IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Amazon Step Functions OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon Step Functions is #15 ranked solution in BPM Software. PeerSpot users give Amazon Step Functions an average rating of 10 out of 10. Amazon Step Functions is most commonly compared to Apache Airflow: Amazon Step Functions vs Apache Airflow. Amazon Step Functions is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 76% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a media company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Amazon Step Functions?

AWS Step Functions lets you coordinate multiple AWS services into serverless workflows so you can build and update apps quickly. Using Step Functions, you can design and run workflows that stitch together services such as AWS Lambda and Amazon ECS into feature-rich applications. Workflows are made up of a series of steps, with the output of one step acting as input into the next. Application development is simpler and more intuitive using Step Functions, because it translates your workflow into a state machine diagram that is easy to understand, easy to explain to others, and easy to change. You can monitor each step of execution as it happens, which means you can identify and fix problems quickly. Step Functions automatically triggers and tracks each step, and retries when there are errors, so your application executes in order and as expected.

Amazon Step Functions was previously known as AWS Step Functions, Step Functions.

Amazon Step Functions Customers

Alpha Apps, The Guardian, SGK, Bigfinite

Amazon Step Functions Video

Amazon Step Functions Reviews

GiuseppeDe Candia - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO & Co-founder at Weri
Enabled my organization to create workflows with a lot of different AWS services
  • "It's a general solution that you can adapt to your own needs and is simple to use. We like that it can be integrated with everything in the AWS suite, and that the creation of the pipeline can be done using the graphical user interface."
  • "Setup took about one day. We had some errors to understand in the beginning, but now everything is working good."

What is our primary use case?

In terms of our use case, we are building a pipeline to manage data. It's pretty simple. We validate the data and then write it in the database.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled my organization to create workflows with a lot of different AWS services. It's a general solution that you can adapt to your own needs and is simple to use.

What is most valuable?

When it comes to valuable features, we like that it includes everything that’s connected to AWS which means that it can be integrated with everything in the AWS suite. We also like that the creation of the pipeline can be done using the graphical user interface. It's pretty easy because you don't have to write the code to create the tasks.

We are building our software and we just released our NDP internally, so I've been using it for almost three months.
Business Process Management (BPM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Apache, Camunda and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: June 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's stable and the responsibility is very good.

We are a four-person team, and for the moment I am the only one with access to Amazon Step Functions. We are an early-stage startup, so we are scaling and building our platform. We are looking for companies to test our software.

We met one of them just last week, so they are available. They are helpful.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

When I used Apache Airflow, the main problems were that the debugging phase was not so easy and Apache Airflow only accepted Python code. It was only Python-based. On the other hand, Amazon Step Functions allows you to use different kinds of codes.

It was not so complex. It's pretty easy because as I mentioned, you can use the GUI to create the pipelines and the workflows. It took about one day, because we had to set a couple of things. We had to understand some errors, but now everything is working good.

We did the implementation in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend speaking to a consultant if you are not familiar with workflow managers. Otherwise, it's very easy to understand how a workflow can be composed. I rate it a 9 out of 10.

Download our free Business Process Management (BPM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Apache, Camunda, and more!
Updated: June 2022