Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Dell Data Protection Advisor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell Data Protection Advisor is #46 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Dell Data Protection Advisor an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Dell Data Protection Advisor is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Dell Data Protection Advisor vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Dell Data Protection Advisor is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Dell Data Protection Advisor?

Effectively managing your data protection environment can be labor intensive and complex. It requires knowledge of backup applications, replication technologies, and the entire supporting infrastructure, yet it is critical in keeping your data secure.

With Dell Data Protection Advisor, you can automate and centralize the collection, monitoring and reporting of this data and get a single, comprehensive view of your environment, no matter where your data resides. This includes monitoring data on AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud.

With clear visibility, you can gain actionable insight and effectively manage service levels while reducing costs and complexity. You can also collect and report on that data to help other stakeholders make the best decisions for your organization.

Data Protection Advisor is available as part of Dell Data Protection Suite.

Dell Data Protection Advisor was previously known as DPA.

Dell Data Protection Advisor Customers

Nielsen, Trek Bicycle, Cal-Israel Credit Cards

Dell Data Protection Advisor Video

Dell Data Protection Advisor Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell Data Protection Advisor pricing:
  • "You have to procure the license when you are ordering or quoting for Dell Data Protection Suite (DPS). DPS is bundled with the suite and comes with a license. However, if you purchase NetWorker separately then you will have to procure the license for DPS separately."
  • "For pricing, I would rate Dell 2 out of 5. It's affordable."
  • "It's not very expensive — I think the price is fair."
  • Dell Data Protection Advisor Reviews

Mark Torpy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Protection Specialist at Tech Mahindra Limited
    Easy to use, flexible, configurable dashboards, and effective script capabilities
    • "The solution is easy to use, flexible and has a lot of out-of-the-box functionality. You can configure the dashboards or you can use a script. However, to fully utilize its capabilities you will want to use a lot of scripts which you will need advanced training. The reports can be customized for many things, such as chargeback billing."
    • "There is a steep learning curve to use the interface and to create new reports, this could be made easier. If the solution could provide more drag and drop functionality to build more advanced reports that would be very helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor to receive reports on the health of the daily backups of our data in our organization. The reports give us information in many areas, such as capacity, compression, high and lowest deduplication, workloads, and the number of failures.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use, flexible and has a lot of out-of-the-box functionality. You can configure the dashboards or you can use a script. However, to fully utilize its capabilities you will want to use a lot of scripts which you will need advanced training. The reports can be customized for many things, such as chargeback billing.

Additionally, we are using this solution for Dell, but Data Protection Advisor (DPA) can be used for other backup solutions, such as NetBackup, pfSense, and Veeam Backup. However, you would have to have a license.

What needs improvement?

There is a steep learning curve to use the interface and to create new reports, this could be made easier. If the solution could provide more drag and drop functionality to build more advanced reports that would be very helpful.

In an upcoming release, there could be more analytics for our data giving us more detail. The types of information I would like to see from the backups would be, for example, how many files are old, what are the large file sizes, or unstructured or structured data. Additionally,
    many other solutions today are able to tell you a lot of additional information, such as how much space is used in your backups or other information if you change your policies. It can also give you advice on how to optimize your environment for the backups to allow cost savings. DPA should follow suit to stay competitive and it would provide a great benefit to users.

I have been using this solution for approximately seven years.

Backup and Recovery Software
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: September 2022.
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable.

In our data center managed services environment, there is not a very large space where we have a team of approximately 15 people using the solution.

Technical support is good and they provide break/fix support. Anything that does not work or your DPA has an issue they are helpful. If you upgrade the solution using standalone DPA and you wish to upgrade it to a higher level, they will give you support documentation on how to do it. Alternatively, they will show you how to do it, but they will not assist you with the actual deployment unless you run into a problem them then there will come in as prefix support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It comes built-in with IDPA. Previously, if you were using this solution separately, with a license for NetWorker, and you bought Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor then you would have to install it. Otherwise, if you are using an appliance, such as IDPA, then it comes built-in and there is no effort to install. There are a lot of built-in reports that are easy to select the type and pick the destination devices, such as Avamar, NetWorker, and Data Domain. Once you have selected those parameters and scheduled them, you are done. If you want to save the report to a portal or to an email it is flexible.

If you are doing the installation separately it could take a couple of hours to install and configure. However, the time will also depend on your environment and it may take quite some time to configure new reports in that new environment as they have to be configured manually.

For the main deployment, we had professional services from DELL do the IDPA and some other aspects of the installation, but they did not need to work specifically on DPA. We did the configuration of the reports.

If you want more advanced reporting you need to engage with professional services if you do not have skilled employees to do the configuration.

The people who designed and configured the reports are limited in my organization. There are a couple of people who do the design of the reports and management. The rest of them receive the reports as end-users. Additionally, there are times we send the reports to management to get customized for customers.

You have to procure the license when you are ordering or quoting for Dell Data Protection Suite (DPS). DPS is bundled with the suite and comes with a license. However, if you purchase NetWorker separately then you will have to procure the license for DPS separately.

I have evaluated many other backup solutions, such as NetBackup, pfSense, and Veeam Backup.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is if you are using Dell EMC, DPA is a must. You are going to need a good reporting tool and DPA is the tool that is required to provide that level of reporting.

It is worth noting, DPA comes with the same data protection advisor bundled with Integrated Data Protection Appliance (IDPA) and you would be using the same reports.

I rate Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor an eight out of ten.

Enterprise Backup Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Enables you to make informed decisions faster with increased efficiency
    • "It has a lot of stock reports. I believe over 300 canned reports, which for the most part meet a lot of generic needs."
    • "They should empower their customers with the ability to upgrade this solution as long as it's in the same major release."

What is our primary use case?

