-end services: Transform your existing services and automatically turn legacy web services into modern REST-based APIs using facades.
  • Security for your API’s: Keep all your APIs behind a single static IP or domain, and help protect them with tokens, keys, and IP filtering.

Microsoft Azure API Management Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Microsoft Azure API Management. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Monitor the health of APIs, configure throttling, identify errors, and rate limits.
  • Enforce flexible and fine-grained quotas and rate limits. Modify the shape and behavior of your APIs using policies. Improve latency and scale your APIs with response caching.
  • Connect on-premises APIs to cloud services by creating a façade that lets you safely integrate.
  • Create and manage user roles and define end-to-end API usage policies.
  • Consolidate and manage thousands of APIs across multiple platforms in a central interface.

Reviews from Real Users

Microsoft Azure API Management stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Some of these include its DevOps integration, its easy setup, and its dynamic pricing. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

Cecil S., a Software Engineer, writes of the solution, “The most valuable feature of Microsoft Azure API Management is the developer portal because it's very quick and easy to get something published."

Dmitri E., an Integration Architect at MiBanco, notes, “In particular, in API Management, used as front-end APIs, it's easy to manage. We use Microsoft due to the stability of the company. It is easy to set up. The solution is scalable. It is stable as a product as well.

Microsoft Azure API Management was previously known as Azure API Management, MS Azure API Management.

Microsoft Azure API Management Customers

adnymics GmbH, LG CNS, Centrebet, netfabb GmbH, MedPlast, Accelera Solutions, Sochi Organizing Committee, realzeit GmbH, Opensistemas

Microsoft Azure API Management Video

Microsoft Azure API Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure API Management pricing:
  • "It's pay as you go. The subscription packages have room for different scales. It's calculated by the number of apps or computers you use. You do not have to use the enterprise subscription. These subscriptions have different pricing, so you can find one to meet your needs for scalability."
  • "Azure API Management is the most expensive solution on the market."
  • "Since this is a cloud-based solution you have to abide by those financial limits, this creates some different challenges compared to other solutions."
  • "Because of our partner relationship, our pricing is pretty decent. But in general, if I compare pricing, I think the initial offer that we got from Microsoft until the relationship kicked in was more expensive than AWS. There were some unexpected expenses because we had to pause. This was due to our inexperience and because we were doing this significant public cloud migration for the first time. We were using SAP on a public cloud for the first time."
  • "It's free for less than ten users. If you want to go beyond that, it's around $3.50 per user per month. If you want a DevOps integration, it's about $7.50 per user per month. Costs depend on the size, complexity, usage, and what facility you want to integrate. So, we use Microsoft Azure and have the entire DevOps and Visual Studio on the cloud. We get all three flavors for $7.50 per user per month."
  • Microsoft Azure API Management Reviews

Cxa Asda - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Cloud Operations at Liquid Telecom
    Easy to set up with good access control but support could be better
    • "Access control is the most valuable aspect."
    • "The integration with other API gateways is where they might try to improve."

What is our primary use case?

There's a customer who wanted to migrate their API from their on-prem environment to Azure. They're looking at utilizing Azure API to manage all their other APIs. We just started with migrating one of their APIs. They're still working with it, still trying to learn the difference between what they had for on-prem and Azure. We are in the process of actually migrating a lot of their APIs.

What is most valuable?

Access control is the most valuable aspect. It's the main reason really why a lot of clients are moving - as we are able to deploy multiple APIs and be able to also segregate who's got access to which API, who's got access to the other API. That centralized management is what the customer is really looking for.

The initial setup was okay.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't missing anything. For the use case that we have right now, it's perfect. It offers everything that you'd look for in an API Management solution.

There's a new developer portal that's been added before they rolled out the new updates. I haven't really checked it out, however, the developer portal that they introduced is better than before. They've really improved on that one. If you are using the old portal, it's not as good.

We have two different customers. The other customer wants us to move completely, to migrate their APIs to Azure. The other one wants to manage their APIs, which are running on-prem. I've explored that in the flexibility, in terms of integration with an on-prem environment. The integration could be improved for those on-prem use cases.

The integration with other API gateways is where they might try to improve.

Support could be better.

I started using the solution six months ago.

Microsoft Azure API Management
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In terms of stability, I have seen that it is packaged into four different plans. If I'm not mistaken, there should be basic, standard, conception, and developer. I wanted to try to avoid deploying a lot of units, it uses a concept of compute units or scaling units. I was using the conception tier, which is not designed to be highly available. I was testing features, I didn't mind the level of availability. I suspect that if you choose the high-end SQL, it's most likely to be available. However, in terms of cost, I'm yet to find that out.

