Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Informatica Data Quality OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Informatica Data Quality is #4 ranked solution in top Data Quality tools. PeerSpot users give Informatica Data Quality an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Informatica Data Quality is most commonly compared to Informatica Cloud Data Quality: Informatica Data Quality vs Informatica Cloud Data Quality. Informatica Data Quality is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Data Quality Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Informatica Data Quality?

Deliver high-quality clean and trusted data with an enterprise class data quality and governance solution that scales, regardless of size or format or data, platform, or technology.

Informatica Data Quality Customers

Condé Nast, Tani, U.S. Xpress Enterprise

Informatica Data Quality Video

Informatica Data Quality Reviews

Principal Applications System Analyst at a university with 10,001+ employees
Quick on profiling and scales very well, but needs better UI and more reporting capabilities
  • "There are a couple of valuable features. One is that it is very quick on the profiling. So, you get a very fast snapshot of the type of data that you're looking at from the profiling perspective. It can highlight anomalies in the data."
  • "Their UI needs improvement. Their scorecards and reporting also need improvement. Their data quality reporting, especially their dashboards and scorecards, is lackluster at best. Its reporting capabilities are limited. If you want to do anything beyond its limited reporting capabilities, then you're going to have to use an external reporting tool such as Power BI or something like that."

What is our primary use case?

A lot of times, we use it for basic profiling. That's its most common use case. Currently, we are also in the process of establishing a set of ongoing processes around Data Quality that would feed into and augment our current metadata. So, from that standpoint, our usage is primarily around some of the basic dimensions of data quality, such as completeness, conformity, consistency, timeliness, accuracy, etc. We measure each of those or at least create quality rules that measure each of those aspects. We're in the process of doing this for all of the data that's currently feeding into our analytics engine. These are some use cases that we're currently doing on a daily basis.

What is most valuable?

The other valuable feature of the Data Quality tool is the flexibility of using their Analyst tool to create a mapping specification, which allows you to join multiple sources of information. You can then create rules within that data set. You can apply aggregations and all other types of functions, and then you can feed that into the profiling tool. From the profiling tool, you can then create your scorecards. It can be two-step where you're using that mapping engine to integrate multiple sources. If you don't have a need for that, you can do a lot more sophisticated mappings inside their Developer tool, and then maybe do an analyst type of mapping engine. So, you can do straightforward data quality within the Analyst tool, or you can do more sophisticated data quality within the Developer tool, at least as far as the rules are concerned.

What needs improvement?

Their UI needs improvement. Their scorecards and reporting also need improvement. Their data quality reporting, especially their dashboards and scorecards, is lackluster at best. Its reporting capabilities are limited. If you want to do anything beyond its limited reporting capabilities, then you're going to have to use an external reporting tool such as Power BI or something like that.

It has a few glitches that they haven't fixed. For example, while creating a new scorecard, when you get up to a point, you have to stop and save what you've done. You have to exit and then go back into the tool to finish up your work. From the development aspect, using their scorecard tool has a couple of glitches in it. This might be a tool that they're going to eventually phase out. So, they're just not doing a lot of work on it. I've been living with it for a few years now. I've learned that I got to save my work, and then I got to get back into it to finish up what I was doing.

I have been using this solution for at least five years.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Trillium, Oracle and others in Data Quality. Updated: September 2022.
632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is pretty stable.

As far as I know, it scales pretty well. The part of the problem that we have is with the way it saves the results. When it saves the result, it creates a physical copy of some of the data results and stores it. So, when we're processing, for example, 500 million rows of data, depending on the type of rules that we have and how we're doing it, it can quickly use up a lot of space. We've had some issues with some of the space and storage. It scales, but you still have to be careful how you configure it so that you don't use up all your resources. We've added a lot of disk space, and we still occasionally have problems.

Currently, we have maybe half a dozen heavy users, but we're probably going to scale that up to 20 to 25.

It is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a six out of ten.

Angel Pineda - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Architect at CEMEX
We've achieved high data quality but lacking a platform as a service

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this product is for data management relating to customers and contact information. It's a global resource, we ensure the quality of our customer information and primary attributes. I'm a principal data architect and we are customers of Informatica.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by providing data quality.

What is most valuable?

The evaluation service is a valuable feature of this product.

What needs improvement?

Because we are moving everything to cloud and our platform is in Azure, it has an infrastructure as a service. I'd like to see a platform as a service, to avoid having to take care of the payments as an upgrade for the platform. I'd like to have email as a service, it would allow us more flexibility. But we already know that Informatica have a cloud integration service but it's not mature enough to do what's required. The service model can also be improved.

I've been using this solution for seven years.

The solution is not as stable as we'd like. We need to do a lot of work on the operational side because it crashes frequently, at least once a week.

Scalability is not a problem. You can't count the number of users because it's a platform that has an operational model in which we move the data. We have the data and we clean the data, but users don't have direct contact.

The technical support is very good.

Initial setup is not complex, it takes about a week to install. We have very good consultants that carried out the deployment for us so although licensing is tricky, the development and the installation is okay.

I believe licensing is around $700,000 annually and we pay around $300,000 for support. The licensing is tricky because sometimes we need to pay for additional connectors and those are hidden costs for us.

We evaluated SAP Master Data Governance. We noticed that more people use Informatica and because it's the most widely used platform we went with it because we knew we'd be able to get access to consultants.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
September 2022
632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Offers great features; suitable for both technical and business users
  • "The solution is applicable for both technical and business users."
  • "The ability of the product to leverage the power of big data could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to improve issues of security, quality and accuracy.
We are partners of Informatica and I'm an architect.