Our use is limited to backup and recovery.

What is most valuable?

It has a lot of stock reports. I believe over 300 canned reports, which for the most part meet a lot of generic needs. As far as creating customer ports this solution has definitely evolved and become more of a construct to where you can build reports as long as you know your data sets and really customize them for your customer's environment.

In the same hindrance — this is a plus and a minus —, because Data Protection Advisor is a multi-platform, multi-vendor product, if you look for something that you know is called X in one product, it may not be called X in DPA. Column for column, that creates a mapping challenge. An example would be policy. In policy, it's called "group" in DPA.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement. EMC, Dell as of late has dragged behind in their Java protocol, keeping up with Java and security vulnerabilities. They should empower their customers with the ability to upgrade this solution as long as it's in the same major release or in another way that allows those security vulnerabilities to be addressed quicker.

I'd like to see better hooks into other analytic applications, like Splunk. That's really a partnership relationship versus EMC Dell control.

I have been using Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor for almost a decade.

For the most part, it serves my needs. There hasn't really been a report that I can't create as long as the data is collected for the backup product. Regarding general ability, it's fairly light on the agent side for the clients.

Throughout the years they've been very, very good. In the early days, I ran into some SQL corruption back in the 5X. When they went to 6X, they redid their database; there was definitely a performance change and some different nuances. They did pretty well over the duration.

The initial setup all depends on what your requirements are for deployment. In a simple lab, it's very easy to deploy. If you're setting up a two-data store and application server, there is a little more to it because you've got to deal with that secondary data store, but also if you're dealing with it in a cluster, there's another level of complexity. It's all dependent on how you're deploying it.

As an engineer architect, ROI is not really my area of focus. Does it provide from a technical perspective, what I need? Yes, to do my job.

What other advice do I have?

Know your client and understand their policies. Licensing is a big one, which a lot of people get messed over.

overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Backup and Recovery Software
    September 2022
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mario Castillo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Jefe de IT at Asociación de Azucareros de Guatemala
    Reseller
    Backup solution that improved our RTO and RPO
    • "The deduplication is probably the most valuable feature of that requirement."
    • "It is difficult to manage the solution with the available tools. You need to know exactly what are you are doing."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using this solution for backup. We upload our backup to the cloud, but it is not a hybrid environment. I use it for backup mostly and access the backup on-premise. We are resellers.

The solution is deployed on-premises.

We have plans to increase usage of backup and deduplication that we are going to apply to end users.

How has it helped my organization?

As an example, we improved our RTO and RPO. Before using this solution, we had a ransomware event and suffered because of it.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication is probably the most valuable feature of that requirement.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to manage the solution with the available tools. You need to know exactly what are you are doing. In some cases, we needed to contact Dell to solve some problems.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is great.

The solution is not that easy to use, but Dell's support is great.

Initial setup was complex. I would rate it 3 out of 5.

We required two people for deployment and maintenance.

We used a consultant.

We have seen ROI in the two years we have been using the solution.

For pricing, I would rate Dell 2 out of 5. It's affordable.

There are a lot of additional fees, because we needed consultants to implement the solution. The majority of the cost of the implementation was consultants.

We evaluated Veeam Backup. The price was the reason for our decision to use Dell, and because it includes the data store.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

It would be a 10 for me if there were more features for disaster recovery. For someone who wants to implement this solution, my advice is that they need advanced knowledge about the solution. It can't be implemented without technical experience.

Anteneh Asnake - PeerSpot reviewer
    Modern Data Center and Cloud Engineer II at IE Network Solutions PLC
    MSP
    A stable solution with detailed reporting features
    • "It generates very detailed reports, which makes things easier when it comes to IT auditing."
    • "It's a bit difficult for first-time users."

What is our primary use case?

We have one customer that uses this solution. We have one technical team member that handles all maintenance-related issues.

What is most valuable?

This solution is great for IT auditing. The reporting has many capabilities, including the implementation of charts. It also includes a standard reporting mode.

It can support many backup solutions; you can even backup hosts. It generates very detailed reports, which makes things easier when it comes to IT auditing.

What needs improvement?

It's a bit difficult for first-time users. It could be easier to use, overall. For example, when searching for one specific feature, you need to go through many tabs, which can be confusing if you don't know what you're doing. If this process was simplified, it would be very time-efficient.

One of our customers has been using this solution for two years.

Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor is not very scalable.

The initial installation is quite straightforward. Deployment took roughly 45 minutes.

We need to add additional licenses for support so that the IT monitoring process will be very smooth.

Our customer pays for the license. It's not very expensive — I think the price is fair. Considering the number of features, the price is moderate.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Senior Engineer at WellCare Health Plans, Inc.
    Data protection solution that needs improvement across all features and overall advisor functionality
    • "This is a stable solution."
    • "The functionality of the Data Protection Advisor is limited and is something that is lacking in this solution. Other solutions like CloudIQ and DDMC provide a much better outlook on how data protection should be done."

What is our primary use case?

We do not use it very often because the other data domain products that we use make it obsolete.

How has it helped my organization?

DPA only has value as a reporting tool for auditors. It has provided no value as a tool to improve the efficiency of our backup environment.

What is most valuable?

DPA can provide daily report cards for our auditors, which fulfills our reporting requirements.

What needs improvement?

The functionality of the Data Protection Advisor is limited and is something that is lacking in this solution. Other solutions like CloudIQ and DDMC provide a much better outlook on how data protection should be done. DDMC provides a single pane of glass overview of our PowerProtect systems and CloudIQ can predict future issues based on current trends. DPA, contrary to it's name, provides no ability to advise. It only runs simple reports based on imported data.

I have been using this solution for three years.

This is a stable solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a three out of ten.

Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Veeam Software, Commvault, and more!
    Updated: September 2022