If you compare the SQL, and that's one that really supports scalability across regions, it's good. It's very scalable.

We have ten developers using the solution right now.

We do plan to increase usage.

Microsoft is huge, and when it comes to support, it's not so great as compared to, if you have something software specific. Whenever you ask them a question, they assume you to know everything. It's challenging to get the level of support that you'd want.

Neutral

We used to use Kong.

Kong is more of an on-prem API gateway, and this one is cloud-based. And given that many customers are migrating to the cloud, it was actually one of the reasons why we're convincing the customers that we have used their APIs to migrate to the cloud.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

I have a basic understanding of the API fundamentals. Those were what I was looking for; that's what I was looking for first, just to see if my understanding of the fundamentals. With my level of knowledge, it was fine.

For someone with basic knowledge, you can deploy the solution within a week.

There is some maintenance needed. However, that person is supposed to be someone who's more DevOps inclined.

We handled the initial setup in-house.

I've been using the conception tier. If you choose the lower-end tiers, it'll be fine, cost-wise. However, those tiers are just for development purposes; they're not really for the production environment. I would suspect if you move onto the higher tiers, it'll be pretty pricey.

I was looking into Azure API Management and the equivalent and in AWS.

I wanted to compare the functionality between Azure API Management and Amazon API Gateway, as there's a customer that wants AWS API Gateway instead of Azure. I just wanted to see if the features are similar. I'm looking into that now.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft partner.

The role that I have right now is a role where I'm a deployment engineer for cloud services, so depending on what the customer wants, someone's migrating from their on-prem, from VMware, the Linux, the Hyper-V to Azure, someone has to design highly available solutions, like applications that are tiered, that is three-tiered or two-tiered. Some want to utilize API Management. With API Management, we don't have a lot of customers on that front, as they sort of don't understand how it works. Right now, it's an area where we've worked with two of our biggest customers that have got multiple APIs on their on-prem environment. I've got basic experience, especially on what an API is and the benefits of Azure API Management as compared to what they have.

We're using the latest version of the product.

We are completely moving our customers from their on-prem APIs. It's a complete cloud solution; they don't want any hybrid solution.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten based on the level of knowledge I have. The learning curve is pretty high. It's API Management and it also supports API gateways. It didn't decentralize those features, so the learning curve that's there for someone is a bit much.

I would recommend the solution to others.

Jude Ayoka - PeerSpot reviewer
    PM, Digital & Innovation at Access Bank Plc
    The sandbox feature lets us test before we go into production
    • "I like API Management's sandbox feature. It's an environment where you can test out the API before putting it into production and connecting it to a live environment."
    • "The hybrid part could be improved because API Management is entirely cloud-based, but some of our resources are on-prem, so formatting is an issue. Our goal is dual implementation."

What is our primary use case?

We're a bank, so one of our primary use cases for API Management is integrating our API with third parties that provide financial policies. Sometimes they want to use our services, like payment and customer inquiry, so we give them access to the API gateway.

Azure API Management allows you to control who has access to your API gateways and assign permission levels to third parties if you want integration with third-party solutions. That has a couple of advantages. Those third parties can directly access your API directly, and you can set limits. It can also configure authentication on other API managers.

An API gateway is like a platform, and your API provides access to the resources in your environment, so this gateway is an intermediary between you and third parties. It's also the interface between your internal applications. For example, if you have a mobile app and internet banking, they can all be copied in the same API through that gateway. So, that was basically the use cases we have. So, we have almost all the API's behind the gateway.

What is most valuable?

I like API Management's sandbox feature. It's an environment where you can test out the API before putting it into production and connecting it to a live environment.

What needs improvement?

The hybrid part could be improved because API Management is entirely cloud-based, but some of our resources are on-prem, so formatting is an issue. Our goal is dual implementation.

There's always room for improvement in terms of the user interface. Generally speaking, technology evolves, so any service provider needs to make their product as user-friendly as possible. In the next couple of years, we'll see more non-tech people handling tech solutions. The solution should be more accessible, so people can use it to create things without being very tech-savvy.

We've been using Azure API Management for about three years.

API Management is stable.

API Management is scalable. The licensing is structured so that you save more at a higher scale. The only limit to the scale is how much you're willing to pay.

