HPE OneView OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE OneView is the #21 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give HPE OneView an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. HPE OneView is most commonly compared to Cisco Intersight: HPE OneView vs Cisco Intersight. HPE OneView is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the IT Infrastructure Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is HPE OneView?

HPE OneView is your infrastructure automation engine to simplify operations, increasing the speed of IT delivery for new applications and services. Through software defined intelligence, HPE OneView brings a new level of automation to infrastructure management by taking a template driven approach to provisioning, updating, and integrating compute, storage, and networking infrastructure. Designed with a modern, standard-based API and supported by a large and growing partner ecosystem, HPE OneView also makes it easy to integrate powerful infrastructure automation into existing IT tools and processes. Take command with HPE OneView to deploy infrastructure faster, simplify operations and increase productivity.

HPE OneView innovations provide you the industry’s best infrastructure management experience, simplifying operations for HPE BladeSystem, HPE ProLiant servers, 3PAR storage, HPE Networking and HPE ConvergedSystems.

HPE OneView was previously known as HP OneView.

HPE OneView Customers

Asante, ITS Nordics, Columbus Communications, Mansfield Oil

HPE OneView Video

HPE OneView Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE OneView pricing:
  • "The solution is free to use, but if you want the management aspect you require a virtual machine such as C7000 or Synergy which require licenses."
  • "Synergy does not require iLO licenses but servers and enclosures must be purchased."
  • "This license cost for OneView was $3,000 USD."
  • HPE OneView Reviews

Petr Student - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    A great tool for implementing and configuring devices, with good automation
    • "The most valuable features are the composable structure, infrastructure, and automation."
    • "The solution's console can be improved by making it more user-friendly and adding the capability to filter the reports out using only the information required."

What is our primary use case?

The solution has a lot of use cases. The solution is used for implementation and configuration for all devices, creating all structure, and infrastructure configurations, like logical, interconnected groups, enclosure groups, and also, the device connection. The solution is also used for production troubleshooting or change, certificate, and authentication, If you set the infra, you install everything in one shot. You just need to implement devices like Blade or compute notes in Synergy.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the composable structure, infrastructure, and automation. The automation allows a complete implementation of a server with an operating system from start to finish by providing playbooks using the Rest API, and codes, from Ansible and using them towards the solution. The composable infrastructure allows you to move a profile, create a new network and have everything in one place.

What needs improvement?

The technical support for the solution can be improved by adding more knowledgeable people and speeding up their response times. I would like to see updates that are considered critical to users actually labeled as critical updates by HPE.

The solution's console can be improved by making it more user-friendly and adding the capability to filter the reports out using only the information required. I would like to be able to send only one ticket instead of three for the same issue this way I can translate it from Rest API to for example a JSON file with the correct data and send it to our ticket system with one click.

I have been using the solution for six years.

IT Infrastructure Monitoring
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, Zabbix and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: November 2022.
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable for the most part however there have been times when both composers went down and you become blind and can't see any management unless you go to the service console, or connect the server by the ILOM.

I found the technical support for the solution to be slow. There are many times when my requests need to be escalated to the third level because the first two are not able to resolve the issue, and I have to constantly follow up with them.

The previous solution we used was Virtual Connect Enterprise Manager but we had to change because of the automation that is available in the new solution to help with implementation.

The initial setup can be complicated if you are not familiar with enclosure groups, Logical Integrate Groups, networks, and uplink ports. You can also set up the solution using a script by creating the LIGs and network profiles using one script that is input directly into the solution.

The implementation was completed in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution an eight out of ten.

We have around 50 people using the solution on a daily basis including operators and architects.

In my opinion, this solution is good for Synergy but in C7000, we are currently only using it for monitoring, because it is not as good as HPE Virtual Connect Enterprise Manager in this case. The solution works fine, but for the C7000 made on or after 2004  the HPE Virtual Connect Enterprise Manager is more suitable or compliant with this environment. If you are using something newer with some old hardware, it can cause some problems.