What is most valuable?

In terms of Data Quality, the feature most valuable to me is that the solution is applicable for both technical and business users. I like that instead of using on-premises processing power, you can now use your on-cloud platform processing power to process the data and get a faster turnaround time. From a product perspective, everything is well done.

What needs improvement?

I think improvements can be made regarding the ability of the product to leverage the power of big data. It would also help if we could get the software as a services product so that we feed in the requirements and it's a more customized solution. I think that would increase the adoption by customers.

I've been using this solution for three years.

Informatica is a very stable product, I haven't had any issues with it.

It's a very scalable solution and it has all the other big data components.

We have a business partnership with Informatica and they are very responsive.

I've had a lot of experience with this solution so I don't have any issues with implementation. Perhaps someone from a different background or different circumstance, may face challenges but it is user friendly so it shouldn't be a problem. Implementation generally takes about six months depending on the dimensions required. This solution cannot be implemented in a day or a week.

The pricing of this solution is definitely at the higher end and they don't provide the option of a trial version. If you look at Talend, for example, they provide a free version, so the cost of IBM and Informatica is a little high.

What other advice do I have?

The cost of the product is high, but feature wise, it provides a whole lot of features that can easily solve your problems. I would recommend this product.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Delivers enterprise-strength data quality for a wide range of scenarios
  • "Seeing the data in the mapping itself is really nice."
  • "Although we are very satisfied with the design of the UI, executing tasks with it can be difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We use Data Quality for healthcare projects, and although it's not its prime purpose, we also use it to extract data. Compared to PowerCenter, it's a little easier to use — we designed the mapping ourselves. In short, we use Data Quality primarily for extraction purposes.

Within our organization, there are 10 employees using this solution.

What is most valuable?

Seeing the data in the mapping itself is really nice. We don't want to extract the data and just see the flat file. With Data Quality, we can see the data very easily.

What needs improvement?

When running a workload, we can only use the command mode. We were expecting Data Quality to offer the same type of workflow as PowerCenter.

Although we are very satisfied with the design of the UI, executing tasks with it can be difficult.

We have been using Informatica Data Quality for three years.

Overall, stability-wise, it's quite good; however, we think PowerCenter is more stable.

Compared to PowerCenter, Data Quality needs some improvement. When we are dealing with large amounts of data for extraction purposes, it doesn't always work out — often we experience some memory issues here and there. Scalability-wise it needs some improvement.

Although the technical support is responsive, they often take a very long time to solve our issues. They are quick to solve second and third-level requests, but when it comes to first-level requests, their solutions become very vague and general and often don't bear any fruit — otherwise, they're good.

Deployment was quite straightforward.

We have a long-term license. I can't really speak about the licensing as I don't know much about it.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. If you can afford it, then go for it. If it's out of your price range, then I would recommend considering an open-source solution.

overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, scalable, and useful for testing purposes, but needs better performance and more execution options
  • "It is very useful for testing purposes and designing mappings for small projects. If you go for IDQ in the mapping itself, you can see the data. You can then correct it, and test it so easily. It is working fine. It is also stable, scalable, and easy to deploy."
  • "It can be improved in terms of performance and execution. I'm expecting better performance. It currently has some restrictions in terms of execution. For example, if we want to run it in the command mode and execute it, there are some restrictions, and we are facing some issues with a huge volume of data. These restrictions are not there in Informatica PowerCenter because we are able to execute a huge volume of data, and there are more ways to execute it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for extraction purposes for some of our projects. We extract and test the data.

What is most valuable?

It is very useful for testing purposes and designing mappings for small projects. If you go for IDQ in the mapping itself, you can see the data. You can then correct it, and test it so easily.

It is working fine. It is also stable, scalable, and easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

It can be improved in terms of performance and execution. I'm expecting better performance. It currently has some restrictions in terms of execution. For example, if we want to run it in the command mode and execute it, there are some restrictions, and we are facing some issues with a huge volume of data. These restrictions are not there in Informatica PowerCenter because we are able to execute a huge volume of data, and there are more ways to execute it.

We have been using this solution for the past three or four years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have ten engineers who use it.

We are getting better support with PowerCenter. Informatica Data Quality was developed later, and its support is not up to that level, but it is fine.

We didn't use any other solution.

Its initial setup is straightforward. We just need to create data integration services. The deployment generally takes up to three hours, but it can take longer depending on the nodes.

I did it myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We have a long term license, and we plan to keep using it.

I would rate Informatica Data Quality a seven out of ten.

AmanyEldaly - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Flexible user interface, good visibility of data, good support

What is our primary use case?

I starting with the design and discovery phase to detect data issues by using the profiling service, then started to analyze the data to determine and fix issues with it.

How has it helped my organization?

This product really improves my organization and fits all of the needed requirements for working with cleansed data. This helps to prevent issues from appearing in the business layer.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is flexible and the visibility of the data flow is amazing. You can see your data throughout the flow and then you can determine where issues are before fixing them.

What needs improvement?

The tool's performance is an area that should be given further consideration.

I have been using Informatica Data Quality for more than one year.

This is a stable product.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support has been very helpful. Whenever we have a problem, they are able to solve it.

I have experience with a similar solution by IBM.

Informatica platform installation is straightforward. As long as the prerequisites check is done successfully, it will be very easy to do.

IBM
Download our free Data Quality Report and find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Trillium, Oracle, and more!
Updated: September 2022