We have an enterprise support contract for Microsoft, and we don't have problems with them.

We used IBM ESB before Azure API Management, and we're using both now. ESB isn't the same as API Management from a technology perspective. They have distinct functions, but they can do similar things. You can view an API on IBM ESB, but you can view and expose API on Azure API Management. They solve similar problems but are not exactly the same.

Deploying API Management is somewhat tricky depending on your level of technical knowledge. The first time we used it in production, we had it for a couple of months. The first month was an evaluation period, so we had it in a test environment to get a feel for how it works and possible complications. However, you could deploy it in a couple of weeks if you wanted.

You only need about two to manage it, including one admin. It's more like a platform-as-a-service, so we don't need to do the normal maintenance we do on an on-prem platform.

We deployed API Management in-house.

I can't disclose how much we pay monthly, but the pricing for Azure API Management is available online. It's pay as you go. The subscription packages have room for different scales. It's calculated by the number of apps or computers you use. You do not have to use the enterprise subscription. These subscriptions have different pricing, so you can find one to meet your needs for scalability.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure API Management nine out of 10. Your choice of technology is based on your needs, budget, and C suite. Azure API Management is a good product, but there are some other good services, like Azure Connect, Google APG, and a couple of others. It depends on your needs.

Using a cloud solution has advantages because the client can immediately use the product. Another strong reason we use Azure API Management is that we heavily use Microsoft products in our organization, so Azure is a natural choice.

Microsoft Azure API Management
    November 2022
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Aurel Avramescu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Architect at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
    High priced solution with limited ability to use other technologies
    • "Azure API is scalable."
    • "The external policies are impossible to look at and configure."

What is our primary use case?

I am a software architect. The organization upgraded to API premium in order for us to be able to use virtual networks and security growth. We migrate things from Google Cloud. We use the solution to have an API that is calling internal resources to expose data on the internet. Furthermore, we also use API Management for partners and mobile apps.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Other than the cost, it is difficult to customize. The external policies are impossible to look at and configure.

The deployment time is too long. It is difficult to have multiple authentication mechanisms and authorization mechanisms at the same time.

Microsoft Azure API Management has not improved since I last used it in 2017.

By using Azure you are forced to use their technologies. For example, I wanted to use PostgreSQL, but I could only use SQL server. I also wanted to use Java or TypeScript, but the only option is .NET, which we do not use. They are very difficult to collaborate with as the solution does not integrate with other products.

They do not offer extensions, if you want to use a Swagger extension you have to use XMLs, which are very complicated.

Another concern is that Microsoft Azure often does not have enough Linux machines in the region. If you want to deploy on Linux, and there are not enough, they will tell you to deploy in another region, or it has to be on the Windows server instead.

I have been using Microsoft Azure API Management for two years.

The solution is a bit more stable than it was in 2017. It is reliable.

Azure API is scalable. We have 20 people working with this product as a gateway to the outside world.

Technical support with Microsoft is poorer than AWS, but better than the one from Google Cloud. They reply too late. We had premium technical support at one point, however, they did not reply with anything we needed at the time. There is a concern with the knowledge base as well as the procedure in how they are instructed to reply.

I would rate technical support a three out of five.

Neutral

We switched to Microsoft Azure API Management because two years ago, someone in the organization decided to use this solution. I would never have made that decision.

I have had prior experience with API Gateway and Apigee.

The solution takes one hour to deploy. Like everything on Azure, it is difficult to create the deployment scripts because the ARM and Bicep that they use are awful. Deployment is very complex.

I would rate the experience of the setup of Azure API Management a two out of five.

The solution doesn't require maintenance as it is cloud-based. However, it does require monitoring.

The upgrade to Azure API costs 2000 euros per month, per instance, per unit. Our finance department asked us to find cost reductions. After conducting an analysis, I came to the conclusion that it was impossible unless we sacrificed security.

Azure API Management is the most expensive solution on the market. AWS is at least four times less expensive. Any price comparison needs to include the additional cost of the security you will need to purchase from Microsoft, which comes from their premium plan. The only way to reduce the cost is to sacrifice security when using Microsoft data.

I rate the pricing a one out of five.

The other option is API Apigee. It is the best in class and less expensive. Its deployment to API Gateway from AWS is easy and fast.

In AWS API Management you can build everything from open API specification files. AWS has Swagger extensions that are built in that can define everything in Swagger.

I would switch solutions if I could.