For someone wanting to use the solution for the first time, I only recommend it if you are using the Synergy Platform and not the C7000 because the Synergy Platform is already using the HPE hardware and you will not run into as many issues. The Synergy Platform gives you the automation and more bandwidth compared to the old C7000 Platform. The Synergy Platform is also more cost-effective because it requires less hardware.

Technical Architect at HCL Technologies
    Great stability with hypervisor and cluster profiles for easy integration
    • "The hypervisor and cluster profiles make it easy to integrate with VMware."
    • "The solution could add storage, integration services, and end-to-end support for Cisco switches or other competitor products."

What is our primary use case?

Our company served as a testing facility for the solution where thousands of technicians working on different projects, products, and partnerships.

We used the solution to manage platforms, standalone servers, and enclosure frames. We did not directly install the solution, but rather developed plugins for integration with the VMware virtualization platform.

For one use case, we integrated the solution with the Synergy frame to manage platforms contained in single or clustered enclosures.

For another use case, we deployed the solution as an appliance for a virtualization platform, added the enclosures or servers, and called them up via iLO or other management software.

What is most valuable?

The hypervisor and cluster profiles make it easy to integrate with VMware.

What needs improvement?

The solution could add storage, integration services, and end-to-end support for Cisco switches or other competitor products.

There is no partner product to manage standalone Dell services so manual connections or Aruba are required.

I have used the solution for quite a few years.

The solution is quite stable. I have used the solution for many years so do not have stability comparisons with competitor products.

There is some dependency because patches and updates are frequently released. It is important to keep things up-to-date for best stability. This is not considered a drawback but rather a standard procedure for most solutions.

The solution is scalable and I used simulation mode for many enclosures and 400-500 nodes with no inefficiencies.

The simulation included management of internal scripts and nodes with no physical servers or environment. The solution managed these resources without needing physical nodes to be present.

Our team did not need technical support because we were able to solve issues on our own.

Our company was contracted to work solely with the solution and develop multiple servers. We even worked at HPE's headquarters in Texas. We tested any new products, servers, configurations, or architecture with VMware before releasing it into the market.

The setup is easy and offers two installation options.

Synergy can be installed via a USB drive that opens automatically.

The solution can also be installed as a standalone that opens a virtual machine within fifteen minutes for completion of IPE-4 or IPE-6 setups.

User guides are available that include setup overviews and instructions.

Our company completed implementations in-house. Junior technicians who review user guides can easily understand the concepts of configuration and installation.

The solution offers two pricing models.

Synergy does not require iLO licenses but requires the purchase of servers or enclosures that come with the default OneView.

The older platform requires iLO licenses but does not require the purchase of servers. This platform has problems because it is dependent on old class enclosures and hardware that cannot link or be managed with the solution.

We were contracted with the solution so did not evaluate other products.

What other advice do I have?

Before using the solution, read the user and configuration guides which include important information about troubleshooting, recoveries, backups and restores, features, and available support.

I rate the solution an eight out of ten for its Synergy platform.

IT Infrastructure Monitoring
    November 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    A highly stable and reliable solution for centralized management and monitoring
    • "The best part is that you can integrate a two-way network. Earlier we could not manage the storage and ToR switch. Now we can create a LAN with our storage without any interface. In terms of switch management, it is now easy to understand the current configuration. It provides centralized management. It provides a single pane, and you can easily do all updates in one shot. It is a great product."
    • "They can improve reporting and provide more customized reports. Currently, reporting is a bit limited. It can be complex to learn and manage for beginners. Because of my experience, I find it comfortable to manage, which might not be the case with beginners. It would be good if they can make it a little bit easier to understand. They can provide a more graphical view of connectivity and other things. Their technical support can also be improved."

What is our primary use case?

OneView is a monitoring as well as a centralized management solution. We are using it for the virtual data center. We are using it for VMware hypervisors on top of the blades and HPE Synergy.

What is most valuable?

The best part is that you can integrate a two-way network. Earlier we could not manage the storage and ToR switch. Now we can create a LAN with our storage without any interface.

In terms of switch management, it is now easy to understand the current configuration. It provides centralized management. It provides a single pane, and you can easily do all updates in one shot. It is a great product.