What other advice do I have?

Any organization looking to implement Microsoft Azure API Management should look at other alternatives. Be cautious of the marketing behind Azure products. Once you decide on your solution, it is difficult to change.

I would rate this product a four out of 10 overall.

Microsoft Azure
    Group Manager, Solution & Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to configure, simple to use, but might not be suited for all sized companies
    • "I have found this solution to be easy to configure, simple to use, and flexible."
    • "If I compare this solution to others I have used in other phases of my life, having APIM being an Azure resource, it is easy to configure and deploy. However, this conversely reduced the flexibility. The difficulty is how do we configure it in a manner that a larger enterprise would probably want it to be. This creates a bit more complexity, working around the constraints of the resource itself. If comparing it to other solutions, it is more of a legacy design with an older approach. The various level components are still around resembling an on-premise type of design similar to other solutions, such as Apigee or Mulesoft. They are still predominantly carrying some legacy design. Which might be suited for organizations where they have a more complex network layout. APIM is easy to deploy, but on the other side of that, it is constrained to how Azure has designed it to be."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution because when there is a technical requirement sometimes there are technical constraints that need to be overcome, and that is best resolved through the API component. My organization predominately uses Microsoft solutions and this is why we are using this particular solution.

What is most valuable?

I have found this solution to be easy to configure, simple to use, and flexible.

What needs improvement?

If I compare this solution to others I have used in other phases of my life, having APIM being an Azure resource, it is easy to configure and deploy. However, this conversely reduced the flexibility. The difficulty is how do we configure it in a manner that a larger enterprise would probably want it to be. This creates a bit more complexity, working around the constraints of the resource itself. If comparing it to other solutions, it is more of a legacy design with an older approach. The various level components are still around resembling an on-premise type of design similar to other solutions, such as Apigee or Mulesoft. They are still predominantly carrying some legacy design. Which might be suited for organizations where they have a more complex network layout. APIM is easy to deploy, but on the other side of that, it is constrained to how Azure has designed it to be.

In an upcoming release, if not already added through an update, I think dynamic provisioning of the resource would be useful. Many times these API platforms, including others, such as Apigee, are still predominantly revolving around developers. The onboarding and the API life cycle are still revolving around humans. In this context, I would not suggest DevOps, but at least automation of common pipelines. If the platform can better support this in the workflow to provision and commission an API that would be beneficial as we work towards a more automated deployment concept. Even though there are templates, graphics, and API management commands right now, you are still in a way programmed deeply, customizing that workflow, as opposed to it being part of the platform itself.

I have been using Azure solutions for approximately four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable because it is a cloud service offering.

I have previously used Apigee and Mulesoft.

Since this is a cloud-based solution you have to abide by those financial limits, this creates some different challenges compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is in all technology areas, each solution is use case-specific. If you are already working on the pure Azure Stack, then APIM is something that I would suggest. Unless you have a very complicated API development use case I would not try to deploy, for example, Mulesoft or Apigee on Azure. Assuming you are working on a full Azure Stack solution.

Since it is use case-specific, rather than trying to build out. I would rather use the other repertoire of Azure to do the API development, as opposed to trying to deploy other solutions under the platform and develop from there.

My philosophy is always, use what is available, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Mulesoft may be powerful, but it is putting the cart on top of the wheel and try to build something on the cart. It is not a native approach.

I rate Microsoft Azure API Management a seven out of ten.

SaurabhKumar2 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Market Research Analyst at a performing arts with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    A multi-cloud API management platform with good performance and support
    • "I like the support they provide for the APIs more than the solution itself. First of all, documentation-wise, both Microsoft Azure and even Google Cloud are up there. But in comparison, the real-time consulting and support for APIs make Microsoft stand out a little. I also like the performance. Standard public cloud provider-built APIs are more resilient and flexible in terms of what feature you want to use and what feature you don't want to use, and they're more customizable. They are more resilient in terms of performance in that particular environment because that is the design aspect of the offering. When public clouds build APIs and deploy them after testing them on their framework for a certain amount of time, I feel there is a massive difference in the product's performance. On the interface, everything is strong."
    • "Specific to API development, I think Microsoft is still far behind AWS. AWS has grown by leaps and bounds, and Microsoft is a close second. But in terms of features and other stuff they provide, Microsoft's compatibility with publicly available APIs is a little limited. So, that is a little bit of a constraint. But what they provide is good, it's just that they need to build more on their API suite. I think Google is doing a really good job at that."

What is our primary use case?

One of our applications went live a month ago, and it uses the whole suite of Microsoft APIs.

What is most valuable?

I like the support they provide for the APIs more than the solution itself. First of all, documentation-wise, both Microsoft Azure and even Google Cloud are up there. But in comparison, the real-time consulting and support for APIs make Microsoft stand out a little.

I also like the performance. Standard public cloud provider-built APIs are more resilient and flexible in terms of what feature you want to use and what feature you don't want to use, and they're more customizable. They are more resilient in terms of performance in that particular environment because that is the design aspect of the offering.

When public clouds build APIs and deploy them after testing them on their framework for a certain amount of time, I feel there is a massive difference in the product's performance. On the interface, everything is strong.

What needs improvement?

Specific to API development, I think Microsoft is still far behind AWS. AWS has grown by leaps and bounds, and Microsoft is a close second. But in terms of features and other stuff they provide, Microsoft's compatibility with publicly available APIs is a little limited. So, that is a little bit of a constraint. But what they provide is good, it's just that they need to build more on their API suite. I think Google is doing a really good job at that.

We have been using Microsoft Azure API Management for at least a year.

Microsoft Azure API Management is stable.

Microsoft Azure API Management's scalability is pretty good. At present, we have around 10,000 to 15,000 users. We are also evaluating the application, and we should grow in the cloud rapidly from now on.

Microsoft's support stands out. They provide good support in terms of consulting and operation support for their API. So, that is very helpful. Microsoft sometimes looks at the size of the customer, the way they are involved, and the size of the environment. They are also willing to go beyond periodically to consult on the best way to do stuff.

On a scale from one to five, I would give Microsoft technical support a four.

Positive

The initial setup wasn't entirely straightforward or altogether complex. It was somewhere in the middle.

On a scale from one to five, I would give the initial setup of Microsoft Azure API Management a three. For me, AWS is two, and Microsoft is three.

We did the deployment in-house, working directly with Microsoft.

There were some unexpected expenses because we had to pause. This was due to our inexperience and because we were doing this significant public cloud migration for the first time. We were using SAP on a public cloud for the first time.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Azure API Management an eight.

Dmitri Efimov - PeerSpot reviewer
    Integration Architect at MiBanco
    Reliable, easy to set up, and efficient
    • "We use Microsoft due to the stability of the company."
    • "One of the most important improvements for us would be if it supported the HTTP/3 version and new protocol over a quick connection."

What is our primary use case?

In general, we use it for the front application, like the mobile banking application or some other service stuff. We found that it's easier to maintain these internet connections and so on, on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

In general, we started with Microsoft Azure Cloud as we needed a close integration with our internal or Office solution. In case of Microsoft, Azure Active Directory is easily integrated within the Microsoft platform, including Office. In particular, in API Management, used as front-end APIs, it's easy to manage. Now, we are looking ahead to the hosted solution, which is very nice.

We use Microsoft due to the stability of the company.

It's efficient enough and it's just enough for our needs to manage rules and so aforth for API management. We use it due to Microsoft's reputation. We need a stable provider. We cannot play with some providers.

It is easy to set up.

The solution is scalable. It is stable as a product as well.

What needs improvement?

It's okay. It's not as good as Google. For instance, in Apigee, in Google.

One of the most important improvements for us would be if it supported the HTTP/3 version and new protocol over a quick connection. It's a relatively new standard since 2020.

I've used the solution for about three years.

It is a stable product. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash. The performance is good.

While it is scalable, there is some costs involved with expanding.

We have about 100 people using the solution at the company in terms of deployment. In terms of clients using the solution, that's in the millions.

We have a premium subscription. We have a local company, a local Microsoft office. We do not have a problem with the support from Microsoft.

We used a CA solution before, and CA was sold to Broadcom and everything changed, politics and so and so. We had to disable CA platform due to the provider. We believe the same issues will not happen to Microsoft.

The initial setup is very easy. It's not complex at all.

There is a special group that is  responsible for the support and implementation of the platform.

I'm aware of Google, or Apigee, and it's quite a robust product.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

It is a subscription service. It's definitely not on-premises in our organization. We do have our core system on-premises, of course.