What needs improvement?

They can improve reporting and provide more customized reports. Currently, reporting is a bit limited.

It can be complex to learn and manage for beginners. Because of my experience, I find it comfortable to manage, which might not be the case with beginners. It would be good if they can make it a little bit easier to understand. They can provide a more graphical view of connectivity and other things.

Their technical support can also be improved.

I have been using this solution for almost two years. We started working with OneView in 2019.

It is certainly a reliable solution. We switched to this solution almost two years ago, and I have not faced any kind of issues.

We have not tried to expand it. We are a big organization, and in my team, there are almost 200 to 300 people.

Their technical support can be improved. Dell's technical support is better than HPE.

We are also using Dell and Cisco UCS. Dell's technical support is better than HPE. In terms of hardware, stability, and other things, there are no issues.

Its initial setup was not much difficult. I was not much familiar with it at that time, so their technical team guided us. Its documentation is available on the HPE portal.

We took help from HPE.

It was a management decision. They prefer only HPE Synergy. We didn't evaluate any other solution. We are using it in a lot of data centers. We are using something else only in a couple of data centers.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is very stable. There are very few hardware faults with HPE solutions.

I would rate HPE OneView a ten out of ten.

Tuan Anh Bui - PeerSpot reviewer
    Reaserch Engineer at a university with 10,001+ employees
    Provides the strongest support for automation
    • "Provides the strongest support for automation."
    • "Does not allow for switch configuration other than through OneView."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy this system so our customers can deploy it to the cloud. I'm involved in research, deployment and operating systems.

What is most valuable?

HPE provides the strongest support for automation which is very important in the cloud environment.

What needs improvement?

In OneView, the only option is to configure the switch over OneView. Dell provides an option to divide app administration and the ability to configure the switch by SFH. When we debug on switch, we need to access the Azure Edge which provides more information. In OneView, we only have the web interface to check the switch. It lacks flexibility. I think that they should also provide more options in the D device drive. We currently do everything by command, not graphic interface.

I've been using this solution for two years.

A couple of years ago we faced a lot of issues in HPE OneView with crossover. Since then the firmware has improved a lot and is much more stable.

The solution is scalable. In our current projects there is a total of around 6,000 users.

The local customer support here in Vietnam is not good and they sometimes provide an incorrect response. Once you get up to level two and level three support, it's much better. Thankfully there is a lot of information available online.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward. It takes about a day to deploy one system from scratch.

There is no license fee but if you wish to have a warranty, there is an annual charge for that.

I believe the Dell MX7000 is a better solution than OneView because it has the option to divide app administration that OneView does not have.

What other advice do I have?

This solution works well but I prefer the Dell MX7000. I rate OneView eight out of 10.

MD RAJIB - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Solutions Architect Engineer at Smart Technologies (BD) Ltd
    Cloud-based management that provides a single console which is manageable without physical access
    • "OneView provides a single console, which is manageable without physical access."
    • "Integration could be improved. Sometimes OneView doesn't identify physical hardware."

What is our primary use case?

My company is a solution provider. Most of the company uses OneView because it is cloud-based management. Financial institutes and telcos mainly use OneView because it's cloud-based.

The solution is deployed on cloud and on-premises. It's a hybrid solution.

We have plans to increase the usage of HPE OneView in the future.

What is most valuable?

OneView provides a single console, which is manageable without physical access.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be improved. Sometimes OneView doesn't identify physical hardware.

I have used this solution for five years.

It's stable.

It isn't scalable, but there is multiple physical server integration.

Technical support is very good. There are teams in Singapore and Bangladesh.

Previously, we used a different solution. It wasn't single console management. Using physical, multiple servers and engineers is very complex from the customer's end.

Setup isn't complex. Initial setup is completed remotely.

If a customer has multiple servers, they will want OneView.

This license cost for OneView was $3,000 USD.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

The solution is good for customers with multiple physical servers. Overall, the product is very good. The manageability feature is better than Cisco and Dell.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free IT Infrastructure Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, Zabbix, and more!
    Updated: November 2022