I would recommend the solution. People have to first understand the different types of subscriptions, however. There are four of them, developer, and intermediates, and then premium, and it's costly. That said, it's not that expensive. It's a very technical piece of software. I can say it's stable and it satisfies our needs. It's just a bit complex.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Reetesh  Sahay - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Project Manager at MindTree
    A hybrid, multicloud management platform for Epics and Functions with a useful DevOps integration
    • "Microsoft Azure API Management is better because it has a DevOps integration by default."
    • "It would be better if it were easier to transition to Azure from JIRA. For example, different nomenclature must be performed when you shift to Azure from JIRA. JIRA's storage, tasks, and ethics are treated differently from Azure. Here they might become functions, which is not an option in JIRA because that nomenclature difference is there. If someone has to get into the nomenclature, then there can be different tasks from clients, and here, they may be treated as functions. JIRA has sub-tasks, but sub-tasks don't exist in Azure. The nomenclature and the linking between ethics and a function and a story are different, and people may have to learn to adapt to the new nomenclature."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for Epics, Story and Function Management for Products and Accelerator Development, Deployment and Operations Management.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a One Place solution for the majority of needs in an IT and Software development environment.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Azure API Management is better because it has a DevOps integration by default.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if it were easier to transition to Azure from JIRA. For example, there are different nomenclature that must be addressed when you shift to Azure from JIRA. JIRA's storage, tasks, and epics are treated differently from Azure.

JIRA has sub-tasks, but sub-tasks don't exist in Azure. The nomenclature and the linking between Epics and a function and a story are different, and people may have to learn to adapt to the new nomenclature.

I have been using Microsoft Azure Project Management for about Two and a half years.

Microsoft Azure API Management is pretty stable. We are Microsoft gold partners, so we have not faced any issues until now.

Microsoft Azure API Management is scalable. The Microsoft platform supports my organization, which is 35,000 employees strong.

Technical support is pretty good.

We were using JIRA which can be enhanced by using third-party tools, this is a costly business so we shifted to the Microsoft platform, which was integrated for development as well as management. So that's a better way of doing things.

The initial setup is straightforward. It was an organization-wide integration, so we have never faced any issues.

It's free for less than ten users. If you want to go beyond that, its paid. But when you use all features of Azure its a very cost effective solution.

Costs depend on the size, complexity, usage, and what facility you want to integrate. So, we use Microsoft Azure and have the entire DevOps and Visual Studio on the cloud. We get all enterprise flavor with very optimum cost, when compared to multivendor environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users to go for it. It's a good platform. Even though the ecosystem may not be that strong, it's a better option for a software development company. You can explore other options to save some bucks if you are not into software development. However, for an IT company, Microsoft Azure is the better option.

MADHAV CHABLANI - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Information Officer at Tippingedge
    API management platform which offers scalability, stability, and easy integration
    • "Easy to integrate API management platform. It is a stable and scalable solution."
    • "Performance issues from this platform need to be sorted out."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the healthcare industry, so all the applications which are related to one hospital, it binds to Microsoft Azure API Management, and this is our use case for it.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration function of Microsoft Azure API Management. Integration of this solution is easy.

What needs improvement?

There's some area for improvement for this solution's performance. Sometimes it can be challenging. We're working with design patents and we're hoping to see the performance issues sorted out.

We've been working with Microsoft Azure API Management for a year now.

Microsoft Azure API Management is a stable product, but we have not been able to test it yet on a multi-cloud environment.

Microsoft Azure API Management is scalable. There are no issues with its scalability.

Microsoft has a good technical support team. They are very helpful.

Integration of this solution is easy. I won't call it an initial setup. It's an integration.

I was able to work with Apigee.

What other advice do I have?

We used Microsoft Azure API Management only in the Microsoft environment, but not in a multi-cloud environment.

Microsoft Azure API Management is cloud-based, in particular, it is a single cloud centered around Microsoft components and not on the Cross components.

I have no idea on how long it took to implement Microsoft Azure API Management. The testing and development team is the best resource on how long it took.

The number of users of this solution in the group I'm associated with is 300,000. Increasing the number of users will depend on the mergers and acquisitions, and how the group is doing.

For maintenance, we have a backend support team that handles application support. The major point is that if the API has a lot of issues, particularly in data silos, Microsoft Azure API Management has made it more convenient to manage those.

We're still trying and testing the integration function of this solution, and we're also trying to go deeper into its performance.

My rating for Microsoft Azure API Management is a nine out of ten.

I don't have any variance data with Apigee. Apigee is better than Microsoft. I have more numbers for Apigee compared to Microsoft.

Microsoft Azure
    Download our free Microsoft Azure API Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022